90 inch Reflector
University of Arizona
Board of Regents
Jack Williams Governor · George W. Chambers President · Elwood W. Bradford · Sarah Folsom · Wesley P. Gross · Leon Levy · Norma Barr Rockfellow · . . . — Map (db m102921) HM
This drawing shows the interior of the McMath solar telescope. You are looking at only part of telescope which is above ground. The tunnel for the light beam and the observing rooms where the scientific work is done are buried under the mountain. . . . — Map (db m102919) HM
The Vacuum Telescope
The accompanying picture shows a cross section of the solar vacuum telescope. This facility, built in 1973, is used to study the evolution of sunspots and other solar magnetic fields. It is operated daily by the National Solar . . . — Map (db m102918) HM
The octagon-shaped building that you see in the distance is the enclosure for the telescope of the WIYN Observatory. Completed in 1994, WIYN is owned and operated by the University of Wisconsin, Indiana University, Yale University, and the . . . — Map (db m102920) HM
Geologists call eroded landscapes such as the Painted Desert "badlands." Summer thunderstorms and winter snowmelt carve the shale and sandstone into mazes of sharp ridges, steep hillsides, and deep V-shaped gullies. Practically waterless, badlands . . . — Map (db m72923) HM
The colorful mesas, buttes, and badlands before you compose a natural work of art--the Painted Desert.
Wind and running water cut these features from the Chinle Formation deposited over 200 million years ago when this area was a vast inland . . . — Map (db m72925) HM
Once owned & often visited by film legend John Wayne, the ranch with the prominent white show barn came to fame in the 1940s as the Milky Way Hereford Ranch, owned by the Mars Candy Family. — Map (db m36611) HM
This stone chimney is all that remains of a one room country school house that served pioneer Amity pop. 119 from the early 1880's until closing in April 1930. The Amity Cemetery & Amity Ditch are the only other remains of this early Mormon . . . — Map (db m36614) HM
An early 1900s adobe home built by the son of Eagar's first Mormon Bishop. Crosby, a major sheep & cattle rancher, was a railroad contractor who in 1917 laid the track for the Santa Fe Railroad north of here. — Map (db m36626) HM
Below among the large cottonwood trees are the historic hdqtrs of Fred T. Colter's Cross Bar Ranch. Originally homesteaded in 1881 by Texan Micajah Phelps, Colter built the ranch into one of the largest cattle operations in Northeastern AZ. — Map (db m36609) HM
After the original frame school house burned in 1930, this building served Eagar's children for 53 years. Mothers prepared hot lunch across the street creating Eagar's own depression era "soup lines" at 5 cents a cup for the children. — Map (db m36628) HM
Completed in 1912 by J.P. LeSueur manager of the Eagar ACMI, this frame house with a skin of pressed metal wall sheathing is best known as home to one of the Colter Bros. important Round Valley Ranchers. — Map (db m36643) HM
Built in the early 1900s by one of Eagar's prominent civic, religious & business leaders, this barn was constructed with wooden pegs & retains remarkable architectural integrity. The 2-story brick farmhouse no longer stands. — Map (db m36640) HM
Built c.1892, this adobe structure once housed the Eagar School & later a bootlegger's still. Jepson purchased & enlarged the home in 1925 & moved his family from Alpine so his daughters could attend Round Valley High School. — Map (db m36627) HM
On July 24, 1900, the Peter P. Rencher family arrived from Texas in four wagons & set about building their place in Eagar. Completed in 1913, this 5 bedroom, red brick Colonial Revival home was the crown jewel of their labors. — Map (db m36618) HM
In 1878, this notorious outlaw gang clashed over dividing their loot. A heated gunfight occurred in the saddle of this hill and it is said that at least seven died. Here lie their last known remains. — Map (db m36607) HM
This handsome example of Colonial Revival architecture was home to the manager of Round Valley's ACMIs. His wife, the area's first registered nurse, boarded expectant mothers & teachers from the high school. — Map (db m36645) HM
In November of 1776 a party of Spanish explorers and Indian guides passed through this area on their way to the Zuni Mission in what is now New Mexico. Franciscan Fathers, Francisco Atanasio Dominquez and Silvestre Velez De Escalante, had embarked . . . — Map (db m36577) HM
December 29, 1863 Arizona's Territorial officials took the oath of office during a snowstorm. Governor John N. Goodwin and other officials arriving from the east by wagon train, took their oaths of office and raised the U.S. flag "to establish a . . . — Map (db m36334) HM
Built of adobe in 1901 with a cast iron front shipped from St. Louis, the ACMI was a branch of the Mormon Cooperative Store system for 17 yrs. It later served the community as a saloon, variety store & furniture emporium. — Map (db m36652) HM
Gregorio Baca bought this house from G. Becker in 1907 for his bride, Chona Ortega. It's walls are 16" thick adobe. The wealthy Bacas & Ortegas ran large herds of cattle & sheep on vast tracts of land in Concho, St. Johns & The R.V. area. — Map (db m36383) HM
Part of the Spanish migration from northern New Mexico to Round Valley, Faustin Baldonado & his son Pedro bought this adobe home w/1 foot thick walls in the 1890's. Originally a cantina, Pedro added rooms when he married in 1900. — Map (db m36382) HM
The oldest continuously operated Ford dealership west of the Mississippi began in the west building in 1910. A pathfinding auto trip blazed the first "ocean to ocean highway" through here. — Map (db m36379) HM
In 1899, 14 year old Bertha Wahl was murdered here by a shepherd. Just south of here was the original Becker Store. Beyond lie the graves of the Becker family. Due west stood Henry Springer's Mercantile. — Map (db m36647) HM
H.T. Brawley, teacher and principal of R.V.H.S. began construction on this house in approximately 1925. The unfinished shell sold to the M.J. Wiltbank Family in 1935. M.J. & son Clive completed the home. Through the years teachers, newlyweds & . . . — Map (db m36595) HM
Built c.1915 & originally called the Apache Theatre, this adobe movie house once showed silent flickers with a hand-cranked projector. Renamed the El Rio in 1937, Round Valley's first theatre is still operating with its original popcorn machine. — Map (db m36381) HM
Due south rises the 3rd tallest peak in AZ, revered by conservationist, Aldo Leopold Escudilla was home to Ike Clanton of OK Corral fame & Arizona's last grizzly bear. In fall, the north slope is golden with Aspen covering the 23,000 acre fire of . . . — Map (db m36592) HM
On Dec. 25, 1886, James Hale was gunned down here in front of the Brighton Saloon. His accused was never brought to trial. In 1894 this site, then called Hunter's Hall, held the first Presbyterian services in the Round Valley. — Map (db m36651) HM
This 10 foot high, 5 ton statue cast by St. Louis sculptor August Leimbach is one of 12 identical monuments to the bold spirit of the pioneers erected in 1928-29 along the National Old Trails Road from Maryland to California. — Map (db m36380) HM
Just west on the river, W.R Milligan built the first grist mill & sawmill in Round Valley, later a brick kiln was added. Subsequent owners included the Udall Bros. & J.P. Rothlisberger who built the barn just ahead. — Map (db m36597) HM
These log structures built by Thompson, a Danish convert to Mormonism, are Round Valley's oldest surviving buildings (1879). The cabin hosted the first Mormon services in Springerville. — Map (db m36385) HM
Begun as missions in the late 1800s, Community Presbyterian Church here, and St. Peter's, a block east, moved into these permanent homes built respectively of brick (1918) & adobe (1928). — Map (db m36384) HM
First cousin to famed "Texas John Slaughter", Peter Slaughter & his rough trailhands brought the first Texas cattle to the White Mtns. C.1881 & built his P Lazy S Ranch on the Black River. Pete is buried here with 3 sons & extended family. — Map (db m36593) HM
This bronze school bell summoned children until 1950. This 2 room adobe with high pitched roof & bell tower was added onto with brick, altering the entry & roof in 1927 & again in 1950. The school served the community 99 years. — Map (db m36653) HM
This park contains buildings restored by the White Mtn. Historical Society. They preserve early settler, Hispanic, & Native American cultures, along with farming, forestry and ranching heritage. — Map (db m36594) HM
Built during the great depression using native stone & W.P.A. labor, this twenty-bed facility finally opened in 1939 when a doctor agreed to come to Round Valley to finish, lease & run the hospital for 10 years. — Map (db m36649) HM
The old "Bowery" was the first place of worship used by the members of the Latter Day Saints Church who came to St. Johns in 1879-1880. The Assembly Hall, located on the northwest corner of the public square was erected in 1882. It was built of logs . . . — Map (db m36586) HM
The line separating the territories of New Mexico and Arizona was established as 32 degrees of longitude west of the Washington Meridian by Congressional Act of February 24, 1863, signed by President Abraham Lincoln.
The Washington Meridian . . . — Map (db m36625) HM
About the Navajo Code Talkers
During World War II the Japanese possessed the ability to break almost any American military code. Over 400 Navajos, with 29 being the original Navajo Code Talkers, stepped forward and developed the most . . . — Map (db m51537) HM
In Remembrance of Our Warriors
Who Made the Ultimate Sacrifice and/or
Missing in Action,
They will never be forgotten
and to us they will always be young in our thoughts.
Nelson Lewis Walter Nelson Willie A. Notah Edie . . . — Map (db m27911) HM
These doors and windows were used to build a jail on the Northwest corner of Huachuca & 5th Street during April – May 1938. Needing jail material, Benson obtained approval to remove cell doors & windows from the no longer used jail in . . . — Map (db m48508) HM
This land was deeded to the City of Benson as a cemetery by the Pacific Improvement Company, the California based land company of the Southern Pacific Railroad, in March 1929.
Burial plots were sold to residents by the City of Benson and the . . . — Map (db m48512) HM
Four miles southeast at
Apache peace treaty with Cochise
was ratified in 1872
Near Dragoon Springs on October 12, 1872, General O.O. Howard and Cochise, Chief of the Chiricahua Apache Indians, ratified a peace treaty . . . — Map (db m27877) HM
In the early 1900's the rough edges of Bisbee's mining camps could be found here in notorious Brewery Gulch with its dozens of saloons, gambling halls and crib houses. The street got its name from a common activity in Bisbee's early days, . . . — Map (db m28278) HM
The Calumet and Arizona Mining Company developed a new town site in this area in 1905 to ensure the continued success of its mining interests. Using the "City Beautiful" model, the new town site – Warren – provided affordable housing. In . . . — Map (db m48574) HM
The City of Bisbee honors by this memorial her warriors who died in defense of the principles of American Democracy against enemies of freedom in World War I, World War II, the Korean War and the War in Vietnam that their patriotic sacrifice will be . . . — Map (db m28279) WM
The extent of the power and influence of the copper mining industry in Bisbee's early history is evident here in the Copper Queen Plaza. The buildings were built by the Copper Queen Consolidated Mining Company, later to become Phelps Dodge . . . — Map (db m28276) HM
.......On this site in the year of 1877, Sgt. Jack Dunn,
with a detail of the Tenth U.S. Cavalry pursuing renegade Apaches, discovered rich out croppings of copper & silver ore. The discovery led to the staking of the first mining claim & the . . . — Map (db m48561) HM
Front of obelisk
Road Constructed by
Prison Labor 1913-14
Board of Control
Geo. W.P. Hunt Governor
C. Callaghan Auditor
U.R. Osburn Member
R.E. Sims Supt of Prison
Right side of obelisk . . . — Map (db m48552) HM
This building was the general office for the Bisbee operations of Phelps Dodge Corporation from 1895 to 1961.
In 1971 it was given to the City of Bisbee by Phelps Dodge and was designated as a National Historic Site by the National Park . . . — Map (db m28275) HM
This open pit mine is named
The Lavender Pit
In honor of
Harrison M. Lavender
1890 – 1952
Who as vice president and general manager of Phelps Dodge Corporation conceived and carried out this plan for making the . . . — Map (db m28281) HM
Originally constructed of wood in 1908, the Warren Ball Park is the oldest in the state of Arizona and stands as testimony to Bisbee's rich heritage. The Warren Company, a subsidiary of the Calumet & Arizona and Pittsburgh & Superior Mining . . . — Map (db m48573) HM
The Road Below
We started through Apache Pass, over awful roads, up hill and down. We had to tie the wagon wheels with ropes and then in some places, the men had to stand on the wheels to keep them from turning over. Every man who could . . . — Map (db m101004) HM
There are two markers on a single kiosk
Apache Pass is a low divide separating the massive Chiricahua Mountains from the Dos Cabezas Mountains. This landscape formed a rugged corridor through which people and goods were moved. The Pass . . . — Map (db m100810) HM
Pottery fragments found around Apache Spring suggest it was used by prehistoric Mogollon Indians before the Apache arrived. Journals of early Spanish explorers described Apache trails radiating from the spring. The Butterfield Trail was constructed . . . — Map (db m100823) HM
After the events on the afternoon of February 4th, Bascom ordered the command to move toward, and fortify, the stage station. According to Sergeant Daniel Robinson:
“Our wagons were placed end to end, forming a semicircle, covering . . . — Map (db m100815) HM
This massive adobe structure was among the earliest built at the new fort. By the mid-1880s, it had a shingled and pitched roof, attractive porches, kerosene lamps, and landscaping. The kitchen was behind the barracks; the mess hall adjacent.
. . . — Map (db m100998) HM
Palatable food during the fort's early days was a constant problem; the soil was poor quality, lacking nutrients, and other sources of fresh food were distant. Though neighboring ranches supplied some vegetables and meats, they were still a day's . . . — Map (db m100956) HM
[Side 1: In English :]
September 4-8, 1986, Arizonans marked the return of the Chiricahua Ex-Prisoners of War and their descendants in ceremonies that completed a spiritual circle. We remembered and reflected on the clash between . . . — Map (db m42513) HM
The fort's most elaborate structure, a two story, Victorian-style mansion, was built in 1884-1885 for about $4,000.00. An expensive home at that time! Among its thirteen rooms (originally designed as a duplex) were a drawing room, a sewing room with . . . — Map (db m101000) HM
To your right, a spur trail follows a military road 300 yards to the first Fort Bowie ruins.
On July 28, 1862, a 100-man detachment of the 5th California Volunteer Infantry began construction of the primitive fort, completing it two weeks . . . — Map (db m42004) HM
A Regional Legacy
Cochise. Geronimo. Though their reputations were fierce, the Chiricahua Apaches didn't stop explorers, prospectors, settlers, and merchants from Westward immigration. To establish a lifeline between the East and California, . . . — Map (db m37761) HM
Enlisted infantrymen found that privacy was not a feature of barracks life. Privates and corporals bunked together in the main room; sergeants occupied small adjoining rooms.
Each soldier stored his military gear and personal belongings on a . . . — Map (db m101002) HM
Mining activity in Apache Pass started when members of the California Volunteers discovered a, “...gold and quartz bearing ledge...” in 1864. The “Harris Lode” as it became to be known, was later developed by the Apache Pass . . . — Map (db m100811) HM
Established 1862 following the Battle of Apache Pass, largest conflict in Arizona Indian Wars. Massed Apaches under Cochise and Mangas Coloradas were routed by howitzers fired by California Volunteers attacked in the pass. Fort Bowie overlooked only . . . — Map (db m6994) HM
In March 1854, Lt. John Parke of the Topographical Engineer Corps led a survey party in search of an all-weather route for the transcontinental railroad. After a march of 55 waterless miles through Sulphur Springs Valley, the party entered Apache . . . — Map (db m100812) HM
The Post Cemetery predated the establishment of Fort Bowie, when soldiers of the California Column were interred here in 1862. The area was unfenced until 1878, when a four-foot adobe wall was erected to protect the graves from desecration by post . . . — Map (db m68858) HM
The equivalent of the modern army post exchange, the post trader offered for sale items not supplied by the army – toilet articles, sewing supplies, tobacco, medicinal cure-alls, fresh vegetables, canned fruits, and a wide variety of . . . — Map (db m101003) HM
This frame building with a shingled roof was constructed in 1883 to enlarge the storage space available to the quartermaster. The original adobe storehouse, built in 1868, is immediately to the south.
The post quartermaster and his staff . . . — Map (db m100954) HM
Two years after the 1872 peace agreement with Cochise, the great Apache chief died. Several hundred Chiricahuas were relocated on the San Carlos Indian Reservation. However, Geronimo and over a hundred of his followers escaped the roundup, to begin . . . — Map (db m100953) HM
On February 4, 1861, 2nd Lt. George Bascom, and his detachment of 54 men encamped two hundred yards east of here. Bascoms mission was to find Cochise, recover a kidnapped boy and return livestock assumed taken by the Chiricahua Apaches. . . . — Map (db m42008) HM
An advance guard of 96 California Volunteers, marching toward the San Simon River to establish a supply depot for the California Column, followed the Butterfield Road through Apache Pass. As they approached the abandoned stage station, Cochise and . . . — Map (db m100820) HM
In 1857, the government awarded John Butterfield a contract to carry mail by stagecoach between St. Louis and San Francisco. The 2,800-mile route was to be traversed within 25 days. A year later, as the stagecoaches prepared to roll, Butterfiled . . . — Map (db m100817) HM
The Story: U.S. Indian Agent Thomas Jeffords governed some 900 Chiricahua Apaches here in 1875-76, under the vigilance of the U.S. Army at Fort Bowie.
Cochise, Chiricahua chieftain and friend of Jeffords, died in 1874, leaving the band . . . — Map (db m100819) HM
The Apache Pass Stage Station was built of stone in July 1858. Within its 6-8 foot-high walls were a kitchen-dining room, sleeping rooms, a storage room for feed and weapons, and a mule corral with portholes in every stall. The stage stopped here . . . — Map (db m100814) HM
This valley owes its name to the two springs located one mile north of this monument. From 400 A.D. to 1450 A.D. Indigenous Indians farmed the region. Their bedrock mortar pits remain on the nearby hill. Later Chiricahua Apaches, Spaniards, . . . — Map (db m37768) HM
At this location on June 5, 1933, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, wife of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, dedicated Douglas International Airport as the first international airport in the United States.
Designed by J. P. Sexton as the first . . . — Map (db m28357) HM
Elizabeth W. Ames, Mayor
Hector M. Salinas, Ward 1
Richard A. Arzate, Ward 2
Ramon H. Jordan, Ward 3
Harry F. Ames , Ward 4
Margaret Shannon, Ward 5
Rudy Quinonez, Ward 6
R. Delbert Self, City Manager . . . — Map (db m28295) HM
Library Hall was built in 1901 and has served as a Town Hall, a Church, a School and a Library. The building was given to the City of Douglas in March, 1973, by the Phelps Dodge Corporation. — Map (db m28298) HM
On May 5, 1862, a Confederate foraging party rounding up cattle near the abandoned Butterfield Overland Mail Station battled a group of Apaches. The soldiers were members of Company A, Governor John R. Baylor's Regiment of Arizona Rangers, under the . . . — Map (db m83149) HM
The San Antonio and San Diego Mail Line began service across Arizona to the Pacific coast in July, 1857. Its route included a stop here near the Dragoon spring. The San Antonio Line was commonly known as the "Jackass Mail" because mules were used . . . — Map (db m76940) HM
Lt. John A. Rucker, 6th Cav. U.S.A. perished in proximity in flooded White River July 11, 1878 attempting to save life of Lt. Austin Henely
Also on this site 1884-1943 ranch headquarters of Gray - Hampe - Rak — Map (db m42057) HM
Camp Supply served as the base for two companies of Indian Scouts: Company C commanded by 2nd Lieutenant John A. Rucker, and Company D led by 1st Lieutenant Austin Henely. Each Company included between 32 and 40 Scouts who enlisted for 6 months at a . . . — Map (db m42080) HM
June , 1876 - The Chiricahua Apache Indian Reservation is abolished. Apaches who are not relocated to other reservations are labeled renegades. Military patrols are sent throughout southeastern Arizona in search of them.
March, 1878 - . . . — Map (db m42087) HM
Camp Rucker was a ranching headquarters for over 80 years. The first owner was Michael Gray, a Justice of the Peace in Tombstone, Arizona. He moved to Camp Rucker in 1883 under the privileges of a “Squatters Claim.” Gray was strongly . . . — Map (db m42077) HM
During the Chiricahua Apache Campaign (1861-1886) cavalry troops on maneuvers camped here at a permanent source of water known as Soldiers Hole.
W. C. Sanderson and Ambrose Lyall struck artesian water nearby in 1883.
In 1892 a . . . — Map (db m28363) HM
This jail, built in 1910, replaced a tiny wooden jail which once stood nearby. Constructed entirely of reinforced concrete, it has withstood a hundred years of weather, escape attempts, vandals, neglect, and pillagers (official and otherwise): It . . . — Map (db m64206) HM
At this location in 1952, a large bone bed was discovered containing the remains of extinct mammoth, tapir, bison and horse. Found with the bones were the weapons and tools of the Indians who had killed and butchered these animals. The bones and . . . — Map (db m43633) HM
En el aρo 1539, recordando aϊn el anuncio de la conquista del imperio inca que occurriσ en 1533, el virrey Antonio de Mendoza receloso pero con te a la vez, enviσ a un sacerdote para comprobar los rumres [rumores] sobre ricas . . . — Map (db m28255) HM
Situated on the southern route to the Pacific Ocean, it brought law and order to the Arizona Territory, protecting settlers, miners, travelers and immigrants. Its troops won the surrender of Geronimo. Generals Pershing and Wood served here.
As . . . — Map (db m27897) HM
The remains of this noted gunman and outlaw lie here. A teamster traveling from West Turkey Creek found the body sitting in the fork of a nearby oak tree with a bullet hole in the right temple.
A coroner's jury reported the death to be suicide, . . . — Map (db m28365) HM
A Post Office was established in the Pearce Camp in 1896. At that time the Soto Bros and Chattman Store served as the first Post Office location with Thomas Chattman as the first appointed postmaster. The Post Office was later relocated to this . . . — Map (db m64204) HM
"Near here Geronimo, last Apache Chieftain, and Nachite with their followers surrendered on Sept. 6th 1886 to General Nelson A. Miles. U. S. Army. Lieutenant Chas. B. Gatewood with Kieta and Martine Apache scouts, risked their lives to enter the . . . — Map (db m28355) HM
Dedicated to the
Engineering Achievements of
Percy Jones, Jr.
Chief locating engineer who by sheer genius personally located more miles of Arizona highways than any other person. His college training in mining and geology . . . — Map (db m37899) HM
Dedicated to the
Engineering Achievements of
Percy Jones, Jr.
Chief locating engineer who by sheer genius personally located more miles of Arizona highways than any other person. His college training in mining and geology . . . — Map (db m37900) HM
Built 1979 – 1980
1893 – 1974
In memory of all Americans who served their country with valor and gallantry during World War I and World War II in the pursuit of freedom and liberty for . . . — Map (db m49433) HM
Constructed in 1956, the William Carmichael Elementary School was the first school to be built in the new Sierra Vista School District. The school first opened its doors on September 5, 1956, with 16 classrooms for 500 children in grades . . . — Map (db m83848) HM
335 North Garden Avenue
Built in 1905
This is perhaps the oldest building still standing in Sierra Vista. Mr. John Reilly homesteaded the property and received the patent for the land in March of 1911. John Reilly and his wife Ellen sold . . . — Map (db m27895) HM
301 North Garden Avenue
Built in 1927
The Carmichael House was built by William and Margaret Ziegan Carmichael on 131.05 acres. On December 11, 1911, Margaret, a single woman at the time, purchased the property from John and Ellen Reilly . . . — Map (db m27894) HM
Dedicated 9, July 1993
In honor of
Command Sergeant Major
Clovis D. Ice
United States Army
1933 – 1991
CSM Ice was a pioneer in military intelligence, airborne and special forces operations. He was a principal developer of . . . — Map (db m28234) HM
This site is within the Oliver Fry 280-acre homestead, which was filed August 11, 1912; the patent (or deed) was received August 11, 1916. Erwin Fry, the second oldest of Oliver and Elizabeth Fry's ten children, became the owner of this site. In . . . — Map (db m27892) HM
The Crazyhorse system was fielded in 1985 to meet the need for a capability to locate unique electronic emissions in Central America. It consisted of three RC – 12G airframes converted from C – 12D aircraft by Sanders Associates, . . . — Map (db m29587) HM
The Mohawk is a high-performance, two-seat, observation aircraft made by the Grumman Corporation. The first model flew in 1959 and the last came off the production line in 1970. First deployed in 1962, it became the mainstay of Army aerial . . . — Map (db m29588) HM
holds the remains of
18 California Volunteers who died
at Fort Lowell during the Civil War and a
Civil War Veteran of the U.S. Colored Troops.
Their graves are marked with a GAR star.
Sgt. John C. McQuade - Co.B, 2 Calif. . . . — Map (db m33745) HM
400 W. Fry Blvd.
Built in 1942
Originally constructed as a USO Club on land purchased by the U.S. Government from Mrs. Margaret Carmichael for the sum of $1.00, this facility served military personnel during World War II. It was closed . . . — Map (db m27893) HM
Dedicated to the
Arizona Mining, Sand and Gravel Industry
by E.J. Cyr on 1/1/93
History: Built in 1905 by Ingersoll Rand for the Inspiration Consolidated Copper Co. in Miami, Arizona to power a 150 ton air compressor.
Antique wheel . . . — Map (db m48595) HM
This Tombstone Cemetery gives mute testimony to the hardships of Western frontier life. The people buried here were housewives, painted ladies, outlaws, gamblers, miners, business men and women, blacksmiths, cowboys and those "who died with their . . . — Map (db m27926) HM
Buried here are the remains of Tom McLaury, Frank McLaury, Billy Clanton - killed in Earp Clanton battle Oct 26, 1881.
Dan Dowd, Red Sample, Bill DeLancy, Dan Kelly: Tex Howard hanged legally by Sheriff Ward for Bisbee massacre Mar 1884, John . . . — Map (db m100173) HM
Bob Hatch and John Campbell opened a billiard parlor in 1880. Bob Hatch was a colorful character and an amateur thespian. It was said he kept a jar of frogs on the counter as their croaking helped him predict the weather. He followed the Earps to . . . — Map (db m48516) HM
The Can Can Restaurant was established in 1879 by Quong Kee. It was one of Tombstone's best known restaurants. In 1886 it was purchased by John Henninger who turned it into a first class eating establishment. It had a number of proprietors until . . . — Map (db m48513) HM
The first business in Tombstone was opened on this corner by J.B. Allen. In 1879 it was purchased by Phillip Smith who opened the Pioneer Store and an agency of the Pima County Bank within the store. When Cochise County was established, Smith . . . — Map (db m48514) HM
The son of a miner, Ed learned everything about prospecting from his father, except how to strike it rich! For twenty years, Ed prospected the west. He tried the "regular life," but after 18 months remarked: "No better off than I was prospecting, . . . — Map (db m27933) HM
M. Calisher was a California company that opened a store in Tombstone in 1879. They sold general merchandise as well as lumber. Eighteen year old David Calisher managed the store. He was a member of a grand jury that indicted William Claiborne for a . . . — Map (db m48528) HM
On December 28th of 1881 while crossing 5th St., Virgil Earp was ambushed and shot. Would be assassins hidden in a new building under construction opened fire with shotguns. Virgil was severely wounded. He survived, but lost the use of his left arm. . . . — Map (db m48517) HM
In 1934, Robert Ripley
declares the Rose Bush
the World's Largest in the
"Believe it or Not".
The fire of May 26th, 1882, destroyed the dwellings located here. In 1885, Mrs. Amelia Adamson built the Cochise House . . . — Map (db m93399) HM
In 1881, Nellie Cashman aided in building an adobe structure which served as a combination church and rectory; the first Pastor was Father Emmanuel P. Schneider. Another church was built in 1882 and Bishop John B. Salpointe dedicated it in 1883. The . . . — Map (db m27916) HM
The railroad reached Tucson in March of 1880. Richard Grid had a railroad spike crafted of solid silver from the Toughnut Mine. It was presented to the President of the Southern Pacific Railroad as an inducement to bring a railroad spur to . . . — Map (db m53401) HM
The First Protestant Church in Arizona Territory under the direction of Endicott Peabody who conducted the first services in this building on June 18, 1882.
The structure is of hand formed adobe brick, stuccoed in 1970 to protect the adobe. The . . . — Map (db m27920) HM
In September of 1880 a new adobe structure, the Grand Hotel, opened for business. It boasted all the luxury and comfort that 1880 had to offer. It displayed Brussels carpets, a black walnut baluster, walnut furniture and rare oil paintings. John . . . — Map (db m48515) HM
The Oriental Saloon was opened in 1880 by Milton Joyce with the gaming concessions run by Lou Rickenbaugh. The Epitaph News described it as "the most elegantly furnished saloon this side of the Golden Gate". Wyatt Earp bought a share of the gaming . . . — Map (db m48524) HM
Architect Frank Walker designed this building in Victorian style adapted to Western Territorial. It is constructed of fired red brick. It has been in continuous service since 1882 for Mayors, Marshals and official city offices. In the 1880s it . . . — Map (db m27918) HM
The devastating fires of 1881 and 1882 brought major changes to the Tombstone Fire Department. A new fire station was completed in 1881, a new Rescue Hook and Ladder Co. was formed, and a new water source was obtained. Thirty six miles of fifteen . . . — Map (db m53403) HM
In 1877 prospector Ed Schieffelin searched for silver in Apache land. He was told he would only find his own tombstone. Schieffelin ignored the advice. The result was a strike worth at least forty million dollars.
This brought not only miners . . . — Map (db m48507) HM
This was the homeland of the Chiricahua Apache. From out of the north came these semi nomadic hunters. Separating from other Apache groups in the 1690s, the Chiricahua Apache moved into southeastern Arizona. — Map (db m100161) HM
They came when only the brave dared come: They stayed where only the valiant could stay. Born in Sweden. Americans by choice - not by accident of birth, they loved their adopted country and served her well.
Served five years in the . . . — Map (db m28368) HM
On 30 December, 1951, during a routine training flight from Merced, California, to Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, Lt. Robert G. Westlund lost his life when his F-51 "Mustang" fighter plane crashed near Sunset Peak in the Galiuro Mountains . . . — Map (db m28414) HM
Railroad Avenue became the Commercial center for the growth of Willcox and the Sulpher Springs Valley from the time of the construction of the Southern Pacific Railroad through the area in 1880. — Map (db m28174) HM
[Marker mounted to the left of sculpture:]
Born December 31, 1920 to Horace and Faye Allen in Willcox, Rex Elvie Allen was cross-eyed at birth.
As a young boy, Rex sang in the barber shop on this very street. He and his Dad played . . . — Map (db m28199) HM
"Sacred to the memory of these pioneers, they came when only the
brave dared come: they stayed
where only the valiant could stay."
Lillian Erickson Riggs
Swedish immigrants, Neil and Emma Erickson married in 1887 and . . . — Map (db m28366) HM
Built by Delso Smith as an Army Officer reception center during the Indian wars. Bought by Mr. Schwertner in 1893 and donated to the local Historic Society in 1980.
It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m28418) HM
This is the only remaining original redwood frame Southern Pacific R.R. Station in Arizona. It is also the only known, original, on site, passenger depot still extant on the Southern – Trans – Continental Railroad route, between Los . . . — Map (db m28180) HM
Built by Thomas A. Huffman. The Toggery was originally constructed as a single unit and later Mr. Huffman built the adjacent building. Huffman's Toggery was established in 1916 as part of the Commercial Development of Willcox.
Listed on the . . . — Map (db m28200) HM
Was constructed by P. Howard Pregenzer and crew
In Memory of
P. Howard Pregenzer
Resident of Willcox, Arizona 1927-1980
Construction began in 1934 and completed in 1936
Construction sponsored by the City of Willcox, . . . — Map (db m28415) HM
Named for one of Arizona's first U.S. Senators. A pioneer in development of trails and copper mines in Grand Canyon. Near here was the site of Tanner's Crossing of the Little Colorado River on the Mormon Trail from Utah via Lee Ferry to settlements . . . — Map (db m80764) HM
Section crews were the laborers who built the railroads in the beginning and have continued throughout the years to maintain them. These crews were most efficient in moving heavy sections of rails when they all worked in unison. To accomplish this . . . — Map (db m33265) HM
Between 1100 and 1200, more people lived in this area than ever before, or since. Located along routes linking large populations to the northeast and south, villages here were well situated for trade. As people, goods, and ideas . . . — Map (db m60079) HM
Box Canyon and Lomaki ruins are a short 15-minute walk from here, along the edges of ancient earthcracks. The 1/4-mile trail will take you back in time over 800 years to the remnants of this once-thriving community. You will see the few native . . . — Map (db m60114) HM
You are entering the “Citadel,” a ruin from the late 1100s. Research has not been completed so it is important that we leave things as they are. Will there be extra storage spaces found, possible evidence for the . . . — Map (db m60089) HM
Eight hundred years ago, a savannah-like grassland covered much of this high desert with abundant grasses. The residents would have collected and burned much of the nearby fuel, necessitating long walks to adjacent areas to gather wood. Sparse . . . — Map (db m60105) HM
Aubineau Building: The earliest buildings on this site were wood frame saloons, which burned in 1886 and 1888 and 1892. In 1892, ownership passed to Julius Aubineau, who later became Mayor of Flagstaff and is credited with installing the . . . — Map (db m33267) HM
Because of its prime location, this corner, containing two lots, was one of the earliest in Flagstaff to be developed. Pioneer merchant J. R. Kilpatrick built New Town's sixth building here in December 1883. This wooden store building burned in the . . . — Map (db m33269) HM
In 1888, David Babbitt, who had been running a lumber yard on this site, decided to construct a general store. Starting in late summer, he built a 35 X 70 foot structure on this corner, with the long side of the building running west along Aspen . . . — Map (db m59504) HM
In 1857 Congress authorized Navy Lieutenant Edward F. Beale to survey a wagon road along the 35th parallel from Fort Defiance, New Mexico Territory, to the Colorado River. A secondary mission was to test the feasibility of using camels in the . . . — Map (db m33348) HM
From 1857-60, Lt. Edward F. Beale and a crew of 100 men completed the first federal highway in the southwest from Fort Smith, Ark. to Los Angeles, Calif. at a cost of $200,000. The wagon road was used extensively by immigrants en route to California . . . — Map (db m33346) HM
The Box Canyon ruins are typical of many pueblos found in this region. Early inhabitants constructed walls of nearby sandstone and limestone, and used local soils to cement the stones together. The flat roofs were built of timbers laid side-by-side, . . . — Map (db m60094) HM
The City of Flagstaff purchased this land in 1959 from the United States Forest Service.
In 1964, James Potter, Sr., long-time resident, entrepreneur and Flagstaff Chamber of Commerce President, led the effort to form a non-profit organization, . . . — Map (db m33347) HM
Bushmaster Park is named in memory of Flagstaff's Company I-158th Infantry Regiment, Arizona National Guard, and their sacrifices for freedom made in New Guinea, the Phillipine Islands and Japan from 1941 to 1945.
"No greater fighting team ever . . . — Map (db m60932) HM
In 1888, at the insistence of a group of Catholic
Laymen, The First Catholic Church in Flagstaff was built of brick on the south side of town. It was moved in 1911 to a temporary site just west of and across the street from the present permanent . . . — Map (db m33336) HM
The Hoxworth family was the first to develop this lot, when H. H. Hoxworth built a hardware and furniture store here in January 1884. The property was owned by his father, George Hoxworth, a wounded Union veteran of the Battle of Shiloh.
Like . . . — Map (db m33268) HM
An open area in the pueblo near the rim of the earthcrack is known as the plaza. In pueblos, the plaza was the center for many daily activities including grinding corn, making pottery, working obsidian into arrowheads, processing other . . . — Map (db m60110) HM
This building for many years was the home of J. J. "Sandy" Donahue's famous Senate Saloon. After earlier frame buildings on the site had been destroyed by fire, Donahue built the present brick structure in 1888.
An important figure in . . . — Map (db m33266) HM
The K.J. Nackard family came to Flagstaff in 1912 and opened a small general store at 106 E. Railroad Avenue. The store was successful. In 1921, Nackard built a home on this property, just a stone's throw from the store.
Soon afterwards, . . . — Map (db m59499) HM
Volcanic activity to the south produced giant fissures or earthcracks throughout the Wupatki area in the Kaibab Limestone. This formation covers most of the western half of Wupatki National Monument. The Sinagua and Anasazi Indians who inhabited . . . — Map (db m60098) HM
Named for a pine tree stripped of its branches by a party of immigrants and used as a flagpole for a patriotic celebration on July 4, 1876. Nearby Antelope or Old Town Spring provided water and led to the establishment of a railroad construction . . . — Map (db m33330) HM
Historians generally agree that Flagstaff derives its name from a flag-raising ceremony held July 4, 1876, by a group of settlers from New England who were camped within sight of this historic monument.
In February and May of 1876, two groups . . . — Map (db m33365) HM
Flagstaff Presbyterian Church
1892 - 1916
Flagstaff Federated Community Church
Mexican Methodist Mission – El Divino Redentor
United Methodist Church 1927-present
The First Presbyterian congregation of Flagstaff . . . — Map (db m33364) HM
Flagstaff was a name on a map before the area had any significant population. The first permanent settler was Thomas F. McMillan who arrived sometime in 1876. On July 4, 1876, a party of emigrants traveling from Boston to California was camped at . . . — Map (db m41717) HM
Logging wheels were originally an integral part of the early lumber industry in Northern Arizona. Originally designed in 1870 by Silas Overpack, a Manistee, Michigan wheelwright, the wheels were used by a local farmer to help him clear his land. . . . — Map (db m33331) HM
Thomas F. McMillan (also spelled McMillon) was the father of Flagstaff. Born in Tennessee, he sought gold in California and raised sheep in Australia before moving to northern Arizona in 1876. Here he established a sheep ranch and farm just north of . . . — Map (db m33271) HM
Flagstaff's first congregation was formed by the Methodists in 1883 and they raised the first church five blocks east of here in 1887. In 1906 they moved here and constructed this Gothic style building of locally quarried red sandstone. The . . . — Map (db m33337) HM
The facility was originally constructed in 1925-1926 by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad as the passenger station for the Flagstaff stop. The City of Flagstaff acquired the building in 1992 using city of Flagstaff Bed, Board & Booze tax . . . — Map (db m78739) HM
As the keystone shows, this building was constructed in 1911. Its owner was R.O. Raymond, M.D., one of Flagstaffs first doctors. Raymond came west for his health. After a short stay in Williams, he moved to Flagstaff in 1906.
He was the doctor . . . — Map (db m59511) HM
The first building on this site was a wooden structure located at 22 N. San Francisco Street dating from the early 1890s. It was the home of a saloon with a cute name, The Office. (“Honey I cant come home just yet, Im still at The . . . — Map (db m59510) HM
The distant San Francisco Peaks would have looked much like they do today. To the east, however, Sunset Crater Volcano would still have been belching black smoke and cinders when the Sinagua and Anasazi lived here. The thick layer of cinders over . . . — Map (db m60107) HM
This building was constructed in 1909 by John W. Weatherford, the man who earlier built the adjacent Weatherford Hotel. It was the headquarters for the Arizona Overland Telephone Company, housing its offices and physical plant.
Construction . . . — Map (db m59966) HM
It was a remarkable achievement, to use primitive mortar and local stones to build the walls above you straight up from the edge of the top of the rock. “The Citadel” is the modern name given to this ruin because . . . — Map (db m60087) HM
Historic Basque handball court (cancha) built in 1926 by Jesus Garcia, a Spaniard who migrated to Flagstaff in 1912. He owned and operated the adjacent Tourist Home. The Basque would reportedly herd sheep, drink, chase women, or play their beloved . . . — Map (db m59498) HM
The original thirty-two Code Talkers were organized to develop codes based on their native language which were used extensively during World War II. These and many other Native Americans served bravely throughout the Pacific and other combat zones. . . . — Map (db m33344) HM
This 1945 Model H International Farmall, purchased by the Zanzucchi Family after World War II, was used to plow the "Fields" at the Flagstaff Dairy. The Flagstaff Dairy operated from 1904 thru 1979 and was located 3 miles west of Flagstaff on Old . . . — Map (db m78740) HM
1196 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 996