Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

 
Darlingside Marker image, Click for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., March 16, 2017
Darlingside Marker
Ontario (Leeds and Grenville Counties), Darlingside — Darlingside

Darlingside is a rare surviving example of the wood depots which provided an essential fuelling service during the early phase of steamboat navigation on Lake Ontario and the upper St. Lawrence River. Thomas Darling, a Scottish immigrant, . . . — Map (db m102088) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville Counties), Darlingside — The Darling Store / Le magasin DarlingCanada's National Parks and National Historic Sites

Long before roads penetrated the dense forests of the Thousand Islands, the St. Lawrence River was the highway to the interior of Canada.

Vessels of all types plied the waters. Bateaux and durham boats carried produce from nearby farms to . . . — Map (db m102092) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville Counties), Darlingside — The Thousand IslandsCanada's National Parks and National Historic Sites

The Thousand Islands are the roots of an ancient Precambrian mountain range ground down by successive glaciations to granite bedrock. Over the centuries the bare, gnarled hills were covered with rich forests and carpets of wildflowers. Where . . . — Map (db m102090) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville Counties), Darlingside — Thousand Islands Bridge System1938

The tons of explosives, concrete and steel used to create the five spans of the bridge system only hint of the tremendous efforts to create the bridge system. Glad of getting work in the Great Depression, the workers took any job they could . . . — Map (db m102054) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville Counties), Kemptville — Prescott Street Bridge

The South Branch of the Rideau River has played a vital part in the history of Kemptville. The small settlement, first known as "The Branch" when it was established in the early 1800s, then became known as Clothier's Mill before it was renamed . . . — Map (db m102077) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville Counties), Kemptville — St. James' Memorial Church

This Church was erected "to the honour of Almighty God and in memory of the late Venerable Archdeacon Patton, first Rector of this Parish." The cornerstone was laid on 28th. May 1878 by the Rt. Rev. John Travers Lewis, Lord Bishop of Ontario. . . . — Map (db m102076) HM

Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Coronel Sebastián Molas
Al Coronel D. Sebastian Molas. Martir del federalismo en Yucatan 1819-1853. English translation: To Coronel D. Sebastián Molas. Martyr to Federalism in Yucatán 1819-1853. — Map (db m102087) WM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — House of Mr. Andrés Quintana Roo
Casa de Don Andrés Quintana Roo Sobria casona del siglo XVIII cuyo valor histórico radica en que en ella se dice que nació en 1787 Don Andrés Quintana Roo, importante figura del México Insurgente, jurisconsulto, embajador, diputado, periodista, . . . — Map (db m102094) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Saint Lucia Neighborhood
Barrio de Santa Lucía Destinado originalmente para albergar a los esclavos negros al servicio de los españoles, el templo que dio nombre a este barrio se construye en 1575 por el encomendero D. Pedro García, destinando el terreno aledaño para . . . — Map (db m102045) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Grand Bay — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
In 1775, William Bartram, Colonial naturalist, visited Mobile and environs recording flora, fauna, land areas, and rivers. — Map (db m102188) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Freedom Riders in Little Rock
On 10 July 1961 five Freedom Riders from the St. Louis branch the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE) - Benjamin Elton Cox, Annie Lumpkin, Bliss Ann Malone, John Curtis Raines and Janet Reinitz-arrived at the Mid-West Trailways bus station at Markham . . . — Map (db m102140) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Geyer & Adams Building(1914)
In 1904, John E. Geyer and his business partner John D. Adams moved their wholesale grocery business into a building located on this site. The partners replaced that building with this structure, designed by Charles Thompson, in 1914. The Geyer and . . . — Map (db m102091) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Porbeck & Bowman Building(1882)
Max Hilb and William Probst built this structure, designed by Joseph Willis, in 1882 for Probst & Hilb Liquor Company. The upper floor contained a two-story space that housed Concordia Hall, a Jewish social club. F. M. Fletcher and T.J. McCarthy . . . — Map (db m102056) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — The "Little Rock"1722
A section of the "Little Rock" located at the foot of Rock Street forming the south pier of the railroad bridge over the Arkansas River, being the first rock seen by the French explorer, Bernard De La Harpe, on his voyage from the mouth of the . . . — Map (db m102141) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Tuf-Nut Lofts
This property operated as horse stable in the late 19th century followed by the construction of single family dwellings. The primary user of the property during the 20th century was the Tuf-Nut Garment Manufacturing Company. Founded by James D. . . . — Map (db m102093) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — Christmas Tree Lane
In June of 1919, William "Billy" Winning, age 14 died in a tragic accident at his family home on Van Ness Boulevard. In December of 1920, Billy's mother, Mae, decorated the deodur cedar in front of the home as a memorial to Billy, who had loved . . . — Map (db m102120) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — Kogetsu-Do
Kogetsu-Do A Fresno landmark. Confectioner Kogetsu - Do has survived in the same location it has occupied for 99 Years. Sugimatsu Ikeda and his wife Sakino started the business in 1915 and were able to purchase this building on "F" Street in . . . — Map (db m101863) HM
California (Kern County), California City — 20-Mule Team Trail
From 1883 to 1889, wagons hauled borax along this road 165 miles from Death Valley to Mohave. The route was laid out by J.W.S. Perry. He and a muleskinner named Ed Stiles designed the wagons to carry the heavy loads to the rail depot. The wagon . . . — Map (db m101998) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Carpenter Shop...
The usual ship's carpenter was a Northerner - a Scot, a Finn, a Swede, a Norwegian, or a Nova Scotiaman. All of these were superb woodworker and equal to the to the variety of tasks found on shipboard. For instance, windjammers always carried . . . — Map (db m102168) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Jamestown — The Humbug Mine
The Humbug Mine was situated on the east slope of Table Mountain near Jamestown. It was the richest mine of its kind in the Mother Lode. Producing more than $4,000,000 worth of gold in its heyday. Due to the geology of the mountain, the mine . . . — Map (db m102043) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Burlington — Dawson Dawson-WatsonImpressionism in Connecticut
The Artist A charismatic Englishman with the unlikely name of Dawson Dawson-Watson came to Hartford in 1893, fresh from Giverny and its aura of Claude Monet, and set to work introducing the radical French art called Impressionism. He taught . . . — Map (db m102122) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Simsbury — First House and Ferry
Site of the first home in Simsbury Captain Aaron Cook circa 1660 Site of the Pent Road Ferry circa 1668 The Traine Band passed here — Map (db m102019) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Simsbury — First School House
Site of the first school house in Simsbury December 17, 1701 “One place at the Plain... and the first school to begin there” — Map (db m102004) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Simsbury — Militia Training Ground
Established by vote of the Traine Band May 28, 1685 “One day on one syd the river and an another on the other syd ye river” John Terry, Ensign Jeremiah Gillit, Sargent — Map (db m102006) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Simsbury — Weatogue Bridge
A toll bridge was built here in 1734 by order of the General Assembly it was the first highway bridge across the Farmington River — Map (db m102001) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Barkhamsted — Austin Hawes Memorial CampgroundFarmington River: Wild & Scenic
In this Area in the Past..... The Austin Hawes Memorial Campground is located in an area once known as the “Greenwoods,” where until the late 1700’s large pine and hemlock trees grew along the Farmington River. From 1800 to 1942 . . . — Map (db m102111) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Barkhamsted — Camp White
To honor the men of Camp White Company 106 established 1934 Civilian Conservation Corps 1933-1942 created by President Franklin D. Roosevelt renewing the country’s natural resources and challenging the human spirit of . . . — Map (db m102082) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Barkhamsted — Henry Robinson Buck
Dedicated to Henry Robinson Buck 1876-1934 whose friendly nature and work for public recreational areas endeared him to all his associates. This trail was located by him and built by the Civilian Conservation Corps. . . . — Map (db m102032) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), New Hartford — First Meeting House
On this plot was raised in 1739, the first meeting house of New Hartford and on these very foundations the second church was built in 1829. After 1854 it was no longer used as a place of worship and was finally removed in 1929. For . . . — Map (db m102033) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Riverton — RivertonFarmington River: Wild & Scenic
In this Area in the Past..... Since the 1820’s Riverton has been a vibrant part of the town of Barkhamsted. Riverton is located at the confluence of the Farmington and Still Rivers, which at one time provided the opportunity for water power . . . — Map (db m102107) HM
Connecticut (Windham), Killingly — Killingly Civil War Monument
Erected A.D. 1878, by the Women’s Monument Association and Town of Killingly, in Honor of the Soldiers and Sailors who served in the War of 1861 for the Preservation of the Union. — Map (db m102070) WM
Connecticut (Windham County), Ashford — Constitution Oak
In commemoration of the Connecticut Constitutional Convention of 1902 Delegate. Thomas K. Fitts marked 1953 — Map (db m102024) HM
Connecticut (Windham County), Killingly — Killingly World War II Monument
Roll of Honor in tribute to Anderson, Edward E. • Barriere, Alphonse • Berube, Joseph E. • Bishop, Joseph L.• Bolduc, Alfred N. • Buteau, Norman • Calouri, Ernest • Carroll, Bryan A. • Chandlier, Kenneth H. • Comtois, Joseph A.• Corcoran, . . . — Map (db m102038) WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-717 — 100th Illinois Infantry1st Brigade - Buell — 1st Division - Wood
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: Illinois 100th Infantry. 1st Brigade - Buell. 1st Division - Wood. 21st Army Corps - Crittenden Text on the Back Side of the Monument: Commanded . . . — Map (db m102080) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1029 — 101st Ohio Infantry2nd Brigade - Carlin — 1st Division - Davis
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: 101st Ohio Infantry, 2nd Brigade, 1st Division. 20th Army Corps. Text on the Back Side of the Monument: This Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel John Messer commanding, became . . . — Map (db m102142) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-894 — 13th Michigan Infantry1st Brigade - Buell — 1st Division - Wood
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: Michigan To Her Thirteenth Regiment of Infantry Commanded By Colonel Joshua B. Culver, Major Willard G. Eaton. Buell's Brigade. Wood's Division. Crittenden's Corps Text . . . — Map (db m102110) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1303 — 15th Georgia InfantryBenning's Brigade — Law's Hood's Division
C.S.A. Georgia. 15th Infantry. Colonel Dudley M. DuBose. Major P.J. Shannon. Benning's Brigade. Law's Hood's Division. 4 p.m., September 19, 1863. — Map (db m102177) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1306 — 17th Georgia InfantryBenning's Brigade — Law's Hood's, Division
C.S.A. Georgia. 17th Infantry Lieutenant Colonel Charles W. Matthews. Benning's Brigade. Law's Hood's, Division. 4 p.m., September 19, 1863. — Map (db m102172) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-753 — 18th Indiana Battery1st Brigade - Wilder — 4th Division - Reynolds
Indiana. Eighteenth Battery. (Lilly) First Brigade. (Wilder) Fourth Division. (Reynolds) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Friday, September 18th, 1863, 10:00 A.M. to 4 P.M. — Map (db m102031) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-749 — 18th Indiana BatteryWilder's Brigade — Reynold's Division
18th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery. 6 - 3" Rifles, 4 Mountain Howitzers. Wilder's Brigade, Reynolds' Division, Thomas' Corps. September 18, 1863. Captain Eli Lilly, Commanding. 1st Lieutenant Joseph A. Scott. 2nd Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m102034) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1308 — 20th Georgia InfantryBenning's Brigade — Law's Hood's Division
C.S.A. Georgia. 20th Infantry. Colonel J.D. Waddell. Benning's Brigade. Law's Hood's Division. 4 p.m., September 19, 1863. — Map (db m102176) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-669 — 21st Illinois Infantry2nd Brigade - Carlin — 1st Division - Davis
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: Illinois 21st Infantry. 2nd Brigade - Carlin. 1st Division - Davis. 20th Army Corps - McCook Text on the Back Side of the Monument: Commanded . . . — Map (db m102072) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-671 — 22nd Illinois Infantry3rd Brigade - Bradley — 3rd Division - Sheridan
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: Illinois 22nd Infantry. 3rd Brigade - Bradley. 3rd Division - Sheridan. 20th Army Corps - McCook Text on the Back Side of the Monument: Commanded . . . — Map (db m102075) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-676 — 25th Illinois Infantry3rd Brigade - Heg — 1st Division - Davis
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: Illinois 25th Infantry. 3rd Brigade - Heg. 1st Division - Davis. 20th Army Corps - McCook Text on the Back Side of the Monument: Commanded . . . — Map (db m102081) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-980 — 26th Ohio Infantry1st Brigade - Buell — 1st Division - Wood
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: 26th Ohio Infantry, 1st Brigade, 1st Division. 21st Army Corps. Text on the Back Side of the Monument: This Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel William H. Young commanding, . . . — Map (db m102097) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-678 — 27th Illinois Infantry3rd Brigade - Bradley — 3rd Division - Sheridan
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: Illinois 27th Infantry. 3rd Brigade - Bradley. 3rd Division - Sheridan. 20th Army Corps - McCook Text on the Back Side of the Monument: Commanded . . . — Map (db m102062) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-899A — 2nd Minnesota BatteryCarlin's Brigade — Davis' Division
Text on the Front Side of the Monument (On base side towards Lafayette road): Erected By the State of Minnesota ———————— In commemoration of the galant and patriotic services of . . . — Map (db m102189) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-899 — 2nd Minnesota BatteryCarlin's Brigade — Davis' Division
2d Battery Minnesota Light Artillery. 2 10 Pounder Parrotts, 4 Napoleons. Carlin's Brigade, Davis' Division, McCook's Corps. September 19, 1863. 1st Lieutenant Albert Woodbury, Commanding (wounded). 1st Lieutenant Richard L. Dawley. . . . — Map (db m102197) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-680 — 35th Illinois Infantry3rd Brigade - Heg — 1st Division - Davis
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: Illinois 35th Infantry. 3rd Brigade - Heg. 1st Division - Davis. 20th Army Corps - McCook Text on the Back Side of the Monument: Commanded . . . — Map (db m102085) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-686 — 42nd Illinois Infantry3rd Brigade - Bradley — 3rd Division - Sheridan
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: Illinois 42nd Infantry. 3rd Brigade - Bradley. 3rd Division - Sheridan. 20th Army Corps - McCook Text on the Back Side of the Monument: Commanded . . . — Map (db m102064) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-690 — 51st Illinois Infantry3rd Brigade - Bradley — 3rd Division - Sheridan
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: Illinois 51st Infantry. 3rd Brigade - Bradley. 3rd Division - Sheridan. 20th Army Corps - McCook Text on the Back Side of the Monument: Commanded . . . — Map (db m102053) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1007 — 52nd Ohio Infantry Regiment2nd Brigade - Daniel McCook — 2nd Division - Morgan
Text on the Front Side, Top, of the Monument:
52nd Ohio Infantry, 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, Reserve Corps. Text on the Front Side, Middle, of the Monument: The 52nd Regiment, Major James T. Holmes, . . . — Map (db m102028) WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-816 — 58th Indiana Infantry1st Brigade - Buell — 1st Division - Wood
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: 58th Regiment Indiana Infantry. 1st Brigade - Buell. 1st Division - Wood. 21st Corps - Crittenden. Text on the Back Side of the Monument: Indiana Tribute To Her . . . — Map (db m102118) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-838 — 81st Indiana Infantry2nd Brigade - Carlin — 1st Division - Davis
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: 81st Regiment Indiana Infantry. 2nd Brigade - Carlin. 1st Division - Davis. 20th Corps - McCook. Text on the Back Side of the Monument: Indiana's Tribute To Her . . . — Map (db m102147) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-743 — 8th Indiana Battery1st Brigade - Buell — 1st Division - Wood
8th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery. 4 6 Pounders, 2 12 Pounder Howitzers. Buell's Brigade, Wood's Division, Crittenden's Corps. September 19, 1863. Captain George Estep, Commanding (wounded slightly). 1st Lieutenant Jeremiah Voris. . . . — Map (db m102119) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-745 — 8th Indiana Battery1st Brigade - Buell — 1st Division - Wood
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: 8th Indiana Battery 1st Brigade - Buell 1st Division - Wood 21st Corps - Crittenden Text on the Back Side of the Monument: Indiana's Tribute To Her Eighth Battery. . . . — Map (db m102131) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1133 — Benning's BrigadeHood's Division — Longstreet's Corps
Bennings's Brigade Hood's Division. - Longstreet's Corps. Brigadier General Henry L. Benning. September 19, 1863, 4 P.M., 2nd Position 2nd Georgia, - Lieutenant Colonel William S. Shepherd. 2nd Georgia, - Major W.W. Charlton. 15th . . . — Map (db m102180) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-554 — Bradley's BrigadeSheridan's Division — McCook's Corps
Bradley's Brigade Sheridan's Division - McCook's Corps Colonel Luther P. Bradley, Colonel Nathan H. Walworth. September 19, 1863, 4:30 p.m., 1st Position 22d Illinois - Lieutenant Colonel Francis Swanwick. 27th Illinois - Colonel . . . — Map (db m102146) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-558 — Buell's BrigadeWood's Division — Crittenden's Corps
Buell's Brigade< Wood's Division - Crittenden's Corps. Colonel George P. Buell. September 19, 1863, 4 p.m., 1st Position 100th Illinois - Colonel Frederick A. Bartleson. 58th Indiana - Lieutenant Colonel James T. . . . — Map (db m102096) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-561 — Carlin's BrigadeDavis' Division — McCook's Corps
Carlin's Brigade. Davis' Division - McCook's Corps. Brigadier General William P. Carlin. September 19, 1863. 2 p.m. - 1st Position 21st Illinois - Colonel John W.S. Alexander. 38th Illinois - Lieutenant Colonel Daniel H. Gilmer. . . . — Map (db m102139) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-2016 — Davis' DivisionMcCook's Corps — Brigadier General Jefferson C. Davis
Davis' Division - McCook'sCorps Brigadier General Jefferson C. Davis (September 19th, 1863, 2 to 5 p.m.) 1st Brigade - Colonel P. Sidney Post. 2d Brigade - Brigadier General William P. Carlin 3d Brigade - Colonel Hans C. Heg. . . . — Map (db m102115) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-424 — Hans C. Heg Memorial3rd Brigade - Heg — 1st Division - Davis
Hans C. Heg Colonel 15th Wisconsin, Commanding 3d Brigade, Davis Division, Mortally Wounded Here About 4 P.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m102047) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-592 — Harker's BrigadeWood's Division — Crittenden's Corps
Harker's Brigade. Wood's Division - Crittenden's Corps. Colonel Charles G. Harker. Sept. 19, 1863, 4 p.m. 3rd Kentucky - Colonel Henry C. Dunlap. 64th Ohio - Colonel Alexander McIlvain. 65th Ohio - Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m102207) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-602 — Heg's BrigadeDavis' Division — McCook's Corps
Heg's Brigade Davis' Division - McCook's Corps. Colonel Hans C. Heg. Colonel John A. Martin. September 19, 1863. 2 p.m. 1st Position 25th Illinois - Major Samuel D. Wall. 25th Illinois - Captain Wesford Taggart. 35th Illinois - . . . — Map (db m102212) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-618 — McCook's BrigadeSteedman's Division — Granger's Reserve Corps
McCook's Brigade Steedman's Division, Granger's Reserve Corps. Colonel Daniel McCook. September 19, 1863, 7 a.m. 85th Illinois, - Colonel Caleb J. Dilworth. 86th Illinois, - Lieutenant Colonel David W. Magee. 125th Illinois, - . . . — Map (db m102030) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-535 — Wood's DivisionCrittenden's Corps — Brigadier General Thomas J. Wood
Wood's Division - Crittenden's Corps Brigadier General Thomas J. Wood. Sept. 20th, 1863, 9:30 A.M. 1st Brigade - Colonel George P. Buell. 2d Brigade - Brigadier General George D. Wagner. 3d Brigade - Colonel Charles . . . — Map (db m102215) HM
Indiana (Madison County), Markleville — 48.1966.1 — Massacre of Indians
In 1824, nine Indians were murdered by white men near this spot. The men were tried, Found guilty and hanged. It was the first execution of white men for killing Indians. — Map (db m102044) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 2086 — George Rogers Clark At Locust Grove / Lewis and Clark in Kentucky - Locust Grove
George Rogers Clark At Locust Grove George Rogers Clark moved to Locust Grove in 1809 following amputation of his right leg. He lived here with his sister Lucy and her husband William Croghan until Clark's death in 1818. Clark recognized by . . . — Map (db m101463) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Acadia Plantation
Originally named Acadie, the name was changed to Acadia in the 1830's. Once owned by Jim Bowie, the hero of the Alamo, whose family owned it from 1827 to 1831. The house was consolidated into one building from two Creole cottages and a shotgun . . . — Map (db m102046) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Buy Where You Can Work Campaign & Higher EducationPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
Although the Pennsylvania Avenue of the 1920s was Baltimore’s premier shopping district for African Americans, many of the businesses that served them were owned by whites who refused to hire African Americans from the neighborhood. In 1933, . . . — Map (db m102023) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Early Civil Rights EraPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
In pre-Civil War Baltimore, African Americans—such as Frederick Douglas, Daniel Coker, and William Watkins--- wrote some of the earliest and most important abolitionist treatises. After the Civil War, African Americans founded the Douglass . . . — Map (db m102079) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Nurturing the ArtsPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
Old West Baltimore helped shape some of America’s greatest African American writers, artists and performers. From novelists like Amelia Johnson and Zora Neale Hurston, to artists like Romare Bearden, to the performers who appeared at The Arena . . . — Map (db m102002) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — The Thomas CanneryGaithersburg Maryland
Historical Background of the Canning Industry: In 1812, Thomas Kensett introduced the canning process to America with a small plant in New York, which canned oysters, meats, fruits, and vegetables. However, historians generally agree that . . . — Map (db m101861) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 17 — Baseball FieldNorth Washington and Hungerford Drive — SITE #17
The practice field for Rockville's African American baseball team was located between North Washington Street and present-day Hungerford Drive. The team played around the county and in Washington, D.C. from the early 1900s through the . . . — Map (db m102121) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Montgomery County Court House
There have been four court houses in Rockville since it was established as the County seat in 1776. Court was originally held at Hungerford Tavern. A frame court house existed in the late 18th century but was sufficiently outgrown by 1810 to . . . — Map (db m101964) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Rockville Town Square
In 1784 William Prather Williams divided part of his farm into 85 building lots, making “Williamsburgh” the first subdivision in Rockville. § 15 Cemeteries can be found with Rockville's borders. The oldest known burial — . . . — Map (db m102013) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi Lighthouse — Historic Biloxi
In 1848, the United States Lighthouse Service erected the South's first cast-iron lighthouse, in Biloxi on a low sandy bluff overlooking the Mississippi Sound. The tower was fabricated by the Murray and Hazelhurst Vulcan Works of Baltimore, . . . — Map (db m102221) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Church of the Redeemer
The Carpenter Gothic style Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, built 1873-74 was located here. Among the church's parishioners was former Confederate President Jefferson Davis. In 1892, a new church, designed by architect Thomas Sully, was constructed . . . — Map (db m102182) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Coast Guard Station Barracks
Built here in 1934 as part of a U.S. Coast Guard base, the barracks was an E-shaped, Spanish Colonial Revival style building made of reinforced concrete. Arcaded porches lined the building's wings and central pavilion, which had an octagonal . . . — Map (db m102175) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Deer Island Coastal Preserve
Through most of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th, Deer Island was owned and occupied by the Baker Family, descendents of Josephus Aiken, who acquired ownership by a patent signed by President James K. Polk. In 1951, Robert D. Sanders, . . . — Map (db m102183) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Father Ryan House
Known as the Father Ryan House, the Greek Revival house once located here was built ca. 1840 by Judge W.C. Wade of Natchez. Among the area's first vacation villas, it was sold to New Orleans architect T.W. Carter in 1885, and was altered. It may be . . . — Map (db m102178) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Slavic Benevolent Association
Originally on this site was the Slavic Benevolent Association Lodge, a 13,000 sq. ft. structure with a meeting hall accommodating 600 people. Known as the Slavonian Lodge, the building served as a social center for the large number of ethnic Slavs . . . — Map (db m102174) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — The Evolution of Biloxi Tourism — Historic Biloxi
During the early 19th Century, the Biloxi peninsula was sparsely populated with a few French speaking families. The 1827 establishment of steamboat service between New Orleans and Mobile, via Lake Pontchartrain, served as a catalyst for the . . . — Map (db m102223) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — The Landing of Pierre LeMoyne D'Iberville — Historic Biloxi
The 17th Century struggle among the French Spanish, and English for supremacy on the North American continent led the Bourbon King of France, Louis XIV to sanction an expedition from France to the Gulf of Mexico in 1698. The command was given . . . — Map (db m102218) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Tullis-Toledano House
One of the most substantial of the vacation houses on the Gulf Coast, the Tullis Toledano House was built in 1856 for New Orleans native Christoval Sebastian Toledano (1789-1869) and his wife, Matilda Pradat Toledano. The estate, composed of a . . . — Map (db m102171) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Vance-Gillis House
Built in the 1830s, the French Creole house once located here incorporated Federal and Greek Revival decorative influences tn its design. The gallery completely encircled the house, and its slender, colonnettes supported a broad hipped roof with . . . — Map (db m102173) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — White House Hotel
Established as the White House Inn in 1895, this hotel was first operated as a boarding house by Cora White. By 1910 the White House had grown in popularity and become a tourist destination. The campus encompassed seven residential . . . — Map (db m102179) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — 1863 East Pascagoula Raid
The Louisiana Native Guards, composed largely of former slaves and free men of color from Louisiana, were organized by Union Maj. Gen. Benjamin Butler in 1862. On April 9, 1863, 180 men from companies B and G of the 2nd Regiment, landed at . . . — Map (db m102161) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Dr. Felix Henry Dunn
An African American physician, lived and practiced medicine here fron 1953 until 2002. His work to register African American voters provoked repeated death threats and fire bombing of his clinic. He was president of the Gulfport Branch NAACP and . . . — Map (db m102169) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Harrison County Confederate Monument1861 — 1865 — Lest We Forget
"In Memory of our Confederate Dead" — Map (db m102155) WM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Old Gulfport High School
The Gulfport High School, built in 1923 by architect N. W. Overstreet, replaced two earlier schools built in 1899 and 1905, both of which burned. Opened in 1924 at a new location on 15th Street, the school was converted to a junior high in 1977 due . . . — Map (db m102167) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Ship Island
12 miles south of the mainland lies emerald waters and sugar white sand. Site of economic and military conquest by the Spanish in the 1500s and the French in 1699, the British in the 1700s, and the Union Army in 1861. Site of Civil War Fort . . . — Map (db m102170) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Moss Point — 193 — Moss Point Blues
Front The African American community of Moss Point has produced an abundance of talented musicians, including many who entertained along the Gulf Coast as well as some who traveled across the country and overseas as members of prominent . . . — Map (db m102156) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Ocean Springs — Marble Springs
Site probably used by Indians. Was most popular for medicinal properties from 1850s until 1920. Also known as 'Mineral Springs' and the best known nationally of Mississippi's many mineral spring resorts. — Map (db m102206) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Pascagoula — Camp Jefferson Davis
Authorized on February 22, 1848, by President James K. Polk, this camp was situated on a peninsula just south of Pascagoula called Greenwood Island. The camp grounds consisted of several buildings, including a hospital, parade ground, and . . . — Map (db m102205) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Pascagoula — Capt. John Grant
Tomb ½ block W. Built first RR in old S. W., 1831. Invented passing track & raised platform. Dredged "Grant's Pass" & E. branch Pascagoula R. Legislator in Miss., Ala., & La., voting for Ala. charter to N.O. & M. (L & N), 1866. — Map (db m102202) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Pascagoula — Krebs Cotton Gin
Invented and operated by members of pioneer Krebs family at least two decades before the Whitney gin. Family burial ground is on site of Old Spanish Fort. — Map (db m102185) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Pascagoula — MississippiThe Magnolia State
Explored, 1540-1, by De Soto. Colonized first by French, 1699. Became a colony of British, 1763; Spanish, 1779. Territory organized by U.S., 1798. Became 20th. state, 1817. — Map (db m102187) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Pascagoula — 191 — Mississippi Gulf Coast Blues & Heritage Festival
Front The Mississippi Gulf Coast Blues & Heritage Festival, one of the longest running blues festivals in the Deep South, was founded in 1991 by the Mississippi Gulf Coast Blues Commission, Inc. At the Mississippi Coast Coliseum in . . . — Map (db m102158) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Pascagoula — Pascagoula Street Railroad and Power Company
The Pascagoula Ice and Freezer Company was established in the late 1880s. Its name changed in 1903 when the one-story brick building just north of this site was built. It is the only example of Mission Revival Style architecture in Pascagoula . . . — Map (db m102184) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Pascagoula — President Zachary Taylor's Summer Home SiteUnited States of America
. . . — Map (db m102145) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), Conway — Kancamagus Highway / Who was Kancamagus?
Kancamagus Highway This scenic highway through the White Mountain National Forest was constructed through the combined efforts of the New Hampshire Department of Public Works and Highways, the U.S. Bureau of Public Roads, and . . . — Map (db m102137) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Lyons — Vail FamilyBasking Ridge Garden Club
Renewed and Dedicated April 27, 1990 A small burial ground on the site of the Daniel Vail Family Farm — Map (db m101944) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — None — Mary Morris Burnett TalbertClub woman, civil rights leader, social activist, educator 1866-1923
Mary Morris Burnett the youngest daughter of Cornelius and Caroline Nichols Burnett, was born in Oberlin Ohio. She graduated from Oberlin College in 1886 at the age of nineteen. Ms. Burnett moved to Little Rock Arkansas where she accepted a teaching . . . — Map (db m101997)
New York (Saint Lawrence County), Brier Hill — Civil War Memorial

In memory of the Sons of Morristown who answered their country's call in the dark days Of The Civil War Remember them for what they dared and what they did

Commissioned Officers [Honor Roll]

Non-Commissioned Officers . . . — Map (db m102083) WM

North Carolina (Robeson County), Pembroke — I-68 — Croatan Normal School
Established in 1887 to educate teachers of Indian youth. It was the forerunner of UNC-Pembroke. Building was 2/10 mile east. — Map (db m102210) HM
North Carolina (Robeson County), Pembroke — I-87 — Henry Berry Lowrie
Indian. Champion of the poor. Declared outlaw, he eluded capture and dissapeared in swamps, circa 1872. House 3 miles northwest. — Map (db m102211) HM
North Carolina (Robeson County), Pembroke — I-30 — University of N. C. at Pembroke
Established 1887 as the State Normal School for Indians. Since 1972 a campus of The University of North Carolina. — Map (db m102216) HM
North Carolina (Scotland County), Laurinburg — I-90 — Edwin Gill1899–1978
State treasurer, 1953–77; commissioner of the revenue, 1942–49. Secretary, Gov. O. Max Gardner, 1931–33. Lived one block N. — Map (db m102208) HM
North Carolina (Scotland County), Laurinburg — I-91 — Laurinburg Institute
Founded 1904 by E.M. and Tinny McDuffie to educate black students upon encouragement by Booker T. Washington. Campus 100 yds. east. — Map (db m102209) HM
North Dakota (Cass County), Fargo — "The Woodchipper" in FARGO
Welcome to Fargo-Moorhead's most notorious photo op! This is a "stunt double" for the equipment used in a key concluding scene of the movie FARGO. Feel free to pose for a picture and share your experience online. Step inside the FM . . . — Map (db m102057) HM
North Dakota (Cass County), Fargo — The Fargo Walk of Fame
Founded in 1989 by Fargo printer, Mike Stevens, the walk of fame was originally located on the city sidewalks of Mike's print shop, Express Press, in downtown Fargo. It was moved to the current site during the summer of 2000. The first inductee . . . — Map (db m102055) HM
Pennsylvania (Greene County), Garard's Fort — Garard's Fort
Site of frontier refuge in Revolutionary War; station in 1777 of small detachment of Virginia militia. Near here, on Sunday, May 12, 1782, Indians killed the wife and three children of Rev. John Corbley, a Baptist minister. — Map (db m102048) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — "Burn this treaty to Hell!"

On July 4, 1795, angry Philadelphians crowded the streets to protest the ratification of the Jay Treaty. The mob burned an effigy of former Chief Justice John Jay, who had negotiated a treaty with England that many people despised for its . . . — Map (db m102220) HM

Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — "We shall come to a civil war"

Abigail wrote to her sister in May of 1798 expressing her fears as the political debate heated up over President Adams' policies towards France. Over one thousand men marched in support of Adams on the street outside her window, while rumors . . . — Map (db m102222) HM

Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Promoting the Abolition of Slavery

On April 21, 1790, nearly 20,000 African and white Philadelphians lined the streets to view the funeral procession of Benjamin Franklin. Once a slave owner, Franklin was president of the Pennsylvania Abolition Society at the end of his life and . . . — Map (db m102219) HM

Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Rohm and Haas [Headquarters]

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior

Rohm and Haas

Established 1909 Building Erected 1965 — Map (db m102217) HM

South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — 1948 Myrtle Beach Airport
In 1948, the War Assets Administration transferred to the Town of Myrtle Beach the Army Air Base. Since the maintenance and operation of an airport is a year-round proposition, it was easy to see that the town had embarked upon a big venture. When . . . — Map (db m102148) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — 352nd Tactical Fighter Squadron
The 354th Day Fighter Wing was originally composed of three fighting squadrons — the 353rd, 355th and 356th Day Fighter Squadrons. In 1957, an Air Force-wide reorganization of flying units reduced the number of F-100s assigned to the Myrtle . . . — Map (db m102151) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — 353rd Tactical Fighter Squadron
The 353rd Tactical Fighter squadron was formed on November 15, 1942. During World War II the fighter squadron was known as the "Fighting Cobras,“ and served with distinction in England, France and Germany, flying the P-39, P-51 and P-47 . . . — Map (db m102103) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — 354th Fighter Group History
On November 19, 1956, the Air Force resurrected the unit as the 354th Fighter-Day Group and stationed it at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base. It was then re-designated the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing in July 1958, flying the RF-80, and during 1959 began . . . — Map (db m102127) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — 354th Fighter Group History
In August 1990, the 354th was once again deployed for combat operations this time in the Persian Gulf in support of Operation Desert Shield. By the end of the conflict, the 354th's A-10s were credited with destroying 950 tanks, 900 artillery . . . — Map (db m102163) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — 354th Fighter Group World War II History
The 354th Fighter Wing has a long and distinguished past. The wing saw action in every major conflict in which the United States was involved, except for the Korean War. Activated at Hamilton Field in California on November 15, 1942, as the 354th . . . — Map (db m102125) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — 354th Fighter Group World War II History
The 354th Tactical Fighter Wing (TFW) had its genesis as the 354th Fighter Group (FG) in November 1942 at Hamilton Field, California. In October 1943, it was moved to England and began aerial combat operations flying P-51s. In November 1944, it . . . — Map (db m102126) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — 354th Tactical Fighter Wing A-7DDeployment/Reinforcement Missions
During the period that A-7Ds operated at the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, the tactical fighter squadrons carried out important peace time deployment and reinforcement responsibilities in three key theaters of operation. In the European Theater, . . . — Map (db m102150) HM WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — 354th Wing Inactivation
354th Fighter Wing Inactivation 31 March 1993 Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, South Carolina ★ European Theater of Operaton ★ Lebanon ★ Berlin ★ Cuban Missle Crisis ★ Dominican Republic Crisis ★ Southeast . . . — Map (db m102160) HM WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — 356th Tactical Fighter Squadron
November 1956 saw the reactivation of the 356th as the "Green Demons" at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, flying the F-100D Super Sabre. The 356th participated in numerous deployments to Europe during the late 1950s and early 1960s, and also deployed . . . — Map (db m102101) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — 356th Tactical Fighter Squadron Operations
The 356th Tactical Fighter Squadron Operations (Green Demons), building 347, was located in the area now occupied by the Myrtle Beach Police Department office and Training Facility. The 356th Tactical Fighter Squadron was activated in November . . . — Map (db m102102) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — A-10 Thunderbolt II
The A-10 Thunderbolt II was assigned to the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base from 1977 to 1993. It was manufactured by the Fairchild Republic Corporation and traces its name, Thunderbolt II, back to the Republic Aircraft Corporation's Army Air Corps . . . — Map (db m102152) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — A-7D Corsair
Named after a type of pirate vessel the Corsair was the United States Navy's famed F-4U fighter aircraft of World War II. It was manufactured by the Chance Vought Corporation, which eventually became the LTV Corporation and manufacturer of the . . . — Map (db m102153) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Activation of the 354th Fighter Day Wing
In the Fall of 1956, officers and airmen from the United States Air Force were assigned to newly constructed Myrtle Beach Air Force Base to start a new fighter wing. Their task was reactivation of the famous World War II “Pioneer Mustang . . . — Map (db m102124) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Archaeological and Historical Data
Settlers from the Waccamaw Neck attempted to extend thei plantations to what was called Long Bay. Many families received land in 1735 just south of the Withers Swash when the colonial government began issuing grants. Independent farmers and . . . — Map (db m102106) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Battlefield Cross
Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association 34-3 Myrtle Beach, South Carolina Battlefield Cross Dedicated 04 July 2015 Honor – Respect - Remember — Map (db m102135) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Brigadier General James Howell Howard
General Howard was the only fighter pilot awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for heroic combat flying in the European Theater of Operations during World War II. While flying his P-51 on a bomber escort mission near Berlin in 1944, he . . . — Map (db m102039) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Brigadier General Thomas Merrit Knoles III
Brigadier General Thomas M. Knoles, a command pilot in the United States Air Force, was born in 1927 in Flagstaff, Arizona, and graduated from Flagstaff High School in 1945. He attended the University of Arizona prior to enlisting in the Army Air . . . — Map (db m102100) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Captain Paul Johnson
Captain Paul Johnson of Dresden, Tennessee, was a pilot with the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing, Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, during the Desert Storm Combat Operations over Iraq. On January 21, 1991, Captain Johnson flying an A-10 was tasked with a . . . — Map (db m102196) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Captain Stephen Richard Phillis
Captain Stephen Phillis, a native of Rock Island, Illinois, was an A-10 pilot at the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base during the time when the United States military was preparing for Operation Desert Storm in response to the lraqi occupation of Kuwait. . . . — Map (db m102041) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Cold War - Dominican Republic
In 1961, Dominican Republic Dictator Raphael Trujillo was assassinated. In the following years, turmoil and conflict were the order of the day on the island. President John F. Kennedy made it clear that it was time for democracy in the Dominican . . . — Map (db m102073) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Colonel Edsel J. "Coupe" DeVille
Colonel Deville, was born and raised in Eunice, Louisiana, in the heart of Cajun country. He received his bachelor's degree in industrial technology from Louisiana State University and his masters in business management from Georgia College. . . . — Map (db m102104) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Combat Wounded Veterans
. . . — Map (db m102191) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Desert Storm
For more than a decade, the 354th Tactical Fighter Squadron conducted routine A-10 training missions which included numerous deployments and exercises. That routine came to an abrupt end in August 1990, when the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing was . . . — Map (db m102066) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Empty Chair POW MIA Memorial
Let this empty chair serve as a memorial to those who served our great Nation, but have never returned to us. They are Prisoners Of War and our Missing In Action Dedicated to City of Myrtle Beach by Rolling Thunder, Inc. South . . . — Map (db m102134) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — F-100 D/F Super Sabre
The F-100 D/F was assigned to the 354th Fighter Day Wing, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, early in 1957. It continued to be flown by the Wing through many deployments around the world. The wing squadrons were sent to Vietnam with the F-100s. . . . — Map (db m102154) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Forgotten Warriors
“Forgotten Warriors” Honored by the Grand Strand June 28, 2008 Wolmi-Do Island   Pusan Inchon   Sudong Seoul   Chosin Reservoir Korean Conflict June 25, 1950   -   July 27, 1953 Donated By Rolling Thunder, Inc. . . . — Map (db m102133) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — General Bruce Carlson
General Bruce Carlson is a native of Hibbing, Minnesota, and is a graduate of the University of Minnesota. While at the University, he completed the Air Force ROTC (Reserve Officer's Training Corps) program as a distinguished graduate. After . . . — Map (db m102192) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Grand Strand Chapter and Unit 354
On August 7, 1782, the Badge of Military Merit was first announced to the Continental Army at the Headquarters in Newburgh, NY. Designed by Washington in the form of a purple heart, it was intended as a military order for soldiers who displayed . . . — Map (db m102190) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Joe W. Blizzard
Joe W. Blizzard was born October 19, 1915 in Dillon, South Carolina. He was South Carolina's youngest amateur golf champion at just 16. He attended Clemson College and Furman College in South Carolina. During World War II, he served with the . . . — Map (db m102105) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Lieutenant Colonel Anthony "Tony" Shine
Lieutenant Colonel (then Captain) Anthony "Tony" Shine, a native of Pleasantville, NY, was a member of the 355th Tactical Fighter Squadron when the A-7D he was piloting disappeared beneath a cloud covering over the border of North Vietnam and Laos. . . . — Map (db m102037) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Lieutenant Colonel Anthony "Tony" Shine
Lieutenant Colonel (then Captain) Anthony "Tony" Shine, a native of Pleasantville, NY, was a member of the 355th Tactical Fighter Squadron when the A-7D he was piloting disappeared beneath a cloud covering over the border of North Vietnam and Laos. . . . — Map (db m102195) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Lieutenant General John W. Rosa, Jr.
General Rosa served at the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base as an A-7 and A-10 pilot in the 353rd Tactical Fighter squadron during the period of July 1975 to August 1980. He holds an undergraduate degree from The Citadel, Charleston, South Carolina, and . . . — Map (db m102194) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Lieutenant William Glover Farrow
Lieutenant William Farrow, a Darlington, South Carolina, native, was a member of the famed Doolittle Tokyo Raiders. This daring raid against the capital of Japan was the first major attack on the Japanese homeland in World War II. After completing . . . — Map (db m102099) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Lt Col Colin Arnold Clarke
Lt Col Colin Arnold "Arnie" Clarke was born on August 31, 1935, in Seattle, Washington. Lt Col Clarke accumulated several hundred flying hours in United States Air Force aircraft, most notably the F-100 Super Sabre and the A-7D Corsair II. He . . . — Map (db m102067) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Major General Ervin C. Sharpe, Jr.
Major General Sharpe was vice commander, then commander, of the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base during the period of January 1988 to June 1991. During a portion of this time, he deployed with the Wing and A-10 aircraft . . . — Map (db m102193) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Major General James Franklin Hackler, Jr.
Born in Marion, Virginia, General James Hackler grew up in Wilmington, North Carolina. He attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and graduated from the United States Military Academy in 1943. He was then assigned to the European . . . — Map (db m102036) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Mayors of Myrtle Beach
Mayors of Myrtle Beach 1938 – 1939   W. L. Harrelson 1939 – 1941   Ben M. Graham 1941 – 1943   W. L. Harrelson 1943 – 1947   O. C. Callaway 1947 – 1949   H.W. Tallevast 1949 – 1954   J. N. Ramsey . . . — Map (db m102132) HM WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Merchant Marine Monument
In Memory and to Honor All Men of The Merchant Marine Lest We Forget Donated By The John T. Schmidt Palmetto Mariners Chapter of South Carolina In Peace And War 1775 Dedicated 2016 — Map (db m102136) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Military Aircraft Nose Art
The military aircraft nose art is an American tradition dating back to WWII. Living in uncertainty and tension, wartime servicemen found value in naming their aircraft. During WWII, the practice evolved into creating an image to accompany the name. . . . — Map (db m102165) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Mr. Fred Nash
Mr. Fred Nash, at age 71, distinguished himself by heroism involving voluntary risk of life on August 18, 1958 at Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. On that date, Mr. Nash observed an Air Force T-33 aircraft crash land and burst into flames at the . . . — Map (db m102068) HM WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Myrtle Beach Air Force Base
To commemorate the history of the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base and the people who were a part of it, the City of Myrtle Beach and the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base Redevelopment Authority erected a signage program to capture and display the history. . . . — Map (db m102035) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Myrtle Beach Air Force Base
To commemorate the history of the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base and the people who were a part of it, the City of Myrtle Beach and the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base Redevelopment Authority erected a signage program to capture and display the history. . . . — Map (db m102162) HM WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Myrtle Beach Air Force Base 1980 - 1990
Throughout the mid-1980s, the 353rd, 355th and 356th Tactical Fighter Squadrons deployed overseas to further refine the Wing's combat training initiatives. Deployments were conducted to Germany, England, Egypt, Korea, Hawaii, Cuba and Puerto Rico. . . . — Map (db m102149) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Myrtle Beach Air Force Base Historical Origin
The very beginning of a military base in Myrtle Beach can be traced to a meeting of the Myrtle Beach Town Council on October 16, 1939. At that meeting, the Council agreed to purchase 135 acres for a municipal airport, and at the next meeting, named . . . — Map (db m102109) HM WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — P-51 Mustang
P-51 Mustang is the nickname for the deadliest and greatest air-to-air fighter aircraft of World War II. At the beginning of World War II, England desperately needed some fighter aircraft and sought to buy several Curtiss P-40 "Warhawk" fighters . . . — Map (db m102159) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Prisoners of War and Missing in Action
On May 17, 1974, Major Anthony Shine was honored in ceremonies at the Base Chapel. The event was the dedication of a Freedom Tree to honor not only Major Shine, but also those who were prisoners of war and those who are still missing in action. The . . . — Map (db m102042) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Reactivation of 354th Fighter Day Wing
Address by General O.P. Weyland, United States Air Force Commander, Tactical Air Command at Reactivation of 354th Fighter Day Wing Ceremony Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina December 7, 1956 Governor Timmerman, Mayor . . . — Map (db m102129) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Replacement Training Unit (RTU) 1968-1969
On April 22, 1968, the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing was replaced at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base by the 113th Tactical Fighter Wing, a former District of Columbia Air National Guard (ANG) unit which had been recalled to active duty January 26, 1968. . . . — Map (db m102130) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Splinter City
In March 1942, units of the United States Army Air Corps opened formal operations at what was named the Myrtle Beach Bombing and Gunnery Training Range, which also encompassed the Beach airport. Construction began to meet the urgent needs for . . . — Map (db m102128) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — The Berlin Crisis 1961
The four fighter squadrons of the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing were intimately involved in the Cold War from the time the Wing became combat ready until it was deployed to the Pacific Theater during the Vietnam War. From 1958 through 1965, the Wing . . . — Map (db m102071) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — The Cold War Era 1956 - 1958
After its re-activation at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base in 1956, the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing achieved "combat ready" status on July 1, 1958. During the next eight years, in addition to maintaining tactical fighter squadrons on rotational duty . . . — Map (db m102098) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — The Cuban Missile Crisis
By many accounts, the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis was the nearest the world has come to nuclear war. In the summer of 1962, Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev secretly decided to install intermediate range ballistic missiles in Cuba to counter an . . . — Map (db m102069) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Valor in CombatAward of the Air Force Cross
The highest award that the United States Air Force can bestow upon an individual for heroic action during combat is the Air Force Cross. A pilot from the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing, Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, earned that award for his heroic . . . — Map (db m102065) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Vietnam
From 1968-1970, the 113th Tactical Fighter Wing trained F-100 pilots for combat in Vietnam. Non-combat pilots were upgraded to F-100 fighter pilots in this RTU Replacement Training Unit. In 1968, the 355th's "Fightin' Falcons" received deployment . . . — Map (db m102074) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Wall of Service
Wall of Service Dedicated To The Men And Women Military and Civilian Who Served Honorably At the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base From 1941 - 1993 — Map (db m102108) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — Warrior
This sculpture, by Doctor Richard A. Fahy, was presented to the Grand Strand PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) Group in early 2012. It was dedicated on Memorial Day, 28 May 2012. The sculpture represents the indomitable spirit of the . . . — Map (db m102164) WM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — World War II Missions Performed at Myrtle Beach Army Air Field
One of the first missions to be carried out at the base was that of coastal defense in the wake of the United States' entry into World War II. The dominant wartime mission of the base was training air crews for combat duty. Several bombing and . . . — Map (db m102123) WM
South Dakota (Spink County), Redfield — Abbie Gardner
. . . — Map (db m102060) HM
South Dakota (Spink County), Redfield — Council RockIndian Capitol of the Dakotas
The Sioux tribes established, near here, Council Rock as a central meeting place for all the bands. Using a black oviate rock measuring 6” x 11” surrounded by a circle of stones 15 feet in diameter, representatives of each tribe sat . . . — Map (db m102059) HM
South Dakota (Spink County), Redfield — Pheasant HistoryFirst successful stocking of pheasants in South Dakota
Readfield's claim as the Pheasant Capital of the World dates back to 1908. The first successful stocking of pheasants in South Dakota took place in June, 1908 when H.P. Packard, H.J. Schalke and H.A. Hagman secured three pairs of pheasants from . . . — Map (db m102058) HM
South Dakota (Spink County), Redfield — Redfield Carnegie Library
This Property has been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m102061) HM
Tennessee (Maury County), Duck River — Old Well Cemetery1820 - 1995
Land donated by Richard "Kettle Dick" Anderson from 2,000 acre land grant he settled in 1810. Named "Old Well" for well at NW corner of cemetery dug by Andrew Jackson's army returning from the battle of New Orleans. Early settlers used the well as . . . — Map (db m102063) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 1001 — Commanding Officer's Quarters
Fort Clark was established as a U.S. Army garrison in June 1852. Nine structures designed by U.S. Army engineers were built in 1873-1874 to house the fort's officers. This house served the fort's commanding officers, including Col. Ranald S. . . . — Map (db m102095) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — A Tribute to Cotton
In the early 1900s, area pioneer farmers marketed bales of cotton on this site. Today, this cotton bale serves as a monument to those who made Lubbock County and the surrounding south plains the greatest producer of upland cotton in the world. In . . . — Map (db m102084) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — J.I. Allison House circa 1950s
Originally located at 2215 6th Street, this house was preserved to commemorate the song writing of Buddy Holly and the Crickets. While at this home in 1956, Buddy Holly and J.I. Allison (original founding members of The Crickets) penned the hit . . . — Map (db m102086) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Slaton — Engine 1809
September 15, 1955 The Santa Fe Railway Company officially dedicated the steam-powered Engine 1809 to the City of Slaton. Presented by W.A.J. Carter, Superintendent of the Slaton Division of Santa Fe, the engine was accepted by Slaton Mayor L.B. . . . — Map (db m102020) HM
Utah (Emery County), Green River — Major Powell, Colorado River Explorer
The first organized attempt to conquer the swirling rapids and precipitous walled canyons of the Green and Colorado Rivers was made by Major John Wesley Powell, Civil War hero and explorer. Warned by Indians and mountaineers they would never . . . — Map (db m102089) HM
Virginia (Hampton County), Fort Monroe — Fort Monroe Concrete Seawall Eastern Terminus
Fort Monroe Concrete Seawall Eastern Terminus The place where you are standing marks the terminus of a seawall constructed along the southern shores of Old Point Comfort at various periods between 1895 to the mid-twentieth century. This seawall . . . — Map (db m102144) HM
Virginia (Hampton County), Fort Monroe — Honoring Dr. John J. Craven
Honoring Dr. John J. Craven of the United States Army Whose Humanity, Intelligent Companionship and Professional Skill Lightened The Monotony, The Loneliness and the Physical Suffering of Jefferson Davis President of The Former . . . — Map (db m102138) WM
Virginia (Hampton County), Fort Monroe — Water Battery
Water Battery Built in 1832, this casemated battery protected the seaward approach to Fort Monroe. It was obsolete by the 1890’s and demolished soon thereafter. All that remains is this powder room. The high ground beyond it s all that remains of a . . . — Map (db m102143) HM
Washington (Clallam County), Sequim — New Dungeness Light Station History
Approximately 10,000 years ago Dungeness Spit began to form. The Spit is formed from sand and gravel from the Olympic Mountains carried by the Dungeness River into Dungeness Bay. Debris is also sloughed off the bluffs to the . . . — Map (db m102078) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Glen Dale — The Cockayne Farm / Samuel A.J. Cockayne
Side A The Cockayne Farm The Cockayne farmhouse was built by Bennett Cockayne around 1850. His son Samuel A.J. was renowned as a sheep breeder. Dubbed Glendale by Samuel's wife Hannah, the farm was the namesake for Glen Dale when it . . . — Map (db m102040) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Maidsville — Fort Martin
Seven hundred feet east of this marker is the site of Martins Fort built in 1773 for the protection against the Indians and British. Here in 1779 three settlers were killed and seven were captured by the Indians. — Map (db m102052) HM
West Virginia (Tyler County), Middlebourne — Middlebourne
Established, 1813. Named because it was halfway between Pennsylvania and the old salt wells on the Kanawha above Charleston. The "Jug Handle" on Middle Island Creek is one of the noted beauty spots of the Ohio Valley. — Map (db m102049) HM
West Virginia (Tyler County), Sistersville — Van Camp
Village settled early 1800s, named for pioneer Steven(1793-1873) and family in 1840s. John and Margaret Van Camp gave land for Methodist E. Church, 1879; services held into 1940s; cemetery dates to 1851; site for school, ca. 1870-1920, given by . . . — Map (db m102051) HM
West Virginia (Wetzel County), New Martinsville — Cedar Curve Cemetery / Funerals in the Early 1800s
Side A Cedar Curve Cemetery Not far from this place on the inside of a bend called Wells Bottom sat the Cedar Curve Cemetery. The Cedar Curve Cemetery was in use from 1802-1847 on land first settled by James McMechen in 1776. It . . . — Map (db m102050) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Muskego — "Do I Smell Pizza-Burgers?"
This property was originally platted to Anson Taylor by President Martin Van Buren in 1840, then subsequently sold to William Pratt in 1854, this being platted as part of Plattsburg in 1856. In 1866 this property was sold to John Schuet who . . . — Map (db m102114) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Muskego — Park Arthur
This city park is named in honor of Arthur Henry Thiesenhusen (1898-1990) by his wife Myrtle. He farmed this land until his retirement in 1966. Arthur was the son of William Johann and Henricka "Ricka' (Garbe) Thiesenhusen - both early immigrants to . . . — Map (db m102112) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Muskego — St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran (Kirche) Church
In 1857, twelve German families started a Protestant Mission church. They brought their Christian faith and German language from the old country to what is now Muskego. Their services were conducted in German and held once a month in a rented, one . . . — Map (db m102113) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Muskego — The Devil's Teapot
In 1904, the coming of the interurban electric railway (TREM&L) made railroad travel possible between downtown Milwaukee and East Troy, WI. At this very location, a railroad trestle was constructed to bridge a two-acre pond/waterhole in a pasture on . . . — Map (db m102116) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Muskego — 19-04 — The Electric Interurban Muskego Centre Station
Starting on Sept. 1, 1904 an electric interurban line operated by TMER&L (The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Co.) ran along this Muskego Recreation Trail. The line split at St. Martin’s Junction, with one running to Burlington and the other, the . . . — Map (db m102009) HM

199 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement