Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Louisiana Historical Markers

814 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 564
Le Parc Du Vieux Depot Marker image, Click for more information
October 20, 2005
Le Parc Du Vieux Depot Marker
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Church Point — Le Parc Du Vieux Depot
The Village of Church Point was linked to the outside world by rail on April 19, 1907 when the Opelousas, Gulf and Northeast Railroad reached this point. The arrival of the OG& NE railroad brought an influx of commerce and industry to the area, . . . — Map (db m87873) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Crowley — Crowley
Founded 1886 & soon emerged as center of state's rice industry. Historic district listed on National Register of Historic Places. Significant for its impressive c.1890-c.1930 commercial area & its superb Victorian residences. — Map (db m85287) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Crowley — Senator John F. Kennedy Presidential Campaign Speech
On Friday October 19, 1959, Sen. John F. Kennedy (D) from Massachusetts, delivered a campaign speech in pursuit of the 1960 Democratic Party's nomination for the office of President of the United States. From the stage of the 23rd International Rice . . . — Map (db m87865) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Rayne — Jacques Weil Company
Jacques Weil and brothers, Edmond and Gontran, came to Rayne from Paris in 1901 and established a mercantile business that shipped frogs to restaurants and universities across the country. The business became a landmark in the area, expanding the . . . — Map (db m68710) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Rayne — Rayne Depot Square
Early Cajun settlers of Southwest Louisiana, who established Poupeville, demonstrated their courage and determination by moving businesses and homes one mile north, relocating on the site of the Louisiana Western Railroad, the first train depot . . . — Map (db m85297) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Rayne — St. Joseph's Catholic Church & Cemetery
The site of St. Joseph's Catholic Church and Cemetery was determined after the new settlement of Rayne was established. Huge wooden wheels were made and the old church from the original Poupeville settlement was mounted on them and moved to this . . . — Map (db m85307) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Rayne — The Bernard Bertrand Home
In 1883, the town of Rayne was incorporated and J.D. Bernard served as its first mayor. The Bernard residence stands today as one of Rayne's few remaining early structures. Originally located on West South 1st. St., it was purchased by E.J. . . . — Map (db m85291) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Richard — Acadia Baptist Acadamy1917-1973
The Acadia Baptist Academy once occupied these buildings and grounds. The school was founded in 1917 by the Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church and the Southern Baptist Home Mission Board. Its purpose was to provide Christian Education and training for . . . — Map (db m89002) HM
Louisiana (Allen Parish), Oakdale — Sgt. Leroy Johnson
"Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay his life down for his friend." No more appropriate words could be used than the above in the incident relative to the death of U.S. Army Sgt. Leroy Johnson of Oakdale, LA., who covered . . . — Map (db m86706) HM WM
Louisiana (Allen Parish), Oakdale — SSG Timothy B. Cole, Jr.All Gave Some - Some Gave All
The people of Oakdale, Louisiana, Allen Parish, and VFW Post 3687 dedicate this memorial in honor of SST Timothy B. Cole, Jr., who sacrificed his life in Ah Sadah, Iraq, for the love of his country and fellow soldiers. Born April 26, 1979 - Died . . . — Map (db m86776) WM
Louisiana (Allen Parish), Oakdale — Vietnam Memorial
If you love... you will be loyal...no matter what the cost 1 Corinthians 13:7 (TLB) The people of Oakdale, Louisiana dedicate this memorial in honor of our three young soldiers who gave their lives, in the Viet Nam War, for the love . . . — Map (db m86777) WM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Darrow — Bocage Plantation
Built in 1801 by Marius Pons Bringier as wedding gift for daughter Fanny, who married Christophe Colomb, a French refugee. Remodeled by Architect James Dakin 1837. Restored by Dr. & Mrs. E.G. Kohlsdorf 1941. — Map (db m85285) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Darrow — Tezcuco Plantation
Built in 1855 by Benjamin F. Tureaud, kinsman of Bringier family. Constructed of homemade red brick and Louisiana cypress. Purchased in 1888 by Dr. Julian T. Bringier. Retained by relatives until the 1940s. — Map (db m85284) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Donaldsonville — Ascension Catholic Church
This church founded August 15, 1772 by Father Angel de Revillagodos on orders of King Charles III of Spain. Cornerstone of Present church laid June 1876 by Bishop Elder of Natchez and the April 14, 1896 dedication by Archbishop Janssens of New . . . — Map (db m86048) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Donaldsonville — Bicentennial Jazz Plaza
Jazz developed at the turn of the 20th century in south Louisiana and was born from a combination of musical traditions: work songs, spirituals, blues, and ragtime. From the early days of vaudeville and minstrel shows to the formidable first years . . . — Map (db m86822) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Donaldsonville — Donaldsonville
Made capital of Louisiana in 1830; Legislature met from January 4 to March 16 and reconvened in 1831. In 1848 the old State House, located across from this site, was razed, and its bricks used to prevent wavewash at the bayou's mouth. — Map (db m85189) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Donaldsonville — Donaldsonville
Second Acadian Coast. Town founded by William Donaldson, 1806, on a farm of Pierre Landry. Began as a trading post about 1750. Home of Governor Francis T. Nicholls, of Dr. F.M. Prevost, who performed the first Caesarean section, 1824. Parish seat of . . . — Map (db m86046) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Donaldsonville — Fort Butler African American Soldiers Memorial
(left panel) "We are still anxious as we have ever been to show the world that the latent courage of the African is aroused, and that , while fighting under the American Flag, we can and will be a wall of fire and death to the enimies of . . . — Map (db m86323) WM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Donaldsonville — Fort Butler UDC Monument
(center panel) The Finest of Texas and Arizona, Lives lost by river and bayou. We mark their graves, Remember their names: Brave Confederates who died At Fort Butler, June 28, 1863. Martha M. Boltz Virginia Division - . . . — Map (db m86049) WM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Donaldsonville — Francis T. Nicholls1834-1912
On the site directly across from this marker Francis T. Nicholls — Confederate General, Governor and Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court — was born and reared. — Map (db m85191) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Donaldsonville — St. Emma Plantation
Scene of Civil War skirmish in fall of 1862. C.1850 Greek Revival plantation house owned 1854-1869 by Charles A. Kock, a prominent sugar planter. Listed on National Register of Historic Places in 1980. — Map (db m86042) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Donaldsonville — Walter Lemann, Sr. Pumping StationBayou Lafourche Fresh Water District — 1955
This facility is dedicated to the memory of Walter Lemann, Sr.(1879-1952) A citizen of Donaldsonville whose untiring efforts to restore a flow of fresh water to Bayou Lafourche continued from it's closure in 1903 until his death. It was his . . . — Map (db m86047) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Geismar — Abe Hawkins? - 1867
Once enslaved at Ashland Plantation, became noted 19th century African American jockey. Rode the horse Lecompte to victory over Lexington in 1854 in New Orleans. Inducted into the Louisiana Racing Museum Hall of Fame in 1997. — Map (db m84995) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Geismar — Ashland
Plantation home of Duncan Farrar Kenner, 1813-1887; statesman, lawyer, planter and Confederate minister to France and England in 1864. Home also known as Belle Helene. — Map (db m84996) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Modeste — Gaudin Home PlaceAt Philadelphia Point
Site of the plantation of the Jean Baptiste Gaudin Family from 1830 to 1874. Gaudin, a native of St. James Parish, established Gaudin Home Place from several small farms. He grew cotton then sugarcane. In time he would own over 1000 arpents . . . — Map (db m87261) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Prairieville — Galveztown
Old Spanish town at junction of Amite River and Bayou Manchac. Settled by Anglo-Americans, 1776-78, seeking Spanish refuge from American Revolution and by Canary Islanders (Islenos). Named for Spanish Governor Bernardo de Galvez. Town was abandoned . . . — Map (db m85246) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Prairieville — Prairieville Cemetery
The site of this cemetery, being one of the highest spots in east Ascension Parish, was used to bury those who died during crevasses. About the year 1785, Joseph Dupuy donated it as a non-sectarian cemetery, including slaves and Indians. Joseph . . . — Map (db m86105) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Prairieville — The Ascension Parish Negro Fair Association, Inc. / Ascension Parish Negro Fairgrounds
(side 1) The Ascension Parish Negro Fair Association, Inc. The APNFA, Inc. was established September 22, 1950 by concerned citizens in the Prairieville area. The Association assisted and encouraged the advancement of farming, . . . — Map (db m85750) HM
Louisiana (Assumption Parish), Belle Rose — Grand Bayou
"Where we love is home— home that our feet may leave but not our hearts." Oliver Wendell Holmes Founded by Gustave Joseph De La Barre Circa 1900 — Map (db m85518) HM
Louisiana (Assumption Parish), Belle Rose — Israel Baptist School(1872-1942)
In 1872, Reverend Osborne Dickerson and the First Israel B. C. congregation organized the Baptist Church School on this site to provide formal education for African American children. In 1877, Assumption Parish School Board's minutes showed that the . . . — Map (db m86041) HM
Louisiana (Assumption Parish), Belle Rose — Valenzuela Dans La Fourche
Founded under Spanish rule c. 1778 by Canary Islanders, later joined by Acadians and others. Post believed to have been on site of "Belle Alliance Plantation," 841 acre grant to Don Juan Vives, early Spanish physician, officer in the Galvez . . . — Map (db m86034) HM
Louisiana (Assumption Parish), Labadieville — Battle Of Georgia LandingOctober 27, 1862
First major battle fought along Bayou Lafourche during the War Between the States. Marching from Donaldsonville Union forces under General Weitzel (8th NH, 12th & 13th CT) attacked General Mouton (Ralston's Battery, 24th & 18th LA and the Terrebonne . . . — Map (db m85249) HM
Louisiana (Assumption Parish), Napoleonville — Assumption Parish World War II Memorial
. . . — Map (db m88361) WM
Louisiana (Assumption Parish), Napoleonville — Assumption Parish WWII Memorial
Assumption Parish dedicates this memorial to the memory of those who gave their lives in the service of their Country World War II 1941-1945 Clifton Ambrose Tuite H. Ambrose Joycee C. Amos Roland P. Aucoin Charles . . . — Map (db m88363) WM
Louisiana (Assumption Parish), Napoleonville — Christ Episcopal Church
Site of Elm Hall Plantation donated by Dr. E. E. Kittredge. Congregation organized and church constructed in 1853. Frank Willis, Architect. Consecrated by the Rt. Rev. Leonidas K. Polk in 1854. W.W. Pugh, Warden, 1853-1905. — Map (db m87901) HM
Louisiana (Assumption Parish), Napoleonville — Great War Memorial
Erected by the citizens of Assumption Parish in honor of her sons who served their country in the Great War for the preservation of democracy and in loving memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice for the triumph of the free peoples of the . . . — Map (db m88268) WM
Louisiana (Assumption Parish), Napoleonville — Madewood Plantation House
The first major building designed by noted architect Henry Howard. Construction of this Greek Revival mansion was begun in 1846, using materials from the land. Steamboats carried trade to Madewood on Bayou Lafourche. — Map (db m87862) HM
Louisiana (Assumption Parish), Napoleonville — Napoleonville
Nommee en l'hommeur de l'Empereur Napoleon ler, la ville est sur une ancienne voie de communication, 1730-1770, empruntee par les Francais puis par les Acadiens, pour aller de St-James jusqu'au port des Attakapas, sur le lac Verret. Ce lac . . . — Map (db m87863) HM
Louisiana (Assumption Parish), Pierre Part — Virgin Island
Commemorates The Blessed Virgin who the people of Pierre Part believe intervened to save lives in natural disasters from 1882-1976. Restored by the citizens during the Bicentennial Year 1976. — Map (db m85754) HM
Louisiana (Bienville Parish), Gibsland — Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker
This site May 23, 1934 Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker were killed by law enforcement officials Erected by Bienville Parish Police Jury — Map (db m66943) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — Belcher MoundHistoric Site
A Caddo mound and village dating between approximately 1450 & 1650 A.D. were located northeast of Belcher. The mound consisted of a series of platforms that contained houses or meeting places for the village leaders. The houses were burned . . . — Map (db m87132) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — Belcher Presbyterian ChurchHistoric Site
Belcher Presbyterian Church was organized on July 18, 1897, as the Red River Presbyterian Church. The congregation met in a vacant store building on Rush Point Plantation where services were held until 1900, when a one room frame building was . . . — Map (db m87130) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — Cedar Bluff FerryHistoric Site
Cedar Bluff Ferry was one of the ferries on the Red River between Bossier and Caddo Parishes in the 19th and early 20th century. It operated until the early 1950s when a bridge was built to the north for Highway 2. It ran from Cedar Bluff in Bossier . . . — Map (db m87160) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — First State Bank of BelcherHistoric Site
The First State bank of Belcher was organized in 1913. The present brick building was designed by the architect Edward F. Neild of Shreveport and built in 1924. The First State Bank later became Caddo Trust & Savings Bank the Belcher Masonic Lodge . . . — Map (db m87128) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — Louisiana Maneuvers Led by General PattonHistoric Site
During the Louisiana Maneuvers of 1941, the U.S. Army and Air Corps divided itself into two opposing armies for practice for possible war in Europe. Among the noted commanders in the maneuvers, was General George S. Patton. His mechanized armored . . . — Map (db m87133) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — Lynn PlantationHistoric Site
The plantation was established in 1914 by James Wiley Lynn with the purchase of property from the Cavett family. The plantation home, the cotton gin and the blacksmith shop were built by Mr. Lynn in 1928. The renovated dogtrot style home, the barn . . . — Map (db m87159) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — The Ruben V. Glassell House
The original house was built in 1899 by Ruben V. Glassell, a planter, and his wife Vivian. It faced west and had a center hall in the dogtrot style. Around 1910 interior columns and porches on the south and east sides were added, and the south side . . . — Map (db m87129) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Oil City — First Over Water Oil Well
The world’s first over water oil well was completed in Caddo Lake in 1911. The Ferry Lake No. 1 was erected by Gulf Refining Co. The well bottomed at 2,185 feet and produced 450 barrels per day. — Map (db m87158) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Oil City — Oil City
In the early 1900's this was a small logging community known as Ananies. In 1906, the first discovery oil well in the field, the Savage No. 1, was brought in. Around 1908 the name of the town was changed to Oil City, by 1910 the population had . . . — Map (db m87161) HM
Louisiana (Catahoula Parish), Sicily Island — Peck MoundsAncient Mounds Trail
The Peck Mounds site has 5 mounds built along the bluff above Lake Louie. Only 4 mounds are visible today. The largest is platform shaped and measures 18 feet tall and 165 by 180 feet at the base. The smaller 3 are domed shaped and average only 4 . . . — Map (db m87166) HM
Louisiana (Catahoula Parish), Sicily Island — Peck VillageAncient Mounds Trail
Peck Village is a village and mound site where Indians lived between 100 BC and AD 1200. Archaeologist James A. Ford excavated here in 1933. He used a method called seriation to study the changes in pottery decoration through time. Based on pottery . . . — Map (db m87165) HM
Louisiana (Concordia Parish), Ferriday — 107 — The Blues Trail: Mississipi to Louisiana
Louisiana and Mississippi have long shared a close musical relationship. One of the most important musical paths was that between Natchez and Ferriday, where African American entrepreneur Will Haney operated Haney’s Big House for several decades. . . . — Map (db m79555) HM
Louisiana (Concordia Parish), Frogmore — Frogmore MoundAncient Mounds Trail
Frogmore is an Indian mound and village site that dates to about AD 700-1200. The mound is rectangular and was built in two separate episodes. It is 14 feet high, 157 by 190 feet at the base, and 60 by 72 feet at the summit. The mound was built . . . — Map (db m10581) HM
Louisiana (Concordia Parish), Vidalia — Natchez
Here passed, in 1543, De Soto’s men under Moscoso. In 1682 La Salle and De Tonti here visited the Natchez Indians. In 1716 Bienville here built Fort Rosalie and established a French settlement. In 1763 the fort was ceded to the English and renamed . . . — Map (db m87168) HM
Louisiana (Concordia Parish), Vidalia — Relocation of Vidalia1938–1939
"Vidalia, a City on the Move!" is the slogan which has, in recent years, signified a progressive town surging ever forward. But, in 1938, it meant something entirely different to Vidalians as they literally moved their town from the banks of the . . . — Map (db m10582) HM
Louisiana (Concordia Parish), Vidalia — Sidney A. Murray, Jr., Hydroelectric Station1990
In 1990, construction of the largest prefabricated power plant in the world, the Sidney A. Murray, Jr., Hydroelectric Station, was completed 40 miles south of Vidalia. It was the vision of Mayor Sidney A. Murray, Jr. to harness the power of the . . . — Map (db m10583) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baker — Town Of Baker
Baker was one of the original stations on the Mississippi Valley Railroad in 1884, and a post office was established here in 1888. Much of the town is on the site of the former Baker Plantation owned by Josephus Baker between 1845 and 1851. Good . . . — Map (db m91989) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — 1779 Battle Of Baton Rouge
To honor and commemorate the men who fought in the Battle of Baton Rouge in the War of the American Revolution September 1779 Which was the only battle of this war fought outside of the original Thirteen Colonies. Placed by the Baton . . . — Map (db m87447) HM WM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Arsenal Museum
This building, erected c. 1835 as a powder magazine for a U.S. Army Post and Arsenal which used this area from 1810-1885, except in 1861-1862 when held by the Confederacy. In 1962 this building was restored and the museum established. — Map (db m87370) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Baton Rouge
Capitale de L'etat. Nommee par Iberville en 1699 d'apres le nom indien Iti Humma ou "Baton Rouge". Village fonde en 1721. Passe sous le controle des Anglais de 1763 a 1779 et des Espagnols de 1779 a 1810. Il faisait partie de la Republique de la . . . — Map (db m85652) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Baton Rouge Confederate Monument
Erected by the men and women of East and West Baton Rouge to perpetuate the heroism and patriotic devotion of the noble soldiers from the two parishes who wore the gray and crossed the river with their immortal leaders to rest under the shade of the . . . — Map (db m92984) WM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Baton Rouge High SchoolFounded 1880
1880-1900 200 St. Louis St. 1900-1912 900 Convention St. 1912-1927 1100 Florida St. 1927-Present 2825 Government St. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places -1986. Presented by B.R.H.S. Alumni Association Founded . . . — Map (db m88562) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Battle Of Baton Rouge, 1862
On August 3, 1862, Confederate troops from Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana under General John C. Breckinridge attacked from the east in an unsuccessful attempt to dislodge Union forces holding the city. Casualties were . . . — Map (db m85663) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Bayou Manchac(Iberville River)
It marked the boundary between areas possessed by Great Britain and Spain 1763-1779, and Spain and the United States 1803-1810. — Map (db m85830) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Beauregard Town
In 1806 Elias Beauregard commissioned Ira C. Kneeland to subdivide his plantation and sold lots at public auction. Baton Rouge's first large real estate project, bounded by North, South and East Boulevards and the river, was centered around a . . . — Map (db m85064) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Benjamin Parker Thomas1782-1835
On Sept. 24, 1810, a group of West Floridians on horseback, led by Gen. Philemon Thomas and his military aide, Col. Benj. Parker Thomas, seized the old Baton Rouge Fort, ending 30 yrs. of Spanish control of West Florida. The General's daughter . . . — Map (db m92751) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Campanile1926 1976
"Erected as an enduring monument to memorialize Louisiana's sons and daughters who died in World War 1. The memorial was funded and dedicated April 30, 1926 by General John R. McQuigg, National Commander of the American Legion" — Map (db m89333) WM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — 5 — Capitol Building
In 1931, when Governor Huey Long commissioned America's tallest state capitol, he probably never guessed he'd be assassinated inside it four years later. Note how the structure's friezes, marble-work and statuary are as elaborate as the political . . . — Map (db m88738) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Capture Of Baton Rouge by Galvez, 1779
This plaque depicts the surrender of the British fort at Baton Rouge, by Lt. Colonel Alexander Dickson to Bernardo de Galvez, Governor of Spanish Louisiana, on September 21, 1779. Also surrendered were all other British posts along the Lower . . . — Map (db m85222) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Ceremonial Indian Mound
One of a group of mounds probably constructed about A.D. 1000 during the Cole Creek culture period. Surrounded by a large village area, such mounds served as foundations for sacred buildings and as platforms for the chief to address the tribesmen. . . . — Map (db m87446) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Chellis "Mike" ChambersAthletic Trainer — LSU Tigers 1936
He was largely responsible for the idea and fund raising for a live mascot for LSU. The student body, when asked to name the new tiger chanted the name "MIKE!" Tiger Mike Mascot LSU Tigers Mike is a Bengal Tiger. He stands 7 feet tall, . . . — Map (db m93974) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Civil War Battle
Colonel Henry Watkins Allen, later governor of Confederate Louisiana, was severely wounded near here in the Battle Of Baton Rouge, August 5, 1862. He fell while leading his Louisiana brigade against the Indiana battery in position on Government near . . . — Map (db m86585) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Civil War Battle of Baton Rouge1862
On August 5, 1862, Confederate Divisions of Generals Charles C. Clark and Donald Ruggles under General John C. Breckinridge attacked Federal forces of General Thomas Williams among the tent camps of the 21st Indiana and 7th Vermont Regiments. . . . — Map (db m43075) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Dedicated To You, A Free Citizen In A Free Land
This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of Louisiana by direction of The Honorable John W. Snyder Secretary of the Treasury As the inspirational symbol of the United States Savings Bonds Independence Drive . . . — Map (db m87218) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Delta Zeta Sorority
Delta Zeta Sorority was founded at Miami University in 1902. The second oldest sorority on campus, the Sigma chapter was the first established in the South on November 30, 1917. Find within the walls of this home a sisterhood inspired by . . . — Map (db m95025) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Dog-Trot House1863
Known as the Neal Family Home, this House was originally located in Gardner, Rapides Parish, Louisiana. It was constructed of hewn pine logs. Building began in 1863, but was not completed until the late 1860's. This house consists of two rooms . . . — Map (db m92485) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Dutch Highlands1784-c.1880
Ben Hur Road to Seigan Lane first area settled under Spain by Germans, upon signing of treaty by England and Spain. Where road began. Georg Kleinpeter site, original claimant. Leader in agriculture who grew sugar cane with success, first time on . . . — Map (db m94075) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — First Air Mail Flight
The first official air mail flight between cities in the United States landed on the LSU athletic field April 10, 1912. After taking off from the City Park Race Course in New Orleans, aviator George Mestache flew a monoplane with a 32-pound pouch of . . . — Map (db m87473) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — First United Methodist Church
Methodist preachers, known as "circuit riders", began ministering in the Baton Rouge area in the 1820's. The Methodist Episcopal Church incorporated in 1834, Rec. Charles K. Marshall, Pastor. The congregation built their first church near the . . . — Map (db m87270) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Flag of England1765-1779
Baton Rouge was situated within the territory which Great Britain received from France at the end of the Seven Years' War. With the creation of the governments of West and East Florida, the former French settlement on the Mississippi became a part . . . — Map (db m91063) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Flag Of France1699-1765
Although Spanish explorers probably saw the Baton Rouge bluffs from the river before Iberville landed here in 1699, Spain did not colonize the area. It became a France possession in 1682 when LaSalle claimed all the land drained by the Mississippi . . . — Map (db m91058) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Flag of Spain1779-1810
Spanish troops commanded by Bernardo De Galvez captured the British fort at Baton Rouge on September 21, 1779. Although the historic Red-and-White Banner of Castile and Leon was the first Spanish flag to fly over the fort in 1785, the national flag . . . — Map (db m91826) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Flag of the Confederate States of AmericaMarch 21, 1861 - May 9, 1862
Louisiana seceded from the Union January 26, 1861, and a blue pelican flag replaced the U.S. flag. The National Flag of Louisiana, adopted February 12, 1861, became the second state flag until Louisiana joined the Confederacy March 21, there were . . . — Map (db m91827) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Flag of the State of LouisianaAdopted 1912
The first usage of the Pelican Flag as emblematic of Louisiana in unknown, but references to flags with a pelican design were made long before the Civil War. The flag was officially adopted by the State Legislature July 1, 1912. On the flag appears . . . — Map (db m91068) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Flag of West FloridaSeptember 23 - December 10, 1810
Under authority of the West Florida Convention, troops commanded by Philemon Thomas captured the Spanish fort and Governor at Baton Rouge September 23, 1810. The independent Republic of West Florida was established and it's blue flag with a white . . . — Map (db m91066) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Former Governor's Mansion
Completed in 1930, this mansion was first occupied by Governor Huey P. Long. It was the official residence of successive Louisiana governors until Governor Jimmie H. Davis moved into the new mansion near the Capitol in 1962. From 1887 to . . . — Map (db m88299) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — 2 — Fort San Carlos
Boom, boom, boom! Cannon fired all day across these grounds on September 21st, 1779, until the British flag finally came down. The Spanish victor's troops included African-Americans, Native-Americans, and French-Acadian refugees, in this, the . . . — Map (db m87540) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Fort San Carlos
Here on a bluff of the river stood the old star-shaped Spanish fort from which the West Florida parishes were governed in Spanish colonial days 1779-1810. It was captured by the forces of the West Florida Republic led by Philemon Thomas, Sept 23, . . . — Map (db m87822) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Fort Sumter Saloon
According to local tradition, Charles Weick named his newly purchased saloon the day after Fort Sumter was fired on, 1861, and put the cannon out front for atmosphere. It was one of the city's most popular saloons until prohibition. — Map (db m88273) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — George Garig
This was in 1794-1825 the 800 arpent plantation of George Garig, a German settler from Maryland, "a resident of well nown[sic] honesty and one of the most skillful builders of cotton gins and presses in this territory." Because families . . . — Map (db m92852) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Germain Bergeron HouseBuilt Prior to 1805
The Jean Charles Germain Bergeron House, one of the oldest surviving Acadian dwellings in Louisiana, was moved to the Rural Life Museum in 2005 from the east bank of Bayou Lafourche, three miles from Labadieville in Lafourche Parish. The . . . — Map (db m92483) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Gras-Devall Plaza
These four corners were dedicated for public use in 1809 by Antonio Gras and Edith and Richard Devall. A market was to be in the center, and the corners were used for hitching horses and wagons. — Map (db m87869) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Highland Cemetery
In use since 1815. Interred here, among others, are Armand Allard Duplantier, Sr. (1753-1827), French officer who served with Lafayette in the American Revolution; his wife, Constance Rochon Joyce (1766-1841); and Pierre Joseph Favrot (1749-1824), . . . — Map (db m86928) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Highland Cemetery
Oldest surviving cemetery in Baton Rouge. Dedicated by George Garig as a burial ground in 1813 and deeded to St. Joseph Roman Catholic Parish in 1819. This cemetery holds the remains of American Revolutionary War soldiers Armand Duplantier and . . . — Map (db m92878) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — 8 — Huey Long Grave
Public service commissioner, then governor, finally U.S. senator, Huey Pierce Long went from obscure upstate lawyer to flamboyant national figure. Along the way, he built a political dynasty—as well as roads, bridges, hospitals and schools. . . . — Map (db m87430) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — In Honor of George WashingtonThe Father Of Our Country
Unanimously elected Commander in Chief of the Continental Army (1775-1783) President of the Constitutional Convention (1787) President of the United States of America (1789-1797) A gift to the people of Louisiana by The Louisiana . . . — Map (db m88304) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — 2/6 — John Archer LeJeuneLieutenant General, U.S. Marine Corps — 1867-1942
During his more than forty years of service with the Marine Corps, John A. Lejeune participated in campaigns in Panama, Cuba, Mexico, France and Germany. He led the famed 2nd Division, American Expeditionary Force, during World War I with valor and . . . — Map (db m88608) HM WM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — John Baptiste Kleinpeter1797-1861
Corporal, Capt. Thomas Co., LA. Militia, War of 1812. Son of George Kleinpeter who was first to successfully grow sugarcane on these highlands; grandson of Johann George Kleinpeter, the original German settler of 1784, builder of first steam sugar . . . — Map (db m92837) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Lafayette Building
One of the earliest remaining architecturally significant buildings in the city. Originally the residence of Judge Charles Tessier, first Probate Judge of East Baton Rouge Parish, who acquired the property in the early 1800's through the claim of . . . — Map (db m88281) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Land Grant College / Sea Grant College
(plaque 1) Land Grant College Congress, through the Morrill Act of of 1862, donated 210,000 acres of public land to Louisiana to provide a college "For the benefit of Agriculture and the Mechanical Arts." The land and underlying . . . — Map (db m91023) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Louisiana State Capitol
. . . — Map (db m88272) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Louisiana State Seminary of Learning Foundation Stone
This stone came from the foundation of the first building erected for the university, then called the Louisiana State Seminary of Learning located near Alexandria, LA. This building was constructed in 1859 and was occupied by the seminary from . . . — Map (db m91016) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College
Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College began as the Louisiana State Seminary of Learning and Military Academy, opening its door for the first session on January 2, 1860 at Pineville, LA. William Tecumseh Sherman was . . . — Map (db m91003) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — LSU Campus Mounds
Hunter-gatherers built these two mounds 5,000 years ago. Part of the oldest earthen-mound complex in North America,they were placed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 1, 1999. They are older than the Egyptian pyramids, and . . . — Map (db m87223) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — 10 — LSU Former Campus
In 1885, Louisiana State University moved from Mid-State city of Alexandria to this site, taking over the decommissioned Baton Rouge Arsenal. Nicknamed the "Old War Skule" on these grounds LSU saw its first intercollegiate football game, regular . . . — Map (db m87429) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Magnolia Cemetery
In 1852 the town of Baton Rouge bought this property for a cemetery. On these grounds, August 5, 1862, the major action of the Battle of Baton Rouge took place. Louisiana novelist Lyle Saxon is among prominent Louisianians buried here. — Map (db m87227) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — March Of Galvez
Not far from here is the route taken from Manchac to Baton Rouge by the forces of Bernardo de Galvez in Sept. 1779 in their historic ouster of the British from this territory and the beginning of 30 yrs. of Spanish Domination, 1779-1809. Buried here . . . — Map (db m92836) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Marcha De Galvez
Near this site in 1779, under the leadership of Governor Bernard de Galvez and his aid Oliver Pollock, Spanish regulars, Americans and Louisiana militiamen marched from New Orleans to Baton Rouge to engage the British forces at Fort New Richmond. . . . — Map (db m85223) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Merci Train
The Louisiana box car of the Merci Train from France expressing the gratitude of that nation presented by Consul General Lionel Vasse to Governor Earl K. Long on February 22, 1949, in appreciation of the generosity of the American . . . — Map (db m92828) WM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Mestrovic Court
Ivan Mestrovic was the most prominent figure among Yugoslav sculptures of the current century, and he has a special niche in his country's history of art. The creative activity of this prolific artist won a name for him throughout the world. He . . . — Map (db m91045) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Morgan House Site
On this site stood the home of Sarah Morgan Dawson (1842-1909) who wrote A Confederate Girl's Diary, which has become a Civil War classic. The diary depicts the occupation of Baton Rouge by Union forces. — Map (db m92412) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — National Cemetery
Federal soldiers killed in the Battle of Baton Rouge, August 5, 1862, were buried on this site which became a National Cemetery in 1867. Among soldiers buried here is General Philemon Thomas, remembered for his attack on the Spanish fort at Baton . . . — Map (db m87226) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Oak Ridge, Louisiana Jailcirca 1850
The Oak Ridge Jail is believed to be the only surviving pre Civil War wooden jail in Louisiana. The parish sheriff used it to lock up any criminals, whether free or slave. It is of plank construction with no corner posts or framing materials. The . . . — Map (db m88285) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — 7 — Old Arsenal
This 1835 building's 4½ foot thick walls were designed to protect gunpowder stored inside—and help contain the explosion if that protection failed. It was part of an army post that covered these grounds from 1810 to 1885. The Civil War . . . — Map (db m87445) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Old Post Office
An excellent architectural example of Renaissance Eclecticism, this building was erected in 1894 as the U.S. Post Office. Renovated in 1935 it served as City Hall until 1955, when it was leased and remodeled by a private men's club. — Map (db m87789) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Old State Capitol1850-1862, 1882-1932
This Gothic Revival structure was designed by James Harrison Dankin. The Louisiana Secession Ordinance was adopted here in 1861. The interior was burned in December 1862 while the building was occupied by Federal troops. Reconstructed by William . . . — Map (db m87892) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Ole War Skule1886 - 1925
Site of the Louisiana State University 1886 - 1925 This marker erected by the last generation of the Cadets of the 'Ole War Skule' To honor the men and women who attended or served Louisiana State University while on these . . . — Map (db m85698) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Oliver Pollock
Commemorating Oliver Pollock, American Patriot and his nine fellow Americans in the March De Galvez Oliver Pollock Representative of the Continential Congress in Spanish Louisiana Agent of the Colony of Virginia and financier of that . . . — Map (db m86603) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Original Site of the First Methodist Church of Baton Rouge
Incorporated January 25, 1834, the church was built on this site in 1836, Charles K. Marshall, Pastor. Enlarged under the leadership of the Reverend William E. M. Linfield in 1860, it was used until March 28, 1926, when the congregation moved to a . . . — Map (db m88303) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Original Site of the First Presbyterian Church
Organized May 27, 1827, after twelve years of missionary work by the Presbytery of Mississippi, John Dorrance first minister. Sanctuary dedicated in 1829. Rebuilt in 1854 on the same site and used until 1926 when new building was erected on the . . . — Map (db m85342) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — 4 — Pentagon Barracks
Begun in 1819, construction dragged on for five years because of epidemic yellow fever. It's fifth building (hence the name "pentagon") soon collapsed into a pile of bricks. But the remaining structures survived both civil war bombardment and nearly . . . — Map (db m87472) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Pentagon Buildings
Constructed 1819-1822 to house U.S. troops. Used as a garrison from 1822-1877 except from 1861-1862 when held by Confederates. From 1886-1925 these buildings and grounds were the site of Louisiana State University. — Map (db m85704) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Pickney Benton Stewart Pinchback
In memory of P.B.S. Pinchback, the first African American governor in U.S.history. Pinchback, Governor of Louisiana from Dec. 9, 1872 to Jan. 13, 1873, was born free on May 10, 1837. He was a Union Army Officer during the Civil War. In 1868, . . . — Map (db m85026) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Pigeonnier(Dovecote) — Circa 1890
Pigeonniers were built to house pigeons, a valuable source of food and fertilizer. French colonists brought the tradition of the pigeonnier from their native country, where it is considered a status symbol. In Louisiana, plantation owners placed . . . — Map (db m88530)
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Piño House
Little cottage typical of the wood frame residences of early Spanish Town. Originally, the house was one room deep with galleries, front and rear. The original lot, 160 feet wide and extending from North Street to Spanish Town Road was purchased by . . . — Map (db m87282) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Potts House
Built in the Classic Revival Style between 1846 and 1850 by Nelson Potts, Master Brick Mason, as an example of his craft as well as his home. Potts was one of the major builders of Baton Rouge during the mid-19th century. — Map (db m87278) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Repentance Fountain
During the Spanish domination of Baton Rouge, Repentance Street ran through this area. It was so named because convicted criminals walked along it on their way to receive sentencing at the Commandant's house where the old State Capitol now stands. — Map (db m89001) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Riverfront Plaza1984
Located on the first high bluffs rising above the Mississippi River, Baton Rouge derives its name from the French explorer d'Iberville's 1699 description of a red stick or pole dividing the hunting grounds of the Bayou Goula and Houmas Indians. The . . . — Map (db m85944) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Scott's Bluff
This bluff is believed to have been named for Dr. William Bernard Scott, who bought the property from Lelia Skipwith in 1839. She was the daughter of Fulwar Skipwith, governor of the 1810 West Florida republic and widow of Thomas Bolling Robertson, . . . — Map (db m85027) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Site of Early Gunsmith Shop(1836-1860)
Here stood the home and shop of Captain Daniel Searles, one of Baton Rouge's early gunsmiths and knife makers. Searles was a maker of the famed Bowie knife. His name is engraved on a knife made for Rezin Pleasant Bowie for presentation to a . . . — Map (db m87868) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Site of Spanish Battery, 1779
Behind an orchard on a mound near this site artillerymen under Spanish Governor Bernardo Galvez placed a battery of six cannon and on September 21, 1779, after a three-hour bombardment, forced the surrender of the British fort located about one . . . — Map (db m87923) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Site of the Shiloh Baptist Church
On July 7, 1872, Rev. George Bird and the congregation of Shiloh Church dedicated the cornerstone of their new frame church on this site. For more than forty years the Church occupied a prominent place in the life of Spanish Town. In March 1918 this . . . — Map (db m87371) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Site of the Weiss House
On September 8, 1935, Dr. Carl Austin Weiss was living here with his family is a small frame cottage. About 9:30 that evening, U.S.Senator Huey P. Long was shot in the corridor just off the house chamber of the State Capitol. Weiss, the alleged . . . — Map (db m88591) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Southern University
This institution was established in 1880 under an 1879 constitutional mandate to educate "persons of color". It was originally located in New Orleans, being one of the first colleges for blacks to receive Federal land scrip funds for agriculture and . . . — Map (db m85680) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Southern University
First State Institution Learning For Blacks. Founded New Orleans 1880, as a State Declared College. Became a Land Grant College in 1890; moved to Baton Rouge 1914. Founder and First President, Dr. J. S. Clark, Native of Louisiana. — Map (db m87221) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Spanish Town
East of this point was Spanish Town, laid out in 1805 by Carlos GrandPré, Governor of Spanish West Florida for the Canary Islanders from Galvez Town that they might continue to live on Spanish soiland help defend the forts. Spanish Town Road is now . . . — Map (db m88592) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Spanish-American War Memorial
In Memoriam U.S.S. Maine Destroyed in Havana Harbor February 15, 1898 This figurehead from the battleship "Louisiana" is erected in memory of the soldiers and sailors who served the flag in the Spanish-American War. . . . — Map (db m86012) WM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — St. James Episcopal Church
The congregation first organized in 1819, received their charter as St. James Church in 1844. The second church, of Gothic Revival style, was completed in 1895. Mrs. Zachary Taylor was an early member. — Map (db m88274) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — St. Joseph Cathedral
Built in 1853 to 1856 on the site of two earlier churches. The first erected about 1790 under Spanish rule was called "Our Lady of Sorrows." The first marriage recorded was that of Don Antonio Gras, an early Spanish resident who donated the land. . . . — Map (db m87854) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery
In 1825 St. Joseph Church purchased this property for a graveyard. Remains of some of Baton Rouges's first settlers were moved here from the old Spanish Cemetery, or cemetery of the Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, which became St. Joseph's. Philip . . . — Map (db m85156) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — St. Vincent's Academy/Catholic High School
The Brothers of the Sacred Heart founded St. Vincent's Academy on this site in 1894. In 1929 the school for boys was replaced by a larger facility and renamed Catholic High School. In 1957 the school was moved to it's present location on Hearthstone . . . — Map (db m87444) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Stewart-Dougherty House
Built about 1850 by Nathan King Knox and first occupied by the Stewart-Dougherty families, this house was used as a hospital by Union soldiers during the Civil War. It is an excellent example of Classical Revival architecture. — Map (db m72959) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Stoker Barncirca 1845
Riley Stoker built this log barn on his family farm near Fort Jesup in Sabine Parish, Louisiana where it was in use for over 150 years. Architecturally it is described as a double pen log structure with an open passage in the center. This type of . . . — Map (db m88783) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Stoner/Athens CabinCirca 1840
The Stoner cabin was built on Greenwell Springs road in East Baton Rouge Parish. It is a single pen structure constructed of large, hewn pine logs with dovetail joints. This type of construction was favored by yeoman farmers of British descent who . . . — Map (db m88566) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Sugar Kettle
Used by Jean Étienne de Borè in 1795 to granulate sugar from Louisiana cane for the first time, thus revolutionizing Louisiana’s economy. The kettle was later bought by planter John Hill and given to Louisiana State University. — Map (db m85702) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — The D'Artaguiette Concession
The D'Artaguiette Brothers, Jean-Baptiste Martin, Navy Commissaire and later director of the Company of the Indies, Bernard Diron, Inspector General and later Commandant at Mobile and Captain Pierre D'Itouralde, Commandant of Illinois, killed in . . . — Map (db m88775) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — The First Cemetery In Baton Rouge
The first cemetery in Baton Rouge was the cemetery of La Yglesia Los Dolores de la Virgin, Our Lady of Sorrows. Established in 1792 by order of King Carlos IV of Spain. This present cemetery was established in 1824 and the remains of Baton Rouges . . . — Map (db m88564) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — The Former Baptismal Fount
From St. Joseph Catherdral. The first baptism recorded here was Juan Josef Trahan, son of Juan Marie Trahan of Morlaix, Britanny, France and Adelaida Tulier of Cherbourg, Normandy, France. He was born June 19, 1793 and baptized Oct. 24, 1793. The . . . — Map (db m93354) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — The Founding Of Baton Rouge
The name Baton Rouge comes from the Indian word "Istrouma," meaning Red Stick. Earliest written records about Baton Rouge were provided by members of Iberville's expedition on March 17, 1699: "From there (Bayou Manchac) we ascended . . . — Map (db m85221) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — The Hill Memorial Library Columns
These marble columns graced the entrance to the Hill Memorial Library which was given to L.S.U. in 1902 by John Hill, Sr. in memory of his son John Hill, Jr. Thousands of students and faculty members passed between the columns until the structure . . . — Map (db m92560) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — The Louisiana State University
The Louisiana State University campus is characterized by distinctive buildings that embrace Italian Renaissance forms and features, including grainy stucco walls, graceful arches and red tile roofs. The historic campus is an outstanding work . . . — Map (db m89373) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — 3 — The Mississippi River
Look over the water and across time. Do you hear the paddling of Native American dug-outs? Thunderous volleys from the Civil War gunboat pictured above? Perhaps Mark Twain piloting a paddle-wheeler or P.T. Barnum beckoning with his showboat's . . . — Map (db m88295) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Troy H. Middleton
Born October 12,1889 in Georgetown Mississippi Died October 9, 1976 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana Troy H. Middleton was a distinguished soldier and educator whose remarkable dual career was such that it is difficult sometimes to seperate one role . . . — Map (db m85651) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — U.S.S. Kidd
. . . — Map (db m85774) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Uncle Jack
Marker 1 Uncle Jack This bronze statue of an elderly black man was created to memorialize the accomplishments and contributions of the African-Americans in nineteenth century Louisiana. The statue was the brainchild of Jackson L. . . . — Map (db m88234) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — USCGC White AlderLouisiana Memorial Plaza — USS KIDD Veterans Memorial and Museum
Panel 1: USCGC WHITE ALDER/WLM-541 7 December 1968 In memory and honor of those shipmates who loyally served the United States Coast Guard on board the CGC WHITE ALDER. They gave the ultimate sacrifice. On December 7, . . . — Map (db m86508) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — USS KIDD - "DD 661"
Panel 1: It is August first, 1945, Hunter's Point Naval Shipyard, San Francisco. The KIDD is just completing repairs following the April 11 Kamikaze hit that killed thirty-eight of her crew off Okinawa. It is before the days of television, . . . — Map (db m85886) HM WM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777
In 1775, Bartram noted an "arborescent aromatic vine" and "a new and beautiful species of Verbena" growing near here. — Map (db m92561) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Zachary Taylor
To honor Zachary Taylor U.S. Army General and twelfth President of the United States Known to Americans as "Old Rough and Ready" and who lived for a time some 200 yards southwest of this spot This marker placed in 1951 by . . . — Map (db m87482) HM WM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — 1 — Zachary Taylor Home Site
"Old Rough and Ready," America's 12th president, lived on this site in the home pictured above. He called the cottage Buena Vista after his famous 1847 victory in the Mexican War. The pale horse pictured was Taylor's favorite, "Whitey." It would . . . — Map (db m87824) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Greenwell Springs — Greenwell Springs
Named for the Greenwell family, a resort with a hotel, pavilion and cottages was developed here in the 1850's with stage service to and from Baton Rouge. General John C. Breckinridge's Confederate troops camped here in August 1862. The hotel burned . . . — Map (db m85681) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Greenwell Springs — Parish of St. Alphonsus Liguori
Worshiping Catholics have gathered at this site since 1898. St. Francis of Assisi mission church was established with funds raised by Amelia Landry and built on land donated by Talbot Richard. It became St. Alphonsus Liguori Parish in 1962. Guided . . . — Map (db m85313) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Zachary — A National Cemetery System
Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. Government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union . . . — Map (db m93325) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Zachary — Battle of the Plains Store1863
On May 21, 1863, a two-story building near this site housing Young’s store and the Plains Masonic Lodge was the center of a battle between Colonel William R. Miles’ Legion comprised of Confederate troops from Louisiana and units of General C.C. . . . — Map (db m93475) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Zachary — Heroes Of The War On Terrorism
We will not forget those who served our country and gave all… Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friend… John 15:13 — Map (db m93327) WM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Zachary — Port Hudson Siege
Seven miles west is site of anchor fort controlling Mississippi. Here 6500 Confederates held 30,000 Union troops May 21 until July 8, 1863. Fall of Port Hudson opened river, hastening fall of Confederacy. — Map (db m91993) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Zachary — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777
In 1775, Bartram made a special trip by horseback to "White plains" noting "grassy fields of many miles extent." — Map (db m93330) HM
Louisiana (East Carroll Parish), Lake Providence — Battle for the Mississippi: The Vicksburg Campaign
Left side The fall of New Orleans in April 1862, capped the beginning of an 18-month drive to control Vicksburg and the Mississippi River. The fight for this strategic location was arduous. Vicksburg, sitting high atop . . . — Map (db m90404) HM
Louisiana (East Carroll Parish), Lake Providence — Grant's Canal
In early 1863 Federal General U.S. Grant dug a canal here connecting the Mississippi River and Lake Providence. This attempt to use bayous and rivers to bypass Vicksburg failed. — Map (db m90201) HM
Louisiana (East Carroll Parish), Lake Providence — Grant's March Through Louisiana
Marker middle Winter Quarters Winter Quarters, the country home of Haller and Julia Nutt, is the only plantation home along Lake Saint Joseph that survived the Vicksburg campaign. The Nutts were Union sympathizers who . . . — Map (db m90405) HM
Louisiana (East Carroll Parish), Lake Providence — Lake Providence Confederate Monument1861 - 1865
To our Confederate Soldiers — Map (db m90259) WM
Louisiana (East Carroll Parish), Lake Providence — Soldiers' Rest
In early 1863, Union troops commanded by Gen. U.S. Grant dug a canal connecting the Mississippi River and Lake Providence. They camped in an area known as "Soldiers' Rest," which provided a temporary home. — Map (db m89783) HM
Louisiana (East Carroll Parish), Roosevelt — Roosevelt
Originally named O’Hara’s Switch. Renamed Roosevelt in honor of President Theodore Roosevelt, who hunted bear in the area in October, 1907. He recorded his adventures here in an article entitled "In the Louisiana Canebrakes." — Map (db m89791) HM
Louisiana (East Carroll Parish), Transylvania — Julice MoundAncient Mounds Trail
Julice is a 9-foot-tall mound that is 130 by 65 feet at the base. The mound is rectangular with a flat top. However, it was square before the east side was altered for the highway. Pottery found near the mound suggests Indians built it around AD . . . — Map (db m89788) HM
Louisiana (East Carroll Parish), Transylvania — Transylvania MoundsAncient Mounds Trail
Transylvania once had up to 12 mounds. Only 6 are visible now. The mounds were rectangular in shape with flat tops prior to being altered in historic times. The largest is nearly 34 feet tall. It is in the center of the site and overlooks 2 plaza . . . — Map (db m89789) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Clinton — Clinton Courthouse
This courthouse, built in 1840, is one of the architectural treasures of the state. The present building replaced a wooden courthouse that dated from 1825-26, which was burned in March, 1839. This is one of the oldest courthouses in Louisiana which . . . — Map (db m92418) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Clinton — Courthouse and Lawyers' Row Historic District
Courthouse and Lawyers' Row Historic District has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1974 Heritage . . . — Map (db m92413) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Clinton — Lawyers' Row
Constructed ca. 1840-1865. Outstanding group of early 19th century Classical style offices. Early occupants were noted for their contributions to the political and judicial history of the area and the state. (plaque) Alexander Stirling . . . — Map (db m92419) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Clinton — St. Andrew's Episcopal Church
First Episcopal services in Clinton conducted in 1842 by Rev. William B. Lacey, president of College of Louisiana at Jackson. Parish organized in 1852. Rev. Frederick Dean was first resident priest. Present church dates from 1871. . . . — Map (db m92420) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Burial Site of Lt. Col. John C. McKowen
Lt. Col. McKowen, 1st. La. Cavalry, C.S.A., who on June 3, 1863, with 5 men captured Brig. Gen. Neal Dow near here. Dow was later exchanged for Brig. Gen. W.H.F. Lee, son of Gen. Robert E. Lee. A former mayor of Portland, Me. Dow ran for president . . . — Map (db m85778) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Centenary State Historic Site"The Cemetery"
Centenary College minutes dated October 7, 1861 read, "Students have all gone to war. College suspended and God help the right." From 1861 to 1866 the college remained closed. Both Union and Confederate troops used and misused college buildings and . . . — Map (db m85521) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Feliciana Courthouse(1816-1824)
Jackson became the seat of justice for Feliciana Parish by Act of Legislature, Jan., 1815. Public town square donated by James Ficklin and John Horton. In active use until parish divided into East and West Feliciana in February, 1824. — Map (db m85776) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — First European Settlers
The domination of Europeans over this section of Louisiana is divided into five epochs: French----1717 to 1763 British----1763 to 1779 Spanish----1779 to 1810 Independent*----Sept.10 to Dec. 7 United States----1810 *Republic of West . . . — Map (db m85780) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Jackson
Founded as seat of justice for Feliciana Parish, 1815. College of Louisiana founded here, 1825. Became Centenary College, 1845. State insane asylum founded here, 1847. Historic district on National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m91969) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Linwood
1 mile SW. Built c. 1848 by Albert G. Carter. A portion of Sarah Morgan Dawson's A Confederate Girl's Diary was written here. Bombardment of Port Hudson and other events at Linwood are described in this important Civil War source. . . . — Map (db m93427) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Methodist ChurchJackson, LA ca 1854
Host to Mississippi Conference in 1854. The Gothic basilica, slave gallery, windows depicting cross and crown of thorns, has served its congregation 140 years. — Map (db m85820) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Original Feliciana CourthouseBuilt in 1816
And used for that purpose until the division of the Parish into East and West Feliciana in 1824. This building has been owned by the Jackson Assembly since 1969. — Map (db m93350) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Port Hudson — Port Hudson
. . . — Map (db m86556) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Port Hudson — U.S. Navy 42-Pounder Gun, Model 1816 On Barbette Carriage
Both the U.S. Army and Navy started using 42-pounder cannons early in the 19th century. They were among the largest cannons in use at that time. Due to their great size and weight, these cannons were used only at established forts and on the . . . — Map (db m86234) HM
Louisiana (Evangeline Parish), Mamou — Fred's Lounge1946 In Memory of Alfred "Fred" Tate 1996 — 11/20/12 - 7/15/92
11-20-46 Fred purchased Tate's Bar, now known as Famous "Fred's Lounge," Mamou, LA. In 1950 Courir de Mardi Gras was revived at Fred's Lounge. June, 1962 the late Revon Reed began remote radio program at Fred's Lounge which is still alive today . . . — Map (db m85368) HM
Louisiana (Evangeline Parish), Ville Platte — Ville Platte
Area first settled in late eighteenth century. Located on Spanish Royal Road. Marcellin Garand, former adjutant major in French army, regarded as founder. incorporated in 1858. Parish seat of Evangeline Parish. — Map (db m86740) HM
Louisiana (Franklin Parish), Winnsboro — Franklin Parish
Franklin Parish was created on March 1, 1843, from portions of Ouachita, Catahoula, and Madison Parishes by Act 41 of the State Legislature sponsored by John Winn. Land for the centrally-located Parish Seat, "Winnsborough" was purchased in 1844 and . . . — Map (db m51634) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Colfax — Colfax Riot
On this site occurred the Colfax Riot in which three white men and 150 negroes were slain. This event on April 13, 1873, marked the end of carpetbag misrule in the South. — Map (db m34602) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — FactoryMcIlhenny Company — Tabasco
Edmund McIlhenny concocted the now famous TABASCO brand pepper sauce in a wooden frame building called the “Laboratory” on the Homestead grounds of the Avery McIlhenny family. A factory built in the early 1900’s replaced the Laboratory . . . — Map (db m62015) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Jeanerette — Bayside Plantation
This house was built in 1850 by Francis D. Richardson on Bayou Teche in Greek Revival style of the period. Richardson, a classmate & friend of Edgar Allen Poe, purchased the land for a sugar plantation. Named Bayside because of dense growth of Bay . . . — Map (db m85042) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Jeanerette — Beau Pre-Circa 1828
This home, originally known as Pine Grove, was bought in 1830 by John W. Jeanerette, the first Postmaster between New Iberia and Charenton, and for whom Jeanerette is named. This historic home escaped the destruction of military operations in the . . . — Map (db m85278) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Jeanerette — Harry B. Hewes House
This East Lake Victorian home, built i 1897, was the home of Harry Bertram Hewes until his death in 1953. Hewes, descendant of one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, was a founder and co~owner of Jeanerette Lumber and Shingle Co., . . . — Map (db m86599) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Jeanerette — Nicholas Provôt
"The Father of Jeanerette." Buried here September 12, 1816. One of the area’s first landowners. Town of Jeanerette grew up on site of his plantation. His descendants have been prominent in local history. — Map (db m86628) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Jeanerette — St. John The Evangelist Church Parish
Founded 12 January 1879 by Napoleon J. Perche, Archbishop of New Orleans. The present church was built in 1908, Rev. M. Brady, pastor, August 1885 - June 1928. — Map (db m86664) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Lydia — Olivier Plantation
After starting business in 1898, Jules Olivier built this store in 1908 to serve his growing plantation. Mr. Olivier was commissioned the community's first postmaster in 1898 and his store housed the first Lydia post office until the arrival of . . . — Map (db m85052) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Félicité
A black woman, native of Haiti. During the yellow fever epidemic here in 1839, she nursed the sick, administered to the dying, closed the eyes of the dead, and wept over their graves. Loved and honored by townspeople for the remainder of her life, . . . — Map (db m85048) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — First Rock Salt Mine
Salt evaporated from brine springs on Avery Island since 1791. On May 4, 1862, workmen enlarging these springs to produce more salt for the Confederacy hit solid salt at a depth of 16 feet. Mining operations, the first of this type in North America, . . . — Map (db m71628) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Frédéric Henri Duperier
A native of Philadelphia whose family refugeed from Haiti, he settled here in 1816. In 1825 he married Hortense Bérard and purchased land here. A merchant and planter. he and his wife donated in 1837 the land upon which the Catholic church was . . . — Map (db m93351) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Frederick Larned Gates
Former home of Frederick Larned Gates (1827-1897), outstanding citizen, businessman, lawyer and Civil War Veteran. He served as district judge in the 1870s and 1880s. As an early industrialist, Gates developed a cotton seed oil business which was . . . — Map (db m85047) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Lieutenant Colonel Francisco Bouligny1736-1800
In the spring of 1779, Bouligny acting on order of Governor Bernardo de Galvez, led about 60 Spanish settlers to this site, marking the founding of New Iberia. To commemorate that event, the schoolchildren of New Iberia and the American Revolution . . . — Map (db m86913) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Mt. Carmel Academy
An educational institution for girls established in 1872 by the Sisters of Mt. Carmel. The order was founded in 1825 in Tours, France. The old building which is nearest Bayou Teche was constructed by Henry F. Duperier in 1826. — Map (db m49066) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — New Iberia
Early in 1779 Governor Galvez sent Lieutenant Colonel Francisco Bouligny with nearly five hundred Spanish and Canary Island Colonists to establish a settlement on the lower Bayou Teche in the Attakapas Country. These Spanish Colonists named their . . . — Map (db m85049) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Shadows-On-The-Teche
Shadows-On -The-Teche Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1975 National Park Service United States . . . — Map (db m87097) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — St. Peter's Cemetery
Established Mar. 24, 1838. Interred here are F.H. Duperier, incorporator of New Iberia, U.S. Senators Robert & Edwin Broussard, Lt. Gov. Emile Verret, James Beddell, designer of "The Shadows," & other prominent individuals. — Map (db m85276) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Dreyfus BuildingCirca 1880
In the late nineteenth century, the Dreyfus building functioned as a large wholesale grocery. The original brick structure dates back to the period just after the great fire of 1870. In late 1929, it was partitioned to create two buildings. The . . . — Map (db m86987) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Episcopal Church Of The Epiphany
Built in 1858 on land donated by Harvey Hopkins. Consecrated May 16, 1858 by the Rt. Rev. Leonidas Polk, first Episcopal Bishop of Louisiana. This Gothic Revival structure is the oldest non-residential building in New Iberia. During the war Between . . . — Map (db m86911) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Erath BuildingCirca 1884
August Erath, born in Morat, Switzerland, in 1843 came to Louisiana in 1866 married Catherine Becht, and moved to New Iberia in 1876. Erath was a brewer by trade and practiced his art here for a few years. In 1884, he commissioned the construction . . . — Map (db m87039) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Great FireCirca 1899
About 6:00 PM, October 10, 1899, fire started in a warehouse just east of here. Within minutes, the surrounding buildings were ablaze. The entire square, from Julia to Iberia Streets and from Main to St. Peter Streets burned before midnight. Only . . . — Map (db m87040) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Murray BuildingCirca 1900
Owned by the Fitzhugh Murray family for most of the 20th century, this building was occupied and leased by several buisnesses, including Deblanc and Landry Grocery, Tibby-Rouse Auto Parts, Berard Brothers Towing Company and Nick Fritella's Shoe . . . — Map (db m87042) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Steamboat EraCirca 1830-1943
Throughout much of the Nineteenth Century, New Iberia was the area terminus for water-borne traffic on Bayou Teche from North and East. Barges, schooners and smaller craft plied the Teche until the coming of the steamboat. In the fall of 1830, the . . . — Map (db m87096) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The United States Post Office - Circa 1903Le Bureau de Post / La Casa de Correos de los Estados Unidos
Although a United States Post Office was established in New Iberia in 1814, local postal facilities were housed in rented space throughout the 19th century. In march 1899, through the efforts of Congressman Robert Broussard of New Iberia, congress . . . — Map (db m87094) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Weeks' GroveCirca 1902
This building stands in what was known as "Weeks Grove" of Live Oak trees which extended from Bayou Teche southward for several blocks and which for years formed the eastern boundary of the town. About the turn of the century the "Weeks Grove" . . . — Map (db m87122) HM
Louisiana (Iberville Parish), Bayou Goula — A Civil War Soldier
West of this marker lies the grave site of a Union Soldier who was killed in a skirmish with Confederate soldiers at Bayou Goula on January 25,1865. His name is believed to be Private David Ingraham, Third Rhode Island Calvary, Company H. He was . . . — Map (db m91986) HM
Louisiana (Iberville Parish), Bayou Goula — Bayou Goula
Mugulasha Indian village captured by Bayougoulas. In 1699 Bienville here found Tonti's letter of 1686 to LaSalle. Father Paul Du Ru built first chapel in Louisiana near village in 1700. — Map (db m87252) HM
Louisiana (Iberville Parish), Bayou Goula — Iberville African-American Cemetery
A Memorial to Paulin Verret by his children in 1926. He was a free African-American wealthy planter in Bayou Goula prior to Civil War. Land donated was forty-eight feet wide and three arpents deep, for African-Americans of Iberville. — Map (db m91983) HM
Louisiana (Iberville Parish), Bayou Goula — St. Raphael Cemetery
In 1723 Raphael of Luxemburg came to establish Missions at French Posts and among Indians. Served as Vicar-General of Louisiana Colony under Bishop of Quebec. Built the first St. Louis parish church and Catholic School in N.O. Thus began the . . . — Map (db m85024) HM
Louisiana (Iberville Parish), Carville — Indian Camp Plantation
The plantation home, built in the 1850s, became the site of the Louisiana State Leprosarium in 1894. The U.S. Public Health Service acquired it in 1921. It is now known as the National Hansen's Disease Center. — Map (db m94327) HM
Louisiana (Iberville Parish), Plaquemine — Academy of Saint Basil
Built in 1847 by Dr. Edward Scratchley. Occupied as school by Marianite Sisters from 1859-1862 & 1865-1975. Occupied as Military Command by Union Army 1862-1865. Renovated by Lt. Governor and Mrs. Robert L. Freeman-1990 — Map (db m87254) HM
Louisiana (Iberville Parish), Plaquemine — Bayou Plaquemine
Le passage des Acadiens Pendant apres la de'portation de 1755 depuis le Canada jusqu'aux Attakapas de Sud-ouest. Passageway of Acadians after deportation of 1755 from Canada to the Southwest Attakapas. — Map (db m87228) HM
Louisiana (Iberville Parish), Plaquemine — Gary J. Hebert Memorial Lockhouse
Gary J. Hebert 1929-1994 Due to his vigilant and untiring efforts, this historic property still stands. Gary J. Hebert refused to back down despite a tremendous push for destruction of the lock to make way for a four-lane highway. After a two . . . — Map (db m86843) HM
Louisiana (Iberville Parish), Plaquemine — Morrisonville
On March 13, 1889, Rev. Robert Morrison established the Nazarene Baptist Church one and one half miles north of this site on Australia Point where the community of Morrisonville developed. Due to levee setbacks in 1921 residents relocated to . . . — Map (db m87258) HM
Louisiana (Iberville Parish), Plaquemine — Old City Hall
Iberville Parish Courthouse, 1848-1906; Plaquemine City Hall, 1906-85. Built by George and Thomas Weldon of Mississippi. One of Louisiana's oldest public buildings. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m86841) HM
Louisiana (Iberville Parish), St. Gabriel — Bayou Paul Colored School
Established by the United Sons and Daughters Benevolent Society, the Bayou Paul Colored School provided elementary education for African-American children in the Bayou Paul community and served as a meeting hall for the Society. The Society built . . . — Map (db m92741) HM
Louisiana (Iberville Parish), St. Gabriel — St - Gabriel(1761-1763)
Eglise de la côte d'Iberville construite en 1769 par les exilés acadiens. En 1773 elle etait sur le Manchac espagnol offert par ce gouvernment. Des colons allemands arriverent du Maryland en 1784. (English translation): Church on the . . . — Map (db m85716) HM
Louisiana (Iberville Parish), St. Gabriel — St. Gabriel Church
Acadian exiles arrived from Maryland in 1767 and were given Spanish land grants as was the church. The church was built by Louis LeConte a builder from Lafourche between November 1774 and July 1776 aided by the settlers. The Acadians brought and . . . — Map (db m84998) HM
Louisiana (Iberville Parish), St. Gabriel — The Old Saint Gabriel Church
In 1699 Pierre Lemoyne, Sieur D'Iberville, father of Louisiana, explored the Mississippi and its distributary the Ascantia, later called Bayou Manchac. By 1758 exiled Acadians had settled at Manchac. They soon built upstream this cypress church, . . . — Map (db m85675) HM
Louisiana (Iberville Parish), White Castle — Belle Grove Plantation
One of the grandest plantation mansions ever built in Louisiana, Belle Grove was built at the pinnacle of prosperity during the 1850's sugar boom in the South. Sixty-two feet in height, her thirty foot pillars were capped by solid cypress . . . — Map (db m87260) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Avondale — Avondale~Waggaman
Named for George Augustus Waggaman, prominent politician, planter and War of 1812 veteran. His plantation, Avondale, was built north of here in 1839. Home consumed by Miss. River in early 1900s. — Map (db m81061) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Elmwood — Wedell - Williams Airport Site
During 1930-42 this airport operated passenger, charter, and mail service and a flying school. The company of James R. Wedell and Harry P. Williams designed, built and flew some of the fastest planes in the world. Wedell set a world speed record in . . . — Map (db m93112) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Grand Isle — Cheniere Caminada Cemetery
Settled by indians,"Isle of the Chitamichas" was later owned by Francisco Caminada. Known as "Chico Isle", as "Chita", as Caminadaville. It was home to pirates, fishermen and farmers. On Oct. 1,1893, a fast moving, late season hurricane from the . . . — Map (db m62038) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Centennial Marker
On June, 4, 1884 members of the police jury of Jefferson Parish Right Bank: F.H. Hatch, Pres., Geo. Bossey • H. Eloi H. WIlkinson • L.H. Marrero W. M. Naudain • N. Le Bouef held their first meeting in this William Tell . . . — Map (db m81058) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — City of Gretna
Incorporated 20 August 1913. John Ehret, First Mayor. Seat of Jefferson Parish Government since 1884. German settlement laid out in 1836 by Benjamin Buisson for Nicholas Noel Destrehan as Village of Mechanikham. — Map (db m80973) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — David Crockett Firehall
This property David Crockett Firehall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m81060) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Derbigny Plantation
Home of Pierre A.C.B. Derbigny, 6th Governor of La., 1828~1829, member 1st La. Legislature, La. Secretary of State, La. Supreme Court Judge, Battle of N.O. veteran. 1820 operated 1st steam ferry on Miss. River at N.O. Died 1829 from a carriage . . . — Map (db m80975) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Gretna City HallCentennial 2007
Built in 1907 as the sixth Jefferson Parish Courthouse Annex added 1929 Dedicated Gretna City Hall 1964 National Register of Historic Places 1983 — Map (db m81107) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — McDonoghville
Founded 1815 by education philanthropist John McDonogh. Also known as Freetown where his freed slaves settled and Goulds~ boro for railroad magnate Jay Gould. Incorporated 1913 into City of Gretna. — Map (db m80976) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Mel Ott
Gretna's Native Son Mel Ott New York Giants 1926-1947 Baseball Hall of Fame 1951 — Map (db m81056) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Phoenix Iron Works
Approx. 200 feet SW of this site, cast first gun for the Confederate Navy on 4 May 1861. The gun, a Dalhgren cannon, fired an 8~inch diameter explosive shell. Sylvester Bennett was proprietor. — Map (db m81063) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Saint Joseph Church
Father T. Anwander, C.SS.R., with a group of laymen, organized the mother church of West Jefferson in 1857. Previously Redemptorists crossing the Mississippi from the city of Lafayette had served the German, Irish, French and . . . — Map (db m81135) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Harahan — City Of Harahan
Community est. 1914 by Illinois Central Railroad. Named for James Harahan, RR President, 1906-1911. Village incorporated 1920. City incorporated 1953. Francis William Mayo, first mayor, 1920-1922. — Map (db m93086) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Harahan — Tchoupitoulas Plantation
Site of plantation acquired in 1808 by Joseph Soniat du Fossat. Visited by Governor William C.C. Claiborne and, legend says, privateer Jean Lafitte. "Chapitoulas" Indians, whose name means "river people," lived in this area. — Map (db m93056) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Harvey — Harvey Castle Site
Built in 1844, Harvey Castle was the Gothic Revival home of Marie Louise Destrehan and her husband Joseph Hale Harvey. It served as the third courthouse of Jefferson Parish, 1874-1884. Located east side of Destrehan Avenue 450 feet north of . . . — Map (db m52725) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Harvey — The Harvey Canal
Originally Destrehan Canal, dug before 1845, connecting Mississippi River to Bayou Barataria. "Submarine Railway" lifted boats over the levee until successful completion of locks in 1907. Became part of Gulf Intracoastal Waterway in 1924. — Map (db m80971) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Jefferson — Camp Parapet
In 1862 Confederate and Louisiana authorities laid out Camp Parapet as a part of the defense lines of New Orleans. The works were designed to protect the city against an attack from the north. After the Federals, coming up from the south, captured . . . — Map (db m92004) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Jefferson — Camp ParapetRemains of Old Powder Magazine
Part of Civil War fortification which extended from the river northward about 1-3/4 miles past Metairie Rd. Construction began in 1861 by the Confederates and continued after the fall of New Orleans by Union forces which occupied the area with many . . . — Map (db m92005) HM

814 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 564
Paid Advertisement
Categories20th CenturyAbolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansAgricultureAir & SpaceAnimalsAntebellum South, USAnthropologyArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicAsian AmericansBridges & ViaductsCemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Civil RightsColonial EraCommunicationsDisastersEducationEntertainmentEnvironmentExplorationForts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentHeroesHispanic AmericansHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsLandmarksMan-Made FeaturesMilitaryNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPaleontologyPatriots & PatriotismPeacePolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersSportsWar of 1812War, 1st Iraq & Desert StormWar, 2nd IraqWar, AfghanistanWar, ColdWar, French and IndianWar, KoreanWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWar, VietnamWar, World IWar, World IIWars, Non-USWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
States or ProvincesAlabamaAlaskaAlbertaArizonaArkansasBritish ColumbiaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineManitobaMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew BrunswickNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNewfoundland and LabradorNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNova ScotiaOhioOklahomaOntarioOregonPennsylvaniaPrince Edward IslandPuerto RicoQuebecRhode IslandSaskatchewanSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingYukon Territory
CountriesArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBelgiumBelizeBrazilCanadaChinaCosta RicaCzech RepublicDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuyanaHondurasHungaryIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaKiribatiLiechtensteinLuxembourgMalaysiaMexicoNetherlands AntillesNew ZealandNicaraguaPalestinian TerritoriesPhilippinesRussiaSaint LuciaScotland, UKSingaporeSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSwedenSwitzerlandThailandTurkeyTurks and Caicos IslandsU.S Virgin IslandsUkraineUnited KingdomU.S.A.