HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Iowa Markers
Iowa (Adair County), Adair — First Train Robbery in The WestJesse James Robberies
Site of the first train robbery in the west. Committed by the notorious Jesse James and his gang of outlaws July 21, 1873 — Map (db m34280) HM
Iowa (Adair County), Greenfield — Veterans Memorial"Lest We Forget"
[Front] In grateful appreciation this monument is dedicated to the Veterans of Adair County who served their country in times of war and peace. [Back has POW-MIA emblem] — Map (db m72442) WM
Iowa (Adair County), Greenfield — Veterans Memorial
Thank You Veterans For Our Freedom Our debt to the heroic men and valiant women of our country can never be repaid. They have earned our undying gratitude. America will never forget their sacrifices. President Harry S. Truman [Honor Roll of Veterans] — Map (db m72443) WM
Iowa (Adams County), Corning — Icarian Colony
Formed in France by Etienne Cabet, this group comprised of many talented and well-educated persons. All possessions surrendered to a common fund, all worked for common good. Landed in New Orleans in 1848 all applied for citizenship, same year. Settled near Dallas, Texas, where many died of fever, the others returned to New Orleans. Later the same year they moved to Nauvoo, Ill. By 1854 they owned 1,500 acres of land. In 1860, 235 of this group bought 9 sections of land in Adams . . . — Map (db m78080) HM
Iowa (Allamakee County), Harper Ferry — The Mystery of the MoundsEffigy Mounds National Monument — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
In 1766, English and French Canadian traders wintered near this site. They must have puzzled over these strange earthen shapes-or others even nearer their cabin. The traders could not have known that the humble grave markers were vestiges of a prehistoric mound-building culture which spread across most of eastern North America 1,000 years before Christ. Discovery of larger mounds in Ohio in the late 1700’s led some historians to claim the “Mound Builders” were remnants of Old . . . — Map (db m61987) HM
Iowa (Allamakee County), Waukon — Allamakee County Court House Museum
This building was completed in 1861 by the firm of Hale, Jenkins and Pratt at a cost of $13,655. The 40-acre townsite, including the place where the building stands, was donated by the Shattuck Family. The Allamakee County Board of Supervisors turned the building over to the Allamakee County Historical Society in 1964. — Map (db m69527) HM
Iowa (Allamakee County), Waukon — Norwegian House
The Norwegian-American Gjefle log house was built in 1870, and an addition in 1886, in Center Township. It was moved to this site in 1990. — Map (db m69748) HM
Iowa (Cass County), Griswold — Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to All Veterans of All Wars and Conflicts Dedicated May 25, 1992 In honor and memory of all who served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America Remembered, Not Forgotten Dedicated July 2004 — Map (db m72445) HM
Iowa (Cedar County), West Branch — Friends Meetinghouse
The Hoover family worshipped in this building along with neighbors and relatives who were members of the Religious Society of Friends, or Quakers as they are often called. West Branch was predominately a Quaker community in the 1850's when this meetinghouse was built in 1857. Silent meetings for worship were held here on First Day and Fourth Day each week. Religion played a strong role in Herbert Hoover's childhood. His family were active participants in the Society of Friends where his mother, Hulda Hoover, was a recorded minister. — Map (db m48312) HM
Iowa (Cedar County), West Branch — Herbert Hoover
This site commemorates the life and accomplishments of Herbert Hover, 31st President (1929-1932). The first president born west of the Mississippi River. Hoover grew up in a tradition that deeply influenced his ideals and long life of public service. On a walking tour of the site you may visit the historic buildings associated with Hoover's childhood in West Branch, including the Birthplace Cottage, Blacksmith Shop, School House and Friends Meetinghouse. Exhibits at the Presidential Library . . . — Map (db m48307) HM
Iowa (Cedar County), West Branch — Herbert Hoover's Birthplace
"This cottage where I was born is physical proof of the unbounded opportunity of American life." In 1871, Jesse Hoover built this two-room cottage near his blacksmith shop and moved in with his wife, Hulda, and young son, Theodore. Herbert Hoover was born here on August 10, 1874. When "Bert" was two, his sister, Mary was born.

This was the Hoover's first home, and although it was small it served the young family well. During the warm months, the cook-stove was moved to the back porch, . . . — Map (db m48310) HM

Iowa (Cedar County), West Branch — Hoover Home1879 - 1884
The Hoovers bought a home on this site in 1879. During the winter Theodore, herbert and Mary enjoyed sledding with the Peter Smith youngsters who lived in the green house just south of here. Jesse Hoover died in 1880. Hulda passed away three years later. — Map (db m48316) HM
Iowa (Cedar County), West Branch — Schoolhouse
The early settlers of West Branch had a strong regard for education, and in 1853 they built this school. It was used not only as a school but as a place of worship for the members of the Society of Friends. Originally the building housed all of the West Branch students, but by the time Herbert Hoover's older brother Theodore was registered here, enrollment had increased and it was used only as a classroom for the primary students. Increasing membership in the Society of Friends also necessitated the building of a larger meetinghouse in 1857. — Map (db m48311) HM
Iowa (Cedar County), West Branch — The Herbert Hoover Highway
This site is along the original route of the Herbert Hoover Highway, a 42-mile series of local, state and county roads that run between the foot of Old Capitol in Iowa City and the Cedar County community of Lowden. The Hoover Highway was designated in 1923 by the Iowa Highway Commission as a tribute to the famine relief efforts of Herbert Hoover. Between 1914 and 1923, food relief programs administered by Herbert Hoover fed an estimated 318 million victims of war and drought in Europe and . . . — Map (db m76108) HM
Iowa (Cedar County), West Branch — To Herbert Hoover
President of the United States Native son of Iowa Citizen of the world Statesman Humanitarian Engineer Administrator Who has worn the world's greatest honors with humility The State of Iowa grants the Iowa Award — Map (db m48314) HM
Iowa (Cedar County), Wilton — Historic Iowa City / Mormon Handcart Trail - 1856
Marker Front: The land on which Iowa City is located was a wilderness when it was selected and surveyed for the capital of the Territory of Iowa in 1839. The cornerstone of the new capitol building was laid by Governor Lucas on July 4, 1840. The Legislative Assembly met first in a frame building in 1841; the following year it moved into the new stone capitol -- now one of Iowa’s most prized historic shrines

Iowa City served as capital for sixteen exciting years. Here five . . . — Map (db m33608) HM
Iowa (Cedar County), Wilton — Hoover Historic Site / Hoover’s West Branch
Marker Front: The Herbert Hoover National Historic Site, located in nearby West Branch, honors a distinguished son of Iowa, citizen of the world, and the 31st president of the United States. Established in 1965, the Site’s foundations were laid earlier when in 1937 family and friends began restoration of the two-room cottage where Mr. Hoover was born in 1874. The Hoover Presidential Library and Museum, constructed by the Herbert Hoover Birthplace Foundation entirely with private funds, . . . — Map (db m33437) HM
Iowa (Clarke County), Osceola — The Mormon Trail
The Mormons of Nauvoo, Illinois, forced from their homes following the murder of their prophet, Joseph Smith, Jr., began their trek across Iowa in 1846 on the way to the Great Salt Lake Valley. From their first permanent campsite on Sugar Creek they travelled across southern Iowa to Winter Quarters, near present-day Omaha. In addition to Sugar Creek, the Mormons also established permanent camps at Garden Grove in Decatur County, Mount Pisgah in Union County, and Kanesville in Pottawattamie . . . — Map (db m50023) HM
Iowa (Clarke County), Osceola — Utopian Experiments in Southern Iowa
Several Utopian groups attempted to implement in southern Iowa their dreams of a better social structure. In 1839 Abner Kneeland, a pantheist, started Salubria in Van Buren County. Beset with economic problems, the experiment dissolved after Kneeland died in 1844. In 1843, followers of French socialist Charles Fourier founded Phalanx in Mahaska County, but this communal experiment lasted only two years. Followers of another Frenchman, Etienne Cabet, tried several experiments in the United . . . — Map (db m50024) HM
Iowa (Clayton County), Marquette — Old Military Trail
This rock marks the beginning of the Old Military Trail first used in the summer of 1840 by troops from Fort Crawford in Wisconsin when building Fort Atkinson in Iowa. It served as a highway for the movement of troops and supplies from Fort Crawford and Fort Atkinson. [DAR insignia] Erected by the Iowa Society Daughters of the American Revolution 1927 Map (db m44190) HM
Iowa (Clayton County), McGregor — Bat Caves
Cave History Workers for the Hagensieck brewery created these cave openings around 1867 using picks, shovels and blasting powder. They used the caves to store ice and beer until the brewery closed in 1888. Hundreds of bats used the caves until 1986, when the entrances were sealed for public safety. An entrance was reopened for bats in 1998. A Bad Rap Myths and superstitions have given bats a bad reputation. But most bats are harmless and less than 1/2 of 1% carry rabies. . . . — Map (db m46742) HM
Iowa (Clayton County), McGregor — McGregor / Ringling Brothers
McGregor "Royal is my race," was the motto of Clan MacGregor of which McGregor's founder, Alexander MacGregor, was a descendant. It was 1837 when Alexander began a ferry boat operation on "MacGregor's Landing" that became a thriving town of 5500. When steamboats gave way to faster transportation, McGregor underwent the metamorphosis to a more quiet community. Ringling Brothers The Ringling Brothers' Circus' foundation was laid when Augustus Ringling's sons gave penny shows here. . . . — Map (db m44758) HM
Iowa (Clayton County), McGregor — Pikes Peak Overlook Landscape Interpretation
Across this impressive gorge of the Mississippi River is the mouth of the Wisconsin River. The steeply notched valleys of both rivers are carved into sedimentary bedrock which underlies the level, plateau-like uplands and forms the abrupt, picturesque bluffs along the valley margins. The layered rocks originated as loose sediment on sea floors 450 to 550 million years ago, and over time hardened into strata dominated by dolomite and sandstone. Fossil remains of marine life are seen in rocks . . . — Map (db m46138) HM
Iowa (Clayton County), McGregor — Point of Discovery
Across the Mississippi is the mouth of the Wisconsin River. This is the point where on June 17, 1673 Pere Marquette and Louis Joliet, in two small canoes entered the mighty Mississippi. They were the first white men to discover the Upper Missisippi River and set foot on Iowa soil. — Map (db m44797) HM
Iowa (Dallas County), Adel — PantherPanther Revisited
The community of Panther was located where you are currently standing. In the late 1800s, three buildings stood on this site: a blacksmith shop, a tin shop, and a general store. As Panther continued to grow, a creamery and post office also served the area. The blacksmith shop sat on the northeast side of the intersection. Like many Iowa blacksmiths, Amos Royer repaired farm machinery and shoed horses. The tin shop sat on the southwest side of the intersection and was operated by Will Beazor. . . . — Map (db m30809) HM
Iowa (Dallas County), Waukee — 24 — Historic Des Moines / Noted Des Moines Residents
Marker Front: The fork of the Des Moines and Raccoon Rivers was recognized as an ideal site a military post as early 1834. Fort Des Moines was established in 1843, but was abandoned in 1846 following the treaty whereby the Sauk and Mesquakie Indians relinquished their rights to the surrounding lands. The sale of army property provided housing for white settlers who began to moved into the area at that time. Des Moines became a county eat in 146, and in 1857 the state capital was moved . . . — Map (db m33004) HM
Iowa (Davis County), Bloomfield — The Confederate Invasion of Iowa Monument
Site of The Confederate Invasion of Iowa 12th Day of October 1864. This monument marks the northern most point of incursion into Iowa by Confederate Forces. On October 12, 1864, Lieutenant James “Bill” Jackson led twelve heavily armed Missouri Partisan Rangers dressed in Union uniforms in a raid through Davis County, Iowa, resulting in the murder of three local citizens. • This Plaque Dedicated in 2005 • Davis County Civil War Guerrilla Raid Society. . . . — Map (db m36092) HM
Iowa (Decatur County), Lamoni — Veterans Memorial
In honor of all who served Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, Merchant Marines — Map (db m72328) WM
Iowa (Decatur County), Leon — Replica of the Statue of Liberty"Liberty Enlightening the World"
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States The Boy Scouts of America dedicate this replica of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and loyalty 40th Anniversary Crusade to Strengthen the Arm of Liberty ———————— In this Bicentennial Year 1976 as in 1776 let our joint efforts encourage and maintain the freedom and liberty for all . . . — Map (db m72390) HM
Iowa (Decatur County), Leon — The Road to Zion
From the late 1840s through the 1860s, an exodus of more than 70,000 Mormons passed by here on their way to their "New Zion" in Utah. Starting from Nauvoo, Illinois in February 1846, the first group of at least 13,000 Mormons crossed into Iowa to escape religious persecution, then spent the next winter in the area of present-day Council Bluffs, Iowa and Omaha, Nebraska. In 1847, Brigham Young led an advance party of 143 men, 2 women, and 3 children along the Platte River. At Fort . . . — Map (db m72391) HM
Iowa (Delaware County), Earlville — Francis J PierceEarlville, Iowa
Medal of Honor WWII Iwo Jima Campaign 15-16 March 1945 Pharmacist's Mate 1st Class 2d Battalion, 24th Marines, 4th Marine Division U.S. Navy — Map (db m22944) HM
Iowa (Dubuque County), Dubuque — "Fourth Street Elevator"
Built in 1882 by J.K. Graves for his own convenience; and rebuilt after a fire in 1884. It was then opened as public transport. Originally operated by steam, then by electricity in 1893, the elevator was incorporated as the Fenelon Place Elevator Co. with neighbors as stock holders. First board of directors; June 21, 1893; L.C. Bissell, Pres.; W.A. Leathers V Pres.;, J.H. Kleine, Sec'y; Chas. Sass, Treas. Other stockholders: Jacob Rich, Frank H. Weime,Geo. B. Burch, D.J. Scott, J.F. . . . — Map (db m43133) HM
Iowa (Dubuque County), Dubuque — Dubuque Shot Tower
Built in 1856. Used for making lead shot and bullets. In use commercially for three years. Later used as a watchtower by a lumber company to guard against fire. The interior woodwork and the top were destroyed by fire in 1911. Restored in 1961 by citizens of Dubuque. — Map (db m43129) HM
Iowa (Dubuque County), Dubuque — Historic Dubuque
Historic Dubuque -- the Key City of Iowa -- formed a part of what became French Louisiana when Joliet and Marquette paddled by in 1673. Perrot taught the Miami Indians how to mine lead here in 1690. France ceded Louisiana west of the Mississippi to Spain in 1762, placing this area under Spain. Frenchmen mined lead here during the American Revolution. The Fox Indians granted Julien Dubuque the right to work the lead mines in 1788 and this right was confirmed by a Spanish Land Grant in . . . — Map (db m43634) HM
Iowa (Dubuque County), Dubuque — Julien Dubuque
Miner of Mines of Spain Founder of our City Died March 24, 1810 — Map (db m43130) HM
Iowa (Dubuque County), Dubuque — Louis Arriandeaux Log House
Oldest log cabin in Dubuque County. About 1827. Occupied by the pioneer settler William Newman. 1834. Brought to this site and restored through the efforts of Frederick E. Bissell, Sr. Aided by interested citizens and members of the Dubuque Park Board. — Map (db m43131) HM
Iowa (Dubuque County), Dubuque — Methodist Chapel
On this site a Methodist Chapel was constructed in 1834. As the first church in Iowa, it served not only as a place of worship but as a community center in an early spirit of civic concern, ecumenism and racial integration. At various times the 20 x 26 foot building was used as a pioneer schoolhouse. For a time it served as the first courthouse in Dubuque. The meeting that adopted the resolution to incorporate the town of Dubuque was held here on March 25, 1837. The church was . . . — Map (db m22957) HM
Iowa (Dubuque County), Dubuque — Shot Tower
The Shot Tower was constructed in 1856 to manufacture lead shot ammunition. Molten lead was poured from the top of the tower and passed through a series of sieves to form the shot into its proper size. The shot then landed in a tank of cold water at the bottom of the tower. In the 1850s, lead from Dubuque was shipped to St. Louis shotmakers who produced most of the lead shot in the Midwest. George W. Rogers and Company built and operated the Dubuque Shot Tower in an attempt to break the . . . — Map (db m43645) HM
Iowa (Guthrie County), Stuart — First National Bank
First National Bank, 1882-1944, site of Bonnie Parker & Clyde Barrow Bank Robbery Apr. 16, 1934 — Map (db m44837) HM
Iowa (Harrison County), Missouri Valley — Missouri Valley Veterans' Memorial
Left column God Bless America Seals of Armed Forces Center column In Honor of All Those Who Served This Great Nation in War and Peace Time American Flag MIA/POW Seal Right column The Land of the Free Seals of Armed Forces Base Duty Honor Country — Map (db m30575) HM
Iowa (Henry County), Mount Pleasant — 37 — James Harlan1820-1899
Harlan moved to Iowa in 1845, and was elected state superintendent of public instruction two years later. He became President of Iowa Wesleyan University in 1853, and was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1855. After winning a second term, President Abraham Lincoln appointed him Secretary of the Interior. Harlan resigned his cabinet post in 1866 and regained his former senate seat. But was defeated for re-election in 1872. After serving on the Alabama Claims Commission, the body empowered to settle . . . — Map (db m33116) HM
Iowa (Iowa County), Amana — Amana Colonies
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service 1965 — Map (db m48301) HM
Iowa (Iowa County), Amana — Dredging Amana's Millrace
The Amana Millrace begins 6.5 miles west of here at the Iowa River. Workers from the seven Amana villages first began construction in 1865 using hand tools and oxen-drawn scrapers and wagons. The earthen levees were reinforced with wood posts and fascines, bundles of sticks and branches bound tightly together. Progress on the canal was slow until the community purchased a stream (sic) powered dredge to complete the project. Water first flowed through the turbines in Amana in 1869

as difficult . . . — Map (db m48305) HM

Iowa (Iowa County), Amana — Power for Amana's Mills
Six and one-half miles in length, the Amana Millrace was built in 1865 - 1869 to provide waterpower for the community's mills in Middle Amana and Amana. Here at Amana the millrace powered the woolen mill, calico factory, flour mill and sawmill.Water-powered turbines drove a system of gears and line shafts to transfer power to the factory machinery. Steam engines were used to supplement the water power.

In the 1920s some of the line shaft system was replaced with electric generators and . . . — Map (db m48297) HM

Iowa (Iowa County), Amana — Windmill Houseca. 1880
The original use of this building is unknown. It was used to manufacture a feed additive for hogs from 1908-1932, so that it is commonly referred to as the "Hog Powder House." — Map (db m48304) HM
Iowa (Iowa County), Ladora — Historic Amana Colonies
Marker Front: The Amana Colonies consist of about 1,500 people living in seven villages and owning 25,000 acres of Iowa land. Born of religious enthusiasm, this unique brotherhood was founded in Germany in 1714 as the Community of True Inspiration in protest against the arbitrary rule of church and state. Oppressive governments forced them to seek a new home in America.
Led by Christian Metz, the Inspirationists crossed the Atlantic in 1842 and established six small villages on the . . . — Map (db m33372) HM
Iowa (Iowa County), Ladora — Historic Grinnell
Marker Front: Josiah Bushnell Grinnell, a native of Vermont, was the person to whom Horace Greeley gave his famous advice “Go West, young man, go West.” Grinnell took that advice and in 1854 founded the city that now bears his name. A leader in state government, Grinnell in 1857 chaired the legislative committee that planed Iowa’s system of public education from the elementary through university level. A foe of slavery, he gave shelter in 1859 to the fiery abolitionist John . . . — Map (db m33683) HM
Iowa (Jackson County), Maquoketa — The Salvation Army1885 - 1960
This Plaque commemorates the beginning of the Salvation Army in Maquoketa and the State of Iowa, May 1885.

Placed here, May 14, 1960, on the occasion of Maquoketa's 75th anniversary celebration.

"What hath God wrought?" — Map (db m35053) HM
Iowa (Jasper County), Kellogg — Kellogg Garden ClubIowa 150 Celebrate Our State 1846 - 1996
Kellogg Garden Club established in 1945 commemorated Iowa’s 150th Anniversary of statehood with the planting of the common Chokecherry (Prunus Virginiana) a native Iowa tree. — Map (db m44830) HM
Iowa (Jasper County), Newton — Jasper County Veterans Memorial
The Plaque was mounted on 1928 WW I Monument. This monument is dedicated to the Veterans of the United States of America, July 4, 1994.

Honoring Jasper County Men who served in the World War. — Map (db m44831) HM

Iowa (Johnson County), Coralville — Mormon Handcart Brigade Camp
caption below handcart image “Let them come on foot, with handcarts and wheelbarrows. Let then gird up their loins and walk through, and nothing shall hinder them.” South of this boulder on the banks of Clear Creek, is the site of the “Mormon Handcart Brigade Camp.” In 1856 some thirteen hundred European immigrants, converts to the Mormon faith detrained at Iowa City, the end of the rail road. Encamped here they made handcarts and equipment for their journey on foot to Salt Lake City. — Map (db m78222) HM
Iowa (Johnson County), Coralville — 33 — Samuel Jordan Kirkwood1813 – 1894
Kirkwood is the only Iowan to serve as governor, U.S. senator and as a cabinet member. He came to Iowa in 1855 to operate a grist mill in this vicinity. Elected governor in 1859 as a Republican, Kirkwood administered he office with forcefulness and ability during the Civil War. In 1864 he filled a vacancy in the Senate and later served a third term as governor. He was elected senator again in 1877, but resigned to become Secretary of the Interior in 1881. After President Garfield’s . . . — Map (db m33204) HM
Iowa (Johnson County), Tiffin — Historic Amana Colonies
Marker Front: The Amana Colonies consist of about 1,500 people living in seven villages and owning 25,000 acres of Iowa land. Born of religious enthusiasm, this unique brotherhood was founded in Germany in 1714 as the Community of True Inspiration in protest against the arbitrary rule of church and state. Oppressive governments forced them to seek a new home in America.
Led by Christian Metz, the Inspirationists crossed the Atlantic in 1842 and established six small villages on the . . . — Map (db m33373) HM
Iowa (Johnson County), Tiffin — Historic Iowa City / Mormon Handcart Trail - 1856
Marker Front: The land on which Iowa City is located was a wilderness when it was selected and surveyed for the capital of the Territory of Iowa in 1839. The cornerstone of the new capitol building was laid by Governor Lucas on July 4, 1840. The Legislative Assembly met first in a frame building in 1841; the following year it moved into the new stone capitol -- now one of Iowa’s most prized historic shrines

Iowa City served as capital for sixteen exciting years. Here five . . . — Map (db m33607) HM
Iowa (Johnson County), Tiffin — Hoover Historic Site / Hoover’s West Branch
Marker Front: The Herbert Hoover National Historic Site, located in nearby West Branch, honors a distinguished son of Iowa, citizen of the world, and the 31st president of the United States. Established in 1965, the Site’s foundations were laid earlier when in 1937 family and friends began restoration of the two-room cottage where Mr. Hoover was born in 1874. The Hoover Presidential Library and Museum, constructed by the Herbert Hoover Birthplace Foundation entirely with private funds, . . . — Map (db m33431) HM
Iowa (Lee County), Keokuk — First Permanent Jewish House of Worship in IowaB'nai Israel Congregation
Jews have been part of the social, economic and cultural life of Iowa since the early 19th century. It was not until 1855 that the Jewish population in Keokuk grew large enough to establish a religious community, Congregation B’nai Israel ( Children of Israel). The congregation initially rented space for religious worship at the corner of Main and 7th streets. Through the combined efforts of both Jews and Christians alike, funds were raised and a permanent synagogue was constructed at 8th and . . . — Map (db m27084) HM
Iowa (Lee County), Keokuk — National Association for Music Education
MENC: The National Association for Music Education was founded on this corner in the Westminster Presbyterian Church on April 12, 1907, during a meeting of music supervisors from fourteen states. The meeting was organized by Philip Cady Hayden, Music Supervisor for the Keokuk Public Schools. Since its founding, MENC has grown to over 120,000 members, and is the largest arts organization in the United States. This marker was dedicated on June 1, 2007, to all of the MENC founders , elected . . . — Map (db m55413) HM
Iowa (Lee County), Keokuk — The Estes House
used as a hospital for Soldiers of the Civil War Apr. 17, 1862 – Oct. 1, 1865 Occupied this site — Map (db m55414) HM
Iowa (Linn County), Hiawatha — Post 298 Veterans' Memorial
In memory of all veterans. — Map (db m22824) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 101 East Jeffersonc.1914
The Winterset Savings Bank was established in 1902 and moved into this building in 1914. Sam C. Smith's law office was also in this building, and he served as the bank president for a period dating from 1926. This building served as City Hall from the 1940s to 2003. The police station was also located here. There was a barber shop in the basement as well as the "comfort station." This area featured an attended restroom and lounge with chairs for weary shoppers. In 1938 the General . . . — Map (db m72518) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 101 North John Wayne Drivec.1870
In the early 1850's this was the site of Winterset's first hotel. Berger's Hotel was a story-and-a-half log cabin that soon became a stagecoach stop. Later known as the Bare Block, this building has had many businesses: several grocery stores, a cigar factory, sign painting, a barber shop, a tailor shop, a shoe shine shop, boots and shoes, and restaurants. J.O. Bare's was a favorite place for children to buy candy in the early 1900's. Winterset's first gasoline pump was inside two . . . — Map (db m72680) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 102 North 1st Avenue
Before the current building was erected, boots and shoes were sold in a wood frame building on this site. Later, it became a harness shop. This brick building, built by C.D. Bevington, was originally known as the Bevington Block. It initially housed the First National Bank, of which C.D. Bevington was president. Some of the later businesses on the main floor have been Gillespie's Tavern, Flatt's Clothing Store, a water softening business, and an optometrist's office. From 1886 through . . . — Map (db m72773) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 102 West Court Avenuec.1860
This is the sole pre-Civil War commercial building that remains on the square. This building illustrates the art of the stone cutter as practiced in the 1850's and 1860's using native limestone. Originally, this building was a tannery. Hides were soaked in the recessed area of the basement floor. The attic had a six to eight inch layer of dirt for insulation, probably to help keep the pelts cool. This dirt was removed in 1997 when the second floor was remodeled. The building has also . . . — Map (db m72771) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 103 North John Wayne Drivec.1876
This is one of the few one-story buildings around the square. Uses of this building include a grocery store, a confectionary, restaurants, including the Club Cafe, a health food and gift shop. For many years there was a bus stop on this end of the block. 1999 Sesquicentennial Project — Map (db m72676) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 105 North John Wayne Drivec.1875
Businesses in this building have included dry goods, boots and shoes, millinery, appliances, and health foods. At one time the U.S. Department of Agriculture Soil Conservation Service had offices upstairs. A Sears Catalog Store operated here from the 1960's until the early 1990's. Customers could order items from the renowned Sears catalog as well as purchase Sears appliances in the store. 1999 Sesquicentennial Project — Map (db m72674) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 106 East Jeffersonc.1880
Prior to the construction of this brick building Kerr and Boyd operated a grocery store here. They advertised "Staple and Fancy Groceries" as early as 1874. When Mr. Boyd retired, and Kerr's son joined him, the letter "d" in Boyd was painted over and the sign then read "Kerr and Boy." In 1875, Kerr and Son sold to Miller Brothers. The building continued to serve as a grocery store. Everett Clark began working for owners McAndrew and Eldridge in 1896, and became sole owner of the store in . . . — Map (db m72519) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 106 North 1st Avenue
In 1886, groceries and boots and shoes were sold in this building. In the 1890's, the first floor was a dry goods store with a printing shop on the second floor. The Graham's Store expanded into this building in 1918. After Graham's closed, the first floor has been a clothing store and gift stores. — Map (db m72774) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 107 John Wayne Drivec.1875
In the early 1870s the City Bakery operated here in a wooden structure. This brick building was used by farm implement dealers in the late 1800s. In 1907 it was a grocery/meat market, and motion pictures were shown here in 1916. By the 1930s Mr. Harvey had opened a candy shop here. Holiday's Candy Kitchen followed a few years later. This establishment was well-known for its ice cream cones. The ice cream was frozen into rolls, and then cut off into various lengths, depending upon the . . . — Map (db m72671) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 108 North 1st Avenue
From the 1870's through 1890's, groceries were sold on the main floor. In 1874, S.B. Wheelock advertised among other things, oranges, lemons, cigars, parlor brooms, boneless cod fish and candy. That year, Wheelock received a new delivery wagon from Chicago. In 1914, the Graham's Store (headquartered in Oskaloosa, Iowa) opened a department store here. It remained in business until the 1970's. Since that time, it has been home to a realty office and gift shops. — Map (db m72775) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 109 John Wayne Drivec.1914
1n 1886 there was a restaurant in the north side of the original building and a harness shop in the south side. A dry goods store in the north side and a jewelry store in the south side occupied the double store building in 1899. The Evening Star Lodge #43 purchased the original one-story structure in 1911. The second story was added in 1914, and has been occupied by the Masonic Temple since that time. The main level of the building has been leased by a variety of merchants. In 1916 . . . — Map (db m72533) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 110 North First Avenuec.1865
The original use of this building was a bank on the main floor and law offices on the second level. It also housed dry goods and groceries, several bakeries, a women's clothing store, a decorating business, a print shop, a consulting firm, and a home health care agency. Notice the native limestone exterior which was also used in the construction of the court house. 1999 Sesquicentennial Project — Map (db m72776) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 112 North 1st Avenuecirca 1874
T.S. Mardis constructed this building and most of the brick structures facing the square. Dry goods and boots and shoes were sold here in the 1880's. By the 1890's the first floor was a hardware store with a tin shop in the back. For the next 60 years, some of the hardware proprietors were Benge, Cummings, King, Mills, Shoemaker, Stroeber, and Kirkham. The second floor was used as office space. During the mid-1930's the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) had a sewing room on the second . . . — Map (db m72803) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 113 John Wayne Drivec.1870
Uses of this building include a bakery*, a harness shop, a grocery, a pool hall, a Coast to Coast store, and a law office. The double store front was replaced after this building suffered fire damage in 1968. *As with many bakeries of the time, in 1886 the oven was in a separate bake house at the rear of the property. 1999 Sesquicentennial Project — Map (db m72532) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 114 North First Avenuec.1865
Over the years, this building has housed several businesses including "furnishing goods," a tailor shop, a piano store, a jewelry store, a bank, and an abstract office. In 1864, the post office was in a wooden structure on this lot. For many years in the late 1800's, The Winterset Madisonian newspaper office was on the second floor. Access to the second floor was gained from an outside stairway on the south side of the building. The stairway differed from most outside stairways in . . . — Map (db m72804) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 115 John Wayne Drivec.1870
This building's uses have included a boot and shoe shop, a meat market, a second hand furniture store, a dry cleaner, a Coast to Coast store, restaurants, a fitness center, and a quilt supply mail-order business. In 1886 a shoemaker had a shop on the second floor. 1999 Sesquicentennial Project — Map (db m72531) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 116 North 1st Avenuec.1897
Clothing stores were operated from this building for over 100 years. Most of the merchants sold only men's clothing except Oliver's which sold women's clothing. Names of the business owners were Hadley, McMillan, Garrett, Rowe, Wright, and Oliver. In the 1980's-'90's there was a dance studio in the back of the first floor. An interior decorating store opened after the clothing stores closed. The second floor has been an apartment. At one time, the building was owned by the Presbyterian Church. — Map (db m72806) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 117 North John Wayne Drivec.1890
Under various owners, this building was used for furniture & undertaking, which was a popular business combination in the late 1800's and early 1900's. In 1963 this became the Iowa State University Extension Service office. On this site circa 1870, a two-story frame building housed a dry-goods store with a picture gallery on the second floor. 1999 Sesquicentennial Project — Map (db m72530) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 118 North 1st Avenuec.1895
Before the present brick building was built, Atkison & Hutchings Real Estate Agents, the Amazon Refreshment Stand, a market, and a U.S. Express office were tenants in a small wood frame building that stood on this lot. The current building housed a book and jewelry store, as well as beauty shops and ladies ready-to-wear stores prior to the 1962 expansion of Montross Pharmacy. At that time, the soda fountain was moved into this building, and a few years later, a dining room was added in the . . . — Map (db m72807) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 119 North John Wayne Drive1883
Businesses in this building have included: a barber shop, a confectionary, a general store, a meat market, a hardware store, an appliance store, a carpet store, and a bakery. Rows of nails were hammered into the wood floor and used to measure rope and wire when the hardware store was at this location. These marks can still be seen. 1999 Sesquicentennial Project — Map (db m72529) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 120-122 North 1st Avenuec.1875
South building - A pharmacy has been in this brick building since it was built. Lloyd Montross purchased the pharmacy and the building in 1921. His son, George, bought into the business in 1940 and was responsible for the additions to the building. Charles Tucker, Jr. had a real estate office on the second floor in 1923. The second floor now houses apartments. North building - A meat market operated from a wood building on this lot in 1854. At that time, there was a corral . . . — Map (db m72808) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 121 John Wayne Drivec.1900
This building was originally one story. It served as a meat market and then the Ideal Restaurant for a few years. Upon completion of the second story, the building became a theater and live vaudeville performances were held on stage. In 1916, Bruce Pettit took over half interest of the Iowa Theatre, owned by R. C. Goshorn. Mr. Pettit later became the sole owner. Records show Eb Hayes as a proprietor as well. The second story facade of the building remains nearly original. The marquee . . . — Map (db m72528) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 124 North 1st Avenuec.1880
In 1869, a wood frame building stood on this lot, serving as a book store and the post office. The current brick building has housed a general store, a men's clothing store, and a chiropractic office in the front section of the main floor. From 1909 until 1999, the Kraft-King Company, later King's Clothing, occupied the premises. An interesting note: In the late 1920's, a line of women's silk hosiery was added to the clothing available for purchase in this men's clothing store. . . . — Map (db m72811) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 51 Jefferson Streetcirca 1880
In the Civil War days, the county jail stood here. It was a two story log cabin and was entered on the second floor, by an exterior stairway. Two banks occupied the first floor of the current building; Citizens National Bank, and later First National Bank. It has also served as the Farm Bureau, law offices, a women's clothing store, beauty shop, and a bookstore. A barber shop operated out of the basement for many years. An abstract office, law offices and apartments have been on the . . . — Map (db m72467) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 52 Court Avenue1868
This building is made of native limestone. Some of the businesses that have been in the building include a hardware and a tin shop, a bank, a travel agency, and an advertising circular. During World War II, the Selective Service office was in the basement of this building. Several businesses were on the second floor, including a dry-goods store and dental offices. The addition on the south end of this building has held a blacksmith's shop, a tin shop, and a beauty parlor. 1999 Sesquicentennial Project — Map (db m72770) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 53 Jefferson Streetcirca 1880
Grocery stores operated here in the late 1800's. By 1907, a bakery with an oven in the basement had been added, as well as a jewelry store. It later became a hardware store with a tin shop in the rear. A pool hall, a farm and auto parts store, and a laundromat have occupied the premises. From 1953 to present (2006) it has served as a law office. — Map (db m72470) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 54 Court Avenuec.1890
Entrepreneur Edward Jones ran a general store on this property for several years in the mid-1800s. By 1871, he took on a partner, M. R. Tidrick, and then moved on to other ventures. The Tidrick-Terrill Company owned and operated several businesses, including a furniture store, general store/grocery and undertaking business. When the Breeding family moved in upstairs around 1920 they shared their living quarters with the store owner's funeral supplies. Breeding Hardware moved to this . . . — Map (db m72758) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 55 Jefferson Streetc. 1870
This lot, including the land west to the corner, was purchased for $22 dollars in 1849. From the mid-1880's until the early 1900's, O.D. Ames, then Joeckel Bros. Clothing stores were located in this building. Later, the John Catterlin Harness & Saddle Shop, then the E.E. Douglas Harness Shop occupied the premises. Nelson's Apparel, a women's clothing store, then a beauty parlor preceded Ritter Insurance which opened in this building in 1949. For many years, the rear half of the building . . . — Map (db m72471) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 56 Court Avenuec.1890
This building and the structure to the west were owned and operated by the Tidrick-Terrill Company in the late 1800s. Their furniture store occupied this building for many years. An elevator in the back of the building was shared by the company's undertaking business next door. In 1920, Breeding Hardware started here, but by 1927 it moved to the building to the west. Arthur Goshorn then purchased the building and moved his business, The Winterset News, to this location. He stated . . . — Map (db m72757) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 57 Jefferson Street
In its early days, this building housed businesses selling jewelry, stationery and then drugs. A Gambels Store conducted business here from the 1930's until 1971 when Alexander Fabrics acquired the building and operated until 1996. It has also housed an antique shop, a bridal store and a dance studio. — Map (db m72472) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 58 Court Avenue1889
In 1857 a single story wood frame structure was built on this property. The building was divided into two 12' wide stores, each with its own front door. For 30 years a jewelry business, which also sold organs, clocks, silverware and spectacles, operated here. In 1889 C.D. Bevington built a brick and mortar one-story structure on this lot. The Koser brothers had a clothing store in the building for 54 years. A second story was added in 1901. Later, it housed the Graves clothing store and . . . — Map (db m72756) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 59 Jefferson Streetcirca 1875
Drugs and Jewelry were sold from the wood frame building that originally stood here. The current building housed a succession of shoe stores for more than 100 years. Proprietors were Aikens, Allen, Stevens, and Hendricks. In the early 1900's, Dr. Jessie V. Smith, physician and surgeon, had her offices on the second floor. She was the physician present at the birth of Marion Morrison, later known as Hollywood actor, John Wayne. — Map (db m72473) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 60 Court Avenuec.1880
Although this building appears to be one storefront, there are actually two separate buildings, and their histories intertwine. C. W. Eastman's Big Store first occupied this double storefront where dry goods were sold. The Knights of Pythias and the Pythian Sisters began meeting on the second floor in the late 1800s. Oscar Lucas ran the Lucas Grocery in the west side of the building in 1918. His brother-in-law, Gus Nehring, worked for him and bought the business in 1924 renaming it . . . — Map (db m72755) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 61 Jefferson Streetcirca 1875
Eli Cox, builder of several local covered bridges, had the contract to build this structure. During the construction, gas pipes were incorporated in anticipation of soon having a source for lighting. The Opera House was originally on the second floor of this building and the buildings immediately east and west of this one. There were platforms and seating for 450-500 people. The City Hall was upstairs behind the Opera House. From 1876 until the present (2006), the main floor of this . . . — Map (db m72475) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 63 Jefferson Streetc.1875
Local covered bridge builder Eli Cox was the contractor for this building. Businesses have included dry goods, a harness shop, a bootery, a millinery, and an electric shop. The North Side Barber Shop has served Winterset's men since the 1930's. Countless young Winterset lads received their first haircut here. The back of this building opens into the North Side Cafe to the west. Apartments are on the second floor. — Map (db m72509) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 64 Court Avenuec.1870
This building housed a general store in 1886, a clothing shop in 1893, and boots and shoes were sold here in 1907. By 1916 it was a grocery store. The Western Auto Store was located here from the 1920s until the early 1960s when, in need of more space, the business moved to the east side of the square. Wilma Ehm purchased the building in the early 1960s and rented it as a Montgomery Ward catalog store. She later sold the building to Medicap Pharmacy. By 1999 the pharmacy relocated to its . . . — Map (db m72741) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 65 Jefferson Streetc.1875
In the 1800's, agricultural implements were sold here. The Marsh Harvester advertised that "it saves the house-wife the unpleasant drudgery of providing for extra help, during the hottest season of the year" implying that extra farm hands would not be needed if the farmer owned this machine. Drug stores, including Ruth's Drug Store, occupied the first floor for many years in the early 1900's. Also at that time, in the second floor dance studio, lessons were given, and dances were held. . . . — Map (db m72510) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 66 Court Avenuec.1870
John Wayne's father, Clyde Morrison, worked for Smith Drug Store in this building around 1905-1910. Earlier records indicate the building housed a harness shop, a hardware store and a tin shop as well. In 1916, a jewelry store occupied this structure. Movies were shown here in the mid-1920s. By 1947, R. M. Harrison Co. operated a variety store in this building. In the early 1950s the Harrison store traded locations with the Woody-Thompson shoe store two buildings to the west. In 1959, . . . — Map (db m72740) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 67 Jefferson Streetc.1880
In 1874, in a wood frame building on this lot, Ho Cheung, a Chinese immigrant, ran A.R. Shong & Co., importers and dealers of tea and coffee. They also manufactured cigars and sold tobacco. The City Bakery was here in 1875. From 1885 through the early 1900's, agricultural implements, seeds and harnesses were sold out of the present two story building. Scores of young men were warned by their parents not to spend time inside the North Side Pool Hall from the 1940's until the 1970's. Many . . . — Map (db m72511) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 68 Court Avenuec.1870
This building was a hardware store in 1886. In the early 1900s H. N. Shaw moved his dry goods store from the west side of the square to this site. From 1931 to 1997 the J. C. Penney department store was in business here. An advertisement that ran in the Madisonian in the 1950s touted its long-running success this way, "At Penney's we offer no expensive frills such as charge accounts, delivery service, or fancy wrapping." In 1997, Adel & Winterset Appliance occupied this building, . . . — Map (db m72738) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 69 Jefferson
Businesses in this west section of the building have included a hardware store with a tin shop in the back, a second hand store, several pharmacies, and an optical shop. The upstairs has houses law offices. 1999 Sesquicentennial Project — Map (db m72515) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 70, 72, 74 Court Avenuec.1870
This building is constructed of locally made soft bricks and originally housed three separate businesses. The east section was home to a variety of grocery stores, a jewelry store, a Skelgas appliance store, and a plumbing and heating business. In the 1910's and 1920's, a watch repairman had a workbench set up in the front window and passersby could stop and watch him work. A realty office and an apartment were located on the second floor. The center section of the building has contained . . . — Map (db m72730) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 71 Jefferson
This middle section of the building has been occupied by a bakery, drug stores, a pool hall, a dry cleaner, an engineering firm, and restaurants, including the Black and White Restaurant and the China Cafe. In earlier years, the second floor was used as an apartment. It has a skylight in the roof which helped provide natural light to the middle of the building in the years before there was electricity. [M]any of the buildings around the square originally had skylights, [E]lectric lights . . . — Map (db m72516) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 73 Jeffersonc.1870
In 1864 this was the site of Irish immigrant Andrew Crawford's wood-frame grocery store. This building was erected with one main facade for three stores. Notice the matching second-story windows. Some of the businesses housed in the east end of this building have been several groceries, (including a Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, the familiar A & P), a furniture store, a paint store, a tire store, an attorney's office, clothing stores, and the chamber of commerce. The second . . . — Map (db m72517) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Carnegie Building
Built in 1903 and used as the Public Library from 1905 to 2001 Renovated in 2002 and reopened as City Hall in 2003 In Memoriam Dr. Charles D. Bevington Born January 13, 1826 Died November 13, 1903 Resident of Winterset since 1853 The site for this building was donated by S. G. Bevington and L. M. Alexander His surviving children — Map (db m72688) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Cedar Covered Bridge
Original Built: 1883 By: H.P. Jones Replica Built: 2004 By: Herberger Construction Company Type: Covered Timber Town Lattice Truss Overlaid by a Queenpost Frame Size: 130 feet (66 ft truss with an 42.5 ft approach to the south and a 21.5 ft approach to the north) x 13.7 feet wide Cedar Bridge (formally known as the Casper Bridge) was one of the last covered bridges built in the county, reportedly undertaken by Jones after he completed the Roseman Bridge so that he could . . . — Map (db m78220) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Cutler - Donahoe Covered Bridge - 1870
Designed and built by Eli Cox. Length: 79 feet Weight: 40 ton. Covered timber superstructure, towne lattice truss with overlay queenpost frame, fastened with round wooden pins and iron bolts. Originally located 18 miles N.E. of Winterset, near Bevington, over North River. Moved to Winterset City Park in 1970. Clair Rogers, Macksburg, Ia, house mover, commissioned to move bridge before first covered bridge festival. Clair gave his time to rebuild west . . . — Map (db m23170) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Hogback Covered Bridge
Built: 1884 By: Benton Jones Type: Covered Timber Town Lattice Truss overlaid by a Queenpost Frame Size: 160 feet (98 ft truss with two 62 ft approaches) x 15 feet wide Jones was responsible for the last all-timber truss built in the county, known locally as the Hogback Covered Bridge. The Hogback Covered Bridge is in its original location. Hogback gets its name from the limestone ridge which forms the west end of the valley. It was renovated in 1992 at a cost of $118,810. . . . — Map (db m72410) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Middle River Water TrailHolliwell Covered Bridge (eventually to Bevington)
[Historical excerpts from marker] The Middle River has its origin in south-central Guthrie County. However, the navigable section of Middle River begins in east-central Adair County near Middle River Forest County Park. Middle River is a scenic stream that flows easterly through a mixture of lazy country side of croplands and pasture, rolling forested hills and limestone bluffs. It twists and turns through these landforms creating a moderately challenging paddle, especially at high or . . . — Map (db m72408) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Middle River Water TrailRoseman Covered Bridge to Pammel Park
[Historical excerpts from marker] The Middle River has its origin in south-central Guthrie County. However, the navigable section of Middle River begins in east-central Adair County near Middle River Forest County Park. Middle River is a scenic stream that flows easterly through a mixture of lazy country side of croplands and pasture, rolling forested hills and limestone bluffs. It twists and turns through these landforms creating a moderately challenging paddle, especially at high or . . . — Map (db m72439) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — North River SchoolhouseBuilt 1874
Restored by Madison County Historical Society, Inc. 1962 - 1973 Placed on National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Dept. of Interior April 22, 1977 — Map (db m72411) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Roseman Covered Bridge
Built: 1883 By: Benton Jones & G.K. Foster Type: Covered Timber Town Lattice Truss overlaid by a Queenpost Frame Size: 225 feet (104 ft truss with an 88 ft approach to the south and a 33 ft approach to the north) x 15.4 feet wide The two last covered bridges built in Madison County were the Roseman and Cedar Bridges over the Middle and North Rivers, respectively. Both approved by the Board of Supervisors in 1877, they were built in succession in 1883 by Jones and Foster. The . . . — Map (db m72438) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — The Delicious Apple
To commemorate the discovery in Madison County, Iowa of a variety of apple by Jesse Hiatt A.D. 1872 and called by him The Hawkeye Sole right to propagate acquired by C.M. Stark A.D. 1894 and by him renamed introduced and disseminated throughout the apple world as The Delicious Apple — Map (db m78219) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Winterset Civil War Memorial
The grateful public dedicate this marble column to the Patriotic Dead who fell during the Great Rebellion this monument is gratefully erected to the soldiers of Madison County who gave their lives for their Country — Map (db m23107) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Winterset Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of the following men who gave the supreme sacrifice in the defence of their country World War II Dale E. Bell • Harold Bloomquist • Edward Briggie • Edward Butcher • Ross Chickering • George Clark • Scott Cole • Frederick Cooper • Floyd Craven • Russell Davis • Wilbert Dodd • William Edwards • Norman Felton • Harold Flaugh • John W. Garner • Edwin Henry • Eugene Holmes • Lloyd Hudson • Ben Kiddoo Jr. • Kenneth Kinney • Glen Leech • John Limnane Jr. • . . . — Map (db m23148) WM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Winterset World War I Memorial
[Main Memorial:] Erected by the people of Madison County, Iowa, as a grateful tribute to the memory of its soldiers and sailors. [Red Granite Cemetery Assocation marker]: This plot of ground was donated by the Cemetery Association to the War Memorial Association as a place to perpetuate the memory of Madison County soldiers who sacrificed their lives in the war against Germany and her Allies. — Map (db m23157) HM
Iowa (Mitchell County), Carpenter — Deer Creek Lutheran Church Bell
This bell has called people to God’s house to worship since 1869. It was first purchased and used by First Lutheran Church of St. Ansgar. In 1893 they gave it to Deer Creek Lutheran Church where it continued its call of worship across the countryside until 1970. In Memory Of Herman Brown Map (db m16939) HM
Iowa (Mitchell County), Carpenter — Fort Severson
Built in 1867 by Nils Severson on his land with help of neighbor's using limestone and mortar of lime & sand from Deer Creek. Severson's design was a typical fort with small openings for rifles and larger openings for gatling guns. The Spirit Lake Massacre and uprising at New Ulm Minnesota prompted the building of forts across North Iowa. This is the only one left standing. Although Indians never came there were some scares. Settlers would come from as far as ten miles to stay here. The . . . — Map (db m9547) HM
Iowa (Mitchell County), Osage — Dragoon Trail Crossing
Here passed the Dragoon Trail blazed in 1835 by the first U.S. Dragoons under Colonel Stephen W. Kearney. — Map (db m30368) HM
Iowa (Polk County), Des Moines — A Reflection of Hope
A Monument Established By The Citizens Of Iowa To Honor Iowans Who Served During the Vietnam War These Absent Friends Will Never Be Forgotten — Map (db m41878) HM
Iowa (Polk County), Des Moines — Birthplace of Des Moines
Polk County, Iowa Fort Des Moines No. 2 Established May 1843 — Evacuated March 1846 This cabin is a memorial to the military outpost, Fort Des Moines No. 2, occupied by Company I, First Regiment U. S. Dragoons and Company F First U. S. Infantry. The Fort was the second of three military installations named Fort Des Moines.

In 1846, the City was established near this site at the confluence of the Des Moines and Raccoon Rivers.

In time, all the original Fort buildings . . . — Map (db m41876) HM

Iowa (Polk County), Des Moines — Combat Wounded Veterans
Military Order of the Purple Heart 1782 1932 Dedicated to all men and women wounded in all our wars My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my Country's way to show they care. If I could be seen by all mankind Maybe peace will come in my lifetime. — Map (db m42145) HM
Iowa (Polk County), Des Moines — Dedicated to You, A Free Citizen in a Free Land
This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of Iowa by direction of The Honorable John W. Snyder Secretary of the Treasury As the inspirational symbol of the United States Savings Bonds Independence Drive from May 16 to July 4,1950, it was displayed in every part of this state The dimensions and tone are identical with those of the original Liberty bell when it rang out our independence in 1776. In standing before this symbol, you have the opportunity to . . . — Map (db m48285) HM
Iowa (Polk County), Des Moines — Iowa Revolutionary War Monument
Front Dedicated to soldiers and patriots of the American Revolution who are buried in Iowa

December 28, 1846 Iowa Our liberties we prize our rights we will maintain

Reverse George Perkins, N. and S. Carolina, Lee County William Potter, Virginia, Jackson County Sampson Price, Virginia, Louisa County Thomas Rhodes, Virginia, Van Buren County Achilles Rogers, Virginia, Keokuk County Richard Scarrem, Vermont, Makaska County Charles Shepherd, Pennsylvania, Henry County William . . . — Map (db m48277) HM

Iowa (Polk County), Des Moines — Iowa Veterans Memorial
To honor those who have served that we may live in freedom. — Map (db m48273) HM
Iowa (Polk County), Des Moines — Korean War1950 - 1953
Side 1 Early on the quiet Sunday morning of June 25, 1950 - June 24th in Washington - the North Korean Peoples Army attacked South Korea. They crossed the 38th parallel with 135,000 soldiers and 22 Russian built tanks. This action touched off one of the most tragic events of our time - What has been referred to as "Korea - the Forgotten War"

Side 2 The Valor of the Ground Forces The Korean war was one of the bloodiest in history. In 37 months of fighting both sides used . . . — Map (db m48281) HM

Iowa (Polk County), Des Moines — Replica of the Statue of Liberty
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States The Boy Scouts of America dedicate this replica of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and loyalty 40th Anniversary Crusade to Strengthen the Arm of Liberty — Map (db m72403) HM
Iowa (Polk County), Des Moines — S-36 Submarine Memorial
Front 1 of 52 U.S. Submarines lost during WWII Lost on her 2nd patrol, January 20, 1942 in Makassar Strait, Indonesia.

Left Image U.S. Submarine Veterans World War II In memory of all submarines and crews on eternal patrol

Right Image United States Submarine Veterans Honoring all U.S. Navy Submarine sailors.

Reverse During WWII the U.S. Submarine Force suffered the highest loss rate of the U.S. Armed Forces. Of the 16,000 officers and enlisted men that served . . . — Map (db m48269) HM

Iowa (Polk County), Des Moines — The First Licensed Ferry
This Boulder Commemorates The first licensed ferry at the junction of the Des Moines and Raccoon Rivers 1847 The first Pontoon Bridge at Sycamore Street (Now Grand Avenue) 1856 The First Toll Bridge at Court Avenue 1856 — Map (db m41875) HM
Iowa (Polk County), Des Moines — War Of The Rebellion Monument
(Front side): Iowa's tribute to the courage, patriotism, and distinguished service of all her soldiers and sailors who fought in the war of the rebellion 1861- 1865 (Back side): Designed By Harriet A. Ketcham MT. Pleasant, Iowa. Located and erected by act of The 24th General Assembly. Approved April 7th. 1892. — Map (db m42147) HM
Iowa (Polk County), Des Moines — William Boyd Allison
United States Senator MDCCCXXIX • MCMVIII for forty-three years A member of Congress from Iowa Oldest in service Wisest in council A friend of all — Map (db m48275) HM
Iowa (Polk County), Mitchellville — 23 — Historic Des Moines / Noted Des Moines Residents
Marker Front: The fork of the Des Moines and Raccoon Rivers was recognized as an ideal site a military post as early 1834. Fort Des Moines was established in 1843, but was abandoned in 1846 following the treaty whereby the Sauk and Mesquakie Indians relinquished their rights to the surrounding lands. The sale of army property provided housing for white settlers who began to moved into the area at that time. Des Moines became a county eat in 146, and in 1857 the state capital was moved . . . — Map (db m33009) HM
Iowa (Polk County), Mitchellville — Universalist Church1868
This church was built by Thomas Mitchell. Thomas Mitchell was born in New Hampshire in 1816. he came to Iowa Territory in 1840, and in 1844 became the first white settler of Polk County. He built cabins and later inns to feed and shelter the hundreds of people going west. He defended the American Indians and during the Civil War hid run-away slaves. In 1856 Mr. Mitchell founded Mitchellville. He donated land for the wide streets, the city park, and the cemetery. Later he gave land and money for . . . — Map (db m44833) HM
Iowa (Pottawattamie County), Council Bluffs — Civil War Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of the defenders of our flag. “Greater love hath no man.” (Reverse side) Erected 1926 by Abe Lincoln’s Woman’s Relief Corps, No. 180, Council Bluffs, Iowa, 1861-1865. — Map (db m45066) HM
Iowa (Pottawattamie County), Council Bluffs — Council Bluffs Veterans Plaza
The Glory of their Spirit. When destiny demanded and country called, They in answer left our rolling hills and great river valley, and learned the arts of war. Then, on and beneath restless waves of the deep, in endless skies and across vast oceans to island shores, on broad plains and barren hillsides, in dark forests, on snow-covered mountains and in the rubble of smashed villages and cities they faced and fought, with valor and dedication, those who challenged our ideals and freedom and, in . . . — Map (db m44840) HM
Iowa (Pottawattamie County), Council Bluffs — Mormon Battalion Mustering Grounds
One of the most remarkable infantry marches in American history began here in July 1846 with the mustering of the Mormon Battalion. Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon) responded to the request from President James K. Polk to serve the United States in the war with Mexico. The 500 volunteers were among thousands of Mormons who had left Nauvoo, Illinois that year and were moving west in search of a new home. The Battalion demonstrated the patriotism of the Mormons . . . — Map (db m22662) HM
Iowa (Pottawattamie County), Council Bluffs — Mormon Trail
This Boulder commemorates the early travel upon the Mormon Trail through Kanseville, now Council Bluffs and is dedicated to the memory of the throngs who crossed Iowa in advance of settlements. Here thousands of pioneers encamped awaiting pasturage on the plains and turns at the ferries to press onward into the beckoning golden west.

We crossed the prairies as of old the pilgrims crossed the sea. To make the west, as they the east. The homestead of the free.

In recognition of its work in . . . — Map (db m45065) HM

Iowa (Pottawattamie County), Council Bluffs — Seeking Buyers and Sellers
French, Spanish, and British traders already controlled trade empires west of the Mississippi river when Lewis and Clark began the Expedition in 1804. but President Thomas Jefferson wanted the United States to control trade in the newly acquired Louisiana Purchase.

First, many questions had to be answered: Is it true there is a direct water route to the Pacific Ocean? Are there minerals to mine? Where are good locations for towns, farmers, and military forts? Conducting this research was an . . . — Map (db m45162) HM

Iowa (Pottawattamie County), Council Bluffs — Spanish War Veterans
1899-1902, Philippine Islands, Cuba, Porto Rico, USA, Presented by Auxiliary No. 6, Dec. 1932, United Spanish War Veterans Camp No. 18. — Map (db m45064) HM
Iowa (Pottawattamie County), Council Bluffs — Squirrel Cage Jail
The Historic Pottawattamie County Squirrel Cage Jail. Built in 1885 and in continuous use as a jail until 1969. Acquired by the Park Board in 1971 for preservation. Named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972 by the United States Government. Purchased by the Historical Society of Pottawattamie County, January 15, 1979. — Map (db m44839) HM
Iowa (Pottawattamie County), Council Bluffs — The Historic General Dodge House
Built by General Grenville M. Dodge in 1869 and designated a National Historic Landmark by the United States Department of Interior of the National Park Service in 1963. Acquired as a museum through public donations and restored by the Council Bluffs Park Department and the Dodge House Board of Trustees. Council Bluffs Park Commission. J. Frederic Schlott, Charles R. Hannan, Everett L. Shockey. — Map (db m44838) HM
Iowa (Pottawattamie County), Council Bluffs — We Were All Busily Engaged
After traveling 68 days and 600 miles, it was time for the Corps of discovery to stop for a rest. On July 22, 1804, William Clark wrote, they camped on the east side of the Missouri River, about 10 miles above the mouth of the Platte River, on land “covered with timbers of oak, walnut and elm.”

Patrick Gass, expedition carpenter, described in his journal how the crew spent their five days near here. “Our people were all busily engaged in hunting, making oars, dressing . . . — Map (db m45164) HM

Iowa (Pottawattamie County), Council Bluffs — Western Historic Trails Center; Starting the Journey
The Western Historic Trails Center welcomes you to the story of America’s trails west. The trip across the county from the Mississippi to the Pacific required stamina and ingenuity to overcome the challenges of the landscape. Walk along the levee and the Missouri River and view the place where thousands began their journeys. Inside the Center, share the story of their experiences in time and place; then plan a journey of your own. — Map (db m45161) HM
Iowa (Pottawattamie County), Crescent — Anticipating An Indian Council
One of President Jefferson’s goals for this expedition was to seek out the native peoples and council with them. On July 28, 2804, the expedition passed this overlook area early in the morning and noted of this area “a bluff on the S.S. (Starboard Side), the first high land above the Nodaway (river) on that side.” They observed a site below these bluffs where the “Aiawuay (Iowa) Indians formerly lived” and had just passed another old Indian camp downstream on the other . . . — Map (db m45111) HM
Iowa (Pottawattamie County), Crescent — Like a Bald Man’s Head
During late July and early August of 1804, the Lewis and Clark Expedition traveled the length of the Missouri River that today is the boarder between Iowa and Nebraska. Meriwether Lewis and William Clark studied the river, forests, and prairies. They often hiked along the riverbanks and explored inland while other crew members kept the keelboat and pirogues moving upriver. Clark described the river bluffs and tall grass prairie in his journal. He compared the bluffs to the head of a bald man, . . . — Map (db m45117) HM
Iowa (Pottawattamie County), Crescent — The Lewis and Clark Expedition
In 1804-06, Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark led about 40 soldiers and boatmen on an epic journey. President Thomas Jefferson commissioned this “Corps of discovery” to find a route to the Pacific Ocean through the newly acquired Louisiana territory. Along the way, they mapped the land, recorded its resources, and contacted its native inhabitants. The landscape has changed since Lewis and Clark explored it: rivers have been dammed, forests cut over, prairies plowed under, . . . — Map (db m45116) HM
Iowa (Pottawattamie County), Underwood — Historic Council Bluffs / Noted Council Bluffs Residents
Marker Front: The Council Bluffs area was the scene of such important events in Iowa history as the explorations of Lewis and Clark, the Mormon Trail, the Missouri River steamboat traffic and the railroad industry. Francois Guittar established the first white settlement here at Trader’s Point in 1824. When the Mormons arrived in 1846 they called the community Kanesville. By special charter in 1853 the State Legislature changed the name to Council Bluffs. The name derives from a council . . . — Map (db m33290) HM
Iowa (Pottawattamie County), Underwood — Historic Council Bluffs / Noted Council Bluffs Residents
Marker Front: The Council Bluffs area was the scene of such important events in Iowa history as the explorations of Lewis and Clark, the Mormon Trail, the Missouri River steamboat traffic and the railroad industry. Francois Guittar established the first white settlement here at Trader’s Point in 1824. When the Mormons arrived in 1846 they called the community Kanesville. By special charter in 1853 the State Legislature changed the name to Council Bluffs. The name derives from a council . . . — Map (db m33291) HM
Iowa (Poweshiek County), Montezuma — The Bill of RightsThe First 10 Amendments to the Constitution as Ratified by the States — December 15, 1791
Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. Amendment II. A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. Amendment III. No . . . — Map (db m8938) HM
Iowa (Scott County), Bettendorf — Historic Davenport / Interstate 80 Bridge
Marker Front: In 1829, William C. Redfield declared that Davenport lay opposite the future terminus of a “geographical trunk-line route” between the Atlantic and the Mississippi. Nine years later, in 1838, the Iowa Sun and Davenport and Rock Island News declared Davenport was destined to be the “Queen City of the Far West.” A score of early travelers shared this enthusiasm for rich soil, healthy climate and strategic location of Davenport on the west bank . . . — Map (db m33660) HM
Iowa (Scott County), Bettendorf — Historic Davenport / Interstate 80 Bridge
Marker Front: In 1829, William C. Redfield declared that Davenport lay opposite the future terminus of a “geographical trunk-line route” between the Atlantic and the Mississippi. Nine years later, in 1838, the Iowa Sun and Davenport and Rock Island News declared Davenport was destined to be the “Queen City of the Far West.” A score of early travelers shared this enthusiasm for rich soil, healthy climate and strategic location of Davenport on the west bank . . . — Map (db m33661) HM
Iowa (Scott County), Davenport — 39 — Marion G. Crandell1872-1918
Marion Crandell was the first American woman to die in the war zone during World War I. She was born in Cedar Rapids, but spent several years in France, where she attended the Sorbonne University. In 1916 she came to Davenport as a teacher at St. Katherine’s School when the war broke out, she offered her services to the YMCA division which aided French soldiers, and arrived in Paris in February 1918. She was killed on March 27 when a German artillery shell struck the building where was lodging. She was buried in a French military cemetery. — Map (db m33120) HM
Iowa (Union County), Talmage — Mt. Pisgah – Mormon Pioneer Way Station/Chief Pied Riche Tells the Spirit of Mt. Pisgah
(front of main marker) Mt. Pisgah - Mormon Pioneer Way Station Between 300 and 400 Mormon pioneers perished here from 1846 to 1852. Having been driven from their homes by armed mobs, they stopped here on their westward trek, named it Mt. Pisgah after a Biblical mountain range, and established a way-station. Thousands of acres were cleared, buildings built, and caves dug for shelter until log cabins were constructed, but lack of food and adequate shelter took their toll. In spite . . . — Map (db m20995) HM
Iowa (Union County), Thayer — Mt. Pisgah1846
Site of the first white settlement in Union County — Map (db m78082) HM
Iowa (Van Buren County), Bentonsport — Iowa’s Confederate General
General Lawrence Sullivan ‘Sul’ Ross, CSA, was born in Bentonsport, Iowa, Van Buren County on September 27, 1838. His family moved to Texas in 1839, where he grew to manhood. In 1859, Sul Ross was commissioned a Captain in the Texas Rangers, fought Comanches, rescued Cynthia Ann Parker (Mother of Quanah Parker), and in 1861, enlisted as a Private in the 6th Texas Cavalry CSA. He rose rapidly through the ranks to become Brigadier General of the 6th Texas Cavalry and later Brigade . . . — Map (db m2565) HM
Iowa (Van Buren County), Bonaparte — Mormon Trail Crossing at Des Moines River
Brigham Young and band of Mormons crossed the Des Moines River here March 5, 1846 on their trek to Utah. — Map (db m30188) HM
Iowa (Wapello County), Eddyville — Curtis KingCivil War - Iowa - Wapello Co
U.S. muster rolls record him at age 80 as oldest man serving in Union army. — Map (db m30370) HM
Iowa (Warren County), Indianola — Junior D. Edwards Memorial
In honor of Junior D. Edwards SFC U.S. Army Oct 2, 1926 Jan 2, 1951 The only Iowan in the Korean Conflict to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor — Map (db m62723) WM
Iowa (Worth County), Northwood — Historic Northern Iowa / Carrie Lane Chapman Catt - (1859 - 1947)
Side A Northern Iowa landforms result from the action of 3 separate glacial ice sheets. Clear Lake, south of here, is one of the many Iowa lakes formed by glacial action. Pilot Knob, a glacially formed hill west of here, is one of highest points in northern Iowa and was used as a landmark by early travellers. Much of the Western two-thirds of Iowa was prairie when the first settlers arrived. Pioneers in this area travelled through grasses 5 to 7 feet tall. Many of them referred . . . — Map (db m23264) HM
Iowa (Worth County), Northwood — South Shell Rock Lutheran
Congregation organized by Rev C.L. Clausen 1869. Church erected on "Rustad Bakke." Dedicated 1875 Destroyed by fire 1920 Iowa 150 Celebrate Our State 1846 • 1996 — Map (db m16582) HM
Iowa (Worth County), Northwood — Worth County Courthouse Cannon
Cast during the Civil War years by the Northwood Foundry, once located on the north bank of the Shell Rock River. Iowa 150 Celebrate Our State 1846 • 1996 — Map (db m16572) HM
160 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 586 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.