Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Delaware Historical Markers

600 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 350
Bethel Methodist Church image, Click for more information
By Mike Stroud, October 16, 2012
Bethel Methodist Church
Delaware (Kent County), Andrewville — KC-64 — Bethel Methodist Church
The roots of Methodism in this community can be traced to the late 18th century, when Methodist pioneers such as Francis Asbury traveled throughout this area spreading the message of their faith. Over time some church members became . . . — Map (db m60462) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — K-55 — Brecknock
In 1680 Alexander Humphreys received a warrant from the county court for 600 acres of land which he called Brecknock. The tract is believed to have been named for a shire of Wales. A milling operation was established here in the 1740’s. For nearly . . . — Map (db m39507) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — KC-41 — Camden
Founded 1783 on the tract “Brecknock” by Daniel Mifflin and settled largely by Quakers. Once called Piccadilly and Mifflins Cross Roads. Incorporated 1852, it was a center of anti-slavery sentiment. Several homes were by tradition stops . . . — Map (db m39508) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — KC-72 — Camden
The history of this community can be traced to the 1780s, when members of the Mifflin family began dividing their land into lots. Much of this land was originally a part of a tract known as Brecknock, which was granted to Alexander Humphreys in . . . — Map (db m39511) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — KC-73 — Camden Friends Meeting
Burial Place of John Hunn This house of worship, built in 1805, was first a Preparative Meeting under the care of Motherkiln (Murderkill) Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). In 1830, Camden Monthly Meeting was formed by . . . — Map (db m39513) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — John Hunn1814 - 1894 — Quaker Abolitionist
Chief engineer of the Underground Rail Road in the State of Del. and the richest man in Del. He was convicted and fined in 1846 by the U.S. Dist. Court, later he was fined twice for $10,000.00 each by Del. but was advised the fines wouldn't be . . . — Map (db m39514) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — KC-82 — Morning Star Institutional Church of God in Christ, Inc.
In 1856, the trustees of Whatcoat Methodist Episcopal Church purchased this site from Thomas Mifflin. The present church was erected thereafter and dedicated on July 26, 1857. Extensive renovations of the structure were undertaken in 1865 and 1940. . . . — Map (db m39512) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — KC-100 — Site of Whatcoat Church
In 1791 Daniel Lowber granted permission for “the society of people called Methodists” to erect a “meeting house” at this location. The site was formally conveyed to church trustees in 1796. Adjoining land was obtained in . . . — Map (db m39601) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — K-50 — Star Hill A.M.E. Church
By the end of the 18th century this area was home to a large number of African Americans, many of them freed slaves. Their settlement was largely due to the efforts of local Quakers. A congregation of the African Methodist Episcopal Church was . . . — Map (db m39605) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Cheswold — KC-83 — Cheswold Volunteer Fire Company
This company was organized on February 2, 1928, when a group of interested citizens met at C. H. Pearson’s Store for the purpose of electing officers. William S. Scarborough was chosen to be the President of the organization, and Willard D. Boyce . . . — Map (db m39050) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Cheswold — Little Creek Hundred
Originally embraced all lands south of Leipsic Creek and north of Little Creek from Delaware River to Maryland line. In 1869 western half was detached and joined to western half of Duck Creek Hundred to form Kenton Hundred. — Map (db m39049) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Cheswold — KC5 — Little Creek Hundred
Originally embraced all lands south of Leipsic Creek and north of Little Creek from Delaware River to Maryland line. In 1869 western half was detached and joined to western half of Duck Creek Hundred to form Kenton Hundred. — Map (db m39051) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Clayton — KC-74 — Site of Blackiston Methodist Church
A local society of Methodists was organized circa 1778. On May 16, 1781, they obtained land here on which to build a permanent house of worship. A large frame church was then constructed and named Blackiston's Chapel, to honor the family that . . . — Map (db m40190) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Clayton — KC-59 — Town of Clayton
First known as Smyrna Station, the Town of Clayton began when the railroad came to this area in the mid-1850s. In 1860, the name was changed to honor Delawarean John M. Clayton, a former United States Secretary of State and strong advocate of the . . . — Map (db m39023) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — An Army of Restoration (CCC)
To provide employment and vocational training for youthful citizens of the United States…through the performance of useful public work in connection with the conservation and development of the natural resources of the United States and its . . . — Map (db m4491) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-119 — Annie Jump Cannon
Annie Jump Cannon (1863-1941), a prominent astronomer who pioneered stellar classification, observed her first stars from the roof of this house. Cannon, who was legally deaf, graduated valedictorian from Wilmington Conference Academy, now Wesley . . . — Map (db m94379) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Armed Forces Memorial
This monument is dedicated to remember those men and women missing in action while serving in the Armed Services of the United States of America

Korean War Clifton E. Brooks – PFC U.S. Army • Samuel L. Crawford – PFC U.S. . . . — Map (db m39725) WM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Battles and Engagements of the Delaware Regiment
Battles around New York City and Environs, 1776-1779 1. Long Island, August 27, 1776 2. Throg's Neck, October 12-18, 1776 3. Mamaroneck Raid, October 22, 1776 4. White Plains, October 28, 1776 5. Retreat across New Jersey, . . . — Map (db m39713) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Bioretention
This facility was converted from a stormwater pond into a bioretention facility in 2009. A bioretention facility, also known as a rain garden, filters polluted stormwater before it enters into a waterway.

When it rains, water washes over . . . — Map (db m51116) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — K-43 — Bishop Richard Allen
Richard Allen founded and became the first Bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church in 1816. Born into slavery in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on February 14, 1760, Allen and his family were sold to a family near Dover in 1772. While there, . . . — Map (db m39093) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-88 — Booker T. Washington School
On November 13, 1922, 210 children and 6 teachers marched from two old school buildings located on Slaughter Street and Division Street to a new school for African- American students in Dover. Funding for the building was provided by the Delaware . . . — Map (db m39064) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-53 — Byfield
Near this site stood the boyhood home of Caesar Rodney, signer of the Declaration of Independence, Brigadier General of the State's militia (1775-1778), and President (Governor) of Delaware (1778-1781). Byfield was originally settled in the early . . . — Map (db m75835) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Caesar Rodney
Statesman, Soldier and Patriot. Member of Stamp Act Congress and of First and Second Continental Congresses. Signer of Declaration of Independence. Member and Speaker of Colonial Assembly of “Three Lower Counties on Delaware.” Member of . . . — Map (db m39067) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Charles Inglis
In memory of 1734 Charles Inglis 1816 1759 Rector of this parish 1765 1787 Bishop of Nova Scotia 1816 First Colonial Bishop in the British Empire His wife Mary Vining and their two infant children rest in the churchyard. — Map (db m42757) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Colonel John Haslet
Presbyterian minister, later practiced medicine, Member of Colonial Assembly, Member of Council of Safety, 1775. Commanded First Delaware Militia Regiment. This regiment, reviewed in Dover, later joined Washington’s army and fought in Battles of . . . — Map (db m4716) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Commemoration Park
Dedicated on 13 September 1997 Constucted by 436th Civil Engineering Squadron — Map (db m51022) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Delaware State College
Established May 15, 1891, by an act of the Delaware General Assembly as the State College for Colored Students, by virtue of the 1890 Morrill Land-Grant Act under the provisions of the 1862 Morrill Act of Congress. Incorporated July 1, 1891. . . . — Map (db m39054) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-34 — Dover
County seat since 1680. William Penn in 1683 ordered Town site laid out and named Dover. Plotted in 1717. Temporary capitol in 1777 and permanent capitol since 1779. Federal Constitution ratified here in 1787, making Delaware first State in Union. . . . — Map (db m39061) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-35 — Dover
County seat since 1680. William Penn in 1683 ordered Town site laid out and named Dover. Plotted in 1717. Temporary capitol in 1777 and permanent capitol since 1779. Federal Constitution ratified here in 1787, making Delaware first State in Union. . . . — Map (db m39107) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Dover
County seat since 1680. William Penn, in 1683, ordered townsite laid out and named Dover. Plotted in 1717. Temporary capital in 1777 and permanent capital since 1779. Federal Constitution ratified here in 1787 making Delaware First State in Union. . . . — Map (db m51115) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Dover Light InfantryKent County, Delaware Militia — 1776-1777
The Light Infantry Company of Dover, a part of the 1st Battalion of Kent County, mustered in on 2 April 1776. Each militia volunteer was uniformly armed, equipped, and wore a standard military coat of green faced with red lapels, cuffs, and . . . — Map (db m39576) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — East Dover Hundred
Originally part of St. Jones Hundred renamed Dover Hundred 1823, the boundaries being Little Creek on north and St. Jones Creek on south, extending from Delaware River to Maryland line. Dover Hundred was divided 1877 into two hundreds, called East . . . — Map (db m51114) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-117 — Eden Hill Farm
In 1680, a large tract of land called "Brothers Portion" was warranted to John and Richard Walker. In 1695, 200 acres of the parcel were purchased to create the town of Dover. When the town plot was completed in 1718, John Mifflin purchased 69 acres . . . — Map (db m94380) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-86 — Former Site of ILC DoverMakers of the Apollo Moonsuit
In 1947 the International Latex Corporation established a specialty products division and chose this site for its location. The company’s rise to prominence as a supplier of aeronautic and aerospace equipment began in 1952 when it was contracted to . . . — Map (db m39062) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Hall HouseThe First State Heritage Park at Dover
The land on which Hall House stands was originally part of the Woodburn property. In 1885, Thomas Wilson, Jr. purchased an acre from his uncle living in Woodburn and built this house, which was completed in 1887. In 1983, during the . . . — Map (db m43736) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-68 — Hangar 1301
Constructed in 1944, Hangar 1301 served as the headquarters and engineering facility for the 4146th Base Unit from 1944 to 1946. Highly secret testing and development work was done here on air-launched rocket weapons. Aircraft used in testing ranged . . . — Map (db m50623) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Home of John Dickinson
"The Penman of the Revolution." Member of Delaware colonial and state assemblies. Member of Continental Congress, Annapolis Convention, and Philadelphia Federal Constitutional Convention. Signer for Delaware of Articles of Confederation and Federal . . . — Map (db m39583) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — In the Council Chamber of Elizabeth Battell's Golden Fleece Tavern
On this site, Delaware became the first state to ratify the Constitution of the United States. December 7, 1787.

We, the deputies of the people of the Delaware state, in Convention met, having taken in our serious consideration the Federal . . . — Map (db m39074) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — John Bell House
The 18th-century front section of this structure is the oldest surviving wood building in Dover. It is being restored to serve as an interpretive center for the First State heritage Park.

The 20th-century rear additions will be removed to return . . . — Map (db m39097) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — John M. Clayton
Born in Dagsboro, Delaware, 1796. Graduate of Yale College 1815. Member of Delaware House of Representatives 1824. Secretary of State of Delaware 1826-1828. United States Senator 1829-1836, 1845-1849 and 1853 until his death, 1856. Chief Justice of . . . — Map (db m4748) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Kent County Courthouses (1680-1983)
Court was first held in Jones County in 1680. In 1682 William Penn changed the county’s name to Kent County. On August 11, 1863 William Penn directed that the town of Dover be laid out and that a courthouse be erected at the intersection of its two . . . — Map (db m4156) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Legislative Hall - Delaware's Capitol Building
Legislative Hall was dedicated as the state's new capitol building in 1933, replacing The Old State House on The Green. The Senate and the House of Representatives of Delaware's General Assembly meets here. The building also houses the offices of . . . — Map (db m39068) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Liberty Bell ReproductionDedicated to You, a Free Citizen in a Free Land
Dedicated to you, a free citizen in a free land, this reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of Delaware by direction of The Honorable John W. Snyder, Secretary of the Treasury.

As the inspirational symbol of the United . . . — Map (db m42759) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — K-60 — Loockerman Hall
In 1723 Nicholas Loockerman purchased 600 acres of land known as “The Range.” Following his death in 1771, the property passed to his grandson Vincent Loockerman Jr. Evidence suggests that he built the Georgian-style mansion known today . . . — Map (db m39053) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — 72000277 — Loockerman House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m39098) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Nicholas Ridgely
In this churchyard lie the remains of Nicholas Ridgely, Statesman and Jurist. Born in Dover, 1762, eldest son of Dr. Charles Greenbury Ridgely and Mary Wynkoop Ridgely. Member of State Convention which ratified the Federal Constitution, December 7, . . . — Map (db m39066) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — K-39 — Old Christ Church
Founded as mission by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in response to a petition from twenty-two inhabitants of Dover in 1703. The present church was erected in 1734. Among early missionaries here was the Rev. Charles Inglis, later . . . — Map (db m3803) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Old Presbyterian Church
Built 1790 during the pastorate of the Rev. John Miller to replace the earlier log church erected about 1715 on this plot designated as “Meeting House Square”. Presented by the Presbytery to the State of Delaware for a state museum in . . . — Map (db m5048) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Inc.Delaware Chapter One
Joseph S. Barbizzi, James C. Beuter, Cleyo E. Blanchard, Benjamin P. Bowings, George B. Buckalew, Sr., John J. Casey, Malcom T. Chandler, Casimir J. Chiczewski, Herbert D. Clifton, E. Hart Davis, James D. Davis, Joel W. Davis, Charles J. Donnelly, . . . — Map (db m50621) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Revolutionary War Patriot John Banning
Born in 1740 in Dover, Kent Co., DE Died Feb, 15, 1791 in Dover, Kent Co., DE Justice of the Peace Member of Joint Committee of Accounts, Committee of Correspondence, Council of Safety, and General Assembly. — Map (db m42754) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Richardson and Robbins Complex
The Richardson and Robbins complex began in 1881, twenty-six years after Alden B. Richardson and James W. Robbins started a small cannery at another location in Dover. On this new site Richardson and Robbins prospered as canners of high quality . . . — Map (db m42760) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Ridgely House
Dr. Charles Greenbury Ridgely: Member Colonial and State Legislative Assemblies; Delegate First State Constitutional Convention 1776.

Nicholas Ridgely (the younger): Member of Convention that ratified Federal Constitution 1787; Delegate . . . — Map (db m39071) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — K-70 — Site of Dover's First Methodist Church
In 1778, a Methodist Society was organized in Dover by Reverend Freeborn Garrettson. Desiring a permanent place of worship, members acquired a one-half acre lot at this location from Vincent Loockerman in 1782. Future Delaware Governor Richard . . . — Map (db m39065) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-94 — Site Of Kent County’s First Presbyterian Church
A Presbyterian Society, present in Kent from c1694, was organized and worshipped in a log church on this site from c1708 until 1791. The Presbytery of Philadelphia recognized its congregation in 1714. The present church was built in 1791 and served . . . — Map (db m5166) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Site of King George’s Tavern
From 1724 known as King George’s Tavern. On its sign was painted King George’s portrait, supplanted during the revolution, by the portrait of George Washington. For many years the old hostelry was the meeting place for political rallies and used for . . . — Map (db m3764) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — K-44 — St. Jones NeckSite of Settlement in the 1660's
This part of what is now Kent County, Delaware was one of the state's earliest sites of English colonization. Beginning in the 1660's plantations were established along the St. Jones River. The Dickinson family of Talbot County, Maryland was among . . . — Map (db m39581) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — State House
Completed in 1792 and restored in 1976, it was shared by Kent County and the State from 1792 to 1873. Prior to the construction of this building, an older county court house stood on the same site. That small brick structure, about twenty five feet . . . — Map (db m39073) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — T-33A Shooting Star
The two-seater T-33 was developed as a variant of Lockheed's P-80 fighter which had a high accident rate until more training with an onboard instructor reversed that trend. In service for over 50 years, the T-33, known as the Shooting Star of . . . — Map (db m50626) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Bayonets of the Revolution
The Delaware Regiment fought in nearly every campaign of the American Revolution.

For a small state, Delaware's soldiers played a large role in the Revolution. Answering Congress' call, Delaware raised a regiment of 500-600 men by the summer . . . — Map (db m39712) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-89 — The Capitol Theater
In 1904, the Dover Opera House opened at this location. The theater was built with funds from a public subscription, and included a stage that was used for a variety of purposes including vaudeville, photoplays, magic lantern shows, and in later . . . — Map (db m39104) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Compass Rose
First to ratify the Constitution of the United States. Delaware. The Compass Rose. Dedicated 7 December, 1988. — Map (db m3571) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Congressional Medal Of Honor
In Respectful Memory of Those Delawareans who have recieved The Congressional Medal Of Honor for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life and beyond the call of duty. —––    The . . . — Map (db m61103) HM WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Delaware Continentals
Liberty and Independence — Map (db m42671) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Delaware Line
To commemorate and also preserve to posterity the undying fame of the patriotism and valor of the officers and soldiers of the Delaware Line who, in May 1780 were reviewed on this green for the last time immediately prior to marching on their . . . — Map (db m3684) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Delaware Regiment
On December 9, 1775, the Continental Congress resolved that a body of troops be raised in Delaware "for the defense of American liberty." Commanded by Colonel John Haslet, the Delaware Regiment consisted of more than 500 battle-ready troops when . . . — Map (db m67456) HM WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The First State Heritage Park of Dover
The First State Heritage Park of Dover is Delaware’s first urban “park without boundaries.” It includes the many historical and cultural attractions within Dover’s historical districts. Linking the diverse sites throughout Delaware’s . . . — Map (db m3557) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The First State Heritage Park of Dover
The First State Heritage Park of Dover is Delaware’s first urban “park without boundaries.” It includes the many historical and cultural attractions within Dover’s historical districts. Linking the diverse sites throughout Delaware’s . . . — Map (db m3560) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-76 — The Golden Fleece TavernBirthplace of the First State
This was the site of the Golden Fleece Tavern, scene of some of the most important and dramatic events in Delaware history. Built in the 1730s, the Golden Fleece was a center for community and government activities. It was a place of great . . . — Map (db m39075) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The St. Jones River: Why the Mansion Faces South
The St. Jones River, a major Delaware navigable waterway, is situated south of the John Dickinson Plantation. The river connects the Delaware Bay to the inland city of Dover. Between 1760 and 1808, John Dickinson owned six farms that bordered the . . . — Map (db m79168) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Thomas Stevenson House
The brick house was built in 1846. The structures to the rear consist of three separate buildings dating from 1804. They are the original tenement and two outbuildings. The first was a summer kitchen and the latter, Sara Stevenson's (1850) two room . . . — Map (db m39099) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Timothy Hanson Housec. 1730
The Timothy Hanson House stood on this site until it was relocated in 2006. The front of the building, commissioned by the Delaware Association of REALTORS, for its headquarters in 2006, is a replica of the structure known as the Hanson house. The . . . — Map (db m39096) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Vietnam MemorialFallen Heroes
Robert P. Archer Jr., Donald Ray Bailey, Paul L. Berry, Bruch E. Clough, Toby Ernest Collins, George H. Coppage, III, George W. Cripps, Clifton Cubbage, Bruce E. Dolbow, Robert H. Donaway, Harold W. Haddick, Jan Victor Henrickson, Lawrence E. . . . — Map (db m51117) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-71 — Wesley College
Wesley College is a private, liberal arts college affiliated with the United Methodist Church. It was founded in 1873 as Wilmington Conference Academy, a preparatory school for boys under the patronage of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Female . . . — Map (db m39063) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-79 — Wesley United Methodist Church
The origin of this congregation can be traced to the establishment of a Methodist society in Dover in 1778. Land on North Street was obtained in 1782, and a brick chapel was completed there in 1784. Bishops Francis Asbury and Richard Whatcoat, . . . — Map (db m39100) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Woodburn
Part of a tract of 3,000 acres granted to John Hillyard by William Penn, March 7, 1683. His great-grandson, Charles Hillyard, built this mansion and resided here with his wife, Mary, daughter of William Killen, first Chancellor of Delaware. . . . — Map (db m42761) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Woodburn: The Governor's House
This house was built for Charles Hillyard III ca. 1798. At the time, it was considered one of the grandest in Kent County. When Hillyard died in 1814, his son-in-law, Dr. Martin W. Bates purchased the house. Bates lived here with his wife Mary and . . . — Map (db m42796) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — World War II Memorial
1941 - 1945 Dedicated to the enduring memory of those of this community who gave their lives in World War II that we might achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.

In Memoriam W. Kirk Baynard, . . . — Map (db m50622) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Felton — Captain Jonathan Caldwell
This farm, formerly known as Burberry's Berry, was home of Captain Jonathan Caldwell of Colonel Haslet's Regiment in Revolution. Tradition says Delaware soldiers received name "Blue Hen's Chickens" from Caldwell's men having with tem game chickens, . . . — Map (db m39608) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Felton — KC-57 — Geographic Center of Delaware
In the vicinity of this marker, a Flat Outline Map of the State would be exactly balanced. In 1989, a curious seventh grader from the Caesar Rodney School District asked where the center of Delaware was located. . . . — Map (db m39607) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Felton — K-54 — Town of Felton
The town of Felton was laid out in 1856 when the Delaware Railroad reached this area. Located between Berrytown to the west and Johnny Cake Landing (Frederica) to the east, the town became a “whistle” stop on the new railroad line. Owing . . . — Map (db m39606) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Frederica — Barratt's Chapel(Cradle of Methodism in America)
Erected on land deeded by Col.Philip Barratt, August, 1780. Here Thomas Coke, D.D., representative of John Wesley, preached November 14, 1784, administering the Sacrament of Holy Communion for first time by a Methodist America. With Francis Asbury . . . — Map (db m39610) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Frederica — KC-93 — Barratt's Chapel
In 1778 a Methodist Society was organized in this area by Freeborn Garrettson. Desiring a permanent place of worship, the group constructed a brick “preaching house” at his location in 1780. The site was provided by Society member . . . — Map (db m39612) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Harrington — KC-47 — Clark's Corner
On September 17, 1740, Thomas Clark received a Proprieary Warrant from Thomas Penn for lands “adjoining his dwellin place” which he named “Clark’s Folly.” By the 1790’s Benjamin Clark and his son Matthew had . . . — Map (db m37477) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Harrington — K-61 — First Rural Free Delivery Route
For many years the National Grange and other organizations interested in the welfare of citizens residing in rural areas advocated the establishment of rural free delivery of mail. In October 1896, the Post Office Department introduced experimental . . . — Map (db m37476) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Harrington — K 49 — Harrington
Formerly known as Clark’s Corner, the roots of this community can be traced to settlement by the Clark family in the 1730’s and the subsequent establishment of an inn, tavern, store, and mill nearby. The village was little more than a . . . — Map (db m36916) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Hartly — KC-97 — Cheney Clow's Rebellion
During the American Revolution many Delawareans remained loyal to the British Crown. In 1778 a group of Loyalists under the leadership of local resident Cheney Clow constructed a fort near this location. Concerned that they would march on Dover, a . . . — Map (db m39715) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Houston — KC-109 — Griffith's ChapelWilliamsville Methodist Church
When Methodism first came to this area in the late 18th century, residents worshipped in local homes and journeyed to nearby towns to attend services. On November 20, 1848 William and Sarah Griffith conveyed land at this location to Trustees of the . . . — Map (db m38620) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Kenton — KC-66 — Town of Kenton
The origin of this community can be traced to the mid-18th century, when growing travel between Dover and the head of the Chester River resulted in the establishment of a Public House here to support the needs of travelers. Increasing commerce led . . . — Map (db m39052) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Kitts Hummock — KC-80 — Kitts Hummock
Like the Native Americans before them, European settlers used this rising ground or "hummock" on the shore of the Delaware Bay as a place for fishing and recreation. In 1738, Jehu Curtis received a patent for lands that he called "Kitt's Hammock." . . . — Map (db m39578) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Little Creek — Old Stone TavernThough Never a Tavern, it was Built of Stone
Stone is a rare material on this coastal plain, so when you find three stone buildings in one small area, there has to be a reason. The reason is that the same person, Manlove Hayes, built them all. Hayes built the house now known as the Stone . . . — Map (db m50628) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Magnolia — KC-90 — Murderkill/Motherkiln Friends Meeting
Quakers were gathering for worship in this area by 1712, when members of the Religious Society of Friends met "at the widow Needham's at Murderkill Creek." Established as Motherkiln Preparative Meeting (under the care of Duck Creek Meeting), the . . . — Map (db m39459) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Magnolia — KC-91 — Warner Mifflin1745 - 1798
A native of Virginia's Eastern Shore, Mifflin came to Delaware as a young man. Born into a slaveholding Quaker family, he manumitted his own slaves in 1774-75 and later became one of America's foremost abolitionists of the 18th century. As an elder . . . — Map (db m39456) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Marydel — KC-69 — Mason-Dixon Crownstone
Responsible for marking the boundaries of Maryland and Pennsylvania (including the "Three Lower Counties" of Delaware), Mason and Dixon began their survey of the North-South or Tangent Line at the southwestern corner of present-day Delaware in June . . . — Map (db m37052) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Marydel — West Dover Hundred
Originally part of St. Jones Hundred, renamed Dover Hundred 1823, the boundaries being Little Creek on the north and St. Jones Creek on the south, extending from Delaware River to Maryland Line. Dover Hundred was divided 1877 into two Hundreds, . . . — Map (db m74137) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC-111 — Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church
It is believed that parishioners of Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church were worshiping in a private residence on North Street by 1859. The church eventually moved to a site on Church Street to accommodate the growing congregation. On March 2, . . . — Map (db m69034) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC-101 — Christ ChurchMispillion Milford
Christ Church Mispillion was the second parish in Delaware established by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. The Rev. Thomas Crawford first held services of the Church of England in lower Kent County in 1704. The . . . — Map (db m69033) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — K 29 — Milford
Town laid out by Joseph Oliver 1787. Village was located on tract then called “Saw-Mill Range.” Named Milford from fording place near mill-dam erected by Rev. Sydenham Thorne across Mispillion Creek, 1787. First incorporated . . . — Map (db m36909) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC 28 — Milford
Town laid out by Joseph Oliver 1787. Village was located on tract then called “Saw-Mill Range.” Named Milford from fording place near mill-dam erected by Rev. Sydenham Thorne across Mispillion Creek, 1787. First incorporated . . . — Map (db m36950) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC-92 — Parson Thorne Mansion(Silver Hill)
This historic building lies within a 1,750 acre Duke of York land patent called Saw Mill Range granted to Henry Bowman in 1680. The first known resident of this portion of the tract was Joseph Booth, who purchased 510 acres from the Bowman . . . — Map (db m37393) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC-65 — Site of Milford's First Methodist Church
The beginning of Methodism in this community can be traced to the organization of a local “society” in 1777. Early meetings were held in the homes of its members. On December 3, 1787, Joseph Oliver conveyed a lot of ground at . . . — Map (db m36888) HM
Delaware (Kent County), near Greenwood — K-61 — Todd's Chapel United Methodist Church
   The origin of this congregation can be traced to the days of the American Revolution, when Methodist pioneers such as Francis Asbury and Freeborn Garrettson traveled throughout this area organizing groups or “societies” for . . . — Map (db m60461) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smryna — The Delaware House
N. Main & Mt. Vernon Street c. 1817 National Register of Historic Places of the Smyrna Historic District — Map (db m39676) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-67 — "First in the World"Post # 14 American Legion Ambulance Service
In 1924, the members of the David C. Harrison American Legion Post # 14 initiated the first American Legion ambulance service in the world. Its eighteen founding members were veterans of World War I who volunteered their time to transport the sick . . . — Map (db m39026) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — Allee House
In 1706 John Allee, of a Huguenot family, bought a 600-acre tract, "Woodstock Bower," of which this land is a part. One of his sons, Abraham, was prominent in Kent County affairs until his death in 1776: Member of the General Assembly 1726, . . . — Map (db m39589) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — Commodore Jacob Jones
Born 1768, near this site. Commanded U.S. Sloop Wasp in notable victory over superior British sloop Frolic, October, 1812, off Cape Hatteras. Commanded frigate Constitution 1818-1829. Died August, 1850. Buried at Cecilton, Maryland. Reinterred in . . . — Map (db m39031) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-60 — Home of Allen McLane
For many years this home was the property of Colonel Allen McLane, statesman and hero of the American Revolution.

Born in Philadelphia August 8, 1746, McLane had moved to Delaware by 1769. His military career began when he was . . . — Map (db m39028) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-78 — Sgt. John B. MaberryMedal of Honor Recipient
Born December 17, 1841, John B. Maberry was the son of John and Temperance Brockson Maberry of Duck Creek Hundred. Responding to the call of his country, he enlisted in the Union Army’s Company F, First Regiment, Delaware Infantry Volunteers, in . . . — Map (db m39024) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-81 — Site of Duck Creek Presbyterian Church
In 1733 a charter was granted to “a dissenting congregation” of Scots and Irish Presbyterians who had settled in this area. A Meeting House was subsequently erected at this location. The Reverend Thomas Evans conducted the first service . . . — Map (db m39032) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-84 — Site of Green Pottery
In 1764, Thomas Green sold a one-quarter acre lot at this location to his grandson, Charles Green. Some time thereafter, Charles established a facility for the manufacturing of redware pottery on this site. The business is known to have been in . . . — Map (db m39678) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — Site of Old Asbury Methodist Church
The roots of Methodism in this community can be traced to the organization of a local “society” in the 1770’s. Meetings were held in private homes before a frame structure was built here circa 1786 on land provided by Col. Allan McLane, . . . — Map (db m39027) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — Site of the Duck Creek Society of Friends
The first religious organization to hold services in Duck Creek Hundred - 1705. Property transferred to Duck Creek Historical Society - 1962. Michael Desmond, Jr's Eagle Scout Restoration Project - 2002. — Map (db m39711) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-71 — Smyrna Opera House and Old Town Hall
In the spring of 1869, the Commissioners of Smyrna approved a plan to erect a Town Hall. Responding to the long-held desire of the citizens for a venue for public gatherings, architect Richard Mitchell designed the building to include a . . . — Map (db m39030) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-85 — The Barracks
This longtime Smyrna landmark was constructed by Robert Holliday in the late 18th century. The first known residents of the home are believed to have been the family of his daughter, Susannah Holliday Wilson. The origin of the name “The . . . — Map (db m39029) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — The Gray Box Chateau
The Gray Box Chateau 24 North Main Street Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1764 — Map (db m39679) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — The John Cummins Mansion
The John Cummins Mansion has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior - May 23, 1980 — Map (db m39677) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Viola — K-15 — North Murderkill Hundred
Formerly part of Murderkill Hundred, originally called Motherkill Hundred, kill meaning creek in Dutch. Original boundaries were St. Jones Creek on north, and Murderkill Creek on south, extending from Delaware River to Maryland line. In 1867, . . . — Map (db m51113) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Wyoming — KC-116 — Caesar Rodney School District
State Consolidated District No. 1 was authorized and created on July 1, 1915. Seven months later on February 28, 1916, voters of the district approved the request of the State Board of Education by a vote of 52 to 1 to bond together schools in the . . . — Map (db m94381) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Wyoming — KC-99 — Coming of the Railroad
Efforts to establish rail transportation in Delaware were realized in 1832 with the completion of the New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad connecting shipping traffic on the Chesapeake Bay and Delaware River. The promise of railroads was clearly . . . — Map (db m39604) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Wyoming — KC-63 — Town of Wyoming
The construction of the Delaware Railroad in the 1850s led to the establishment of the Delmarva Peninsula’s first and most important north-south railway transportation artery. Proximity to the nearby community of Camden resulted in the location of a . . . — Map (db m39603) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Arden — NC-92 — Village of Arden
Arden is an intentional community, founded in 1900 by social reformers Frank Stephens, a sculptor, and Will Price, and architect, to create a society based on Henry George’s Single Tax economics and William Morris’s arts and crafts philosophy. . . . — Map (db m92287) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Bear — NC-126 — Sgt. James P. Connor Memorial Circle
Born in Wilmington, Delaware, on January 12, 1919, James P. Connor entered the U.S. Army in January 1941. As a member of the 7th Infantry, 3rd Division, he was a participant in the amphibious landing at Cape Cavalaire in southern France. On August . . . — Map (db m10700) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — NC-173 — Christiana Presbyterian Church
Known in its early days as the "Presbyterian Church at Christiana Bridge," this congregation was organized in the 1730s. A church structure was built on this site soon after and a graveyard was established by the mid-18th century. Rev. Charles . . . — Map (db m14752) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — NC-98 — Christiana United Methodist Church
The origin of this congregation may be traced to the earliest days of Methodism in America. In March, 1771, Joseph Pilmore, one of the first Methodist missionaries from England, preached outdoors at Christiana. Upon returning in 1773, Reverend . . . — Map (db m13553) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — NC-184 — Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1813 a group of African-American Methodists led by Peter Spencer formed an independent denomination that came to be known as the African Union Church. It was the first incorporated religious body in the United States controlled entirely by . . . — Map (db m13554) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — NC-52 — Samuel Patterson
Operated flour mill one-fourth mile south. Was captain in French and Indian War. In American Revolution was member of Boston Relief Committee, colonel of Delaware battalion of famous "Flying Camp," Brigadier General of Delaware militia and first . . . — Map (db m67210) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — Talbot's Fort
Colonel George Talbot , cousin of Lord Baltimore, in defiance of William Penn's claim to Delaware,erected a fort nearby, 1684, on land of the Widow Ogle. Talbot dispossessed settlers between here and Iron Hill who refused to acknowledge Baltimore as . . . — Map (db m60040) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-176 — Archmere
This was once the home of John Jakob Raskob (1879-1950), financier, DuPont and General Motors executive, Chairman of the Democratic National Committee, and developer of the Empire State Building. Known as "The Patio," his palatial home was . . . — Map (db m14697) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-123 — Church of the Ascension
The roots of this congregation can be traced to 1843 and the missionary efforts of the Rev. Greenbury W. Ridgely and the Rt. Rev. Alfred Lee, who conducted services every other Sunday in the Claymont Stone School. The church was accepted into the . . . — Map (db m14700) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-105 — Claymont Stone School
Also known as Naaman's Creek School No. 1, THE CLAYMONT STONE SCHOOL was built on land donated by John Dickinson, the "Penman of the American Revolution," in 1805. The building was expanded and renovated in 1905. Evidence suggests that it may have . . . — Map (db m14699) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-192 — Grubb/Worth Mansion
John Grubb, one of the original English settlers in Delaware, acquired a one-third interest in a 600 acre tract of land at this location in 1680. Several generations passed and the Grubb family greatly increased their land holdings in the area and . . . — Map (db m92285) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-162 — Hickman Row
The industrial expansion of Brandywine Hundred in the late 19th and early 20th centuries was largely reflective of national trends in the growth and development of heavy industry. As large corporations moved to locations outside of major cities, . . . — Map (db m92286) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-99 — Old Claymont High School
Constructed 1924-25. Also known as the Green Street School. Prominent in United States history as the first public high school in the 17 segregated states to be legally integrated. In January 1951, eight black students applied for admission. Due . . . — Map (db m14705) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-160 — Robinson House
The oldest portion of this structure is believed to have been built circa 1730. In the 1740s the house and surrounding property were sold to Philadelphia merchant Thomas Robinson. Other holdings included a milling operation and landing on nearby . . . — Map (db m14704) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-91 — The Darley House
The home of world-renowned illustrator Felix O.C. Darley (1822-1888). Built in the late 18th century and enlarged several times during the first half of the 19th century, the house was purchased by Darley in 1863 and renamed "The Wren's Nest." . . . — Map (db m14137) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Batteries Hentig and DoddThe 1890s modernization continued
By the turn of the century, Fort Delaware had become part of a coastal defense system, linking Fort Mott in New Jersey and Fort Dupont in Delaware. Batteries* Hentig and Dodd, which each housed two rapid-fire guns, were intended to furnish . . . — Map (db m21662) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — NC-100 — Christ Episcopal ChurchDelaware City
In 1847, the Reverend Andrew F. Freeman and the Reverend Thomas F. Billop were appointed as a committee to organize and solicit subscriptions for a Protestant Episcopal church in Delaware City. The parish was formally organized on May 28, 1848, when . . . — Map (db m10208) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — NC-97 — Delaware City School No. 118C
In 1919 Delaware radically altered its state school system, opening a new era in the education of African-American youth. Progress was stimulated by the efforts of the Delaware School Auxiliary Association and its primary supporter, P.S. duPont, who . . . — Map (db m10445) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Delaware Historic Civil Engineering Landmark
Chesapeake & Delaware Canal Designated 1982, Delaware Section, ASCE — Map (db m10204) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — NC-178 — Old Delaware City Public School
Delaware City was founded in 1826, in anticipation of the opening of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. The town was incorporated in 1851. The benefits of proximity to the canal resulted in a sustained period by prosperity and expansion of the . . . — Map (db m94190) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Pea Patch Island
Fort Delaware is located on Pea Patch Island in the Delaware River. The island is sometimes said to have gotten its name from a boat loaded with peas that ran aground on a mud shoal in the 1770s. The spilled peas sprouted, mud caught in the vines, . . . — Map (db m21589) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Sally Port
In its original state, heavy iron-studded oak doors (like the one before you) stood at both ends of the sally port. Large granite blocks, quarried in Quincy, Massachusetts, line its walls. A sample of the fort’s fine brickwork can be seen on the . . . — Map (db m21665) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — The Diving Bell
Made in Philadelphia 1839 for the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal Company, it was used as an air chamber for workmen to make underwater repairs on the lock gates. The canal was opened in 1829 and was operated until the sea level canal was opened at . . . — Map (db m10201) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — W. Emerson Wilson1908 - 1982
In Memory of W. Emerson Wilson 1908 - 1982 Through his leadership Pea Patch Island was returned to the State of Delaware by the Federal Government in 1948. He was the founder and first president of the Fort Delaware Society, January 1950 and was . . . — Map (db m10207) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Elsmere — NC-199 — The "Annie Oakleys": First Female Prison Guards in the United States
Completed in 1901, the New Castle County Workhouse at Greenbank was named the first penal institution in the United States to employ armed female guards. Nicknamed "Annie Oakleys" for their excellent shooting ability with the machine guns and rifles . . . — Map (db m74277) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Glasgow — NC-142 — Aiken's Tavern Historic District
In the years prior to the Revolutionary War, John Aiken commenced the operation of a tavern and storehouse at this location near the intersection of two of the major roadways of the Delmarva Peninsula. Aided by their proximity to this important . . . — Map (db m39592) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Greenville — NC-78 — Camp Brandywine
In the Civil War the first camp of this name was at Wilmington Fair Grounds for the First and Second Delaware Regiments. The same name was given this site in September 1862 for a camp of Pennsylvania troops sent to guard powder mills. They were . . . — Map (db m45573) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — Ashland BridgeRed Clay Creek — Listed on National Register of Historic Places – 1973
Original Town Lattice Truss Covered Bridge – ca. 1850 Bridge Deck Rehabilitated – 1964 Listed on National Register of Historic Places – 1973 Complete Rehabilitation & Steel Beams Added – 1982 Rehabilitated Stone . . . — Map (db m62043) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-140 — Chippey African Union Methodist Church
In 1813 a group of African-American Methodists formed an independent denomination known as the African Union Church. It was the first incorporated religious body in the United States controlled entirely by African-Americans. In 1866 the African . . . — Map (db m92146) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-194 — First African-American Schoolhouse In Hockessin
Local tradition states that a school was present at this location as early as 1829. However, in 1878 the first documented school for African-Americans in Hockessin was established in this vicinity. The school was funded and built primarily by the . . . — Map (db m94251) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-198 — Hockessin Friends Meetinghouse
The Hockessin Friends Meeting has operated with an active membership and regular services, known as Meetings for Worship, since its founding. The Meeting is part of the larger Philadelphia Yearly Meeting faith community.

The expansion of the . . . — Map (db m92144) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-137 — Hockessin School #107C
Also known as the Hockessin Colored School, this building was constructed in 1920 to serve the needs of the communities African-American students. Funding for construction was provided by the Delaware School Auxiliary Association and its primary . . . — Map (db m92145) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC219 — James Henry "Nip" Winters
Born in 1899 in Washington DC. James Henry Winters was a pitcher in the Negro leagues from 1919-1933. Winters, who was also known as "Jesse" and "Nip," was one of the top left-handed pitchers of his day. Known for his wild style and pitching speed, . . . — Map (db m94255) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-218 — St. John The Evangelist Church
Built in 1882, St. John the Evangelist Church was the third Catholic church to be built in the Hockessin area. Soon after it opened, St. John's established a parochial school in its hall. By 1934 the school was closed due to dwindling financial . . . — Map (db m94252) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-32 — St. Mary's Church
Site of the first Catholic church in Delaware, Usually called "Coffee Run" Church. Land purchased 1772 by Rev. Matthias Manners. First church erected shortly thereafter. Last church erected by Rev. Patrick Kenny. Remained standing until 1908. . . . — Map (db m43694) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-208 — Tweed's Tavern
Formerly known as "MudFort," this log structure was built circa 1790. The original two-story building measured 21 X 27 feet, and featured an attic and full stone basement. A later tax assessment describes the house as d"large" and cites the presence . . . — Map (db m94256) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — Wooddale BridgeRed Clay Creek
Original Town Lattice Truss Covered Bridge - ca. 1850 Rehabilitated - 1939 Steel Beams Added - 1981 Destroyed by Flood/ Steel Acrow Bridge Placed - 2003 Town Lattice Truss Covered Bridge Replacement - 2008 Engineering & Project Management - . . . — Map (db m73000) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-16 — Commodore Thomas Macdonough
Early home of Commodore Thomas Macdonough. Hero of Battle of Lake Champlain 1814. Born 1783. Died 1825. Commodore 1813. Assisted Commodore Decatur in capturing and burning the "Philadelphia" off the coast of Tripoli, 1804. Original name of village . . . — Map (db m10305) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-210 — Former Site of the Alston and Hunn Farms
Near this location were the farms of John Alston (1794-1872) and John Hunn (1818-1894), cousins who shared the Quaker faith and were well documented operatives on Delaware's Underground Railroad. John Alston sometimes employed fugitives as laborers . . . — Map (db m88341) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-135 — Locust GroveHome of Governor Joshua Clayton
This home was once the residence of Joshua Clayton (1744-1798), an eminent physician and distinguished government leader in post-Revolutionary Delaware. After attending the University of Pennsylvania he established a successful local practice and . . . — Map (db m10699) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-133 — McDonough Burial Ground
Here lie the remains of the family of James McDonough, an Irish immigrant who purchased land at this location in 1748. Seven children were raised here by James and his wife Lydia. Their eldest, Thomas McDonough, was a prominent local physician. In . . . — Map (db m92152) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-118 — Middletown
Beginning in the 1690s, settler Adam Peterson and his family acquired several tracts of land here. One tract, surveyed in 1733 was given the name "Middletown." The origin of the name is believed to derive from the area's location at the middle point . . . — Map (db m10613) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-144 — Middletown Academy
In 1824 area residents petitioned the General Assembly for a lottery to erect a building for education and public worship. Construction of the Academy began in 1826 and was completed the next year. For many years the building served as the center of . . . — Map (db m10612) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-74 — Old St. Anne's(P. E. Church)
As early as 1705 a log chapel was established at '' Appoquinimy' by the S.P.G. with the Rev. Thomas Jenkins appointed its first missionary, 1708. Queen Anne of England, for whom the Church was named, is said to have been a patron. This Church was . . . — Map (db m34695) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-114 — Sgt. William Lloyd NelsonCongressional Medal of Honor Recipient
William Lloyd Nelson was born near Dover, Delaware, on February 22, 1918. He was the son of J. Clarence and Carrie Phillips Nelson. Following his family's move to a farm near Middletown, he was educated in the public schools of the community. He . . . — Map (db m10609) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — This Tree Was Living When William Penn Came to Pennsylvania
1682 - 1932 This tree was living when William Penn came to Pennsylvania 1682 White Oak, Quercus Alba Girth Breast High, 1932, 14ft. 4 ins. — Map (db m73845) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — Three Welsh Members
Three Welsh members of the St. George's Anglican Church were reinterred here on Jun 20, 1937, the 232nd anniversary of St. Anne's Parish. Their remains were removed from the church cemetery when the C & D Canal was widened in 1937. — Map (db m73846) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-214 — Union Lodge No. 5 A.F.&A.M.
Chartered on June 24, 1765 by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania A.Y.M., Lodge No. 5 at Cantwell's Bridge (later known as Odessa) became the first Masonic lodge established in Delaware. The lodge was admitted to membership under the Grand Lodge of . . . — Map (db m94182) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-47 — Welsh Tract
Approximate southern boundary of tract of thirty thousand acres granted by William Penn to the Welsh in 1701. It included what is now Pencader Hundred, Delaware, and a part of Cecil County, Maryland. — Map (db m3769) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-145 — Booker T. Washington School No. 109C
Built in 1923 with funding provided by Pierre S. duPont for schools in Delaware, this school replaced New Castle’s first school for “colored” students that was built in 1867 on Williams Street. The Delaware School Auxiliary Association . . . — Map (db m92290) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-22 — Broad Dyke
Original dyke built by Dutch 1655. Centre of Twelve Mile Circle marking top of Delaware, surveyed 1701, by Empson and Pusey. — Map (db m25532) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-15 — Buena Vista
Built in 1845 by John M. Clayton (1796-1856) Secretary of State in President Taylor's cabinet. He also served Delaware as U.S. Senator, jurist and Secretary of State. He drafted the Clayton-Bulwer Treaty, which eventually guaranteed that the Panama . . . — Map (db m14131) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-174 — Buttonwood School
In 1919 a school was established in the Buttonwood Methodist Church to serve the needs of “colored” students in the growing neighborhood. The first teacher was James Matthew Coulbourne. In 1926 a new one room school housing grades 1-8 . . . — Map (db m92291) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-193 — Crane Hook Church — •••
Built in 1667, Crane Hook Church was located one mile east of here on what is now Pigeon Point Road. The Church took its name from the land located between here and the Delaware River. Under Dutch leadership, this area was colonized by the Swedes . . . — Map (db m67354) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Memorial — by the Delaware River and Bay Authority
Desert Shield • Desert Storm A tribute to all members of the United States Armed Forces who gallantly and courageously performed their duties during the Desert Shield Operation and the Desert Storm War Action in Kuwait-Iraq and Saudi . . . — Map (db m68265) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware & New Jersey WWII Submariners MemorialDedicated to those who serve in Submarines of the U.S. Navy — The Silent Service ~ Pride Runs Deep
Left Side of Marker U.S. Submarine Veterans World War II 52 United States Submarines On Eternal Patrol U.S. Navy Submarines Paid Heavily for their success in World War II 374 Officers and 3131 Men are on board these . . . — Map (db m68549) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware Memorial Bridge1951 - 1968 — Dedicated to the Delaware & New Jersey Veterans of WWII
Delaware Memorial Bridge 1951 - 1968 South Span Dedicated August 18, 1951 North Span Dedicated September 12, 1968 Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey dedicated these Bridges on September 12, 1968 to the Men and Women of the State . . . — Map (db m68255) HM WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware River and Bay Authority Veterans Dedication
Dedicated to our Veterans Whose Loyalty and Service during times of war and peace define the character of this great Nation — Map (db m68462) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware River and Bay Authority Vietnam MemorialIn Memory of Vietnam War Dead
In Memory of Vietnam War Dead Dedicated to those from Delaware and New Jersey who made the Supreme Sacrifice in the Service of their Country — Map (db m68262) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware Street Wharf ReconstructionNov. 1982 - May 1983
The original landing was started during the 17th century of stone filled wood cribs, being enlarged several times. The city acquired ownership from the New Castle Frenchtown Railroad Co. in 1914, and rebuilt the wharf with a concrete face on new . . . — Map (db m57133) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Fort Casimir
was built by the Dutch in 1651 and recaptured by them from the Swedes, 1655. Site now lies beneath the Delaware 250 feet E.N.E. from this stone which is erected by the Delaware Society of the Colonial Dames of America, 1905, to commemorate the . . . — Map (db m57130) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Frenchtown Railroad Sleepers
These stones were sleepers in the New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad. Completed in 1831. The first railroad in Delaware and one of the first in the United States. — Map (db m25531) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — General Thomas Holcomb17th Commandant of the Marine Corps — 1936-1943
"You will be the first officer of the Corps to hold the rank of General - the highest rank in our Armed Forces. I know of no other officer to whom that distinction more fittingly belongs." - Secretary of the U.S. Navy, 1944

On December 1, . . . — Map (db m57127) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — George Read
born A.D. 1732 Died 21st September 1798 Member of the Congress of the Revolution. The Convention that framed the Constitution of the U. S. and of The first Senate under it. Judge of admiralty President and Chief Justice of Delaware and a signer of . . . — Map (db m54693) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-A9 — Gunning Bedford House
Built about 1760. Home of Gunning Bedford, eleventh governor of Delaware. Born 1742. Lieut-Col. in Haslet's Delaware Regiment. Wounded in Battle of White Plains 1776. Presidential Elector 1788. Also home of Caleb P. Bennett, twenty-ninth governor of . . . — Map (db m25558) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-A6 — Historic Museum
Rear of house built in seventeenth century. Main building built after 1738 by Dr. John Finney. Home of Nicholas Van Dyke, seventh Governor of Delaware. The marriage of Ann Van Dyke to Kensey Johns, Sr. took place here April 24, 1784. George . . . — Map (db m54703) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-A8 — Home of George Read
Site of home of George Read. Born September 18, 1733. Died September 21, 1798. Member of The Congress of the Revolution. The convention that framed The Constitution of The United States, and of the first senate under it. Judge of Admiralty, . . . — Map (db m25560) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — In Memory of Philip and Lydia Laird
Former owners of the Read House, their home for fifty-five years. They were longtime benefactors of New Castle doing much to encourage and promote the preservation and architectural beauty of this colonial town. — Map (db m54697) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Korean War Veterans MemorialThe Forgotten War — 1950-1953
. . . — Map (db m68655) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-25 — Landing Place of William Penn
Near here October 27, 1682, William Penn first stepped on American soil. He proceeded to the fort and performed Livery of Seisin. “He took the key, thereof,…we did deliver unto him 1 turf with a twig upon it, a porringer with river water and . . . — Map (db m3530) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-217 — Mount Salem U.M. Church
In 1854, a Methodist Society was organized in the African American community in New Castle. Not long after the society's inception, the group adopted the name Mount Salem Methodist Church and purchased land on which to build a church. Mount Salem's . . . — Map (db m94193) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-26 — New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad
Built 1832. One of first railroads in country. Extended from this point to Frenchtown on the Elk River. Important connecting link between the North and South. Absorbed by Delaware Railroad 1856. — Map (db m3549) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-13 — New Castle Common
This land is part of a tract of one thousand acres set apart by William Penn in 1701 for the inhabitants of the town of New Castle. Trustees were appointed and incorporated by Penn’s heirs in 1764, whose successors still hold and manage the land. — Map (db m3212) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — New Castle Court House 1732New Castle Historic District
New Castle Historic District has been designated a Registered National Historic National Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exception value in commemorating or illustrating the history of . . . — Map (db m64763) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-111 — New Castle United Methodist Church
The origin of Methodism in this community can be traced to the years prior to the American Revolution, when pioneering clergymen such as Thomas Webb and Francis Asbury visited here to spread the message of their faith. Due to the predominance of . . . — Map (db m54700) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-24 — Packet Alley
Packet boats from Philadelphia met stage coaches here for Frenchtown, Maryland, chief line of communication from North to Baltimore and South. Andrew Jackson, David Crockett, Daniel Webster, Henry Clay, Lord Ashburton, Sam Houston, Louis Napoleon, . . . — Map (db m25559) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Penn Farm
The 112-acre Penn Farm is the last surviving farm of the 1,068-acre New Castle Common. William Penn, Proprietor and Governor of Pennsylvania, made his warrant in writing under his hand and seal in October 1701, granting the New Castle Common . . . — Map (db m92288) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-75 — Presbyterian Church
Founded as a Dutch Reformed Church, 1657. The first building was on the Strand end of the church lot. This church was one of 7 which organized the first Presbytery in America in 1706. Present brick meeting house was built 1707. — Map (db m3383) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Read House & GardensDelaware Historical Society
In 1797 the foundation of George Read II's mansion was laid only feet from his statesman father's home on a busy New Castle street. By 1805 the stylish Federal period house towered over its neighbors. A fire claimed the home of George Read I, as . . . — Map (db m54704) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-134 — Site of Bellanca Airfield
An airfield, aircraft plant, and service hangar were built here in 1928 by Giuseppe Mario Bellanca and Henry B. duPont. An aviation pioneer, Bellanca immigrated from Italy in 1912. His plane Columbia was Charles Lindbergh's choice for a . . . — Map (db m14133) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-23 — Site of Fort Casimir
One hundred feet to the East of this point is the site of Fort Casimir. Erected by Dutch in 1651. Taken by Swedes 1654, called Fort Trafaldigheets or Trinity, retaken by Dutch under Petrus Stuyvesant in person September 11, 1655. — Map (db m25530) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-158 — St. John's Lodge no. 2Grand Lodge of Delaware, A.F.&A.M.
First chartered by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania as Lodge No. 33 on April 3, 1781. Early meetings were held alternately at Christiana Bridge and New Castle. This was one of four Lodges whose representatives gathered in Wilmington on June 6 and 7, . . . — Map (db m14134) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-28 — The Green or Market Plaine
Laid out by Petrus Stuyvesant, Dutch Governor, 1655. On this green stood the old jail and gallows. Here were held the great fairs and weekly markets from early times. — Map (db m3423) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-73 — The River Road
Portion of the early cart road laid out by Augustine Herrman, Lord of Bohemia Manor to connect his Maryland estate with Appoquinimink Creek and the Town of New Castle. Known as the “The Old Man’s Road”, this was one of the earliest links . . . — Map (db m64571) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — The Welcome Society of Pennsylvania
Honors the city of New Castle, Delaware where William Penn first landed in the New World, 27 October 1682. — Map (db m57128) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-A5 — Van Dyke House
Built about 1820 by Senator Nicholas Van Dyke. The marriage of Dorcas Van Dyke to Charles I. DuPont took place here Oct. 6, 1824. At this wedding the Marquis de LaFayette was a guest, and gave the bride in marriage. — Map (db m57131) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Wounded Combat Veterans Memorial — Dedicated to all men and women wounded in all wars
. . . — Map (db m68261) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-41 — American PositionBattle of Cooch's Bridge
On September 3, 1777, an American Light Infantry Corps composed of Continental soldiers from New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, with militia from Pennsylvania and Delaware, was stationed west of Christina Creek between Aikentown . . . — Map (db m14788) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-A7 — Battle of Cooch's Bridge
American light infantry and cavalry under General William Maxwell encountered advance guard of British and Hessian troops under Generals Howe, Cornwallis and Knyphausen in this vicinity September 3, 1777. American troops were expert marksmen drafted . . . — Map (db m9774) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-42 — British PositionBattle of Cooch's Bridge
On the morning of September 3, 1777, soldiers of the Hessian Field Jaeger Corps encountered American light infantry positioned in the woods and fields along this road, which led from Aikentown (Glasgow) to Cooch's Bridge. The Americans attacked the . . . — Map (db m57931) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-205 — Christiana Public School #111-C
Formal education for African American children in Christiana began in the 1880s with the construction of a one-room schoolhouse. Many African American schools in existence at this time were marked by dilapidated facilities, a lack of running water, . . . — Map (db m94284) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-106 — Deer Park Hotel
Since the mid-18th century an establishment for public hospitality has existed here. The first building, of wood construction, was known as St. Patrick's Inn. Famous visitors included surveyors Mason and Dixon. The property was purchased by James S. . . . — Map (db m9907) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Delaware's Field of Valor
On 3 September 1777 an American light infantry corps under the command of Brigadier General William Maxwell engaged British and Hessian forces here in the Battle of Cooch's Bridge. Maxwell's Corps was composed of soldiers from New Jersey, North . . . — Map (db m14789) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-83 — Eastburn-Jeanes Mining Complex(c. 1816 - 1900's)
This is the site of the Eastburn-Jeanes farms and mining industry. Marble from the Cockeysville Formation, found in three quarries in the area, was heated in kilns to produce quick lime for fertilizer and mortar. The lime was transported over . . . — Map (db m92273) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-104 — Ebenezer United Methodist Church
The first meetings of this congregation were held in the homes of its members. In 1824 a stone church building was erected at this location. The growth of the congregation resulted in the replacement of the original building by a one-story frame . . . — Map (db m10443) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Enjoy the Pencader Area Today
If you are just "passing through" or are a new resident or even a life-long Delawarean, we hope to spark your interest in the varied activities available in the Pencader Hundred Area. Whether your are experiencing these for the first time or . . . — Map (db m10871) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-115 — Head of Christiana Presbyterian Church
The first Presbyterian services in this area were conducted by Rev. John Wilson in 1706. Then pastor of New Castle Presbyterian Church, Rev. Wilson came every other Sunday to minister to the many residents of this area who had immigrated from . . . — Map (db m9979) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-159 — Hiram Lodge No. 25Grand Lodge of Delaware, A.F. & A.M.
By the 1780's members of the Masonic fraternity were organized and meeting locally. On December 6, 1802, a charter was issued by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania for Lodge No. 96 in Newark. This was one of four Lodges whose representatives gathered . . . — Map (db m9972) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Historic Iron Ore Mining
What is iron ore? Iron is a silvery-white, solid metal, though when found in Pencader Hundred, it commonly appears as a brown and sometimes nearly black oxide of iron. Its chemical symbol Fe, is derived from ferrum, the Latin word for . . . — Map (db m10705) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — In the BeginningFormation of the Delmarva Peninsula
Left Column Delaware is the second smallest state in the country. However, we played an important role in the formation of the nation. Caesar Rodney rode from Lewes to Philadelphia to cast the deciding vote for independence in 1776. We were . . . — Map (db m10867) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Iron Hill School #112CPreserving History: The African-American Community of Iron Hill
The Iron Hill Museum is dedicated to the study of human and natural history of the Iron Hill Area. The Museum is currently engaged in a project to restore the Iron Hill School #112C and document the experiences of African-American students who . . . — Map (db m10053) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-211 — Iron Hill School #112-C
The Iron Hill area was a community of African American farming and mining families. Constructed in 1923, Iron Hill School #112-C was one of over 80 schools built with funding from Pierre S. duPont, who sought to replace rundown public schools with . . . — Map (db m94286) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Iron Hill School #112-C
The Iron Hill Museum is dedicated to the study of human and natural history of the Iron Hill Area. The Museum is currently engaged in a project to restore the Iron Hill School #112C and document the experiences of African-American students who . . . — Map (db m94288) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-196 — Judge Morris Estate
This estate, now owned and operated by Delaware State Parks, was once known as Chestnut Hill and contains a manor house and approximately 500 acres of land. John Barclay acquired the property after the American Revolution and in 1792 built the main . . . — Map (db m92142) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-151 — Meeteer House
In the late 18th century a paper mill was established by Thomas Meeteer on the banks of nearby White Clay Creek. In later years Thomas was succeeded in business by his sons Samuel and William. the property on which this house stands was purchased by . . . — Map (db m9976) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Milling in Pencader Hundred
What is Milling? Milling is a process of taking whole bulbs, tubers, nuts, seeds, grains or other foods from its original size to a smaller size by pounding, grinding or rolling it until it is the consistency of a meal, flour or powder. Early . . . — Map (db m10712) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-130 — New Century Club
In 1893 a group of Newark women established a literary and social organization known as the Tuesday Club. Later renamed the New Century Club, the organization became part of the General Federation of Women's Clubs. Committed to matters of civic . . . — Map (db m9969) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-183 — New London Avenue School
The first documented public school for African-American youth in the Newark community was established in 1867 by the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands. This was one of several schools established in Delaware during the post Civil War . . . — Map (db m92143) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-35 — Newark Academy
Founded at New London, Pennsylvania, in 1741 by Rev. Dr. Francis Alison, removed in 1752 to Cecil County, Md., and in 1767 to Newark. Chartered by Thomas and Richard Penn 1769. Closed from 1777 to 1780 on account of Revolutionary War. Merged with . . . — Map (db m9781) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-206 — Newark Passenger Railroad Station
Designed by architect and engineer S.T. Fuller, the Newark Passenger Railroad Station was built in 1877 at a cost of over $9,000.00 by the Philadelphia, Willimgton and Baltimore Railroad (P. W. & B) to replace an earlier frame building. An article . . . — Map (db m94282) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-136 — Newark United Methodist Church
By 1799 a small group of Methodists was organized and meeting in the homes of its members in the Newark area. Desiring a permanent place of worship, the congregation built the town's first church building on land that was provided by Isaac Tyson at . . . — Map (db m9897) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-A3 — Old CollegeErected 1833-1834
This building contained a chapel (called the Oratory) class, dormitory, dining, administrative, and student society rooms. Newark College chartered February 5, 1833, opened its doors for instruction May 8, 1834. Name changed to Delaware College . . . — Map (db m92139) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Old Welsh Tract Church
Oldest Primitive Baptist Church in America. This marker was presented by Delaware Chapter - Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America. — Map (db m39553) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-139 — Oriental Lodge #12, I.O.O.F.
The origins of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows can be traced to the creation of beneficial trade societies in England. Composed of craftsmen who practiced a variety of different or "odd" occupations, the purpose of these organizations was to . . . — Map (db m9898) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-124 — Pencader Presbyterian Church
On October 15, 1701, William Penn granted 30,000 acres of land to William Davies, David Evans, and William Willis "in behalf of themselves and Company of new Welsh Purchasers." Known as the Welsh Tract, this expansive holding attracted large numbers . . . — Map (db m9773) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-203 — Poplar Hall
James Boulden the Elder and his family moved to Delaware from Maryland in the mid-18th century, amassing wealth and expanding their land ownership in Pencader Hundred as the century progressed. The two-story brick mansion house was built during this . . . — Map (db m94181) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-129 — Pride of Delaware Lodge #349 IBPOEW
The Improved Benevolent Protective Order of Elks of the World was formally organized in 1898. Designed to promote civic improvements, the IBPOEW is one of the largest fraternal organizations of its type in the world. Responding to the request of a . . . — Map (db m9974) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Purple Heart Trail in Delaware
Dedicated by Governor Jack A. Markell and the Military Order of the Purple Heart, Department of Delaware July 27, 2011 The National Purple Heart Trail Memorializes those heroic soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines who have had the Purple . . . — Map (db m65649) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-116 — R.T. Foard and Jones Funeral Home
Completed in 1886, this was the home and place of business of Theodore F. Armstrong, a prominent local merchant and civic leader. Reflecting the growing prosperity of the community and its residents, this hybrid of Queen Anne and Gothic architecture . . . — Map (db m9905) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-34 — Robert Kirkwood, Jr.
Born in 1756, Robert Kirkwood, Jr. spent his youth on the family farm several miles north of Newark. Kirkwood eventually enrolled at the Newark Academy, later to become the University of Delaware. When the American Revolution began, Kirkwood was . . . — Map (db m47261) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-172 — Salem United Methodist Church
The origin of Methodism in this part of Delaware can be traced to the early 1770's when a Methodist Society was organized and began meeting in the home of Isaac Hersey, a prominent farmer and miller. Through the efforts of Hersey's step-son William . . . — Map (db m94281) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-167 — St. John African Methodist Church
This congregation was organized circa 1848. Early meetings were held in a log cabin at this location on land that was conveyed to trustees of the "Protestant Methodist Church" in 1850. In 1866 the members of the First Colored Methodist Protestant . . . — Map (db m9968) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-122 — St. John the Baptist Church
In 1868, the original Old Village Presbyterian Church, which stood on this location, was purchased by Charles A. Murphey. The property was donated to the Catholic Diocese of Wilmington, and the church was named St. Patrick's. It became a mission of . . . — Map (db m9779) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Battle of Cooch's Bridge
On September 3, 1777 over 800 Americans forming the Light Infantry Corps of Brigadier General William Maxwell engaged about 2,000 British Light Infantry and Hessian and Anspach "Jägers" (light infantry) in a series of skirmishes ending at . . . — Map (db m10055) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Chambers House
Top Panel: A historic house leaves, then returns to the family. The story of the Chambers House begins in 1775 when Benjamin Chambers bought 250 acres of land and set up a sawmill on nearby White Clay Creek. His son Joseph built this house . . . — Map (db m72723) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Diamonds Walkway
The Diamonds Walkway recognizes donors who make leadership level gifts to the University of Delaware for five consecutive years as members of the Delaware Diamonds Society. Each brick in the walkway is inscribed to recognize the generosity of our . . . — Map (db m92140) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Judge Morris EstateThe Former Home of a Delaware Attorney and Judge
Built in the 1790s, this 2½ story gray fieldstone house is the former home of Judge Hugh M. Morris. Morris was a Delaware native, respected attorney and distinguished federal judge. He purchased the house and a large parcel of land here in . . . — Map (db m39506) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-182 — The Philadelphia CampaignBattle of Cooch's Bridge
In August 1777, British forces under the command of General William Howe landed at the Head of Maryland's Elk River. Their goal was the capture of Philadelphia, the capital of the young republic. On September 3, advancing troops were engaged by an . . . — Map (db m14787) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-36 — The Wedge
The wedge-shape tract, west of the Maryland and Delaware curve, consists of approximately 800 acres of land. For more than a century, the property was claimed by Pennsylvania but governed by Delaware. In 1889, a joint committee appointed from both . . . — Map (db m9961) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Veterans Memorial
In memory of the men from Newark who gave their lives in World War II and in honor of those who served in the great wars Ralph E. Adams • Woodrow W. Gravenor • Harold N. Sheaffer Robert G. Allen • Charles W. Greer, Jr. • Ralph R. Skillman James . . . — Map (db m9901) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-195 — Vic Willis
Victor Gazaway Willis was born April 12, 1876 and spent his youth and much of his life in Newark, Delaware. He attended and played baseball for Delaware College (now the University of Delaware) in 1897. The Delaware Peach," as he was known, became . . . — Map (db m92141) HM

600 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 350
Paid Advertisement
Categories20th CenturyAbolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansAgricultureAir & SpaceAnimalsAntebellum South, USAnthropologyArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicAsian AmericansBridges & ViaductsCemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Civil RightsColonial EraCommunicationsDisastersEducationEntertainmentEnvironmentExplorationForts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentHeroesHispanic AmericansHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsLandmarksMan-Made FeaturesMilitaryNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPaleontologyPatriots & PatriotismPeacePolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersSportsWar of 1812War, 1st Iraq & Desert StormWar, 2nd IraqWar, AfghanistanWar, ColdWar, French and IndianWar, KoreanWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWar, VietnamWar, World IWar, World IIWars, Non-USWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
States or ProvincesAlabamaAlaskaAlbertaArizonaArkansasBritish ColumbiaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineManitobaMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew BrunswickNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNewfoundland and LabradorNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNova ScotiaOhioOklahomaOntarioOregonPennsylvaniaPrince Edward IslandPuerto RicoQuebecRhode IslandSaskatchewanSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingYukon Territory
CountriesArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBelgiumBelizeBrazilCanadaChinaCosta RicaCzech RepublicDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuyanaHondurasHungaryIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaKiribatiLiechtensteinLuxembourgMalaysiaMexicoNetherlands AntillesNew ZealandNicaraguaPalestinian TerritoriesPhilippinesRussiaSaint LuciaScotland, UKSingaporeSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSwedenSwitzerlandThailandTurkeyTurks and Caicos IslandsU.S Virgin IslandsUkraineUnited KingdomUnited States of America