Banker Archibald McLachlan and Smithsonian Institution naturalist George Brown Goode developed Lanier Heights in the early 1890s. Goode laid out streets and encouraged Smithsonian colleagues to purchase lots. McLachlan built the elegant Ontario . . . — Map (db m17295) HM
During the Civil War (1861-1865), the Union Army Carver Hospital and barracks occupied Meridian Hill. The facilities attracted African American freedom seekers looking for protection and employment. By war’s end, a Black community had put down . . . — Map (db m17032) HM
Long before Europeans arrived, Meridian Hill was a sacred place for Native Americans. As recently as 1992, a delegation of Native Americans walked across the continent to this park to mourn the 500th anniversary of Columbus’s arrival. They were . . . — Map (db m16910) HM
As you look up the hill, you can see Peter C. L’Enfant’s 1791 plan for Washington ended up here in front of you at Boundary Avenue, now Florida Avenue. Back then, when people walked or rode in horse-drawn vehicles, it was hard to climb this steep . . . — Map (db m16893) HM
This is the heart of Washington’s Latino community. Once centered here and in nearby Mount Pleasant and Columbia Heights, the community now extends throughout the region.
As early as the 1910s, the Mexican, Ecuadoran, Cuban, and Spanish . . . — Map (db m17167) HM
In 1947, the building on your left opened as the National Arena, a public roller rink and bowling alley. It also hosted professional wrestling, roller derbies, and rock concerts. In 1986 it became the Citadel Motion Picture Center, where portions of . . . — Map (db m17031) HM
Beyond Ward Circle to your left is the campus of American University, chartered by
Congress in 1893. Methodist Bishop John Fletcher Hurst guided the university’s development as a center for training future public servants. With its schools in . . . — Map (db m51839) HM
From 1927 until the late 1950s, the landscaped grounds across the street were the Hillcrest Children’s Center. It was founded downtown in 1814 as the Washington City Orphan Asylum by Marcia Burnes Van
Ness and President Madison’s wife Dolley. The . . . — Map (db m80468) HM
Civil War Defenses of Washington 1861-1865. No visible evidence remains of Fort Bayard, which stood at the top of this hill. Named for Brig. Gen. George Bayard, mortally wounded at the Battle of Fredericksburg on December 13, 1862. — Map (db m124) HM
Son of Massachusetts • Graduate of Harvard College • Judge and legislator • Delegate 1780–1781 to the Continental Congress • Soldier of three wars • First commander of patriot forces. — Map (db m48362) HM
When NBC radio and television and its local affiliate,
WRC, moved to these new headquarters in 1958, the average TV screen measured 12 inches. The facility opened with six studios—three TV and three radio. Soon history happened here.
On . . . — Map (db m47866) HM
The U.S. Navy arrived across the street at 3801 Nebraska
Avenue during World War II, taking the Colonial style red-brick campus of Mount Vernon Seminary for secret “essential wartime activities.” Soon more than 5,000 workers occupied . . . — Map (db m47787) HM
In 1867 the U.S. Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands (Freedmen’s Bureau) purchased 375 acres from white farmers David and Julia Barry to resettle formerly enslaved African Americans. By 1870 more than 500 families had purchased lots . . . — Map (db m33732) HM
Earthworks of Battery Ricketts are visible inside the wooded area in front of you. Battery Ricketts, built to defend an area in front of Fort Stanton, was named for Maj. Gen. James B. Ricketts. — Map (db m10622) HM
Campbell AME, established in 1867 as Mount Zion AME, was an outgrowth of its overcrowded parent church, Allen Chapel AME, founded in 1850. When it moved to a location near the present one in 1890, Mount Zion was renamed for AME Bishop Jabez B. . . . — Map (db m33749) HM
Earthworks of Fort Carroll are visible 100 yards to the right at the top of the hill. Fort Carroll was named in honor of Maj. Gen. Samuel Sprigg Carroll, a West Point graduate from the District of Columbia. — Map (db m10614) HM
Earthworks of Fort Greble are visible beyond this exhibit. Fort Greble was named in honor of Lt. John T. Greble, slain at the Battle of Big Bethel, June 10, 1861, the first U.S. Military Academy graduate killed in the Civil War. — Map (db m40866) HM
Earthworks of Fort Stanton are visible in the wooded area 200 yards in front of you.
Diagram: Fort Stanton from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers drawing.
Fort Stanton was named for Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton, was the first fort . . . — Map (db m46623) HM
Also known as Cedar Hill, this site encompasses the estate owned by Frederick Douglass from 1877 until his death in 1895. In honor of Douglass’ work as an author, orator, abolitionist, statesman, and civil rights leader, this site is designated a . . . — Map (db m40846) HM
Re-dedication April 25, 2006.
This community landmark represents the Curtis Companies long standing allegience to the neighborhood and steadfast committment to unity, prosperity and good will to all Washingtonians and friends of Anacostia. . . . — Map (db m5446) HM
Here stood Frederick Douglass’ rustic retreat from domestic society, where he could think, read and write undisturbed. Evoking the image of a lion’s lair, he called his hideaway the Growlery. It was simply furnished with a lounge, a high desk and a . . . — Map (db m5362) HM
Presented to Curtis Bros. for their outstanding leadership and service to the public by the Basset Furniture Industries.
The chair made of solid Honduras mahogany is 19½ feet tall and weighs 4600 pounds.
Designer: Leo M. . . . — Map (db m5459) HM
Hearing those words, President Abraham Lincoln ducked down from the Fort Stevens parapet during the Civil War battle that stopped the Confederates from taking Washington. On July 9, 1864, some 15,000 Rebels led by General Jubal A. Early defeated . . . — Map (db m72829) HM
Elizabeth Proctor Thomas (1821-1917), a free Black woman whose image appears on each Brightwood Heritage Trail sign, once owned 11 acres in this area. Known, respectfully in her old age as "Aunt Betty," Thomas and her husband James farmed and kept . . . — Map (db m72830) HM
No visible evidence remains of Fort Slocum, which stood here and across Kansas Avenue to your left. Cannon mounted at Fort Totten helped repulse a Confederate attack on Fort Stevens, July 11-12, 1864. — Map (db m3012) HM
Across Quackenbos Street is Emory United Methodist Church. Named to honor Bishop John Emory of Maryland (1789-1835), the congregation dates from 1832.
From the beginning, Emory welcomed all races but, like most Washington churches then, seated . . . — Map (db m72827) HM
Named in honor of Dr. Charles Richard Drew, 1904-1950 esteemed citizen of the District of Columbia athlete, scholar, surgeon, and scientist whose discoveries in blood preservation saved thousands of lives. — Map (db m6262) HM
Acacia Life Insurance Building – 1936
On March 3, 1869, President Andrew Johnson signed the Congressional Act chartering
The Masonic Mutual Relief Association that
became Acacia Life Insurance Company.
Built as its headquarters . . . — Map (db m41886) HM
This is Christ Church, Washington Parish, the first Episcopal church established in Washington City (1794), and attended by Presidents Thomas Jefferson and John Quincy Adams.
At first Christ Church met in a nearby tobacco warehouse. In 1806 . . . — Map (db m39235) HM
The original Library of Congress occupied a room in the U.S. Capitol. When British troops burned the Capitol in 1814, the collection was destroyed. After the war Thomas Jefferson helped re-establish the library by selling to Congress at a . . . — Map (db m80848) HM
Established by order of President Thomas Jefferson 1805, this building constructed 1873, designed by Adolf Cluss, additions 1907-8 by Snowden Ashford.
Eastern Market, one of three public markets proposed in L’Enfant’s Plan, was established in . . . — Map (db m20358) HM
Ebenezer United Methodist Church is Capitol Hill’s oldest independent Black congregation.
Ebenezer UMC was founded in 1827 by African Americans who left a biracial church on Capitol Hill because the White congregants practiced segregation. The . . . — Map (db m30053) HM
In grateful memory of Abraham Lincoln. This monument was erected by the Western Sanitary Commission of Saint Louis, Mo., with funds contributed solely by emancipated Citizens of the United States declared free by his Proclamation, January 1st . . . — Map (db m41617) HM
In 1866 the Navy completed the hospital you see across the street to treat injured and ailing seamen. With beds for 50, it included the carriage house/stable and cast-iron fence and (around the corner) the gazebo. Its front door originally was on E . . . — Map (db m50813) HM
You are standing in one of Washington’s remaining inhabited alleys, behind the buildings that face G, E (there is no F Street here), Sixth and Seventh streets. In 1897 the alley had 22 tiny dwellings sheltering well over 100 . . . — Map (db m39275) HM
[Panel 1 of the historical narrative at memorial entrance]:
On February 19, 1942, 73 days after the United States entered World War II, President Franklin Roosevelt issued Executive Order 9066 which resulted in the removal of 120,000 . . . — Map (db m40541) HM
Latrobe Gate Designed by Benjamin Henry Latrobe in 1804, the gate and flanking guardhouses were constructed in the Greek Revival style. This style became very popular in the young nation, and the original section of the gate represents one of . . . — Map (db m28348) HM
1875–1955 Let her works praise her. I leave you love. • I leave you hope. • I leave you the challenge of developing confidence in one another. • I leave you a thirst for education. • I leave you a respect for the use of power. • I . . . — Map (db m5505) HM
(Inscription, south face of monument base:)
Sacred to the memory of
Nathanael Greene, Esquire,
a native of the State of Rhode Island
who died on the 19th of June 1786 -
late Major General in the service of the U.S. . . . — Map (db m30771) HM
On your left is Marine Barracks Washington, D.C., the oldest continuously manned post in the U.S. Marine Corps. The installation was originally designed by architect George Hadfield in 1801 with a central parade ground and housing for 500 enlisted . . . — Map (db m10834) HM
This Skystream 3.7 residential turbine is a new generation of wind generator that hooks directly to your home to reduce or eliminate your monthly electric bill. It’s designed to provide quiet, clean electricity in very low winds. How can a wind . . . — Map (db m49642) HM
You are looking at a Windspire, a vertical-axis wind turbine that generates electricity from wind power. This model produces about 2,000 kWh of electricity a year in an area with average wind speeds of 12 mph (about ¼ the needs of the average . . . — Map (db m49643) HM
The Old Brick Capitol
July 4, 1815 The cornerstone of the Old Brick Capitol built by Washington citizens to house the Congress was laid on this site. The Congress met here from December 13, 1815 through March 3, 1819. President Monroe was . . . — Map (db m39411) HM
One of the icons of world architecture, the U.S. Capitol has been the meeting place of Congress since 1800. President George Washington laid the cornerstone on September 18, 1793. While under construction, the the building was damaged by British . . . — Map (db m40117) HM
[Diagram of Capitol Square - East and West Plazas]
General Plan for the Improvement of the U.S. Capitol Grounds by Frederick Law Olmstead, 1874
Following the extension of the Capitol in the 1850s-1860s, the grounds were . . . — Map (db m27891) HM
The white brick wall in front of you marks the original northern boundary of the Navy Yard. The yard grew from its original 12 acres to 128 acres at its peak in 1962. In 2003 it consisted of 73 acres with 55 acres making up the adjacent Southeast . . . — Map (db m10822) HM
In front of you is the main gate of the Washington Navy Yard, established in 1799. It is the U.S. Navy's oldest shore facility in continuous use. Over time, workers here have built and repaired ships and their fittings, designed and developed . . . — Map (db m10835) HM
Earthworks of Fort De Russy are visible; follow path to your right for 200 years.
[drawing of fort] Fort De Russy from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers drawing.
Cannon mounted at Fort De Russy helped repulse a Confederate attack on Fort . . . — Map (db m20822) HM
Built in 1861 to protect the Rock Creek Valley during the Civil War, Fort DeRussy's cannon fired a total of 109 projectiles into the northern countryside as 12,000-15,000 Confederate soldiers attacked the city under the command of Confederate . . . — Map (db m20824) HM
dragons to bring rain, prosperity and friendship
More than 280 dragons, crowned by 700 glazed tiles, look down from the Chinatown Friendship Archway before you. Symbols of the spirits that bring rain and prosperity in China, these . . . — Map (db m26935) HM
This friendship archway was erected by the District of Columbia and the Municipality of Beijing, 1986.
Marion Barry, Jr.
Mayor of Washington, D.C.
Mayor, Beijing Municipal Government — Map (db m9161) HM
"The nest in which the egg was hatched."President Andrew Johnson, April 1865. The building at 604 H Street, today Golo’s Chinese Restaurant, is intimately connected with the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln at . . . — Map (db m16585) HM
Frank D. Reeves (1916–1973), a lawyer and civil
rights activist, was part of the team that shaped the
1954 Brown v. Board of Education Supreme Court
case outlawing school segregation. He advised
Senator John F. Kennedy on minority . . . — Map (db m24679) HM
Dr. Charles R. Drew (1904-1950), renowned for his blood plasma research, was associated with Howard University College of Medicine during most of his career. In 1941 Drew joined a national effort to set up a blood banking process but left because . . . — Map (db m65523) HM
Wayland Seminary opened in Foggy Bottom just after the Civil War to train formerly enslaved people and others as “preachers and teachers for the South” and as missionaries to evangelize Africa. In 1875 it moved here, later merging with . . . — Map (db m23947) HM
Organized September 1928 at M Street and New York Avenue
Moved February 19, 1933
to Ninth Street and Rhode
Island Avenue, N.W.
Moved August 1950 to Thirteenth
and Clifton Street, N.W. — Map (db m23651) HM
Marker Front: Fourteenth Street has always been the business backbone of Columbia Heights. Beginning in the 1890s, electric streetcars dropped passengers at nearly every corner, attracting commerce. By 1925 storefronts occupied the blocks . . . — Map (db m23705) HM
For Nearly 50 Years, this corner was home to Nob Hill Restaurant, one of the nation's first openly gay bars for-and run by-African Americans.
Started in the 1950s as a private social club, Nob Hill went public in 1957. Patrons enjoyed . . . — Map (db m86014) HM
In the days of legally segregated public education (1862-1954), this school building was Central High, the gem of the School Board’s white division. But by 1949, it had few students, as the post-World War II suburban housing boom had drawn whites . . . — Map (db m23608) HM
Straight ahead is All Souls Church, Unitarian, long known for its social activism, starting with abolitionism in the 1820s and ranging through nuclear disarmament and interracial cooperation. During the segregation era, All Souls was one of the few . . . — Map (db m24152) HM
The stone marking the Washington Meridian was formerly located 52 feet, nine inches west of this tablet which was presented by the Army and Navy Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. — Map (db m82518) HM
To your right it is the former Merritt Educational Center which operated from 1943 to 2008. However, if you were standing here in the 1920s or '30s, in its place you would have seen exuberant crowds of fashionably dressed African Americans enjoying . . . — Map (db m24519) HM
Up the Hill to your left are several signature handcrafted houses, Beginning in the late 1800s, Deanwood attracted skilled black migrants, who freely passed on their know-how.
In the 1920s Jacob and Randolph Dodd built about 50 structures in . . . — Map (db m81451) HM
[The Great Seal of the United States]
In 1800, the building erected on this site by Samuel Blodget was the scene of the first theatrical performance given in Washington.
From 1812 to 1836 it sheltered the city post office and, for part of . . . — Map (db m28534) HM
With these legendary words, naval officer David G. Farragut led the Union fleet past Confederate mines (then called torpedoes) and to victory at the Battle of Mobile Bay on August 5, 1864. From the rigging of his flagship, USS Hartford, . . . — Map (db m4104) HM
“Tonight, beautiful women, perfume, and the violins’ sweetness ... [yet during the war] the amputation, the blue face, the groan, the glassy eye of the dying.” Walt Whitman
At 10:30 p.m. on March 4, 1865, a tired and gaunt . . . — Map (db m28665) HM
From the top floor of this building was sent on June 3, 1880 over a beam of light to 1325 L Street, the first wireless telephone message in the history of the world. The apparatus used in sending the message was the photophone invented by Alexander . . . — Map (db m17569) HM
[ on the front (south face) of pedestal :]
First Secretary of the Treasury
Soldier, Orator, Statesman
Champion of Constitutional Union, Representative Government and National Integrity . . . — Map (db m32740) HM
Governor, Territory of the District of Columbia (1873-1874) born Washington, D.C. January 31, 1835 died Batopilas, Mexico, September 12, 1902
buried Rock Creek Cemetery, Washington, D.C. Civil War Union veteran, entrepreneur, civil leader . . . — Map (db m65158) HM
Stories of slavery and freedom, of struggle and achievement are woven through the history of this African American congregation. Founded in 1836, by the time of the Civil War Asbury United Methodist Church was the preeminent Black church in the . . . — Map (db m70316) HM
[north face :]
Erected by the Congress of the United States to
Frederick William Aug- ustus Henry Ferdinand Baron von Steuben in grateful recognition of his services to the American people in their struggle for . . . — Map (db m32878) HM
(Bronze Plaque):Brigadier General Casimir Pulaski 1748-1779The bronze equestrian statue of Brigadier General Casimir Pulaski, portrays the Revolutionary War hero in the uniform of a Polish cavalry commander. Born in Winiary, Poland on March . . . — Map (db m17615) HM
700 Jackson Place has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America National Park Service 1974 From 1910 to 1948 it served as the first . . . — Map (db m32879) HM
This majestic building was opened in 1903 as the Central Public Library, popularly known as the Carnegie Library because Andrew Carnegie donated funds to build it. From the start Central was open to all. Mary Church Terrell and historian John . . . — Map (db m18794) HM
Here stood the first Children's Hospital of Washington, DC. Opened as a rented rowhouse in 1871, the hospital had a capacity of 12 beds and had only four doctors on staff. Now internationally recognized, Children's National Medical Center is proud . . . — Map (db m59703) HM
“I have paid the rent of a room in Washington ... retaining it merely as a shelter to which I might return when my strength should fail me under exposure and labor at the field.” Clara Barton, December 1863.
In November . . . — Map (db m36174) HM
This monument, erected on the occasion of the 1992 Quincentennial Jubilee celebrating the discovery of America, pays tribute to Cristoforo Colombo and his seafaring companions. Their bold voyage led to a historic encounter between the European . . . — Map (db m80469) HM
Daniel Patrick Moynihan wrote the Guiding Principles for Federal Architecture and the proposal for the redevelopment of Pennsylvania Avenue, which President John F. Kennedy proclaimed on May 23, 1962.
He served in the . . . — Map (db m49586) HM
(Upper Plaque): Decatur House Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the . . . — Map (db m31101) HM
Originally State, War, and Navy Departments Constructed 1871-1888 South Wing Ground broken June 1871 Completed December 1875 East Wing Ground broken July 1872 Completed April 1879 North Wing Ground broken July 1879 Completed December 1882 West . . . — Map (db m71253) HM
From 1924 to 1938, rooms of the Lee House were the first headquarters of the reserve officers association of the United States. Founded in 1922 by General of the Armies John J. Pershing to assure an adequate national security, ROA had as an early . . . — Map (db m4052) HM
This plaque marks the home of Francis Preston Blair (1791-1876) Founder and Editor of The Globe (1830-1845) A newspaper which championed Democratic causes and vigorous journalism notably during the administration of President Andrew Jackson . . . — Map (db m4047) HM
This urban oasis exists because President Andrew Jackson needed water. The site of excellent springs (a rare commodity in the early city when everyone was dependent on private wells), this square was purchased by the federal government in 1832 so . . . — Map (db m29594) HM
On this site stood the principal office of the Freedman’s Savings and Trust Company founded on March 3, 1865 to receive deposits from former slaves. Frederick Douglass served as its last president. The bank was closed on June 29, 1874. The building . . . — Map (db m32482) HM
“I have a dream.” Martin Luther King, Jr. August 1963
The block-long plaza at 13th and Pennsylvania Avenue just ahead to your left honors civil rights leader Martin Luther King . . . — Map (db m28528) HM
General Post Office has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the . . . — Map (db m28536) HM
This church, one of the Nation’s most historic, traces its beginnings to a small group of Scottish stonemasons meeting in a carpenter’s shop on the grounds of the White House during its construction in 1793. Many prominent Americans, including 17 . . . — Map (db m2115) HM
White House policeman who gave his life in defense of the President of the United States here at the Blair House, November 1, 1950 "For loyalty, bravery and heroism beyond the call of duty." Presented by National Sojourners in commemoration of his . . . — Map (db m73876) HM
When the historic character of Lafayette Square was severely threatened during her husband’s administration, it was preserved with the vision and dedicated efforts of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy. This view from Decatur House is dedicated to . . . — Map (db m32135) HM
Born in France, widely travelled, he died at age 90 near Paris, proud citizen of a united Europe he inspired and helped to create. Earlier, from his office in the Willard Hotel, he contributed greatly to America's victory program for wartime . . . — Map (db m6708) HM
This Plaque is Dedicated to
John J. Donovan, Jr.
who was a leading figure in Washington, D.C. commercial real estate development for over three decades (mostly with Oliver Carr Companies) until his retirement in 2005. John directed the . . . — Map (db m40992) HM
On 6 April 1917, the United States entered World War I. With few regular forces, the task of training and transporting an effective army to fight in France was formidable. The U.S. Navy, acting swiftly to combat the German . . . — Map (db m29593) HM
“My brother saw Booth as he came down the alley and turned into F Street.” Henry Davis, 1901.
Twelve-year-old Henry Davis and his brother often looked out the back window of their Ninth Street home before they went to bed. They . . . — Map (db m28492) HM
In honor of Julia Ward Howe who wrote the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" here at the Old Willard Hotel November 21, 1861 "In the beauty of the lillies Christ was born across the sea with a glory in his bosom that transfigures you and me." . . . — Map (db m6709) HM
(Front):Kosciuszko Saratoga(Right): General Thaddeus Kosciuszko 1745-1817 Son of Poland (Left):Military Engineer In the American Revolution Fortified Saratoga and West Point (Back):"And freedom shrieked as Kosciuszko . . . — Map (db m19992) HM
The Linotype was introduced in Baltimore in 1883 by Ottmar Mergenthaler, a German-born inventor. By replacing hand-set type with machine-set type, the speed of composition was vastly increased by this important advance in printing.
This machine . . . — Map (db m29511) HM
“Hay for the horses, produce for the table, live chickens for the pot, and a hat for your head.”
All this and more could be had right here during the Civil War. The triangular area just ahead to your left was called Major Space. . . . — Map (db m27529) HM
Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church was founded in the District of Columbia in 1838. It is the oldest A.M.E. church and the oldest continuously black-owned property in Washington, D.C. - the Nation's Capital. The church . . . — Map (db m18028) HM
This church started on Capitol Hill in 1821 as Israel Bethel, was founded by African Americans denouncing White racism at Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church. Later, Pastor Henry McNeal Turner helped persuade President Lincoln to accept Black . . . — Map (db m30056) HM
Office, 3rd Floor, Room 9
Miss Clara Barton
Clara Barton is famous for her fierce determination and courage to save lives on the Civil War battlefields, and later for founding the American Red Cross.
1861-1865: . . . — Map (db m36172) HM
At this site, at the Willard InterContinental Hotel in March 1908, the National Press Club, now located at 529 14th Street, was formed through the adoption of a constitution and bylaws and the election of the club's first officers.
The . . . — Map (db m6586) HM
“The churches are needed as never before for divine services,” President Abraham Lincoln
So said President Lincoln from his pew in New York Avenue Presbyterian Church. While other churches were occupied by the federal government . . . — Map (db m32926) HM
Dedicated 1876 - Restored 1975
Listed on the United States Register of Historic Places and
an officially designated Landmark of the District of Columbia
Maintained by the Jewish Historical Society of
Greater Washington as the . . . — Map (db m29797) HM
“Main Street” for the city and the nation.
Just a few steps ahead is Pennsylvania Avenue the inaugural parade route for every president since Thomas Jefferson and “Main Street” for local Washington since the city’s . . . — Map (db m29651) HM
At this site on the 2nd of October 1922 General of the Armies John J. Pershing met with 140 World War I reserve officers and founded the Reserve Officers Association of the United States. At the meeting General Pershing said: "I consider this . . . — Map (db m6503) HM
[Sketch of townhouses along Jackson Place, NW - the western border of Lafayette Square - behind which the White House Conference Center was constructed in the 1960s & 70s.]
Dedicated to those whose spirit and vision helped to preserve . . . — Map (db m32421) HM
Built in 1799, in the hope that the new capital would become a great city.
Opened as a tavern and inn by William Rhodes, 1801.
Washington's first 'town hall,' where White House architect James Hoban and other . . . — Map (db m39618) HM
First church to be erected in the "Federal City" outside the limits of "George Towne." First pastor, Rev. Anthony Caffrey, brought from Dublin at suggestion of James Hoban, architect of the "Presidential Palace."
March 17, 1953. — Map (db m15936) HM
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States U.S. . . . — Map (db m71233) HM
You’re standing at the National Archives Building, the first permanent repository for the original records of the federal government. They include the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights, displayed inside with . . . — Map (db m56901) HM
National Historical Marker The Blair House Purchased in 1836 by Francis P. Blair, Sr., friend of Andrew Jackson, publisher of the Washington "Globe" and the "Congressional Globe." Inherited by his son, Montgomery Blair, Attorney for Dred Scott, . . . — Map (db m23493) HM
America's oldest existing religious newspaper was first published on this city block at 925 E Street on February 2, 1822. Founded by the legendary Baptist leader Luther Rice, the paper was originally known as The Columbian Star and utilized . . . — Map (db m28559) HM
“Carpets, cushions, and hymnbooks were packed away ... ambulances began to stop ... lastly come the surgeons....” Margaret Leech, Reveille in Washington.
Church spires dominated the skyline of the city of Washington at the . . . — Map (db m29618) HM
The Cosmos Club, founded in 1878 for “The advancement of its members in science, literature, and art,” occupied several houses on Lafayette Square from 1882 to 1952 including the adjacent Madison and Tayloe Houses and this building, . . . — Map (db m2173) HM
[Inscription on Monument's front, 1890]:
[Inscription on 1890 monument's south side]:
To commemorate the half century in photography 1839 - 1889. Erected by the photographers association of America Aug. 1890. . . . — Map (db m28545) HM
Site of dwelling house owned by Ex-President of the United States James Madison 1828 to 1836 ———— Home of his widow Mrs. Dolly Payne Madison 1837 to 1849 ———— Home of Rear Admiral Charles Wilkes, . . . — Map (db m2174) HM
The John A. Wilson Building is headquarters of the local government that serves the nearly 600,000 citizens who call the Nation's capital their home. The Mayor and the 13-member Council, elected by residents of the District of Columbia, oversee all . . . — Map (db m65712) HM
Erected 1858 Home of Rear Admiral Samuel Phillips Lee, U.S. Navy and Elizabeth Blair Lee, to whom it was given by her father, Francis Preston Blair. Admiral Lee commanded the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron during the Civil War. Home also of . . . — Map (db m4050) HM
The old Willard Hotel was the scene of the last major effort to restore the Union and prevent the Civil War. At Virginia's invitation, delegates from twenty-one of the then thirty-four states met in secret session from February 4 to 27, 1861, in a . . . — Map (db m6541) HM
These five landmark buildings on the 800 block of F Street have been restored by Douglas Jamel in conjunction with the International Spy Museum. Erected between 1875 and 1892, the structures are fine examples of Victorian commercial architecture and . . . — Map (db m28540) HM
“It is known to you that events have transpired within the last few days, deeply affecting the peace and character of our community.”
With these words, city officials tried to calm the angry mobs gathering on this corner in April . . . — Map (db m25271) HM
The United States Court of Claims held its first meeting in "Willard's Hotel" on this site on May 11, 1855. The court was established to allow citizens to sue the U.S. Government. In 1861, President Lincoln wrote of the court:
"It is as . . . — Map (db m6587) HM
Billions for the war, and a bunker for the president The grand, pillared United States Treasury building that stands before you, its first section designed by Robert Mills in 1836, was the financial command center for the Union. It was here . . . — Map (db m29578) HM
The White House is the oldest public building in the District of Columbia, and 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is the most famous address in the United States. Here, every President except George Washington, has conducted the government of the Nation. . . . — Map (db m10127) HM
These five-inch brass trophy guns were captured from the Spanish Arsenal at Cavete [sic], in the Phillipine [sic] Islands on May 1, 1898, following the defeat of the Spanish Squadron in Manila Bay by the United States Navy. Admiral . . . — Map (db m71257) HM
This monument was erected by public subscription in accordance with the joint resolution of Congress of December 16, 1927. Signed by President Coolidge March 2, 1929, in memory of
Oscar S. Straus
1850 - 1926
Author . . . — Map (db m9159) HM
Inscription above the frieze, center, west side entablature:
The Post Office Department, in its ceaseless labors, pervades every channel of commerce and every theatre of human enterprise, and while visiting, as it does kindly every . . . — Map (db m49587) HM
"No nation perhaps had ever before the opportunity offer'd them of deliberately deciding on the spot where their Capital city should be fixed..." - Peter C. L'Enfant to George Washington, September 11, 1789 A new nation faced dissolution. . . . — Map (db m60127) HM
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States U.S. . . . — Map (db m2122) HM
“These voices cry out to all, and they’re legion,” President George W. Bush, June 12, 2007"
The Victims of Communism Memorial enshrines the more than 100 million men, women, and children struck down by 20th century totalitarian . . . — Map (db m36178) WM
Friendship between the United States and Canada was developed and strengthened by the signing of the Webster-Ashburton Treaty, on August 9, 1842, in the old State Department building which stood on this site. This treaty established the north- . . . — Map (db m17617) HM
Western Plaza consists of a large raised terrace in which part of L'Enfant's original 1791 plan for Washington, D.C. is rendered in black and white stone. At one end of the raised terrace is a pool. At the other is a shaded sitting area around a . . . — Map (db m17966) HM
”. . . Now I shall plant, if at all, more for the public than for myself.”
John Quincy Adams, diary entry for July 5, 1826, shortly before beginning the first major planting program at the White House. Massachusetts . . . — Map (db m61677) HM
"This hotel, in fact, may be much more justly called the center of Washington and the Union than either the Capitol, the White House or the State Department. . ." Nathaniel Hawthorne, Civil War reporter for the Atlantic Monthly At 6:30 a.m. . . . — Map (db m10905) HM
"On no earthly account will I do any act or think any thought hostile to or in defiance of the old government of the United States." Alexandria, Louisiana, January 18, 1861 "Wars legitimate object is more perfect peace." Washington, D.C., February . . . — Map (db m8350) HM
"Alvin, Washington, D.C. is the place for us." So wrote Samuel Walter Woodward to his business partner, Alvin Lothrop, in 1879. The young entrepreneurs were looking for a new location for their innovative dry goods store near Boston, . . . — Map (db m37223) HM
[rendering of Mercury’s winged helmet]
[plaque in sidewalk below:]
The U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey determined the latitude, longitude and elevation of the Zero Milestone. Authorized . . . — Map (db m32486) HM
Signer of the Declaration of Independence.
“For my own part, of property I have some reputation more that reputation staked. That property is pledged on the issue of this contest: and although these gray hairs . . . — Map (db m29499) HM
Smaller plaque on the urn El recuerdo del “Maine” tendrá eterna duración durante los siglos los lazos de la amistad entre la tierra de Cuba y la tierra de los Estados Unidos de Norte América. —Gerardo Machado
Plaque . . . — Map (db m7871) HM
The broadest and most important street in Pierre L'Enfant's Plan of 1791 for the nation's capital connects to the Capitol and the White House. Pennsylvania Avenue. Almost every American knows its name. Almost every visitor to the Washington sets . . . — Map (db m57215) HM
The imposing Ariel Rios Building opened in 1934 to house the U.S. Post Office Department. Architect William A. Delano, of the New York firm Delano and Aldrich, drew inspiration from Paris and other European cities to design the building's unusual . . . — Map (db m57207) HM
Woodrow Wilson Plaza honors President Woodrow Wilson, noted scholar and former president of Princeton University. Located just inside the Ronald Reagan building ahead is the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, the nation's memorial to . . . — Map (db m57208) HM
The Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center honoring the 40th president, filled the last open space in the Federal Triangle. When former First Lady Nancy Reagan dedicated it in 1998, the redevelopment of this area of Pennsylvania . . . — Map (db m57205) HM
The roots of America's top law enforcement agency, the Department of Justice, reach back to 1789. That year the first Congress created the Office of the Attorney General to prosecute lawsuits in the Supreme Court and advise the President and the . . . — Map (db m57214) HM
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, whose mission is to protect human health and the environment, has occupied the majority of offices in this block since 2001. EPA West (this building), the adjacent Mellon Auditorium, and the EPA East . . . — Map (db m57210) HM
The Federal Bureau of Investigation is headquartered across Pennsylvania Avenue from this spot. Thanks to popular media, it may be one of the better-known government agencies. Since the 1930s Hollywood has found great stories among the "G-men" . . . — Map (db m57218) HM
The National Archives, keeper of the nation's founding documents and most important federal government records, occupies this important spot halfway between the Capitol and the White House. Before the Archives building was constructed, federal . . . — Map (db m57217) HM
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is the youngest agency housed here in the Federal Triangle. Established as an independent agency in 1970, EPA protects human health and the environment through science, transparency, and the rule of law. . . . — Map (db m57211) HM
Across the street the Department of Commerce's Herbert C. Hoover Building anchors the Federal Triangle, just as the department - with its mission of promoting trade, supporting economic development, and strengthening the competitiveness of American . . . — Map (db m57204) HM
While only Congress - the people's elected representatives - can impose taxes and decide how they are spent, the Internal Revenue Service, a bureau of the U.S. Treasury, ensures those taxes are collected fairly and efficiently. The IRS building . . . — Map (db m57212) HM
This massive granite building was completed in 1899 to house the U.S. Post Office Department and the busy city post office. Designed by the U.S. Treasury Department architects under Willoughby J. Edbrooke, it was Washington’s first steel-frame . . . — Map (db m65355) HM
This is the Federal Trade Commission Building, home of the agency that defends the public against unfair methods of competition and unfair or deceptive acts or practices. One of the older independent Federal agencies, the FTC was created in 1914 and . . . — Map (db m59219) HM
Soon after the Federal government moved to Washington in 1800, this area attracted shops and stables to serve the new residents. But where Constitution Avenue runs today, just south of this sign, Tiber Creek flowed - and often flooded. In 1815 . . . — Map (db m57209) HM
This is the John A. Wilson Building, Washington, DC's city hall, home to DC's mayor and city council. When completed in 1908, it was known as the District Building (for District of Columbia). Cope and Stewardson of Philadelphia won the competition . . . — Map (db m57141) HM
The Embassy of Mexico incorporates the two surviving facades of a set of seven row houses known as “The Seven Buildings”. This complex has an intimate relationship with American history, and the government of Mexico is proud to honor . . . — Map (db m89348) HM
Panel 1, east side of pedestal, facing 17th St.: Ysabel I La Catolica Reina de Castilla de Aragon de las Islas y Tierra Firme del Mar Oceano
Panel 2, upper west side of pedestal, facing OAS Hdqts.:
Esta estatua fue . . . — Map (db m65257) HM
A Canal to the West
For years it was a dream – a canal to open a trade route from local commercial centers to the rich Ohio country across the Allegheny Mountains. Business would thrive as mule-drawn barges carried . . . — Map (db m46939) HM
During his all too brief life, Aleksandr Pushkin created a body of literary works of astonishing, life-affirming beauty. Deeply attached to his Russian and African roots, Pushkin’s genius was devoted to the values of honor, freedom and individual . . . — Map (db m46981) HM
On this campus, January 26, 1939, Nobel Laureate Niels Bohr reported the splitting of the uranium nucleus with the release of two hundred million electron volts of energy, thus heralding the beginning of the atomic age. This announcement took place . . . — Map (db m47330) HM
[Inscriptions, east face:]
Respect for the rights of others is peace Benito Juárez 1806-1872 The people of Mexico to the people of the United States of America El respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz Benito Juárez 1806-1872 El pueblo de . . . — Map (db m82923) HM
Bernardo de Gálvez
(Count de Gálvez)
1746 - 1786
"Bernardo de Gálvez the great Spanish soldier carried out a courageous campaign in lands bordering the lower Mississippi. This masterpiece of military strategy lightened the pressure of . . . — Map (db m40957) HM
The Department of State is the nation’s oldest and senior cabinet agency. It was established by Congress in 1789 to conduct America’s diplomatic relations.
The State Department represents U.S. interests to foreign governments, promotes peace, . . . — Map (db m40248) HM
This plaque commemorates the seminal research of the renowned Dr. Edward Teller during his tenure at The George Washington University.
By agreement with GW Professor George Gamow, President Cloyd Heck Marvin invited the Hungarian-born Teller to . . . — Map (db m47326) HM
Gamow (1904-1968) is renowned for developing the “Big Bang Theory” of the universe (1948); explaining nuclear alpha decay by quantum tunneling (1928); describing, with Edward Teller, spin-induced nuclear beta decay (1936); pioneering . . . — Map (db m47320) HM
An authorized cast bronze by the Gorham Foundry from the original by Jean Antoine Houdon (1741-1828) which stands in the State Capitol at Richmond, Virginia. It was purchased by The George Washington University in 1932 on the occasion of the George . . . — Map (db m47315) HM
Legend has it that the Potomac was once home to these wondrous beasts.
George and Martha Washington are even said to have watched them cavort in
the river shallows from the porch of their beloved Mount Vernon on summer evenings.
Credited . . . — Map (db m46980) HM
Lisner Auditorium was built in 1946, boasting the biggest stage south of New York City. On its opening night, October 29, 1946, the famed 29 year-old actress Ingrid Bergman was starring in Joan of Lorraine. When Ms. Bergman found out that . . . — Map (db m71605) HM
[Inscription on south face of pedestal:] Libertador General José de San Martín
[Inscriptions on two panels in the south side of base:]
Homenaje al Libertador General D. José de San Martín del Presidente de la Nacion Argentina . . . — Map (db m65936) HM
Leonard A. Grimes, a Black man born free in Leesburg, Virginia, owned a residence on this corner from 1836 to 1846.
In the 1830s, he owned a successful coach business transporting passengers in and around Washington. He also carried slaves . . . — Map (db m46970) HM
Marker Panel 1: on the lawn, off the sidewalk, north side of Constitution Avenue, NW:
National Academy of Sciences Incorporated 1863
National Academy of Engineering Institute of Medicine National Research Council.
. . . — Map (db m65095) HM
This Pembroke College, Oxford, Coat of Arms
is a gift
to The George Washington University
from the Fellows of the College
Pembroke College, Oxford, was founded in 1624 by James I and two “rich citizens of Abingdon.” The . . . — Map (db m53488) HM
[Inscription on wall at north end of the memorial:]
Dedicated to all Pharmacists who served in the Wars of our Country "1950, 1961, 1991"
[Inscriptions on flagpole base and platform:]
Revolutionary War: 1776-1781
Civil . . . — Map (db m68521) WM
[south face of pedestal]
Born July 24, 1783
Died December 17, 1830
Santa Marta, Colombia
[east face of pedestal]
The Republic of Venezuela to the . . . — Map (db m65731) HM
St. Mary’s was the first Episcopal church in Washington where African Americans could worship free of discrimination. It was established in 1867 by 28 men and women, many of them formerly enslaved. Two White congregations, St. . . . — Map (db m46905) HM
To your left is the hemisphere of the Atlantic, the hemisphere of Europe and Africa, of Roman numerals and Indian script, of the Silk Road and the rising sun.
To your right is the hemisphere of the Pacific and the American West, the hemisphere . . . — Map (db m46880) HM
Pan American Union
the international organization of the
twenty one American Republics
Erected 1908 – 1910
through the munificence of Andrew Carnegie
Secretary of State and
Chairman . . . — Map (db m66426) HM
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, December 14, 1978. Dedicated May 15, 1892, this was the second church built on this site by the Concordia Lutheran Evangelical German congregation, founded January 17, 1833; the lot was sold to . . . — Map (db m47539) HM
This was the site of the Union Engine House, which served as the headquarters of The Association of the Oldest Inhabitants of the District of Columbia from July 7, 1911 until July 4, 1956. The building was later dismantled to make room for the . . . — Map (db m87549) HM
Woodlawn Cemetery, established in 1895, serves the final resting place for Sen. Blanche K. Bruce, Mary P. Burrill, Will Marion Cook, John W. Cromwell, John R. Francis, Rep. John Mercer Langston, Jesse Lawson, Mary Meriwether, and Daniel Murray, . . . — Map (db m42050) HM
In 1829, the Federal Penitentiary was built on this site. Designed by Charles Bulfinch, the Architect of the Capitol, the Penitentiary was influenced by the prison reform movement of the 1820s. In 1831, an eastern extension to the building added a . . . — Map (db m64922) HM
On April 14, 1865 John Wilkes Booth (of Maryland) assassinated President Abraham Lincoln at Fords Theater in downtown Washington. Booth's conspirators were arrested and tried by a Military Court here in Building 20 from May 9 to June 30, 1865. One . . . — Map (db m29740) HM
During the Civil War the Washington Arsenal was both the largest Federal arsenal and the one closest for shipping its war materials to the various fighting fronts in Virginia. Here thousands of caissons and limbers, wagons and ambulances, cannon . . . — Map (db m29739) HM
Earthworks of Fort Totten are visible within the wooded area 50 yards at the top of this hill. Cannon mounted at Fort Totten helped repulse a Confederate attack on Fort Stevens, July 11-12, 1864. — Map (db m2993) HM
One of the Civil War defenses of Washington construction of Fort Totten was begun in August 1861, named after Gen. Joseph G. Totten the fort contained 20 guns and mortars including eight 32-pounders. United States Department of the Interior . . . — Map (db m2999) HM
Built in 1861 and named after Brigadier General Joseph Gilbert Totten, Chief of the Army Corps of Engineers, Fort Totten commanded the northeastern countryside of Washington, DC during the Civil War. Heavily armed with massive cannon that could hurl . . . — Map (db m92906) HM
860 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 660