Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

California Historical Markers

5767 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 5567
 
1890 Seawall Marker and Ironwork Fence image, Click for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, December 8, 2012
1890 Seawall Marker and Ironwork Fence
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 1890 Seawall
This plaque marks the location of an 1890 seawall on the Alameda shoreline. Behind you are the stairs where bathers went down to the beach. The wall was built by architect Joseph A. Leonard, who constructed many homes here during the 1890s. . . . — Map (db m62215) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — Alameda City Hall
This city hall is one of oldest operating city hall buildings in the State of California. It was constructed in 1895 in the Romanesque style and has been in continual use as a city hall since its completion. Original construction: Building cost . . . — Map (db m62216) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 1 — Alameda City Hall, 1895-96
Original tower removed in phases after the 1906 earthquake. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Architect: Percy & Hamilton. — Map (db m79876) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — Alameda Lodge No. 1015
Alameda Lodge No. 1015 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks was formed by 25 Alameda residents who were members of Oakland Lodge No. 171. The Lodge was instituted on March 17, 1906 and it received its charter from the Grand Lodge on July . . . — Map (db m79864) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 440 — Alameda Terminus of the 1st Transcontinental Railroad
[Center and Main Marker:] This plaque marks the terminus of the First Transcontinental Passenger train that started in New York City and terminated at Alameda Point Pier On September 6, 1869. Erected by the U.S. Naval Air . . . — Map (db m29447) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — Alameda’s First ChurchFounded Sept. 11, 1853
as Methodist Episcopal by Rev. James McGowan In 1854 the first church building was erected on land donated Bishop William Taylor and dedicated by Bishop Matthew Simpson - the first appointed minister was Rev. David Deal, 1854-56. . . . — Map (db m79863) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — First Presbyterian Church
Organization of the First Presbyterian Church of Alameda began in 1864. By 1865, the church had 12 charter members. Traveling ministers delivered Sunday sermons until 1867 when Reverend Nash was installed as the first pastor. The first sanctuary . . . — Map (db m62217) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 3 — Historic Alameda High School
Architect; Carl Werner Builder: Cochran Boehm, Inc. Superintendent of Schools: W.G. Paden Original Cost: 1,125,000 The historic Alameda High School was dedicated on 18 August 1925, and provided for the first time a modern high school . . . — Map (db m79875) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 26 — Meyers House
The Meyers House was erected in 1897. This Colonial Revival style home was designed by and built for prominent East Bay architect Henry H. Meyers. It served as the family residence from 1897 to 1993. Meyers designed the Posey Tunnel Portals, Twin . . . — Map (db m79862) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 968 — Pan Am China Clipper
Pan American World Airways fabled China Clipper (Martin M/130 Flying Boat) left Alameda Marina on November 22, 1935 under the command of Captain Edwin G. Musick. The flight would reach Manila via Honolulu, Midway, Wake, and Guam. The inauguration of . . . — Map (db m31409) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — Prehistoric Indian Mound
One thousand feet due west was a prehistoric mound, 400 feet long, 150 feet wide, and 14 feet high. The remains of 450 Indians with stone implements and shell ornaments were found when the mound was remove in 1908. — Map (db m79861) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — The Jimmy Doolittle Pier – Alameda Naval Air StationPier No. 3
On April 1, 1942, sixteen B-25 bombers were hoisted to the flight deck of the carrier Hornet and parked there, while moored at Pier No. 3 at U.S. Naval Station in Alameda. The B-25 detachment consisted of seventy officers and one hundred thirty . . . — Map (db m29431) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — Webster House
This home built in 1854 for John Nelson Webster and Caroline Webster is Alameda’s oldest house. The house is a primary example of Gothic Revival architecture by renowned architect Andrew Jackson Downing. The house was prefabricated in New York, . . . — Map (db m78903) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — "Annie's Oak"City of Berkeley Landmark — Designated in 1986
Here a venerable oak tree was saved by Annie Maybeck (1867-1956), wife of architect Bernard Maybeck. She is said to have "marched off to city hall" to protest the cutting of native trees during street paving early in the 20th Century. She and other . . . — Map (db m18562) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — “A People’s History of Telegraph Avenue”
Mural designed by Osha Newmann, painted with O’Brien Thiele, Janet Kranzberg, Daniel Galvez and many others Painted in 1976 Restored and enlarged in 1999 City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1990 The mural on this wall was painted . . . — Map (db m54696) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Allenoke ManorCoxhead and Coxhead, Architects — 1903
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1986 Allenoke is the only large estate remaining near the northern edge of the University of California campus. It was designed by Ernest Coxhead for Allen Freeman, President of the Bank of Oakland. . . . — Map (db m53888) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — American Baptist Seminary of the West - Hobart HallCity of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1999 — Julia Morgan, Architect, 1919
This compact complex of buildings linked by a series of arcades and academic quads in the English tradition was created to house one of Berkeley's oldest seminaries. Hobart Hall, designed by Julia Morgan, is notable for its elaborate brickwork, . . . — Map (db m50801) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — American Photoplayer Co.Cooper Woodworking Buildings — 1912-1920
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1986 Over the years this complex housed Cooper Woodworking, the Sperry Flour Company, the American Photoplayer Company, and other industrial and manufacturing enterprises. American Photoplayer manufactured . . . — Map (db m53818) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Annie and Bernard Maybeck HouseBernard Maybeck, Architect — 1933
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1990 In 1901 architect Bernard Maybeck purchased ten acres of land here in La Loma Park. He built a sprawling brown shingle home for his family down the street in 1909 and subdivided the rest of his land . . . — Map (db m53862) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Armstrong College BuildingWalter H. Ratcliff, Architect — 1923
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1994 “To Inculcate the Highest Standards and Ideals in Business.” That lofty aim, incised high on the façade of this graceful Spanish Colonial building, guided Armstrong College for more . . . — Map (db m54513) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Barker BuildingA.W. Smith, Architect — 1905
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1978 James Loring Baker was an early Berkeley landowner, developer, and civic leader. He was one of the signers of the incorporation papers for the Town of Berkeley and it was he who delivered them to . . . — Map (db m54332) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Benjamin Ide Wheeler House and GardenEdgar A. Mathew, Architect, 1900 — Louis Hobart, Architect, 1911
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1986 When prominent educator Benjamin Ide Wheeler became president of the University of California in 1899, he and his wife built this spacious home. They entertained many dignitaries here, including . . . — Map (db m53890) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — 908 — Berkeley City Club
The Berkeley City Club, organized in 1927, was one of the area’s earliest attempts by women to social, civic and cultural progress. The building, constructed in 1929, is one of the outstanding works of noted California architect Julia Morgan, whose . . . — Map (db m15885) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley City HallBakewell and Brown, Architects, 1908 — City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1975
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places This was Berkeley’s City Hall from 1909 to 1977. It sits on the site of the Town Hall that burned in 1904. It remains a source of civic pride and a symbol of Berkeley. Now commonly known as . . . — Map (db m52398) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley High School Industrial Arts and Science (G and H Buildings)Henry H. Gutterson and William Corlett, Sr., Architects — Jacques Schnier and Robert Howard, Sculptors
1939-1940 City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1982 These buildings are fine examples of the Art Deco style in the Bay Area. They were designed as an ensemble with the adjacent Berkeley High School Community Theater. Bas-reliefs and . . . — Map (db m54218) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Municipal PierBerkeley History — 1926
Berkeley's original shoreline was about where Second Street and the eastern side of Aquatic Park are located today. In 1853 a private wharf was built at the foot of what is now Delaware Street, and a working waterfront with factories and piers . . . — Map (db m36487) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Municipal Rose GardenCity of Berkeley Landmark - Designated in 1995 — Vernon M. Dean, Landscape Architect - 1933-1937
The Rose Garden was a joint creation of the City of Berkeley and the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA), whose public works provided employment during the Depression. Vernon M. Dean, the City's landscape architect, designed the garden in a . . . — Map (db m18618) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Piano ClubWilliam L. Woollett, Architect, 1912
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2005 The Berkeley Piano Club, dedicated to the performance and study of music, was founded in 1893 by a group of local women. Early meetings were held in members’ homes and later in a barn at the . . . — Map (db m54726) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Public LibraryCity of Berkeley Landmark - Designated 1982
James W. Plachek, Architect, 1930 Addition, Ripley/BOORA Architects, 1999 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places Berkeley’s first free public library system was established in 1895, with branches in west and south Berkeley. The . . . — Map (db m52364) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Veterans Memorial Grove
[Marker #1] In Memory of Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice in the World War C T Vinther • J T Gimbel • A H Ohman Berkeley Parlor No 210 Native Sons of the Golden West [Marker #2] This Tree . . . — Map (db m54338) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Y.M.C.A.City of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1990 — Benjamin G. McDougall, Architect - 1910
Originating among working class Englishmen in 1844, the Young Men's Christian Association was brought to North America in 1851 to promote a "full and balanced life" through religious devotion and athletic activity. Berkeley's charter organization . . . — Map (db m50295) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Bowen’s Inn/Higgins GroceryCirca 1854 — City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1985
This building, thought to be Berkeley’s oldest remaining structure, originally stood on the Contra Costa Road, now San Pablo Avenue. Built by Captain William J. Bowen when the area was sparsely populated, it served as an inn, saloon, grocery store, . . . — Map (db m53831) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Chamber of Commerce/Wells Fargo BankWalter H. Ratcliff, Jr., Architect, 1925-27 — City of Berkeley Landmark - Designated 1984
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places For nearly a half century, this steel frame and concrete structure, clad in brick and terra cotta, was Berkeley’s only “skyscraper.” Walter Ratcliff, highly respected for his fine . . . — Map (db m52316) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Charles W. Woodworth House1905
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1993 Entomologist, naturalist, physicist, and inventor Charles W. Woodworth designed and built this all-redwood house in the Bay Region style. The three-level, seven-bedroom home has a brown shingle . . . — Map (db m54877) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Church of the Good ShepherdCharles L. Bugbee, Architect, 1878 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
This is Berkeley's oldest remaining church building and the oldest church in the East Bay still in continuous use by its founding congregation. The one-story Victorian Gothic-style building was built here on what was Bristol Street, before it was . . . — Map (db m28503) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — City Hall AnnexJamers W. Plachek, Architect — 1925
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1984 Constructed in 1925 when Berkeley’s population was growing rapidly, this building accommodated a variety of civic services next to City Hall. The Department of Milk Inspection, which assured the purity . . . — Map (db m54215) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Claremont Court Gate and Street MarkersClaremont Boulevard and Russell Street — John Galen Howard, Architect; 1906
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2005 These entry gates help define one of Berkeley’s most gracious residential areas, Claremont Court, which was designed to attract the growing number of prosperous Bay Area professionals in the early . . . — Map (db m54800) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Claremont Public ImprovementsJohn Galen Howard, Architect — 1905
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1984 Claremont, a 1905 subdivision, was originally part of the 125-acre Edson Adams ranch. Early advertisements for the tract enticed families to leave the noisy, crowded city behind and head for . . . — Map (db m54679) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Daley’s Scenic Park Street ImprovenentsBounded by Le Roy Avenue, La Loma Avenue, La Vereda Road and Hilgard Avenue — The Hillside Club and Town Engineers; 1909
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1983 In the late 1890s a group of concerned women formed the Hillside Club to “encourage artistic homes built of materials complementing the natural beauty of the Berkeley Hills.” The Club soon . . . — Map (db m53886) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Davis-Byrne Building1895 — City of Berkeley Landmark - Designated 1991
This building was originally part of the small commercial district that grew up around Dwight Way Station where Shattuck Avenue commuter trains intersected with the horse-car line that ran up Dwight Way to the California Schools for the Deaf and . . . — Map (db m29581) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Delaware Street Historic DistrictPeriod of Significance, 1854-1910 — City of Berkeley Landmark - Designated 1979
(Rehabilitated and Partially Reconstructed in 1986. William Coburn, Historic Architectural Consultant) In the 1850s, Gold Rush-era farmers and merchants began settling in this rural bayside area. Delaware Street connected Jacob’s . . . — Map (db m52299) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Don Pedro Fages Expedition
This marker designates the area where on March 27, 1772 a scientific team under the auspices of the Empire of Spain stopped on Strawberry Creek to include an observation of is now known as Golden Gate. According to Juan Crespi, diarist, the first . . . — Map (db m42034) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Edward A. Brakenridge HouseIra A. Boynton Designer & Builder (attributed), 1892
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1992 Arriving in Berkeley from Massachusetts, Edward Brakenridge bought property that extended to Rose Street for this large Queen Anne-style residence, a stable, and a carriage house. Ira Boynton, like . . . — Map (db m54512) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Elks Club BuildingWalter H. Ratcliff, Architect — 1913
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1991 Berkeley’s Elks Club, the 1002nd Chapter of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, was founded in 1905, just in time for members to assist those displaced by the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. . . . — Map (db m54262) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Ennor’s Restaurant BuildingJames W. Plachek, Architect — John P. Brennan, Builder; 1923
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2006 This reinforced concrete building with its articulated brick facade and simple classical detailing was built for Harvey and Marie Ennor at a time of energetic downtown development. They expanded a . . . — Map (db m54337) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Everett and Marie Glass HouseWilliam Wilson Wurster, Architect — 1938, 1941
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1995 The Glass House is considered one of the best residential works of Wurster, who was the founding dean of UC Berkeley’s College of Environmental Design. This simply detailed, shed roof house was built . . . — Map (db m53858) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Federal Land BankJames W. Plachek, Architect, 1938 — ELS Architects, 1999
City of Berkeley Landmark designated 1985 The Farm Credit Administration built this structure to house federal agricultural banking and financial agencies, including one of the 12 Federal Land Banks that assisted Depression-era farmers. Features . . . — Map (db m54258) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — First Church of Christ, ScientistBernard Maybeck, Architect, 1910
Roof replacement, accessibility, and seismic improvements: Architectural Resources Group and Degenkolb Engineers, 2007 City of Berkeley Landmark designated 1975 Maybeck’s masterpiece is an Arts & Craft fusion of Romanesque, early Christian . . . — Map (db m55032) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Fox CourtCarl Fox, Designer — 1927-30
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1977 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places This small-scaled complex of one-and two-story buildings is a surprise on a busy street. Arranged along a brick walkway through a garden court, . . . — Map (db m53829) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Framåt Lodge #405Sanford G. Jackson, Architect 1927 — City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1997
Berkeley’s large immigrant population in the late 19th and early 20th centuries included many natives of Sweden. The local chapter of the Swedish-American Vasa Order constructed this building as a lodge hall and cultural center. On November 8, 1927, . . . — Map (db m52386) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Frances Albrier(1898-1987) — Champion of Equal Rights and Social Justice
It was just automatic for me to stand up and tell a person, “You’re wrong. You’re mistreating me. You’re discriminatory. Why don’t you give me a chance?” Great generosity coupled with anger at injustice guided the life of . . . — Map (db m54814) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Francis Kittredge Shattuck BuildingCity of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1995
Stone and Smith, Architects 1901 Jim Novosel: The Bay Architects 1998 Berkeley’s transit pattern was established in 1876 when Francis Kittredge Shattuck and James L. Barker brought a spur line of the Central Pacific (later Southern Pacific) . . . — Map (db m52378) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Fullen Market BuildingHenry S. Patton, Builder — 1907-08
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1985 Built by a real-estate developer during the East Bay building boom that followed the 1906 earthquake, this corner store anchored the southwestern boundary of the neighborhood once known as Regents . . . — Map (db m53833) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Gilman HallUniversity of California — Berkeley, California, 1916-1917
Gilman Hall was built in 1916-17 to accomodate an expanded College of Chemistry under the leadership of Gilbert Newton Lewis. This building provided research laboratories and teaching facilities for faculty and students specializing in physical, . . . — Map (db m15870) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Golden Sheaf Bakery AnnexCity of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1978 — Clinton Day, Architect, 1905 * Jim Novosel, Architect, 2000
Listed on the National Record of Historic Places In 1877, English immigrant John G. Wright founded the Golden Sheaf, Berkeley's first wholesale/retail bakery. The original bakery, with a public dining room, stood around the corner on Shattuck . . . — Map (db m50360) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Harpoon Cannon(Whaling Gun)
The whaling gun below this plaque came off the ship; “Cody.” Gib Hunter was the Captain of the ship and was the last of the whalers to operate off the West Coast. Captain Hunter presented this whaling gun to Bud Spenger. — Map (db m52297) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Heywood BuildingCity of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1993
James W. Plachek, Architect 1917 Jim Novesel: The Bay Architects 1994 This small commercial building was built for William Heywood, son of Berkeley pioneer Zimri Brewer Heywood. The upstairs was used as the architectural offices of James W. . . . — Map (db m52382) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Hillside ClubJohn White, Architect, 1924 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2004 The Hillside Club was founded in 1898 by Berkeley women intent on preserving the natural beauty of the hills. It soon became an influential cultural force. North Berkeley’s curved streets with old . . . — Map (db m54186) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Hillside SchoolWalter H. Ratcliff, Jr., Architect, 1925 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1982 Berkeley architect and civic leader Walter H. Ratcliff, Jr. designed the Hillside School as one his last public commissions. The school takes its name from the Hillside Club, an early 20th-century . . . — Map (db m53861) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Historic McGee-Spaulding DistrictBerkeley History
The District was part of the land granted by the king of Spain in 1820 to the Luis Peralta Family. The land was later purchased from Jose Domingo Peralta by four San Francisco businessmen. In 1855, James McGee (1814-1899), a newly arrived Irish . . . — Map (db m29071) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Howard Automobile CompanyFrederick Reimers, Architect, 1930, Hayashida Architects, 2006 — Renovations for the Buddhist Churches of America, Jodo Shinshu Center
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1983 This Zig-Zag Moderne building, designed for the sale and servicing of Buick automobiles, captures the glamour, rising affluence, and sophistication of the post-World War I era. Charles Howard, who . . . — Map (db m54334) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Indian RockBerkeley History
Outcroppings of weathered rock are a prominent feature of the Berkeley Hills, providing evidence of this area’s complex geological past. Composed of Northbrae rhyolite, Indian Rock is an ancient volcanic remnant. Native Ohlone communities gathered . . . — Map (db m53852) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — J. Gorman & Son BuildingConstructed circa 1880 — Additions and renovations 1890, 1906, 1940, 2005
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1982 John and Margaret Gorman moved their furniture and upholstery shop to this location in 1880. It is one of Berkeley's oldest commercial buildings and a surviving example of the . . . — Map (db m29371) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Jensen HouseGeorge Jensen, Builder — 1891
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1996 This is one of the earliest houses built in the north Berkeley hills. George Jensen came from Denmark and was a contractor in Los Angeles before moving to Berkeley. Members of the Jensen family lived . . . — Map (db m53887) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — John Hinkel ParkClubhouse: John Gregg, Designer, 1918 — Amphitheater: Vernon Dean, Designer, 1934
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2001 In 1919 John and Ada Hinkel donated seven hillside areas to the City of Berkeley in appreciation of the Boy Scouts’ service to the nation during the First World War. Before making their gift, the . . . — Map (db m53849) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — John Muir SchoolJames W. Plachek, Architect, 1915, — Collins-Byrens & Gerson-Overstreet, 1976 & Baker/Vilar Architects, 1998
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1983 John Muir School was built beside Harwood Creek on land once part of a 19th-century country estate. The half-timbered style reflects the scale and architecture of the neighborhood and the nearby . . . — Map (db m54682) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Jos. H. McCourt / Bruno L. Putzker
In Memoriam Jos. H. McCourt 1877 – 1900 Co. F. 8th Cal Inf. U.S.V. – Co. I. 35th Inf. U.S.V. ——— Bruno L. Putzker 1880 – 1899 Btry. K. 3rd U.S. Army Berkeley men killed in action in . . . — Map (db m52400) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — La Loma StepsCirca 1910-1916
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1995 When the La Loma Park subdivision was created in 1900, the streets were laid out in harmony with the natural contours of the land as advocated by Berkeley’s Hillside Club. The rustic quality of the . . . — Map (db m53884) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Live Oak Park1914 — Berkeley History
Live Oak Park was created in 1914 when the City of Berkeley purchased four acres from landowners R.S. Penniman and Michael O’Toole. Mr. Penniman’s brown shingle house served as the park clubhouse and also, from 1916-1936, as Berkeley’s North Branch . . . — Map (db m54190) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Longfellow SchoolCity of Berkeley Landmark — designated in 1995
William C. Hays, Architect, 1922 James W. Plachek, Architect, 1930 John Reid, Jr., Architect, 1935 ELS/Elbasani & Logan Architects, 1998 As electric streetcar transportation improved and expanded in the early 20th-century, this section . . . — Map (db m53873) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Lorin Theater(Philips Temple C. M. E. Church) — City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1982
Hiram Lovell, Architect, 1910, 1914 James W. Plachek, Architect, 1921 The popularity of early movies created a demand for new spaces to accommodate eager audiences. South Berkeley’s first neighborhood theater with 144 stools for seats was . . . — Map (db m53816) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — McCreary-Greer House1901 — City of Berkeley Landmark - Designated 1986
The McCreary-Greer House and neighboring turn-of-the-century houses on this block are survivors of one of the first residential districts developed around the University campus. This house, with its original garden area and carriage house, . . . — Map (db m52300) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Morse BlockDickey and Reed, Architects — 1906
Charles Dickey, whose firm designed the Claremont Hotel and who practiced architecture extensively in California and Hawaii, designed this building with two residential floors above commercial storefronts. From 1921 to 1935 the ground floor was . . . — Map (db m52313) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Mortar Rock
Mortar Rock takes its name from the many holes worn in these hard lavas by Native American women pounding and grinding acorns and other seeds into meal. This staple food could be stored and later cooked into cakes or porridge. Native Americans . . . — Map (db m53850) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Mrs. E.P. (Stella) King BuildingAlbert Dodge Coplin, Architect — 1901
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2005 This corner store was built for Stella King’s dry goods business and upstairs residence. Until the shop closed in 1923, it was a gathering place where neighbors could find everything from sewing . . . — Map (db m54722) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — North Berkeley Congregational (Grace North) ChurchJames W. Plachek, Architect, 1913
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1999 When architect James Plachek was hired at the age of 29 to design this church, it was his first major commission in Berkeley. He later designed many public and commercial buildings, including the . . . — Map (db m54187) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — North Branch Berkeley Public LibraryJames W. Plachek, Architect, 1936
City of Berkeley Landmark Designated in 2001 North Branch Berkeley Public Library James W. Plachek, Architect, 1936 North Branch Library is one of Berkeley’s many civic buildings by James Plachek, including the Central Library (1930), . . . — Map (db m15868) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Northbrae Public ImprovementsJohn Galen Howard, Architect; R.A. Mansell, Landscape Architect 1907 — City of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1992
Berkeley's Northbrae residential subdivision was opened in 1907 by the Mason-McDuffie Company, John Galen Howard - then Supervising Architect of the University of California - designed the Circle and the stairways, benches, and stone pillars used as . . . — Map (db m36674) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Orchard LaneHenry Atkins, Designer — 1909
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1991 One of Berkeley’s romantic treasures, Orchard Lane is the formal pedestrian entrance to the Panoramic Hill residential neighborhood. The walk and grand Classical staircase, complete with pillars, . . . — Map (db m54692) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Panoramic HillListed on the National Register of Historic Places — A National Historic District
Berkeley History The Panoramic Hill Historic District typifies Berkeley’s early hillside neighborhoods. Steep and narrow Panoramic Way, carved out in 1888, opened the hill to residential development. University professors and early Sierra Club . . . — Map (db m54694) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Peet’s Coffee & TeaBerkeley History
A revolution began here in 1966 when Alfred H. Peet (1920-2007) opened his first coffee roastery and store. Arriving in San Francisco in 1955, “Mr. Peet” was dismayed by the poor quality of coffee in his adopted country. He had learned . . . — Map (db m54188) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Philadelphia Quartz CompanyFurnace Room #1 and Mixing Room — Constructed 1917-1918
Berkeley History Reflecting West Berkeley’s early industrial heritage, this plant remains one of the city’s largest brick buildings. Once used to produce chemicals for a cluster of nearby industries that manufactured soaps, cleaning agents, paper . . . — Map (db m53812) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Roos Bros. BuildingMiller and Pflueger, Architects, 1926 — City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1984
In 1876 the Central Pacific (later Southern Pacific) Railroad expanded into downtown Berkeley. What is now Shattuck Square was the site of freight yards; Berkeley Station was located on the smaller block to the south. By 1903, as the business . . . — Map (db m52384) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Rose WalkBernard Maybeck, Designer and Architect; 1913 — Henry Higby Gutterson, Architect, 1924-36
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1991 Rose Walk was designed by Bernard Maybeck and completed in 1913 with donations from the neighbors. The walkway linked the Euclid Avenue streetcar line with residences higher on the hill. After . . . — Map (db m53859) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — S.H. Kress Co. StoreEdward f. Sibbert, Architect 1933 — City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1981
Samuel H. Kress began his chain of retail stores around 1900 and soon these “five and dime” variety stores dotted downtowns across America. Kress’s own company architects designed stores of high quality and adapted them to fit into the . . . — Map (db m52380) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Santa Fe Railway DepotCharles Frederick Whittlesey, Architect — 1904
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2001 During the early 20th century, the Santa Fe Railroad provided three-day passenger and freight service between Chicago and the Bay Area. This depot was one of three major rail stations in Berkeley. . . . — Map (db m53828) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Shattuck SquareJames Miller and Timothy Pfleuger, Architects 1926 — City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1984
Shattuck Square is a group of three buildings constructed on the site of a former railroad freight yard, as a northern anchor to Berkeley’s historic downtown commercial district. It is the city’s only work by the San Francisco architectural firm . . . — Map (db m52391) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of David Park’s StudioBerkeley History
In the 1940s painter David Park (1911-1960) had a studio in a brick building that once occupied this site. Despite a well-received exhibition of his abstract expressionist works at the San Francisco Museum of Art in 1948, Park rejected abstraction . . . — Map (db m52388) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of Hunrick Grocery Store1908
City of Berkeley Structure of Merit designated in 1988 German immigrant George Hunrick built one of Berkeley’s many neighborhood groceries on this site when the north Berkeley hills were in an early stage of development. In those days before home . . . — Map (db m54189) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of John Hinkel Livery Stable, 1900Berkeley Farm Creamery Complex — F.E. Armstrong, Contractor, 1910
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1998 By 1900, downtown Berkeley had developed around Shattuck Avenue, its main street. On this site, owned by John Hinkel, stood a brick livery stable run by John Fitzpatrick, the early operator of the . . . — Map (db m54346) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of Napoleon Bonaparte Byrne House1868 — City of Berkeley Landmark
In 1858, prosperous farmer Napoleon Bryne sold his Missouri land and journeyed west with his wife Mary Tanner Byrne, four children and other relatives. Two freed slaves, Pete and Hannah Byrnes, came with the family and became Berkeley’s first known . . . — Map (db m54728) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of Pump House - Peet Brothers/Colgate PalmoliveBerkeley History
In the early 20th century, a thriving manufacturing district grew up in southwest Berkeley. This is the site of a former saltwater pump house, located on what was once the east shoreline of San Francisco Bay. The pumps supplied water used in the . . . — Map (db m54669) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of the Kellogg SchoolBerkeley History
An apple orchard, two houses, and a tailor shop once occupied this block. In 1879, six local businessmen and a university professor financed the purchase of part of the block near Oxford Street as the site for one of the city’s first public schools. . . . — Map (db m54336) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of Thousand Oaks School(Demolished in 1998) — William C. Hays, Architect, 1919; Stone and de Sanno, Architects, 1928
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1993 The residential subdivision of Thousand Oaks was incorporated into Berkeley in 1920. On this site, one year earlier, a new school building overlooking Blackberry Creek was built to replace wooden . . . — Map (db m53847) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Soda Works BuildingE.A. Spalding, Contractor 1888
Robert Agers constructed this building to manufacture "the very best soda water" for customers throughout California. The recessed storefronts, second-floor oriel windows, and high false front are all largely unchanged from a 1904 expansion. The . . . — Map (db m29383) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — South Berkeley BankWells Fargo Bank, South Berkeley Branch — John Galen Howard, Architect, 1906
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1982 In the early 20th century, this was one of two banks anchoring the busy Lorin business district’s streetcar intersection. The building remained a bank until the 1980s. Its architecture combines a . . . — Map (db m53815) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Spenger’s Fish Grottoc. 1890 — City of Berkeley Landmark - Designated in 2001
Clam chowder, baked beans and 10¢ beer – these and fish dinners drew crowds to fabled Spenger’s. It all began in the 1860s when Johann Spenger from Bavaria started fishing in the Bay. The gabled structure he built here housed his business and . . . — Map (db m52303) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Strand (Elmwood) TheaterAlbert W. Cornelius, Architect — 1914
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1982 Built as the Strand Theater in the Art Nouveau architectural style, this was one of the neighborhood’s first commercial structures. Admission was ten cents for adults, five for children and the theater . . . — Map (db m54813) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — 22 — Studio Building 1905-06City of Berkeley Landmark No. 22 — National Register of Historic Places
First home of the California College of Arts and Crafts — Map (db m52397) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Temple of WingsBernard Maybeck/A. Randolph Monroe, Architects; 1911 — Edna Deakin/Clarence Dakin, Architects; 1924
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1992 In one of Berkeley’s more eccentric experiments in living, Charles and Florence Boynton built their family residence as a version of a Greco-Roman temple with no walls. Two circular, open-air porches . . . — Map (db m53864) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — The 1923 Berkeley Fire
On the morning of September 17, 1923, a grass fire spread from Wildcat Canyon over the hills into Berkeley. Driven by hot, dry winds, the fire spread rapidly across the northeast residential districts of the city, burning as far south and west as . . . — Map (db m54213) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — The Kelsey RanchBerkeley History
On a once rural site now bordered by Russell Street, College Avenue, and Stuart Street, the Kelsey family planted orchards and grew ornamental plants on land they purchased in 1860. The 24-acre Kelsey Ranch supplied trees and plants for the grounds . . . — Map (db m54691) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — The Lawrence 37-Inch Cyclotron
This is the electromagnet for the world's first major cyclotron. With it, professor Ernest O. Lawrence and others perfected the difficult cyclotron technology. Originally a 27-inch cyclotron, it was converted to a 37-inch instrument in 1937. . . . — Map (db m91800) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — The Poetry GardenBerkeley Garden
This garden honors Berkeley’s many innovative poets, poetry presses and publications, and their creative legacy. It was dedicated in 1999 on the second anniversary of “Beat” poet Allen Ginsberg’s death. Through their writings, the . . . — Map (db m54191) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — The Shuman BlockMcDougall Brothers, Architects — 1906
Berkeley History Horse-drawn wagons once carried goods to the Berkeley Free Market housed here. In 1952 the structure was modernized to accommodate automobile showrooms, with artist studios above. Richard Diebenkorn, Elmer Biscoff, William . . . — Map (db m54333) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Thousand Oaks Neighborhood and UrnsCirca 1909-1910 — Mark Daniels, Landscape Engineer
Berkeley History In the early 1900s, the natural beauty of this undeveloped district, with dramatic rock outcroppings and ancient oaks made it a favorite destination for picnickers and hikers. After a campaign to make the area a city park . . . — Map (db m53848) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Toveri Tupa – Finnish HallAugust Trille, Designer, 1908 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1979 Toward the end of the 19th-century, a large Finnish immigrant community was located in west Berkeley. Together they constructed this wooden building which integrates traditional Finnish and American . . . — Map (db m53834) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Tupper & Reed BuildingWilliam Raymond Yelland, Architect; 1925 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1984 John Tupper and Lawrence Reed constructed this building for their music store, which they had established in Berkeley in 1906. University of California art professor Eugen Neuhaus complimented them . . . — Map (db m54507) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — United States Post OfficeOscar Wenderoth, Architect; 1914 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1980 Berkeley’s elegant Main Post Office is representative of the Second Renaissance Revival style, also called Neo-Classical Revival. Government buildings constructed in this era were designed to . . . — Map (db m54260) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Veterans Memorial BuildingHenry H. Meyers, Architect, 1928 — City of Berkeley Landmark,designated in 1985
In the early 1920s Alameda County voters approved a special tax to construct buildings that would honor war veterans and provide a meeting place for their organizations. The City of Berkeley contributed the land for this building. Designed in the . . . — Map (db m52399) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Whittier SchoolDragon, Schmidts, Hardman and Officer, Associated Architects, 1939 — Chester Bowles, Jr. and Associates, 1994
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1984 This reinforced concrete Moderne-style building replaced an 1892 wood frame school. Faculty of the original school planted the five Coast Redwoods at the southwestern edge of the school grounds. The . . . — Map (db m54192) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Workingman’s Hall1879 — Berkeley History
Originally located at Sixth and Delaware streets, this simple wooden building was constructed by volunteers from the Workingman’s Club, a west Berkeley political organization. Built as a reading room for laborers, it was used briefly as Berkeley’s . . . — Map (db m53836) HM
California (Alameda County), Castro Valley — Rowell Ranch
Once a hiding and trading place in the 1850's for the notorious bandit Joaquin Murrieta, known in California as "El Famoso," this canyon has produced many rodeos dating back to the rancho days circa 1820. Harry Rowell, originally from England, . . . — Map (db m94033) HM
California (Alameda County), Castro Valley — 776 — Site of the First Public School in Castro Valley
This site was part of the original Don Castro Land Grant. In 1866 pioneer settler Josiah Grover Brickell made a land grant of this site for “educational purposes only” and paid the teacher’s salary, who taught children by day, in a one . . . — Map (db m52091) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — 1943 Fleet City 1946Shoemaker, California
During World War II 3,396 acres were purchased for the largest naval installation in the U.S. Three navy bases sat adjacent to each other in an area known as Fleet City. Camp Parks located along Dougherty Road, The U.S. Naval Hospital among . . . — Map (db m94022) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Amador Valley Hotel(Later the Dublin Hotel)
For 86 years a favorite congregating spot. Built by John Green in 1860, with a balcony over the porch and a gabled roof. A famous cross-roads stop and transfer point on the Oakland-Stockton and Martinez-San Jose stagecoach routes intil the 1890's . . . — Map (db m59944) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Dobbel Family
Margaret Tehan Dobbel, the granddaughter of Jeremiah and Ellen Fallon. She was born in Jeremiah Fallon’s home, Dublin, 1874. She married Julius Dobbel and had 13 children. They raised cattle and sheep at Rice, Camel, Dougherty and Donlon Ranches. — Map (db m26822) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Don Jose Maria AmadorSoldier - Explorer - Pioneer - Rancher
Jose Maria Amador, born 1794 at San Francisco Presidio, spent his early years in the Mexican Army, as soldier, explorer, Indian fighter, and was later administrator at Mission San Jose. Amador was paid for his service with land, a grant . . . — Map (db m69727) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Flanagan Family
John & Katherine Donlon Flanagan from Longford, Ireland came to Dublin in 1868. In 1896 John was blinded, but continued to raise sheep and farm with the help of his wife and 3 girls, Eva, Katherine (Murphy), and Elizabeth (Nevin), who was a teacher . . . — Map (db m26785) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Heritage Park & Museums
This seven acre park is on the site of Dublin's original settlement that was established in 1850. Within the park are the 1856 Murray Schoolhouse, the 1859 St. Raymond Church, the 1880 Kolb Old House, the 1911 Kolb Craftsman Bungalow, the 1870 . . . — Map (db m59946) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Mape Memorial Park
Commander John "Jack" Clement Mape USN, was Dublin's first casualty of the Vietnam War. A 40-year old father of seven, Mape lived in Dublin and was stationed in Alameda, CA. He was assigned to Squadron VA-52 of the USS Ticonderoga in September, . . . — Map (db m69725) HM WM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Murray-Green Homes
In 1852 Irish immigrants Michael Murray and Jeremiah Fallon purchased 1000 acres of land from Don Jose Maria Amador, and on this site Murray erected his modest home in 1857. Murray sold his house to John Green, proprietor of the Green Store, whose . . . — Map (db m94035) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Norris Family
It took 6 months for Leo and Mary Jane Norris to come to California by covered wagon. In 1852 Leo purchased 10,000 acres from Don Jose Maria Amador for $20,000 and one white horse. Their lands include most of present day San Ramon Valley. Later, the . . . — Map (db m27669) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Old St. Raymond’s Church1860
The Oldest Extant Catholic Church Building In Alameda and Contra Costa Counties This land was donated as a Catholic site by Michael Murray and Jeremiah Fallon, who was one of the rescuers of the ill fated Donner Party in the Sierra. Tom . . . — Map (db m26701) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Rod R. Fallon
Son of Jeremiah and Ellen Fallon. Regarded with great respect by people of the area for his honesty and integrity. Renowned for his fine horsemanship and proficiency with the riata (rawhide rope), which sometimes was up to 70 feet in length. He . . . — Map (db m26722) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Site of the Dougherty Station Hotel
Built at the crossroads in 1862 by James Witt Dougherty where it served travelers going by stagecoach from Oakland to Stockton and from San Jose to Martinez and Sacramento. This area was named Dougherty Station from 1862 until 1878, and the hotel . . . — Map (db m69726) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Tehan Family
William born in Kilkenny, Ireland, 1845. Ellen Fallon Tehan, daughter of Ellen and Jeremiah Fallon, was a year old when she came west by covered wagon from St. Joseph, Mo., in 1846. William and Ellen’s marriage was the first in Old St. Raymond’s Jan . . . — Map (db m28612) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — The Green Store
Built in 1860 by John Green this building has been in constant use as a business building. It began as a general store, changed into a neighborhood pub, and now is a restaurant. From 1914 – 1948 the northeast corner of the building was . . . — Map (db m28578) HM
California (Alameda County), Emeryville — California & Nevada Railroad1884 – 1903
A 3 foot narrow gauge railroad starting on land owned by Joseph E. Emery, later president and founder of the City of Emeryville. The line started at 40th and San Pablo, extended through Berkeley and up San Pablo Creek to Bryant (Orinda) 23 . . . — Map (db m72398) HM
California (Alameda County), Emeryville — Key Route Terminal
This was the main terminal for the Key System Railway during World War II. The Shipyard Railway – also known as the “Pass the Ammunition” Railway – was built by the Key System for the United States Maritime . . . — Map (db m72396) HM
California (Alameda County), Emeryville — Oakland Ball Park
. . . — Map (db m72399) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — Ardenwood Historic Farm / George Washington Patterson Ranch
. . . — Map (db m28825) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776
Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza by decree of Carlos III of Spain led an expedition to this site – The mission being to colonize the San Francisco Bay Area. In the center of the marker is a circular motif, designed by Doris . . . — Map (db m26666) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — D26 — Ehrman General Store
With the discovery of gold in California, the town around the Mission San Jose became the gateway and provision center for the “49er” on his way to the Southern Mines. To meet these demands, the firm of Strauss and Co. was founded by . . . — Map (db m64904) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — Essanay Film Studio
The western branch studio of the Essanay Film Manufacturing Company stood on this site from 1913 to 1933. It was the first movie studio built for that purpose in Northern California. The Essanay company of 52 people led by movie star cowboy . . . — Map (db m63811) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — Essanay Studio SiteAmerica’s First Hollywood
Francis X. Bushman, Charlie Chaplin, Wallace Beery, Marie Dressler, Ben Turpin, Vic “Slippery Sam” Pottel and “Alkalie (sic) Ike” starred here 1910/1912. Earliest films starred Gilbert Anderson (Max Aronson) alias . . . — Map (db m64009) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — Leal Tank House
Joseph Silviera Leal and Julia Perry Leal built this tank house on their ranch in the Mission San Jose area of Fremont in 1925. The lower floor was a storage room and the upper floor a bedroom. The tank on top stored 5,000 gallons of water pumped . . . — Map (db m29090) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — 642 — Leland Stanford Winery
This winery was founded in 1869 by Leland Stanford. Railroad builder, Governor of California, United States Senator, and founder of Stanford University. The vineyard, planted by his brother Josiah Stanford, helped to prove that wines equal to any in . . . — Map (db m31398) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — 334 — Mission San José
At the Ohlone Indian village of Oroysom, Padre Fermín Francisco de Lasuén founded this fourteenth of twenty-one Franciscan missions June 11, 1797. Taught by Padre Narcisco Durán, the Ohlone Orchestra and Choir became famous. By 1830 almost 2,000 . . . — Map (db m31411) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — 490 — Mormon Pioneers / Mormon Pioneer Adobes
[Side A:] Mormon Pioneers Mormon pioneers traveled far in search of a land where they could worship God in an environment of religious tolerance. Named below are some of the pioneers who settled in Washington Township. They sailed . . . — Map (db m28707) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — 246 — Pioneer Schoolhouse & Chapel
Approximately one mile west John M. Horner built the first American schoolhouse non-Catholic chapel in Centerville, Alameda County, 1850. Said to be the first Latter Day Saint Chapel in California. A small structure with three windows in the side . . . — Map (db m26629) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — Site of First Post Office
Site of the First Post Office In Niles Established 1873 William Synder Postmaster Annual Salary $12.00 — Map (db m63809) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — The Chadbourne Carriage House
Thomas Jefferson Chadbourne and his wife Nettie built this Victorian carriage house in the 1870’s. He owned fine racing horses and stock horses and wanted them housed in suitable surroundings. They purchased the property in 1872 from Charles C. . . . — Map (db m28826) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — 46 — Vallejo Flour Mill
Site of flour mill, Niles, built 1853 by Don Jose De Vallejo, brother of General Vallejo, on his Rancho Arroyo De La Alameda. Niles was once called "Vallejo Mills". Stone aqueduct carrying water for mill parallels Niles Canyon Road. — Map (db m14801) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — Washington Hotel
Washington Hotel originally located across the street as a two story adobe building. Destroyed by the 1868 earthquake. Rebuilt on the present site in the same year. The building has served as a hotel, stage stop, state library, and present day . . . — Map (db m54668) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — World War II War Memorial
In Memory of War Heros World War II 1941 Ernest A. Azevedo Joseph T. Silveira Tony Carodza, Jr. — Map (db m26636) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — Hayward Public Library
Don Guillermo Castro, founder of the city, preserved the plaza for the enjoyment of the citizens, and in 1856 conveyed to them ownership of the land forever. This library, originally constructed on the plaza in 1951, and enlarged in 1958, was . . . — Map (db m28774) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — 1025 — Honcharenko’s Sanctuary
Along the ridge behind this panel lies a 52-acre parcel of historical significance. This farmstead known as “Ukraina” was the home of Ukrainian patriot, writer, and publisher Father Agapius Honcharenko. He and his wife Albina lived here . . . — Map (db m26499) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — I.D.E.S. Council Hayward #14Irmandade do Divino Espirito Santo — Brotherhood of the Divine Holy Spirit
A Portuguese-American fraternal benefit society receiving members of all nationalities established in the State of California in 1889 to assist widows and orphans. This local chapter, Council #14, was organized on April 23, 1898, by its founder and . . . — Map (db m94557) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — Juan Bautista de Anza Expedition Campsite #98
Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza by decree of Carlos III of Spain led an expedition to this site – The mission being to colonize the San Francisco Bay Area In the center of the marker is a circular motif, designed by Doris Birkland . . . — Map (db m28815) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — NSGW Hall - Eden Parlor No. 113Former Site
This is the former site of Eden Parlor No. 113 N.S.G.W. Hall 1890 to 1936 — Map (db m94223) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — Rancho San Lorenzo
Original site of corrals of Don Guillermo Castro and part of 26,722 acre grant of Rancho San Lorenzo made by Governor Michaeltorena, 1842. Rancho adobe stood on present site of City Hall. Castro’s wife was Marie Luisa Peralta, daughter of grantee of . . . — Map (db m41629) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — The McConaghy Estate
Built in 1886 for Neal and Sarah McConaghy, this 12 room Victorian farmhouse represents the beauty and elegance of a bygone era. Members of the family resided here until 1972. In response to community interest, Hayward Area Recreation District . . . — Map (db m94565) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — The Meek Mansion
Built in 1869 by William Meek, a pioneer of commercial agriculture, the mansion is characteristic of the affluent agricultural society of the Victorian era in California. The estate is on the site of the former Rancho San Lorenzo. This area . . . — Map (db m94558) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — The Palmtag Building
This building replaces the two-story Palmtag Building, originally constructed by Leopold Palmtag in 1892. He settled in Hayward in 1860 and served as a town trustee. The building housed various businesses, including a radio station and a drug store. . . . — Map (db m28907) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Bank of Italy Building
This granite faced building was designed in the Classic Renaissance Revival Style for the Bank of Italy in 1921. It later became the thirteenth branch of the Bank of America. From 1957-1978, this building served as Livermore's city hall. Listed on . . . — Map (db m17878) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Carnegie LibraryBuilt 1911
Livermore Public City Library 1911 to 1966 City of Livermore Historic Preservation Landmark Site Dedicated July 1996 Operated by Livermore Area Recreation and Park District Nearby Rededication Plaque reads: Andrew J. . . . — Map (db m17754) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 641 — Concannon Vineyards
Here, in 1883, James Concannon founded the Concannon Vineyard. The quality it achieved in Sacramental and commercial wines helped establish Livermore Valley as one of America’s select wine growing districts. Grape cuttings from this vineyard were . . . — Map (db m31397) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 586 — Cresta Blanca Winery
Here, Charles A. Wetmore planted his vineyard in 1882. The Cresta Blanca wine he made from its fruit won for California the first international award. The highest honor at the 1889 Paris Exposition. First bringing assurance to California wine . . . — Map (db m52090) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — D. F. Bernal BuildingBuilt Circa 1910
Constructed with bricks salvaged from the Livermore Brewery, built 1874, destroyed by fire 1908 City of Livermore Historic Preservation Landmark Site Dedicated July 1996 — Map (db m17870) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Duarte GarageBuilt 1915
Service Station and Car Dealership Situated on the Original Route of the Lincoln Highway ———————— City of Livermore Historic Preservation Site Dedicated July 1996 Operated by The . . . — Map (db m19994) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — First Presbyterian Church Memorial ChapelBuilt 1874
The First Presbyterian Church was the City's first Protestant church and an early significant religious institution of the City. Commemorated by City of Livermore Historic Preservation Commission May 2007 — Map (db m17843) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Joaquin Murrieta and Murrieta's Well
The legend of Joaquin Murrieta is one of the most enduring and fascinating of chapters in California history. Facts, fiction and romantic tales entangle to create a legend of unique aura that had become part of California's folklore, especially in . . . — Map (db m17944) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
The Laboratory opened September 2, 1952 at this site, initially as a branch of the University of California Radiation Laboratory. Prior to the Lab's opening, this 630-acre parcel was the site of Livermore Naval Air Station, a World War II pilot . . . — Map (db m25251) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Livermore Flagpole
A flagpole has anchored this site since 1905. On July 4, 2005, the citizens of this community dedicated a new flagpole. Sixty feet of the original flagpole stand in nearby Carnegie Park. Both symbolize the strength of our nation and its people. . . . — Map (db m17872) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Livermore Southern Pacific Depot
This railroad station having been located about half a mile west of the old town of Laddsville, on land owned by Wm. M. Mendenhall. Established the location of the town Livermore. The first depot was a freight car that was soon replaced by a . . . — Map (db m19993) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Livermore Town Hall Jail and Firehouse
[Upper Marker:] Built 1875, this building was first a hotel then the Livermore Valley Bank. It was the Livermore Town Hall from 1905 to 1957. The jail was in the rear, and to the left the firehouse. It was here a light bulb was lit and . . . — Map (db m19982) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Mills Square Flag PoleRaised September 9, 1905
Made from one log, originally 126 feet in length. 18 inch diameter at base, 5,300 pounds Shortened 14 feet in 1959 City of Livermore Historic Preservation Landmark Site Dedicated July 1998 — Map (db m17785) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 241 — Robert LivermoreFirst Settler of Livermore Valley
Born in England 1799 – Died Rancho Las Positas 1858; Arrived in Monterey 1822. Married Josepa Hicutera y Puentas 1830. Settled on Rancho Las Positas 1835. “Next to the Mission Padres, he was the first man to engage himself in the . . . — Map (db m31410) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Sister City Program
“The Sister City Program is an important resource to the negotiations of governments in letting the people themselves give expression of their common desire for friendship, goodwill and cooperation for a better world for all” . . . — Map (db m19970) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Tolliver Airship
Eight miles southwest of this location, in the Spring of 1904, Charles Tolliver built an airship. With an aluminum superstructure covered with 6,000 yards of rongee silk, the craft was to be 250 feet long, 40 feet wide and 44 feet high. Four . . . — Map (db m19968) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Veteran's Memorial BuildingBuilt 1931
Donated to Alameda County by Livermore Post, American Legion City of Livermore Historic Preservation Heritage Site Dedicated July 1996 Operated by Livermore Area Recreation and Park District — Map (db m17768) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 957 — Wente Bros. Winery
Here the first Wente Vineyards of 47 acres was established by C.H. Wente in 1883. In 1935 his sons, Ernest and Herman, introduced California’s first varietal wine label, Sauvignon Blanc. The efforts of the Wente family have helped to establish the . . . — Map (db m31408) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — William M. Mendenhall 1823 – 1911 / DeAnza Expedition Campsite
[Located at the Livermore Civic Center is a two-sided monument. Side 1 is a marker dedicated to William M. Mendenhall, founder of the town of Livermore. Side 2 is a marker marking this site as a campsite of the Juan Bautista de Anza Expedition . . . — Map (db m19981) HM
California (Alameda County), Mountain House — Mountain House SchoolEstablished 1893
Current site constructed 1923 Alameda County, California For the purpose of providing a continuation of essential education and learning Angelita Parlor No. 32, N.D.G.W, Livermore, California Donner Parlor No. 193, N.D.G.W., Byron, . . . — Map (db m92924) HM
California (Alameda County), Newark — Carter Brothers
Western history owes the Carter Brothers a great debt, for they were the general contractors for the first six narrow gauge railroads in California. From 1874 to 1902 they built freight, passenger, cable and street cars. Their plant became Newark's . . . — Map (db m94310) HM
California (Alameda County), Newark — Wind-Powered Archimedes Screw-Pump
Regional Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark Wind-Powered Archimedes Screw-Pump ca. 1890 Newark, California This late example of the wind-driven Archimedes screw-pump shifted brine from on salt concentrating pond to one . . . — Map (db m71365) HM
California (Alameda County), Niles — “The Bankers Building”A Fremont Bank Building
This building was originally constructed as the Niles Branch of the Bank of Alameda County. Its doors opened on Monday, September 23, 1929. The construction was considered a “new modern building” that would be “a model of . . . — Map (db m24455) HM
California (Alameda County), Niles — Completion of the Transcontinental RailroadNiles, California
“May God continue the unity of our country as this railroad unites the two great oceans of the world.” The gold spike ceremony at Promontory, Utah in May of 1869 united the tracks of the Central Pacific and Union Pacific Railroads. . . . — Map (db m24473) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — USS Oakland Mast
The ship’s mast in front of you is salvaged from the USS Oakland, an anti-aircraft cruiser – typical of many ships that received supplies sent from the Oakland Naval Supply Depot during World War II. The Oakland was assigned to the . . . — Map (db m72102) WM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 1946 General Strike
Site of the 1946 General Strike when Woman Retail Clerks fought For the Right to Organize a Union — Map (db m72701) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 442nd Regimental Combat Team Memorial
Dedicated on August 7, 1992, by E Company Veterans of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, the most decorated United States Army Unit of World War II. The all volunteer 442nd Combat Team was composed of Americans of Japanese ancestry, from the . . . — Map (db m64182) HM WM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — A Haven for Artists
In the late 1800s, Joaquin Miller hosted gatherings of such notables as authors Jack London, Ambrose Bierce, Mark Twain, Bret Harte and Prentice Mulford; English humorist and playwright Tom Hood; illustrator/engraver Frank Leslie; poet Walt Whitman, . . . — Map (db m71761) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Alameda County Courthouses
These five panels tell the stories of Alameda County's five courthouses. Alameda County’s 1st Courthouse Alvarado • 1853-1855 Alameda County’s first courthouse was a converted loft space above a general store in the frontier town . . . — Map (db m72064) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Antonio Bras Columns
These granite columns are all that remain of 4460 Howe Street, built in 1898. This residence was the home of various families connected to St. Mary's and Mountain View Cemeteries and their supporting business. 4460 Howe Street originally belonged to . . . — Map (db m18600) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Anza Expedition of 1776La Expedición de Anza de 1776
This marker consists of two duplicate plaques, one in English and the other in Spanish. The Peralta Family Legacy Luis Maria Peralta was just 17 when he and his family set off for the Bay Area in September 1775m from the town of . . . — Map (db m71330) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Asian Resource Center
1922 A neo-gothic Code Machine Factory never realized On the top floor Women of Chinatown sewed parachutes for WWII — Map (db m72763) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Australian Aviators
To the memory of the Australian Aviators Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith and Captain Charles T. P. Ulm This plaque is dedicated by the Board of Port Commissioners of the City of Oakland as a permanent tribute to the courage and . . . — Map (db m71201) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Black Panther Party Stoplight
Text for this marker is found on both sides of the panel. Side 1 On August 1, 1987 This stoplight was installed as a result of a community initiative spearheaded by the Black Panther Party Side 2 After several . . . — Map (db m72395) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — C. L. DellumsJanuary 3, 1900 – December 6, 1989
I am the Master of my fate / I am the Captain of my soul Sculptor: Carol Tarzier Funded by Federal Transportation Enhancement Activities Grant Commissioned by City of Oakland Public Works Agency encircling the base 1923 - . . . — Map (db m71326) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — California Cotton MillBuilt in 1883 — Fruitvale History Tour Site
The California Cotton Mill was one of Oakland’s earliest and largest industries. Jingletown was named for the mill workers’ habit of jingling coins in their pockets on payday. At its height, the mill had 600 to 700 employees and 20 to 30 . . . — Map (db m71211) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Chabot ObservatoryFounded 1883
This marker, dedicated June 21, 2008, celebrates Chabot Space & Science Center's 125 years of inspiring Bay Area star gazers and curious minds of all ages. From 1883-1915, an observatory on this site housed Chabot's first telescope, "Leah," an . . . — Map (db m18875) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Chappell Roland Hayes1948 – 1994
Community activist and environmentalist, Chappell Hayes was the driving force behind the Clean Air Alternative Coalition which successfully convinced CalTrans to re-route the new Cypress freeway away from West Oakland neighborhoods. Mr. Hayes . . . — Map (db m72223) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Charles P. Howard Terminal
The marine terminal you are facing is the easternmost of the Port of Oakland’s container shipping facilities. Howard Terminal is operated as a joint venture of SSA Terminals and Matson Navigation Company, the principal carrier of containerized . . . — Map (db m71327) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 48 — Charles S. Greene LibraryAfrican-American Museum and Library at Oakland — Oakland Landmark Number 48
Dedicated in 1902 as the Oakland Public Library, this was the first Carnegie Library built in Oakland. Designed in the American Beaux Arts style by architects Bliss and Faville (who later designed the Hotel Oakland), it was Oakland's main library . . . — Map (db m18670) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — CHL 694 — Church of St. James the Apostle
This church founded under authority of Bishop Kip, first Episcopal Bishop for California, has given uninterrupted service to this community since June 27, 1858 — Map (db m72140) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Commemoration of Old Redwood Road from Redwood Canyon
. . . — Map (db m71735) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Cryer & Sons
In operation on the Oakland waterfront from 1907 to 1989, Cryer was one of the best-known builders of small boats in the Bay Area. Founded in San Francisco in the 1890s by English-born William Cryer, the yard was later taken over by his son William . . . — Map (db m71421) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Dunsmuir House
Within this crescent shaped valley is the beautiful 37-room Dunsmuir House, an example of colonial revival Victorian architecture. Built in 1899 on a 415 acre estate by Alexander Dunsmuir, heir to a Canadian coal and lumber fortune, for his bride . . . — Map (db m72061) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Early Harbor
Creating the Cove The transformation of the estuary from industrial harbor to recreational waterway is a major trend in Oakland’s history. The change began at this spot. The Oakland Municipal Yacht Harbor – the city’s first public . . . — Map (db m71420) HM

5767 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 5567
Paid Advertisement