|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Campobello — Campobello's Resort Hotels|
|In 1881, a group of American businessmen (called themselves the Campobello Company) purchased most of Campobello Island. In an era of summer-long vacations and great summer resorts, the company hoped, by promoting Campobello's charms, to attract, well-to-do people with extensive leisure time to its hotels. Both the Canadian and American press promoted Campobello as a summer resort. Built in 1881 on the northern end of Friar's Bay, the Owen was the first and most luxurious of the company's three . . . — Map (db m25467) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Campobello — James and Sara Roosevelt Cottage|
|On this site, in 1885, James Roosevelt, businessman and country gentleman of Hyde Park, New york, built the cottage shown below. The Cottage was intended to be a summer retreat for his wife, Sara Delano, and their son Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Franklin spent many of his boyhood summers at this cottage. Miss Eleanor Roosevelt was a guest here in 1904. In 1905, Franklin and Eleanor were married. In 1907, Mrs. Sara Roosevelt purchased the Kuhn cottage and gave it to the married couple. The Kuhn . . . — Map (db m25456) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Campobello — Roosevelt Campobello Park|
|Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson and Mrs. Lester B. Pearson Together opened the Roosevelt Campobello Park on the twenthieth day of August 1964 Lyndon Baines Johnson President of the United States of America and Lester Bowles Pearson Prime Minister of Canada Together laid the cornerstone of this Reception Centre on the twenty-first day of August, 1966 Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother declared the building open on the thirteenth day of July, 1967 — Map (db m25394) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Campobello — Summer Activities|
|The Campobello hotels welcomed socializing between their guests and the summer cottage owners. Summer colonists and hotel guests exchanged visits and participated in hotel activities such as excursions aboard the company's small steamboats, field days, dances, and the use of tennis and croquet courts, billiards tables and bowling alleys. During 1881 and 1882, the Campobello Company built a hotel pier, roads to Glensevern Lake and Raccoon Beach, a bridge across Glensevern and another at Eastern . . . — Map (db m25462) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Campobello — The Summer Colony|
|Owners of the Campobello Company hoped to enhance their one million-dollar investment by subdividing their land and selling the smaller lots to hotel guests, island residents, and others. Only a few of the lots were actually sold and built upon. however, at least nine cottages were constructed between 1884 and 1902 on land purchased from the company. In addition, two existing homes were purchased and transformed into more elaborate summer homes. These summer residences became Campobello's . . . — Map (db m25471) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), St. Andrews — Blockhouse 101 — Introduction aux blockhaus|
|English on left
What kind of house?
A blockhouse is a modest fortified building with a distinctive overhanging upper level. In 18th- and 19th-century North America, both Britain and the United States built many blockhouses for defence purposes. They were usually constructed of local material such as wood and could be put up relatively quickly and cheaply. This blockhouse is one of three built in St. Andrews to defend the batteries of guns that protected the harbour and river, . . . — Map (db m77366) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), St. Andrews — Lest We Forget — They died that we may be free|
Anning, William • Bartlett, George Leonard • Boone, George • Cork, Alfred • Crichton, Clarence M. • Greenlaw, Ernest • Grimmer, Harold Mackie • Jack, Edward • Key, William James • Markee, Percy • McMullin, Herbert • MacQuoid, Charles Loren • MacQuoid, Fraser • Raymond Paul, Alexander Thompson • Polis, Joseph • Purton, Frank • Quinn, Thomas • Reid, Otis • Richie, Clifford • Rogers, Thomas • Storr, Melbourne Roy • Stuart, Robert Albert • Williamson, Frederick S. • Woodbury, Frederick A. . . . — Map (db m77394) WM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), St. Andrews — St. Andrews Blockhouse — Le Blockhaus de St. Andrews — (West Point Blockhouse)|
|This marker consists of two side-by-side plaques, one in English and the other in French. English:
The West Point Blockhouse and a battery were erected by the townspeople of St. Andrews at the outbreak of the War of 1812-14 in anticipation of a seaborne attack from the United States. Along with other defensive positions they were manned by local militia and British regulars throughout the War. Later the Blockhouse served as a barracks and as a storehouse. It is one of the few examples . . . — Map (db m77240) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), St. Andrews — St. Andrews Historic District — Arrondissement Historique de St. Andrews|
Founded by Loyalists in 1783, St. Andrews is a fine and rare surviving example of a Canadian town whose plan and character clearly reflect its 18th-century origins. The town retains the four key elements of a British colonial settlement of that period; a gridiron plan, provision for public spaces, well-defined sites for defensive works, and a common area surrounding the original townsite to provide a clear delineation between settled and non-settled area. St. Andrews is further . . . — Map (db m77398) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), St. Andrews — St. Croix River — La Rivière Sainte-Croix|
From the Chiputneticook Lakes, the waters of the St. Croix River tumble through rolling Appalachian scenery to one of the most historic estuaries in Canada, at Passamaquoddy Bay. Here, French colonization in North America began in 1604 on St. Croix Island. The river was travelled for millennia by native fishermen and traders and as an international border, British Loyalist and others later crossed these waters to contribute to the founding of Canada. Today, the St. Croix’s . . . — Map (db m77395) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), St. Andrews — Task Force Afghanistan — 2002-2011|
|To commemorate the men and women serving in the Canadian Arms Forces and to honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice while serving Canada and the people of Afghanistan. — Map (db m77433) WM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), St. Andrews — The 200 Million Year Wait is Over!|
|Kingsbrae Garden welcomes on of the world’s oldest and rarest trees, Wollemia nobilis; the only one in Canada. An epic journey for a historic little tree, across 90 million years and 10,000 miles. from Wollemi National Park’s Blue Mountains of Australia - “down under” - to the great white north.
The wollemis have outlived their prehistoric cousins, aunts and uncles for millions of years. Since dinosaurs roared about the Earth to the present electronic era, a few wollemi . . . — Map (db m77397) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), St. Andrews — Two hundred years and counting — Jeune de deux cents ans|
|English on left
Against the odds
Many blockhouses were built in North America, but few have survived. Why is this one still here? Throughout the 19th century the St. Andrews Blockhouse was used for storage and occasionally as a barracks by the militia. In the 1860s, during a brief period of tension with the United States, it again became an important component of civic defenses, but its military role declined soon after.
Part of who we are
By the late 1800s, St. . . . — Map (db m77241) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), St. Andrews — War of 1812: Defending St. Andrews — Guerre de 1812: La defense de St. Andrews|
|English on left
No hard feelings
Have a look across the St. Croix River to the land on the other side of Navy Island; that’s the United States you can see! When the War of 1812 broke out, the citizen of St. Andrews had little to fear from their neighbors in Maine. Not everyone in New England was in favor of the war: trade with Atlantic Canada was brisk and around here the main threat to security was from privateering, not invasion. Despite the conflict, resolutions were passed . . . — Map (db m77363) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), St. Andrews — Wartime legacies — L’heritage de la guerre|
|English on left
St. Andrews’ citizens step up
In 1812, St. Andrews was a young town, founded not long before by Loyalists from New England fleeing the American Revolution. A modest fortification - Fort Tipperary - had been built in 1808 above the town. Citizens were concerned that the fort did not provide enough protection for the harbour and river from privateering raids. The town quickly built three batteries, which military engineers believed ineffective - and indeed possibly . . . — Map (db m77362) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), St. Andrews — Welcome, Enjoy your visit! — Bienvenue, Bonne visite!|
|English on left
Welcome to St. Andrews Blockhouse National Historic Site, part of Parks Canada’s diverse and ever-growing system of national park, national historic sites and national marine conservation area.
Wartime building spree
The War of 1812 was fought between Great Britain and the United States from 1812 to 1815, mostly on battlefields in present-day Ontario, Quebec, and several American states. In Atlantic Canada, the war brought about increased economic prosperity . . . — Map (db m77361) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), St. Stephen — St. Stephen Post Office — Bureau de Post de St. Stephen|
Built in 1885-1887, this building was constructed to house the post office, customs and internal revenue. Designed under federal chief architect Thomas Fuller, the structure is one of a series of building erected to establish a federal presence throughout the country. This is a fine example of late 19th century design in its picturesque composition and in the varied colours and textures of the exterior building materials. The round-arched doors and windows and the decorative . . . — Map (db m77238) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), St. Stephen — The Milltown Cotton Mill Workers Monument — Ce monument est dédié aux travailleurs des usines de coton de Milltown|
|English on left
They came from homes still standing in Milltown and St. Stephens. They were joined by experienced textile workers from England, Scotland, America and French Canada. The included young women, recruited from small towns and villages across the Maritimes. Together with earlier immigrants from Ireland, England and Scotland, they moved to factory work from the declining lumbering and shipbuilding industries. Their sweat and toil powered the second largest cotton mill in . . . — Map (db m77234) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Welshpool — Campobello Company and Hotels — Le Campobello Company et les Hôtels|
Although visitors had been coming to the island since 1855, Campobello's summer trade did not really prosper until the 1880s - years of long summer vacations and great resorts. A group of Boston and New York businessmen bought most of the island in 1881. The new owners called themselves the Campobello Company; their plan was to promote the island as a summer resort. They hoped to lure a wealthy clientele with extensive leisure time to the island, let them enjoy the area's many charms, . . . — Map (db m63639) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Welshpool — Friar's Head / Le Cap Friar|
Friar's Head takes its name from the stone pillar or stack (photo 1) that rises from the beach directly below the observation deck. While occupying Eastport, the British navy was said to have used the stone pillar for target practice, altering its outline to that of a hooded monk or Friar in deep contemplation.
Native American Passamaquoddy legend referred to this rock as the Stone Maiden. The legend speaks of a young brave leaving on a long journey, telling his lover to sit . . . — Map (db m63629) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Welshpool — Lubec, Maine|
| About 1840, a canal connecting Johnson and South Bays was dug in North Lubec and a dam constructed there to harness tidal energy to power plaster mills. Gypsum (the raw product used to make plaster) and grindstones from the Maritimes were important trade goods. Lubec’s mills manufactured plaster as late as 1858. In 1874, shipping traffic to and from Lubec was so extensive that the U.S. Coast Guard constructed a life-saving station at West Quoddy Head.
About that time, passenger ferries . . . — Map (db m54995) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Welshpool — Lubec, Maine|
| Lubec's known history began at a Passamaquoddy Indian encampment at Mill Creek in what came to be called Seward's Neck (now North Lubec). French settlers later came to those shores in the early 1700s, but shortly afterward were driven away by the British. Resettlement occurred around 1776 when squatters settled Seward's Neck and Moose Island, both incorporated into the town of Eastport in 1798 and having a population of 244. Many of the settlers were Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and western . . . — Map (db m55023) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Welshpool — Mulholland Point / La pointe Mulholland|
| [English version]
Built in 1885, the Mulholland Point Lighthouse guided many small coasters and freighters taking the shorter and foul weather-protected route through the narrow passage between Campobello and Lubec. Steamships, carrying freight and passengers, many of whom were bound for Campobello's resort hotels, could pass through the narrows only when the tide was high.
The lighthouse's white octagonal tower is 9.7 metres (32 feet) tall, post and timber-framed, and covered with cedar . . . — Map (db m54894) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Welshpool — Mulholland Point / La Pointe Mulholland|
Built in 1885, the Mulholland Point Lighthouse (photo 1) served as a guide for the many small coasters and freighters taking the shorter and more foul weather-protected route through the Lubec Narrows. Steamships, such as the Penobscot (photo 2), sailing between Boston, Portland, and Eastport in the 1890s could only travel through the Narrows when the tide was high. Otherwise, they had to steam around the eastern side of Campobello.
The first automobiles brought to the island . . . — Map (db m63593) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Welshpool — Panoramic View of Cottages — Vue Panoramique des Résidences d'Éte|
Two of the Campobello Company's founders, Alex S. Porter and Samuel Wells, and several of the luxury hotel visitors, including James Roosevelt and families by the name of Sturgis, Cochrane, Prince, and Pell purchased land and refurbished or built large cottages. Five cottages remain today: the Prince, Roosevelt, Hubbard, Wells-Shober, and Johnston cottages in what is now the Roosevelt Campobello International Park's historic core.
This circa 1914 photo identifies the various . . . — Map (db m63641) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Welshpool — Passamaquoddy Tidal Power Project — Projet de Centrale Électrique Marée Motrice|
During the years FDR summered on Campobello, the daughter of one of Campobello's summer colonists married Dexter P. Cooper, an eminent American engineer. Cooper studied the tremendous rise and fall of Passamaquoddy Bay's tides and became obsessed with the potential of generating electricity from the 2 billion cubic metres (70 billion cubic feet) of seawater that entered and left the bay twice each day.
Passamaquoddy tides are among the highest in the world, and range from a maximum . . . — Map (db m63611) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Welshpool — Passamaquoddy Tribe / La Tribu Passamaquoddy|
Passamaquoddy Bay takes its name from the Native American Passamaquoddy Tribe. The word means People of the Pollock-Spearing Place. The Passamaquoddy have a rich heritage, once occupying much of what is now eastern Maine and western New Brunswick. They lived inland, seasonally, where during the colder months they subsisted mainly by hunting and fishing. During the warmer months, they moved to the shore (where there were cooler temperatures and fewer biting flies) to harvest abundant . . . — Map (db m63617) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Welshpool — President Franklin Delano Roosevelt — 1933 - 1945|
| The Great Depression 1929-1941
The depression was world-wide. In the U.S., the banking system collapsed and 12.8 million people were unemployed. Hardest hit were youth, minorities, the elderly, and workers in the consumer durables industries. There was widespread hunger and suffering as communities ran out of charitable and government relief. FDR's "New Deal" programs, some more successful than others, helped to stem national despair and boost public confidence.
La Crise économique . . . — Map (db m54783) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Welshpool — Roosevelt Campobello International Park — Le Parc International Roosevelt de Campobello|
The Roosevelt Campobello International Park is a unique example of international cooperation - jointly administered, staffed, and funded by the peoples of Canada and the United States. Established by international treaty in 1964, the 1,134-hectare (2800-acre) park remains a symbol of the close relationship between our two countries. When she declared the Park Visitor Center open in 1967, the Queen Mother Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth expressed the sentiments of both countries with these . . . — Map (db m63591) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Welshpool — St. Anne's Anglican Church|
This house of God has welcomed worshippers for one hundred years or more. In commemoration of this fact this plaque has been presented in 1967
of Confederation Year
1867 - 1967 — Map (db m54939) HM|
|New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Wilson's Beach — World War II Memorial — 1939 - 1945|
To the Glory of God
and the memory of our
Howard Mallock • Lawson Searles
Those who served our King and Country
Alison Alexander • Ronald Anthony • Wesley Anthony • George Babcock • Lydie Brown • Manning Brown • Raye Brown • Whitney Brown • Alexander Calder • Emerson Calder • Hilton Calder • Ryder Cline • Durrell Fitzgerald • Herbert Fitzsimmons • John Fitzsimmons • Clayton Fletcher • William Galley • Stanley Henderson • Andrew Hooper • Calvin Mallock • Elwood . . . — Map (db m54938) HM|
|New Brunswick (Gloucester County), Caraquet — Le Grand Dérangement — Caraquet|
The Grand Dérangement
L’Acadie, established by France in 1604, was a strategically located and highly coveted colony. In 1713, it was handed over to England and renamed Nova Scotia. The foundation of Halifax, in 1749, led part of the Acadian population to move to French territory. The remaining Acadians were still perceived as a threat, and in 1755, the British authorities launched their systematic deportation, splitting up families and communities, seizing all . . . — Map (db m80580) HM|
|New Brunswick (Gloucester County), Caraquet — The Return of the Acadians — Le retour des Acadiens|
Because of the vicissitudes of war, the Acadians, pioneers of this country, were dispersed in 1755. The arrival of Alexis Landry at Ste. Anne de Bocage, soon after 1755, symbolizes the return of the Acadians to their beloved country and the taking up of a new life.
Par suite des vicissitudes de la guerre, les Acadiens, pionniers de ce pays, furent dispersés en 1755. L'arrivée d'Alexis Landry, à Ste. Anne du Bocage peu après 1755, symbolise le retour des . . . — Map (db m80579) HM|
|New Brunswick (Kent County), Bouctouche — K.C. Irving — 1899 - 1992|
|English: Here, within sight of the farm where he was born and the river where he swam as a boy, stands a monument in honor of the memory and accomplishments of Buctouche’s most famous son Kenneth Colin Irving. Born March 14, 1899, he was one of Canada’s leading 20th century industrialists, entrepreneurs and businessmen.
After serving with the Royal Flying Corps in the First World War, he returned to Buctouche to sell Ford cars and build his first garage and service station.
In . . . — Map (db m80581) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Canada’s Original City — La ville originale du Canada|
|English What do you do for a 225th anniversary The answer in Canada’s first incorporated city was celebrate! Saint John 225: The Original City/La ville originale was a year-long celebration of the city’s heritage, creativity and cultures. Neighbourhoods and community organizations, regional and local businesses and all levels of government helped Saint John live up to its title as a 2010 Cultural Capital of Canada.
Saint John 225 was a year of festivals: the . . . — Map (db m77568) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Carleton Martello Tower|
|Construction of this tower was begun by the British Army during the War of 1812 as one of the projected series of fortifications intended to block the western land approach to Saint John. Subsequent to its completion in 1815 the tower was largely neglected, seeing only occasional use in times of emergency, including service as a fire control headquarters in the second world war. The original structure typifies the English martello tower design, a popular form of coastal defence in the British . . . — Map (db m539) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Centerbeam Place|
|This historic city block of attached late-Victorian buildings was designed and constructed immediately after the Great Fire of 1877 that swept away much of Saint John. Prominent architects from Canada and the United States vied for the honour of creating a new business district. During the 20th century this block was neglected, and the structures fell into serious disrepair and decay.
Between 2004 and 2008 Commercial Properties Limited undertook the rehabilitation of this block as a viable . . . — Map (db m77457) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Church of Saint Andrew and Saint David — Église Saint Andrew and Saint David|
Constructed in 1879, on the site of the 1815 “Auld Kirk”, the present church is a faithful representation of the Gothic Revival style. One highlight of the interior is the Gothicized pulpit by local carver John Rogerson.
Construite en 1879, à l’emplacement de la “Auld Kirk” (1815), l’église actuelle est une fidèle représentation du style néogothique. A l’intérieur, la chaire de style gothique relisée par le sculpteur local John . . . — Map (db m77483) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Dock Street Generating Station — Le Centrale Dock Street — 1889-1976|
|English The New Brunswick Electric Power Commission’s DOCK STREET PLANT, built on this site in 1889, was the longest continually operating electrical generation station in the world.
Built by the Saint John Railway Company, the 18,000 kilowatt plant was acquired by N B Power on January 1, 1948 and was retired from service on August 23, 1976 following more than 87 years of continuous and reliable service to the people of Saint John and surrounding area.
Dedicated by the . . . — Map (db m77558) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — First Marine Compound Engine — La Première Machine Compound de Marine|
The first vessel in the world propelled by a compound steam engine was the REINDEER launched for service on the Saint John, in 1845. Both the vessel and engine were designed by Benjamin Tibbets, a native of Queen’s County, New Brunswick. The engine was in service for more than fifty years
Le premier navire propulsé par une machine à vapeur compound fut le REINDEER, mis en service sur la rivière Saint-John en 1845. Le bateau et la machine avaient tous deux été . . . — Map (db m77428) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — First Steam Fog Horn — La Premiere Corne de Brume a Vapeur|
In 1854, Robert Foulis of St. John, N.B., first advocated the use of a steam horn or whistle to give warning to vessels in foggy weather. An apparatus devised by him was installed on Partridge Island in 1859. This was the first steam fog horn ever constructed or operated in the world.
En 1854, Robert Foulis, de Saint-Jean (N.B.), prèconisa pour la première fois l’usage d’une corne ou d’un sifflet à vapeur pour guider les navires par temps brumeux. L’appareil . . . — Map (db m77430) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Fort Howe — Major Gilfrid Studholme — Indian Treaty of 1778/Le Traité Indien de 1778|
|Three markers are mounted on this monument Fort Howe
English Late in 1777 Major Gilfred Studholme hurriedly fortified this ridge overlooking the mouth of the Saint John River. Throughout the remainder of the American Revolutionary War the presence of Fort Howe, its guns and garrison, guarded the settlement at the river’s mount from attack by American Privateers, a minority of disaffected settlers, and the local Indians with whom a treaty was made here in 1778. Allowed . . . — Map (db m77537) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Founding of New Brunswick — La Fondation du Nouveau-Brunswick|
The increase of population consequent upon the large influx of Loyalists in 1783 and 1784 convinced the British government of the desirability of creating the Province of New Brunswick. This was done on 16 August 1784. Brigadier General Thomas Carleton, who had provided invaluable service in transplanting the United Empire Loyalists, was chosen as the province’s first governor. He arrived at Saint John on 21 November 1784, and on the following day held his first council and . . . — Map (db m77519) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Imperial Theatre — Le Théâtre Imperial|
Constructed in 1912-1913 to the designs of Philadelphia architect A.E. Westover, this structure was built by the Keith-Albee chain of New York City and its Canadian subsidiary, the Saint John Amusements Company. Dramatic, musical and vaudeville performances were highlighted in the early years. Theatres of this kind, constructed between 1912 and 1930, were among the grandest built in Canada, and acted as a transition between traditional 19th century theatres and the movie . . . — Map (db m77506) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Irish Immigrant Memorial|
|This Celtic cross, erected in 1967 by descendants of the Irish settlers, is a half scale replica of a cross which stands on Partridge Island in Saint John Harbour.
A reproduction of the plaque on the original cross is shown below.
This monument was erected in memory of more than 2000 Irish immigrants who died of typhus fever contracted on shipboard during the voyage from Ireland during the famine year 1847, and of whom 600 were buried in this island.
This cross also commemorates . . . — Map (db m78253) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — King Edward VII Memorial Bandstand — Kiosque À Musique Commémoratif Roi Edouard VII|
The Memorial Bandstand was designed and built in 1908 for the City Coronet Band by Neil Brodie, a local architect. One year later, it was donated to the City of Saint John in the name of Edward VII of England.
The bandstand is made of various materials. The supporting columns are steel with wrought iron detail. The floor and ceiling are constructed of wood while copper formes the roof and intermediate cornice. A coronet, similar to those used by the City Coronet Band, has . . . — Map (db m77531) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — King’s Square — Carré King’s Square — Established 1785/Fondé en 1785|
King’s Square, named for King George III of England, was granted to the City of Saint John by royal charter in 1785. During its early years, the grounds were the site of such public uses as oxen roasts, fireworks displays, militia parades, cricket games, public wells, a pillory, a slaughter house, and agricultural fairs.
In 1844, King’s Square was developed as a park and the current design of paths was laid out. The square retained it rural setting of only trees and grass . . . — Map (db m77534) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — New Brunswick’s First School of Law|
|Established on October 8, 1892 in connection with King’s College, Windsor, N.S., New Brunswick’s first School of Law was located in this building until 1953. The school is now the Faculty of Law of the University of New Brunswick. This plaque was place here October 8, 1991 by the Saint John Law Society to commemorate legal education in New Brunswick. — Map (db m77482) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — No. 2 Mechanics’ Volunteer Company Engine House — Caserne No 2 des Mécaniciens Pompiers Volontaires|
The cry “Fire!” so terrified Canadians in the early 19th century that communities began to construct permanent fire stations. Erected in 1840, this elegant Neoclassical building is a pioneer example of a firehall designed to house a volunteer brigade using manually drawn and operated pumper fire engines. These organizations served as the best line of defense against devastating conflagrations and played an important role in Victorian urban life. The work of local . . . — Map (db m77508) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Prince William Street - Before and After the 1877 Fire — Rue Prince William - Avant et Après le Grand Incendie de 1877|
|This marker has plaques on both sides.
Before the 1877 Fire
The year is 1865, and you are looking across Market Square at the “Imperial Building.” This was the site of the famous “Coffee House” and now the home of Magee Bros., a dry goods store.
Saint John is at the pinnacle of its manufacturing history, “The Golden Age.” The City has reached its peak in shipbuilding and lumber trade and by 1870 Saint John will become one . . . — Map (db m77480) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Saint John City Market — Le Marché de Saint John|
Built between 1874 ad 1876, the Saint John City market narrowly escaped the fire that swept through the town in 1877 and stands today as a rare and distinguished example of a 19th century market building. Designed in the Second Empire style by New Brunswick architects McKean and Fairweather, the market building contains shops on the ground level, offices above, and, through the passageway, a long, open market hall. An impressive feature of the hall is the exposed timber . . . — Map (db m77535) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Saint John’s First Wind Grist Mill|
| ...built on this corner 1795, became city’s first poorhouse, also temporary military barracks, destroyed by fire 1819 — Map (db m77484) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Saint John’s Original Burial Ground — Le premier cimetière de Saint John|
Saint John’s original burial ground was established on this site shortly after the landing of the United Empire Loyalists in 1783. After its closure as a cemetery in 1845, the site became a memorial garden with tree lined walkways and flower beds.
For upwards of 100 years it remained a unique place of beauty in the centre of a busy industrial city. However time and neglect gradually took their toll and by the late 1900’s the burial ground was in a state of disrepair.
In . . . — Map (db m77518) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Scottish Strength — La puissance écossaise|
Saint John has a strong Scottish presence. The breakup of the clan system in the late 18th century caused massive emigration from the Highlands. As a result, some 25 percent of the population has Scottish ancestry. Scottish influence is found throughout Greater Saint John in the names of streets and neighbourhoods such as MacKay Highway, McLaren Boulevard, ad the community of Upper Loch Lomond.
Saint John is home to Canada’s oldest Saint Andrew’s Society, which held it . . . — Map (db m77458) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — The Marco Polo — Le Marco Polo|
A three-masted full-rigged ship with a modified clipper hull, the Marco Polo earned a reputation as the “fastest ship in the world” and drew international attention to New Brunswick shipyards. Built in 1851 by James Smith in Saint John, it was sold to British interests and refitted to carry emigrants. Its captain, “Bully” Forbes, achieved a record passage from Liverpool the goldfields of Australia in 1852 by using the “Roaring . . . — Map (db m77456) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — The Great Fire of 1877/L’incendie de 1877 — Trinity Royal — Saint John’s First Historic Preservation Area/Premiere de conservation historique de Saint John|
|There are two side to this marker
The Great Fire of 1877
One of the most destructive fires of modern times occurred at Saint John, N.B., on Wednesday, June 20th, 1877. It was more calamitous in its character than the terrible conflagration which plunged portions of Chicago into ruin, and laid waste the great business houses of Boston a few years ago”.The Story of the Great Fire in Saint John, N.B., author George Stewart (1848-1906)
To truly . . . — Map (db m77570) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — The Landing of the Loyalists — Débarquement des Loyalistes|
On 10 May 1783 the Spring Fleet, carrying over 2,000 Loyalists, arrived at the Saint John River mouth. The exiles, mostly civilians from the Middle Colonies, established themselves in the newly-surveyed townsites of Parr and Carleton. A second fleet in June, a third in September carrying troops of the Loyalist corps, and numerous individual vessels swelled the number crowded at the river mouth. Preparations for the arrivals was inadequate and many wintered in tents and huts . . . — Map (db m77432) HM|
|New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — The Troop Fleet in the Days of Sail|
| This plaque is in commemoration of the firm of Messrs. Troop and son, shipowners in the city of Saint John, New Brunswick, where the business of the firm was carried on during the years 1847-1912. Founded by Jacob V. Troop, the business was continued by his son, Howard D. Troop, the firm at one time owned the largest fleet of wooden sailing vessels in Canada.
The white-winged craft carrying the famous diamond “T” house flag were renowned for their excellence in design. Beauty . . . — Map (db m77459) HM|
|New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Shediac — Men of Letters — Hommes de Lettres|
Born in or near Shediac, Pascal Poirier (1852-1933), historian and first Acadian senator; Placide Gaudet (1850-1930), historian and genealogist; John Clarence Webster (1863-1950), historian, Professor, and eminent surgeon, all enriched the cultural life of their compatriots, in particular the Acadians, whose first newspaper, Le Moniteur Acadien, founded in 1867 at Shediac by Israel Landry, was edited for half a century by Ferdinand Robidoux (1849-1921), and faithfully served . . . — Map (db m80578) HM|