Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

885 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 685
 
Bastion of San Pedro Marker image, Click for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, January 21, 2017
Bastion of San Pedro Marker
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Bastion of San Pedro
Baluarte de San Pedro Este baluarte se construyó a finales del siglo XVII en el vértice oriente del hexágono que conformaba el recinto amurallado de Campeche. En 1824 sirvió para defender a la ciudad de los embates del gobierno de Mérida y en . . . — Map (db m103001) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — House of Pablo García y Montilla
Casa del Lic. Pablo García y Montilla Esta casa fue construida durante el siglo XIX. Aquí es donde nació el abogado y político Don Pablo García y Montilla el 27 de enero de 1824. En 1857, siendo Diputado Local propuso la separación del . . . — Map (db m102995) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Pedro Sainz de Baranda y Borreyro
En esta casa nacio el 13 de marzo de 1787 el ilustre marino campechano, Don Pedro Sainz de Baranda y Borreyro, consumador de la independencia nacional, a quien el pueblo y gobierno de Campeche rinden merecido homenaje y reconocimiento. Marzo 13 . . . — Map (db m102997) WM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Professor Septimio Perez Palacios
. . . — Map (db m102998) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — The House of the King’s Lieutenant
Casa de Teniente del Rey Esta casa es una de las tres que existen en Campeche y que sirvieron como vivienda del Teniente del Rey. Construida en el siglo XVII, sirvió como residencia oficial del noveno Teniente del Rey de Campeche, don Miguel . . . — Map (db m102999) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "The Count"
El Conde Esta esquina lleva ambos nombres por haber sido primero una casa propiedad del Conde de Miraflores, único título nobililario que concedió la Corona española a los súbditos de Yucatán durante la colonia y posteriormente sede de la Lonja . . . — Map (db m102350) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Benito Juárez
Libertad Reforma 1859 Al ilustre patricio Benito Juarez El gobierno del estado de Yucatan. MCMIX. Reversa del monument: El respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz. English translation: Liberty Reforms of 1859 To the illustrious . . . — Map (db m102354) HM WM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Corner of Calle 62 and 67
Calle 62 esquina con 67 En Yucatán, el movimiento liberal independentista tiene sus raíces a inicios del siglo XIX con un movimiento llamado Sanjuanista, encabezado por el cura Vicente María Velázquez, capellán de la iglesia de San Juan . . . — Map (db m102351) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Emilio Seijo Walkway
Pasaje Emilio Seijo (o primera calle nueva)Con la construcción del mercado en el año 1948, se decide también abrir la calle 63-A como vía peatonal paralela a la 63 y la 65, situada en medio de ambas, en su tramo comprendido entre las calles 58 . . . — Map (db m102357) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Former Mansion of Doña Josefa Escudero Aguirre
Antigua casona de Doña Josefa Escudero y Aguirre Esta casona fue residencia de Doña Josefa Escudero y Aguirre, esposa de Don José Ignacio Pardío y Puerto e hija de Don Pedro Manuel Escudero Gilón y Doña María Francisca de Aguirre y Quijano. De . . . — Map (db m102347) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — General Manuel Cepeda Peraza
Al Benemerito del Estado C. General Manuel Cepeda Peraza La II Legislatura Constitucional del Estado Decreto la erección de este monumento el 26 de abril de 1869, y el decreto se cumplio en 1896 siendo gobernador el C. Lic. Carlos Peon. . . . — Map (db m102515) WM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — La Nacional Building
Edificio La Nacional Desiñado por el destacado arquitecto, Carlos Castillo Montes de Oca en 1936 para albergar oficinas, es un ejemplo de las construcciones que en Mérida mostraron influencia del Art Decó que se manifestó en Yucatán en los años . . . — Map (db m102307) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Pedro Infante Cruz Memorial
En este sitio perdió la vida trágicamente el 15 de abril de 1957, el ídolo de Mexico Pedro Infante Cruz, y Capitan Victor M. Vidal, Marciano Bautista, Ruth Rosell Chan y el niño Baltazar Martin Cruz se coloca esta placa en su memoria. Merida . . . — Map (db m102355) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Temple of St. John the Baptist
Spanish translation from English text: Templo de San Juan Bautista Patrimonio Nacional Este edificio fue erigido entre 1769 y 1770 en el sitio de una capilla del siglo XVI, como un acto invocando la protección de San Juan Bautista . . . — Map (db m102352) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Gran Hotel
Desde su construcción en 1901 y su inauguración el Domingo, 19 de Octubre de 1902 el Gran Hotel ha sido uno de los hoteles mas famosos del sureste mexicano, favorito de turistas, tanto nacionales como extranjeras. El Gran Hotel ha servido como . . . — Map (db m102514) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Progreso), Progreso — Arrival of José Martí to Mexico
A Jose Martí Perez en el CXXX aniversario de su llegada a tierras mexicanas por el puerto de Progreso el 8 de febrero de 1875 H. Ayuntamiento de Progreso de Castro 2004-2007 Progreso de Castro Yuc febrero 8 del 2005 Jose . . . — Map (db m102375) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Progreso), Progreso — Heroes of Chapultepec and Veracruz
A la memoria de nuestros heroes Niños que ofendaron sus vidas en defensa de la patria en las epicas jornadas de Chapultepec y Veracruz, La Asociacion de la Heroica Escuela Naval Militar en su XIX Asamblea Anual Ordinaria celebrada en esta ciudad. . . . — Map (db m102404) WM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Progreso), Progreso — Juan Miguel Castro
Juan Miguel Castro Fundador de Progreso y Benemerito del Estado. Julio 1º - 1871. a 1930. Restuarado y devuelto a su aspecto orginal por el H. Ayuntamiento 1995-1998 El 25 de febrero de 1856 surgio a la vida, donde antes existio el rancho . . . — Map (db m102372) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — Architecture
Arquitectura La arquitectura Puuc destaca por el avance tecnológico que comenzó a desarrollarse alrededor del 600 d.C. y que alcanzó su perfeccionamiento hacia el 770-950 d.C. El desarrollo en la técnica de los núcleos constructivos que se . . . — Map (db m102930) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — Quadrangle of the Birds
Cuadrángulo de los Pájaros Lo integran cuatro edificios de tipo palacio, cada uno de los cuales consta de varios recintos. En medio del patio se ve un altar de base cuadrada y una columna cilíndrica en el centro. La decoración de los edificios . . . — Map (db m102858) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — Quadrangle of the Nuns
Cuadrángulo de las Monjas Este conjunto arquitectónico se conforma por cuatro estructuras que desplantan sobre plataformas de diferentes niveles dispuestas alrededor de un gran patio. Cada fachada presenta una combinación de diseños cuyo . . . — Map (db m102817) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — Stelae Building
Edificio de Estelas En esta plataforma se localizaron 15 estelas, de éstas destaca la número 14, localizada en el museo del sitio. En la Estela 14 se representa la imagen del único gobernante de Uxmal que se ha identificado hasta ahora y quien . . . — Map (db m102959) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Ballgame
Fue una actividad ritual adivinatoria y de adquisición de prestigio social. Se jugaba con esferas macizas de caucho que los participantes golpeaban utilizando una vestimenta protectora especial. El objetivo era mantener la pelota en movimiento y, . . . — Map (db m102854) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Cemetery Group
El Grupo del Cementerio Los relieves de calaveras con huesos entrelacruzados y tocados presentes en cuatro pequeñas plataformas al norte del patio, dieron nombre al conjunto que data de 900-1000 d.C. Al poniente existen tres edificaciones sobre . . . — Map (db m102947) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Columns Building or the East Portico
Edificio de las Columnas o el Pórtico Oriente Se encuentra en el límite oriente del patio en el que se está el Juego de Pelota. Mide 30 m. de largo por 4 m. de ancho. Es muy semejante al Edificio Sur del Cuadrángulo de los Pájaros y al Templo . . . — Map (db m102857) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Governor's Palace
El Palacio del Gobernador Esta asentado sobre una plataforma de 8 a 12 m de altura, 187 m. de largo y 170 m. de ancho. La estructura mide 98 m. de frente por 12 m. de ancho; fue dividida en tres partes separadas por bóvedas transversales muy . . . — Map (db m102934) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Great Temple / Great Pyramid
Templo Mayor o Gran Pirámide Este monumento mide alrededor de 80 m. en su costado norte y aproximadamente 30 m. de altura. Su forma general es la de una pirámidecuadrangular truncada, de nueve cuerpos escalonados. La escalinata norte conduce a . . . — Map (db m102935) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The House of the Magician
La Casa del Adivino Fachada este estilo Puuc Este edificio piramidal mide en su totalidad alrededor de 35 m de altura y tiene una planta elíptica. Hasta la fecha se han detectado cinco fases constructivas realizadas en diferentes momentos y con . . . — Map (db m102542) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Pigeon-House Cluster
El Grupo del Palomar El nombre palomar se aplicó por los calados de la crestería, que semeja un palomar. El conjunto está formado por un patio rectangular rodeado de edificios de tipo palacio, de los cuales sólo se conserva un sector del . . . — Map (db m102939) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Pillory Shrine
Adoratorio de la Picota Este adoratorio consiste en un basamento cuadrada en cuyo centro está enclavado un monolito con forma de cono truncado, que al parecer estuvo recubierto de estuco y sobre el aplanado se pintaron motivos ornamentales . . . — Map (db m102932) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Throne of the Jaguar
El Trono del Jaguar Consta de una pequeña plataforma de 4.85 m. por lado y 1.20 m. de altura a la que se accede mediante escaleras ubicadas en sus cuatro costados. En medio de la plataforma se colocó una escultura de un jaguar bicéfalo, que . . . — Map (db m102931) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — Uxmal Archaeological Site
Uxmal Se localiza en el valle de Santa Elena al sur de la serranía Puuc ubicada al sudoeste de la península de Yucatán. La ocupación se remonta al 500 a.C., sin embargo, durante los siglos IX y XII d.C. fue sede del poder politico y económico . . . — Map (db m102533) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — West facade of the Chenes style Temple IV
Fachada oeste estilo Chenes (Templo IV). El Templo IV se aprecia en la parte superior de la cara oeste del Templo del Adivino. Por sus características corresponde al estilo Chenes. Este estilo se desarrolló al sur de Uxmal en la región . . . — Map (db m102547) HM
Panama, Chiriquí (District of David), David — Former Home of General Francisco Morazán
G.ral Francisco Morazan Nació en Honduras 3 octubre 1792 Consagró su vida a la democracia y luchó por la unidad Centro Americana. Murió como martir en San José de Costa Rica 15 septiembre 1842 Marcador adicional La posteridad me hará . . . — Map (db m102791) HM WM
Alabama (Houston County), Dothan — First Missionary Baptist ChurchDothan, Alabama
(side 1)
In 1889, Georgia Baptists led by Reverend W. M. Carter organized the New Hope Baptist Church in the village of Poplar Head. Reverend Robert Nelson was called as the first pastor. In 1907, newly-elected trustees incorporated . . . — Map (db m102970) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Thomas Monroe Campbell
. . . — Map (db m102540) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Grand Bay — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
In 1775, William Bartram, Colonial naturalist, visited Mobile and environs recording flora, fauna, land areas, and rivers. — Map (db m102188) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — First United Methodist Church“Growing in Christ, Sharing God’s Love”
Front: The historic First United Methodist Church is the oldest continually meeting congregation in Decatur and the only downtown church still worshiping in its nineteenth century sanctuary. Circuit riders served local Methodists from . . . — Map (db m102816) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Rising Sun Lodge No. 29Ancient Free & Accepted Masons
Dr. Henry Rhodes, for whom Rhodes Ferry Landing was named, was Decatur's first Postmaster and one of the organizers of the Lodge (Nov. 22, 1826). Chartered in 1827, its first Worshipful Master was Colonel Francis Dancy, builder of the Dancy-Polk . . . — Map (db m102823) HM
Arizona, Tucson — Steward Observatory
Steward Observatory 90 inch Reflector University of Arizona Erected 1967 Board of Regents Jack Williams   Governor · George W. Chambers   President · Elwood W. Bradford · Sarah Folsom · Wesley P. Gross · Leon Levy · Norma Barr Rockfellow · . . . — Map (db m102921) HM
Arizona, Tucson — The McMath Solar Telescope
This drawing shows the interior of the McMath solar telescope. You are looking at only part of telescope which is above ground. The tunnel for the light beam and the observing rooms where the scientific work is done are buried under the mountain. . . . — Map (db m102919) HM
Arizona, Tucson — The Vacuum Telescope
The Vacuum Telescope The accompanying picture shows a cross section of the solar vacuum telescope. This facility, built in 1973, is used to study the evolution of sunspots and other solar magnetic fields. It is operated daily by the National Solar . . . — Map (db m102918) HM
Arizona, Tucson — The WIYN Observatory
The octagon-shaped building that you see in the distance is the enclosure for the telescope of the WIYN Observatory. Completed in 1994, WIYN is owned and operated by the University of Wisconsin, Indiana University, Yale University, and the . . . — Map (db m102920) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — 1st Lieutenant Ralph Ambrose O’Neill
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes 1st Lieutenant Ralph Ambrose O’Neill 1896 — 1980 Hailing from Nogales AZ, Ralph O’Neill served in the U.S. Army Air Service with the 147th Aero . . . — Map (db m102904) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — 3-Inch Mark 33 Deck Gun
The 3-Inch Mark 33 is a twin dual-purpose drive mount on a carriage base ring structure used with selective remote or local control. The Gun is primarily designed for defense against enemy aircraft and was installed on combat ships. Each gun is . . . — Map (db m102917) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Arizonan Tuskegee Airmen
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Arizonan Tuskegee Airmen 1940 — 1949 “Red Tails” The Tuskegee Airmen set the precedent African-Americans could excel in military . . . — Map (db m102913) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Arizonan Women Airforce Service Pilots – WASP
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Arizonan Women Airforce Service Pilots – WASP 1942 — 1944 “We live in the wind and sand … and our eyes are on the stars!” The . . . — Map (db m102898) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Barrett Tillman
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Barrett Tillman Barrett Tillman (born 1948) is an award-winning author who has made significant contributions to aviation history. As a teenaged private . . . — Map (db m102907) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — BGen. Joseph J. Foss
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes BGen. Joseph J. Foss 1915 — 2003 Medal of Honor Brigadier General Joseph J. Foss was awarded the Medal of Honor while flying with Marine Fighting . . . — Map (db m102912) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Captain Ted Elvans Lines (AAF)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Captain Ted Elvans Lines (AAF) 1921 — 2005 Born and raised in Arizona, Ted Lines joined the U.S. Army Air Forces after his graduation from Mesa Union . . . — Map (db m102908) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Colonel Bruce Perry Crandall U.S. Army (Ret.)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Colonel Bruce Perry Crandall U.S. Army (Ret.) 1933 — Colonel Bruce Crandall served two tours in Vietnam as a Army helicopter pilot, leading over 900 . . . — Map (db m102901) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Dr. S. Harry Robertson III
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Dr. S. Harry Robertson III 1934 — Father of Crashworthy Fuel Systems Dr. S. Harry Robertson, a life-long Arizonan, has made unique contributions to . . . — Map (db m102902) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — General Seth Jefferson McKee, USAF (Ret.)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes General Seth Jefferson McKee, USAF (Ret.) 1916 — During World War II, General Seth McKee commanded the 370th Fighter Group in Europe and achieved . . . — Map (db m102909) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Lt. Frank Luke, Jr.
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Lt. Frank Luke, Jr. 1897 — 1918 The Arizona Ballon Buster Lieutenant Frank Luke, Jr. became “The Arizona Balloon Buster” of WWI. Flying . . . — Map (db m102899) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Major Frederick E. Ferguson
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Major Frederick E. Ferguson 1939 — Medal of Honor Frederick E. Ferguson gradated from the US Army Warrant Officer flight program in 1957 and was . . . — Map (db m102900) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Major Gen Carl G. Schneider, USAF (Ret)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Major Gen Carl G. Schneider, USAF (Ret) Carl Schneider enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Force in 1946. He graduated from Williams AFB flying the P-51 Mustang. . . . — Map (db m102905) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — MGen Barry Morris Goldwater, USAFR
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes MGen Barry Morris Goldwater, USAFR 1909 — 1993 Barry Goldwater served in World War II with the U.S. Army Air Force as an instructor and Ferry Command . . . — Map (db m102903) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Rear Admiral Hugh Dennis Wisely (USN, ret)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Rear Admiral Hugh Dennis Wisely (USN, ret) Admiral Wisely entered the Naval Aviation Cadet Program in 1961. He flew 350 combat missions with VF-114 over . . . — Map (db m102906) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Rear Admiral Walter Lewis Chatham, USN (Ret)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Rear Admiral Walter Lewis Chatham, USN (Ret) 1934 — Naval Aviator Rear Admiral “Lew” Chatham, USN (Retired) has approximately 5,000 . . . — Map (db m102910) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Sergei I. Sikorsky
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Sergei I. Sikorsky 1925 — Rotorcraft Pioneer Mr. Sergei Sikorsky learned aviation from the ground up working with his father, Igor. He began . . . — Map (db m102911) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona
Dedicated to The Memory of All The Patriotic Men and Women Who Answered Their Country’s Call To Service George W. Bush President of The United States Anthony J. Principi Secretary U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Roger R. Rapp . . . — Map (db m102949) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Unidentified Veterans
. . . — Map (db m102948) WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Veterans Memorial CarillonNational Memorial Cemetery of Arizona
Amvets National Service Foundation In Partnership With The Unified Arizona Veterans And The Arizona Department Of Veterans Services Dedicate This Carillon As A Living Memorial To American Veterans Who Served Their Country Honorably For . . . — Map (db m102950) WM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Kitt Peak National Observatory
Kitt Peak National Observatory Founded 1958 The observatory’s objectives are to strengthen basic research and education in astronomy throughout the United States, its territories and possessions. The observatory is available to . . . — Map (db m102813) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 122
Constructed 1891 in as dry goods and grocery store until 1915. Utah Apts above and restaurant below. Became the Apple Apts and Dixie Coffee Shop in 1840's. Recently was Magnolia Gift and Night Train Lounge. Remodeled apartments 1992. Wheatley . . . — Map (db m102704) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 126
Constructed in 1891 as a clothing store by Simon Meyer, one of the most successful merchants in the late 1890's. In 1923 Rosa Meyer opened a dry goods store and later the Walkowitz General Store. Most recently the Oyster Bar restaurant. Wheatly . . . — Map (db m102708) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 201The Howe Hotel
. . . — Map (db m102563) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 304
. . . — Map (db m102942) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 308
. . . — Map (db m102768) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Babe Ruth
Ruth trained here nine times and became a very familiar face around Hot Springs. He hiked the mountains, took the baths, played golf, patronized the casinos, and visited the racetrack. On March 17, 1918 (St. Patrick's Day), he launched a . . . — Map (db m102588) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Buck Ewing
Many baseball historians regard Ewing as the greatest all-around 19th century player. He came to the Army-Navy Hospital in Hot Springs in 1892, seeking medical advice for his sore throwing arm. On March 19th, after successful treatment, he hit a . . . — Map (db m102685) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — First Hotel and Bath House in the Hot Springs Territory
Near this spot around the year 1790 stood the first hotel and bath house built in the Hot Springs Territory. To mark the site of the first permanent citizen, the host of this tavern, JOHN PERCIFUL, reputed to have been a revolutionary soldier. This . . . — Map (db m102684) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Fogel Field
This field, also known as Fordyce Field, was constructed in 1912 by the Hot Springs Park Company to meet the demand of over 250 major leaguers training in Hot Springs. The Philadelphia Phillies’ owner Horace Fogel, leased the field for his team. The . . . — Map (db m102584) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Hot Springs: The Birthplace of Spring BaseballThese Hall of Fame Inductees trained here or had significant connections to Hot Springs
Left Side Hot Spring's reputation as a health an recreation resort attracting the rich and famous was certainly true in the late 1800's and well into the 20th century. The city had fine hotels, lively nightclubs, a beautiful mountain . . . — Map (db m102887) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Mel Ott
This Hall of Fame outfielder, tutored by "Mugsy" McGraw, played his entire career with the New York Giants, hitting 511 home runs. On his thirtieth birthday, March 2, 1939, in an intra-squad game here at Whittington Park, "Master Melvin" belted . . . — Map (db m102764) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Ohio and Southern Clubs
Most Major League players of the early 20th century had few inhibitions and many enjoyed gambling during training trips to Hot Springs. Among the most popular casinos in the city were the Southern Club, built a few doors to the right in 1893, and . . . — Map (db m102678) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Site of the Founding Convention Assemblies of God April 2-12, 1914
More than 300 persons met in the Grand Opera House, 200 Central Avenue, and formed The General Council of the Assemblies of God. From this beginning the Assemblies of God has grown to more than 66 million adherents in 252 countries, territories . . . — Map (db m102765) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Smoky Joe Wood
After training in Hot Springs in 1912, twenty-two-year-old Smoky Joe Wood compiled a 34-5 record and led the Boston Red Sox to a victory in the World Series. On March 28, 1913, Smoky pitched five scoreless innings at Whittington Park versus the . . . — Map (db m102574) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Whittington Park
More baseball was played in the ballpark on this corner than anywhere else in Hot Springs. Built in 1894 and used until 1942. Whittington Park, later named Ben Johnson Field, was the epicenter of baseball in Hot Springs. A partial list of those who . . . — Map (db m102604) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Augustus Hill Garland
At about this site stood the law office of Augustus Hill Garland Member of House and Senate of the Confederate Congress He prepared and won the case of ex parte Garland in the U.S. Supreme Court, thus effecting the readmission . . . — Map (db m102759) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — First Site: Arkansas College of Medicine
. . . — Map (db m102763) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Freedom Riders in Little Rock
On 10 July 1961 five Freedom Riders from the St. Louis branch the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE) - Benjamin Elton Cox, Annie Lumpkin, Bliss Ann Malone, John Curtis Raines and Janet Reinitz-arrived at the Mid-West Trailways bus station at Markham . . . — Map (db m102140) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Geyer & Adams Building(1914)
In 1904, John E. Geyer and his business partner John D. Adams moved their wholesale grocery business into a building located on this site. The partners replaced that building with this structure, designed by Charles Thompson, in 1914. The Geyer and . . . — Map (db m102091) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Porbeck & Bowman Building(1882)
Max Hilb and William Probst built this structure, designed by Joseph Willis, in 1882 for Probst & Hilb Liquor Company. The upper floor contained a two-story space that housed Concordia Hall, a Jewish social club. F. M. Fletcher and T.J. McCarthy . . . — Map (db m102056) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — The "Little Rock"1722
A section of the "Little Rock" located at the foot of Rock Street forming the south pier of the railroad bridge over the Arkansas River, being the first rock seen by the French explorer, Bernard De La Harpe, on his voyage from the mouth of the . . . — Map (db m102141) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Tuf-Nut Lofts
This property operated as horse stable in the late 19th century followed by the construction of single family dwellings. The primary user of the property during the 20th century was the Tuf-Nut Garment Manufacturing Company. Founded by James D. . . . — Map (db m102093) HM
California (Calaveras County), San Andreas — The Red Barn
The Red Barn Museum is the only remnant of The Calaveras County Hospital that remains on these grounds. The two-story hospital was built in 1870, and remained in use until Mark Twain Hospital was constructed in 1951. This building served as the . . . — Map (db m102244) HM
California (Calaveras County), Sheep Ranch — Sheep Ranch
The discovery of gold in 1860 on George Johnson's Sheep Ranch, by Harvey Childers led to the birth of the community. In the 1870's the town included a Catholic and Protestant Church, a post office, a two teacher school with 30 students, and the . . . — Map (db m102263) HM
California (Calaveras County), Sheep Ranch — Sheep Ranch Mine
First located in 1867, the fabulous Sheep Ranch Mine produced more than 8 million dollars in gold while in operation. Aquired in 1877, by senator George Hearst, K.B. Haggin and associates. It was operated continuously by the Hearst firm until 1893, . . . — Map (db m102288) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — Christmas Tree Lane
In June of 1919, William "Billy" Winning, age 14 died in a tragic accident at his family home on Van Ness Boulevard. In December of 1920, Billy's mother, Mae, decorated the deodur cedar in front of the home as a memorial to Billy, who had loved . . . — Map (db m102120) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — Kogetsu-Do
Kogetsu-Do A Fresno landmark. Confectioner Kogetsu - Do has survived in the same location it has occupied for 99 Years. Sugimatsu Ikeda and his wife Sakino started the business in 1915 and were able to purchase this building on "F" Street in . . . — Map (db m101863) HM
California (Kern County), California City — 20-Mule Team Trail
From 1883 to 1889, wagons hauled borax along this road 165 miles from Death Valley to Mohave. The route was laid out by J.W.S. Perry. He and a muleskinner named Ed Stiles designed the wagons to carry the heavy loads to the rail depot. The wagon . . . — Map (db m101998) HM
California (Marin County), Fairfax — CHL 679 — Site of Birds Nest Glen
The home of "Lord" Charlie Snowden Fairfax, pioneer and political leader of the 1850's, served California as an assemblyman (1853), Speaker of the Assembly (1854), and Clerk of the State Supreme Court (1856). Fairfax, a descendent of Scottish barons . . . — Map (db m102697) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — AT&T & RCA Receiving StationsShip-to-Shore Communication
The remaining antenna fields and buildings in front of you were established by two cutting-edge worldwide communications companies in 1931. American Telephone and Telegraph (AT&T) radio-telephone station KMI provided two-way voice services between . . . — Map (db m102641) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — Francis Drake
On June 17, 1579 Francis Drake landed on these shores and took possession of the country calling it Nova Albion. — Map (db m102674) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — Lives of Sacrifice and Service are Honored Here
Since 1889, United States Life-Saving Service and Coast Guard crews have risked their lives to save shipwreck victims at Point Reyes. Brave crews of highly trained men struggled in some of the worst conditions in North America, sacrificing comfort, . . . — Map (db m102689) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — Preserving Our Maritime Past
The heyday of life-saving at Point Reyes is over, but this 1927 lifeboat station still stands alive with a history nearly lost along our coast. While the station preserves the last intact marine railway on the Pacific Coast, the history of ordinary . . . — Map (db m102690) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — Providing Global CommunicationsPoint Reyes Receiving Station
The Radio Corporation of America (RCA) wireless stations on the Point Reyes Peninsula were know as the "Wireless Giant of the Pacific." The station locations and cutting-edge wireless technology developed by the company under the leadership of . . . — Map (db m102643) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — Victims of the Coast
No one knows how many cries for help went unanswered along this isolated coast. If shipwreck victims were not overcome by pounding surf, they would perish in a cold sea. But once the Life-Saving Station was established in 1889, victims of the coast . . . — Map (db m102676) HM
California (Marin County), Mill Valley — Grist Mill Stones
found in Mill Valley at adobe home site of John T. Reed, first Mexican land grantee in Marin County. Donated by the family of John and Cora Gardner Burt Map (db m102475) HM
California (Marin County), Mill Valley — Mill Valley Railroad Depot
Constructed in 1929 by Northwestern Pacific Railroad, this mission revival-style depot replaced an earlier station at the same location. The first train arrived in Mill Valley in 1890 at a time when the town was called Eastland. This depot served as . . . — Map (db m102444) HM
California (Marin County), Mill Valley — CHL 922 — Outdoor Art Club
The Outdoor Art Club was designed in 1904 by Bernard Maybeck; internationally known American architect. Particularly notable for its unusual roof truss system, the building exemplifies Maybeck's creative use of natural materials. The Club, founded . . . — Map (db m102447) HM
California (Marin County), Mill Valley — Reed's MillRegistered California Historical Landmark
The mill was constructed in the 1830's by John Reed and was one of the first saw mills in Northern California. The mill site was utilized in May 1890 to conduct a public land auction of land parcels that signaled the founding of the City of Mill . . . — Map (db m102449) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — (Novato) City Hall901 Sherman Avenue
After Novato was incorporated in 1960, city officials found a ready-made City Hall in the former Presbyterian Church, built in 1896. The City purchased it in 1962; it was repainted dark red with white trim and in 1963, it reopened as Novato's City . . . — Map (db m102618) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — DeBorba's819 Grant Avenue
Antone (Tony) V. DeBorba opened Deborba's Inn on Grant Avenue in 1906. When Prohibition forced him out of business, he leased a building at Grant and Highway 101 (now Redwood Blvd.) and opened "DeBorba's Stage Station," a favorite respite for . . . — Map (db m102600) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Druids Hall
Originally called Loustaunau Hall, erected in 1895, where many organizations held meetings and socials for nearly 100 years. Now hall of Novato Grove Druids No. 113 — Map (db m102572) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Druid's Hall/ Loustaunau's Hall801 Grand Avenue
In 1890, Dr, H.J. Conradt purchased two lots, where this building now stands, for $10 from the Home and Farm Company. In 1898, when John (Jean) Loustaunau decided to build his own hotel, saloon and restaurant, he and his wife purchased the lots from . . . — Map (db m102596) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Fashion Shop800 Grant Avenue
Stephen Porcella's Fashion Shop - a blacksmith shop and iron works - was built circa 1893. This business was named the "Fashion Shop" because Porcella would "fashion a tool to suit the customer." Pprcella made and repaired iron equipment, built . . . — Map (db m102597) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Lloyd Andrews Hamilton
Dedicated to the Memory of Lloyd Andrews Hamilton First Lieutenant 17th Areo Squadron Awarded Distinguished Service Cross for Extraordinary Heroism in Action at Varssionagre, Belgium August 18, 1918 Killed in Action Near . . . — Map (db m102756) WM
California (Marin County), Novato — Novato Bank826 Grant Avenue
Originally this site was occupied by a meat market and the first Novato Bank was housed temporarily in a wooden structure reportedly located on the east side of Grant Avenue. The Novato Bank was built in 1913 by the property owner, Frank Silva. The . . . — Map (db m102602) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — GPY 140-08 — Novato Bank Building826-828 Grant Avenue Novato, California
The Novato Bank (828 Grant Avenue) was built in 1913 by property owner, Frank Silva. The bank served ranchers, merchants, home builders, and the Novato area. The adjoining section of the building (826 Grant Avenue)first served as a drugstore when . . . — Map (db m102561) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Novato History Museum
This building was the home of the first Novato Post Office - February 2, 1856. Maintained by Novato Historical Guild. — Map (db m102582) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Novato's First Railroad Station
Constructed in 1875. Moved here from original site and restored to depict first structure relating to railroad transportation linking Marin and northern counties. — Map (db m102571) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Postmaster's House815 De Long Avenue
The Postmaster's House, one of the oldest structures in Novato, was built circa 1850 and was originally located on South Novato Blvd west of Yukon Way. The earliest known occupant was Henry Jones, who began Novato's postal service in 1856 and served . . . — Map (db m102594) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Scott General Store857 Grant Avenue
On February 4, 1890, the Sausalito News reported "A.D. Scott will erect a fine store and move his general merchandise business to the town site." Alexander Dill Scott, who emigrated from Nova Scotia, built his store at this location. The post . . . — Map (db m102617) HM
California (Marin County), Sam Rafael — CHL 924 — Wa Jen Ha LioChina Camp
There are two markers on this monument One of the earliest, largest and most productive Chinese fishing villages in California, China Camp was in operation by 1870. The Chinese immigrants and their descendants introduced the use of . . . — Map (db m102451) HM
California (Marin County), San Anselmo — The Log Cabin
Home of San Anselmo American Legion Post 179. Built by the veterans of World War I, Post Ladies Auxiliary, Boy Scout Troops and dedicated community volunteers. Construction began April 23, 1933 and was completed and dedicated May 27, 1934. . . . — Map (db m102721) WM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — Bradford House
c. 1883 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Restored by the Loder Family c. 2010 — Map (db m102757) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — China Camp
This spot was once the center of a thriving Chinese fishing village. Starting in the 1860s emigrants from the Kwantung province in China lived with their families and fished here. China Camp is the only surviving fishing village among many in the . . . — Map (db m102477) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — Junk Grace Quan
The Grace Quan is a reconstruction of a San Francisco Bay Shrimp junk. Between 1860 and 1910, these were the workhorse of the Bay Area's Chinese-owned dried shrimp industry. The Shrimp Junks closely resembled vessels from the fishermen's home . . . — Map (db m102478) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — Marin
Indian Warrior Baptized by Franciscan Fathers. A Ferryman on the San Francisco Bay, He Became Known as El Marinero (The Sailor) Died about 1835 — Map (db m102758) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — CHL 630 — St. Vincent's School for Boys
In 1853, Timothy Murphy, Irish born pioneer of Marin County, gave 317 acres of land to Archbishop Alemany for educational purposes. Here the Sister of Charity in 1855 founded a school now called St. Vincent's School for Boys. It has been maintained . . . — Map (db m102452) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — William A. Richardson
Born London 1797. Died Sausalito, California 1856. First Captain of the Port of San Francisco, builder of the first structure on the first street, Calle de la Fundacion, Yerba Buena (now Grant Ave., San Francisco) June 25, 1835. Founder also of . . . — Map (db m102775) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Battery AlexanderRaining fire from the sky
Battery Alexander, fully armed by 1906, mounted eight 12-inch mortars designed to fire shells in a high arc - up and then down onto the decks of enemy battleships. Low-trajectory gunfire from nearby batteries, aimed close to the enemy's waterline, . . . — Map (db m102819) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Battery Construction No. 129Last of the big gun emplacements
Never named because it was never finished, this battery was designed for the biggest, most powerful guns ever used by the United States military - 16-inch caliber weapons that fired 2,100-pound shells and could hit ships 26 miles out to sea. . . . — Map (db m102778) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Battery Mendell
Battery Mendell's mission was to keep enemy warships farther from San Francisco's harbor than any of the earlier coastal defences were equipped to do. Built in 1905, the battery was positioned as far west on the headlands as possible and armed with . . . — Map (db m102829) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Cold War Legacy: Missiles to Marine MammalsMarin Headlands Golden Gate National Park
The Marine Mammal Center is built on the site of the former Nike Missile Launch Area, SF 87L. In the 1950s, the army constructed two batteries in the Marin Headlands equipped with surface-to-are missiles, one near Fort Cronkhite and a second across . . . — Map (db m102832) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Construction 129
Despite its imposing appearance, Construction 129 was never used - or even completed. It was to have been armed with 2 guns having massive, 16" diameter barrels. Each weapon weighed almost 1,000,000 pounds and could accurately fire a 2,100 pound . . . — Map (db m102784) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Mortars to MissilesMilitary power at the Golden Gate
For the first three-quarters of the 20th century, the Marin Headlands were fortified with weapons that evolved from cannon to nuclear warheads. The guns became more and more powerful, able to hit warships miles out to sea. Antiaircraft guns appeared . . . — Map (db m102828) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Nike Missile Site SF88
By 1945, the age of aerial warfare had fully arrived and the U.S. Army sought a weapon that could intercept enemy aircraft. In 1951, after years of research and development, a supersonic missile controlled by ground-based electronic equipment was . . . — Map (db m102818) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Sausalito Ferry Terminals
Three plaques provide an historical overview of the the Sausalito ferry terminals. c. 1890 In 1907 the rail system in Sausalito was expanded to consolidate facilities so that interurban trains could operate only from Sausalito. . . . — Map (db m102437) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Strengthening an IconGolden Gate Bridge Seismic Retrofit
The Golden Gate Bridge, completed in 1937, is a monument of the last century, and could be damaged by a strong earthquake. Seismic retrofit construction is underway to transform the international icon into a strong and flexible structure that can . . . — Map (db m102776) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — The Bay Transformed
For thousands of years Native Americans lived in the Bay Area harvesting animals, salt, and acorns. The changes they made to the landscape were limited. They used fire to shape oak woodlands and grasslands. cultivated plants, and collected salt in . . . — Map (db m102474) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — The Golden GateA narrow three-mile channel
Providing a narrow entrance to the west coast's most defensible harbor, the strategic value of the Golden Gate is readily apparent. Between 1776 and 1846, Spanish, then Mexican, guns defended the harbor entrance. Starting in 1846, American soldiers . . . — Map (db m102777) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — The Golden Gate Bridge
The Golden Gate Bridge is a structure of striking form and elegance. Built in 1937, it remains an indispensable link in the Bay Area's transportation network and a historical monument of civil engineering and construction. The bridge was named for . . . — Map (db m102433) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — William RichardsonFounder of Sausalito — 1795 - 1856
In 1822, English-born Richardson arrived in San Francisco Bay on the whaler "Orion." After his baptism at Mission Dolores, he married Maria Antonia Martinez, daughter of the Commandante of the Presidio. In 1835, he founded Pueblo Yerba Buena, later . . . — Map (db m102432) HM
California (Marin County), Tomales — Tomales Presbyterian Church
Founded 1865 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United State Department of the Interior 38.2453, -122.907 — Map (db m102639) HM
California (Mendocino County), Percy — Mignon "Minnie" Stoddard Lilley
In the woods across the road behind you lies the mausoleum of Minnie Stoddard Lilley, a homesteader, pioneer and teacher of early Mendocino County. From 1904 to 1936 Stoddard taught in a one room schoolhouse in the Andersonia/Percy area. For many . . . — Map (db m102242) HM
California, San Francisco — Bernard Maybeck (1862-1957)American Master
Walk through the grounds of the Palace of Fine Arts and notice how vistas change before your eyes. As vegetation frames and softens the lines of the architecture, the architecture in turn becomes a picture frame, highlighting views of the lush . . . — Map (db m102290) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Defending the Golden Gate
The Army mounted twenty-one cannon here on the barbette tier. Soldiers could aim the cannon to defend against attack from land or sea. "Yesterday, Queen Emma and suite, of the Hawaiian Islands....visited fortifications of the harbor...The . . . — Map (db m102276) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Granville House
On August 16, 1878, Mr. J. Granville contracted with the Spring Valley Water Works to provide water for his family, a lodger, a cow, and irrigation; his home was duly recorded as containing 500 sq. ft. In May of 1883, the water line water line was . . . — Map (db m102431) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Carpenter Shop...
The usual ship's carpenter was a Northerner - a Scot, a Finn, a Swede, a Norwegian, or a Nova Scotiaman. All of these were superb woodworker and equal to the to the variety of tasks found on shipboard. For instance, windjammers always carried . . . — Map (db m102168) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Franscico — Defending the Golden Gate
This level is called the "barbette tier" Cannon mounted "en barbette" have carriages which permit soldiers to fire them over a parapet (or wall). The parapet here is 7 feet 2 inches thick. Fort Point's barbette cannon could sink any wooden ship . . . — Map (db m102278) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Franscico — Fort Point Light
The treacherous waters of the Golden Gate have claimed dozens of ships and hundreds of lives. Beginning in 1852, the United States Government funded the construction of a chain of 59 light-houses along the California coast. The Fort Point light . . . — Map (db m102283) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Franscico — The Palace LagoonFrom Water-Filled Bog to Landmark
The lagoon fronting the Palace of Fine Arts is a relic of San Francisco's early landscape. It was once part of a slough on a tidal wetland stretching from present-day Divisadero Street well into the Presidio. Salt water from the San Francisco Bay . . . — Map (db m102286) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Nipomo — 1033 — Rancho NipomoCaptain William G. Dana Rancho
Rancho Nipomo, almost 38,000 acres in size, was granted to Boston sea captain William Goodwin Dana, in 1837. The rancho for many years was the first stopping place on El Camino Real south of Mission San Luis Obispo. From 1839 until Dana's death in . . . — Map (db m102642) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Oceano — Dr. Rudolf W. Gerber Memorial Park
The Dr. Rudolf W. Gerber Memorial Park Known as “Oceano’s Country Doctor” from 1930 through the 1960’s, Dr. Gerber was an important source of Dunite and town history. The Dunites who lived in Oceano’s sand dunes were well-known by . . . — Map (db m103008) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Oceano — Oceano Depot
Oceano Depot 1904 This Southern Pacific Railroad Station was the center of most of the commercial and transportation activities in South San Luis Obispo county from 1904 until the 1950’s. Retired from service in 1975. It has been moved 400 yards . . . — Map (db m103007) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Oceano — Oceano Honor Roll
Honor Roll To The Eternal Memory Of Our Boys From Oceano California Who Gave Their Lives In World War II 1941 ★ 1945 Robert D. Altamarino · Lewis L. Brandt · George H. Crozier, Jr. · William F. Everding · Donald E. Giffith · Charles . . . — Map (db m103006) WM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Oceano — Southern Pacific Railroad Depot
Southern Pacific Railroad Depot Oceano, California 1896 - 1973 The Oceano Depot served as a focal point for transportation, tourism & real estate promotion in the South County from 1896 until the 1950's. The existing structure, a "Combination . . . — Map (db m103009) HM
California (San Mateo County), Half Moon Bay — Zaballa House
After gold was discovered, the thousands who came to California began to build cities and towns. Today's Half Moon Bay grew upon the Mexican land grant awarded to Mexican soldier Candelario Miramontes. In 1853 Estanislao Zaballa came from Spain . . . — Map (db m102405) HM
California (Sonoma County), Cloverdale — Cloverdale Reveille
The "Cloverdale Reveille" is the oldest weekly newspaper continuously published under the same name in the state of California. Founded in the 1870s, and surviving the ups and downs of frontier journalism, the "Cloverdale Reveille" was adjudicated . . . — Map (db m102479) HM
California (Sonoma County), Cloverdale — Isaac E. Shaw Building
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Palces by the United States Department of the Interior c. 1880 reg. 90002155 — Map (db m102480) HM
California (Sonoma County), Cloverdale — CHL 621 — Italian Swiss Colony
Here in 1881 Italian Swiss immigrants established an agricultural colony. Choice wines, produced from grape plantings from the old world, soon brought wide acclaim. By 1905, ten gold medals were awarded these wines at international competitions. — Map (db m102481) HM
California (Sonoma County), Coverdale — CHL 981 — Icaria-Speranza Utopian Colony
Icaria-Speranza was a utopian community based on the writings of French philosopher Etienne Cabet. In 1881, at Cloverdale, French immigrant families led by the Dehay and Leroux families began their social experiment in cooperative living based on . . . — Map (db m102483) HM
California (Sonoma County), Duncans Mills — Duncans Mills Depot MuseumHistorical Local Wooden Railroad Cars
Petaluma & Santa Rosa Railroad Company wooden box cars nos. 100 and 102 (original numbers 66 and 68) were built in the P.&S.R. Petaluma shops in May 1910/ Salvaged at Cotati and restored by Duncans Mills Trading Co. July to Nov. 1982. North . . . — Map (db m102508) HM
California (Sonoma County), Eldridge — "The Main Building"Sonoma Development Center
"The Main Building" was constructed in 1908 to replace the administration wing that had been severely damaged in the 1906 earthquake. The building served as the main administration building from 1908 to 1957. It was used as the professional . . . — Map (db m102558) HM
California (Sonoma County), Forestville — CHL 835 — First Power Commercial Sawmill
In 1834, Mariano G. Vallejo's brother-in-law, John B.R. Cooper, constructed California's first known power-operated commercial sawmill. In addition to sawing redwood lumber, the mill and settlement served as a barrier to Russian encroachment from . . . — Map (db m102484) HM
California (Sonoma County), Glen Ellen — "We live in a beautiful part of the country."
"Any time you happen up in this part of the country, look us up. We have blankets, grub, and a latchstring alway out." -- Jack London Jack and Charmian London lived in the Cottage from 1911 to 1916. They often greeted their guests on the . . . — Map (db m102553) HM
California (Sonoma County), Glen Ellen — Eucalyptus - The Cash Crop that Failed
Eucalyptus were introduced in California before Jack London's time. Pioneer families needed wood, which was in short supply, for many items such as furniture and utility poles. Planting eucalyptus, a fast-growing import from Australia, was believed . . . — Map (db m102537) HM
California (Sonoma County), Glen Ellen — Horse Power and ManureWere Put to Work on London's Beauty Ranch
In the early 1900's, horses were still the main source of power on farms and ranches. They were used for riding, pulling cars, wagons and other heavy farm equipment. Though he owned about 50 horses, Jack London most prized the beautiful and . . . — Map (db m102556) HM
California (Sonoma County), Glen Ellen — Jack and Charmian London Entertained Here
Originally built sometime between 1870-1880, this historic winery building was remodled by the Londons into a kitchen, living room and dining area. It was the center of activities for their many frequent guests. "When we entered the large, . . . — Map (db m102554) HM
California (Sonoma County), Glen Ellen — Jack London experimentedby growing spineless cactus for livestock feed
Jack London saw fine, fat cattle in Hawaii living well on spined cactus and wanted to duplicate the success of Hawaiian ranchers. He planted this field with Spineless Prickly Pear Cactus, Opuntia avalon, developed by renowned horticulturalist . . . — Map (db m102536) HM
California (Sonoma County), Glen Ellen — Jack London Had A Dream
To establish a model farm on the land that he loved and desired to preserve for future generations. Eliza London Shepard, Jack's step-sister and Ranch Superintendent, worked with Charmian for many years after Jack's death maintaining the . . . — Map (db m102535) HM
California (Sonoma County), Glen Ellen — Jack London's Terraces Shaped the Land for Preservation
London's workers graded the steeper fields before you into stair-steps to prevent erosion. Traveling to Japan and Korea as a war correspondent in 1904, London had seen how well terracing worked. "What I never been able to understand was why they . . . — Map (db m102538) HM
California (Sonoma County), Glen Ellen — The Old WineryThe London's Many Guests and Workers Slept Here
The ruins before you are all that remains of Kohler and Frohling Winery's main building. Damaged by the 1906 earthquake, the structure was later converted by the London's into living quarters for their many workers and guests. Jack's stepsister, . . . — Map (db m102539) HM
California (Sonoma County), Guerneville — Korbel StationErected in 1876
This was the terminus of the "Fulton-Guerneville" branch of the Northwestern Pacific Railway which began operations on May, 29, 1872. The purpose of the railway was to replace the slow oxen team method of hauling timber and passengers to San . . . — Map (db m102507) HM
California (Sonoma County), Healdsburg — March/Heald Flour Mill
Millstone from pioneer flour and saw mill built by William March and Samuel Heald on Mill Creek in 1849. — Map (db m102492) HM
California (Sonoma County), Healdsurg — The Wohler Ranch -- 1856
In 1856, 1500 acres of the 17,892 acre Rancho El Molino were a "gift of love" to Mariano Vallejo's niece Anna Wohler. In the 1880's hops pioneer Raford Peterson purchased the land and built the "The House on the Hill," where his family lived for 100 . . . — Map (db m102495) HM
California (Sonoma County), Monte Rio — The Moscow Barn
This building originally located 1500 feet east of this location and housing livestock, was built by a pioneer family from this area in the early 1870's. Once part of the historic Bodega Rancho, this land was known as the Rancho Paridiso and later . . . — Map (db m102496) HM
California (Sonoma County), near Calistoga — CHL 915 — Petrified Forest
The Petrified Forest, dating from the Eocene Period, is the only known example of a petrified forest in California. Its size, scope and variety of petrification is unique in the world. Opalized wood, obsidian, quartz crystal, petrified coral and . . . — Map (db m102520) HM
California (Sonoma County), near Calistoga — To Commemorate..."Petrified Charlie"
To Commemorate ... The discovery of the petrified forest by "Petrified Charlie" in the year 1870. ... The meeting with Robert Louis Stevenson immortalized in the book, "Silverado Squatters." ... All this others whose lives were devoted to . . . — Map (db m102524) HM
California (Sonoma County), Santa Roasa — Luther Burbank's Garden
1881 - In This Garden - 1926 Luther Burbank wrought with living plants to bring the world greater fertility, wealth and beauty developing new varieties which produced better fruits and more beautiful flowers. — Map (db m102510) HM
California (Sonoma County), Santa Rosa — Comstock House RestorationDue to be Completed in 2012
The 1905 Comstock House is undergoing a restoration. This house was designed by local architect Brainerd Jones, who also created most of the buildings in Petaluma's historic core as well as the nearby Belvedere. Jones included may whimsical . . . — Map (db m102519) HM
California (Sonoma County), Santa Rosa — Santa Rosa Post Office and Federal Building
Completed in 1910 at 401 Fifth Street Designed by James Knox Taylor, FAIA Moved to this site in 1979 Preservation Architect, Dan Peterson, AIA Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United Staes Department of the . . . — Map (db m102518) HM
California (Sonoma County), Sebastopol — Sturgeons Mill
The California Gold Rush of 1849 and San Francisco's Earthquake of 1906 spurred expansion, rebuilding and extensive timber processing in California. Sturgeons Mill is a fine example of 1800's steam powered technology, providing lumber for early . . . — Map (db m102509) HM
California (Sonoma County), Sebastopol — Sturgeon's Mill
In 1913 Wade Sturgeon purchased 1850's sawmill equipment from the Korbel Brothers and operated the mill from 1914 through 1923 on Coleman Valley Road. It was then disassembled and moved seven miles inland by horse-drawn sleds and wagons to its . . . — Map (db m102497) HM
California (Sonoma County), Sonoma — 19 — Harazthy Villa
County Landmarks Commission County of Sonoma Harazthy Villa (sic) Historic Landmark No. 19 This is to certify that the above historic site has been officially designated as a County Landmark by the Sonoma County Board of . . . — Map (db m102579) HM
California (Sonoma County), Sonoma — In This Cemetery is Buried Capt. William Smith
Two plaques have been placed at this memorial. In This Cemetery is Buried Capt. William Smith Born in Virginia, November 14, 1768 Died in Sonoma, May 5 1846 Who served in the Virginia Navy during the American Revolution . . . — Map (db m102559) HM WM
California (Sonoma County), Sonoma — Sonoma Depot
On January 2, 1976 the original depot was destroyed by fire. With the united efforts of the City of Sonoma, Sonoma Valley Historical Society and hundreds of interested and dedicated citizens, sufficient funds were collected to reconstruct the . . . — Map (db m102578) HM
California (Sonoma County), Sonoma — The Sonoma Community Center
This historic 1916 landmark, now the Sonoma Community Center, was the original home of the Sonoma Grammar School. It was purchased by Dr. Carroll Andrews and donated to the people of Sonoma in 1952. The center is a non-profit run by a dedicated . . . — Map (db m102581) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Jamestown — The Humbug Mine
The Humbug Mine was situated on the east slope of Table Mountain near Jamestown. It was the richest mine of its kind in the Mother Lode. Producing more than $4,000,000 worth of gold in its heyday. Due to the geology of the mountain, the mine . . . — Map (db m102043) HM
California (Ventura County), Oxnard — "La Jenelle"
Buried beneath this beach is the 467–foot hull of the “La Jenelle”. The luxury liner was driven aground at this site during a coastal storm on April 13, 1970. The State Lands Commission coordinated a joint federal, state and . . . — Map (db m102962) HM
California (Ventura County), Port Hueneme — Olive
Olive TD-9 International Harvester Tractor with Bucyrus Erie Blade International Harvester (IH) began manufacturing tractors in 1909. From 1939 to 1959, IH produced the TD-9 tractor. IH built 59,800 of these models, which it produced at it’s . . . — Map (db m103004) HM WM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Burlington — Dawson Dawson-WatsonImpressionism in Connecticut
The Artist A charismatic Englishman with the unlikely name of Dawson Dawson-Watson came to Hartford in 1893, fresh from Giverny and its aura of Claude Monet, and set to work introducing the radical French art called Impressionism. He taught . . . — Map (db m102122) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Canton — Collinsville, Town of CantonCanton Springs Road Vicinity
Driving along Maple Avenue, circa 1915 Some early transportation at the corner of Maple Avenue & River Road, circa 1910 CNE Station on Canton Springs Road with cemetery in the background, circa 1900 Patrons of Cherry Park, off Lovely . . . — Map (db m102376) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Canton — Collinsville, Town of Canton
Corner of Route 44 and Lovely Street.
Route 44 began as the Indian’s Northwest Path. It became the Hartford to Albany Road during the French and Indian War in order to move troops and equipment. In 1984, it became the Albany Turnpike, a toll road. 1776 House was an old home . . . — Map (db m102423) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Barkhamsted — Austin Hawes Memorial CampgroundFarmington River: Wild & Scenic
In this Area in the Past..... The Austin Hawes Memorial Campground is located in an area once known as the “Greenwoods,” where until the late 1700’s large pine and hemlock trees grew along the Farmington River. From 1800 to 1942 . . . — Map (db m102111) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Barkhamsted — Barkhamsted Lighthouse VillageA Connecticut State Archaeological Preserve
Who Lived Here ? James Chaugham (a Native American who was, according to his granddaughter, a member of the Narragansett Tribe) and his wife, Molly (of European descent), lived in a village located here for fifty years, in what became Peoples . . . — Map (db m102323) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Barkhamsted — Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village CemeteryA Connecticut State Archaeological Preserve
You are now looking into the Lighthouse Village cemetery. The unmarked, upright field stones designate the final resting places of many who lived in the community, including the founding couple, James Chaugham, a Native American, and Molly . . . — Map (db m102325) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Barkhamsted — Camp White
To honor the men of Camp White Company 106 established 1934 Civilian Conservation Corps 1933-1942 created by President Franklin D. Roosevelt renewing the country’s natural resources and challenging the human spirit of . . . — Map (db m102082) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Riverton — RivertonFarmington River: Wild & Scenic
In this Area in the Past..... Since the 1820’s Riverton has been a vibrant part of the town of Barkhamsted. Riverton is located at the confluence of the Farmington and Still Rivers, which at one time provided the opportunity for water power . . . — Map (db m102107) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Arden — Grubb Family Burying Ground

In 1677, John Grubb (1652-1708) came from Stoke Climsland, Cornwall and settled on the Delaware River at "Grubb's Landing." He was one of the first Englishmen in Delaware.

John and his wife Francis raised nine children: Emanuel Grubb . . . — Map (db m102482) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — Mother Catherine Rosarii

First Superior 1951 - 1957 — Map (db m102512) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Captain John Evans

Sacred To the memory of My beloved Husband Capt. John Evans. Of 2nd Reg. Del. Vols. After having distinguished himself at the Battles of Gains Mills [sic], Savage Station, Peach Orchard, White Oak, Malvern Hill, Antietam, . . . — Map (db m102551) HM WM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware's Independence Hall

Built in 1732 as the statehouse for Pennsylvania's "Three Lower Counties on the Delaware," the New Castle Court House was the scene of a dramatic vote on June 15, 1776 when the colonial assembly declared independence from both Great Britain and . . . — Map (db m102546) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — George Read

Signer of the Declaration of Independence

We mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor Map (db m102598) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Mary Wansey

Here lie the remains of Mary Wansey Wife of George Wansey of Towanda, Bradford Co., Pa. She died at Sea Aug. 8th. 1842 on her return from Italy aged 37 years. — Map (db m102550) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Midshipman John Stockton, United States Navy

Wounded in Battle of Lake Ontario May 28th Died at Kingston Canada May 30th 1813 aged 26 years

[Also on monument] John Stockton Born 1755, Died Oct. 29, 1822 An Officer of the Revolution.

Thomas Stockton Born April . . . — Map (db m102608) WM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — New Castle and Frenchtown RailroadLinking the Delaware River to the Chesapeake Bay

New Castle has a long history as a national transportation link. In the 1820s a turnpike connected ships on the Delaware River with ships on the Chesapeake Bay. However, the turnpike was in poor condition. Progressive town leaders saw . . . — Map (db m102543) HM


885 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 685
Paid Advertisement