Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

240 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 40
 
Bastion of San Pedro Marker image, Click for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, January 21, 2017
Bastion of San Pedro Marker
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Bastion of San Pedro
Baluarte de San Pedro Este baluarte se construyó a finales del siglo XVII en el vértice oriente del hexágono que conformaba el recinto amurallado de Campeche. En 1824 sirvió para defender a la ciudad de los embates del gobierno de Mérida y en . . . — Map (db m103001) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — House of Pablo García y Montilla
Casa del Lic. Pablo García y Montilla Esta casa fue construida durante el siglo XIX. Aquí es donde nació el abogado y político Don Pablo García y Montilla el 27 de enero de 1824. En 1857, siendo Diputado Local propuso la separación del . . . — Map (db m102995) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Pedro Sainz de Baranda y Borreyro
En esta casa nacio el 13 de marzo de 1787 el ilustre marino campechano, Don Pedro Sainz de Baranda y Borreyro, consumador de la independencia nacional, a quien el pueblo y gobierno de Campeche rinden merecido homenaje y reconocimiento. Marzo 13 . . . — Map (db m102997) WM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Professor Septimio Perez Palacios
. . . — Map (db m102998) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — The House of the King’s Lieutenant
Casa de Teniente del Rey Esta casa es una de las tres que existen en Campeche y que sirvieron como vivienda del Teniente del Rey. Construida en el siglo XVII, sirvió como residencia oficial del noveno Teniente del Rey de Campeche, don Miguel . . . — Map (db m102999) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — Architecture
Arquitectura La arquitectura Puuc destaca por el avance tecnológico que comenzó a desarrollarse alrededor del 600 d.C. y que alcanzó su perfeccionamiento hacia el 770-950 d.C. El desarrollo en la técnica de los núcleos constructivos que se . . . — Map (db m102930) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — Quadrangle of the Birds
Cuadrángulo de los Pájaros Lo integran cuatro edificios de tipo palacio, cada uno de los cuales consta de varios recintos. En medio del patio se ve un altar de base cuadrada y una columna cilíndrica en el centro. La decoración de los edificios . . . — Map (db m102858) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — Quadrangle of the Nuns
Cuadrángulo de las Monjas Este conjunto arquitectónico se conforma por cuatro estructuras que desplantan sobre plataformas de diferentes niveles dispuestas alrededor de un gran patio. Cada fachada presenta una combinación de diseños cuyo . . . — Map (db m102817) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — Stelae Building
Edificio de Estelas En esta plataforma se localizaron 15 estelas, de éstas destaca la número 14, localizada en el museo del sitio. En la Estela 14 se representa la imagen del único gobernante de Uxmal que se ha identificado hasta ahora y quien . . . — Map (db m102959) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Ballgame
Fue una actividad ritual adivinatoria y de adquisición de prestigio social. Se jugaba con esferas macizas de caucho que los participantes golpeaban utilizando una vestimenta protectora especial. El objetivo era mantener la pelota en movimiento y, . . . — Map (db m102854) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Cemetery Group
El Grupo del Cementerio Los relieves de calaveras con huesos entrelacruzados y tocados presentes en cuatro pequeñas plataformas al norte del patio, dieron nombre al conjunto que data de 900-1000 d.C. Al poniente existen tres edificaciones sobre . . . — Map (db m102947) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Columns Building or the East Portico
Edificio de las Columnas o el Pórtico Oriente Se encuentra en el límite oriente del patio en el que se está el Juego de Pelota. Mide 30 m. de largo por 4 m. de ancho. Es muy semejante al Edificio Sur del Cuadrángulo de los Pájaros y al Templo . . . — Map (db m102857) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Governor's Palace
El Palacio del Gobernador Esta asentado sobre una plataforma de 8 a 12 m de altura, 187 m. de largo y 170 m. de ancho. La estructura mide 98 m. de frente por 12 m. de ancho; fue dividida en tres partes separadas por bóvedas transversales muy . . . — Map (db m102934) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Great Temple / Great Pyramid
Templo Mayor o Gran Pirámide Este monumento mide alrededor de 80 m. en su costado norte y aproximadamente 30 m. de altura. Su forma general es la de una pirámidecuadrangular truncada, de nueve cuerpos escalonados. La escalinata norte conduce a . . . — Map (db m102935) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Pigeon-House Cluster
El Grupo del Palomar El nombre palomar se aplicó por los calados de la crestería, que semeja un palomar. El conjunto está formado por un patio rectangular rodeado de edificios de tipo palacio, de los cuales sólo se conserva un sector del . . . — Map (db m102939) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Pillory Shrine
Adoratorio de la Picota Este adoratorio consiste en un basamento cuadrada en cuyo centro está enclavado un monolito con forma de cono truncado, que al parecer estuvo recubierto de estuco y sobre el aplanado se pintaron motivos ornamentales . . . — Map (db m102932) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Throne of the Jaguar
El Trono del Jaguar Consta de una pequeña plataforma de 4.85 m. por lado y 1.20 m. de altura a la que se accede mediante escaleras ubicadas en sus cuatro costados. En medio de la plataforma se colocó una escultura de un jaguar bicéfalo, que . . . — Map (db m102931) HM
Panama, Chiriquí (District of David), David — Former Home of General Francisco Morazán
G.ral Francisco Morazan Nació en Honduras 3 octubre 1792 Consagró su vida a la democracia y luchó por la unidad Centro Americana. Murió como martir en San José de Costa Rica 15 septiembre 1842 Marcador adicional La posteridad me hará . . . — Map (db m102791) HM WM
Alabama (Houston County), Dothan — First Missionary Baptist ChurchDothan, Alabama
(side 1)
In 1889, Georgia Baptists led by Reverend W. M. Carter organized the New Hope Baptist Church in the village of Poplar Head. Reverend Robert Nelson was called as the first pastor. In 1907, newly-elected trustees incorporated . . . — Map (db m102970) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — First United Methodist Church“Growing in Christ, Sharing God’s Love”
Front: The historic First United Methodist Church is the oldest continually meeting congregation in Decatur and the only downtown church still worshiping in its nineteenth century sanctuary. Circuit riders served local Methodists from . . . — Map (db m102816) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Rising Sun Lodge No. 29Ancient Free & Accepted Masons
Dr. Henry Rhodes, for whom Rhodes Ferry Landing was named, was Decatur's first Postmaster and one of the organizers of the Lodge (Nov. 22, 1826). Chartered in 1827, its first Worshipful Master was Colonel Francis Dancy, builder of the Dancy-Polk . . . — Map (db m102823) HM
Arizona, Tucson — Steward Observatory
Steward Observatory 90 inch Reflector University of Arizona Erected 1967 Board of Regents Jack Williams   Governor · George W. Chambers   President · Elwood W. Bradford · Sarah Folsom · Wesley P. Gross · Leon Levy · Norma Barr Rockfellow · . . . — Map (db m102921) HM
Arizona, Tucson — The McMath Solar Telescope
This drawing shows the interior of the McMath solar telescope. You are looking at only part of telescope which is above ground. The tunnel for the light beam and the observing rooms where the scientific work is done are buried under the mountain. . . . — Map (db m102919) HM
Arizona, Tucson — The Vacuum Telescope
The Vacuum Telescope The accompanying picture shows a cross section of the solar vacuum telescope. This facility, built in 1973, is used to study the evolution of sunspots and other solar magnetic fields. It is operated daily by the National Solar . . . — Map (db m102918) HM
Arizona, Tucson — The WIYN Observatory
The octagon-shaped building that you see in the distance is the enclosure for the telescope of the WIYN Observatory. Completed in 1994, WIYN is owned and operated by the University of Wisconsin, Indiana University, Yale University, and the . . . — Map (db m102920) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — 1st Lieutenant Ralph Ambrose O’Neill
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes 1st Lieutenant Ralph Ambrose O’Neill 1896 — 1980 Hailing from Nogales AZ, Ralph O’Neill served in the U.S. Army Air Service with the 147th Aero . . . — Map (db m102904) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — 3-Inch Mark 33 Deck Gun
The 3-Inch Mark 33 is a twin dual-purpose drive mount on a carriage base ring structure used with selective remote or local control. The Gun is primarily designed for defense against enemy aircraft and was installed on combat ships. Each gun is . . . — Map (db m102917) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Arizonan Tuskegee Airmen
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Arizonan Tuskegee Airmen 1940 — 1949 “Red Tails” The Tuskegee Airmen set the precedent African-Americans could excel in military . . . — Map (db m102913) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Arizonan Women Airforce Service Pilots – WASP
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Arizonan Women Airforce Service Pilots – WASP 1942 — 1944 “We live in the wind and sand … and our eyes are on the stars!” The . . . — Map (db m102898) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Barrett Tillman
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Barrett Tillman Barrett Tillman (born 1948) is an award-winning author who has made significant contributions to aviation history. As a teenaged private . . . — Map (db m102907) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — BGen. Joseph J. Foss
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes BGen. Joseph J. Foss 1915 — 2003 Medal of Honor Brigadier General Joseph J. Foss was awarded the Medal of Honor while flying with Marine Fighting . . . — Map (db m102912) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Captain Ted Elvans Lines (AAF)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Captain Ted Elvans Lines (AAF) 1921 — 2005 Born and raised in Arizona, Ted Lines joined the U.S. Army Air Forces after his graduation from Mesa Union . . . — Map (db m102908) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Colonel Bruce Perry Crandall U.S. Army (Ret.)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Colonel Bruce Perry Crandall U.S. Army (Ret.) 1933 — Colonel Bruce Crandall served two tours in Vietnam as a Army helicopter pilot, leading over 900 . . . — Map (db m102901) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Dr. S. Harry Robertson III
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Dr. S. Harry Robertson III 1934 — Father of Crashworthy Fuel Systems Dr. S. Harry Robertson, a life-long Arizonan, has made unique contributions to . . . — Map (db m102902) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — General Seth Jefferson McKee, USAF (Ret.)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes General Seth Jefferson McKee, USAF (Ret.) 1916 — During World War II, General Seth McKee commanded the 370th Fighter Group in Europe and achieved . . . — Map (db m102909) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Lt. Frank Luke, Jr.
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Lt. Frank Luke, Jr. 1897 — 1918 The Arizona Ballon Buster Lieutenant Frank Luke, Jr. became “The Arizona Balloon Buster” of WWI. Flying . . . — Map (db m102899) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Major Frederick E. Ferguson
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Major Frederick E. Ferguson 1939 — Medal of Honor Frederick E. Ferguson gradated from the US Army Warrant Officer flight program in 1957 and was . . . — Map (db m102900) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Major Gen Carl G. Schneider, USAF (Ret)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Major Gen Carl G. Schneider, USAF (Ret) Carl Schneider enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Force in 1946. He graduated from Williams AFB flying the P-51 Mustang. . . . — Map (db m102905) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — MGen Barry Morris Goldwater, USAFR
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes MGen Barry Morris Goldwater, USAFR 1909 — 1993 Barry Goldwater served in World War II with the U.S. Army Air Force as an instructor and Ferry Command . . . — Map (db m102903) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Rear Admiral Hugh Dennis Wisely (USN, ret)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Rear Admiral Hugh Dennis Wisely (USN, ret) Admiral Wisely entered the Naval Aviation Cadet Program in 1961. He flew 350 combat missions with VF-114 over . . . — Map (db m102906) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Rear Admiral Walter Lewis Chatham, USN (Ret)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Rear Admiral Walter Lewis Chatham, USN (Ret) 1934 — Naval Aviator Rear Admiral “Lew” Chatham, USN (Retired) has approximately 5,000 . . . — Map (db m102910) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Sergei I. Sikorsky
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Sergei I. Sikorsky 1925 — Rotorcraft Pioneer Mr. Sergei Sikorsky learned aviation from the ground up working with his father, Igor. He began . . . — Map (db m102911) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona
Dedicated to The Memory of All The Patriotic Men and Women Who Answered Their Country’s Call To Service George W. Bush President of The United States Anthony J. Principi Secretary U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Roger R. Rapp . . . — Map (db m102949) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Unidentified Veterans
. . . — Map (db m102948) WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Veterans Memorial CarillonNational Memorial Cemetery of Arizona
Amvets National Service Foundation In Partnership With The Unified Arizona Veterans And The Arizona Department Of Veterans Services Dedicate This Carillon As A Living Memorial To American Veterans Who Served Their Country Honorably For . . . — Map (db m102950) WM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Kitt Peak National Observatory
Kitt Peak National Observatory Founded 1958 The observatory’s objectives are to strengthen basic research and education in astronomy throughout the United States, its territories and possessions. The observatory is available to . . . — Map (db m102813) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 304
. . . — Map (db m102942) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 308
. . . — Map (db m102768) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Hot Springs: The Birthplace of Spring BaseballThese Hall of Fame Inductees trained here or had significant connections to Hot Springs
Left Side Hot Spring's reputation as a health an recreation resort attracting the rich and famous was certainly true in the late 1800's and well into the 20th century. The city had fine hotels, lively nightclubs, a beautiful mountain . . . — Map (db m102887) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Mel Ott
This Hall of Fame outfielder, tutored by "Mugsy" McGraw, played his entire career with the New York Giants, hitting 511 home runs. On his thirtieth birthday, March 2, 1939, in an intra-squad game here at Whittington Park, "Master Melvin" belted . . . — Map (db m102764) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Site of the Founding Convention Assemblies of God April 2-12, 1914
More than 300 persons met in the Grand Opera House, 200 Central Avenue, and formed The General Council of the Assemblies of God. From this beginning the Assemblies of God has grown to more than 66 million adherents in 252 countries, territories . . . — Map (db m102765) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Augustus Hill Garland
At about this site stood the law office of Augustus Hill Garland Member of House and Senate of the Confederate Congress He prepared and won the case of ex parte Garland in the U.S. Supreme Court, thus effecting the readmission . . . — Map (db m102759) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — First Site: Arkansas College of Medicine
. . . — Map (db m102763) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Druids Hall
Originally called Loustaunau Hall, erected in 1895, where many organizations held meetings and socials for nearly 100 years. Now hall of Novato Grove Druids No. 113 — Map (db m102572) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — GPY 140-08 — Novato Bank Building826-828 Grant Avenue Novato, California
The Novato Bank (828 Grant Avenue) was built in 1913 by property owner, Frank Silva. The bank served ranchers, merchants, home builders, and the Novato area. The adjoining section of the building (826 Grant Avenue)first served as a drugstore when . . . — Map (db m102561) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — William A. Richardson
Born London 1797. Died Sausalito, California 1856. First Captain of the Port of San Francisco, builder of the first structure on the first street, Calle de la Fundacion, Yerba Buena (now Grant Ave., San Francisco) June 25, 1835. Founder also of . . . — Map (db m102775) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Battery AlexanderRaining fire from the sky
Battery Alexander, fully armed by 1906, mounted eight 12-inch mortars designed to fire shells in a high arc - up and then down onto the decks of enemy battleships. Low-trajectory gunfire from nearby batteries, aimed close to the enemy's waterline, . . . — Map (db m102819) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Battery Construction No. 129Last of the big gun emplacements
Never named because it was never finished, this battery was designed for the biggest, most powerful guns ever used by the United States military - 16-inch caliber weapons that fired 2,100-pound shells and could hit ships 26 miles out to sea. . . . — Map (db m102778) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Battery Mendell
Battery Mendell's mission was to keep enemy warships farther from San Francisco's harbor than any of the earlier coastal defences were equipped to do. Built in 1905, the battery was positioned as far west on the headlands as possible and armed with . . . — Map (db m102829) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Cold War Legacy: Missiles to Marine MammalsMarin Headlands Golden Gate National Park
The Marine Mammal Center is built on the site of the former Nike Missile Launch Area, SF 87L. In the 1950s, the army constructed two batteries in the Marin Headlands equipped with surface-to-are missiles, one near Fort Cronkhite and a second across . . . — Map (db m102832) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Construction 129
Despite its imposing appearance, Construction 129 was never used - or even completed. It was to have been armed with 2 guns having massive, 16" diameter barrels. Each weapon weighed almost 1,000,000 pounds and could accurately fire a 2,100 pound . . . — Map (db m102784) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Mortars to MissilesMilitary power at the Golden Gate
For the first three-quarters of the 20th century, the Marin Headlands were fortified with weapons that evolved from cannon to nuclear warheads. The guns became more and more powerful, able to hit warships miles out to sea. Antiaircraft guns appeared . . . — Map (db m102828) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Nike Missile Site SF88
By 1945, the age of aerial warfare had fully arrived and the U.S. Army sought a weapon that could intercept enemy aircraft. In 1951, after years of research and development, a supersonic missile controlled by ground-based electronic equipment was . . . — Map (db m102818) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Strengthening an IconGolden Gate Bridge Seismic Retrofit
The Golden Gate Bridge, completed in 1937, is a monument of the last century, and could be damaged by a strong earthquake. Seismic retrofit construction is underway to transform the international icon into a strong and flexible structure that can . . . — Map (db m102776) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — The Golden GateA narrow three-mile channel
Providing a narrow entrance to the west coast's most defensible harbor, the strategic value of the Golden Gate is readily apparent. Between 1776 and 1846, Spanish, then Mexican, guns defended the harbor entrance. Starting in 1846, American soldiers . . . — Map (db m102777) HM
California, San Francisco — Bernard Maybeck (1862-1957)American Master
Walk through the grounds of the Palace of Fine Arts and notice how vistas change before your eyes. As vegetation frames and softens the lines of the architecture, the architecture in turn becomes a picture frame, highlighting views of the lush . . . — Map (db m102290) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Nipomo — 1033 — Rancho NipomoCaptain William G. Dana Rancho
Rancho Nipomo, almost 38,000 acres in size, was granted to Boston sea captain William Goodwin Dana, in 1837. The rancho for many years was the first stopping place on El Camino Real south of Mission San Luis Obispo. From 1839 until Dana's death in . . . — Map (db m102642) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Oceano — Dr. Rudolf W. Gerber Memorial Park
The Dr. Rudolf W. Gerber Memorial Park Known as “Oceano’s Country Doctor” from 1930 through the 1960’s, Dr. Gerber was an important source of Dunite and town history. The Dunites who lived in Oceano’s sand dunes were well-known by . . . — Map (db m103008) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Oceano — Oceano Depot
Oceano Depot 1904 This Southern Pacific Railroad Station was the center of most of the commercial and transportation activities in South San Luis Obispo county from 1904 until the 1950’s. Retired from service in 1975. It has been moved 400 yards . . . — Map (db m103007) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Oceano — Oceano Honor Roll
Honor Roll To The Eternal Memory Of Our Boys From Oceano California Who Gave Their Lives In World War II 1941 ★ 1945 Robert D. Altamarino · Lewis L. Brandt · George H. Crozier, Jr. · William F. Everding · Donald E. Giffith · Charles . . . — Map (db m103006) WM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Oceano — Southern Pacific Railroad Depot
Southern Pacific Railroad Depot Oceano, California 1896 - 1973 The Oceano Depot served as a focal point for transportation, tourism & real estate promotion in the South County from 1896 until the 1950's. The existing structure, a "Combination . . . — Map (db m103009) HM
California (Ventura County), Oxnard — "La Jenelle"
Buried beneath this beach is the 467–foot hull of the “La Jenelle”. The luxury liner was driven aground at this site during a coastal storm on April 13, 1970. The State Lands Commission coordinated a joint federal, state and . . . — Map (db m102962) HM
California (Ventura County), Port Hueneme — Olive
Olive TD-9 International Harvester Tractor with Bucyrus Erie Blade International Harvester (IH) began manufacturing tractors in 1909. From 1939 to 1959, IH produced the TD-9 tractor. IH built 59,800 of these models, which it produced at it’s . . . — Map (db m103004) HM WM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne Beach — F-641 — Smith Family Homestead
Under the United States Government Homestead Act of 1862, brothers Robert Toombs Smith and Charley Smith laid claim to 158.79 acres on Mullet Creek in 1887. They discovered the property while searching the Indian River Lagoon shoreline by sailboat . . . — Map (db m102830) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Naval Air Station Pensacola — The National Flight Academy
“A dramatic multi-day immersive experience in the Magic of Flight” The National Flight Academy is a series of immersive aviation-inspired learning programs using serious games to engage students in Science, Technology, Engineering and . . . — Map (db m102792) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Palma Sola Community Church
(Side 1) This historic non-denominational church, first known as "The Church in the Wildwood" because of location, was established and constructed in 1886 when Asa Pillsbury, Sr. donated land for a church, cemetery and school to trustees . . . — Map (db m102973) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Cortez — The Village of Cortez
(Side 1) Origin of the name CORTEZ cannot be proved but is thought to have begun with the inhabitants of a Spanish fishing "rancho" in this vicinity. The area was known as "Hunter's Point" to local residents until the 1880's. This is borne . . . — Map (db m102971) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Mount Pleasant Baptist Church701 West South Street
This African American church was organized in 1919 and met in various locations, including a bush arbor constructed of poles covered with branches. In 1921, land was purchased at this corner for a permanent structure, which was completed in 1924. . . . — Map (db m102978) HM
Florida (Osceola County), St. Cloud — F-903 — Veterans Memorial Library
(Side 1) The Ladies Improvement Club of St. Cloud organized in 1910 for the betterment of the community through civic projects and the advocacy of literacy. The club established a small area in the Sugar Belt Railway depot for books and . . . — Map (db m102976) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-526 — Black Catholic Heritage
Side 1 This block of property owned by the Catholic Church contains three historic buildings that embody an important part of African American heritage of St. Augustine. It was part of Yallaha orange grove plantation before the Civil War . . . — Map (db m102735) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-353 — Lincolnville Historic District
Once the site of Indian Villages, colonial plantations and orange groves, Lincolnville began as a settlement of emancipated slaves in 1866. African-Americans, who trace their origins to the City´s 16th century founding, played an integral role in . . . — Map (db m102736) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-373 — Villa Zorayda(Zorayda Castle)
The Villa Zorayda was constructed in 1883 as the winter home of Franklin Smith, a Boston millionaire who was so impressed by the magnificence of the Alhambra Palace which he saw during a visit to Granada, Spain, that he decided to build his house as . . . — Map (db m102737) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 60-13 — The March to the Sea
On November 15, 1864, during the Civil War, U.S. forces under Gen. William T. Sherman set out from Atlanta on the March to the Sea, a military campaign designed to destroy the Confederacy's ability to wage war and break the will of its people to . . . — Map (db m102926) HM
Kansas (Republic County), Republic — US Flag Raised over Pawnee Republic
Erected by the State of Kansas 1901 To mark the site of the Pawnee Republic where Lieut. Zebulon M. Pike caused the Spanish flag to be lowered and the flag of the United States to be raised September 29, 1806 — Map (db m102928) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Annunciation Church
In 1830 the Pontchartrain rail road was built along Elysian Fields to the lake, with half of its route through lands owned by Bernard Marigny. To accommodate settlers, Marigny and his cousin, Nicholas d'Estrehan subdivided the backlands of Faubourg . . . — Map (db m102848) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Carmelite Chapel of St. Joseph and St. Teresa and the Carmelite Monastery
The cornerstone of the monastery was laid in April, 1891, James Freret, Architect, Fred Reusch, Jr, Builder. Founded by the Discalced Carmelite nuns, a contemplative and strictly cloistered order of nuns restored to the primitive rule established . . . — Map (db m102850) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Carmelite Monastery
James Freret, Architect Ferdinand Reusch, Jr., Builder Dedicated on November 12, 1895, as the Chapel of Reparations and Monastery of the Discalced Nuns. The cornerstone was laid in 1891 by Archbishop Francis Janssens. The Carmelites, a Catholic . . . — Map (db m102860) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Gen. Albert PikeConfederate States Army — 1809-1891 Soldier - Philosopher - Scholar
Grand Commander, Supreme Council 33° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, southern jurisdiction. U.S.A., 1859 - 1891. Erected April 27, 1957 by the Grand Consistory of LA., 32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry to . . . — Map (db m102982) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — St. Aloysius College1869-1969
Founded in 1869 by the Brothers of the Sacred Heart on Chartres Street in the Vieux Carré, St. Aloysius College moved in 1892 to a building on Rampart Street, then in 1925 to a new building at the corner of Esplanade Avenue and Rampart Street, St. . . . — Map (db m102859) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Historic Lower Ninth Ward / Industrial Canal Flood Wall
The Historic Lower Ninth Ward Side A On August 29, 2005, at about 7:45a.m., the Industrial Canal flood wall broke with an explosive sound, heard by many residents near North Johnson Street and Jourdan Avenue. At that time, the Lower Ninth . . . — Map (db m102875) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Hammond — Friendship Circle
Friendship Circle, designed by Edward Avery McIlhenny, Tabasco entrepreneur and naturalist, serves as the focus of a landscape plan created for the Art Deco buildings that transformed a family farm into a modern college campus between 1939 nd 1941. . . . — Map (db m102968) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Hammond — Site of 1st Classroom Bldg.
In 1927 Hammond Jr. College bought the 15 acre Hunter Leake Estate at the N. end of Pine. An enlarged servants' bldg. provided classrooms, a library, and labs. In 1928 H. J. C. became Southeastern Louisiana College. — Map (db m102965) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Acquiring Fame: Mount Vernon CelebritiesMount Vernon Cultural Walk
In 1903, the Belvedere Hotel became the crowning architectural achievement in the neighborhood. Its signature thirty-five-foot mansard roof has become the symbol for upper Mount Vernon. In the late 1970s, the building was rehabilitated into . . . — Map (db m102915) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Breaking Boundaries: Reverence, Renovation, and Rock and RollMount Vernon Cultural Walk
In the early 1950s, the 900 block of Tyson Street made national news for its dramatic transformation from a dilapidated street of falling down houses to a street framed by quaint pastel-colored homes. In 1948, City inspectors had condemned Tyson . . . — Map (db m102864) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Brewer’s Park
On this site in 1787, Thomas Peters built the original brewery that he sold to Edward Johnson (Mayor of Baltimore, 1808-1814, 1822). It was during Johnson’s ownership of the brewery, and while serving as Mayor of the City of Baltimore in 1813, that . . . — Map (db m102943) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Building High Society: Captains of CommerceMount Vernon Cultural Walk
The upper part of the Mount Vernon neighborhood was once part of Belvedere, the country estate of Colonel John Eager Howard, a Revolutionary War hero, U.S. Senator, and Maryland Governor. His magnificent late 18th-century mansion stood on the . . . — Map (db m102868) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Church Home and Hospital1857-1982
Church Home and Hospital and the Church Home and Hospital Nursing Alumnae Association celebrates 142 years of compassionate care to the infirmed, injured and aged.

“We won’t forget the ensign on the hill” Dedicated April 30, 2000. — Map (db m102835) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — CisternCarroll Mansion
Archaeologists discovered a buried cistern two and one half feet below you. A cistern is a receptacle for holding water, especially rainwater.

In eighteenth-century Baltimore, water came from wells, creeks, and natural springs, which were . . . — Map (db m102929) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Discover Little Italy: A Taste of the PastHeritage Walk
Baltimore’s vibrant and diverse neighborhoods evolved to accommodate a constant influx of newcomers searching for opportunity. Between 1830 and 1917, more than two million immigrants landed in Baltimore, which was second only to New York as a port . . . — Map (db m102944) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Douglas L. FrostVice President Development 1966-2006
Transforming Mount Royal Station captured his imagination. Fostering art, artists, and community captured his creativity. Strengthening the College has become his legacy.

Frost Plaza Names in gratitude for his contributions to shaping . . . — Map (db m102743) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Educating Baltimore: Music, History and AcademiaMount Vernon Cultural Walk
Across Howard Street, Johns Hopkins University opened in 1876 as America’s first research university. The University attracted and trained some of the best minds of the 19th century: philosophers Josiah Royce and Charles Sanders Pierce; physician . . . — Map (db m102805) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Entering the Automobile Age: The Horseless RevolutionMount Vernon Cultural Walk
The development of the nation depended on transportation, and Baltimore led America in building the first long-distance railroad, one of the earliest commuter rail systems, and one of the first electric streetcar systems. Baltimore also contributed . . . — Map (db m102865) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Eubie Blake National Jazz Institute and Cultural Center
The Eubie Blake National Jazz Institute and Cultural Center, founded in 1981 was a rich history which started over 25 years ago when the organization began as a Model Cities Arts Program. The estate of James Hubert Blake, better known as . . . — Map (db m102810) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Goucher Hall
The Woman’s College of Baltimore was founded in 1884, when Reverend John Franklin Goucher, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his wife, Mary C. Fisher, offered land and $150,000 to establish a college for women.

The first class of . . . — Map (db m102849) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Remington-Wyman World War II Memorial
To the men and women of this community whose duty and devotion with their services in World War II were not given in vain. — Map (db m102837) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Small Brick BuildingCarroll Mansion
A two-story wing possibly a kitchen, extended off the back of the mansion. Activities in an early nineteenth-century kitchen and kitchen yard included cooking for the entire household, drawing water, heating water for laundry and personal use, . . . — Map (db m102925) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — St. Frances Academy
More than thirty years before the Civil War, when blacks and women were generally viewed as property, Father James Joubert and Elizabeth Lange founded the Oblate Sisters of Providence—a religious order of black women dedicated to educating the . . . — Map (db m102852) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Lyric Theatre
Opened in 1894 and originally called The Music Hall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior January 23, 1986. — Map (db m102739) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Maryland Line Monument
To all patriots of Maryland who during the Revolutionary War aided on land or at sea in gaining the independence of this state and of these United States and to the Maryland Line the Bayonets of the Continental Army.

The other two panels . . . — Map (db m102738) WM

Maryland, Baltimore — World War I Peace Cross Memorial
Thanks be to God which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ-November 11, 1918. — Map (db m102836) WM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Dundalk — Squeeze TacticStar Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
After an impressive victory at Washington, the British targeted Baltimore, the third largest city in the nation with a population of more than 40,000. Troops landed at North Point September 12, 1814, and began marching north to attack the city from . . . — Map (db m102886) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Higgins HouseArresting Civilians
Early Sunday morning, June 28, 1863, Confederate cavalrymen arrived at merchant John Higgins' house to arrest him, but he had already left for Christ Episcopal Church. Instead they captured Eblen, a 17 year-old Union soldier recuperating here. When . . . — Map (db m102790) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Lucy Simpson's Rockville Institute
1887 Original home of Lucy Simpson's Rockville Institute a private school known as the “Little Red Hut” ——— • ——— Owned by the Darby family from 1914 - 1979. Restored and renovated . . . — Map (db m102789) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Rockville Town Square
When Montgomery County was created in 1776, the village today known as Rockville was selected as the seat of local government. Since that time, five court houses have been built in Courthouse Square. § Postal Service began in Montgomery . . . — Map (db m102844) HM
Michigan (Ingham Counnty), East Lansing — S649 — Michigan State Medical Society / Michigan State Medical Society Headquarters
Michigan State Medical Society In 1819 five physicians organized the Michigan Medical Society in Detroit. Its purpose was "to examine medical students and certify those so deemed as doctors." The group reorganized in Ann Arbor as the . . . — Map (db m102984) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — L1894 — Collegeville / East Lansing
Collegeville In 1849 when D. Robert Burcham settled in this vicinity, Chippewa and Ottawa Indians lived along the Red Cedar River. Burcham journeyed here on the Indian trail that became the Grand River Road, also known as the Lansing-Howell . . . — Map (db m102977) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — L2094 — Masonic Temple
Local Masons organized in 1915 and promptly hired Lansing architect, Samuel D. Butterworth, a fellow Mason, to design a meeting hall. Butterworth rejected the practice of designing Masonic halls as elaborate classical temples, and instead blended . . . — Map (db m102986) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — L1338 — Michigan Automobile Dealers Association
In 1920 the Michigan Automotive Trade Association was founded in Detroit. On May 19, 1921, the group was incorporated, with the following officers: G.S. Garber, President: H.H. Shuart Secretary; and Clark Graves, Treasurer. The association's purpose . . . — Map (db m102983) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — L1502 — Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin / St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Parish
Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin Affectionately known as Father Mac, the Reverend Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin (1904-1987) was associated with Lansing area Catholics for nearly 45 years. A native of Ubly, he was ordained in 1932. Father Mac . . . — Map (db m102974) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — 227 — Adrian College
Chartered on March 28, 1859, Adrian College traces its origins back to a Wesleyan Methodist theological institute founded at Leoni, Michigan in 1845. This institution later became Michigan Union College. Strongly antislavery in its sentiments, the . . . — Map (db m102933) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L2263 — Adrian Fire Department / Adrian Engine House No. 1
Adrian Fire Department Adrian founded its fire department in 1841. By 1851, it had 102 male volunteers, who served in two companies. They pulled hand pumpers and hose carts to fires, using water from city-built reservoirs. In 1867, the city . . . — Map (db m102861) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — S679 — Camp Williams / Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry
Camp Williams At the outbreak of the Civil War in early 1861, the trustees of Adrian College offered the use of campus buildings and grounds to the Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry for training. This became known as Camp Williams. The . . . — Map (db m102927) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Charles Miller Croswell
In memory of Charles Miller Croswell Born at Newburgh New York 31 October 1825 Died 13 December 1886 Secretary of the State Convention at Jackson where the Republican Party of Michigan was organized Mayor of Adrian State . . . — Map (db m102863) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Cooley Law OfficeMichigan Legal Milestones
Here on the south side of Maumee Street in 1848, Thomas M. Cooley, a giant of the Michigan Law, established his first law office. He was a partner in the firm of Beaman, Beecher and Cooley and then established a law firm with Charles M. Croswell, . . . — Map (db m102922) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L368 — County Courthouse
Lenawee County was first settled in 1824 at Tecumseh, which the Territorial Legislature subsequently made the county seat. Pioneers, mostly from upper New York State, then established Blissfield and Adrian, the later called Logan. The largest Indian . . . — Map (db m102761) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — HB12 — Governor Charles M. Croswell / Croswell House
Governor Charles M. Croswell Charles Miller Croswell (1825-1886) was born in New York. A lawyer and civic leader, he was the secretary of the Republican Party's founding convention in Jackson. He also drafted Michigan's act ratifying the . . . — Map (db m102862) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Laura Haviland1808 - 1898
Laura Haviland, affectionately known as Aunt Laura, is probably the best-known and most-admired person who ever lived in Lenawee County. The reason for this admiration and acclaim lies in Mrs. Haviland's life-long devotion to helping others and in . . . — Map (db m102884) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L1381 — Second Baptist Church
In 1866 Laura Smith Haviland, a former abolitionist, persuaded several African Americans in Washington, DC. to migrate to Adrian. Three years later the Reverend A. I. J. Jackson led the settlers in founding the Second Baptist Church. The . . . — Map (db m102762) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L887 — St. John's Lutheran Church
The Reverend William Hatterstaedt helped organize St. John's Lutheran Church in 1847. Until their first church was completed in 1849, the original congregation, fourteen German families, met in a church that belonged to the Episcopalians. Services . . . — Map (db m102923) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — The Cane Ceremony
The Cane Ceremony, a traditional part of the Adrian College Commencement, has a rich and colorful heritage. As depicted in this 1940's era drawing by Will Cairns, each Adrian College graduating class ties a ribbon in its class colors to the . . . — Map (db m102941) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Our Confederate Dead Soldiers' Monument
Front Love's tribute to a thousand Southern soldiers who sleep in our Confederate cemetery, who died in the war 1861—1865. Right Side List of Dead Rear List of . . . — Map (db m102936) WM
Mississippi (Itawamba County), Fulton — Underground Railroad Bicycle Route
Front The 2,006.5-mile Underground Railroad Bicycle Route (UGRR) was created by the nonprofit organization Adventure Cycling Association. From Mobile, Alabama, to Owen Sound, Ontario, the trail memorializes the Underground Railroad, a . . . — Map (db m102972) HM
Mississippi (Itawamba County), Mantachie — Fawn Grove School
Established in 1909, the Fawn Grove School served the Fawn Grove community. After a new school house was constructed here in 1926, the Fawn Grove School recorded its highest enrollment, 162 students, in 1931. The Fawn Grove School closed its doors . . . — Map (db m102975) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Buckner-Craig-Isom Cemetery
Buried here between 1837 and 1865 are early settlers of Lafayette Co. Among these is the grave of John J. Craig, purchaser of the Indian lands that are now Lafayette Co. and donor of the site of Oxford. — Map (db m102979) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Burns "Belfry" Church
Site of Oxford's first African American church, organized by former slaves in 1869-70. First called Sewell Chapel. In 1900, the church was renamed Burns Methodist Episcopal Church. The original wooden building was replaced in 1910 by the present . . . — Map (db m102880) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Freedmen Town
After the Civil War, many freedmen from Lafayette County moved into Oxford; settled in the area bounded by Jackson Avenue, Price Street, the railroad and 9th Street; bought land, built houses, schools and churches; and exercised the rights and . . . — Map (db m102881) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Jacob Thompson's "Home Place"
The mansion ca. 1853 located on this site was burned by Union troops in 1864. Two original outbuildings are included in the present house, built in 1869. Jacob Thompson (1810-1885), a native of North Carolina, moved to Pontotoc, Mississippi, in . . . — Map (db m102991) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — L. Q. C. Lamar House
Home of Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar from 1868 to 1888. Lamar was an educator at the University of Mississippi; a colonel, 19th Miss. Inf., CSA; a U.S. congressman; senator; Secretary of the Interior; and an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme . . . — Map (db m102883) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Lafayette County Confederate Monument
Front In Memory of The Patriotism of the Confederate Soldiers Of Lafayette County, Mississippi. ______ They Gave Their Lives In A Just and Holy Cause. Erected 1907 Left side (West) A . . . — Map (db m102994) WM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Lafayette County Courthouse
The original courthouse was burned in August 1864 by Union Troops led by Gen. A. J. Smith. Judge R. A. Hill secured Federal funds to construct the present courthouse which was completed and occupied in January 1872. — Map (db m102877) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Mississippi Central R.R. Campaign
On December 2, 1862, as the Confederates fell back to the Yalobusha River, Union Gen. U.S. Grant moved his headquarters from Waterford to Abbeville. On the 4th, he moved to Oxford, while his advance crossed the Yocona River. W.T. . . . — Map (db m102879) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Oxford
Chartered in 1836 on Chickasaw cession land, Oxford was named for the university town in England and became home to the University of Mississippi in 1848. During the Civil War, Generals Grant and Sherman met in Oxford (1862), and the Square and many . . . — Map (db m102878) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — 143 — Oxford & Lafayette County Blues
Front Lafayette County’s blues history has encompassed a wide range of activity by scholars, promoters, record companies, and musicians. The nightlife of Oxford has welcomed both local performers and national touring acts. The most . . . — Map (db m102876) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Rowan Oak
Built c. 1848. From 1930 to 1962 home of novelist William Faulkner, who named it for the rowan tree, symbol of security and peace. Now maintained as a literary landmark by the University of Mississippi. — Map (db m102988) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — William Faulkner
The creator of Yoknapatawpha County, whose stories about his people won him the Nobel Prize, is buried twenty steps east of this marker. — Map (db m102882) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), University — Barnard Observatory
Built 1857-59 by Chancellor F.A.P. Barnard, the Observatory housed the Physics and Astronomy Department until 1939 and was the home of chancellors until 1971. The West Wing, called McCain Hall, was used by the NROTC, 1947-89. The Observatory was . . . — Map (db m102769) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), University — Civil Rights MonumentJames Meredith
James H. Meredith, a Mississippi native of Kosciusko, stepped into the pages of history on October 1, 1962 when he opened the doors to higher education at the University of Mississippi and in the South. As a major figure in the . . . — Map (db m102888) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), University — Documenting the Blues
Front The University of Mississippi is internationally famous for its work in documenting and preserving African American blues culture. In 1983 the Center for the Study of Southern Culture acquired Living Blues magazine, which . . . — Map (db m102770) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), University — Lyceum — The Circle Historic District
Lyceum — The Circle Historic District has been designated a National Historic Landmark This district possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America . . . — Map (db m103003) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), University — Society Of Professional Journalists Historic Site in JournalismThe University of Mississippi
Agence France-Presse journalist Paul Guihard was one of more than 300 journalists who watched the chaos surrounding the admission of James Meredith to the University of Mississippi. He was murdered on campus near the student union around 9 P.M., . . . — Map (db m102889) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), University — To Our Confederate Dead1861-1865
Front To Our Confederate Dead 1861-1865, Left side They fell devoted, but undying; The very gale their names seem'd sighing: The waters murmur'd of their name; The woods were peopled . . . — Map (db m102996) WM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — Battle of Ackia
Near here, on May 26, 1736, French and Choctaw invaders under Bienville were soundly repulsed by Chickasaws defending the Ackia, Apeony, and Chukafalaya villages. Many French casualties occurred. — Map (db m102783) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — Carver School / Desegregation of Schools Across the South — Heritage Trails Enrichment Program
Carver School Named for Dr. George Washington Carver, Carver School was built in 1939 to serve the educational Tupelo's African-American children Carver, along with local churches, was the center of social activities for the . . . — Map (db m102833) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — In Commemoration of Hernando De Soto
In Commemoration of Hernando De Soto and his men who spent the winter of 1540 — 1541 in North East Mississippi prior to his discovery of the Mississippi River — Map (db m102786) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — Lee County Library — Elvis Presley Monument Plaques
At this site on February 13, 1948, 13-year-old Elvis, accompanied by his mother Gladys, applied for his first library card. Through the books he read from the Lee County Library, Elvis would vicariously travel to distant places and learn new things . . . — Map (db m102820) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — Mayhorn Grocery — Elvis Presley Monument Plaques
In 1947, Elvis lived at the North end of Green Street, not far from here. Mayhorn Grocery previously occupied this space, and Elvis would walk to the store and sit on the porch listening to the blues. It was also here that he heard the sounds of . . . — Map (db m102821) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — Native American SiteWoodland Period CA 1000 BC
. . . — Map (db m102785) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — Robins Field / High School Football During Segregation — Heritage Trails Enrichment Program
Robins Field Built in 1927, Robins Field was named for former Tupelo Mayor D.W. Robins and served as the Tupelo Schools' football field until 1991. On Friday nights, the all-white Tupelo High School Golden Wave football team played . . . — Map (db m102826) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — Sit-Ins Led to Civil Rights Act of 1964 / F.W. Woolworth
Sit-Ins Led to Civil Rights Act of 1964 During the 1960s, F. W. Woolworth Company operated lunch counters at its "five-and-dime stores" on a "local custom" basis - meaning racially segregated seating in the Southern United States. . . . — Map (db m102846) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — Spring Hill Missionary Baptist Church / A Strong Voice in the Civil Rights Struggle in Tupelo — Heritage Trails Enrichment Program
Spring Hill Missionary Baptist Church Established approximately during the 1850s, Spring Hill Missionary Baptist Church is the oldest African-American Church in Tupelo, The original sanctuary, still standing today, was completed . . . — Map (db m102827) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — The Battle of King's Creek / The Campaign to Take Vicksburg
The Battle of King's Creek The campaign to take Vicksburg and control of the Mississippi River had begun. On May 5, 1863, mounted infantry and cavalry units of the Federal Ninth Illinois, Tenth Missouri and Seventh Kansas, under . . . — Map (db m102851) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — The Dixie Bell Theater / The March of Discontent — Heritage Trails Enrichment Program
The Dixie Bell Theater The rights of African-Americans during Reconstruction were greatly increased, and passage of the Thirteenth, Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments to the U. S. Constitution and the Civil Rights Acts of 1875 . . . — Map (db m102834) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — The Green Street Business District / Social Hub — Heritage Trails Enrichment Program
The Green Street Business District The Green Street business district was the hub of the black community in the early part of the century, up to and beyond desegregation. The area from Barnes Street to Spring Street housed the . . . — Map (db m102831) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — The Iron Furnace / Front Street
The Iron Furnace Hundreds of Union prisoners were interned here during the summer of 1862. Treated reasonably and guarded lightly, few tried to escape in anticipation of being exchanged, as was common practice early in the war. . . . — Map (db m102840) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — The Outhouse
This is a replica of an outhouse that was typical in a poor, Southern neighborhood. Oftentimes, a single privy was shared by several residents. The original outhouse located behind the row of rental houses along Saltillo Road was also shared by . . . — Map (db m102842) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — The Tupelo Swamp / Plank Road
The Tupelo Swamp Military strategists agree that when two forces of equal size oppose one another, the defending force has the advantage. Tupelo's geography emphasized that point during the war. Surrounded north, east and south by . . . — Map (db m102841) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — Town Creek Tupelo Encampment / Camp Life in Tupelo
Town Creek Tupelo Encampment Throughout the Civil War, the Tupelo area was ideal for large numbers of troops to camp, train and recuperate from sickness, wounds and fatigue. There was an abundance of clean water and of billy land . . . — Map (db m102843) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — Tupelo Baptist Church / Kind Treatment for the Wounded — Heritage Trails Enrichment Program
Tupelo Baptist Church As often happened in the middle of Civil War conflict, partisan lines became blurred when the care of wounded soldiers was necessary. A field hospital created by Union troops to treat their soldiers wounded in . . . — Map (db m102838) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — Tupelo Campaign: Harrisburg July 14
The sun rose on July 14 with Union General Andrew J. Smith having stolen the advantage from Confederate Generals Forrest and Lee. The Union line occupied high ground, facing west and north The Confederate forces, with 7,500 men compared to Smith's . . . — Map (db m102773) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — Tupelo Campaign: Old Town Creek, July 15
Although General Smith and the Union troops had defeated the Confederates on July 14, according to Sherman's orders. Smith should have attacked Forrest and Lee in an attempt to destroy the Confederate cavalry. Examining his supplies . . . — Map (db m102779) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — Tupelo Campaign: Pontotoc Road, July 13
As Union general William T. Sherman started his Atlanta Campaign in the summer of 1864, he wanted to protect his vulnerable supply line by ensuring that Confederate cavalry, including General Nathan Bedford Forrest, did not attack it. In June, an . . . — Map (db m102780) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — Tupelo Hardware — Elvis Presley Monument Plaques
In 1946, Elvis' mother, Gladys brought him here to buy a bicycle. Once they arrived, a 22-caliber rifle caught Elvis' eye, and he asked his mother to buy it instead. She wasn't happy about purchasing a gun so they compromised on a guitar. Forest L. . . . — Map (db m102822) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Amory — Amory's Tribute to the Heroes of 1861—1865
Front Amory's Tribute to the Heroes of 1861—1865 Right Side List of Members Stonewall Camp #427, Amory, Monroe County, MS Rear To the women of the Confederacy whose pious ministrations to our . . . — Map (db m102891) WM
Mississippi (Oktibbeha County), Starkville — 146 — Oktibbeha County Blues
Front Oktibbeha County has produced several blues artists who achieved fame for their recordings and live performances in Chicago, California, or other areas. Blues Hall of Famer Big Joe Williams (c. 1903-1982), who waxed the classic . . . — Map (db m102869) HM
Mississippi (Panola County), Como — 71 — Mississippi Fred McDowell
Front Fred McDowell, a seminal figure in Mississippi hill country blues, was one of the most vibrant performers of the 1960s blues revival. McDowell (c. 1906-1972) was a sharecropper and local entertainer in 1959 when he made his first . . . — Map (db m102873) HM
Mississippi (Panola County), Como — 172 — Napolian Strickland
Front Napolian Strickland (1924-2001) was one of Mississippi's most gifted musicians in the fife and drum and country blues traditions. A lifelong resident of the Como-Senatobia area, Strickland excelled on the homemade cane fife and . . . — Map (db m102874) HM
Mississippi (Panola County), Como — 82 — Otha Turner
Front The African American fife and drum tradition in north Mississippi stretches back to the 1800s and is often noted for its similarities to African music. Its best known exponent, Otha (or Othar) Turner (c. 1908-2003), presided over . . . — Map (db m102872) HM
Mississippi (Pike County), Magnolia — Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865
During the Civil War, The Central House Hotel that was located near the railroad was converted to a hospital. When more than 200 soldiers died there from wounds or disease, they were buried here. Many of the men are unidentified. Civil War veterans . . . — Map (db m102961) HM
Mississippi (Pike County), Magnolia — Harper Baptist Seminary
Harper Baptist Seminary was organized here in 1941. The school's origin can be traced to Harper Baptist College, formerly located near Gloster in Amite County. Named in honor of Dr. Simon Harper, a former slave and community leader, the college was . . . — Map (db m102866) HM
Mississippi (Pontotoc County), Pontotoc — 155 — Pontotoc County Blues
Front Pontotoc County's wide-ranging musical legacy encompasses African American blues from Baby Face Leroy Foster, Lee Gates, R. C. Weatherall, and Terry "Harmonica" Bean as well as music by white artists who combined blues or R&B . . . — Map (db m102867) HM
Mississippi (Pontotoc County), Pontotoc — Pontotoc County Confederate Monument
Front C.S.A. Our Heroes 1861 — 1865 [Bottom two tiers of lower base contain names and units of those who served] Left C.S.A. [Long list of names down the entire shaft . . . — Map (db m103000) WM
Mississippi (Pontotoc County), Pontotoc — Pontotoc County Memorial Monument
Center panel Dedicated to the honor and memory of the men and women of Pontotoc County who served in the Armed Forces of the United States in World War I, World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. Honoring all who served -- . . . — Map (db m103002) WM
Mississippi (Tate County), Senatobia — 125 — Jessie Mae Hemphill
Front One of the few female performers of country blues, Jessie Mae Hemphill (c. 1923 – 2006) was a multi-instrumentalist who performed in local fife and drum bands before gaining international recognition in the 1980s as a . . . — Map (db m102871) HM
Mississippi (Tate County), Senatobia — 9 — O.B. McClinton
Front Country music singer and composer O. B. McClinton, born and raised here in Senatobia, found his first musical success as a songwriter for 1960s Memphis soul labels. When Stax-Volt founded the Enterprise imprint for release of his . . . — Map (db m102890) HM
Mississippi (Tate County), Senatobia — Tate County World War I MemorialFor God and Country
To the memory of Tate County Men who gave their lives to their country in the World War Whitten J. East Clarence Holloway L.W. Kitchens S.C. Liles Joe L. Powers Jasper C. Patrick Walter C. Poag George . . . — Map (db m103005) WM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Newington — The Oldest Town Forest in the United States
Established by the Town of Newington in 1710 The income from timber cutting through the centuries has financed and supplied materials for building The Old 1872 Town Hall, The Stone Schoolhouse, and other town projects. — Map (db m102636) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Delran — 12 — Bridgeboro Bridge
Originally a ferry site, a covered bridge was erected here in 1793. Rebuilt in 1838 and replaced with a concrete span in 1928. The current bridge was opened in 1986. — Map (db m102897) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Delran — 5 — Cambridge School
Built in 1918 as a four room schoolhouse for grades 1-7. Brick veneered in the late 1930's during a WPA project. Closed in 1995 and demolished. — Map (db m102895) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Delran — 7 — New Riverside Cemetery
In 1912, eight acres of land were made into a park-like cemetery. Unattended, it fell into disrepair. By 1971, the last remains were moved to Monument Cemetery in Edgewater Park. — Map (db m102894) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Delran — 11 — The Conrow House
The original section was built in 1733 by Darling Conrow. A larger section was added in 1751 when he married his wife Deliverance This home is the oldest structure in Delran Township. — Map (db m102593) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Delran — 13 — World War II Observation Tower
Erected by American Legion Post #146 in 1942. Located on the former Asa Austin Farm, volunteers observed and reported planes overhead and traffic on the Rancocas Creek. Removed at the end of war. — Map (db m102892) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Chaves County Court House
Chaves County Courthouse has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1985 — Map (db m102803) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Chaves County Gulf War Monument
Dedicated to The Men and Women of Chaves County, New Mexico Who Served Their Country During the Persian Gulf War 1990 — 1991 by Roswell Cares Support Group — Map (db m102806) WM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Chaves County Veterans Memorial
In Remembrance of The Veterans of All Wars and Military Actions Who Made The Supreme Sacri Fice With Grateful Appreciation from The Citizens of Chavez County Nov. 11, 1983 — Map (db m102807) WM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Chaves County Veterans War Memorial
Memorial Wall Dedicated To All Citizens Of Chaves County Who Served And Died Defending Our Freedom ( engraved on the stone wall ) World War I Pvt. Alter, Cecil W. · Baker, Ray A. · Bozarth, Lewis Hath · Pvt. Bradley, Floyd L. · Pvt. . . . — Map (db m102802) WM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Humble Beginnings
Roswell’s first building was erected near this spot. Built by James Patterson, the 15 by 15 foot trading post was a rest stop along the Goodnight Loving Cattle Trail. The trading post was later acquired by Van C. Smith who, around 1870, added onto . . . — Map (db m102893) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — N.M. 200th Coast Artillery AA Regt.
In Memoriam N.M. 200th Coast Artillery AA Regt. 8 Dec.1941 – First Into Battle W.W.II 15 Aug. 1945 – Liberated From Death Camps “Let Us Not Forget Their Faith In God and Country” Donated by V.F.W. Post 2575 . . . — Map (db m102804) WM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — New Mexico Navy Veterans Monument
Dedicated February 24, 1968 To the Men and Women Of New Mexico Who Serve With The United States Navy — Map (db m102808) WM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Roswell’s First General Store and Post Office
Roswell’s first general store and post office stood near this spot. The building was constructed by Van C. Smith in 1870 and hosted a somewhat famous postmaster, Ash Upton, who was a political player in the Lincoln County War and the ghost writer . . . — Map (db m102896) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — American Merchant Marine Monuments
In Memory Of The Men And Women Of The American Merchant Marine ----------------------- American Merchant Marine Veterans This ancient anchor is a tribute to Merchant Mariners the world over. Donated by Betty Wattam in memory of Joseph . . . — Map (db m102809) HM

240 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 40
Paid Advertisement