Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Arkansas Historical Markers

399 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 149
 
Old Military Road Marker image, Click for more information
By Jeff Lewis, 2009
Old Military Road Marker
Arkansas (Baxter County), Mountain Home — Old Military Road
About 1800 near this spot white man established the first trail from East to West across Baxter County. Later some of the Cherokee Indians were moved to Oklahoma using this route which was known as the Trail of Tears. — Map (db m62248) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Avoca — Sesquicentennial Trail of the CenturiesBenton County Arkansas Sesquicentennial Monument 1836 - 1986 — Arkansas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
800 AD • Trace of the Rock People 1808 • Osage Boundary 1815 • Lawrence County 1827-28 • Lovely County 1838 • Trail of Tears 1840 • Trott's Stand 1858 • Old Wire Road 1858-61 • Butterfield Stage Route 1861 • Troop Trails 1862 • . . . — Map (db m62485) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Air Force Cross – Navy Cross – Distinguished Service Cross

The Distinguished Service Cross (Army), Navy Cross, and Air Force Cross are equivalent awards. They are given to any service person who, while serving, distinguishes himself or herself by extraordinary heroism not justifying the award of the . . . — Map (db m90867) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Bronze Star Medal

The Bronze Star Medal is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity in or with the military of the United States after 6 December 1941 distinguished himself or herself by heroic or meritorious service or achievement, not involving . . . — Map (db m90855) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Cold War

The Cold War was a period of East-West competition, tension, and conflict short of full-scale war. It was characterized by mutual perceptions of hostile intention between military-political alliances or blocs. Quoting from a Veterans of Foreign . . . — Map (db m92218) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Distinguished Flying Cross

A bronze patee on which is superimposed a four-bladed propeller, the Distinguished Flying Cross is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity with the Armed Forces of the United States distinguishes himself or herself by heroism . . . — Map (db m90865) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Dug Hill Community Center

So called because steps were dug into the hill so settlers could reach the top.

Once existed two churches, a school and a cemetery. Area named and cemetery started about 1867. — Map (db m90572) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Korea

On June 25, 1950, North Korean troops started the Korean War by invading South Korea. Two days later, the United Nations Security Council adopted a resolution calling member nations to help defend South Korea. In all, 16 nations sent troops to . . . — Map (db m92219) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Legion of Merit

The Legion of Merit was the first American decoration awarded to citizens of Foreign Nations. There are four degrees of award. They are Chief Commander, Commander, Officer, and Legionaire/Legion of Merit. Only the Legion of Merit is awarded to . . . — Map (db m90866) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Lewis & Clark Expedition

The Lewis & Clark Expedition was accomplished by Captain Meriwether Lewis, Captain William Clark, and their fellow explorers, and was the visionary journey of President Thomas Jefferson. The journey was to become one of America’s greatest . . . — Map (db m91477) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Medal of Honor

The Medal of Honor is the highest Military decoration awarded by the United States. It is bestowed on a member of the American Armed Forces, who distinguishes himself or herself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life . . . — Map (db m90869) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Mexican War

War with Mexico was the result of the annexation of the Republic of Texas to the United States in March 1845, which the Mexican government regarded as an act of war since they had refused to recognize Texas' independence. Following the capture . . . — Map (db m91501) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Operation Iraqi Freedom

After Iraq's defeat in the Persian Gulf War, the Iraqi dictator ignored numerous United Nations Resolutions which resulted in America declaring a "regime change" as an official goal of U.S. policy. In the context of the new terrorist threat . . . — Map (db m92337) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Persian Gulf War

In 1961 and again in 1973, Iraq had claimed that the nation of Kuwait was part of Iraq. On August 2, 1990, Iraq troop invaded the disputed area claimed by Kuwait. Iraqi invaders looted Kuwait, then headed toward Saudi Arabia. For several . . . — Map (db m92241) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Purple Heart

In 1782 General George Washington created a new military badge for Enlisted Men and Non-Commissioned Officers called the Badge of Military Merit. This was the forerunner of the Purple Heart that we know today. The award fell into disuse until . . . — Map (db m90776) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Revolutionary War

The American Revolution was a conflict between England and thirteen of her colonies in North America. Following years of taxation, suppression, and subjugation by the British, fighting began at Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts in 1775. A . . . — Map (db m91470) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Silver Star Medal

Criteria: The Silver Star Medal is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity with the Armed Forces of the United States is cited for gallantry in action while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing . . . — Map (db m90778) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — The Alamo

Any discussion of the Battle of the Alamo must begin with the Siege of Bexar, named after San Antonio de Bexar which ocurred [sic] in December 1835. In early December, Bexar was controlled by the Mexicans. On December 5th, a group of Texas . . . — Map (db m91496) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — The Terrible Cost of World War II

SACRIFICE: In 1939 the active United States military totaled 335,000, and during the conflict more than 16 million men and women had served. Tens of millions of men and women throughout the world were in military service in other nations . . . — Map (db m91985) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — The War Between the States

The immediate cause of the War Between the States was the election of Abraham Lincoln to the Presidency of the United States in 1860. The deeper cause, however, was the issue of states' rights. The question of states' rights was based on the . . . — Map (db m91678) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — The War in Afghanistan

The devastating September 11, 2001, attacks on American soil rattled the nation's morale as it became clear the Al Qaeda terrorists sought nothing less than the destruction of the United States of America.

Leaders of Al Qaeda had taken . . . — Map (db m92258) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — The Years Between

The periods from the end of World War I to 1929 could be accurately described as 'boom to bust'. Great new technologies such as the family automobile, talking pictures, radio, and commercial air service were being woven into American lives. . . . — Map (db m91952) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Triumph in Europe"Europe - Liberty's Victorious Conflict"

Following World War I, the United States remained isolated from world affairs as economic and political factors led to the rise of nationalistic powers in the Soviet Union, Germany, Italy, and Japan. A series of bold moves by Germany and weak . . . — Map (db m91954) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — United States Commanders in Chief

Our Constitution names the President of the United States the Commander in Chief of all the Armed Forces. Presidents who have served in our military are displayed on the following plaques. Each has served either on Active Duty, in the National . . . — Map (db m92382) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — United States Commanders in Chief

[Written on the initial marker, provided for context] Our Constitution names the President of the United States the Commander in Chief of all the Armed Forces. Presidents who have served in our military are displayed on the following . . . — Map (db m92384) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — United States Commanders in Chief

[Written on the initial marker, provided for context] Our Constitution names the President of the United States the Commander in Chief of all the Armed Forces. Presidents who have served in our military are displayed on the following . . . — Map (db m92389) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — United States Commanders in Chief

[Written on the initial marker, provided for context] Our Constitution names the President of the United States the Commander in Chief of all the Armed Forces. Presidents who have served in our military are displayed on the following . . . — Map (db m92400) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — United States Commanders in Chief

[Written on the initial marker, provided for context] Our Constitution names the President of the United States the Commander in Chief of all the Armed Forces. Presidents who have served in our military are displayed on the following . . . — Map (db m92421) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — United States Commanders in Chief

[Written on the initial marker, provided for context] Our Constitution names the President of the United States the Commander in Chief of all the Armed Forces. Presidents who have served in our military are displayed on the following . . . — Map (db m92423) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — United States Commanders in Chief

[Written on the initial marker, provided for context] Our Constitution names the President of the United States the Commander in Chief of all the Armed Forces. Presidents who have served in our military are displayed on the following . . . — Map (db m92424) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Veterans Wall of Honor

Founder’s Statement All Who Serve Sacrifice Some Who Serve Sacrifice All

Welcome to the Veterans Wall of Honor, honoring all veterans of our Armed Forces who have served in peace and war since the Revolutionary War. In the spring of . . . — Map (db m92585) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Victory in the Pacific

The Japanese attack on our military installations in Hawaii was only one of a series of victories in late 1941 and early 1942 gained by them. By the summer of 1942 Japan controlled huge portions of Asia and the Pacific. Fortunately for the . . . — Map (db m91992) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Vietnam

The 1954 Geneva Accords temporarily divided Vietnam into Communist-controlled North Vietnam and nationalist-controlled South Vietnam. Three years later South Vietnamese Communists, called Vietcong, began rebelling. To try to halt the spread of . . . — Map (db m92239) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — War of 1812

Still reeling from the loss of its North American colonies and fighting in a European war, England began to stop and search American ships on the high seas. During such searches, American sailors would be impressed against their will into the . . . — Map (db m91478) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — War on Terrorism

The paradox of power is that a weaker nation will seek help from a stronger nation to resolve a problem, then hate the stronger nation because the weaker nation could not solve the problem themselves.

Though it was not realized at the time, . . . — Map (db m92254) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — War with Spain

There were two principal causes for the war with Spain. The first was the brutality of the methods by which the Spanish Colonial authorities sought to suppress the revolution that began in Cuba in 1859 - methods that outraged the American sense . . . — Map (db m91849) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Women in World War II

During the war more than 300,000 women would join the armed forces, many helping to free men to fight on the battlefronts. They served in both the European and Pacific Theaters of Operation as clerks, radio operators, mechanics, ferry pilots, . . . — Map (db m91956) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — World War I

'The war to end all wars' began following the assassination of the Archduke of Austria-Hungary in the summer of 1914. Before the summer was over Great Britain, France, Russia, and their allies were at war with Germany, Austria-Hungary, and . . . — Map (db m91850) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — World War II Home Front

Following the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, the massive American production might was mobilized. After that attack the production of most non-essential consumer goods was halted or curtailed, and manufacturing facilities . . . — Map (db m92187) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — 1 — Benton County First Court House
The first court house in Benton County, built of hewed logs was erected on this site (at Bentonville) in 1837, the year after the county was created. It was named for Thomas H Benton. — Map (db m19880) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Benton County Hardware
circa 1893, W.J. Doke proprietor. First Motor Co. and first gas station in alley beside store. Recently housed Bentonville Furniture — Map (db m54310) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Benton County National Bank
Civil Court and Bentonville City Hall, circa 1934 Site formerly the Benton County National Bank circa 1906 — Map (db m54312) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Big TreeLargest Sycamore in Arkansas
Circumference 21.45 ft. height 106 ft. diameter BH 82 in. spread 120 ft. To insure protection during its lifetime, owner Bill Bradford on April 11, 1975, legally willed to itself this tree and all land within a radius of 10 feet from its trunk and . . . — Map (db m50368) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Confederate Memorial
All 4 sides Confederate Side 1 To the Southern Soldiers Side 2 Their names are borne on honor's shield. Their record is with God. Side 3 They fought for home and fatherland. Side . . . — Map (db m21242) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Eagle Hotel
On the morning of March 6, 1862, Gen. Franz Sigel was eating his breakfast at the Eagle Hotel which stood on this site. He had remained here with 600 men and a battery of six pieces after the main column of his army had passed through Bentonville on . . . — Map (db m22447) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Terry Block
Terry Block Bldg. circa 1888, named for Col. William Terry housed the Benton County Bank and a Mercantile Company — Map (db m54309) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Walton's 5 &10
At this site on May 9, 1950, Sam Walton opened his original "Walton's 5-10" store - the forerunner of Wal-Mart Inc. Dedicated October 8, 1983 — Map (db m54307) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — "Dat De Shpot, Sergent!"March 8, 1862 - Morning
I saw General Sigel sight one piece...and send a shot at the [rebel] guns that had driven us back...It went tearing in among the men and horses, killing and wounding both, and then exploded in one of the caissons...Placing his glass to his eye to . . . — Map (db m35684) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — A Crisis in CommandMarch 7, 1862 - Afternoon
We must not let the men know that General McCulloch is killed. Benjamin Pixley, Lieutenant, 16th Arkansas Infantry The general in charge of this half of the Confederate army - Texan Ben McCulloch - had formed his division, some 7,000 strong, . . . — Map (db m35559) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — A Fierce Tangle in Morgan's WoodsMarch 7, 1862 - Late Afternoon
...this battle...was a mass of mixed up confusion from beginning to end...Would to God it was night or reinforcements would come. William Watson, sergeant, 3rd Louisiana Infantry Regiment Four regiments of volunteers from Arkansas and . . . — Map (db m35566) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — A Long, Cold Hungry MarchMarch 4, 5, 6, 1862
I don't believe they ever made a harder march during the Revolution than we made that night. Jack Bower, private, 2nd Missouri Regiment The 16,000-strong Confederate Army of the West spent most of the first week of March 1862 trudging on . . . — Map (db m35614) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — A Perfect Storm of Shot and ShellMarch 8, 1862 - Morning
...[the Yankees] opened a perfect storm of round and shrapnell shot and shell...[the ground] was literally ploughed up by cannon ball...It is a perfect miracle that any of us ever came out. John J. Good, captain, Dallas Texas Light Artillery, . . . — Map (db m35672) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — A Village Full of Wounded MenMarch 7, 1862 - Late Afternoon
Entering a little clearing, we discovered the yellow hospital flags fluttering from the gables of every house in the hamlet of Leetown, and the surgeons busy with the sad, yet humane task that was theirs to perform. Lyman G. Bennett, private, . . . — Map (db m35503) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — City of Soldiers
In early March 1862, these now quiet fields bustled with the clamor and constant motion of an army headquarters in time of battle. Soldiers drilled, cleaned guns, and checked ammunition. Scouts and couriers rode in to report. Officers convened for . . . — Map (db m35476) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Confederate SunsetMarch 7, 1862 - Sunset
As the sun set on the first day of battle, about 3,000 rebels from Missouri made their final charge here. Crossing Ben Ruddick's stubbled cornfield, they ran straight toward the muzzles of Federal cannon set wheel hub to wheel hub against a line of . . . — Map (db m35671) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Disastrous RetreatMarch 8, 1862 - Afternoon
It took two weeks for the stunned survivors of the Confederate Army of the West to make their way from here back to rendezvous on the Arkansas River. In late March 1862 General Van Dorn was ordered to take his army east to Mississippi. This left . . . — Map (db m35666) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Elkhorn Tavern TakenMarch 7, 1862 - Early Afternoon
Confederate commander Earl Van Dorn had pushed his army relentlessly for a week to catch the Union army by surprise. Now, after hours of hard fighting up the Telegraph Road, here in sight of Elkhorn Tavern, Van Dorn gambled by committing all his . . . — Map (db m37756) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Fiery Finale on Ruddick's Field
The first day's fighting ended at sunset on the large open field you see in the distance below. The half of the Confederate army that had circled completely around Big Mountain - where you now stand - had fought hard all day to force their way up . . . — Map (db m35616) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Getting Ready To FightMarch 6, 1862 - Late Afternoon
General Samuel Curtis had only 10,500 troops to hold back a Confederate army of more than 16,000 men moving toward him. Curtis had asked army headquarters in St. Louis for reinforcements. None could be sent. At the last minute, Union soldiers dug . . . — Map (db m35496) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Hard Fighting Near Leetown
The families who lived outside Leetown, Arkansas first heard shots fired on the far side of Little Mountain, the low wooded rise you see to the right. Half of the Confederate Army of the West was marching eastward on Ford Road, moving this way. To . . . — Map (db m35639) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — It was the Grandest Thing I Ever Saw...
It was extremely rare in the Civil War to be able to see an entire army lined up for a fight, with all the regiments within sight of each other. Had you stood here on Saturday, March 8, 1862, you could have see 10,000 Union men in battle lines . . . — Map (db m35622) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Leetown
The small hamlet near here included two stores, a blacksmith shop, Masonic hall, church, school and several residences. During the fighting some of the buildings were used by the Union Army as hospitals. — Map (db m35505) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Lifeline for Two Armies
Elkhorn Tavern overlooks a highway of vital importance for Arkansas and Missouri during the Civil War. Union and Confederate leaders both wanted this 20-foot-wide dirt road to move men and supplies. Alongside the road ran 3-year-old telegraph wires, . . . — Map (db m35660) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Night Moves
I have ordered Generals Sigel and Davis to move with their divisions during the night and form on the left of Carr's division ... and be ready to renew the battle at daylight. The enemy will concentrate his whole force at Elk Horn; we will fight . . . — Map (db m35619) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Pea RidgeConfederate Monument
(Front):The Brave Confederate dead who fell on this field Mar., 6,7, & 8 1862.The graves of our dead with the grass evergreen May yet form the footstool of Liberty's throne; And each single rock in the war-path of Alight. Small yet be a rock . . . — Map (db m35652) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Pea Ridge and the Trail of TearsTrail of Tears National Historic Trail — National Trails System
"Decr 23rd 1837, Buried Rainfrogs daughter. Marched at 8 o'c A.M. halted at Reddix, 3 o'c. P.M. encamped and issued corn & fodder & beef, 16 miles today. -B.B. Cannon, Detachment Leader Not Far to Go Here, members of William . . . — Map (db m21085) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Remembrance and Reunion
The two stone monuments you see here reflect the long-lasting grief - and the hopes - of the generation of Americans who survived the Civil War. After the war, young men whose lives had been forever changed by this battle began returning to these . . . — Map (db m35642) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Reunited Soldiery Monument
(Front):Angel AloftSpirit of eternal light Keep silent vigil o'er the brave The untarnished blue. The unsullied gray. In peace and love unite. Proud heroes have fallen And over their grave Our hearts are united Our country to save. Over . . . — Map (db m35644) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Save the Cannon!March 7, 1862 - Mid-Morning
Like maddened hornets, Confederate infantrymen boiled out of Morgan's Woods, crossed Leetown Road, and swarmed toward the six Federal cannon that had unlimbered in this corner of Oberson's cornfield. Captain William Black stood in front of the . . . — Map (db m35562) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Slaughter in the RocksMarch 8, 1862 - Morning
Below you here stand 30-foot-tall columns of stone. Bone-tired Confederates of the 2nd Missouri Brigade took shelter amid these rocky dens after the first day's hard marching and fighting. What at first seemed like a good natural defense became a . . . — Map (db m35638) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Stand to Your Posts!March 7, 1862 - Mid-Morning
Officers and men, you have it in your power to make or prevent another Bull Run affair. I want every man to stand to his post! Nicholas Greusel, colonel, 36th Illinois Infantry Regiment Yankee cavalrymen, mauled from a sharp fight with 7,000 . . . — Map (db m35591) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — That Beautiful ChargeMarch 8, 1862 - Mid-Morning
That beautiful charge I shall never forget; with banners streaming, with drums beating, and our long line of blue coats advancing upon the double quick, with their deadly bayonets gleaming in the sunlight, and every man and officer yelling at the . . . — Map (db m35677) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — The Butterfield Overland Mail Route
John Butterfield was born in Berne, New York in 1801 and grew up on a farm amid the technological revolution of the first steamboat, the Erie Canal, the steam locomotive, and the electric telegraph.      In 1857, John Butterfield won a lucrative . . . — Map (db m84484) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — The Enemy Is Behind Us!March 7, 1862 - Mid-Morning
It was still below freezing at 10:30 a.m. March 7, 1862, when an alarmed messenger thundered into Union headquarters. The news he carried was startling: Confederates were moving down the Telegraph Road a mile north of Elkhorn Tavern. All of . . . — Map (db m35459) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — They Passed This WayTrail of Tears National Historic Trail — National Trails System
"Long time we travel on way to new land.... Womens cry... Children cry and men cry...but they say nothing and just put heads down and keep on go towards West. Many days pass and people die very much." -Recollection of a survivor of the Trail of . . . — Map (db m35436) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Two Armies Collide
Imagine 7,000 Confederate troops crowded in close order along Ford Road, the lane you see on the right edge of this field. As they trudged east toward Elkhorn Tavern, a small Union force of Iowa cavalrymen - only 600 men - unexpectedly appeared from . . . — Map (db m37755) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — U.S. Army Headquarters 1862
This site was the camp-ground for commanding officers and headquarters of U.S. Army for Battle of Pea Ridge. Here councils of war were held. Camp for 10,500 soldiers. U.S. Army located 1 ½ miles south. Depot of supplies 1 mile north of this . . . — Map (db m35688) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Vulnerable in VictoryMarch 7, 1862 - Mid-Night
It was the fiery end of the best day of Earl Van Dorn's 20 years as a professional soldier. Bone-tired from the jarring of a week-long ambulance ride and still feverish from pneumonia, the Confederate commander lay down here in the side yard of . . . — Map (db m35661) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Where I Knew I Might Make the Best Fight
The high bluffs here on Little Sugar Creek were a scene of frantic activity on the morning of March 6, 1862 as Federal soldiers shoveled out rifle pits and cut down trees for hasty field fortifications. With no hope of reinforcements from St. . . . — Map (db m35690) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — Canning Factory

January 1936, Tom Farish & Joe Steele started building a canning factory using a lot of donated labor. The first run of green beans was June 26, 1936, tomatoes July 22, 1936, followed by spinach and other products later on.

After Tom Farish . . . — Map (db m93283) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — Evaporator Near Railroad Track

This evaporator dried apples over wooden racks with wood fired furnace heat. After drying, the peeled, sliced apples were sprinkled with powdered sulphur as a preservative. They were shipped out in big barrels by railroad cars. This work was . . . — Map (db m93259) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — Lowell Postal Service

The earliest postal area was at Cross Hollows. Records show the Bloomington Post Office was changed to Lowell, March 9, 1881 with Paul F. Lewis, Postmaster. Insets show a 1900 Post Office building on North Jackson Street. The one next door to . . . — Map (db m93274) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — Old City Jail

Location: West of the railroad tracks on Lincoln Street between McClure & Monroe, almost directly across from Allen Canning Company Warehouse. It was about 12' x 12', made of native stone, cemented together. One small window on the north side . . . — Map (db m93282) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — Original Site of Bloomington (Mudtown) Arkansas
Front Mar. 20, 1839 Trail of Tears Mar. 8, 1847 Robinson's Crossroads First Post Office Feb. 5, 1858 Name changed to Bloomington Sept. 18, 1858 Butterfield Stage Stop to 1861 Dec. 9, 1862 Civil War Skirmishes Aug. 24, 1864 "Camp . . . — Map (db m33712) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — Rev. James M. Ingram(abt. 1826 - Sept. 4, 1870)
James Miller Ingram was a captain in the Confederate 6th Provisional Cavalry Partisan Rangers. Years after the war ended, as a self-taught minister he went to preach at a church and was murdered - shot in the back by 19 year old John M. Stone. . . . — Map (db m68790) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — The Bank of Lowell

Humphrey Barr, brother of Mrs. L. P. Davis, was an early banker. We know Henry Neal was the banker in 1918. He loaned Elza Tucker's mother $75 to buy a family sewing machine. He charged 10% interest and had a loan limit of $100. Elza has the . . . — Map (db m93279) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — The Butterfield Stagecoach RoadEstablished 1858
This marker, set on the Butterfield Stagecoach Road, is placed near the spot where the trail crossed the east-west road between Huntsville and the Robinson settlement in western Benton County. John Robinson, a Revolutionary soldier, settled here . . . — Map (db m68781) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — Train Depot

The St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad was established in 1881. Lowell was a village at that time. The 1889 Goodspeed's History of Benton County says greens, fruits, poultry, timber and railroad ties shipped extensively from the depot. . . . — Map (db m93263) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Maysville — Battle of MaysvilleOr the Battle of Old Fort Wayne
Occured on Oct. 22. While Gen. James G. Blunt was encamped on the old Pea Ridge battlefield, word came that Gen. Douglas H. Cooper and Col. Stand Watie's Indian regiment were at old Fort Wayne across the line from Maysville. On Oct. 20 he advanced . . . — Map (db m52281) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Maysville — Camp Walker
This camp was established in June, 1861, by Brig. Gen. Nicholas Bart Pierce, a Benton County man, to train recruits from Western Arkansas and the Indian Nation. He was a West Point graduate. Many Arkansas units, Greer's Texas regiment, . . . — Map (db m77950) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — All Vietnam Veterans MemorialIn Memory Of
This memorial was erected in memory of the young individuals who went to war as kids and lost their youthful dreams, and some their lives, for a cause - freedom and honor - and came back as men with the horrors of war instilled in every fiber of . . . — Map (db m62588) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — Arvest Bank

The American National Bank built a new building on this corner in 1962. Prior to that year, it was located at 114 S. First Street and was the only bank in Rogers from 1931 until 1956. The bank was under the leadership of T.E. Harris, and his . . . — Map (db m93332) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — Cross Hollows
This post office was established in 1843. Nov. 29, 1861, Gen. Ben McCulloch moved his army into winter quarters here. Numerous, large, two-room, plank barracks were built in two rows facing each other, extending eastward more than a mile. Ten or . . . — Map (db m68788) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — Cross Hollows
This site was donated to the Benton County Historical Society by Scarlett Biggs Wilson and Lara Wilson Rosenblum in honor of their parents/grandparents, Guy and Nell Biggs, early pioneers of the Cross Hollows area. Cross Hollows is recognized for . . . — Map (db m68789) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — Daisy Airgun Museum[Juhre Building]

Charles Juhre built this building in 1894 for the Rogers Grocery Company. In 1900, the building was occupied by the J.W. Ford Grocery and Feed Store. In 1918, McGill's Drug Store was here and then, in 1925, it became The Corner Drug Store, . . . — Map (db m93335) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — F-101B Voodoo
USAF Century Series aircraft flown by active interceptor squadrons, the Air Defense Command, and the Air National Guard from 1959 - 1983. The Voodoo is well known for its NATO role as a nuclear deterrent during the Cold War. The RF-101 . . . — Map (db m62520) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — First United Methodist ChurchA.O. Clarke, Architect — Built 1908

This building is a pinnacle of A.O. Clarke's interweaving use of limestone and brick, Romanesque arches, and stained glass window detail. In 1996, the historic sanctuary was renovated and is one of the highlights of the church. The trademark . . . — Map (db m93331) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — Harris Baking Company1936

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m93328) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — Historic Rogers Post Office Building1919

This building constructed in 1918-19 cost a total of $75,000 including the site, furnishings, and fixtures. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it served as the U.S. Post Office for Rogers for over four decades. These 1918 . . . — Map (db m90744) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — 83 — Van Winkle's Mill

Peter Van Winkle’s saw mill cut lumber for Confederate soldiers’ winter quarters at Cross Hollow and Oxford Bend in early 1862. Gen. Earl Van Dorn’s Confederates used the mill to grind corn after their March 1862 defeat at Pea Ridge, and . . . — Map (db m90738) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — Victory Theater

The Rogers Victory Theater Opened Monday, December 5, 1927, to a packed crowd of 750. First Production: "American Beauty" Notable Performers Over the Years: Will Rogers, Conway Twitty Designed by A.O. Clarke Built by John Myler . . . — Map (db m90740) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — War Eagle Mill1832 ~ 1838 ~ 1873 ~ 1973
In 1832, Sylvanus Blackburn left Tennessee with a wagon and four oxen, and came to the War Eagle River valley in Arkansas. He spent the winter building a log home and clearing the land of his homestead. He brought his wife from Tennessee the next . . . — Map (db m50367) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — War Eagle Mills Farm
The Ozark Arts and Crafts Fair was founded on War Eagle Mills Farm by Lester and Blanche Elliott and friends in October 1954 for the purpose of giving recognition to Ozark artists and craftsmen who work with their hands and hearts to preserve the . . . — Map (db m52066) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), War Eagle — War Eagle Mills
Sylvanus Blackburn came to the War Eagle in 1832. By 1838 he had a saw mill, a grist mill, and a house. Peter Van Winkle came about 1850. By 1860, this was a thriving crossroads. March 8, 1862, Generals Van Dorn and Price, retreating from the . . . — Map (db m19492) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — "Mud" Street and "Underground Eureka"

Professor KALKLOSCH’s Guidebook, published in 1880, states: “The first street of the town was surveyed down the gulch below the spring. A broad avenue connects this street with the famous EUREKA BASIN SPRING. It being the first street it . . . — Map (db m79755) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — 85 South Main Street

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m90670) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — A Timeless PlaceUpper Spring

The buildings, the bluffs, the spring and The Boulevard all make this a special place in Eureka Springs which has kept a peaceful beauty of earlier times.

The front of the McLaughlin Block has changed little since it was built in . . . — Map (db m80138) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Avarana

Resort home built 1899 by William Henry Reid of Chicago. Architect Theodore C. Link of St. Louis. Design reflects simplicity favored at end of Victorian era. Upper floors are wood with verandas on four sides. Lower floor is Beaver Limestone. In . . . — Map (db m80118) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Bank of Eureka Springs

Bank of Eureka Springs was established in May, 1912, in the Klock and Clark Building at 75 Spring Street. In 1946 it was relocated to 40 Spring Street.

In 1966, the bank purchased the McGinnis property at 70 South Main Street. The old . . . — Map (db m90573) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Bank of Eureka Springs Community Room

Ellis Murphy established Murphy's Firestone Tire Service at this site about 1923. Called "Murphy the Tire Man", his services were frequently required to patch inner tubes and repair tires for hundred[s] of automobiles bringing tourists to . . . — Map (db m90706) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Calif SpringSouth Main

Calif Spring was originally called Table Rock Spring, named for the rock formation above the spring area. This area was set aside as a spring reservation in 1886 by City Ordinance. S. L. Calif established a residence and general store next to . . . — Map (db m90703) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Carnegie Library

This is one of only four free public libraries in Arkansas funded by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. It was built of native limestone and completed in 1912 on this site which was donated by Eureka Springs resident Richard C. Kerens. The . . . — Map (db m80137) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Chandler Mall Buildings

Richard H. James and Charles S. Beck built the three story brick and limestone Beck and James Building in the year 1888 to house a clothing and apparel store.

F. H. and Avarilla James and their family resided in the upper rooms and C. S. . . . — Map (db m79738) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Citizen's Bank Building

Ornate brick and limestone structure built after Great Fire of 1888 for Citizen's Bank established 1887 by J.T. Waddell. The bank failed in 1907. First National Bank occupied building until 1931 when it failed due to Great Depression. Bank of . . . — Map (db m79736) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — 18 — Civil War Healing
The Eureka Springs area's reputation as a health resort has its origins in the Civil War. Late 19th-century accounts claim Dr. Alvah Jackson treated sick and wounded soldiers during the war. In early 1865, Maj. J. W. Cooper, who led Confederate . . . — Map (db m59967) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Clayton-Becker House

Crescent Cottage on the National Register of Historic Places

Built in 1881 Home of Powell Clayton, the first governor of Arkansas after the state was readmitted to the Union following the War Between the States

Owners . . . — Map (db m80139) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Crescent Spring and Trail

Crescent Spring was revered for its healing waters almost as much as the basin, the legendary Indian Healing Spring. Situated beside the Wagon Road on a hillside with a rocky outcropping described as "crescent" shaped, the spring was soon given . . . — Map (db m80135) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Eastview Cottage

Eastview is situated adjacent to Harding Spring on a lot originally registered by Absalom M. Thomas after the town site survey of 1879. John E. and Bell Perrin purchased the lot and residence in October, 1881, then sold to David R. and Harriett . . . — Map (db m80140) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Eureka Springs Historical MuseumEstablished 1971 in Calif House

This three-story limestone building with metal-clad roof enclosing the top story was constructed in 1889 by Samuel L. Calif. For fifty years it served as a residence, general merchandise store, and boarding house. About 1948 the building was . . . — Map (db m90699) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Fire and Brick & StoneUpper Spring

The neighborhood above the current First Baptist Church burned in the Great Fire of 1883, the first of four Great Fires which destroyed most of the town's early wooden structures. New commercial buildings were built of more fire-resistant . . . — Map (db m80106) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Grotto Spring

The words "esto perpetua" emblazoned upon a stone above the entrance to Grotto Spring declare the prevailing belief that these healing waters would flow forth forever. Early townspeople discovered the spring under an overhanging rock ledge, a . . . — Map (db m80121) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Harding Spring

Named for J. Emmett Harding, a photographer who began the tradition of making photographs of people in front of the spring as souvenirs. He built a small dwelling near the spring in the summer of 1879.

In 1879, the spring was accessed by a . . . — Map (db m80151) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Kentucky House

Kentucky House Hotel established on this site 1880, Mrs. E.D. Andrews, proprietor. Building survived Great Fire 1888, disappeared by 1900. Street work 1915 created stone wall. Sharp’s Continental Oil Company gas station constructed 1928. Epley . . . — Map (db m79756) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Laundry Spring

The site of this spring was outside the area included in the 1879 survey. Known as East Mountain, this area was crowded with wood structures by 1885. The spring, which flowed from a small cave lined with projections of onyx stone, was already . . . — Map (db m80152) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Law Offices of F. O. Butt

Festus Orestes Butt was born in 1875 in Illinois just before his family moved to Carroll County, Arkansas. He became a licensed attorney before he was of legal age. The Arkansas General Assembly set aside his "disability of minority", and he . . . — Map (db m79735) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Mud Street to Main StreetNorth Main

"It being the first street in town... it was named Main Street. But owing to its low elevation and the law of gravitation, the water would find a level in the street, and as the immense travel created an abundance of mud, the street was . . . — Map (db m80153) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Spanish-American and World War Veterans Memorial
In memory of our deceased World War Veterans Western District of Carroll County In Memoriam United Spanish War Veterans 1898 — Map (db m59973) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Steam Locomotive(0-4-0)

Built in Berlin, Germany 1934, 600 millimeter gauge (24 inch) (same engines are used at Silver Dollar City). Engine was found near Orlando, Fla. in 1989. Was bought by gentleman from Switzerland and hauled to Eureka Springs same year. Plans are . . . — Map (db m80172) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Sweet Spring

This spring derived its name from early townspeople who declared the water to have a pleasant, sweet taste. The spring was originally located in the deep ravine below the present site. A long wooden stairway led from the spring to the narrow . . . — Map (db m80115) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Sweet Spring Hotel - Huntington Infirmary - Sweet Spring Home

Sweet Spring Hotel The Sweet Spring Hotel was established about 1887 at the corner of Pine Street and Spring, then known as Rice Street, with A.S. Capps as proprietor. The spacious three-story frame structure was painted white with dark . . . — Map (db m80112) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Basin Bath House
Basin Bath House was established 1879 adjacent to Basin Spring by Dr. Alvah Jackson's son, Thomas. John S. Tibbs succeeded Jackson about 1880, operated bath house and Eureka Water Shipping Company. Building was destroyed by Great Fire of 1888, . . . — Map (db m59969) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Basin Park Sycamore
I stood here growing so many years, I shared your laughter, I shared your tears. My life was good, beginning to end, and this is a wish I'd like to send. Be happy and kind to all around, and let not sorrow be ever found. The spirit . . . — Map (db m59971) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Berlin WallActual 10 x 10 Section

• Between 1945-1961 2.7 million escaped East Germany • In 1960, 200,000 East Germans escaped to Freedom • Order given to build Wall - Sunday, Aug. 13, 1961 Construction began Aug. 16, 1961; completed 2 mos. later • Initially 6 ft. . . . — Map (db m80171) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Civic CenterSouth Main
These two large limestone public buildings anchor this part of downtown Eureka Springs. They span the deep ravine cut by Leatherwood Creek which flows in a tunnel beneath all the buildings on this entire part of Main Street. [Photo 1.] This . . . — Map (db m59964) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Crescent Hotel & Spa

May 20, 1886... America's newest and most luxurious hotel built at a cost of $294,000.

It was two years ago that Powell Clayton and his associates chose the site of the new Crescent Hotel... twenty seven acres at the north end of West . . . — Map (db m80116) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Perry House - Basin Park Hotel

1884 - Cutter's Guide The Eureka Springs of Arkansas The hotels and boarding houses of Eureka Springs are numerous. The Perry House is the only real first-class hotel in the city; and we say this with no disparagement of the . . . — Map (db m79733) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Railroad Depot

The Eureka Springs Railroad opened in February, 1883. As the first trains arrived at the original station house, a finely crafted wooden structure, passengers were met by horse[-]drawn carriages and hacks which quickly carried them to the best . . . — Map (db m80173) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Southern Hotel
The Southern was built in the year 1880 adjacent to Basin Spring and some 25 feet above it on the hillside. L.M. Rainey of Missouri, its original owner, sold the hotel to W. E. Beatty in 1886, at which time it was acclaimed to be one of the city's . . . — Map (db m59970) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Springs
"It is sometimes called The Basin Springs, and is invariably the first resort for visitors. If there is any one in the city you desire to find, if no other way, go to the Basin Springs, seat yourself comfortable, and await his coming." Prof. . . . — Map (db m63300) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Stone Walls
Eureka Springs claims an estimated fifty-six miles of stone walls. Skilled stonemasons constructed most of the walls between 1885 and 1910. The limestone used was sometimes quarried on site but the majority was transported to the town site by . . . — Map (db m63299) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Three Flat-Irons
The original Flat-Iron Building was constructed within sight of Basin Springs in the year 1880. It housed the town's first banking establishment and was the first structure made of brick among hundreds of wood buildings. The unusual three-sided, . . . — Map (db m63302) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Town that Water BuiltNorth Main

First by horseback, wagons or on foot, invalids from all over this region flocked to Eureka Springs in 1879 to seek cures from the miraculous healing springs. But soon there were easier ways to arrive - stagecoaches, then trains. This laid a . . . — Map (db m80211) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Western District Courthouse
Eureka Springs was incorporated on Valentine's Day in 1880. At that time, the only courthouse was in the county seat of Berryville, some 12 miles to the east. This was a great distance at the time, the roads were bad, and the King's River had to . . . — Map (db m59962) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — G18 — Chicot CountyCounty Seat
The county seat of Chicot County was located at Columbia in 1823, where it remained until 1855. The county took its name from Point Chicot, on the Mississippi. — Map (db m89773) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Chicot County Confederate MonumentCSA — 1861 - 1865
Front (West side) "To the Confederate soldiers of Chicot County, the record of whose sublime self sacrifice and undying devotion is the proud heritage of a loyal posterity." Rear (East side)   We care not . . . — Map (db m90255) WM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Col. Charles A. Lindbergh
Col. Charles A. Lindbergh Made his first night flight here April 1923 — Map (db m89780) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Colonel Charles A. Lindbergh
In April 1923 Lindbergh, then an unknown 21-year-old mail pilot, experienced engine trouble and landed his airplane on the now-abandoned golf course behind this site of the old Lake Village County Club. He remained in Lake Village overnight. During . . . — Map (db m89779) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Italian Immigrants On Sunnyside Plantation
In 1895 Austin Corbin, a New York banker and land developer, working with immigration officials brought 100 families from north central Italy to grow cotton at Sunnyside, a plantation located between the Mississippi River and Lake Chicot. These . . . — Map (db m89774) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — 79 — Lakeport in the Civil War
Side 1 When Arkansas went to war in 1861, Lycurgus and Lydia Johnson and their family stayed with their home at Lakeport. By 1862, U.S. gunboats were common on the Mississippi River, and on Sept. 6, 1862, Confederate troops burned 158 . . . — Map (db m89797) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Lakeport Plantation House
Side 1 The Lakeport Plantation house was constructed circa 1859 for Lycurgus and Lydia Taylor Johnson. The skilled craftsmanship and lasting character are testaments to those who built the house. It is preserved in remembrance of all who . . . — Map (db m90491) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — New Hope Missionary Baptist Church
Jim Kelley, a slave, organized this church in 1860. His owner allowed the use of this plot of this plot of ground on which to build a church. On May 15, 1873, Mr. and Mrs. William B. Street deeded the property to the trustees of the church. New Hope . . . — Map (db m89777) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — The Battle at Ditch Bayou
It is the morning of June 6, 1864. Rain has created a muddy mess. To your left are four cannon. To your right are 600 cavalrymen and two more cannon. These men served under Confederate Colonel Colten Greene. To your front is Ditch Bayou, and 700 . . . — Map (db m90432) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — The Casualties at Ditch Bayou June 6, 1864
The battle at Ditch Bayou was a Federal effort to drive Confederates away from the Mississippi River, where the Confederates had been harassing Union shipping. Even though the Confederates were outnumbered here, they were able to inflict heavy . . . — Map (db m90418) HM
Arkansas (Clark County), Caddo Valley — 65 — Confederate Manufacturing / The Military Road
(Side One) Confederate Manufacturing Arkadelphia was a manufacturing center for Confederate Arkansas early in the Civil War. Gen. Thomas Hindman established a powder works and an arsenal in 1862, producing guns, cannon, bullets, . . . — Map (db m96557) HM
Arkansas (Clay County), St. Francis — Chalk Bluff
Named for the white clay which resembles chalk, this magnificent bluff is one of the most important historical landmarks in Arkansas. At this point the St. Francis River cuts through Crowley's Ridge from west to east and forms the boundary between . . . — Map (db m18136) HM
Arkansas (Clay County), St. Francis — Chalk Bluff Crossing and Town
Since Crowley's Ridge provided the only natural route for north-south travel across the lowlands of northeastern Arkansas, an Indian trail and later a military road crossed the river here. About 1840 Abraham Seitz established a ferry which was later . . . — Map (db m4912) HM
Arkansas (Clay County), St. Francis — Chalk Bluff in the Civil WarRaids of March-April 1863
On March 10, 1863 Union cavalry captured the ferry after a three-hour fight. They burned buildings and stores of corn in Chalk Bluff and destroyed a large uncompleted ferry boat. Two weeks later on March 24 Union cavalry returned to Chalk Bluff and . . . — Map (db m4906) HM
Arkansas (Clay County), St. Francis — Chalk Bluff in the Civil WarBattle of May 1-2, 1863
In April 1863 a Confederate army of 5000 men commanded by General John S. Marmaduke advanced into Missouri. Forced to retreat before superior Union forces, the Confederates on May 1-2 fought a successful delaying action here while their army crossed . . . — Map (db m4911) HM
Arkansas (Clay County), St. Francis — Chalk Bluff in the Civil WarSkirmish of May 15, 1862
Chalk Bluff occupied a strategic position during the Civil War. Its cliffs commanded a vital river crossing on the only major road from Missouri into the Crowley's Ridge country. Provisions were collected here and shipped downstream to Confederate . . . — Map (db m18186) HM
Arkansas (Conway County), Plummerville — 100 — Conway County in the Civil War / Murder of John Clayton
Side 1 Conway County in the Civil War Conway County men served in both the Union and Confederate armies in the Civil War. Co. I, 1st Arkansas Mounted Rifles, Co. B, Carroll’s Cavalry, Co. I, 36th Arkansas Infantry, . . . — Map (db m96451) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — A-23 — Albert Pike School HouseCrawford County — 1836 – 1936
In this small log building Albert Pike noted lawyer, poet and mason taught school in 1832. He later went to Little Rock to become editor of the Advocate. — Map (db m96857) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — Courthouse
The companies of soldiers that came out of Van Buren were formed at this historic landmark. It is also the site where some infantry and Calvary units camped and drilled. There were nine different companies that were formed in Crawford County. . . . — Map (db m96864) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — Crawford County War Memorial
On this lawn was erected our first Courthouse in 1841 and has been the scene for many events during the wars in which Crawford County boys fought. Mexican War, 1846. War Between the States, 1861-1865. Spanish American War, 1898. . . . — Map (db m96859) WM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — Fairview Cemetery
The Battle of Prairie Grove was a grim moment for the Confederate Army. This conflict severed all chances for the South to use Northwest Arkansas as a route to invade Missouri. The shattered and defeated soldiers retreated from Prairie Grove to Van . . . — Map (db m96617) HM WM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — Fairview Cemetery Confederate Memorial
Erected in memory of our Confederate soldiers from Ark., Tex., La., Mo., and Indian territory, who lost their lives in the Battles of Oak Hill, Elk Horn, and Prairie Grove. — Map (db m96632) WM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — First Three U.S. Deaths in WWI
In memory of Merle D. Hay Thomas Enwright James B. Gresham They were the first members of the Expeditionary Army of the United States in France to die that we might live stricken on the field of glory, November 3, . . . — Map (db m96633) WM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — Log Town Hill
The residents of Log Town were witness to the retreat of the Rebel army through Van Buren and onward through their settlement. High on Log Town Hill the community watched as masses of Southern soldiers crowded the hill trying desperately to reach . . . — Map (db m96614) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — The Butterfield Stage Route
The Butterfield stage route between Saint Louis and San Francisco passed through the main street of Van Buren, Arkansas and crossed the river at this point. — Map (db m96457) HM
Arkansas (Drew County), Monticello — F-17 — Drew CountyCounty Seat
Drew County, named for Governor Thomas S. Drew, was organized in 1845 and Monticello was laid out in 1849 as the county seat. Many pioneer families whose sons and daughters became prominent in the affairs of State and Nation lived here. — Map (db m85085) HM
Arkansas (Drew County), Monticello — 91 — Drew County Troops
(side 1) Sixteen Confederate companies were raised in Drew County during the Civil War. Two, the "Confederate Stars" and "Selma Rifles," joined the 3rd Arkansas Infantry and fought with the Army of Northern Virginia. Three, the "Cut-off . . . — Map (db m85087) HM
Arkansas (Drew County), Monticello — Monticello Confederate Monument
To the Confederate Soldiers of Drew County. 1861—1865 Furl that banner! True, 'tis gory, yet 'tis wreathed around with glory, and 'twill live in song and story, though its folds are in the dust. Father Ryan . . . — Map (db m85093) WM
Arkansas (Drew County), Monticello — Walls of WarDrew County Veterans Memorial
Erected by the citizens of Drew County in honor of all who served or who may serve and dedicated to those who gave their lives that we might be free. Veterans Day 1988. World War I B.C. Bast, George F. Cater, Chisley Garrison, Forrest . . . — Map (db m85089) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — 450th Commemoration De Soto Expedition1541 – 1991
. . . — Map (db m96641) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — Cadron Blockhouse
The blockhouse is a replica of a structure that was built on this site in the late 18th century. The building was a multiple use structure, but constructed originally for defense purposes. It was used as a trading post, as a residence, and as a . . . — Map (db m96645) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — 82 — Cadron in the Civil War
Confederate forces used Cadron as a base in the war’s early years, and Union troops were here after taking Little Rock in September 1863. The site was valuable for the saw and grist mills nearby, the telegraph line that ran to Little Rock, and the . . . — Map (db m96452) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — Cherokee Memorial
Following is a partial list of persons who died and were buried at Cadron. They perished from cholera while being relocated by the Army in 1834. Graves were marked with native stones with no inscriptions. Some of the Indians had adopted . . . — Map (db m96643) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — An American SpaHot Springs National Park
Bathhouse Row is the historic heart of an American spa. Since the 1830s the city of Hot Springs has channeled much of its energy into becoming a national health resort. The Federal Government made “taking the waters” available to all by . . . — Map (db m61775) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Bathhouse RowHot Springs National Park
The buildings along Bathhouse Row are the latest stage in a succession of bathhouses. In the 1830s Hot Springs’ earliest facilities were makeshift shelters perched over individual springs. Later, elaborate Victorian bathhouses flourished along the . . . — Map (db m61774) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Buckstaff BathhouseHot Springs National Park
From its opening the handsome Buckstaff Bathhouse aggressively promoted its image. To gain customers the owners mounted a huge sign on the roof to attract people from the large hotels a block away. Other bathhouses lost character as they modernized, . . . — Map (db m61793) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Fordyce BathhouseHot Springs National Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
Inspired by the spas of Europe, Colonel Samuel Fordyce opened this Renaissance Revival bathhouse in 1915. With its copper-framed glass marquee and elegant window design, the Fordyce reflects a crowning achievement of the Golden Age of Bathing. Its . . . — Map (db m61771) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Hollywood CemeteryEntrance presented by National Society Colonial Dames
Presented by Arkansas Col. John Washington Chapter, National Society Colonial Dames, XVII Century, honoring War Veterans, Early Pioneers, 1998 — Map (db m61770) WM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Lamar BathhouseHot Springs National Park
The present masonry Lamar Bathhouse, completed in 1923, has a symmetrical, California style of architecture. The large lobby contains nostalgic murals of historic landscapes, and country scenes. Art Deco stairs, signs, and lights decorated the . . . — Map (db m61777) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Ozark BathhouseHot Springs National Park
The mission style of the Ozark Bathhouse may relate to the claim that Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto visited the hot springs. The building’s twin towers are strictly decorative. On Bathhouse Row, the Quapaw, the Fordyce, and Hale Bathhouses, with . . . — Map (db m61794) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Quapaw BathhouseHot Springs National Park
The Caddo, Quapaw, and Choctaw tribes lived in or visited the area during the 1700s and 1800s. This edifice pays homage to their lasting influence. The owners named the bathhouse for the Quapaw Indians, and incorporated an Indian head design over . . . — Map (db m61795) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Leola — Battle of Jenkins' Ferry
Erected in memory of the soldiers of the Confederacy, who gave their lives for the cause at the Battle of Jenkins Ferry, April 30, 1864, Dedicated September 19, 1928, by the James F. Fagan and Jenkins Ferry Chapters of the United Daughters of the . . . — Map (db m37303) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Leola — Red River CampaignBattle of Jenkins' Ferry
Tablet #1 Jenkins' Ferry State Park Act 10 of 1961 authorized this 37-acre state park as a commemorative site and recreation area. The park includes the ferry site where you are standing. The ferry was operated by the Jenkins' family . . . — Map (db m37304) HM
Arkansas (Hempstead County), Hope — William Jefferson ClintonFirst Home of the 42nd President of the United States
Dedicated March 12, 1999. Mike Huckabee Governor, Jim Hill State Senator, Sandra Rodgers State Representative. Major Benefactors-Century Tube, Inc, Swepco, Entergy, Sanyo Manufacturing Corp, Future Tech Intel, Nina Wang, Ben & Martha Bryant, Nissan . . . — Map (db m61796) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — F - 32 — Arkansas Methodist ConferenceIndependence County
The Arkansas conference of the Methodist Church, created 1836, composing Arkansas and parts of Louisiana and Indian Territory, held its first session November 2, 1836 in Batesville at corner of Main and Broad Streets. Bishop Thomas Morris presided. . . . — Map (db m70559) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — 14 — Batesville During The Civil War
Union soldiers occupied Batesville twice during the Civil War. Gen. Samuel Curtis's Army of the Southwest camped near this site in May 1862 while threatening Little Rock. Union troops were impressed with the town's culture and appearance, saying . . . — Map (db m70557) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — F 2 No. 1 — Independence County First County Court House
The town of Batesville was selected as the county seat and the first county court house built in 1821, a year after the county was organized. — Map (db m66720) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — Independence County Office and Library
This building was constructed in 1904 by the federal government for the U.S. Post Office and the Batesville division of federal court for the Eastern District of Arkansas and was in use by federal agencies until 1974 when a new building was built a . . . — Map (db m70558) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — Lafferty Memorial Church
Lafferty disbanded in 1969 and its members requested the church at 8th and Neeley be sold and funds divided between Philander Smith College and the First United Methodist Church of Batesville. The known history of Lafferty, organized in the . . . — Map (db m70560) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — Pfeiffer Community
A light-colored crystalline limestone known as Batesville marble has been mined in this area since 1836 and most of the material used in the Arkansas State Capitol under construction from 1899 to 1915 originated here. Pfeiffer was also a railhead . . . — Map (db m85504) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — Auguste La noir de Serville
To honor Auguste La noir de Serville Hero of the American Revolution French Marine served under Count de Grasse Wounded Yorktown, VA Oct. 14, 1781 Died Jefferson Co. Ark. Dec. 30, 1828 — Map (db m30579) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — Barraque Street
This street was named for Antoine Barraque (1773-1858), native of France, soldier of Napoleon, and one of this area's earliest settlers. Founder of New Gascony in this county, he was a man of property and Indian sub-agent. Trusted and liked by the . . . — Map (db m30577) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — Battle of Pine Bluff
During the morning and early afternoon of October 25, 1863, Colonel Powell Clayton commander of federal troops occupying Pine Bluff, successfully repulsed a three-pronged confederate attack of forces of General John S. Marmaduke. Cotton bales . . . — Map (db m30578) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — Bayou Bartholomew
Beginning 10 miles northwest of Pine Bluff, this storied bayou flows 300 miles through 6 Arkansas counties and 2 Louisiana parishes before emptying into the Ouachita River in north Louisiana. Indian mounds dotted its banks. Immigrants travelled it . . . — Map (db m30581) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — 1 F 6 — Jefferson County First Court House
The first court house in Jefferson County created in 1829 and named for President Thomas Jefferson was erected on this site at (Pine Bluff) in 1833. Meanwhile, sessions of the county court had been held first at the house of Joseph Bonne and second . . . — Map (db m30580) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — Joseph Bonne Cabin
In 1818 a French trapper, Joseph Bonne landed on the south bank of the Arkansas River with his dog and gun near the location of the original Jefferson County Courthouse. Driven to this high bluff after flood waters had threatened his homesite at . . . — Map (db m30576) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — Joseph Carter Corbin1833-1911
In 1875, Joseph Corbin the son of former slaves, became the founder and principal of Branch Normal College (now UAPB) where he served until 1902. A profound mathematician, outstanding musician, linguist, and holder of bachelor and masters degrees . . . — Map (db m70701) HM
Arkansas (Johnson County), Clarksville — 103 — Clarksville in the Civil War / Depredations
Side 1 Clarksville in the Civil War Clarksville was a key point in the defense of the Arkansas River Valley during the Civil War. Confederate troops occupied the town several times before Union forces took Little Rock . . . — Map (db m96447) HM
Arkansas (Johnson County), Clarksville — C-23 — Johnson County First Anthracite Coal
The first anthracite coal was mined near here on the land of E.B. Alston by a Mr. Walker in 1840. Sample of coal were taken to Little Rock and examined by William E. Woodruff, who pronounced it superior to that found in Pennsylvania. Mr. Walker went . . . — Map (db m96638) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Carlisle — 90 — Action at Ashley's Station
On Aug. 24, 1864, Confederate Gen. J.O. Shelby and his men, wearing captured Union uniforms, attacked a series of forts protecting hay-cutting operations between modern-day Carlisle and Hazen. Confederate artillery blasted the forts held by the 54th . . . — Map (db m96453) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Carlisle — William H. FullerFather of the Arkansas Rice Industry
In 1897 on the NW 1/4 Sect. 8 1N 7W Fuller planted the first rice on the Grand Prairie. The venture failed. Having learned about rice production in Louisiana, he returned for more information. In 1903 he returned to Lonoke County. The citizens of . . . — Map (db m96636) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — A Gun for All Reasons3-inch Gun was light, accurate and lethal
The 3-inch Ordnance Rifle was also known as the ordnance rifle, the ordnance gun, the Griffen gun, and was sometimes erroneously referred to as the Rodman rifle. The gun was invented by John Griffen, superintendent of the Safe Harbor Iron Works in . . . — Map (db m65711) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — 16 — Hicks' Station in the Civil War
Hicks' Station, located on the Memphis & Little Rock Railroad between DeValls Bluff and Huntersville (N Little Rock), guarded the eastern approaches to the capital city. During the Little Rock Campaign, Confederate cavalry used it as a staging area . . . — Map (db m72142) HM WM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — Lonoke County Confederate Monument
West Side Below an image of two crossed flags and the dates 1861-1865 In memory of our Confederate Soldiers North Side Erected by the T.C. Hindman Chapter U.D.C. Lonoke, Ark. East Side Lonoke County commends the . . . — Map (db m65714) WM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — Lonoke Landmarks
Joseph Taylor Robinson Home - 204 NE Front St. Practiced law in Lonoke - 1893-1912 U.S. Congressman - 1902-1913. Governor of Arkansas - January - March 1913. U.S. Senator - 1913-1937. Lonoke was named for lone oak tree, surveyor's landmark for . . . — Map (db m65710) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — F 25 — Senator Joe T RobinsonLonoke County
Senator Joseph Taylor Robinson, Arkansas' outstanding statesman was born six miles northwest of this place in 1872. He lived in Lonoke and practiced law; was elected to Congress and served ten years; moved to Little Rock in 1912; served as Governor . . . — Map (db m65713) HM
Arkansas (Marion County), Yellville — Double Turbine Water Wheel
Used to power the Hollinsworth Grist Mill on Little North Fork River in North Fork Township of Marion County. Mill was built by Robert and Lemuel Hollinsworth in 1885 and operated until 1933.

This Leppel or double turbine water wheel and . . . — Map (db m93812) HM

Arkansas (Marion County), Yellville — Marion CountyFirst County Seat
Marion County, created in 1835, was first named Searcy County. In 1836 its name changed to Marion by the first state legislature. That same year Yellville was laid out as a town and made the permanent seat of county government. The county . . . — Map (db m93803) HM
Arkansas (Miller County), Rondo — 7 — Confederate Records Stored at Rondo
When Gen. Frederick Steele's Union army invaded southwest Arkansas in April 1864, threatening the Confederate state capital at Washington, Gov. Harris Flanagin moved the state archives to Rondo, where they were deposited in James Abraham's store. . . . — Map (db m96022) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Gosnell — Brave Men from the 97th Bombardment Wing
To honor the memory of these brave men from the 97th Bombardment Wing at Blytheville Air Force Base who did not return after their B-52 aircraft was shot down over Hanoi, North Vietnam in December 1972 Col. Keith R. Heggen Lt. Col. Donald L. Rissi . . . — Map (db m24056) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Manila — Herman DavisPvt. Co. I 113th Inf. — Sharpshooter and Company Runner
Enlisted March 14th 1918; Honorably discharged May 29th 1919 Cited for bravery for extraordinary heroism in action and decorated with: U.S. Distinguished Service Cross: Oct. 10th 1918 French Croix de Guerre with Palm: Apr. 19th 1919 Gilt Star . . . — Map (db m30388) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Albert King
Moving to Osceola with his family at age 8, Blues legend Albert King (1923-1992) earned an early living picking cotton on nearby farms. King began his magnificent professional career in Osceola with his group, In The Groove Boys. King's T99 Club, . . . — Map (db m36412) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Bank of Osceola
Built in 1909, the Bank of Osceola shared this building with various enterprises over the years, including a cotton brokerage firm and small movie theater. While much of the original architecture remains intact, four circular stone profiles of . . . — Map (db m36670) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Battle of Plum Run Bend
On May 10, 1862, Confederates defeated the Union navy in one of only two Civil War gunboat fleet engagements on the Mississippi River, ramming and sinking two Union ironclads, Cincinnati and Mound City. A reinforced Union armada routed the . . . — Map (db m36320) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Billy Lee Riley
Billy Lee Riley began picking cotton at age 7 on the Jacksonville plantation in Osceola. Influenced by local bluesmen, Riley became a 1950s rockabilly star, recording his first hit, Flyin' Saucers Rock & Roll, at Sun Studios. Retiring from music . . . — Map (db m36420) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Calvary Episcopal Church
Built in 1902, the Calvary Episcopal Church is one of the oldest still in use in the county, serving many farmers, laborers, and professionals along the Cotton Highway for over a century. The bell tower and main entrance formerly resided on Hale . . . — Map (db m36704) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Confederate Veterans of Mississippi County
1861 - 1865 In memory of the Confederate Veterans of Mississippi County erected A.D. 1934 United Daughters of the Confederacy Elliott Fletcher Chapter Bytheville Arkansas — Map (db m36531) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Coston Building
Built in 1915, the ground floor of this building once housed a barber shop and, later a hardware store. J.T. Coston, a Vanderbilt-educated attorney representing R.E.L. Wilson's farming interests, maintained his offices upstairs and was instrumental . . . — Map (db m36453) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Drug Store
This corner building has been home to a drug store dating back to 1913. Once a two-story building with an elevated parapet and cornice, a fire in the early 1960s destroyed the second floor. The building's longest-running occupant is Newcomb's Drug . . . — Map (db m36669) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — East Hale Storefronts
The potential for commerce related to cotton payrolls attracted a robust cadre of Jewish merchants to Hale Avenue in the early 1900s. Harwarg's opened in "Old Town" before moving to "New Town," followed by Beehive's, Nickol's, and Weinberg's. . . . — Map (db m36668) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Florida Brothers Building
Thomas J. Florida established the Florida Brothers Company in 1926, supplying farm and home loans to families along the Cotton Highway. Mr. Florida built this Art Deco-influenced structure in 1935, featuring Indiana limestone. The building . . . — Map (db m36612) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Jimmy "Popeye" Thomas
Osceola native Jimmy Thomas split his youth working in cotton fields and playing local juke joints. As a teenager, he joined Ike Turner's Kings of Rhythm as lead singer, later performing with the Ike and Tina Turner Review. Settling in London, . . . — Map (db m36419) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Mark Twain's Plum Point Landing & Overlook
Mark Twain referred to Osceola as "the famous and formidable Plum Point" in his book, Life on the Mississippi, as well as other writings. First established in 1837 as Plum Point, Osceola was incorporated in 1853. From this vantage point, one could . . . — Map (db m36301) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Mississippi County Bank
In a spot once home to the Mercantile Opera House, this Classical Revival-style building was built in 1936 as Mississippi County Bank, showcasing Italian marble and rich wood throughout. Continuing to finance farming interests, First National Bank, . . . — Map (db m36610) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — J 2 — Mississippi County Court House
The county seat of Mississippi County, created in 1833, was located at Osceola in 1836. Since about 1900 the county has maintained another court house at Blytheville for the northern district. The county was named for the great river which flows . . . — Map (db m36489) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Mississippi County CourthouseOsceola
This Neoclassical Courthouse was built in 1912 on land donated by Judge W.J. Driver. Constructed of unusual brick, the building features a flat roof supporting a copper dome with large concrete terra cotta decorations and round polished inserts on . . . — Map (db m36434) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Mississippi River Levee
Floods of 1927 and 1937 overwhelmed eastern Arkansas, destroying cotton crops and countless homes. To prevent future loss of life and economic devastation, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the St. Francis Levee District built an extensive levee . . . — Map (db m36330) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Old Bell Telephone Building
Built in 1911 by a local attorney, R.C. Rose, as Osceola's first telephone office, the building features two louver-covered windows, a cornice dividing the two floors and two square pilasters with corbelled brick separating the upper 8-over-8 . . . — Map (db m36707) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Osceola Hornets
Upon the Civil War's outbreak, Capt. Charles Bowen raised a company known as the "Osceola Hornets," participating in the battles of Belmont and Shiloh. Initially 100 strong, only seven returned. During Reconstruction, Bowen was instrumental in . . . — Map (db m36328) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Patterson Store
Established in 1904 the Fred G. Patterson Store was famous as a general mercantile, specializing in shoes and cotton pick sacks. A shoe at the entrance indicated the store was open for business. In 1993 the family donated the buildings for use as a . . . — Map (db m36425) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Planters Bank Building
The Neo-Classical style 1920 building, designed by noted architect Uzzell Branson, originally housed Citizens Bank, then, First State Bank, a mercantile store, and City Hall. A citizens group, including Congressman W.J. Driver, opened Planters Bank . . . — Map (db m36702) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Reggie Young
Called the most prolific session guitarist of all time, Reggie Young grew up along the Cotton Highway in Osceola in the 1940s. Joining a multitude of famous artists, such as Johnny Cash, Elvis Presely, the Beatles, and Willie Nelson, Young has . . . — Map (db m36409) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Sans Souci
The 10,000-acre Sans Souci plantation established in 1854 by John Harding McGavock, served as a Civil War hospital as the Union fleet docked across from the home. In addition to farming cotton, much acreage was devoted to hunting deer, bear, and . . . — Map (db m36298) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Son Seals
Osceola native Frank "Son" Seals (1942-2004) began playing professionally at 13 with Robert Nighthawk, then, formed his own band at 17, touring with Albert King. Winner of three W.C. Handy Awards for best blues recording of the year, Seals' riveting . . . — Map (db m36414) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — South Mississippi County War Memorial
In Memoriam To those men from South Mississippi County who gave their lives in World Wars I & II, Korea, and Southeast Asia Lt. John McGavock Grider - PVT. William A. Charles PFC Clarence Croft - CPL. Billie W. Craine PFC Hershel Brock . . . — Map (db m36534) WM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — The Osceola Times Building
This 1901 office was the first building in "New Town," having been used continuously as a newspaper office since that time and remains the oldest and tallest commercial building in the city. The "Osceola Times," reporting on life along the Cotton . . . — Map (db m36408) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — U.S. Post Office Building
Constructed in 1915, this building served as the post office on the Cotton Highway until 1936. County Judge S.L. Gladish made sure that the Post Office contained European tiles like those used in the then-new courthouse. The building later housed a . . . — Map (db m36454) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Violet Cemetery
Violet Cemetery predates Arkansas statehood, the county, and city, with the oldest grave dating 1831. Initially secluded, the cemetery found itself in the middle of downtown as Osceola grew west because of cotton farming and manufacturing. Many . . . — Map (db m36709) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — William J. Driver
In memory of the honorable William J. Driver.Former Circuit Judge and Congressman, a lifelong citizen of Osceola, Arkansas. Born March 2, 1873. Died October 1, 1948. As a member of the Rivers and Harbors and Flood Control Committees of the Congress . . . — Map (db m36532) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Willie Bloom
Osceola's own "Sweet Man," Willie Bloom, captured Southern cotton workers' sentiment with his legendary Blues music dating back to 1918. Bloom, whose recordings included "Osceola Blues," played alongside musical giants such as W.C. Handy, Jimmy . . . — Map (db m36416) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — WPA Post Office
The Works Progress Administration built this building, dedicated on May 29, 1936, as a new post office. The structure served the citizens of Osceola and the Cotton Highway as a post office until the Postal Service relocated to Johnson Street. . . . — Map (db m36616) HM
Arkansas (Monroe County), Holly Grove — Beginning Point of the Louisiana Purchase Survey
This stone marks the base established Nov. 10, 1815 from which the lands of the Louisiana Purchase were surveyed by the United States Engineers. The first survey from this point was made to satisfy the claims of the soldiers of the War of 1812 . . . — Map (db m6037) HM
Arkansas (Nevada County), Prescott — 45 — Skirmishes at Prairie D'Ane
Gen. Sterling Price’s Confederate army held strong earthworks on the western edge of Prairie D’Ane when Gen. Frederick Steele’s Union troops approached on April 10, 1864, and dug their own trenches. After heavy fighting on the 10th, the combatants . . . — Map (db m96559) HM
Arkansas (Newton County), Deer — A Monarch ReturnsElk Along the Buffalo — Buffalo National River
What an exciting discovery to come across an elk roaming the fields and woodlands of the Buffalo River country. Once again these large members of the deer family can be found grazing or resting in clearings and open spaces. Native to the hardwood . . . — Map (db m61755) HM
Arkansas (Newton County), Deer — Boxley ValleyPreserving a Way of Life — Buffalo National River
When establishing Buffalo National River in 1972, Congress recognized the need to preserve the valley’s culture as well as its free-flowing river. Here in Boxley Valley, a traditional farm community is being perpetuated within the borders of Buffalo . . . — Map (db m61757) HM
Arkansas (Newton County), Ponca — Beaver Jim VillinesBoyhood Home — Buffalo National River
Settling Along the Buffalo Abraham Villines and his children were among the earliest pioneer families in the Buffalo River valley. Abraham’s grandson William built this log house in 1850 for his new bride, Rebecca. Four years later their son . . . — Map (db m61752) HM
Arkansas (Ouachita County), Chidester — 25 — 1st Kansas Colored Infantry
The 1st Kansas Colored Infantry, a regiment that included many former Arkansas slaves, was formed in August 1862, the first black unit recruited during the war. 1st Kansas troops were the first black men to see combat, losing 10 killed and 12 . . . — Map (db m56624) HM

399 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 149
Paid Advertisement