Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Nebraska Historical Markers

552 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 352
 
Naval Ammunition Depot Marker image, Click for more information
By Bill Kirchner, September 23, 2014
Naval Ammunition Depot Marker
Nebraska (Adams County), Hastings — 366 — Naval Ammunition Depot
The U.S. Naval Ammunition Depot, known locally as "the NAD," was the largest of the navy's World War II inland munitions depots, occupying almost 49,000 acres of Adams and Clay County farmland. Construction began in July 1942; loading, assembly, and . . . — Map (db m78005) HM
Nebraska (Antelope County), Orchard — 296 — The Prairie States Forestry Project
The Prairie States Forestry Project was initiated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1935 to combat the severe wind-caused soil erosion of the Dust Bowl days. From 1935 through 1942, the U.S. Forest Service, working with the Works Progress . . . — Map (db m9633) HM
Nebraska (Box Butte County), Heminford — 146 — Box Butte Country
A flat-topped hill to the southeast was named Box Butte by early cowboys and travelers. This area is part of the Box Butte Tableland, semi-arid short grass country that stretches far to the west. Box Butte has given its name to the creek that flows . . . — Map (db m89342) HM
Nebraska (Boyd County), Naper — 453 — Lost Airmen of World War II
On August 3, 1944, a C-47 transport carrying twenty-eight men of the U.S. Army Air Forces crashed in a ravine six miles southwest of Naper during a severe storm. There were no survivors. It was the largest single military air disaster in Nebraska . . . — Map (db m70623) HM
Nebraska (Brown County), Ainsworth — 380 — Ainsworth Army Air Field
Ainsworth Army Air Field, completed on November 30, 1942, was a satellite of Rapid City Army Air Field and under command of the Second Air Force. The field was one of eleven Army Air Force training bases built in Nebraska during World War II. The . . . — Map (db m77760) HM
Nebraska (Brown County), Johnstown — 236 — Lakeland Sod High School
Lakeland High School was constructed 20 miles south of this site by ranchers from several rural school districts during the summer of 1934. School began that September with 11 students. Constructed of prairie sod, with a sod roof supported by pole . . . — Map (db m9623) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Elm Creek — 91 — Historic Platte Valley
Through this valley passed the Oregon Trail, highway for early explorers, fur traders, California-bound gold seekers, freighters, and brave pioneers seeking new homes in the West. Traffic was especially heavy from 1843 to 1866. At times as many as . . . — Map (db m45521) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Gibbon — D. E. "Mac" McGregorIn Honor Of

whose ideas brought about this park and this windmill — Map (db m79884) HM

Nebraska (Buffalo County), Gibbon — First Buffalo County Court House

On Oct. 10, 1871 the Buffalo County seat was by vote located at Gibbon.

On this site was built the first Buffalo County Courthouse in 1873. Hand made brick in base, made from local clay is from this courthouse razed in 1909.

On Oct. 13, . . . — Map (db m79715) HM

Nebraska (Buffalo County), Gibbon — 201 — Gibbon

Gibbon, near here, was the site of a unique experiment in homestead colonization. The Soldiers' Free Homestead Temperance Colony was responsible for bringing the earliest settlers, mostly Union veterans, to this locality. Traveling via the . . . — Map (db m79716) HM

Nebraska (Buffalo County), Gibbon — 115 — Gibbon1871 - 1971

Gibbon, on the old Mormon Trail, was the site of a unique experiment in homestead colonization. Originally conceived as a financial venture by Colonel John Thorp of Ohio, the Soldier's Free Homestead Colony was responsible for bringing the . . . — Map (db m79880) HM

Nebraska (Buffalo County), Gibbon — Memorial Tree

In honor of the Grand Army of the Republic by its Auxiliary the National Woman's Relief Corps — Map (db m79718) WM

Nebraska (Buffalo County), Gibbon — 359 — Nebraska Centre - Boyd Ranche
James E. Boyd settled near here in 1858 and by 1860 operated a trail ranche supplying travelers on the Platte Valley Overland Route (Mormon Trail). The ranche included 2200 acres of corn and barley. Nebraska Centre Post Office was here until it was . . . — Map (db m45425) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Gibbon — The Soldiers Free Homestead ColonyIn Memory Of — April 7, 1871

Erected by the descendants of the Soldiers Free Homestead Colony, to honor and perpetuate their names, for their courage and self sacrifice in their pioneering. They arrived in Gibbon, Nebraska, April 7, 1871, by Union Pacific Railroad, seeking . . . — Map (db m79721) HM

Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Baldwin Engine 481
Baldwin Built engine 481 in 1903. The original number was 1902, but was later renumbered 841 in 1915. It was used on the main line branch lines of the Union Pacific Railroad in Kansas until the winter of 1954-55, when it was brought to Kearney . . . — Map (db m45428) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Boyd House
The Boyd House, first frame house in Buffalo County, was built just west of present-day Gibbon in 1864 by brothers James E. and Joseph Boyd. It was the family home of James and Ann Boyd and their children. The two brothers came to the area in the . . . — Map (db m45468) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — 488 — Buffalo County’s Lincoln Highway Seedling Mile
The Lincoln Highway Association was founded in 1913 to promote a transcontinental automobile route from new York City to San Francisco. Dedicated on October 31, 1913, the route was marked by the letter “L” within red, white, and blue . . . — Map (db m45520) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Dr. Paul Ambrose
This garden was planted in memory of Dr. Paul Ambrose who died on American Airlines Flight 77 on September 11, 2001. "Paul dedicated his career to changing the health care system with an emphasis on physician leadership and prevention. Paul . . . — Map (db m58905) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Empress Theatre1914
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Destroyed by fire Rebuilt 1940 as Fort Theatre — Map (db m58904) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — German Baptist Church of the Brethren
This building was constructed in 1898 by the German Baptist Church of the Brethren to serve as a house of worship. It was originally located on the southwest corner of ? Street and Avenue A in Kearney. This congregation used this building until . . . — Map (db m45467) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Good Samaritan Air Crew
This gazebo is dedicated to the memory of the Good Samaritan Air Crew. On December 20, 1985, they gave their lives attempting to save others. Nancy Brandon Joan Brown Craig Budden — Map (db m58938) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — 153 — Historic Kearney
In 1847 Brigham Young led the first migration over the Mormon Trail along the north bank of the Platte River, and in 1866 the Union Pacific Railroad pushed its main line westward to this valley, bringing pioneer settlers. However, it was not until . . . — Map (db m45427) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Hostetler Amphitheatre
. . . — Map (db m58962) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Kearney Civil War and Spanish-American War Memorial
Erected by the City of Kearney, 1910. In honor of the Defenders of our Country, 1861-1865 and 1898-1900. — Map (db m45426) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Kearney State College Memorial Carillon Tower
In honor of George and Venetia Peterson and Elias and Mary Yanney The carillon tower reflects the early history of Kearney State College and the Administration Building located adjacent to this site. The four columns of the . . . — Map (db m58961) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Kearney: From the Beginning
Long before early French explorers named it the Platte River, or "flat waters," this heartland oasis was a crossroads. Migratory birds, abundant wildlife and Native Americans had been in residence for centuries when the confluence of the Oregon . . . — Map (db m58888) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Loup River Freighter Hotel
Loup River Freighters Hotel was built in 1884 by Jerome Lalone, a house painter and wallpaper hanger from Kearney. Mr. Lolone purchased land in the northwestern corner of Buffalo County along the South Loup river in 1883. he built the house along a . . . — Map (db m45429) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Old Oregon Trail
. . . — Map (db m58815) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Shelton Union Pacific Depot
This depot was built in 1898 next to the Union Pacific tracks in Shelton. It was moved to this site in September 1975 and was the first building on the grounds of the Trails and Rails Museum of the Buffalo County Historical Society. It was donated . . . — Map (db m45471) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Site of Bauer DrugNovember 1, 1946 - December 1958 — Proprietor, George J. Bauer
and Bauer Sundries & Veterinary Supplies January 1959 - October 1969 Proprietor, Frances R. Bauer Home of Kearney's last soda fountain In honor of George J. and Frances R. Bauer for their civic mindedness and years of . . . — Map (db m58857) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — 364 — The Great Platte River Road
The trail which followed the south side of the Platte River was the main route to Oregon and California. Fur traders going to the Rocky Mountains took the first wagons over the trail in 1830. Oregon-bound missionaries followed in the mid-1830s, and . . . — Map (db m53268) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — 125 — University of Nebraska at Kearney
In 1903 the legislature appropriated $50,000 to establish a state normal school in central or western Nebraska. After 111 ballots, the State Board of Education chose Kearney as the site. The city donated twenty acres on the west edge of town for a . . . — Map (db m45500) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Shelton — 407 — Joseph E. Johnson and the Huntsman’s Echo
In April 1860 Joseph E. Johnson, a Mormon, established a road ranche at Wood River Center, today’s Shelton, and began publishing The Huntsman’s Echo, the first newspaper in Nebraska west of Omaha. He had earlier edited papers in Council Bluffs, . . . — Map (db m45423) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Shelton — Meisner Bank Building

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m79714) HM

Nebraska (Buffalo County), Shelton — Shelton Pioneers
This Boulder is dedicated to the early pioneers of the community of Shelton, in recognition of their heroic services in establishing and protecting this town and in risking their lives that Shelton might be secure. In memory of La Belle Whitney . . . — Map (db m45283) HM
Nebraska (Burt County), Tekamah — Historical Facts of Burt County
(South Side) Old block house was built by U.S. War Department on this site in 1855 to protect white colony from Indians. Crowning achievment of the pioneers was a gold medal award for best agricultural display at World's Fair 1893 . . . — Map (db m28077) HM
Nebraska (Butler County), David City — 252 — Shinn's Ferry
Moses Shinn and his son Dick began operating Shinn's Ferry across the Platte in 1859. The original site was near Savannah, the first Butler County seat, and a short distance from the present Schuyler bridge. Just above this location the Platte was . . . — Map (db m39143) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Elmwood — 41 — Bess Streeter Aldrich, 1881-1954
"Love is more like a light that you carry .... that is what love is to a woman - a lantern in her hand," says Abbie Deal the courageous heroine in Bess Streeter Aldrich's novel about the pioneers who with dreams and hard work forged this great State . . . — Map (db m82510) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — Blake Building
This Property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Blake Building 305 Main Street 1883 ca John Blake, proprietor of a local saloon, erected this building. The . . . — Map (db m78059) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — Budweiser Building 1888
This Property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Budweiser Building 1888 Anheuser-Busch Brewing Co built for $20,000 to house a saloon and liquor business. . . . — Map (db m78051) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — Cass County Courthouse
Two markers, to the left and right of the front entrance. Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior 1985 This Property is listed in the . . . — Map (db m78049) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — 242 — Company A – First Nebraska Volunteer Infantry1861-1866
When the outbreak of war between the states became imminent in the spring of 1861, the citizens of Plattsmouth were quick to respond to the impending crisis. Without waiting for President Lincoln's call for volunteers, Dr. Robert R. Livingston . . . — Map (db m78024) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — Drew/Weckbach
This Property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Drew/Weckbach 317, 321, 325 Main Street 1881 & 1886 Joseph V. Weckbach came to Plattsmouth in 1865. After . . . — Map (db m78056) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — Excelsior Building
This Property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Excelsior Building 313 Main Street 1884 Three business owners, in succession, J.C. & R. Peterson, brothers, . . . — Map (db m78058) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — Plattsmouth Bridge 1930
This Property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Plattsmouth Bridge 1930 The bridge was built to replace the ferry service that had started in 1848. It was . . . — Map (db m78061) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — Vienna Bakery
This Property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Vienna Bakery 329 Main Street 1881 Built by William Stadelman, First occupant was a bakery run by William . . . — Map (db m78054) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — Wetenkamp Building
This Property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Wetenkamp Building 337 Main Street 1890 Many businesses occupied this site. Among them were various stores, . . . — Map (db m78053) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Weeping Water — 118 — Weeping Water Academy
This building was constructed by community effort in 1871 of native limestone as the Congregational Church and served in that capacity until a new brick church was constructed 1887-1890. The nearby stone parsonage, first occupied in 1867, was sold . . . — Map (db m82521) HM
Nebraska (Chase County), Champion — 43 — Champion Water-powered Mill
Champion, on the Frenchman River (Creek), is the site of probably the oldest functioning water-powered mill in Nebraska. Preliminary construction on the mill was begun in the fall of 1886. The work was completed and the mill placed in operation by . . . — Map (db m79376) HM
Nebraska (Cherry County), Bayonne — 4 — Opening the Sandhills
The first ranch in this area was set up on the Niobrara River about five miles south of here in 1877. E. S. Newman established his ranch to sell cattle to the government for delivery to the Indians at the Pine Ridge Agency to the north. The . . . — Map (db m9622) HM
Nebraska (Cherry County), Valentine — Bryan Bridge
This arched cantilever truss bridge, connected in the center with a single pin, is the only one of its kind in the United States. It was built in 1932 by the Department of Public Works and named by the local citizenry in honor of Governor Charles . . . — Map (db m70625) HM
Nebraska (Cherry County), Valentine — 87 — Fort Niobrara
When a Sioux Indian reservation was established north of here in Dakota Territory in 1878, early settlers in the region grew fearful of attack. They requested military protection, and in 1880 Fort Niobrara was built a few miles east of present-day . . . — Map (db m77753) HM
Nebraska (Cherry County), Wood Lake — 483 — Midair Collision of P-47 "Thunderbolt" Fighter Planes, 1944
At 10:45 a.m. on February 5, 1944, 1st Lt. John B. Beatty of Sandusky, OH, and 2d Lt. Earnest W. Fanslau of Mantua, NJ took to the air from the Ainsworth Army Air Field in two P-47 "Thunderbolt" fighter planes for an instrument training flight. Lt. . . . — Map (db m77754) HM
Nebraska (Cheyenne County), Sidney — 16 — Fort Sidney
Sidney Barracks, when established in 1867, was a temporary camp with one permanent structure, a blockhouse located to the north. In 1869 the Fort was relocated at this site and in 1870 the name was officially changed to Fort Sidney. The primary . . . — Map (db m76864) HM
Nebraska (Cheyenne County), Sidney — Hickory Square
Eight plaques mounted on a single monument are located at Hickory Square. The plaques are presented left to right. Early Day Cheyenne County The history of Nebraska and Cheyenne County correlate to the push westward of the . . . — Map (db m76866) HM
Nebraska (Cheyenne County), Sidney — 362 — Sioux Army Depot
Sioux Army Depot was established on 23 March 1942 as Sioux Ordnance Depot. It was the only U.S. Army Ammunition Depot in Nebraska during World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. The depot was initially under the command of the U.S. Army . . . — Map (db m76863) HM
Nebraska (Clay County), Sutton — 49 — Sutton
The first permanent settler in the town of Sutton was Luther French, who arrived in 1870. He and his seven children lived near here in a dugout on the bank of School Creek. This dugout had a tunnel to the creek bank and the inside entrance could be . . . — Map (db m78007) HM
Nebraska (Clay County), Sutton — 422 — The Soldier's Monument
On March 27, 1879, George G. Meade Post 19, Grand Army of the Republic, Department of Nebraska, was founded in Sutton by twenty former Union soldiers. The G.A.R. was a national fraternal organization created to provide for the welfare of Union . . . — Map (db m78006) HM WM
Nebraska (Custer County), Broken Bow — 45 — Broken Bow
A discarded Indian bow suggested the name for a town. Wilson Hewitt, an early homesteader, had applied for the location of a post office on his place. Approving the location, the government rejected Hewitt's first three suggested names as being too . . . — Map (db m77816) HM
Nebraska (Custer County), Broken Bow — Site of First Custer County Courthouse
Erected and Donated to Custer County By the Citizens and Precinct of Broken Bow A.D. 1889

This site donated to Custer County by Jess Gandy A.D. 1882

Building Committee - S.H. Yoder, W.H. Coon, T.J. Woods, J.B. Lump, W. Hewett, I.H. . . . — Map (db m77763) HM

Nebraska (Custer County), Broken Bow — 59 — The Nebraska State Grange
The National Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry was organized in Washington, D.C. in 1867. During the 1870's, it was the major voice of the American farmer and its social, educational, and fraternal activities brightened farm life. "Granger Laws", . . . — Map (db m77761) HM
Nebraska (Custer County), Westerville — 248 — 1880 Westerville 1980
Westerville, nestled in picturesque Clear Creek Valley, was the first town in Custer County. It was named for James H. Westervelt on whose land the townsite was platted August 11, 1880. The town became an important early trade center after pioneer . . . — Map (db m77819) HM
Nebraska (Custer County), Westerville — Westerville United Methodist Church
Westerville United Methodist Church Organized in 1880. First church in Custer County. — Map (db m77817) HM
Nebraska (Dawes County), Chadron — 42 — Bordeaux Trading Post
From about 1846 until 1872, an Indian "trading house" occupied a site near here. Built by James Bordeaux, the trading station was once attacked and set afire by hostile Crow warriors. Fortunately, some friendly Sioux Indians came to the rescue and . . . — Map (db m4529) HM
Nebraska (Dawes County), Chadron — 195 — Chadron Creek Trading Post
Employees of Lancaster P. Lupton built a trading post on the creek near here in 1841 to trade with the Sioux Indians. From 1842 until at least 1845 this post was managed by Louis B. Chartran, first for Sibille and Adams and later for Pratte & . . . — Map (db m89344) HM
Nebraska (Dawes County), Chadron — 465 — Fort Robinson - Camp Sheridan - Pine Ridge Indian Agency Road
Following the 1874 establishment of military posts near the Red Cloud and Spotted Tail agencies for the Oglala and Brule Sioux, the army laid out a forty-two-mile road to transport military and Indian supplies between the agencies and posts. Oglala . . . — Map (db m89346) HM
Nebraska (Dawes County), Chadron — Historic Northwestern Nebraska
The Pine Ridge Country of northwestern Nebraska is among the greatest historic places of the nineteenth-century American West. It was long the homeland and hunting grounds of the Lakota (Western Sioux). White fur traders began arriving during . . . — Map (db m89354) HM
Nebraska (Dawes County), Chadron — Paha SapaThe heart of everything that is.
Paha Sapa is sacred land of the Lakota that the white man has named Black Hills. We never lived in this place. It is the womb of Mother Earth—the rightful home of birds and animals. We came here only for ceremonies, vision quests and burials. . . . — Map (db m89372) HM
Nebraska (Dawes County), Chadron — 331 — The Chadron-Chicago Cowboy Race
America’s longest horse race began here June 13, 1893. The 1,000 mile race ended June 27 in Chicago at Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show. The race apparently was the idea of Chadron jokester John G. Maher. Seven of nine riders finished, some traveling . . . — Map (db m51693) HM
Nebraska (Dawes County), Chadron — 304 — The Fort Pierre-Fort Laramie Trail
From about 1837 until 1850, more than a quarter million buffalo robes bought from Indians and 27 tons of fur company trade goods were hauled over the 300 mile long Fort Pierre-Fort Laramie Trail that followed the White River through this area. First . . . — Map (db m4530) HM
Nebraska (Dawes County), Crawford — 227 — Crawford
Crawford sprang up as a tent city on land owned by homesteader/newspaper correspondent William E. Annin in 1886 when the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad pushed through the Nebraska Panhandle. To Incorporate the town, editor William . . . — Map (db m44254) HM
Nebraska (Dawes County), Fort Robinson State Park — 392 — Buffalo Soldiers at Fort Robinson
Black soldiers of the Ninth and Tenth Cavalry regiments (called "buffalo soldiers" by the Plains Indians) garrisoned Fort Robinson for eighteen years and played an important role in northwestern Nebraska's history. Organized in 1866, the regiments . . . — Map (db m4134) HM
Nebraska (Dawes County), Fort Robinson State Park — 102 — Fort Robinson
In March, 1874, the U.S. Government authorized the establishment of a military camp at the Red Cloud Indian Agency on the White River. Home of some 13,000 Indians, many of whom were hostile, the Agency was one of the most troublesome spots on the . . . — Map (db m4489) HM
Nebraska (Dawson County), Cozad — 182 — Central Platte Valley
Here in Dawson county, much of the early history is concerned with the pioneer trails to the west. The Mormon Trail to Utah and the first transcontinental railroad passed through here on the north side of the Platte River; the Oregon Trail and the . . . — Map (db m68060) HM
Nebraska (Dawson County), Gotenburg — 350 — Swedish Crosses Cemetery
One of the many Swedish settlements in Nebraska during the late nineteenth century was north of Gothenburg in northwestern Dawson County. An enduring symbol of this settlement is Swedish Crosses Cemetery, where three children of Mr. and Mrs. Berg . . . — Map (db m62797) HM
Nebraska (Dawson County), Gothenburg — Dissected Loess Plains
has been designated a --------------------------- National Natural Landmark --------------------------- This site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the nation’s natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of man’s . . . — Map (db m86774) HM
Nebraska (Dawson County), Gothenburg — Original Pony Express Station1854
Erected on the Oregon Trail, four miles east of Fort McPherson, Lincoln County, Nebraska, and used as fur trading post and ranch house. 1860 – 61 Used as Pony Express Station. 1862 – 1931 Used as Overland Trail Stage Station, dwelling, . . . — Map (db m86773) HM
Nebraska (Dawson County), Gothenburg — The Pony Express
      This old station once stood on the upper 96 Ranch west of here and south of the Platte River, on the original Pony Express route. It was moved and restored by Gothenburg Post No. 64, American Legion. Erected by the Gothenburg Chamber of . . . — Map (db m86775) HM
Nebraska (Dawson County), Gothenburg — The Road to Zion
From the late 1840s through the 1860s, an exodus of more than 70,000 Mormons passed by here on their way to their “New Zion” in Utah. Starting from Nauvoo, Illinois in February 1846, the first group of at least 13,000 Mormons crossed . . . — Map (db m86778) HM
Nebraska (Dawson County), Lexington — M2 Bradley Fighting VehicleHeartland Museum of Military Vehicles
This vehicle, not a true tank, is built by FMC Corporation. Named after General Omar Bradley, it first appeared in 1978. It is powered by a Cummins 500 hp, V-8, Diesel engine with a supercharger. The transmission is built by General Electric. The . . . — Map (db m92688) HM
Nebraska (Dawson County), Lexington — M60A1 Main Battle TankHeartland Museum of Military Vehicles
This tank weighs 53 tons with crew and equipment. The armament is one 105 mm main gun, a 7.62, co-axial machine gun and a .50 caliber m85 machine gun on the commanders cupola. The hull and turret are homogeneous steel castings.

The tank is . . . — Map (db m92690) WM

Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — 114 — Big Springs
     The history of Big Springs, northeast of here, has been closely associated with the Union Pacific Railroad since 1867, when a station was established at that point. A nearby spring, from which the station derived its name, provided an . . . — Map (db m68069) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — 382 — Phelps Hotel
The Phelps Hotel was built in 1885 by the Edwin A. Phelps family, who were among the first settlers in the Big Springs area. Also known as the “House of Three Chimneys,” the hotel was the most important nineteenth-century landmark in . . . — Map (db m51249) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — 37 — Sam Bass and the Big Springs Robbery
The first and greatest robbery of a Union Pacific train took place near here on the night of September 18, 1877. The legendary Sam Bass and five companions, after capturing John Barnhart, station-master, and destroying the telegraph, forced Union . . . — Map (db m51231) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — South Platte Station
[Pony Express medallion on top] 1860-61 South Platte Station 1.5 mi. directly south Erected to the intrepid riders and operators 1932 by Deuel Co. — Map (db m51252) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — The Big Spring
Pioneers traveling west on the Oregon Trail discovered this spring that Plains Indians had frequented for centuries. It provided an oasis for man and beast alike in the “Great American Desert.’ In 1867, Union Pacific railroad workers named it . . . — Map (db m51461) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — 113 — The Great Platte River Road
     Since 1841, Nebraska's Platte River Valley has been the historic highway of westward migration. In this area, the Overland Trail divided into two branches, one which followed the north and the other the south forks of the river. Emigrants . . . — Map (db m68070) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — The Lone Tree
A replica of [the] cottonwood tree known as the Lone Tree Station ½ mile from this point. 18 feet in diameter over 100 years old. Said to be the largest from Omaha to Denver.

Landmark for Pony Express, Org. and Calif. Trails, Emigrants . . . — Map (db m51250) HM

Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — The Pony Express
[Map of the Pony Express route] From April 1860 until October 1861 the famed Pony Express riders passed along the south side of the Plate River south of Big Springs. Diamond Springs station was to the southeast. Frontz and Julesburg stations were . . . — Map (db m51247) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — 383 — Waterman Sod House
The Wallace W. and Libby King Waterman sod house, located nine miles north of here on the Day Road, was built about 1886. The original dwelling had three rooms. In 1925 it was enlarged and remodeled by Virgil and Helen Burke Waterman, and the sod . . . — Map (db m51246) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Chappell — B-24J Bomber Crash
During World War II Nebraska was home to eleven air bases, which filled the sky with planes engaged in training aircrews. On June 7, 1944, fifteen B-24 bombers departed from the Lincoln Army Air Base en route to the west coast. During a thunderstorm . . . — Map (db m100094) HM WM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Chappell — Historic Lodgepole Creek Valley
Here is the valley of Lodgepole Creek through which passed historic trails, telegraph lines, and railroads. The famed Pony Express followed the valley in 1860-61. "Nine Mile" Pony Express station was located just southeast of present Chappell; "Pole . . . — Map (db m100093) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Chappell — 9 — Hughes’ Ranch Pony Express StationIn Search of the Pony Express Stations
This marker has text on both sides Dedicated October 4, 2003 Hughes’ Ranch Added Station July 1, 1861 - Nov. 20. 1861 by Deuel County Historical Society James Stretesky Sterling Monument Company Pony . . . — Map (db m79441) HM
Nebraska (Dixon County), Maskell — Mulberry Bend Scenic Overlook
This short trail leads to two overlooks that offer views of a natural, free-flowing segment of the Missouri River. Here, the river still meanders through the countryside much as it did in Lewis and Clark's day. At the first overlook, exhibits . . . — Map (db m15114) HM
Nebraska (Dixon County), Maskell — The Great Missouri River
The Missouri, the continent's longest river, figures prominently in the unfolding of America's saga. Flowing nearby in its 2,341-mile course from the Rocky Mountains to the Mississippi, the Big Muddy is not only loaded with sediment but steeped in . . . — Map (db m15113) HM
Nebraska (Dodge County), Fremont — Dodge County Veterans MemorialAll Gave Some • Some Gave All
. . . — Map (db m58552) WM
Nebraska (Dodge County), Fremont — Fremont's First City-Owned Parking LotNov. 14, 1964
Dedicated in memory of George F. Wolz — Map (db m53141) HM
Nebraska (Dodge County), Fremont — 117 — Mormon Pioneer Trail
The Mormon Pioneer Trail from Nauvoo, Illinois to the Rocky Mountains passed here April 17, 1847. In this vicinity a military-type organization was formed with Brigham Young, Lieutenant General; Stephen Markham, Colonel; John Pack and Shadrach . . . — Map (db m58566) HM
Nebraska (Dodge County), Fremont — Overland Emigrant Trails
This boulder marks the Overland Emigrant Trails through Fremont to Oregon, California, Utah and Colorado Erected Setp. 23, 1912 — Map (db m58554) HM
Nebraska (Dodge County), Fremont — Union Depot1886 — Union Pacific Blazes Trail to Future
The Union Pacific reached Fremont in 1866. The new Union Depot was erected at a cost of $50,000 and gave the approach to the city a dignified and completed appearance, with its winding gravel walks, grass and flower plots and wide frontage. As . . . — Map (db m58553) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — A Little Town That Dreamed of Greatness
Florence was born after the 1854 Kansas-Nebraska Act opened lands west of the Missouri River to speculators and settlers. Build on the grounds of Winter Quarters, founder James C. Mitchell named the new town after his granddaughter, Florence . . . — Map (db m90576) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — A Meeting House for the Saints
Forced to leave their homes along the Mississippi, the Mormons began arriving in the Missouri River Valley in June of 1846. By September, nearly 4,000 refugees had begun to settle in for the winter - laying out blocks and streets, building cabins . . . — Map (db m90578) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — From Indian Lands to the Golden Gate
Florence was a small town with a big history. The Oto, Missouri, and Omaha Indians lived and hunted here. Frenchmen, Canadians and Spaniards traded along the Missouri river. Lewis and Clark's Corps of Discovery made their first contact with Indians . . . — Map (db m90529) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — 130 — Mormon Pioneer Memorial Bridge
This Bridge is on the Mormon Pioneer Trail from Nauvoo, Illinois, to the Rocky Mountains. Driven from their homes by mobs, many of the dispossessed Mormon people crossed the Mississippi River on the ice in February, 1846. From these refugees five . . . — Map (db m90469) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — 50 — The Bank of Florence
The Bank of Florence was chartered by the Nebraska Territorial legislature on January 18, 1856. It was located in this substantial building, constructed during the same year. Sheet steel one quarter inch thick, shipped by river steamboat from . . . — Map (db m90468) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — 81 — The Florence Mill
The Florence Mill, one of the earliest in Nebraska, was constructed by the Mormons at Winter Quarters during the winter of 1846-1847. Supplying both flour and lumber, the water-powered mill enabled the Mormons to cope more readily with the adverse . . . — Map (db m90460) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — The Florence Mill1846
On this lot stands the old mill build during the westward migration of the Mormons. Purchased by Jacob Weber in 1860. Now owned by his descendants. — Map (db m90461) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — The Mormon Pioneer Trail
Fleeing heated religious and political hostility and persecution, many members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (widely known as Mormons) abruptly fled their homes in Nauvoo, Illinois in February 1846. Unprepared for the cold of . . . — Map (db m90577) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — The Road to Zion
From the late 1840s through the 1860s, an exodus of more than 70,000 Mormons passed by here on their way to their "New Zion" in Utah. Starting from Nauvoo, Illinois in February 1846, the first group of at least 13,000 Mormons crossed into Iowa to . . . — Map (db m90464) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — 19 — Winter Quarters
Here in 1846 an oppressed people fleeing from a vengeful mob found a haven in the wilderness. Winter Quarters, established under the direction of the Mormon leader Brigham Young, sheltered more than 3,000 people during the winter of 1846-1847. . . . — Map (db m90527) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — "Among the Valiant"
American servicemen have displayed exemplary courage in all our nation's wars. They have sacrificed their time, their energy, given their blood and thousands their lives, to help keep America free. This flag is a special tribute to the Medal of . . . — Map (db m35168) WM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Capt. Lewis...will...give us accounts of new things onlyThomas Jefferson, February 28, 1803
Between 1804 and 1806, the Corps of Discovery traveled from St. Louis, Missouri, to the Pacific coast and back. President Jefferson instructed Meriwether Lewis to collect information on "the soil & face of the country, [its] growth & vegetable . . . — Map (db m72050) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — endeavor to make yourself acquainted...with...the nationsThomas Jefferson's instructions to Meriwether Lewis, June 20, 1803
In August 1804, members of the Expedition visited villages like this one, homes to the Otoe and Missouria who lived in what is today Omaha. Planning to invite these tribes to a council, or meeting, the explorers found the villages deserted. The . . . — Map (db m72049) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Nature exerted herself to butify the SeneryWilliam Clark, July 4, 1804
The tallgrass prairies of Nebraska stood in stark contrast to the forested homelands of the explorers. Dense grasses, some taller than a man, covered the land. Lewis and Clark noted beauty in the vast reaches of waist-high grarsses, a beauty . . . — Map (db m72048) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — the Council was heldSergeant Charles Floyd, August 3, 1804
Near here, the Corps of Discovery held its first council, making speeches and presenting gifts to the Otoe and Missouria. Communicating through an interpreter, members of the Expedition believed their messages were clear. But were they? This . . . — Map (db m72057) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Westwardly by the WatersAlbert Gallatin letter to Thomas Jefferson, April 13, 1803
In 1803 the Missouri River carried the hopes of the young United States in its dark and unpredictable waters. President Thomas Jefferson sought a "direct & practicable water communication across the continent, for the purposes of commerce." The . . . — Map (db m72059) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — A River of Change
The Missouri River is the longest river in the United States. It stretches 2,341 miles from its headwaters at Three Forks, Montana, to where it meets the Mississippi River at St. Louis, Missouri. Its watershed covers one-sixth of the United . . . — Map (db m72062) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — A River of Hope
A river forever changed by the power of humans flows beneath this bridge. For more than a century, man has worked to tame the natural cycles of the Missouri River and exploit its power. There are benefits. Dams hold back floodwaters that once . . . — Map (db m72066) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Alfred Sorenson1850 - 1939
Alfred Sorenson, the doyen of Omaha newspapermen, was a picturesque figure familiar around Omaha. His varied career led him to seek the offices of U.S. Senator twice and Congressman once. He was unsuccessful all three times, but remarked that he . . . — Map (db m58237) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Andrew Jackson Poppleton(1830 - 1896)
Andrew was born on July 25, 1830, in Oakland County, Michigan, one of seven children, and was reared on a farm. His father, William, had served in the Continental Army during the American Revolution. Andrew attended the University of Michigan, and . . . — Map (db m58201) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Anheuser-Busch Beer Depot 1887The Old Market Historic Walking Tour
Omaha was a rich brew of immigrants, and many brought with them a well-developed taste for hops, giving rise to a half-dozen local breweries in the late 19th century. In 1887, Anheuser-Busch of St. Louis built a distribution complex in Omaha, . . . — Map (db m35267) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Baum Iron Company Building 1880The Old Market Historic Walking Tour
This building has carried the Baum Iron name since the company purchased and occupied the property in 1905. Baum Iron Company was established in 1857 and was originally across the street. At one time this firm was the largest wholesaler of iron . . . — Map (db m31368) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Birthsite of Gerald R. Ford
38th President of the United States “My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over. Our Constitution works. Our Great Republic is a government of laws and not of men. Here, the People rule…” President Ford’s . . . — Map (db m58089) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Boys Town Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to Boys Town's sons & daughters who have served their country in the Armed Forces July 1991 Honoring Boys Town Alumni who gave the Ultimate Sacrifice Ask not what your country can do for you ask what you can do . . . — Map (db m58573) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 447 — Buffalo Bill at the Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition and Indian Congress of 1898
William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody held the first official performance of his Wild West show just half a mile northeast of here on May 19, 1883. Eight thousand people attended the premiere at the Omaha Driving Park near Eighteenth and . . . — Map (db m33040) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 30 — Capitol Hill
This site on Capitol Hill was for a decade the location of Nebraska's second territorial capitol. The building was erected here in 1857 and 1858 and served until the seat of government was removed to Lincoln in 1868. Acting-Governor Cuming . . . — Map (db m33415) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 428 — Captain William Clark and Private Reuben Field
On July 27, 1804, Lewis and Clark's Corps of Discovery left their “White Catfish” camp and proceeded up the Missouri River. After traveling some distance, Clark “took one man R. Field and walked on Shore with a View of Examoning . . . — Map (db m32964) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 220 — Central High School
The first session of Omaha High School, now Central High School, was held on November 10, 1859, in Nebraska's territorial capitol on Ninth Street between Douglas and Farnam. Following the removal of the territorial government from Omaha, Nebraska's . . . — Map (db m33252) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Congregation of Israel - 1884
Jews have been part of Nebraska’s social, economic and political life since the mid 1800’s. It was not until 1871 that the small Jewish community in Omaha grew large enough to organize and formally found Congregation of Israel. On Sept. . . . — Map (db m40743) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 210 — Crook House
On April 27, 1875, General George A. Crook assumed command of the Department of the Platte, which then included Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, and part of Montana and Idaho. When the headquarters was shifted from downtown Omaha to Fort Omaha (Omaha . . . — Map (db m33113) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Dundee Memorial Park Streetcar Wall
Dundee, Omaha's first suburb, was connected to downtown by the streetcar. Dundee was literally the end-of-the-line. The streetcars reversed their course just west of this site. In 1891, a steam driven "trolley" and then a horse-drawn car brought . . . — Map (db m58356) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Father Flanagan Historic House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m58484) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 226 — Father Flanagan's Boys' Home(The Original "Boys Town")
Boys Town was founded as a home and school for homeless, abandoned, neglected or otherwise underprivileged boys, regardless of color or creed, by Father Edward J. Flanagan (1886-1948) on December 10, 1917. The first Father Flanagan's Boy's Home at . . . — Map (db m53109) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — First Lady Betty Ford
Betty Ford personally dedicated this Rose Garden to the People of Omaha July 12, 1980 — Map (db m58062) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — First Mass in Omaha
This plaque commemorates the First Holy Sacrifice of the Mass celebrated in Omaha Nebraska - May 14, 1855 by Father William Emonds Erected May 1959 — Map (db m35184) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — First National Bank BuildingGraham, Burnham & Co. — Constructed 1916
Has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m78478) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Fort Lisa
Built near this site in 1807 by Manuel Lisa, trader and indian commissioner, through whose influence the Omaha, Pawnee, Ponca, Otoe and Sioux tribes remained loyal to the United States during the War of 1812. — Map (db m7892) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 75 — Fort Omaha
A military post was first established here in 1868 and named Sherman Barracks after the famous Civil War general, William Tecumseh Sherman. The post's name was soon changed to Omaha Barracks and, in 1878, to Fort Omaha. In 1879, General George . . . — Map (db m33057) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 4 — Fort Omaha Balloon SchoolFort Omaha Walking Tour
Until after World War I, no other method equaled a soldier’s ability to send intelligence information directly to the ground by telephone from an observation balloon. Fort Omaha entered America’s balloon and aviation history in April 1909 when . . . — Map (db m58151) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 10 — Fort Omaha Fire StationFort Omaha Walking Tour
Originally a filtration plant constructed in 1912, this building was remodeled and enlarged to become the Post Exchange Building in 1923. All incoming or outgoing calls, whether emergency or routine, would pass through the Post switchboard housed . . . — Map (db m58118) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 8 — Fort Omaha GuardhouseFort Omaha Walking Tour
To maintain discipline among a large garrison, Fort Omaha commanders strictly followed the military code of the frontier era. Facing occasional problems with drunkenness, insubordination, fighting and desertion, officers were quick to punish . . . — Map (db m58122) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 14 — Fort Omaha Headquarters BuildingFort Omaha Walking Tour
Constructed in 1906, this double barracks building housed noncommissioned officers of the U.S. Army Signal Corps, which had reactivated Fort Omaha in 1905. During World War I, this building served as South Post Headquarters for the Army’s first . . . — Map (db m58106) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 13 — Fort Omaha HospitalFort Omaha Walking Tour
Maintaining the health and well-being of soldiers at Fort Omaha was accomplished only after overcoming serious obstacles. One such obstacle was the shortage of potable water. By 1869 only two of the Fort’s wells were considered safe for . . . — Map (db m58090) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 6 — Fort Omaha Knights of Columbus Assembly HallFort Omaha Walking Tour
During World War I, citizen participation in relief and aid societies was exceptional across America. Omaha’s Red Cross chapter led all cities in the country in per capita membership. In addition to the Red Cross providing a canteen at Fort . . . — Map (db m58149) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 3 — Fort Omaha Officers RowFort Omaha Walking Tour
Built in 1906, Fort Omaha’s “Officers Row” typifies the architecture appropriate for officers’ residences on an army post in the early 20th century. Large and impressively formal, the houses lack elaborate exterior decoration . . . — Map (db m58156) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 9 — Fort Omaha Post Exchange and GymnasiumFort Omaha Walking Tour
In 1880, nearly a dozen years after Fort Omaha was established, indoor hot and cold water bathing facilities were installed – three shower rooms for enlisted men and one for officers. By the end of the 19th century a new attitude towards the . . . — Map (db m58120) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 12 — Fort Omaha Quartermaster DepotFort Omaha Walking Tour
Even after the 1869 completion of the transcontinental railroad, the Army relied on mules and wagons to outfit its isolated posts. The Department of the Platte, headquartered at Fort Omaha, paid over $700,000 to acquire and transport troops and . . . — Map (db m58107) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Gallagher Building1888
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m58000) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 2 — General Crook's Headquarters at Fort OmahaFort Omaha Walking Tour
Upon the recommendation of Lt. General William T. Sherman, in 1866 the Adjutant General’s office created the Department of the Platte which included present-day Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Montana and a portion of southeastern Idaho. As . . . — Map (db m58154) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Hanscom Park Flower Garden
Land for Hanscom Park was donated in 1872 by Andrew J. Hanscom and James Megeath. Improvements including flower beds, lakes, cascades and fountains greatly changed the site’s rugged character. In time, the park was referred to as “one of . . . — Map (db m57998) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Hanscom Park Lagoon
Hanscom Park, Omaha’s oldest remaining park, was designed by landscape architect H.W.S. Cleveland in 1889. Early improvements were described in the 1898 Park Commissioner’s Report: “Two lakes, a cascade, extensive flower beds, two and . . . — Map (db m57979) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 287 — Historic Prospect Hill -- Omaha's Pioneer Cemetery
Founded in 1858 by Byron Reed, early Omaha real estate developer and financier, Prospect Hill is the final resting place for over 15,000 citizens. While burial permit #1 was issued for Territorial Legislator Alonzo Salisbury on October 4, 1858, . . . — Map (db m53108) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 1 — History of Fort OmahaFort Omaha Walking Tour
As a result of a major confrontation from 1866-1868 between the U.S. Army and the Lakota (Sioux), the U.S. government signed a treaty agreeing that the Army would abandon several posts along the Bozeman Trail. By this time, the Union Pacific had . . . — Map (db m58157) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — J.P. Cooke Building 1885-1889The Old Market Historic Walking Tour
Omaha's first municipal swimming pool, "The New Natatorium," originated in the basement of the westernmost of these three buildings; and vestiges of it can still be seen there. The ornamental work at the building's top announces that E. Homan . . . — Map (db m35190) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — James G. Megeath1824 - 1906
Born in Virginia in 1824, James Megeath was the eldest of 10 children. By age 20, he had become a cattle and sheep trader. Struck by gold fever, he went to Calaveras County, California, in 1851, operating a general merchantise store for three . . . — Map (db m58234) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — James M. Woolworth1829 - 1906
Born in 1829 in Onondaga County, New York, Mr. Woolworth graduated with high honors from Hamilton College in 1849, and took up the study of law. After two years practicing in Syracuse, New York, he determined to go west and locate in the new . . . — Map (db m58345) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Jan Rosicky1845 - 1910

Bohemian patriot and journalist who sincerely labored for the elevation and liberty of his countrymen.

To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die. — Map (db m83239) HM

Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Johan and Sophia Ahmanson(1827 - 1891) and (18? - 1894)
Johan Ahmanson was born on April 7, 1827, in Smaland, Sweden. At age six he was taken to live with a farmer, for whom he worked until age eighteen. He became a master bookbinder and emigrated to Denmark in 1849. There he was recruited by the . . . — Map (db m58207) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — John Pierrre Cabanne's
John Pierre Cabanne's pioneer fur-trading post was 385 feet southeast of this spot. — Map (db m7893) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — John Wesley Nichols1839 - 1910
John Wesley Nichols was born January 28, 1839, in Crawford County, Pennsylvania, to Samuel and Katharine Maxwell Nichols. Little is known of his early years. In 1860 he married Sarah Elizabeth Dearborn, also born in Crawford County. Nichols . . . — Map (db m58277) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Joseph Francis Bauman1822 - 1876
Born in Germany, Joseph Francis Bauman came to Omaha in the early 1860s. Like many others, he may have been escaping the wars that plagued Central Europe at that time. In 1863, with his partner John Green, he purchased a brewery from a Mr. McCombe . . . — Map (db m58338) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Labor

This monument, titled Labor, is a salute to the dedication and hard work of all those who built the grand city of Omaha. It is a tribute to the men and women who worked for and continue to forge a better life for themselves, their . . . — Map (db m83300) HM

Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 340 — Lewis and Clark CampsiteJuly 27, 1804
At the camp established very near here Captain Clark wrote about the "butifull Breeze from the N W. this evening which would have been verry agreeable, had the Misquiters been tolerably Pacifick, but thy were rageing all night." Clark may have . . . — Map (db m7886) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 310 — Malcolm “X”
El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz was born Malcolm Little at University Hospital in Omaha, Nebraska, May 19, 1925. He was the son of Earl and Louise Little, 3448 Pinkney Street. Reverend Little helped organize the Universal Negro Improvement Association. . . . — Map (db m33050) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Millard Block 1880-1881The Old Market Historic Walking Tour
Omaha capitalist Ezra Millard, a former mayor of Omaha and the man for whom a western suburb was named, erected the four-story Millard Block in 1880-81. The first tenants were Tootle, Maul & Co., wholesale dry goods; Reed, Jones & Co., boots and . . . — Map (db m35273) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Missouri River FloodJune 2011 - September 2011

Matthew Placzek's Labor Monument Became the Symbol of the 2011 Flood.

The 2011 Missouri River Flood was triggered by record snowfall in the Rocky Mountains of Montana and Wyoming and near record spring rainfall in the upper Missouri . . . — Map (db m83302) HM

Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Morse Coe BuildingThe Old Market Historic Walking Tour
Architects Findley and Shields designed this five-story brick, built in 1892-93 for $40,000. Footwear wholesalers W.V. Morse & Co. and Charles A. Coe and Company combined to manufacture a thousand shoes daily here, with sales focused on the western . . . — Map (db m35266) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Msgr. Edward Joseph FlanaganLeabeg, Ballymoe — 13 July 1886 - 15 May 1948
Founder of Boys Town Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.A. "The work will continue, you see, whether I am there or not, because it is God's work, not mine." Msgr. Edward J. Flanagan Mol an oige agus tiocfaidh si Ni neart go cur le cheile . . . — Map (db m58482) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 5 — Observation Balloon Training at Fort OmahaFort Omaha Walking Tour
After nine years of inactivity, Fort Omaha reopened in 1905 as a school for noncommissioned Signal Corps officers. A structure to house the army’s only dirigible (balloon airship) was completed in 1908, and the first dirigible flew in April 1909. . . . — Map (db m58150) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 155 — Omaha
Buried here at Ak-Sar-Ben is Omaha, one of the immortals of the American turf. His sire Gallant Fox was the 1930 winner of the Triple Crown, and Omaha succeeded him to this title in 1935. To win the Triple Crown a three-year-old must win the . . . — Map (db m66486) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Omaha Centennial
To commemorate the sturdy pioneers who in 1854 crossed the Missouri River to establish the Town of Omaha, more than 500 committee members and several thousand of the city's quarter-million citizens one hundred years later conducted a twelve-month . . . — Map (db m88602) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Omaha Firefighters MemorialHonor • Tradition
As pioneers settled in small towns and villages across Nebraska, the shout of “Fire” summoned fear and panic in every person who heard it. If they were lucky, bucket brigades could save part of a burning building and its surrounding . . . — Map (db m58037) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Omaha Firehouse 1903-1904The Old Market Historic Walking Tour
In 1903, George Fisher and Harry Lawrie designed Fire Substation No. 1 in the then-popular Chateauesque style. The gabled third floor gave the building the look of a French chateau. On April 9, 1917, firefighters were sunning themselves out front . . . — Map (db m35244) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Omaha Union Station
No other improvement...can equal in utility the railroad. Abraham Lincoln March 9, 1832 Dedicated by the railways of Omaha to the service, comfort and convenience of the people — Map (db m35264) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — On The Wings of Angels 9/11 Memorial
Dedicated September 11, 2007 in honor of the Victims and Heroes of September 11, 2001 Created by Littleton Alston — Map (db m35166) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 11 — Ordnance MagazineFort Omaha Walking Tour
This small, tin-roofed building hardly suggests its central role in the mission of the officers and troops once stationed at Fort Omaha. Constructed in 1883-84, the ordnance magazine was the chief storage place for weapons and ammunition. It . . . — Map (db m58117) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — People, Places, and Stories
The joint efforts of many individuals and groups – among them military men and scientists, a president and an enslaved man, French-speaking boatmen and American Indians, women and men – determined the fate of the Corps of Discovery. . . . — Map (db m57978) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Preserving Our Heritage
The Midwest Regional Office, located in Omaha since 1937, assists NPS sites across the heartland of the United States. Inside this building, more than 200 people – from architects to wildland fire managers – work to sustain the . . . — Map (db m57970) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — President Gerald R. Ford
The 38th President of the United States revisited this site July 12, 1980 — Map (db m58061) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — President's House
In August 1905, the Fort Omaha post was reestablished with a new mission. The War Department designated Fort Omaha as a place of instruction for the technical duties in connection with the Signal Corps of the Army. With this change, the War . . . — Map (db m58158) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 7 — Quartermaster's Office and CommissaryFort Omaha Walking Tour
Throughout the frontier era, the Quartermaster’s Department oversaw post construction, supply procurement and transportation. It worked closely with the Subsistence Department which purchased and assigned rations. To both agencies, Fort Omaha . . . — Map (db m58131) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Right Reverend Monsignor Edward J. Flanagan1886 - 1948
In memory of Rt. Rev. Monsignor Edward J. Flanagan Founder of Boys Town and Recipient of Variety Clubs First Humanitarian Award His dictum: "There is no such thing as a bad boy" — Map (db m58481) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Site of Union Pacific's Omaha Shops
You are standing at the site of the original Union Pacific Omaha Shops. From this point a railroad was begun that would fulfill a national destiny. Even before Union Pacific was an American icon, it was an American dream. It was a . . . — Map (db m58038) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Skinner Macaroni Building 1914-1915The Old Market Historic Walking Tour

Increasing business led the Skinner Manufacturing Company to build this six-story brick building in 1914. Designed by architect Harry Lawrie, it was doubled in size with the addition of 66 feet to the east a year later. The new building was . . . — Map (db m83293) HM

Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Spanish-American War Memorialerected 1900
This beautiful monument to the soldiers of the Spanish-American War was erected in 1900 by the Lee Forby Encampment #1 of the Spanish-American War Veterans. Captain Lee Forby, born January 3, 1871, was wounded at the Battle of San Francisco del . . . — Map (db m58332) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Territory and State of Nebraska
Nebraska, originally part of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, became a territory of the United States Government in 1854 when Congress passed the Kansas-Nebraska Act. The Nebraska Territory included parts of Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, . . . — Map (db m58063) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — The City of Omaha, Nebraska
The settlement of Omaha began in 1854 with the opening of the Nebraska Territory. The following year Omaha was selected as the Nebraska Territorial capital. Omaha was incorporated as a city in 1857. The capital was moved from Omaha to Lincoln in . . . — Map (db m58060) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — The Omaha Bolt, Nut and Screw Building1889

has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior

Renovated 1992 Alley-Poyner Architect Lund-Ross Constructors — Map (db m83241) HM

Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — The Right Reverend & Mrs Robert Harper Clarkson
In loving memory of The Right Reverend Robert Harper Clarkson (1826 - 1884) Bishop of Nebraska and Dakota Territories First Episcopal Bishop of the State of Nebraska Founder of Trinity Cathedral Founder and Sponsor of Nebraska's . . . — Map (db m35188) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — The Road to Omaha
Presented by College World Series of Omaha, Inc. to the City of Omaha June 7, 1999 In Celebration of 50 Years of NCAA Division I Baseball Championship Games in Omaha John Lajba, Sculptor Moved from its Original Location . . . — Map (db m57999) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — The Securities Building1917
. . . — Map (db m35140) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 406 — Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition of 1898
At this site in 1898, Omaha hosted the Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition. Following the model of other “world's fairs,” the exposition highlighted the “Progress of the West,” drawing over 2.5 million . . . — Map (db m33018) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 400 — Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition of 1898
In 1898, following the financial panic of 1893 and the droughts of 1894-95, a world-class exposition was held in Omaha under the guidance of Gurdon W. Wattles and other civic leaders. The Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition emulated . . . — Map (db m33044) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Trinity Episcopal Cathedral
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m35186) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Union Walk
This Union Walk is a reminder to all of our citizens, as well as a salute to the unionized men and women from all walks of life, who invested their energy, the sweat of their brow, and sometimes even their lives to forge a better life for . . . — Map (db m63498) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Veterans Memorial

Dedicated in grateful tribute to the men and women of Czech descent who served in the Armed Forces of the United States — Map (db m83240) WM

Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — William Davis Brown1813 - 1868
William Brown is credited as Omaha's founder (although not its first settler). He operated a Missouri River ferry from Council Bluffs and was a principal in the company that first developed the Omaha townsite. Mr. Brown came west as a young man . . . — Map (db m58275) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 404 — William Henry Jackson1843 - 1942
From 1867 to 1869 the first photography studio of William Henry Jackson, renowned photographer, artist, and explorer of the Old West, stood on the northwest corner of this block. His autobiography, Time Exposure, reports that in 1869 Omaha . . . — Map (db m35193) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Windsor HotelThe Old Market Historic Walking Tour
The Windsor Hotel, designed in the Italianate style, was constructed in two phases – the east wing was completed in 1885, and an addition to the west was finished by 1887. It was designed to be a workingman’s hotel, and with the proximity to . . . — Map (db m35254) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Woodmen of the World
On this site Woodmen of the World Life Insurance Society was organized June 6, 1890 — Map (db m30790) HM

552 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 352
Paid Advertisement