Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

779 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 579
 
Darlingside Marker image, Click for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., March 16, 2017
Darlingside Marker
Ontario (Leeds and Grenville Counties), Darlingside — Darlingside

Darlingside is a rare surviving example of the wood depots which provided an essential fuelling service during the early phase of steamboat navigation on Lake Ontario and the upper St. Lawrence River. Thomas Darling, a Scottish immigrant, . . . — Map (db m102088) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville Counties), Darlingside — The Darling Store / Le magasin DarlingCanada's National Parks and National Historic Sites

Long before roads penetrated the dense forests of the Thousand Islands, the St. Lawrence River was the highway to the interior of Canada.

Vessels of all types plied the waters. Bateaux and durham boats carried produce from nearby farms to . . . — Map (db m102092) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville Counties), Darlingside — The Thousand IslandsCanada's National Parks and National Historic Sites

The Thousand Islands are the roots of an ancient Precambrian mountain range ground down by successive glaciations to granite bedrock. Over the centuries the bare, gnarled hills were covered with rich forests and carpets of wildflowers. Where . . . — Map (db m102090) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville Counties), Darlingside — Thousand Islands Bridge System1938

The tons of explosives, concrete and steel used to create the five spans of the bridge system only hint of the tremendous efforts to create the bridge system. Glad of getting work in the Great Depression, the workers took any job they could . . . — Map (db m102054) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville Counties), Kemptville — Prescott Street Bridge

The South Branch of the Rideau River has played a vital part in the history of Kemptville. The small settlement, first known as "The Branch" when it was established in the early 1800s, then became known as Clothier's Mill before it was renamed . . . — Map (db m102077) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville Counties), Kemptville — St. James' Memorial Church

This Church was erected "to the honour of Almighty God and in memory of the late Venerable Archdeacon Patton, first Rector of this Parish." The cornerstone was laid on 28th. May 1878 by the Rt. Rev. John Travers Lewis, Lord Bishop of Ontario. . . . — Map (db m102076) HM

Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Campeche Library
Biblioteca Campeche Al instalarse los españoles en el año 1540 y nombrar Villa de San Francisco de Campeche a esta región, cambia la estructura gubernamental establecida por los mayas, así como su traza urbana. De esta manera los edificios . . . — Map (db m101712) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Tehuacán), Tehuacán — General José María Morelos y Pavón
El Generalisimo Don Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon, dirigió desde este sitio su segunda campaña del 10 de agosto al 10 de noviembre de 1812. Firmaba sus documentos desde el "Palacio Nacional en Tehuacan" Aquí ordeno el entierro del invicto . . . — Map (db m102025) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of San Miguel de Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — Lockheed T-33.
Avión de fabricación norteamericana de propulsión a reacción producido por la “Lockheed Aircraft Company”. En febrero de 1961 llego a México el primer T-33 y se mantuvo en operación durante 46 años salvaguardando el espacio aéreo . . . — Map (db m101633) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of San Miguel de Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — Mexican Air Force Expeditionary Squadron 201 Memorial
F.A.E.M. Escuadrón 201. Que su ejemplo y sacrificio constituya una herencia de honor para Mexico Subtte. P.A. Mario Fernando López Portillo Nació en México D.F. 08 Jun 1921 – 21 Jul 1945 Murió en Servicio por el Honor de México Tte. . . . — Map (db m101664) WM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of San Miguel de Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — Monument to Gonzálo Guerrero
En 1511, un grupo de naufragos españoles arribo a Yucatan de ellos solo dos sobrevivían al llegar Hernan Cortes a Cozumel En 1519 enterado el hispano Jerónimo de Aguilar retorno a los suyos y fue interprete del conquistador el otro Gonzalo . . . — Map (db m101676) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of San Miguel de Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — North American T-28A Trojan
Avión North American T-28A Trojan de fabricación norteamericana producido por la compañía “North American” En 1958 fueron adquiridos los primeros T-28A Trojan y se mantuvieron en operación hasta 1982. Con estas aeronaves de . . . — Map (db m101634) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of San Miguel de Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — The Arrival of the Spanish in Cozumel
fue a 3 dias del mes de Mayo cuando avistamos esa Tierra Nueva y por ser dia de la Santa Cruz asi le llamamos”… Bernal Díaz del Castillo. Cronista de la Conquista. El capitán Juan de Grijalva al mando de 4 navios descubrió Cozumel para el . . . — Map (db m101615) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Tulum), Cobá — Nohoch Mul Group
Grupo Nohoch Mul Este grupo cubre un área de 2400 m2 y se construyo sobre una elevación natural del terreno. Tiene la estructura mas alta del norte de la península de Yucatan (42 m). El edificio conocido como Nohoch-Mul (1), nombre que proviene . . . — Map (db m101721) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Tulum), Cobá — Paintings Complex
Conjunto Pinturas Este grupo de edificaciones corresponde en su mayoria al último periodo ocupacional en Cobá. El edificio I (1) tiene un templo en la parte superior cuyo friso y dintel estaban ricamente pintados en su interior, asi como como . . . — Map (db m101716) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Tulum), Cobá — The City of Cobá
La ciudad de Cobá cubre una superficie de 70 km. y sus principales grupos de edificios se sitúan cerca de los lagos Cobá y Macanxoc. Tiene una importante red de caminos (sacbeoob) de diversas longitudes, que la unen con otros grupos de edificios y . . . — Map (db m101713) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Tulum), Tulum — Temple of the Descending GodEl Templo del Dios Descendente
Sin duda, es uno de los más bellos de Tulum. Su nombre se debe a que en el nicho situado en la parte superior de la puerta, destaca la escultura de un personaje con alas que está descendiendo del cielo. Sus piernas están hacia arriba, sus brazos . . . — Map (db m101680) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Tulum), Tulum — The Caste War 1847-1900Mirador Histórico / Historical viewpoint
La guerra de castas 1847-1900. La explotación indígena hizo que los mayas de la región oriental de la Península de Yucatán se levantaran en armas en diferentes momentos. En 1847 se inicia un levantamiento armado llamado la Guerra . . . — Map (db m101666) WM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Tulum), Tulum — The CastleEl Castillo
Es el edificio más imponente de Tulum y, sin dude, fue también el más importante. Sin embargo, hace más de 500 años lo debió aún ser más, pues la fachada estaba pintada de vivos colores y decorada con esculturas; además, en sus esquinas, tuvo . . . — Map (db m101691) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Tulum), Tulum — The House of the CenoteLa Casa del Cenote
Una característica relevante de los poblados mayas de la Costa Oriental, fue la construcción de templos o casas cerca de fuentes de agua como cenotes y chultunes (que es un tipo de cisterna) o altares en el interior de cuevas. Este . . . — Map (db m101694) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Tulum), Tulum — The Palace of the Great Lord
Éste es uno de los edificios en los que vivían los pobladores más importantes de Tulum. Está formado por varios cuartos amplios que fueron cubiertos con techos planos apoyados sobre columnas, mismas que soportaban vigas de madera entrecruzadas y . . . — Map (db m101693) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Tulum), Tulum — The Temple of the StelaTemplo de la Estela
Las estelas son monumentos de piedra generalmente de rectangulares y con superficies planas. En ellas, además de grabar figuras humanas, de animales y dioses, los mayas esculpían – y a veces pintaban – glifos y números que conformaban . . . — Map (db m101695) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Tulum), Tulum — Trade and NavigationComercio y navegación
Santuario and puerto seguro. Los mayas participaron en el circuito comercial que abarcaba desde el centro de México hasta Honduras, para ello recorrían tierra adentro y navegaban por las costas, bahías, caletas y ensenadas, así como ríos, . . . — Map (db m101678) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Izamal), Izamal — Fray Diego de Landa
Fray Diego de Landa Contradictorio provincial de hierro. Fanático destructor e incansable constructor. Luz y sombra. Persiguió a los mayas como inquisidor. Como obispo los defendió de los encomenderos. Hizo el auto de fe de Maní y la . . . — Map (db m102015) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Izamal), Izamal — Monsignor Crescencio Carrillo y Ancona
Monseñor Crescencio Carrillo y Ancona Monseñor Crescencio Carrillo y Ancona nació el 19 de abril de 1837 en Izamal, Yucatán, y falleció en el año 1897. Sacerdote y obispo católico, versado historiador de la antigua civilización Maya. Escribio . . . — Map (db m102014) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Izamal), Izamal — Ricardo López Méndez
Al eximio izamaleño “El Vate” Ricardo Lopez Mendez 7 Feb. 1903 – 28 Dic. 1989 Poeta. Literato. Periodista. Autor del poema credo “Mexico Creo en Ti.” Le musicalizaron mas de un centenar de canciones inmortales . . . — Map (db m101982) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Izamal), Izamal — The Convent of St. Anthony of Padua
Convento de San Antonio de Padua Este convento fue fundado en 1549 por los frailes Franciscanos, pero no fue sino hasta algunos años después cuando se inició su construcción, bajo el cuidado de Fray Diego de Landa. Se erigió sobre las ruinas . . . — Map (db m101984) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Maní), Maní — The Franciscan Temple and Ex-Convent of San Miguel ArcángelRuta de la Cultura / A Cultural Route
Templo y Ex Convento Franciscano de San Miguel Arcángel El pueblo de Maní fue un importante asiento indígena, cabecera del cacicazgo Xiu, lugar de origen de Tutul Xiul, cacique maya que se alió con Francisco de Montejo en contra de los Cocom de . . . — Map (db m101883) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Coronel Sebastián Molas
Al Coronel D. Sebastian Molas. Martir del federalismo en Yucatan 1819-1853. English translation: To Coronel D. Sebastián Molas. Martyr to Federalism in Yucatán 1819-1853. — Map (db m102087) WM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — House of Mr. Andrés Quintana Roo
Casa de Don Andrés Quintana Roo Sobria casona del siglo XVIII cuyo valor histórico radica en que en ella se dice que nació en 1787 Don Andrés Quintana Roo, importante figura del México Insurgente, jurisconsulto, embajador, diputado, periodista, . . . — Map (db m102094) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Hotel Mérida
“El Hotel Merida” Abrio sus puertas al turismo nacional e internacional en agosto de 1942 Hoy a 54 años de aquel gran acontecimiento el Sr. Gobernador Constitucional del estado C. Victor Cervera Pacheco nos honro, develando esta . . . — Map (db m102026) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Saint Lucia Neighborhood
Barrio de Santa Lucía Destinado originalmente para albergar a los esclavos negros al servicio de los españoles, el templo que dio nombre a este barrio se construye en 1575 por el encomendero D. Pedro García, destinando el terreno aledaño para . . . — Map (db m102045) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — House of the Grinding Stones & House of the “Mestizas”
Casa de los Metates y Casa de las Mestizas Forman un complejo de cuartos con amplios pórticos conectados entre si que deben haber servido de residencia a personas o familias relacionadas con el mantenimiento y el uso ceremonial del complejo . . . — Map (db m101946) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — Platform of the Tombs
Plataforma de las Tumbas Esta estructura tuvo un uso funerario, probablemente sirvió para almacenar huesos humanos desenterrados de otras tumbas. Se hallaron varias puntas de flecha, navajillas de obsidiana, cuentas de hueso y concha, además de . . . — Map (db m101935) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — Platform of Venus and Round Platform
Plataforma de Venus y Plataforma Redonda La Plataforma de Venus es muy similar a la del mismo nombre en la Plaza de El Castillo. En sus relieves se encuentra, al centro de los paneles, un Hombre Pájaro-Serpiente, que se considera una . . . — Map (db m101937) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — Sacbeob 5 & 15Roadways 5 and 15
Sacbeoob 5 y 15 El sacbé 5 es un camino que comunica la Plaza Norte con el El Caracol. Existen tres épocas de construcción: las dos primeras tenían por límite una sencilla hilera de piedras y la tercera, muros un poco más altos que los ahora . . . — Map (db m101933) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — Temple of the Large Tables
Templo de las Grandes Mesas Pequeña pirámide formada por un basamento de cuatro cuerpos, con una construcción superior en donde se hallan unos altares rectangulares sostenidos por pequeños atlantes, de los cuales proviene el nombre del . . . — Map (db m101884) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — Temple of the Small Tables
Templo de las Pequeñas Mesas Este edificio presenta una distribución similar a la del Templo de los Guerreros. Cuenta con una escalinata central que comunica a los dos cuartos superiores, los cuales tuvieron techos abovedados sostenidos por . . . — Map (db m101899) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — Temple of Xtoloc
Templo del Xtoloc Recibe su nombre del Cenote Xtoloc, el segundo gran cenote en el centro de Chichén Itzá, junto al cual se situa. Su función probable fue el culto religioso, quizá relacionado con el cenote, y su construcción data de 900 a 1200 . . . — Map (db m101928) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — The Castle or Temple of Kukulcán
El Castillo o Templo del Kukulkan También llamado Templo de Kukulcán, es la construcción dominante del sector norte de la ciudad. Junto con la plataforma de Venus y el sacbé que conduce al Cenote Sagrado forma un conjunto representativo del . . . — Map (db m101796) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — The Church
La Iglesia Este pequeño edificio de un solo cuarto debe su nombre a su cercania al supuesto “convento” de Las Monjas y a la exuberante decoración de su fachada superior a la que se añade, ademas, una cresteria volante. En las grecas . . . — Map (db m101978) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — The Colonnade of the Northeastern Corner
El acceso por el lado sur, y su unión con otras columnatas elevadas al norte, indican se usó para separar lo que acontecía en la plaza que se encuentra a sus pies. Esta secuencia de edificios muestra por lo menos, dos etapas constructivas. En la . . . — Map (db m101891) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — The Great Ball Court
El Gran Juego de Pelota Es la cancha de juego más grande de Mesoamérica. Cuenta con dos largas construcciones laterales, donde se ubican los anillos de piedra con imágenes de serpientes emplumadas y el talud con escenas de sacrificio de . . . — Map (db m101845) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — The Market
El Mercado Es uno de los mejores ejemplos de las estructuras del tipo “galeria y patio" localizadas en el sitio, en el crual los arquitectos mayas lograron avances constructivos como las bóvedas más anchas y las columnas más altas. . . . — Map (db m101901) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — The Northern Colonnade
Columnata Norte Este edificio delimita por completo el lado Norte de la Plaza y originalmente tuvo un techo sostenido por columnas y pilares con bajorrelieves de guerreros en la parte frontal. En el interior podemos observar una banqueta que . . . — Map (db m101890) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — The Nunnery Patios and Ball Court
Patios este, suroeste y juego de pelota de las Monjas Complementan al conjunto de las Monjas dos patios con edificios del estilo Puuc, probablemente habitados por algún linaje o grupo de nivel social alto, así como un Juego de Pelota con . . . — Map (db m101980) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — The Observatory
El Caracol Estructura conocida también como "El Observatorio" debido a su forma y a algunas posibles asociaciones astrales, ya que para las tres ventanas de la parte superior se han propuesto una serie de alineaciones relacionadas con eventos . . . — Map (db m101948) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — The Ossuary or Tomb of the Great Priest
El Osario o Tumba del Gran Sacerdote La importancia de este edificio de cuatro escaleras con alfardas formadas por serpientes entrelazadas, radica en estar construido sobre una profunda cueva. Su función original no fue funeraria, sino más bien . . . — Map (db m101939) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — The Palace of the Sculpted Columns
Por su destacado trabajo en bajorrelieve en jambas y columnas, es uno de los edificios más importantes del lado este de la Plaza. Sus características arquitectónicas advierten una función cívico-religiosa. Cuenta con una galería frontal y una . . . — Map (db m101894) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — The Platform of Eagles and Jaguars
Plataforma de las Aguilas y los Jaguares Esta plataforma rectangular guarda semejanza con la de Venus y otras construcciones de estilo Maya-Tolteca. Posee cuatro escalinatas, una en cada uno de sus lados. En las alfardas de estas escalinatas se . . . — Map (db m101797) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — The Plaza of the Thousand Columns
Plaza de las Mil Columnas Su principal características son los amplios espacios abovedados sostenidos por columnas. Es probable que la función de esta Plaza haya cido cívico-religiosa; su construcción se fecha en el periodo Clásico . . . — Map (db m101889) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — The Sacred Cenote
Cenote Sagrado Las fuentes históricas mayas lo definen como un important centro de culto y peregrinaje entre los siglos V y XVI d.C. En él se realizaron rituales y ofrendaron objetos de oro, cobre, tumbaga, obsidiana, sílex, concha, madera, . . . — Map (db m101824) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — The Southeastern Colonnade
Columnata Sureste Originalmente era un amplio espacio techado y soportado por bóvedas que descansaban sobre largas filas de columnas. Este edificio, que cierra el ángulo Sureste de la Plaza, muestra claramente las modificaciones que sufrió por . . . — Map (db m101904) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Tinum), Pisté — The Temple of the Warriors
Templo de los Guerreros Este edificio debe su nombre a pilastras con representaciones de guerreros. Está construido sobre un antiguo edificio conocido como el Templo del Chac mool, en cuyas paredes y pilastras interiores hay representaciones, . . . — Map (db m101888) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Birth House of Delio Moreno Cantón
Casa Donde Nació Delio Moreno Cantón La casa en la que nació don Delio Moreno Cantón es una de las casas con mayor historia en la Sultana del Oriente; fue morada de don Roque Rosado, procurador de la villa en 1810, perteneció en 1835 a don . . . — Map (db m101697) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Cenote “Sis-Há”El Convento de Sisal a Través de la Historia / History of the Sisal Monastery
El cenote Sis-Há se encuentra bajo el ex Convento de San Bernardino de Siena y representa el primer depósito natural con vestigios que son producto de uno o varios movimientos armados. Este cenote, cuyo nombre en maya significa “pozo de agua . . . — Map (db m101733) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Centralist Federalist War
Guerra Federalista Centralista En enero de 1847, ocurrió el segundo acontecimiento que marcaría la casta heroica del pueblo vallisoletano. En enero de 1846 Yucatán se proclamó por segunda vez independiente de la República Mexicana en defensa . . . — Map (db m101753) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Convent of San Bernardino de Siena (Saint Berardine of Siena)
Convento de San Bernardino de Siena En el año de 1552 se comenzó la construcción de la iglesia y el convento bajo la dirección de Fray Hernando de Guevara, Francisco de la Torre y Fray Juan de Mérida, este último abandonó la espada para acoger . . . — Map (db m101707) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Fiesta de la Candelaria
Fiesta de la Candelaria En la Candelaria se realiza el culto a la Virgen del mismo nombre. Este culto es el más importante de la ciudad y es motivo actual del desarrollo de la Feria agrícola, ganadera, comercial, turística y artesanal de . . . — Map (db m101773) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — First Steam-Powered Textile Mill
Primera Fábrica Textil Movida por Vapor La “Aurora Yucateca” fue la primera fábrica en México impulsada por las nuevas y modernas máquinas de vapor. La industria textil en Valladolid fue otro sustento económico de la región en el . . . — Map (db m101764) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Mayan House
Casa Maya Esta casita maya se conservó y restauró durante los trabajos de rescate de imagen urbana que se realizaron en 1996-1998 por ser arquitectura vernáculo en su edificio y muro de piedra (albarrada) características representativas de la . . . — Map (db m101730) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Park of the Neighborhood of the Candelaria
Parque del Barrio de La Candelaria El parque del Barrio de la Candelaria fue construido el 21 de Marzo de 1981, a solicitud de un grupo de vecinos para mejorar sus condiciones de habitabilidad, en lo que fuera la gran plaza atrial del templo y . . . — Map (db m101772) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Road of the Friars
Calzada de los Frailes La Calzada de los Frailes fue construida en el S. XVI para unir a la villa de Valladolid con el pueblo de indios de Sisal, existe un croquis y descripciones de la época, es una especie de callejón que une al barrio de . . . — Map (db m101700) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Sisal Neighborhood
Barrio del Sisal El nombre de Sisal se deriva del maya Ziiz-Ha que se traduce al castellano como Agua Fría, posiblemente por el cenote que existe hasta el presente en el convento y sobre cuya bóveda se cultivó una célebre huerta. Fue el pueblo . . . — Map (db m101705) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — The Author of “Ojos Tristes” (Sad Eyes)
El Autor de los “Ojos Tristes” En esta casa vivió su infancia el laureado escritor y poeta Don Alfredo Aguilar Alfaro, quien naciera en la población de Calotmul, Yucatán el 20 de Octubre de 1902; sus primeros estudios los realizó en . . . — Map (db m101748) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — The Crime of the Mayors
El Crimen de los Alcaldes En 1705, esta iglesia fue demolida por orden del obispo Don Pedro de los Reyes Ríos a raíz de su profanación en el llamado “Crimen de los Alcaldes”; evento en el cual el Capitán Hipólito de Osorno, una . . . — Map (db m101747) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — The WaterwheelEl Convento de Sisal a Través de la Historia / History of the Sisal Monastery
Este imponente estructura, cuya construcción concluyó en 1613, es ejemplo de una avanzada ingeniería hidáulica y la segunda noria más grande de Yucatán. En su interior se encuentra una de las bocas del cenote que salía hacia la cocina, de donde . . . — Map (db m101745) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — Cotton and Creek Country — Creek Heritage Trail
A primary factor in the eventual expulsion of the Creeks from their ancestral homeland was the fact that their territory was some of the best suited in the nation for the production of cotton. Containing enormous tracts of productive soils, a long . . . — Map (db m101658) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Barlow Bend — French's Chapel
First church building of record in Clarke County. Erected here in 1810 by John French of Virginia, who organized Methodist congregation here 1811. Combined with Gainestown Church 1897. — Map (db m101575) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Carlton — Mt. Nebo Death Masks
Side 1 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Mt. Nebo Cemetery is home to the unique folk art of African American inventor and artist, Issac "Ike" Nettles, who used concrete to make images of living people's faces for . . . — Map (db m101576) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Gainestown — Gainestown
Founded in 1809 by George Strother Gaines as Choctaw-Creek Indian Trading Post on Alabama River, now Gainestown Landing. Here lived Alabama Indians for whom State & River named. At Battle of Maubila De Soto's hogs escaped, from whence . . . — Map (db m101609) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Gainestown — The Canoe Fight
Side 1 On November 12, 1813, the Canoe Fight, one of the key assaults of the Creek War, took place nearby at the mouth of Randon’s Creek where it flows into the Alabama River. Following the Fort Mims Massacre in August, small bands of . . . — Map (db m101574) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Jackson — C S A Brooke Cannon S-96
  The Brooke cannon designed by Captain John M. Brooke C.S. Navy, and manufactured in Selma, Alabama, was credited by experts North and South the most powerful cannon used in the War for Southern Independence its range was up to 2200 yards. . . . — Map (db m101571) HM WM
Alabama (Clarke County), Jackson — City of Jackson
Side 1 First home of Creek and Choctaw Indians, Jackson’s first pioneer settlers arrived about 1800. The little village was first called Republicville, then Pine Level, before its incorporation by an act of the Mississippi Territory . . . — Map (db m101591) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Jackson — First District Agricultural College and Experiment Station1896—1936
On this site was located the First District Agricultural College, authorized by an act of the Alabama Legislature and opened in 1896. The street in front was changed from Grove Hill Road to College Avenue in honor of the new school. An Experimental . . . — Map (db m101603) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Jackson — Jackson
First village called Republicville. Town laid out in 1815 by Pine Level Land Company and named Pine Level. Incorporated 1816 and renamed Jackson for General Andrew Jackson. First commissioners, David Taylor, David White, Reuben Saffold, Peregrin . . . — Map (db m101589) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Jackson — Jackson Prisoner of War Camp
Side 1 Just west of this spot, along Ocre Ave. on a 10-acre tract, was the site of a WWII prisoner of war camp. The camp was one of twenty such labor camps in Alabama. Hdqrs. for the camp was at Camp Shelby in Hattisburg, MS. The camp . . . — Map (db m101593) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Jackson — The Clarke County War Memorial
Dedicated 1998 A.D. to the Clarke Countians Known and unknown That made the Supreme sacrifice By giving their Lives for their Country and for What they believed in — Map (db m101813) WM
Alabama (Clarke County), Jackson — Upper Salt Works
The area from Stave Creek to Jackson Creek was one of sites for the making of salt during the years 1862-64. Furnaces of native stone were built and salt water from dug wells evaporated by boiling in large kettles. Amount of salt six hundred . . . — Map (db m101607) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Rockville — Bartram's Trail
William Bartram, America’s first native born artist-naturalist, passed through Clarke County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain’s King George . . . — Map (db m101568) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Rockville — Central Salt Works
Here was located the large and important Central Salt Works. Official government reports indicate that salt was being mined at this works as early as 1816, but the Indians had obtained salt here for centuries prior to this. During the blockade of . . . — Map (db m101605) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Rockville — Gravesite of Major Jeremiah Austill
Side 1 Near this site, is the gravesite of Maj. Jeremiah Austill, folk hero & prominent figure in the early settlement of Clarke County. Born in 1794 in S. C., he lived, along with his parents, Capt. Evan and Sara Austill, among the . . . — Map (db m101588) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Suggsville — Fort Madison-Creek War 1812-13
This marks the site of pioneer stockade commanded by Captains Sam Dale and Evan Austill. Choctaw Chieftain Pushmattaha often here. Expedition terminating in noted Canoe Fight on Alabama River immediately east of this site, was . . . — Map (db m101566) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Thomasville — Thomasville War MemorialLest We Forget
Dedicated to the Glory of God and in Honor of the Men and Women who have Served their Country — Map (db m101611) WM
Alabama (Clarke County), Thomasville — Thomasville's Early History
Side 1 In the summer of 1887, a notice was published confirming that the route for the Mobile and West Alabama Railroad would be the Choctaw Corner route. Soon the sounds of building could be heard over the swamp that was the . . . — Map (db m101601) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Thomasville — Williams’ Temple CME Church
Side 1 Founded by the CME (Christian Methodist Episcopal) Church as the only school for black students in the area in the early 1900’s, Williams’ Temple eventually consolidated with another school in Booker City to form Miles College . . . — Map (db m101596) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Winn — Fort Landrum Site
Built around the home of John Landrum Used during the Creek War of 1813 First Clarke County Court met here in 1813 Succeeding courts were held here until 1819 — Map (db m101584) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Winn — Union Methodist Church
Established 1858, ¼ mile east of here. Camp meetings were held in summers. Congregation moved to site near Peniel 1894. The "arbor" and church building were left at original site. These buildings convenient for annual encampment of county . . . — Map (db m101579) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — Fred David GrayCivil Rights Attorney and Legislator / Advocate for Victims and History
Side 1 Born in 1930 in Montgomery, Gray was among the foremost civil rights attorneys of the 20th century. Forced by segregation to leave Alabama to attend law school, he vowed to return and "destroy everything segregated I could find." . . . — Map (db m101898) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — The Oaks — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
The actual sight of a first-class house that a Negro has built is ten times more potent than pages of discussion about a house that he ought to build, or perhaps could build. —Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery . . . — Map (db m101919) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — The Tuskegee Veterans Administration Hospital
The Tuskegee Veterans Administration Hospital (VA), established in 1923, is significant as the first VA hospital in the nation to be administered by an all African American medical staff. After WWI, African American veterans found it difficult . . . — Map (db m101900) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Birth of Trades Program — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
We shall prosper . . . as we learn to dignify and glorify labor and put brains and skills into the common occupations of life. —Booker T. Washington Tuskegee Institute's vocational training program began in this . . . — Map (db m101934) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Campus Architect — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
. . . I should consider it a far-reaching calamity for us to lose Mr. Taylor at Tuskegee. —Booker T. Washington Look at the buildings around the main quadrangle. Much of what you see is the work of Robert R. Taylor, . . . — Map (db m101929) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Carver Research Foundation1951
On February 10, 1940 George Washington Carver signed the deed of gift establishing the Carver Foundation with a $33,000 contribution from his personal savings. According to Carver, the foundation was established "for the purpose of combining . . . — Map (db m101912) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Carver's Laboratory — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
The primary idea in all of my work was to help the farmer and fill the poor man's empty dinner pail . . . —George Washington Carver George Washington Carver taught classes and developed new products from peanuts, . . . — Map (db m101938) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Dining and Social Center — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
The young women all seated first, and then the young men march in. But no conversation is allowed until . . . a simple grace is chanted by the chorus of a thousand voices. —Booker T. Washington, The Working . . . — Map (db m101926) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Enhancing Health Care — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
Let our societies spend less money in taking care of the sick, and much more money in promoting the health of the race . . . . Let us make health contagious in every community rather than disease. —Booker T. Washington, Address . . . — Map (db m101940) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Frederick Douglass Hall1904
Named for Frederick Douglass, famed runaway slave, abolitionist and statesman. Douglass came to Tuskegee in 1892 and delivered the 11th Annual Commencement address in which he "urged economy, thrift and common sense." Those words of Douglass echoed . . . — Map (db m101908) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Great Philanthropists — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
I will be very glad to pay the bills for the library building . . . and I am glad of this opportunity to show the interest I have in your noble work. —Andrew Carnegie Carnegie Hall is named for Andrew Carnegie, . . . — Map (db m101923) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Historic Quadrangle — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
When school is in session, the broad expanse in front of you—the university's main quadrangle—buzzes with activity just as it did in the early 1900s, but life was much more regimented then. Students received demerits if they did not obey . . . — Map (db m101920) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Huntington Hall1900
Built as a girls dormitory with funds donated by the widow of Collis P. Huntington, philanthropist, and president of the C & O (Chesapeake & Ohio) Railroad. Huntington Hall was designed by architect, Robert R. Taylor, the first African American . . . — Map (db m101907) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Managing the School — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
. . . the school is not dependent upon the presence of any one individual. The whole executive force . . . is so organized . . . that the machinery of the school goes on day by day like clockwork. —Booker T. Washington, . . . — Map (db m101922) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Porter Hall 1883 / Huntington Academic Building 1905
Porter Hall 1883 Porter Hall was the first building erected on the Tuskegee campus. The building housed administrative offices, library reading and recitation rooms, chapel, kitchen, dining room, living quarters and laundry. It . . . — Map (db m101915) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Site of Olivia Davidson HallMen's Dormitory
Site of Olivia Davidson Hall Men's Dormitory 1886 – 1954 Originally Samuel Armstrong Hall 1886 - 1892 — Map (db m101914) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — The Burnt Place — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
At the time we occupied the place there were standing upon it a cabin, formerly used as the dining room, an old kitchen, a stable, and an old hen-house. Within a few weeks we had all of these structures in use.   —Booker T. . . . — Map (db m101916) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Thomas Monroe Campbell
. . . — Map (db m101917) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Thrasher Hall
Thrasher Hall, renovated in 1983. Was built in 1893 by teachers and students using brick they made. Only the exterior walls remain from the original building. The bell above rang for class changes. It was located in the building's bell tower until . . . — Map (db m101905) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Tuskegee UniversityF-4C Phantom
This U.S. Air Force F-4C Phantom Jet Fighter was flown by General "Chappie" James, Tuskegee University graduate and first Black Four-Star General in the U.S. Armed Services, on his last combat mission--Operation Bold--over Southeast Asia. It flies . . . — Map (db m101902) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Up From Slavery — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
I determined when quite a small child . . . I would in some way get enough education to enable me to read common books and newspapers. —Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery Booker T. Washington changed the . . . — Map (db m101932) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — White Hall1910
Named in honor of Alexander Moss White of Brooklyn, New York, with funds donated by his children. This structure opened fall 1909. The building was officially dedicated in January 1910 was a dormitory for women. A bronze tower with clock was added . . . — Map (db m101906) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Grand Bay — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
In 1775, William Bartram, Colonial naturalist, visited Mobile and environs recording flora, fauna, land areas, and rivers. — Map (db m102188) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Janney Foundry Co.1844     1928
Munitions of war furnished by this foundry to the Confederate States of America 1861 — 1865 — Map (db m101746) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Archaeology And Our Understanding of the Creek People — Creek Heritage Trail
Archaeology is the scientific study of the past through analysis of physical traces of daily life discovered through excavation. It enables us to extend our knowledge of human history beyond the limits of written records and to learn details about . . . — Map (db m101816) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Fort Mitchell and Creek Removal — Creek Heritage Trail
Fort Mitcheli served as a primary point of concentration for creeks being sent westward to Indian Territory before, during, and after the Second Creek War (1836-1837). By the terms of the 1832 Treaty of Washington, Creek heads of household and . . . — Map (db m101840) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Pokkecheta, or the Ball Play — Creek Heritage Trail
Pokkecheta, or the ball play, was an ancient and vital part of the social life of the Creeks and a popular game among many groups of Southeastern Indians. The game enhanced interaction between towns and provided highly ritualized sport and . . . — Map (db m101817) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — The Creeks Today — Creek Heritage Trail
Today there are federally recognized Creek tribal groups in Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, and Alabama. The largest, the Muscogee (Creek) Nation, is based in the state of Oklahoma. The nation is comprised of the descendants of the Creeks who were . . . — Map (db m101823) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — The Colonial Courthouse/The Stocks and Pillory
(side 1) The Colonial Courthouse This building is inspired by the Courthouse at Williamsburg, Virginia, built in 1770. The County Court heard petty crimes and civil cases such as debtors’ disputes with creditors from abusive . . . — Map (db m101501) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — The Liberty Bell
(side 1) The Liberty Bell was commissioned November 1, 1751, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of William Penn’s Charter of Privileges for his Pennsylvania colony. The radical charter granted religious liberty to persecuted faiths, . . . — Map (db m101506) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — The Liberty Bell GardenHonors Liberty, Its Defenders, and Our Constitution
American colonists cherished Liberty as their birthright. On July 4, 1776, the Continental Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence, declaring, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed . . . — Map (db m101503) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — The Lucille Ryals Thompson Colonial Chapel/One Nation Under God
(side 1) The Lucille Ryals Thompson Colonial Chapel Inspired by Bruton Parish Church of Williamsburg, Virginia, it was named to honor Lucille Ryals Thompson. The Chapel was built in thanksgiving for God’s blessings on America, and . . . — Map (db m101505) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — The President's Oval Office/The Glorious Burden
(side 1) The President's Oval Office In this building is a full-scale replica of the White House Oval Office. When John and Abigail Adams first moved into The White House in 1800, it contained three oval rooms, inspired by . . . — Map (db m101531) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — Washington Hall/Birth of A Nation
(side 1) Washington Hall The exterior of the hall is inspired by George Washington's beloved Mount Vernon. It has beveled-edge block walls. When mixed with paint and sand it gives the appearance of stone masonry, a process called . . . — Map (db m101504) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Glen Canyon Bridge / Cableways
Glen Canyon Bridge Majestic Glen Canyon Bridge, 865 feet (264 meters) downriver from the dam, was the highest steel-arch bridge in the United States when completed. The roadway is 700 feet (213 meters) above the surface of . . . — Map (db m101903) HM
Arkansas (Newton County), Marble Falls Township — Arkansas Marble in Washington’s Monument
. . . — Map (db m101789) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Freedom Riders in Little Rock
On 10 July 1961 five Freedom Riders from the St. Louis branch the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE) - Benjamin Elton Cox, Annie Lumpkin, Bliss Ann Malone, John Curtis Raines and Janet Reinitz-arrived at the Mid-West Trailways bus station at Markham . . . — Map (db m102140) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Geyer & Adams Building(1914)
In 1904, John E. Geyer and his business partner John D. Adams moved their wholesale grocery business into a building located on this site. The partners replaced that building with this structure, designed by Charles Thompson, in 1914. The Geyer and . . . — Map (db m102091) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Porbeck & Bowman Building(1882)
Max Hilb and William Probst built this structure, designed by Joseph Willis, in 1882 for Probst & Hilb Liquor Company. The upper floor contained a two-story space that housed Concordia Hall, a Jewish social club. F. M. Fletcher and T.J. McCarthy . . . — Map (db m102056) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — The "Little Rock"1722
A section of the "Little Rock" located at the foot of Rock Street forming the south pier of the railroad bridge over the Arkansas River, being the first rock seen by the French explorer, Bernard De La Harpe, on his voyage from the mouth of the . . . — Map (db m102141) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Tuf-Nut Lofts
This property operated as horse stable in the late 19th century followed by the construction of single family dwellings. The primary user of the property during the 20th century was the Tuf-Nut Garment Manufacturing Company. Founded by James D. . . . — Map (db m102093) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — GPY-140-02 — Clark Memorial BenchMy Dumb Friends Bench
Donated to the city of Alameda in 1920 by Park Avenue resident Isabella Derby Clark, this concrete bench was designed by Myrtle Maillot. Mrs. Clark was a proponent of animal welfare. The inscription "In memory of my dumb friends" is a reference to . . . — Map (db m101553) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Bells
Fashioned as either small ornaments or large enough to be heard for miles, bells have long been a part of human history and culture. First appearing around 2000 B.C. as simple percussion instruments, they continue to celebrate special events to this . . . — Map (db m101587) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Camp 9 Powerhouse Pelton Wheel
The use of wheels to convert flowing or falling water into power began in ancient Greece around the third to the first century B.C. In 1878 Lester Allan Pelton, a carpenter and blacksmith from Nevada City, invented a new design for an impulse water . . . — Map (db m101590) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Just Jenny
This steam traction engine was built by Owens, Lane, Dyer & Co. of Hamilton Ohio most likely in the 1870s. Its particular gear drive mechanism, along with the incline cylinder distinguish it as an O.L.D. & Co. machine. According to the story, this . . . — Map (db m101594) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Ol' Beth
This Best 110 hp steam traction engine, built 1903-1906, was originally used by Pacific Borax Co. to pull ore wagons. The next owner was the Dixie Mill, near Sheep Ranch, where it was used to haul logs down the steep hillsides to the loading deck. . . . — Map (db m101613) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Serpentine Drill Core Section
This core section was created in 1934 while boring an air/service shaft for the Idaho-Maryland Mine in Grass Valley, California. The overseer of this demanding project was mining engineer J.B. Newsome. Reputed to be the largest drill core of its . . . — Map (db m101617) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Signal Cannon/Utica Mine Ore Car/Arrastra Model
SIGNAL CANNON Small cannons, like our iron example, were usually intended to fire signals rather than function as weapons. Also known as salute cannons, many were used onboard ships and were often mounted on a swivel, as this example may have . . . — Map (db m101619) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Stalactite/Stalagmite
This natural formation came from a cavern on the property of the Calaveras Cement Co., located near Calaveritas in Calaveras County. It was donated to the museum by the Flintkote Co. in 1957. Collectively known as speleothems, these ancient . . . — Map (db m101618) HM
California (Del Norte County), Crescent City — 951 — Battery Point Lighthouse
The Battery Point Lighthouse is one of the first lighthouses on the California Coast. Rugged mountains and unbridged rivers meant coastal travel was essential for the economic survival of this region. In 1855 Congress appropriated $15,000 for . . . — Map (db m101692) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Boeger Winery
This fieldstone building was built by Giovanni N. Lombardo in 1872 from stones cleared to plant vineyards on the property. The lower cellar was used to produce wine for the local community. The grapes were crushed in the upper story living room and . . . — Map (db m101534) HM
California (Fresno County), Clovis — Tarpey Depot
Built in 1892 as one of the three depots along the line of the San Joaquin Valley Railroad, this structure was originally located on the Tarpey Ranch just southeast of what is now the intersection of Ashlan and Clovis Avenues. In the span of its . . . — Map (db m101992) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — Christmas Tree Lane
In June of 1919, William "Billy" Winning, age 14 died in a tragic accident at his family home on Van Ness Boulevard. In December of 1920, Billy's mother, Mae, decorated the deodur cedar in front of the home as a memorial to Billy, who had loved . . . — Map (db m102120) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 6 — Green Bush Spring
On this spot in the early days was a flowing spring beside which stood a large green bush. Wild horses, deer, elk and antelope watered here and it served as a watering place for sheep and cattle. The presence of this water caused the railroad in . . . — Map (db m101867) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — Kogetsu-Do
Kogetsu-Do A Fresno landmark. Confectioner Kogetsu - Do has survived in the same location it has occupied for 99 Years. Sugimatsu Ikeda and his wife Sakino started the business in 1915 and were able to purchase this building on "F" Street in . . . — Map (db m101863) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 20 — Moses J. Church
The Father of Fresno Irrigation. He was born in New York State in 1819, became a blacksmith and emigrated to California in 1852. He came to Fresno County in 1868 and employed by A. Y. Easterby, built the first irrigation system for lush fields of . . . — Map (db m101865) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — The Basque Hotel
[Marker mounted to the left of the entrance door.] This building is the first Basque Hotel built near the Central Pacific Railroad lines that brought many new immigrants to Fresno and the San Joaquin Valley. It was one of several . . . — Map (db m101868) HM
California (Fresno County), Reedley — Major James D. Savage
James D. Savage was born in 1817 in Cayuga County, New York and moved to Illinois as a a child. He was described as a strong man with blue eyes and a magnificent physique. It was said that he was smart as a whip, shrewd in business and adept with . . . — Map (db m101846) HM
California (Imperial County), El Centro — Women's 10,000 Club
Established and organized in 1908 as the Men Club to promote the city of El Centro, their first goal was for El Centro to reach a population of 10,000 residents. On October 30, 1908 the women took over the club and renamed it the Women's 10,000 . . . — Map (db m101569) HM
California (Imperial County), Holtville — City of Holtville"Carrot Capital of the World"
Incorporated 1908 Carried by a vote of 56 to 8 — Map (db m101558) HM
California (Kern County), California City — 20-Mule Team Trail
From 1883 to 1889, wagons hauled borax along this road 165 miles from Death Valley to Mohave. The route was laid out by J.W.S. Perry. He and a muleskinner named Ed Stiles designed the wagons to carry the heavy loads to the rail depot. The wagon . . . — Map (db m101998) HM
California (Los Angeles), Los Angeles — Daniel O. McCarthyA Gallant Pioneer of  ’49
This fountain is a Memorial to the Gallant Pioneers of  ’49 of whom Daniel O. McCarthy, patriot, miner, leader, was an outstanding example. He was born [in] Raleigh, N.C., August 24, 1830. Died Los Angeles, August 13, 1919. Through his . . . — Map (db m101457) HM
California (Los Angeles), Los Angeles — Juan Bautista De Anza
. . . — Map (db m101462) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — Douglas Park
Early Years 1892 - 1938 Mr. Douglas was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1892, the son of a bank cashier. His early interest in aviation was sparked by observing an Orville Wright flight in 1908. he attended the U.S. Naval Academy and then became the . . . — Map (db m101485) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — Veterans MemorialUnited Aerospace Workers — McDonnell Douglas Corporation
[Panel #3] This Veterans Memorial is Dedicated by the Employees of McDonnell Douglas Corporation to Honor the Sacrifices of the Men and Women who Have Served Our Nation in War and Peace. More than 12,000 McDonnell Douglas Corporation . . . — Map (db m101481) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — "Snowshoe" ThompsonA Pioneer Hero of the Sierras
Who for twenty winters carried the mail over the mountains to isolated camps, rescuing the lost and giving succor to those in need along the way. Born 1827 Died 1876 — Map (db m101465) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Signal Hill — Hilltop Park
[Walkway Poem] Here on this hill what perspective to see our world ourselves with clarity Each point of view repositioning living vibrant inspiring We come to this place when life gets too fast to reflect on . . . — Map (db m101509) HM
California (Napa County), Calistoga — 915 — Petrified Forest
The petrified forest, dating from the Eocene Period, is the only known example of a petrified forest in California. Its size, scope and variety of petrification is unique in the world. Opalized wood, obsidian, quartz crystal, petrified coral and . . . — Map (db m101552) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — “Big Red Cars”of the Pacific Electric Railway
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101471) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — “Big Red Cars”of the Pacific Electric Railway
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101472) HM
California (Orange County), Buena Park — “Big Red Cars”of the Pacific Electric Railway
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101470) HM
California (Orange County), Cypress — “Big Red Cars”of the Pacific Electric Railway
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101467) HM
California (Orange County), Cypress — “Big Red Cars”of the Pacific Electric Railway
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101468) HM
California (Orange County), Cypress — “Big Red Cars”of the Pacific Electric Railway
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101469) HM
California (Orange County), Garden Grove — “Big Red Cars”of the Pacific Electric Railway
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101475) HM
California (Orange County), Laguna Hills — 28 — Fossil Reef
Before you are the white limestone remains of an 18,000,000 year old tropical shell reef. Formed in a shallow bay, it contains fossils of scallops, clams, and tube worms. Mudstones of the same age, found nearby, held fossil whales and shark teeth. . . . — Map (db m101952) HM
California (Orange County), Stanton — “Big Red Cars”of the Pacific Electric Railway
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101473) HM
California (Riverside County), Anza — CHL 103 — San Carlos Pass
On March 16, 1774, Juan Bautista de Anza, Indian fighter, explorer, and colonizer, led through this pass (named by him San Carlos) the first white explorers to cross the mountains into California. The party traveled from Tubac, Arizona, to Monterey, . . . — Map (db m101556) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Framcisco — Steam Tug Hercules
... we picked up six million feet of timber in a raft to tow South to San Diego. Long, slow lazy days, making no more than three knots. We rigged a fishing line and caught beautiful King Salmon on the way." - Albert Hody, Hercules . . . — Map (db m101809) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Balclutha
was built in Scotland for the San Francisco grain trade. From the time of her launching, in 1886, until 1890 she was employed in transporting the grain harvests of California's interior valleys to the ports of Europe. "Although the building . . . — Map (db m101887) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Ferryboat Eureka
Eureka was originally launched as the Ukiah, a rail car and passenger ferry. She ran between San Francisco and Tiburon for the San Francisco and Northern Pacific Railroad, later the Northwestern Pacific. Between 1920 and 1922 . . . — Map (db m101781) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Hicks Engine
The Hicks eight-horsepower engine was the most popular power source for San Francisco's "Monterey" fishing boats. Its simple design made for economy, reliability, and ease of maintenance. The Bay Area led the nation in production of heavy duty . . . — Map (db m101837) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Hyde Street Pier Was Part of Highway 101
Before the Golden Gate Bridge was built, the only way to drive north from San Francisco was to cross the Bay on a ferryboat. The Golden Gate Ferry began service to Sausalito in 1922, and Hyde Street Pier officially became part of Route 101, the . . . — Map (db m101848) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Paddle Tug Eppleton Hall
"The Eppleton Hall is the handiest type of tug that was ever built." - Captain John Gibson, Sunderland, England. Eppleton Hall is typical of the tugs used in the coal ports of Northern England to tow barges and shipping. Similar . . . — Map (db m101806) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — San Francisco Bay "Ark"
"Here a bath is a matter of stepping off the porch, a stroll is taken in a boat, and a splash of oars announces butcher and baker." - Albert B. Hunt in Houseboats and Houseboating. 1905 This little houseboat, referred to locally . . . — Map (db m101777) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Sanitation at Sea
The toilets for ordinary sailors were usually located in the front or "head" of the ship and consisted of a series of holes in a plank which allowed for a direct drop into the ocean. From this location came the name "head," which remains a common . . . — Map (db m101849) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Schooner C.A. Thayer
She was a steady little ship. She wasn't too fast to sail and beat, or anything like that, but she was a solid-built ship. - Captain Emil Anderson, Master 1915 Thayer was one of 123 three-masted schooners built on the West Coast . . . — Map (db m101805) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Scow Schooner Alma
"The bay used to be full of them... They worked on the tide, they'd go up the cricks and riser's and lay on the flat until they got their cargo in and then out they'd go. Got, they were a busy outfit... What load they carried. - F.H. Wade, . . . — Map (db m101838) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Ship Balclutha
"No one who has not been there can imagine the strain on the captain in trying to get around Cape Horn. This passage in the Balclutha was about my hardest time. - Captain Alfred Durkee, Master 1894-1899 Balclutha was a . . . — Map (db m101819) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Steam Donkey Engine
Donkey engines like this one were common along the waterfront from the 1880s into the 1920s. These portable steam winches were used as auxiliary power for loading and unloading cargo. The name donkey comes from there fact that the engines . . . — Map (db m101851) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Steering the Ship...
The helmsman, standing behind the wheel of the a sailing ship seldom looked ahead. He looked down into the compass, if ordered to steer a compass course. Or he looked alternately at compass and up at a sail (the mizzen royal) when the . . . — Map (db m101876) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Carpenter Shop...
The usual ship's carpenter was a Northerner - a Scot, a Finn, a Swede, a Norwegian, or a Nova Scotiaman. All of these were superb woodworker and equal to the to the variety of tasks found on shipboard. For instance, windjammers always carried . . . — Map (db m102168) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Cathead...
This timber to support the anchor ready for "letting go" has been a fixture on shipboard for hundreds of years. As the ship approached port, the anchor was hung from the cathead by a chain called a ring stopper. One end of this chain (distinct from . . . — Map (db m101918) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Deckhouse
This structure contains the galley, the carpenter's shop, as well as quarters for apprentices and the "idlers." These men, the bosun, sailmaker, carpenter, and cook were actually among the hardest workers of the crew, beginning at six in the morning . . . — Map (db m101877) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Forecastle...
The sailors lived forward in the forecastle ( pronounced foc's'le); the captain and mates lived aft in more comfortable surroundings. Sailors found the Balclutha's cramped quarters a great improvement over those earlier, smaller ships . . . — Map (db m101886) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Half-Deck..."here the brassbounders" (apprentice officers lived...
Life in the half deck was, perhaps, the bravest start in this mortal life ever made by human beings. The stripling of 15 or 16 years of age had to pass through the fire, had to face the elements of wind and sea in their fury had to do a man's work . . . — Map (db m101885) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Main Fiferail...
When the Balclutha towed to sea in the old days, twenty five sails were ready to set as soon as the tug let go the towrope. To handle this canvas a great deal of additional cordage was rove off - buntlines, leech-lines, clew garnets, . . . — Map (db m101875) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Return of the C.A. Thayer
The 1895 lumber schooner C.A. Thayer has gone to a shipyard in Alameda, CA for installation of her masts and rigging. The last West Coast lumber schooler in existence, the ship will be undergoing restoration boat at the yard and here at the . . . — Map (db m101804) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Tubbs Cordage Building
Quotation obscured This building was the superintendent's office at the Tubbs company factory or ropewalk. This pioneer industrial factory was located on Iowa Street in the Portero district from 1856 until 1963. Alfred Tubbs . . . — Map (db m101778) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Towing in the Open OceanHercules' First Career, 1908-1924
The Hercules was an "outside" tug built to live and pull in the open ocean. She could steam for 30 days or 8,000 miles without refueling, and her crew could travel from bow to stern without exposure to rough weather. Few West Coast boats . . . — Map (db m101836) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Triple-Expansion Steam Engine
Before you is a 30 ton triple-expansion engine from the steam schooner Wapama, This is the larges artifact rescued from the vessel before it demolition. Inside the visitors center across the street are extensive exhibits and films. There you . . . — Map (db m101850) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Tug Sea Fox
My uncle Rudy Sommer had the Sea Fox for years. She was a lucky boat and was a good puller. Hillstorm built two of them, the Fox and the Captain, both real good boats." - Captain Harold Sommer, former Sea Fox mate. . . . — Map (db m101780) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Workin' on the RailroadHercules' Second Career, 1924-1962
Between 1924 and 1962, Hercules worked for the Western Pacific Railroad moving railroad cars on barges between Oakland/Alameda and Islais Creek/Fishermam's Wharf. Because these car floats were pushed and pulled from the side, rather than . . . — Map (db m101835) HM
California (San Mateo County), Half Moon Bay — Hotel El Granada
Hotel El Granada, a two-story stucco building in the Mission-style opened in 1908 with twenty guest rooms upstairs and a ballroom downstairs. The town's first commercial building and site of the first post office boasted of piped in water and a . . . — Map (db m101667) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — Bank of Campbell
This Italian Renaissance-style building was constructed in 1911 to house the expanding business of the Bank of Campbell. The Bank of Campbell merged with the American Trust Company and remained here until 1938. This building has since been home . . . — Map (db m101519) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — Country Woman's Club
The Campbell Country Woman's Club raised the funds to build this Spanish Colonial Revival-style structure in 1923. The town library and public meeting rooms were housed here until the 1960's . The Woman's Club founded the Campbell Historical . . . — Map (db m101521) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — Courtyard
These Spanish Colonia Revival-style commercial unites were constructed in 1947 and originally called the Friendly Shopping Center. The two-story building as the back was once a farm house, circa 1913-1915, and originally stood up front on Campbell . . . — Map (db m101520) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — Farley Building
This Renaissance Revival-style building, built in 1895, is the oldest structure in Campbell. By 1895, Ainsley Cannery and the Fruit Grower's Union employed hundreds of workers. The thriving town needed a local bank. The first Bank of Campbell was . . . — Map (db m101518) HM
California (Tulare County), Traver — 1 — Traver
Traver Traver townsite was laid out by the 16 Land and Water company. An auction of lots was held on April 8, 1884. Within sixty days a small town was in existence It prospered for a few years and was probably the largest grain shipping point . . . — Map (db m101866) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Jamestown — The Humbug Mine
The Humbug Mine was situated on the east slope of Table Mountain near Jamestown. It was the richest mine of its kind in the Mother Lode. Producing more than $4,000,000 worth of gold in its heyday. Due to the geology of the mountain, the mine . . . — Map (db m102043) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Burlington — Dawson Dawson-WatsonImpressionism in Connecticut
The Artist A charismatic Englishman with the unlikely name of Dawson Dawson-Watson came to Hartford in 1893, fresh from Giverny and its aura of Claude Monet, and set to work introducing the radical French art called Impressionism. He taught . . . — Map (db m102122) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Simsbury — Constitution Oak
In commemoration of the Connecticut Constitutional Convention of 1901 Planted by Simsbury Delegate Joseph L. Bartlett — Map (db m101987) HM

779 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 579
Paid Advertisement