Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Minnesota Historical Markers

887 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 637
Peat Marker (side 2) image, Click for more information
By Paul Fehrenbach, June 23, 2011
Peat Marker (side 2)
Minnesota (Aitkin County), McGregor — Glacial Lake Aitkin / Peat
(side 1) Glacial Lake Aitkin Two million years ago the first of four glaciers covered the surface of Minnesota. They were named for the limit of their southward expansion. The first was the Nebraskan, followed by the Kansan and the . . . — Map (db m43932) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Anoka — Bridging the Mississippi
The Mississippi River was an obstacle to overland travelers attempting to cross to the other side. From1855 to 1884 a flat bottomed cable ferry was maintained between Anoka and Champlin. For a time two ferry companies operated at this . . . — Map (db m70875) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Anoka — Circle of Life
The Dakota and Ojibwa people believed that the confluence of two great rivers was a sacred place. The Point was used as an encampment and gathering place for several tribes. It was also a meeting place to form hunting parties going north . . . — Map (db m70897) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Anoka — Fireman's Grove
Fireman's Grove is located here in the area just above the confluence of the Rum River. It was named for the firemen who pastured their horses at The Point. Fireman's Grove became a favorite gathering place for townspeople and visitors who . . . — Map (db m70973) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Anoka — Highway of Exploration
The Rum and the Mississippi were highways for the earliest recorded European explorers of Minnesota. Many explorers traveled past The Point and some may have camped here including Radission, Hennepin, Du Luth, Pike, Faribault and Nicollet. . . . — Map (db m70569) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Anoka — Logbooms Meet Sawmills
The white pine forests fell to the logger's ax in the northern Rum River pineries, "Seventy mills in seventy years could not exhaust the white pine I have seen on the Rum River" predicted Daniel Stanchfield, a lumber-wise timber cruiser . . . — Map (db m70937) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Anoka — Perseverance Needed
Struggles and hardship are expected in building a community, but Anoka may have had more than its share of disasters. Through each trial, the community rebounded and Anoka continues to be a vital, dynamic community. Anoka County was . . . — Map (db m70953) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Anoka — River Highways
The Rum and the Mississippi were river highways for the Dakota, the Ojibwa, European explorers, traders and settlers. Between 1850 and 1870 the Rum and the Mississippi became "working rivers" for lumbermen. In the fall loggers traveled . . . — Map (db m70914) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Anoka — Rum River Dam
The first dam was built here in 1853 of logs and earth fill by Caleb and W.H. Woodbury. It washed away in high water in the Spring of 1854. A second dam was built in 1854 by James McCann. This dam and its pool provided 5 sluiceways for water power . . . — Map (db m70264) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Anoka — The Gathering Place
The square of land on the east side of the Rum River just south of Main Street has been a place for Anoka citizens to gather since the town began in the mid-1800's. Known as Bridge Square, it was a place to share news, to hear speeches and . . . — Map (db m70586) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Anoka — The Stone House / Robert W. Akin
The Stone House Three stone houses were built during the 1920's by Thaddeus P. Giddings (1969-1954). Giddings was the Supervisor of Music for the Minneapolis Schools and founder of the National Music Camp in Interlachen, Michigan. The . . . — Map (db m70825) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Anoka — Where Cultures Meet
Native peoples and traders met at a trading post constructed across the Rum River from The Point in 1844 by Joseph Bellanger. The Ojibwa brought furs and skins to trade for copper cooking pots, cloth, blankets, decorative beads and iron . . . — Map (db m70921) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Anoka — Where Land and Water Meet
The Mississippi River forms a unique and complex ecosystem spanning 2000 miles. From its origin at Lake Itasca in Northern Minnesota to its outlet in the Gulf of Mexico the river encompasses a diversity of life found only in a very few places . . . — Map (db m70908) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Anoka — Why Settle Here? / Time to Play
Why Settle Here? Looking for Work Timber was a resource that drew many west and in 1847, surveyor Daniel Stanchfield noted, "Seventy mills in seventy years couldn't exhaust the white pine I have seen on the Rum River". The rivers . . . — Map (db m70982) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Coon Rapids — Coon Rapids Dam Regional ParkMississippi National River and Recreation Area-Partner Site — East Visitor Center
The Mighty Mississippi River One of the world’s great rivers, the Mississippi trickles from Minnesota’s Lake Itasca, gathering the waters of the nation’s heartland as it flows to the Gulf of Mexico. On its timeless journey, the river weaves . . . — Map (db m70952) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Ramsey — Ice Age Souvenir — Great River Road Minnesota
Twenty thousand years ago, a great sheet of ice, the Superior lobe, covered this area. At its farthest advance, it formed the St. Croix moraine, a series of high hills to the west, south, and east. When it melted, it left behind vast . . . — Map (db m70297) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Ramsey — AN-RMC-008 — Itasca Village Townsite
Itasca grew up around an Indian trading post which was established 800 feet east of here in 1849 by Thomas A. Holmes and James Beatty. At the suggestion of Territorial Governor Alexander Ramsey, the settlement was named in honor of Lake Itasca, the . . . — Map (db m69908) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), St. Francis — History of the Rum River
The Rum River, a 148 mile river of gradual grade, is rich in history. The French explored it. The Chippewa and Sioux fought along it, and the pine logs that helped build the cities of the Midwest were floated down it during the lumber boom of the . . . — Map (db m94721) HM
Minnesota (Becker County), Audubon — Cook Homestead
This plot marks the site of the home of John Cook, pioneer settler, who with his wife Diantha J., and children Freddie W., Mary E., and John W., were murdered by Indians April 26, 1872. — Map (db m60270) HM
Minnesota (Becker County), Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge — Old Government Road
This marker locates a part of the original trail which was cut out of the forest by the U.S. Army in 1868 to facilitate travel from Leech Lake to White Earth. Soldiers accompanied the paymasters along this road in the early days to provide . . . — Map (db m8537) HM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Lake Crystal — Lake Crystal and the Railroad
"Who says we cannot build railroads in the winter?" asked the Mankato Weekly Union on December 10, 1869, in an article announcing that the tracks of the St. Paul & Sioux City Railroad had reached the new town of Lake Crystal. The . . . — Map (db m67364) HM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Amos Owen Garden of American Indian Horticulture
Philosophy. Amos Owen was a Dakota elder and spiritual leader who wanted to preserve and restore traditional Dakota beliefs and practices. He believed that the suppression of Indian peoples had led to many parts of the culture being almost . . . — Map (db m21588) HM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Civil War Monument
In Honor of Union Veterans of the Civil War Erected by the City of Mankato for Alexander Wilkin Post No. 19 Department of Minnesota Grand Army of the Republic — Map (db m67086) WM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Dakota (Sioux) Memorial – 1862
The last act of the Minnesota Dakota (Sioux) War took place here in Mankato on December 26, 1862 when thirty-eight Dakota Indians died in a mass execution on this site. The Dakota War was a culmination of years of friction between Dakota and . . . — Map (db m14195) HM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Highland ParkMankato's "First" City Park
This area (Bunker Hill) once served as a Civil War recruitment center, but this was not the primary reason for its acquisition. The Mankato City Council purchased approximately 10.2 acres at 150 dollars an acre on October 15, 1874, with the . . . — Map (db m68276) HM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Ho-Chunk / Winnebago
Through treaty negotiations, the Ho-Chunk or Winnebago moved their homes to Blue Earth County in 1855, and by 1863 they were gone. Parts of what would become Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois had been their homeland for centuries. European explorers . . . — Map (db m14053) HM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Hubbard House
Rensselaer Dean Hubbard, successful entrepreneur and civic leader, built his house on Broad Street in three stages: in 1871, 1888 and 1905. During the late 19th century, many of Mankato’s captains of industry and commerce established their . . . — Map (db m66338) HM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Lincoln Park
The desire to honor the memory of Mankato's Civil War dead prompted a citizens' committee headed by John Ray to purchase the triangular parcel of land in the Warren's Addition, bordered by Broad, Lincoln and Grove streets, and dominated by a massive . . . — Map (db m66655) HM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Ott Cabin
Built in 1857 in Mankato Township and was moved to this site, which was once the site of the fur trading post of Henry H. Sibley by the Blue Earth County Historical Society in 1931. — Map (db m66845) HM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Sibley Park
On October 3, 1887 the City of Mankato purchased 120 acres for $13,088 at the confluence of the Blue Earth and Minnesota Rivers to create Mankato’s first park. Sibley Park was named for Henry Hastings Sibley (later Minnesota’s first Governor) who . . . — Map (db m66483) HM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Sibley Park World War I
On Flag Day in 1926, two German 105mm howitzer field guns were dedicated at this Sibley Park site as war trophies and memorials to the sacrifice made by those who served from Blue Earth County in the First World War. These artillery pieces were . . . — Map (db m66757) HM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Sinclair Lewis House
This brick home sheltered the renowned novelist Sinclair Lewis in 1919. A native of Minnesota, Lewis worked on the famed book, "Main Street," while residing here. Lewis was the first American to receive the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1930. — Map (db m66511) HM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — The First Mahkato Memorial Wacipi
This memorial is to honor those Dakota who created the First Mahkato Wacipi in 1972. The Wacipi is to remember the thirty-eight Dakota executed in Mankato in 1862 and to create a spirit of reconciliation between the people of Mankato and . . . — Map (db m17506) HM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — The Lorin & Lulu Cray Home
The Lorin & Lulu Cray Home was given to the Young Women's Christian Association for the women and girls of Mankato and vicinity by Judge and Mrs. Lorin Cray 1927 This property has been placed on the National Register . . . — Map (db m66783) HM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Washington Park / Fourth Street Route Depot Grounds
Washington Park During the summer of 1868, the Minnesota Valley Railway Company contracted more than 500 people to grade and lay ties and tracks from Kasota to Mankato, reaching Mankato October 3, 1868. The mainline was known as the . . . — Map (db m66635) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Cobden — Cobden
Cobden is a railway village in Prairieville Township. It was originally named North Branch because of its location near Sleepy Eye Creek, the principal north branch of the Cottonwood River. In 1886 its name was changed to Cobden for the English . . . — Map (db m69835) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Courtland — The Evacuation of New Ulm
When the Second Battle of New Ulm ended on the morning of August 24, 1862, the city lay nearly in ruins. Fearing that it would surely fall if attacked again, Colonel Charles Flandrau ordered the entire city to evacuate. The next day . . . — Map (db m73792) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Essig — Essig, Minnesota
On April 8, 1885 Chief Engineer Blunt of the Winona & St. Peter Railroad Co. announced that the railroad had decided to build a side track between New Ulm and Sleepy Eye for the purpose of receiving grain. The site was known only as "Siding Number . . . — Map (db m67411) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Essig — Junior Pioneers TabletMilford Monument
This tablet was erected by the Junior Pioneers in memory of the following men, women and children of the town of Milford who were massacred by the Indians during the Indian outbreak in 1862. John Martin Fink. • Monika Fink, his wife. • Max . . . — Map (db m67952) WM
Minnesota (Brown County), Essig — 21 — Milford State Monument
Erected by the State of Minnesota in 1929 in the memory of the men, women and children of Milford who were massacred by the Indians, Aug. 18, 1862. John M. Fink • Monika Fink • Max Fink • Carl Merkle • John B. Zettel • Barbara . . . — Map (db m67951) WM
Minnesota (Brown County), Essig — Taken by Surprise
In the summer of 1862, after years of broken treaty promises and late payments that fueled growing tensions and conflict, some Dakota began an attempt to forcibly reclaim their homeland. After attacking the Redwood (Lower Sioux) Agency . . . — Map (db m67915) HM WM
Minnesota (Brown County), Evan — Evan
On May 24, 1887 Nels Hanson platted the small railroad station point in section 8 of Prairieville township as "Hanson Station". A post office had been established in 1886 named Evan by the first postmaster, Martin Norseth, in honor of Hanson's wife . . . — Map (db m69831) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Hanska — Asle Sorbel's Ride
In 1854 Ole and Guri Sorbel immigrated to Rock County Wisconsin from Hallingdal, Norway. In 1856 they settled to your right on the northwest bank of Lake Linden. On September 21, 1876, Bob, Cole and Jim Younger and Charlie Pitts received breakfast . . . — Map (db m68073) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Hanska — Hanska1901 • 2001
In 1899, the Iowa and Minnesota Land & Townsite Company circulated a petition to locate a railroad station in Lake Hanska Township. The petition was signed by 77 people and on October 9, 1899 the village of Hanska was platted in section 24 by Harry . . . — Map (db m66468) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Hanska — John Armstrong
This memorial is dedicated to the memory of John Armstrong pioneer of Linden Township, in 1857 he represented this part of Brown County as its first Territorial County Supervisor (Commissioner) and later became Linden Township's first . . . — Map (db m68083) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Hanska — Lake Hanska
The Sioux Indians called this lake "minne hanska," meaning "long water." The basin of the lake was formed 11,000 to 15,000 years ago by the Wisconsin glacier; the original hard clay bottom is now about 50 feet below the present surface of the . . . — Map (db m66454) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Hanska — Lake Hanska Pioneer / Lake Hanska County ParkA Tribute to Ole Synsteby 1856 – 1942
Lake Hanska Pioneer A Tribute to Ole Synsteby 1856 - 1942      Ole Synsteby was born in Lesja, Gulbrandsdalen, Norway. In the summer of 1873, the Synsteby family migrated to the Lake Hanska area. In 1879 Ole purchased the land which is now . . . — Map (db m79934) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Hanska — Norwegian Stabbur
This structure is a replica of many such stabburs found in Norway. There are several variations. "Stabbur" translated means store house. Benefactors: James & Ferdi Amundson estate. These Lake Hanska farmers were descendants of Norwegian . . . — Map (db m68264) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Hanska — Omsrud Thordson – Torgrimson Log Cabin
This log cabin was built about 1857 by the Omsrud/Thordson and Torgrimson families, immigrants from Valdres, Norway. It originally stood on the Thord Omsrud farm on the shores of Omsrud Lake. The cabin was moved to this site in 1986 by the . . . — Map (db m66437) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Hanska — World War Memorial
1917 • 1918 That freedom, law and justice might be established thruout the Earth This monument is erected in honor of the men of Hanska and vicinity who answered their country's call in the World War. Oscar O. Haugen • John Thordson . . . — Map (db m68256) WM
Minnesota (Brown County), Leavenworth — Jackson Crossing
About 5 blocks north of this marker was the location of a very important river crossing for the early settlers of this area, going from the "Shetek Trail" on the south to "Old Leavenworth" and New Ulm on the north side of the Cottonwood . . . — Map (db m67709) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Leavenworth — Leavenworth
In 1857, settlers platted a townsite in Section 14 of the Leavenworth area. During the next year, Dr. J. B. Calkins established the post office and became its first postmaster. Leavenworth Township was legally organized on April 16, 1859. Seven . . . — Map (db m68025) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Leavenworth — The Attack on the Brown Family
The Joseph Brown family with son Jonathan and daughter Oratia were early settlers on a farm five miles west of here along the Shetek Trail. The family fed and over-nighted guests, operating their home as a traveler's inn. Upon hearing news of Dakota . . . — Map (db m67825) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — 2011 Centennial of The Church of St. Mary
  The Church of St. Mary was incorporated on September 26, 1911 by Archbishop John Ireland of St. Paul. The Parish included Catholics living south of Center Street in New Ulm, plus Cottonwood and Courtland Townships. Because of difficult economic . . . — Map (db m74048) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Adams Park
Christian Adam(s) was born circa 1812 in Prussia. He sailed from LeHavre, France aboard the ship Pactolus which arrived in New York City October 12, 1846. The passenger manifest listed his occupation as farmer. Petronella Keller Adam(s) was . . . — Map (db m73759) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Arbeiter Hall1873 — Historic Downtown New Ulm
The town gained a new venue for public events in 1873 with the opening of Arbeiter Hall. The local Arbeiterverein, or Workers' Association, organized in 1871, primarily as a workers' insurance association. The two-story brick building had a . . . — Map (db m67093) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Barricading New UlmHistoric Downtown New Ulm
Following the outbreak of hostilities between the Dakota and white settlers on August 18, 1862, hundreds of people fled from nearby farms to New Ulm for safety. Quickly, Brown County Sherriff Charles Roos and Jacob Nix, a citizen with German . . . — Map (db m73140) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Boesch, Hummel, and Maltzahn Block
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m73329) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Brown County150 Years — 1856 • 2006
Brown County, an historic gateway on the Minnesota River, opened the fertile prairie lands of the Great Plains to the northern hardwoods of a continental divide. The U.S. Territorial Legislature organized the county in 1856 from lands ceded by the . . . — Map (db m66749) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Brown County Bank1871 — Historic Downtown New Ulm
The Brown County Bank is among the oldest commercial properties within the district. As the local economy recovered from the devastating effects of the Dakota Conflict, the city found itself without a bank following the demise of the First . . . — Map (db m66879) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Brown County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to All Brown County Veterans This memorial is a lasting tribute to past, present and future veterans who served during peacetime and the following conflicts: Indian Wars 1817 - 1898 · Mexican War 1846 - 1848 · American Civil War . . . — Map (db m65526) WM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Buenger Store1892, 1902 — Historic Downtown New Ulm
This three-story building is a fine example of Queen Anne commercial architecture. The original southern section was erected in 1892 for the Buenger Furniture Store, while the corner building was constructed in 1902. Louis Buenger Sr. . . . — Map (db m68117) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — City Meat Market1927 — Historic Downtown New Ulm
Rosa Schnobrich opened the City Meat Market in 1907 with the advertising slogan, "Better Meats, Cleaner Meats, and Quicker Service." Her sausages, in particular, proved popular, and soon her shop began supplying a network of wholesale dealers . . . — Map (db m68267) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Clear Lake School1864–1971
1864 marked the beginning of District 6 (later known as 179), Sigel township's first of four school districts. The first schoolhouse was built on this site in 1868 with the purchase of 1 acre of land for $10. Civil War general Franz Sigel visited . . . — Map (db m74233) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Colonel Wilhelm Pfaender
Colonel Wilhelm Pfaender (1826-1905), born in Heilbronn, Wurttemberg, Germany, came to America as a result of the 1848 Revolution. In Germany he helped found the Turner Societies in his birth-city of Heilbronn and in Ulm. In Cincinnati, Ohio, he . . . — Map (db m73673) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Crone Store1869, 1876 — Historic Downtown New Ulm
For years, the Crone store was the largest mercantile establishment in New Ulm. In 1857, Theodore Crone Sr. opened his general store at the corner of Broadway and Center Streets. Twelve years later, he erected this building, adding a . . . — Map (db m66864) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Dacotah House1859 • 1971
Helena Erd Seiter • Adolph Seiter The Dacotah House, located on this site, was built in 1859 by Adolph Seiter and Frank Erd. Adolph's wife, Helena Erd Seiter soon established her fame in the kitchen. During the Dakota Conflict of 1862, Helena . . . — Map (db m66377) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — 5 — Defenders State Monument
This monument is erected by the State of Minnesota to commemorate the battles and incidents of the Sioux Indian War of 1862, which particularly relate to the town of New Ulm. 1890. Honored be the memory of the citizens of Blue Earth, Nicollet, . . . — Map (db m66990) HM WM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Doughboy Monument
Lest we forget. In sacred memory of the soldiers, sailors, and marines who served their country in time of war. Erected in 1941 by Veterans of Foreign Wars U.S.A. Albert Nagel Post No 1648 and Auxiliary. — Map (db m68739) WM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Erd Building1861 — Historic Downtown New Ulm
Frank Erd and his wife, Louise, came to New Ulm from Cincinnati. Frank, whose father was an architect, erected a substantial store, one of the few brick buildings in the city. The Brown County supervisors kept their offices in Erd's building, . . . — Map (db m66897) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Father Valentine SommereisenPioneer Missionary Priest
Valentine Sommereisen was the first resident Catholic priest in three large areas of the American West: southwestern Minnesota, the Dakota Territory, and western Kansas. Born 28 May 1829 in Rouffach, Alsace, a German–speaking part of eastern . . . — Map (db m74222) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Flandrau's Charge
The second battle of New Ulm took place on August 23, 1862. About 650 Dakota Indians surrounded the town, while over 2,000 people were crowded behind a barricade. The attack began around nine in the morning and the Dakota Indians quickly encircled . . . — Map (db m66402) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Forster Building1861 — Historic Downtown New Ulm
Frederick Forster came to the United States in 1850 and taught school in New York. He moved to New Ulm in 1858, where he continued teaching, becoming the city's postmaster in 1861. In 1860, Forster purchased this lot and the following . . . — Map (db m68227) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Gänseviertel (Goosetown)
Goosetown began forming around the flour mills, brewery, and railroad tracks circa 1870. Settlers were largely German-Bohemian Catholics of peasant stock who farmed and worked in nearby industries. Inhabitants kept geese which were free to roam, . . . — Map (db m58435) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — German–Bohemian Immigrants Monument
This monument was erected in 1991 by the German-Bohemian Heritage Society to commemorate the immigrants to this region from the German speaking western rim of present-day Czechoslovakia. They emigrated from the counties of Bischofteinitz, Mies and . . . — Map (db m67030) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Grand Hotel
The first structure built on this site was the Minnesota Haus, the first hotel in New Ulm, built in 1856 by Phillipp H. Gross. That early structure was destroyed and in 1860, on the same sight, Gross built the Union Hotel, a two and a half story . . . — Map (db m67981) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Guardians of the Past
By the end of the fighting in New Ulm, the U.S.—Dakota War of 1862 had taken a heavy toll on the town. More than 50 settlers had been killed and 36 wounded, along with an unknown number of Dakota. In addition, at least 190 of the . . . — Map (db m74136) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Harkin Store
West Newton in 1870 was a thriving town, serving riverboat travel on the Minnesota River. It consisted of a hotel, a livery stable, a brewery, a sawmill, a wagon works, two blacksmith shops, three saloons, and many dwellings that made the town an . . . — Map (db m66238) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Hermann Monument(Hermann Denkmal)
Hermann (Arminius) of the Cherusci tribe led several German tribes in battle against their Roman conquerors in 9 A.D., and defeated them in the hills of Teutoburg Forest near present Detmold. To later unified Germany, Hermann . . . — Map (db m65467) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — In Recognition of a Distinguished Career as a Player and Coach
   Stan Wilfahrt – an outstanding player for New Ulm's 1941 State Legion Champs & 1943 Brewers State Amateur Champions. He coached baseball at Cathedral High School for 1957-1978 with a 246-68 (.783) record. His teams appeared in nine state . . . — Map (db m79894) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — In Recognition of a Minnesota Coaching RecordMay 28, 1994
   On this date at Chaska, Minnesota, New Ulm High School coach James Senske recored his 510th coaching victory, a new Minnesota State High School League baseball record for wins by a coach. At the completion of the 1994 season, . . . — Map (db m79913) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Jacob Nix PlatzTo a Patriot, Solider, Public Servant
Jacob Nix from Bingen Am Rhein in Germany was a key figure in the defense of New Ulm in 1862. Born in 1822, Nix early joined the push for a united Germany under a republican form of government. During the ill-fated 1848 Revolution, Nix served as . . . — Map (db m65455) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — John Lind Home
This home was built by John Lind in 1887 and was a significant cultural, social and political center built on a prominence above early New Ulm. Swedish born Lind came to America and Minnesota in 1867 at age thirteen. While very young he was a rural . . . — Map (db m65399) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Joseph A. Harman1900 – 1979 — Father of the New Ulm Park and Recreation Program
The quality of life in New Ulm improved notably after a young teacher-coach accepted a position at New Ulm High School in 1928. During the succeeding 51 years, "Joe" Harman provided the inspiration that left this community a better place in which to . . . — Map (db m66381) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Junior Pioneers of New Ulm and Vicinity
In the early 1870's, fourteen settlers purchased this beautiful spot located on the north bank of the Big Cottonwood River and named it Jägers Ruhe (Hunters' Rest). The objectives of this group of hunters was to preserve this property for their . . . — Map (db m66087) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Kiesling House(1861)
The Kiesling House is one of the three downtown buildings in New Ulm to survive the Dakota War of 1862. Frederick W. Kiesling, blacksmith and ferrier, had built the modest frame house ($125) the year before the outbreak of the war. In August of 1862 . . . — Map (db m65497) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Leavenworth Rescue Expedition
During the Minnesota Sioux Uprising of 1862, eighteen men left New Ulm early on the morning of August 19, and travelled westward about 20 miles along the Big Cottonwood River to the area of Leavenworth. Searching for relatives and friends, they . . . — Map (db m65486) HM WM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Lest We Forget
In 1914, two four-inch naval cannon barrels, each with a pyramid of balls, were placed on the courthouse grounds as a tribute to all Brown County citizens who served their nation in time of conflict. The United States Government reclaimed them in . . . — Map (db m66967) HM WM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — New Ulm
In 1851, leaders of the Dakota Nation signed the Treaty of Traverse des Sioux with the United States Government. This treaty opened new lands in Minnesota Territory for settlement. Two years later, German immigrants in Chicago, led by Frederick . . . — Map (db m65452) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — New Ulm's Glockenspiel
Schonlau Park, named in honor of Theodore H. and Clara K. Schonlau, is the setting for the City of New Ulm’s unique Glockenspiel. Local contributors were joined by donors from three foreign countries, 31 States, and 51 other Minnesota cities, in . . . — Map (db m65492) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Pioneer Founders of New Ulm
Frederick Beinhorn and Wilhelm Pfaender, pioneer founders of the prairie colony of New Ulm, were cut of the same cloth. Both came to America from Germany after the 1848 Revolution in Central Europe failed to unite German peoples under a new frame of . . . — Map (db m65694) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Pioneer MonumentCivil War Monument
east side In memory of our honored brave who fell in defence of The Union. north side In memory of those who fell in defence of New Ulm 1862. west side In memory of those massacred by the Indians in Brown Co. . . . — Map (db m68705) WM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Ravine Ambush
While crossing this ravine a recruiting party of the Civil War was ambushed by the Sioux Indians on August 18th, 1862, at the noon hour. The following were killed or mortally wounded: John Schneider • Ernest Dietrich . . . — Map (db m73704) HM WM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Roebbecke Mill
On this site in 1859 Frederick Roebbecke built a seventy foot high wooden windmill for grinding corn and grain. Situated on a prominent ridge, it commanded an excellent view of the scattered settlement. Barricaded with sacks of flour and grain, the . . . — Map (db m65400) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Somsen Hitching Post
The home of Henry N. Somsen, Sr. was once located on this site. Visitors would tie their horses to this hitching post. Given by Anne & Henry N. Somsen, Jr., generous supporters of the New Ulm Public Library. October 16, 1985 — Map (db m66706) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — The Pioneers of Brown County Monument1849 • 1949
  To pay homage to the sturdy pioneers who founded the territory of Minnesota a century ago. And to express veneration for the pioneers of Brown County and members of their families who lost their lives during the Sioux War of 1862 — 1863. . . . — Map (db m73642) HM WM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — The Wallachei
This neighborhood dates back to the early days of New Ulm. Oral history suggests the borders shown above. The origin of the name “The Wallachei” is obscure. The most likely translation is “low land horse pasture.” Or, legend . . . — Map (db m65396) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Turner Hall
The Turner concept of developing a sound mind and body through discussion of common problems and physical exercise was conceived by Frederick Jahn of Berlin in 1811. It was an effort to strengthen German resolve against the French conqueror, . . . — Map (db m65426) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Turnverein Founding Site
Von hier 717 fuss in der Richtung des Pfeils wurde am 11ten November 1856 der New Ulmer Turnverein gegruendet. (From here, 717 feet in the direction of the arrow on the 11th of November 1856 the New Ulm Turnverein . . . — Map (db m66239) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Two Battles of New Ulm
The first news of the Sioux Uprising was brought to New Ulm at noon on August 18, 1862, by survivors of a Civil War recruiting party that had been ambushed in Milford Township. Barricades were hastily erected in a three-block area on Minnesota . . . — Map (db m65402) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — U.S. - Dakota War Memorial
In Memory of All Who Suffered U.S. - Dakota War of 1862 2012 — Map (db m68348) WM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — U.S. Post Office1910 — Historic Downtown New Ulm
The federal government erected the post office building in 1910, designed by James Knox Taylor, the supervising architect of the United States Treasury. Although the city's postal service began in 1856, it had been located in rented space . . . — Map (db m74074) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Upper Minnesota River Transportation
The first river steamboat, WEST NEWTON, passed by here in 1853 going upriver with troops to lay out the site of Fort Ridgely. Two days later TIGER and CLARION followed with men and supplies. For the . . . — Map (db m66383) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Searles — Cottonwood Twp. Evangelical Church and Cemetery
     In 1857, Rev. August Huelster held the first Evangelical church service at the home of Charles Lauer in Cottonwood Township. In 1865, two acres of land were purchased in Cottonwood Township by John Mohr, Philip Pfisterer & Carl Schreyer, . . . — Map (db m78463) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Searles — Searles
Searles, a small community in Section 21 of Cottonwood Township, was platted on October 10, 1899, by Harry and Anna Jenkins. It was a railroad station point named by officials of the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railroad. The original plat . . . — Map (db m67914) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Sleepy Eye — Chief Sleepy Eyes(Ish-tak-ha-ba)
Sleepy Eyes, or Drooping Eyelids, was born about 1780 in a Sisseton Sioux Indian village at Swan Lake in Nicollet County. The Bureau of Indian Affairs commissioned him a chief in 1824. His fame was achieved not as a warrior or hunter but as a friend . . . — Map (db m67658) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Sleepy Eye — Dakota Reservation and the Leavenworth Road
In the summer of 1851 the Dakota Indians, a group of Native Americans who lived in Southern Minnesota, sold their land, 35 million acres, to the United States for $3,000,000. The Dakota agreed to move to a reservation which included land ten miles . . . — Map (db m67983) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Sleepy Eye — Golden Gate
    The village of Golden Gate occupied this area for some years. The town took its name from the U.S. Post Office established in 1868 with Ebenezer Fuller in charge.     Construction of a water-powered grist mill on Spring Creek in 1869 by . . . — Map (db m70993) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Sleepy Eye — Golden Gate Mill StonesMillstones of Golden Gate, Minnesota
The mill, built in 1867 by John Heimerdinger, was down 1/4 mile from Golden Gate on the Ruhe-Heim Creek. It was powered by a pond kept full by many wells, dug by hand. Wheat was ground by stones into flour and feed. The grinding stones were . . . — Map (db m71062) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Sleepy Eye — Iberia
In 1866 the budding village of Iberia had a log school house, four frame buildings and a cemetery. The settlement is the center of Stark Township, organized in 1866. Iberia crossroads was named for a community in Ohio because many of the first . . . — Map (db m73752) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Sleepy Eye — Veterans Memorial
In honor of the Brave Service Men & Women who have defended and continue to defend the United States of America. Sons of John & Mary Broich Chris USNR, Art USNR, Walter USAF, Joseph . . . — Map (db m67856) WM
Minnesota (Brown County), Springfield — Jonathan Brown and the Shetek Trail
In the 1850s there was a land boom in southern Minnesota. Jonathan Brown, 37 years old, filed on land along the Cottonwood River in what is now Burnstown Township. (S 1/2 of SW 1/4, Sec. 15; N 1/2 of NW 1/4 of Sec. 22) Jonathan picked a good . . . — Map (db m67820) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Springfield — Springfield, Minnesota
John and Daniel Burns were pioneer settlers in this area of brown County. Burnstown Township was named in their honor. Railroad construction advanced westward and the name of the station stop here in 1873 was "Burns." A small settlement . . . — Map (db m67542) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Springfield — Veterans Memorial
In grateful tribute to all men and women of this area who have or will serve in defense of our country. — Map (db m68206) WM
Minnesota (Brown County), Springfield — Veterans Memorial
Proudly, we salute our veterans and pledge eternal gratitude for their sacrifices and gallant preservation of freedom for all. seals of the United States Army • Air Force • Navy • Marine Corps • Coast Guard Dedicated July 4, 1994 . . . — Map (db m71172) WM
Minnesota (Carlton County), Carlton — Geology of MinnesotaJay Cooke State Park
     This point overlooks the St. Louis River Valley. The steeply inclined rocks in the river channel upstream are alternating beds of slates and graywackers of the Thompson Formation thousands of feet thick. . . . — Map (db m44627) HM
Minnesota (Carlton County), Carlton — Henry C. Hornby
540 acres of land southwest of this point, embracing Silver Creek in Jay Cooke State Park are dedicated to the memory of this pioneer civic leader who made great contributions to the establishment and development of this park. Lands donated by . . . — Map (db m53599) HM
Minnesota (Carlton County), Carlton — Josiah B. Scovell
One half mile south of this point lie three islands, known as numbers 1, 2, & 3, in the St. Louis River, which were settled by Josiah Boardman Scovell, original U.S. patentee in 1881, who retained ownership for the balance of his life. Islands . . . — Map (db m53857) HM
Minnesota (Carlton County), Kettle River — 1872
In memory of the Finnish pioneers who arrived here in the western part of Carlton County in 1872 and thereafter, and made their homes with courage and perseverance. Erected 1952 by Minnesota Finnish American Historical Society Chapter No. . . . — Map (db m3266) HM
Minnesota (Carlton County), Kettle River — The 1918 Fire
On October 12, 1918, a massive forest fire raced through northeastern Minnesota from Sturgeon Lake to the shores of Lake Superior north of Duluth. When it was over, this region had suffered through one of Minnesota’s worst disasters. Weather . . . — Map (db m3031) HM
Minnesota (Carlton County), Mahtowa — The Iron Range
One hundred miles north and west of Duluth lies the Iron Range. North America's largest iron ore region consists of three major iron ranges: the Vermillion, the Mesabi, and the Cuyuna. The Vermillion was the first to ship iron ore from Minnesota . . . — Map (db m44038) HM
Minnesota (Carver County), Carver — Church by-the River, Presbyterian Church
Carver Historic District has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Church by-the River, Presbyterian Church 1913 — Map (db m79234) HM
Minnesota (Carver County), Carver — Funk Hardware Store
Carver Historic District has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Funk Hardware Store ca. 1880 — Map (db m79278) HM
Minnesota (Carver County), Carver — Minnesota Valley Oil Co.1925
Carver Historic District has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Minnesota Valley Oil Co. 1925 — Map (db m75255) HM
Minnesota (Carver County), Carver — Stephen Kult Clothing Store
Carver Historic District has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Stephen Kult Clothing Store 1871 — Map (db m79125) HM
Minnesota (Carver County), Carver — Trinity Lutheran Church
Carver Historic District has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Trinity Lutheran Church 1914 — Map (db m79158) HM
Minnesota (Carver County), Carver — Van De Veire Knoll
Last Homesteaded 1986 Larry & Betty Van De Veire — Map (db m79203) HM
Minnesota (Carver County), Chaska — Brinkhaus Livery Stable
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Brinkhaus Livery Stable 1890 — Map (db m59555) HM
Minnesota (Carver County), Chaska — City Square Park
City Square Park City Square in Chaska has always been a gathering place and the heart of this community. The land was set aside for public purpose in 1852 in the original plat. Early settlers in Chaska found six earthen mounds on this . . . — Map (db m63707) HM
Minnesota (Carver County), Chaska — Jonathan in Chaska
This silo marks the site of the Christian Bender farm, homesteaded in 1854. George Bender, grandson of Christian, sold the farm to Henry McKnight in 1963. This was the first farm to become part of Jonathan.                 Dedicated . . . — Map (db m60394) HM
Minnesota (Carver County), Chaska — CR-CKC-057 — Little Rapids Fur Post
By 1804 Jean B. Faribault was trading in furs for the Northwest Company near the "Little Rapids" of the Minnesota River, 5 miles south of this point, and in this vicinity. His fur post of 1824 on the site of Chaska became the nucleus for the first . . . — Map (db m41051) HM
Minnesota (Carver County), East Union — Service Roll
Dedicated by the Luther League to the honor of the men from the East Union Evangelical Lutheran Church who took part in the World War 1914-1918.

George W. Lundquist • Clarence A. Ekström • Wilhard E. Olander • Henry R. Nord • J. Elmer . . . — Map (db m94398) WM

Minnesota (Carver County), Waconia — Civil War Monument
To the Memory of the Defenders of the Union, 1861 to 1865. Erected by the Citizens of Carver County in 1892. F. Anthony, S.M. Alexander, Ch. All, A. Arneson, L. Anderson, C.F. Anderson, S. Anderson, A.G. Anderson, J. Anderson, . . . — Map (db m71715) WM
Minnesota (Carver County), Waconia — Veterans Memorial
World War II Poland - Battle of the Atlantic - Pearl Harbor - Bataan - Corregidor - Coral Sea - Midway - Guadalcanal - North Africa - Bismarck Sea - Salerno - Tarawa - Kwajalein - Normandy - Southern France - The . . . — Map (db m72282) WM
Minnesota (Carver County), Waconia — World War I Monument
Erected in Memory of Those Who Served During the World War 1914 —— 1918 Allmann Andrew • Bade Ed. • Bade Henry • Beck Walter • Beiersdorf O.H. • Boettcher Otto • Boehmke Herb • Brandenburg Henry . . . — Map (db m71520) WM
Minnesota (Cass County), Whipholt — Sugar Point Battle
When a federal marshal with about 100 troops of the 3rd Infantry tried to arrest the Chippewa Chief Bugonaygeshig at Sugar Point opposite here on the northeast shore of the lake, a sharp fight occurred October 5, 1898. The whites lost 7 killed and . . . — Map (db m59807) HM
Minnesota (Chippewa County), Granite Falls — A Witness to Time
The Minnesota River Valley is a witness to time. Rocks formed 3.8 billion years ago — some of the oldest in the world — lie exposed on the valley floor. These grey, pink and red granite rocks are memorials to a fiery young earth when . . . — Map (db m69039) HM
Minnesota (Chisago County), Harris — Minnesota's Arrowhead Region: A Tourist Mecca
"The North Country is a siren Who can resist her song of intricate and rich counterpoint?" (Grace Lee Nute, The Voyageur's Highway, 1941) Lured by America's premier wilderness canoe region, Lake Superior's rugged shoreline and . . . — Map (db m4948) HM
Minnesota (Chisago County), Taylors Falls — Chisago Hotel1852
Stephen A. Douglas "Little Giant" spoke from this hotel balcony 1854 — Map (db m78665) HM
Minnesota (Chisago County), Taylors Falls — Folsom House
William Henry Carmen Folsom, St. Croix River Valley lumberman and land speculator, chose this imposing site for his home in 1854. He, his wife Mary Jane, and their two small sons lived in an open barn on this property to prove up the claim while the . . . — Map (db m44027) HM
Minnesota (Chisago County), Taylors Falls — Geology of the Taylors Falls Region
About 1.1 billion years ago, a great rift valley formed across the North American continent from the Lake Superior region southwest to Kansas. As this rift valley opened, basaltic lavas erupted into it, accumulating to a thickness of up to 20 . . . — Map (db m45814) HM
Minnesota (Chisago County), Taylors Falls — Glacial Potholes
The potholes at the St. Croix Dalles have their origins in a tale of fire and ice. They are carved in a dark volcanic rock called basalt, which erupted as lava 1.1 billion years ago. This basalt is related to lava flows that line the North Shore of . . . — Map (db m46434) HM
Minnesota (Chisago County), Taylors Falls — Taylors Falls United Methodist Church
This is the oldest Methodist Church building in continuous use in Minnesota. Methodist circuit riders of the Sunrise Mission served the Taylors Falls area 1852-59. On March 27, 1859, the Rev. Sias Bolles organized the Taylors Falls Methodist . . . — Map (db m44571) HM
Minnesota (Chisago County), Taylors Falls — Town House SchoolBuilt 1852
Minnesota's Oldest Existing Public School House — Map (db m78666) HM
Minnesota (Clay County), Moorhead — Douglas House
Built by James and Wilhelmina Douglas in 1873 and occupied until 1887, James Douglas ran a steam ship line along the Red River and served as Moorhead's first Post Master. — Map (db m43831) HM
Minnesota (Clay County), Moorhead — Red River Transportation / A Busy Port
Red River Transportation The Red River Trails were a set of overland routes linking the cities of Winnipeg and St. Paul and the small forts and settlements between them.

From 1820 to the 1870s, the trails were used by Metis freight drivers . . . — Map (db m43832) HM

Minnesota (Clay County), Moorhead — St, John's Episcopal Church
St. John's Episcopal Church was designed on an Elizabethan model by the noted architect, Cass Gilbert, among whose other significant buildings is the present Minnesota State Capitol. Construction of St. John's began on August 1, 1898.On February 12, . . . — Map (db m43829) HM
Minnesota (Clay County), Moorhead — Veterans Memorial BridgeMoorhead, MN and Fargo, ND
Red River of the North — Map (db m43835) HM
Minnesota (Clearwater County), Shevlin — Itasca State Park Centennial1891 - 1991
The name "Itasca" was coined specifically from the Latin words "Veritas caput" -- literally meaning "true head" -- by Henry Rowe Schoolcraft in 1832. Led by Ozawindib, an Ojibwe guide who knew the upper reaches of the Mississippi River and its . . . — Map (db m71470) HM
Minnesota (Cook County), Grand Portage — The Grand Portage
The Grand Portage, or Great Carrying Place, was a key 18th century link between the Pigeon River and Lake Superior, making it also a vital connection between Montreal and the rich fur-bearing lands far to the northwest. Traveled for centuries before . . . — Map (db m62049) HM
Minnesota (Crow Wing County), Brainerd — All Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m78407) WM
Minnesota (Crow Wing County), Brainerd — Carnegie Library
This building was presented to the City of Brainerd by Andrew Carnegie Anno Domini, 1904. — Map (db m78408) HM
Minnesota (Crow Wing County), Brainerd — First N. P. Depot1871 Historic Site 1971
[Title is text] — Map (db m78409) HM
Minnesota (Crow Wing County), Brainerd — Former Northern Pacific Railway Water Tower
Official Minnesota Historic Site Built 1919-1922 Renovated 1974 Dedication July 4, 1974 — Map (db m78410) HM
Minnesota (Crow Wing County), Deerwood — The Cuyuna Range
Named for entrepreneur Cuyler Adams and his faithful dog Una, the Cuyuna Ranges lies at the westernmost edge of a ring of iron ore that circles Lake Superior. The smallest of Minnesota’s three northern iron ranges, the Cuyuna was also the last to be . . . — Map (db m43934) HM
Minnesota (Crow Wing County), Fort Ripley — Fort Ripley
The establishment of Fort Ripley in 1848 represents the U.S. government’s effort to establish control on the northern frontier. Construction began on the west bank of the Mississippi River across from this point a year before Minnesota became a . . . — Map (db m43935) HM
Minnesota (Crow Wing County), Garrison — Lake Mille Lacs Walleye
Legend has it this walleye was caught by Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox after a three day struggle. Paul finally wrapped his line around Babe's horns and Babe pulled the fish out of Lake Mille Lacs and up onto Garrison Beach. — Map (db m78403) HM
Minnesota (Crow Wing County), Garrison — Mille Lacs Lake
Names from the fur traders' phrase "The Thousand Lakes Region." This lake is 1250 feet above sea level and covers about 200 square miles. It formerly included much low ground and several adjacent lakes. When visited by Du Luth in 1679, Sioux . . . — Map (db m78405) HM
Minnesota (Crow Wing County), Garrison — William A. Tauer
This memorial erected in honor of William A. Tauer who sacrificed his life to save others during the storm on Mille Lacs Lake June 10, 1927 — Map (db m78406) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — American Legion Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to Those Who Have Made the Ultimate Sacrifice for Their Country World War I United States Army Pvt Lucking George J Pvt Nelson William G E 1Lt Russell Thomas Lyle World War II United States . . . — Map (db m78480) WM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Downtown Develops
As Hastings quickly grew and settlement in the area increased, this port city soon became the commercial center for Dakota County farmers. Farmers brought wagons full of crops to the Hastings market, and then returned home driving wagons full . . . — Map (db m47843) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Enjoying the River
The Mississippi River has been a source of recreation for many generations. People have long enjoyed its beauty and marveled at its power. This is more true than ever today. Boating, hiking, and bird watching all draw people to the river. In . . . — Map (db m48510) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Geology of the Dakota County Region
Hasting lies just south and East of the last glaciation. About 20,000 years ago a lobe of ice, called the Superior lobe, advanced from the Lake Superior basin and crossed the ancient bedrock valley of the Mississippi River between St. Paul and . . . — Map (db m42199) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Going with the Flow
A dynamic force, the Mississippi River changes constantly. Humans have also changed the river, dramatically altering its flow and levels — sometimes with unintended results. In its natural state, the river once flowed freely across a . . . — Map (db m48570) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Hastings Grows
From 1856 to 1865, in its first decade of existence, the city of Hastings grew by 2,500 people, enjoying a boom of settlement also experienced by other cities along the Mississippi. A steady flow of settlers, including many immigrants, . . . — Map (db m48361) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Hastings Spiral BridgeErected 1895 • Demolished 1951
Hastings Spiral Bridge Only One of Its Kind in America April 27 1895 eight thousand people commemorated the opening of the new "High Wagon Bridge" across the Mississippi River. It was built in seven months at a cost of $39,050 by the . . . — Map (db m49690) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Ignatius Donnelly's Nininger City Home
Just northwest of here, at the bottom of the hill, stood the home of Ignatius Donnelly, author, orator, politician, reformer, and prophet who was easily the best known Minnesotan of his time, both in the state and throughout the world. . . . — Map (db m65584) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Living in the Water
The Mississippi River has provided a habitat for many species of fish and other aquatic creatures for millions of years. Human modifications of the river have had both positive and negative effects on fish populations here. Many types of fish thrive . . . — Map (db m49277) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Mississippi
The Father of Waters The Mighty Miss The Great River Source: Lake Itasca MN 552 River Miles Mouth: Gulf of Mexico 1788 River Miles This natural water highway made possible many of man's experiences on the North . . . — Map (db m47809) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Native Cultures
For more than 10,000 years, people have lived near the Mississippi River. The first cultures relied on hunting, fishing, and gathering for survival. As early as 1,000 years ago, however, Indian peoples were farming portions of the river valley near . . . — Map (db m49801) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Nininger Historic Site
On this historic site, the SW corner of Block 67 of the Nininger City plat, was located a building that served the citizens for a century and a half. Construction began in March, 1858, when the Nininger Chapter of the Independent Order of Good . . . — Map (db m65618) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — River Habitats
The Mississippi River and its backwaters are home to a vast and diverse array of fish and wildlife. The river's natural fluctuations help create an environment rich in vegetation — providing food and habitat for nesting birds, fish, and . . . — Map (db m50358) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Roadside Park Veterans Memorial
In Honor and Memory of All Men and Women Who Served Our Country During War and Peace in the Armed Forces of the United States of America Duty · Honor · Country — Map (db m42213) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Shaping the River
The natural river above Hastings was treacherous for steamboats, with a depth that reached only three and one-half feet in some places. The first efforts of the federal government to improve navigation of the river were wing dams (piles of . . . — Map (db m48475) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Spiral Bridge1895 – 1951
This footing is all that remains of the unique bridge that once spanned this river. Historical Preservation Commission 1982 Map (db m49747) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Steamboats, Trains, and Barges
The Mississippi River has long been a major artery for trade and transportation. For thousands of years, Indians traveled on the river by canoe. By the 1850s, rivertowns like Hastings boomed as steamboats brought settlers into the region. The . . . — Map (db m48589) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Veterans Memorial Levee
This levee honors all who served in our nation's armed forces and is dedicated to the eternal memory of those who gave their lives. Hastings, Minnesota 25 July 1981 — Map (db m47790) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Inver Grove Heights — B-52 Crash SiteCold War Veterans Memorial
On this spot on September 16, 1958, a U.S. Air force B-52D bomber crashed while on a Cold War training mission originating from Loring Air Force Base, Limestone, Maine. Seven crewmen gave their lives for their country. They were: Captain Wm. C. . . . — Map (db m45193) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Inver Grove Heights — The Salem Evangelical Church
The first congregation in Minnesota of the Evangelical Association of North America was organized here on March 2, 1857 by the Reverend Andrew Tarnutzer. The first small frame building was replaced in 1875 by a church measuring 20 by 32 feet and . . . — Map (db m67319) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota — "Where the Waters Meet"
Called M'Dote or "the place where waters meet" by the Dakota, this area is central to many Dakota creation stories and is significant to Dakota people today. Just west of this site is Pilot Knob, which was used extensively for burials by the Dakota . . . — Map (db m37659) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota — Faribault House
In front of you stands the Faribault House, built by long-time fur trader Jean-Baptiste in 1839. Faribault was originally from the Montreal area, and had been associated with the British and American fur traders since the late 1790s. He built this . . . — Map (db m37618) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota — General Henry Hastings Sibley
[symbol of the Daughters of the American Revolution; image of the Sibley House] To the glory of God and in memory of General Henry Hastings Sibley. Born February 20, 1811, died February 18, 1891. A great patriot - soldier - . . . — Map (db m37573) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota — Henry Sibley and Old Mendota
The Sibley House was built in 1836 for Henry Hastings Sibley, regional manager for the American Fur Company. The first floor was designed for business operations, and the second floor was his bachelor's residence. Two additions were made to the . . . — Map (db m41358) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota — Mendota / Sibley House
[symbol of the Daughters of the American Revolution] Mendota In the language of the Sioux means the mouth of a river. Was the earliest permanent white settlement in southern Minnesota. A pioneer center of the fur trade. . . . — Map (db m37534) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota — Mendota / Sibley House Association
Mendota This wide valley intersection between the two rivers known today as the Minnesota and Mississippi has been a meeting place for people for thousands of years. The Dakota people lived on these prairielands by the 1700s. . . . — Map (db m38269) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota — Sibley House Historic Site
Welcome to the Sibley House Historic Site! This area had long been the center of travel and trade for the Dakota when it became the center for American Fur Company operations on the Upper Mississippi. It was also home to Minnesota's first governor, . . . — Map (db m41238) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota — St. Peter's Church
Here at Mendota (where the rivers meet) missionaries ministered to both Indians and settlers, enduring the hardships of a sprawling wilderness that was the Minnesota country. In 1842, Father Lucien Galtier built a small, log chapel with only two . . . — Map (db m37714) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota — The First Stone House
1835 • 1916 [symbol of the D.A.R.] The first stone house erected in the State of Minnesota by its first Governor, Gen. Henry Hastings Sibley. Secured in 1910 for the St. Paul Chapter, Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m37594) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota Heights — Mendota Work Camp No. 1
The "New Deal" During the Great Depression of the early 1930's, more than 25 percent of the nations' workforce was unemployed. One of President Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal programs was the Works Progress Administration . . . — Map (db m40481) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota Heights — Pilot Knob
1851 • 1922 [symbol of the D.A.R.] To Commemorate The Treaty at Mendota Negotiated on Pilot Knob Whereby the Sioux Indians ceded their lands in the Territory of Minnesota and State of Iowa to the . . . — Map (db m37430) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota Heights — United States War Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of all United States War Veterans June 25, 1939 Dedicatory Committee United Spanish War Veterans Veterans of Foreign Wars American Legion — Map (db m37739) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), South Saint Paul — Armour & Company1919 – 1979
With the establishment of the stockyards, meat buyers were quick to congregate in South St. Paul. In 1897, Armour had buyers here. Cattle, hogs and sheep were purchased and then shipped to Chicago for processing. Nearby the Swift & Company plant was . . . — Map (db m31247) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), South Saint Paul — Kaposia Village
Here on the Mendota Trail from 1839 to 1852 stood the Sioux village of the Little Crow family. An attempted Chippewa attack in 1842 precipitated the Battle of Kaposia across the river. After the Treaty of Mendota in 1851 the band moved up the . . . — Map (db m31186) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), South Saint Paul — Swift & Company1897 – 1969
On this site stood Swift & Company’s slaughterhouse and meat packing plant. It eventually became the company’s largest plant in the United States. The area covered 28 acres, with 30.5 acres of floor space in multi-storied buildings. Swift & . . . — Map (db m40768) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), South Saint Paul — The Stockyards
The idea to create a livestock market and meat packing center at South St. Paul was conceived by Alpheus B. Stickney, a prominent railroad businessman. After meetings with western livestock ranchers and producers, the need to locally slaughter and . . . — Map (db m31274) HM
Minnesota (Douglas County), Alexandria — Red River Ox Cart Trails
          For some 40 years in the mid-19th century, two-wheeled wooden carts drawn by slow-moving oxen creaked and groaned over the rough trails from colonies on the Red River near Lake Winnipeg to St. Paul, 400 miles to the southeast.           . . . — Map (db m85787) HM
Minnesota (Faribault County), Blue Earth — A Golden Dedication for I-90
The nation celebrated completion of Interstate 90 after contractors paved the last four-miles of freeway near Blue Earth in 1978. Reminiscent of the "Golden Spike" that symbolized completion of the nation's first transcontinental railroad in 1869, . . . — Map (db m88504) HM
Minnesota (Fillmore County), Lanesboro — Minnesota's Norwegian Americans
Like immigrants from many European nations in the mid-19th century, Norwegians left their homeland to escape overpopulation, food shortages, and farm foreclosures. They began arriving in Minnesota in the 1850s, drawn by rich farmland and job . . . — Map (db m31323) HM
Minnesota (Freeborn County), Albert Lea — Minnesota’s Roads / Welcome to Minnesota
Minnesota's Roads. "A perfect highway is a thing of beauty and joy forever," enthused a speaker at Minnesota's first "Good Roads" convention in 1893. "It blesses every home by which it passes." Early in the 1890s, even before the automobile . . . — Map (db m9911) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Cannon Falls — "We Must Have a Gun"
The Grand Army of the Republic (the GAR) was organized by Civil War veterans. The Cannon Falls George McKinley GAR Post #92 closed its minutes on February 1, 1897, with this note: "We Must Have a Gun." Its members were . . . — Map (db m46821) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Cannon Falls — 1888 Cannon Falls Fire Hall
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m46837) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Cannon Falls — 20 — Colonel William Colvill Monument
William Colvill, Col. 1st Regt. Minn. Vols. Born April 5, 1830. Died June 12, 1905. In Memory Of Colonel William Colvill and the 1st Reg. Minn. Vols. which he commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg on July . . . — Map (db m46813) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Frontenac — Christ Episcopal Church
Built to the Glory of God 1868 by Gen. Nathaniel C. McLean and Consecrated October 27th by Bishop Henry Whipple. This church has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the . . . — Map (db m45602) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Frontenac — GD-FLC-056 — Fort Beauharnois
On the shore of Lake Pepin just north of here a French expedition commanded by LaPerriere and accompanied by two Jesuits in September 1727 built a substantial log fort and the mission of St. Michael the Archangel. The post was occupied periodically . . . — Map (db m45242) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Frontenac — Frontenac
This scenic Mississippi River site provided Native Americans food, shelter, and transportation for over 9,000 years. Count Frontenac, the Governor of New France, sponsored the first European explorers to this area in 1680. James (Bully) Wells . . . — Map (db m47158) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Frontenac — GD-FLC-054 — Lake Pepin's Shell Game / In Search of Summer — Great River Road Minnesota
Lake Pepin's Shell Game Celebrated today as a resort area, Lake Pepin had an earlier fame as a clamming center. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, more than 500 clammers worked the lake from their flat-bottomed johnboats, using giant . . . — Map (db m51948) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Frontenac — Wakondiota Park
In the 1857 town plat of Frontenac (then called Westervelt), Wakondiota Park was designated as two blocks long, one block wide, and located at what is now the Christ Episcopal Church site. When the town was renamed in 1859, the park was moved one . . . — Map (db m47877) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Red Wing — Barn Bluff
"The most beautiful prospect that imagination can form," wrote 18th century explorer Jonathan Carver about the view from Barn Bluff. "Verdant plains, fruitful meadows, and numerous islands abound with the most varied trees.... But above all, . . . — Map (db m24816) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Red Wing — Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad DepotCompleted: 1905
The construction of this building began in 1904 following an agreement in which the city of Red Wing provided trackage concessions and the railroad agreed to construct this depot and donate money toward construction of Levee Park. This building was . . . — Map (db m49097) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Red Wing — Civil War Memorial
Erected to the Memory of the Volunteer Soldiers of Goodhue County 1861–1865 — Map (db m45492) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Red Wing — Geology of MinnesotaRed Wing Region
     During the great ice ages the landscape of Minnesota was profoundly altered by continental glaciers in four major epochs of glaciation. In this area, as elsewhere, the closing stage of each epoch was characterized by the release of floods of . . . — Map (db m45869) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Red Wing — Goodhue County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to those who gave their lives in service to their country. [outline of Goodhue County] Goodhue County Veterans Memorial · May 21, 1988 — Map (db m52985) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Red Wing — Kiwanis Stairway
Citizens of Red Wing have long sought convenient access to the summit of Mt. La Grange (Barn Bluff) to enjoy the impressive view of the Mississippi valley. In 1889 local civic leader C.C. Webster promoted the construction of a path up the west . . . — Map (db m24890) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Red Wing — Mt. La Grange – Barn Bluff
This bold bluff was a landmark for French explorers who named it Mt. La Grange for its resemblance to a large barn. Some 10,000 years ago meltwater from the glaciers carved a deep channel in this area. Barn Bluff became an island in the . . . — Map (db m24982) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Red Wing — National Newspaper Association
Launched from Red Wing, the National Newspaper Association has been the voice and vehicle of grassroots American journalism for 100 years. NNA was founded as the National Editorial Assn. but was renamed in 1965. Today it embraces . . . — Map (db m46972) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Red Wing — Remember the Maine1898 • 1902
In Memory of the Soldiers, Sailors and Marines of the Spanish American War, who Volunteered in the Cause of Freedom, Patriotism, and Humanity. Dedicated by the Department of Minnesota Auxiliary United . . . — Map (db m52401) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Red Wing — T.B. Sheldon Memorial Auditorium
Theodore B. Sheldon, prominent local grain merchant and business leader, bequeathed to the City of Red Wing half of his estate to be used for a public purpose. After his death in 1900, his trustees chose to construct the T.B. Sheldon Memorial . . . — Map (db m47739) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Red Wing — The G.A. Carlson Lime Kiln
The G.A. Carlson Lime Kiln, built in 1882 on the northeast end of Barn Bluff (Mt. LaGrange), is typical of approximately thirty such kilns in use in the Red Wing area during the period from 1870 to 1908. Gustavus Adolphus Carlson at one time . . . — Map (db m39722) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Red Wing — The Sea Wing Disaster / Victims of the Sea Wing Disaster
On July 13, 1890 the steamer Sea Wing, heavily loaded with 215 passengers and crew, left the steamboat landing here for a Sunday excursion down the Mississippi River to Lake City. The Sea Wing, based in Diamond Bluff, Wisconsin, . . . — Map (db m49445) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Red Wing — William Colvill
William Colvill was born in New York state on April 5, 1830. As a young lawyer he moved to Red Wing in 1854, becoming the town's first city attorney. On April 19, 1861 — one week after the Confederates fired on Fort Sumter — a . . . — Map (db m48890) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Vasa — Vasa: Mattson's Settlement
Founded in 1853 and called “Mattson’s Settlement” after its first resident, Hans Mattson, the community was renamed Vasa in 1856 in honor of Swedish King Gustav Vasa. Once called “the most Swedish colony in America,” . . . — Map (db m45380) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Zumbrota — First Congregational Church
[cross] This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior In memory of Laura Schlasner — Map (db m49215) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Zumbrota — Zumbrota Covered Bridge
Constructed over Zumbro River in 1869 · cost $5,800. Original site Highway 58 about 1,000 feet from present location. 120 feet long town lattice truss design plans by A.J. Thatcher · construction supervised by E.L. Kingsbury. Served as . . . — Map (db m49209) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Bloomington — Bloomington Town Hall
The Bloomington Town Hall was built twenty feet from this site in 1892 on land given to the Township by the Baillif family. The building was moved to the current location in the 1930's in the first of a number of remodelings the building has . . . — Map (db m15357) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Bloomington — Civil War Monument
[south side] Erected by the Citizens of Bloomington, Memorial Day, 1890, In honor and memory of our country's defenders 1861, - 1865. Monument Committee. Sever Ellingson, Chairman. • Wm. Oxborough, Jr. • H.H. Pond, Treas. . . . — Map (db m56933) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Bloomington — Fallen Heroes Memorial
Fallen Heroes SPC Benjamin J. Slaven June 9, 2006 · SGT Brent W. Koch June 16, 2006 · SPC Kyle R. Miller June 29, 2006 · SSG Jeffery J. Hansen Aug. 21, 2006 · . . . — Map (db m42804) WM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Bloomington — Rodney J. Putz1939 – 1994
In memory of Rodney J. Putz 1939 – 1994 This living garden has been planted in memory of Rodney J. Putz. Visionary, Entrepreneur, Leader, Teacher, Mentor, Friend, Brother, Father, Husband, Great Human . . . — Map (db m17287) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Bloomington — Samuel W. and Gideon H. Pond
1834 – 1934 To honor Samuel W. and Gideon H. Pond Volunteer missionaries to the Dakotas who arrived at Ft. Snelling May 6, 1834. This tablet is placed on the house built in 1856 by Gideon H. Pond. Near-by is the site of . . . — Map (db m4894) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Brooklyn Center — Earle Brown and the Brooklyn Farm
Although this site is known today as the Earl Brown farm, it originally belonged to Captain John Martin, who was involved in steamboating, lumbering, banking, flour milling and railroading. In the mid-1880s, he purchased 420 acres of rich Hennepin . . . — Map (db m69931) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Brooklyn Park — How the Dam Works
The original dam was built in 1913 and had 28 steel gates. The gates moved up and down to allow different amounts of water to flow under them. The current dam was completed in 1997 and is fitted with five crest gates. These gates maintain . . . — Map (db m74833) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Champlin — Louis Hennepin
On July-1-1680 Louis Hennepin left this place to discover the St Anthony Falls ——— Marked by the Daughters of the American Colonists – 1929 – — Map (db m69738) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Champlin — World War II Monument
Honoring the Men and Women of this Community who Served in the Armed Forces of the United States in the Global War. In memory of neighborhood boys who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II • Kenneth Adcock • Robert L. Goodrich • Robert . . . — Map (db m70546) WM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Edina — Minnehaha Grange Hall
[west side] Minnehaha Grange No. 398 was organized on December 12, 1873. Its members came from Edina Mills, Richfield Mills, St. Louis Park and the surrounding area. At first, the Grange met in the homes of its members. Then in . . . — Map (db m55450) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Edina — Old Cahill School
[east side] The Cahill Settlement was one of the early communities in the western half of Richfield Township. It was established in the 1850s by Irish immigrants fleeing famine in their native Ireland. During the years of 1846, . . . — Map (db m55813) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Excelsior — Geology of Lake Minnetonka
Like most lakes in Minnesota, Lake Minnetonka was formed during the Ice Age of the last two million years. During several separate glacial periods, ice advanced along different routes across the state. The glaciers, along with large volumes of . . . — Map (db m59925) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Excelsior — In Honor of All Who Served and Those Who Died
Army • Navy • Air Force Marines • Coast Guard • Merchant Marines World War I Grant Lorenz US Army Donald Gray US Army Blanchard West US Army Mervin Grover US Army Guy R. Forbes US Army J. Jay Vietz US Army John W. . . . — Map (db m63784) WM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Excelsior — Peter M. Gideon
. . . — Map (db m59217) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Excelsior — Peter M. Gideon and the Wealthy Apple
In 1853, Peter Miller Gideon and his wife, Wealthy, arrived in Minnesota from Ohio and settled on the shores of Lake Minnetonka. Long interested in fruitgrowing, Peter Gideon determined to satisfy the craving of pioneer families for apples and other . . . — Map (db m59213) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Excelsior — Soldiers Memorial
[The Grand Army of the Republic Badge] In memory of our soldier dead. — Map (db m60849) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — 1 — 1–Main Entrance Minnehaha Lower Glen
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board welcomes you to Minnehaha Park. The park consists of two levels: The upper level is maintained as an open picnicking area. Many of the city's traditional festivals such as Svenskarnas Dag are held here. The . . . — Map (db m40787) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — 1st Infantry DivisionUnited States Army
The heart of the U.S. Army is its regular infantry, with lineage going back to 1808. The First Infantry Division is America’s oldest division. In 1918 the soldiers of the 1st won America’s first major battle of WWI at Cantigy. In WWII the 1st . . . — Map (db m70951) WM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — 3 — 3 – Master Map
1 Main Glen Entrance 2 Abandoned Falls Marker 3 Master Map 4 Ecological Marker 5 Spring-fed Wetland 6 Old Godfrey Mill Site 7 Lower Glen Geology 8 Camp Fire Area 9 Springs Marker 10 St. Peter Limestone Marker 11 Mississippi . . . — Map (db m43665) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Architects and Engineers Building

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m80195) HM

Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Beneath the Surface — Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail
This 1893 map shows the system of tunnels that ran under the West Side Milling District–part of the complex waterworks that brought energy from the 50-foot drop of the falls into the mills. Water from the river above the falls flowed through . . . — Map (db m28081) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Bridging the Stream — Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail
People have long crossed the river at about this point. This was a natural fording place, used by Native Americans and also by soldiers from Fort Snelling. The first documented ferry service was provided by a Dakota Indian woman with her canoe in . . . — Map (db m50228) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Changing the Shape of the Falls — Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail
When Europeans first saw the falls, the crest was well below Hennepin Island. Natural erosion caused the line of the falls to move steadily upriver at about four feet a year. By the 1850s, the cataract was approaching the upper limit of the . . . — Map (db m28025) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Christ Church LutheranNational Register of Historic Places — June 20, 2001
Christ Church Lutheran was founded on 1911. This building, designed by world famous Finnish architect, Eliel Saarinen, was completed in 1949. Immediately the building received international acclaim as one of the earliest examples of modernist design . . . — Map (db m50066) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Col. John H. Stevens
Born June .13. 1820 Died May .28. 1900 First settler in the City of Minneapolis. — Map (db m17234) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Como–Harriet Streetcar Line
For 74 years this transit railway carried passengers to downtown jobs, to University of Minnesota classes, and to picnics and concerts on the shores of Lake Harriet. Steam passenger trains of the Minneapolis, Lyndale & Minnetonka Railway first . . . — Map (db m38850) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Eagles

The Eagles installed on the Convention Center Plaza are artifacts removed from the 1927 era Auditorium which was located on the nearby site now occupied by the new Minneapolis Convention Center. The old Auditorium was bounded by Grant Street on . . . — Map (db m91399) HM


887 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 637
Paid Advertisement
Categories20th CenturyAbolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansAgricultureAir & SpaceAnimalsAntebellum South, USAnthropologyArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicAsian AmericansBridges & ViaductsCemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Civil RightsColonial EraCommunicationsDisastersEducationEntertainmentEnvironmentExplorationForts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentHeroesHispanic AmericansHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsLandmarksMan-Made FeaturesMilitaryNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPaleontologyPatriots & PatriotismPeacePolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersSportsWar of 1812War, 1st Iraq & Desert StormWar, 2nd IraqWar, AfghanistanWar, ColdWar, French and IndianWar, KoreanWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWar, VietnamWar, World IWar, World IIWars, Non-USWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
States or ProvincesAlabamaAlaskaAlbertaArizonaArkansasBritish ColumbiaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineManitobaMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew BrunswickNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNewfoundland and LabradorNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNova ScotiaOhioOklahomaOntarioOregonPennsylvaniaPrince Edward IslandPuerto RicoQuebecRhode IslandSaskatchewanSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingYukon Territory
CountriesArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBelgiumBelizeBrazilCanadaChinaCosta RicaCzech RepublicDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuyanaHondurasHungaryIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaKiribatiLiechtensteinLuxembourgMalaysiaMexicoNetherlands AntillesNew ZealandNicaraguaPalestinian TerritoriesPhilippinesRussiaSaint LuciaScotland, UKSingaporeSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSwedenSwitzerlandThailandTurkeyTurks and Caicos IslandsU.S Virgin IslandsUkraineUnited KingdomUnited States of America