HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
New Hampshire Markers
New Hampshire (Carroll County), Conway — 038 — White Mountain School of Art
Since Thomas Cole's visit in 1828, New Hampshire's splendid scenery has been an enduring inspiration to countless landscape artists. From 1850 to 1890 this region was particularly favored for their easels. Benjamin Champney (1817-1907), New Hampshire-born painter, described the glorious era in "Sixty Years of Art and Artists". — Map (db m74557) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), Hart's Location — 0213 — Frankenstein Trestle
The high steel trestle above was built in 1893 to replace a wrought iron trestle of 1875, and was strengthened in 1930 and 1950. Named for American Artist Godfrey N. Frankenstein (1820-1873), the adjacent cliff and gulf were formidable barriers to completion of the Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad, later the Maine Central, which connected Portland, ME, and the Great Lakes. Trains used the trestle until 1983. It now carries excursion trains through Crawford Notch. — Map (db m74559) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), Hart's Location — 186 — Sawyer's Rock
In 1771, Timothy Lash of Lancaster and Benjamin Sawyer of Conway made a bargain with Governor John Wentworth to bring a horse through Crawford Notch in order to prove the route’s commercial value. The pair succeeded by dragging and lowering the animal down rock faces. Sawyer’s Rock is said to be the last obstacle they encountered before reaching the Bartlett intervales. Nash and Sawyer were rewarded with 2,184 acre parcel at the northern end of the Notch. Sawyer’s Rock symbolizes the . . . — Map (db m75235) HM
New Hampshire (Cheshire County), Chesterfield — 095 — Chief Justice Harlan Fiske Stone
Born October 11, 1872, in a modest cottage 1.7 miles southeast of here on Horseshoe Road, Stone graduated from Amherst College and Columbia Law School, returning to the latter as Dean, 1910-1924. Attorney General in President Coolidge’s Cabinet, he was appointed a Justice of the Supreme Court in 1924 and Chief Justice in 1941, serving until his death April 22, 1946. A teacher, lawyer, judge, and judicial craftsman of the highest order, he held the affection and respect of the lawyers of the nation. — Map (db m74560) HM
New Hampshire (Cheshire County), Hinsdale — 112 — Hinsdale's Auto Pioneer
In the Holman and Merriman Machine Shop opposite this location, George A. Long of Northfield (Mass.) in 1875 built a steam propelled four wheel automobile with a fifth wheel for steering. This vehicle, fired by hardwood charcoal, had a bicycle-type frame, ordinary wooden wheels, solid rear axle and could maintain 30 miles per hour, roads permitting. This early inventor patented and built another automobile, propelled by gasoline, now in The Smithsonian Institution. — Map (db m74561) HM
New Hampshire (Cheshire County), Hinsdale — 204 — Newhall & Stebbins
Formed in 1856, the firm Newhall & Stebbins began manufacturing the Granite State Field Mower in 1860. Machined out of cast iron with few bolts, the mowers were intended for use on the uneven terrain of New England farms. In 1870 the company employed 18 men and manufactured 525 mowing machines. They began to make lawn mowers in 1881 and lawn trimmers in 1906. By 1909 they made about 15,000 machines each year and exported all over the world. The business was bought by William S. Howe in 1917 and operated on Canal Street until 1962. — Map (db m74562) HM
New Hampshire (Cheshire County), Keene — Deacon Josiah Fisher
Near this spot Deacon Josiah Fisher was killed and scalped by an Indian, July 10, 1745, a pioneer settler of this town in 1734. — Map (db m70320) HM
New Hampshire (Cheshire County), Keene — 069 — Keene Glass Industry
The first of two famous Keene glass factories was established near this site in 1814 and produced window glass for the New England area until 1853. Another glass works (1815-1842), 1.5 miles southeast of here on Marlboro Street, made bottles and flasks now known as "Keene Glass" and prized today by museums and collectors. — Map (db m74563) HM
New Hampshire (Cheshire County), Keene — The First Meeting House in Upper Ashuelot
The First Meeting House in Upper Ashuelot, now Keene was built on this knoll in 1736-7. Here also was located the Burying Ground of the original settlers. Erected by Ashuelot Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution in 1913 — Map (db m59779) HM
New Hampshire (Cheshire County), Keene — The Old Fort
This boulder marks the site of the old fort built in 1738 by the early settlers of Upper Ashuelot as a refuge from the Indians. This memorial erected in 1906 by Ashuelot Chapter D.A.R. and Keene Chapter S.A.R. — Map (db m59781) HM
New Hampshire (Cheshire County), Keene — The Old Road to Boston
Erected by Ashuelot Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, April 12, 1902, to mark the beginning of the Old Road to Boston, over which the soldiers of the revolution from Keene marched under Captain Isaac Wyman, April 21, 1775, in response to the Lexington alarum. — Map (db m59828) HM
New Hampshire (Cheshire County), Walpole — John Kilburn Cabin
On this field stood the cabin of John Kilburn The first settler of Walpole 1749 Here occurred his heroic defense against the Indians August 17, 1755 Erected by the Abigail Stearns Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution — Map (db m66284) HM WM
New Hampshire (Cheshire County), West Chesterfield — Site of First House in Chesterfield
Site of First House in Chesterfield Built November 1761 by Moses Smith — Map (db m44492) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Berlin — 159 — Boom Piers
The small man-made 'islands' in the river were used to secure a chain of boom logs which divided the Androscoggin River during the colorful and dramatic annual log drives, when the Brown Paper Company and the International Paper Company shared the river from the forests far upriver to the mills at Berlin. The logs were stamped on the ends with a marking hammer to identify their ownership, and they were sorted at a 'sorting gap' further upriver. The log drives ended in 1963. The old piers . . . — Map (db m74564) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Carroll — 087 — Crawford House
Abel Crawford and son, Ethan Allen Crawford, built the first Crawford House in 1828. It was run by Ethan's brother, Thomas, until sold in 1852. Fires in 1854 and 1859 destroyed the original inn and a replacement. Col. Cyrus Eastman erected the third and present Crawford House. It opened July 1859 to continue a tradition of hospitality to White Mountain visitors. Among them have been Daniel Webster, Nathaniel Hawthorne, John Greenleaf Whittier and Presidents Pierce, Grant, Hayes, Garfield and Harding. — Map (db m75236) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Carroll — 122 — Mount Washington Hotel / Bretton Woods Monetary Conference
Mount Washington Hotel Standing to the east, the Mount Washington Hotel was completed in 1902 as one of the largest, most modern grand hotels in the White Mountains, one of the few built in a single campaign. Designed by New York architect Charles Alling Gifford (1861-1937), the hotel was financed by Concord, N.H. native Joseph Stickney (1840-1903), an industrialist who had purchased 10,000 acres here in 1881. Served by as many as 57 trains a day, the Mount Washington Hotel became known . . . — Map (db m75237) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Carroll — 30 — The Crawford Family
For whom the Notch is named, included Abel and his sons, Thomas J. and Ethan Allen. They established the first regional hotels and pioneered in opening the White Mountain area to the public. Ethan and his wife, Lucy Howe Crawford, author of an 1846 history of the region, are buried in a nearby cemetery. — Map (db m44299) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Carroll — 233 — Zealand and James Everell Henry
The village of Zealand grew up in 1875 to serve the logging industry. Henry owned 10,000 acres in the heart of the White Mtns., with a 10-mile railroad to move logs from forest to sawmill. The village had a post office, school, store, housing, and charcoal kilns to eke out every bit of forest value. Depending on the season, the logging business employed 80-250 men. By 1885, Henry left the Valley moving on to Lincoln, leaving the area mostly clear cut. From 1886-1903, fires destroyed the valley and village. — Map (db m74556) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Clarksville — 115 — 45th Parallel
At this point you stand on the 45th parallel halfway between the Equator and the North Pole. At this point you stand also at longitude 71° 24' West from Greenwich, England. A line from this point through the center of the earth would emerge in the Indian Ocean 982 miles southwest of Perth, Australia. — Map (db m75603)
New Hampshire (Coos County), Dixville Notch — 171 — Dixville Notch"First in the Nation"
New Hampshire has held the first-in-the-nation presidential primaries since 1920. With the first presidential "beauty contest" in 1952, our citizens have personally met the candidates and by popular ballot have declared their preference for their party's nominee. Since 1960, Dixville has been the first community in the state and country to cast its handful of votes in national elections. On election eve 100% of the eligible voters gather in the Ballot Room of the BALSAMS. At midnight polls open . . . — Map (db m74566) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Gorham — Mount Washington SummitThe Highest Wind Ever Observed
The highest wind ever observed by man was recorded here. From 1932 to 1937 the Mt. Washington Conservatory was operated in the summit stage office then occupying this site in a great storm of April 12, 1934. The crew’s instruments measured a wind velocity of 231 miles per hour. — Map (db m62065) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Lancaster — 173 — Lake Coos and the Presidential Range
Lancaster, founded in 1763, lies on the bed of glacial Lake Coos, formed as the glaciers receded 14,000 years ago. Today, the Connecticut, an American Heritage River, flows along the bottom of the ancient lake. You stand at a gateway to The Great North Woods Region. To the east, aligned from north to south, are Mounts Madison, Adams, Jefferson, and Washington, the highest peaks of the White Mountains' Presidential Range. Mt. Washington, at 6288 feet, is the highest in the Northeast. The . . . — Map (db m75697) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Pittsburg — 001 — Republic of Indian Stream
In 1832 the settlers of the area between Indian Stream and Hall's Stream, claimed by both Canada and the United States, set up the independent republic of Indian Stream. Yielding to New Hampshire in 1836, Indian Stream became part of Pittsburg and in 1842 was recognized by treaty as United States territory. — Map (db m75611) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Stewartstown — 064 — 45th Parallel
As you stand at this point on the 45th parallel you are half way between the Equator and the North Pole. — Map (db m75633)
New Hampshire (Coos County), Stewartstown — 047 — Metallak
Hunter, trapper, fisherman and guide, well and favorably known by the region's early settlers, "The Lone Indian of the Magalloway" was the last survivor of a band of Abnaki inhabiting the Upper Androscoggin. Blinded by accidents, Metallak died a town charge in 1847 at the reputed age of 120. He is buried in the North Hill Cemetery on the road to the east. — Map (db m75602) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Stratford — 034 — Log Drives
The dramatic process of conveying lumber logs and pulpwood from northern New Hampshire forests to manufacturing centers, by driving them down the Connecticut River, spanned the turn into the Twentieth Century. Hardy crews of "white-water men" risked life and limb in the hazardous work of the annual spring drives. — Map (db m75601) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Twin Mountain — 45 — Mount Washington Cog Railway
Completed in 1869 for $139,500, this unique railway was built through the genius and enterprise of Herrick and Walter Aiken of Franklin and Sylvester Marsh of Campton. Over three miles long, the average grade to the 6,293-foot summit is one foot in four. Made safe by toothed wheel and ratchet, it is the second steepest in the world and the first of its type. — Map (db m44316) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Ashland — 163 — Boston, Concord, & Montreal Railroad
The Boston, Concord & Montreal Railroad was chartered in 1844. Construction of the main line began in Concord in 1846. The tracks were completed to Laconia in 1848, to Ashland in 1849, and to Wells River, Vermont in 1853. The B. C&M RR merged with the Concord Railroad in 1889 to form the Concord & Montreal & Maine Railroad in 1895. The B. C&M RR and its branch lines contributed greatly to the economic development of central and northern New Hampshire and to the growth of tourism in the Lakes Region and the White Mountains. — Map (db m74567) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Ashland — 100 — George Hoyt Whipple
Nearby, on Pleasant Street, is the birthplace and childhood home of George Hoyt Whipple, pathologist, researcher and teacher. Dr. Whipple’s most significant research led to the development of the liver therapy for pernicious anemia. For his work, he shared the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1934. — Map (db m74568) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Ashland — Soldiers of Ashland Memorial
In Memory of the Soldiers of Ashland in the War. 1861-1865. Erected by the town. G.M. Keye’s Post G.A.R. and Woman’s Relief Corps. Dedicated May 30th 1899. Town Committee: Thomas E. Greney-6th N. H. Vol’s, Frank L. Hughes-12th N. H. Vol’s, Edward P. Warner-14th Ind. Vol’s — Map (db m65884) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Bath — 121 — Bath, New Hampshire
Settled in 1766 by Jaasiel Harriman whose cabin was near the Great Rock. His nine year old daughter Mercy carried dirt in her apron to the top of this unique rock formation. Here she planted corn, pumpkins and cucumbers, making the first garden in town. Three well-preserved covered bridges are to be found here. Among its many fine homes is the Federal mansion built by Moses P. Payson in 1810. — Map (db m74569) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Bethlehem — 218 — Pierce Bridge
By 1920 the adjacent road, Rt. 302 was part of the Teddy Roosevelt (TR) Trail, which ran from Maine to Oregon. It was an important way for tourists to access the White Mountains. After the 1927 floods, many bridges needed to be quickly replaced. With vertical members in compression and diagonals in tension, the High Pratt truss was strong and easy to construct, making it a favorite of state highway engineers. This riveted steel span was erected in 1928, keeping this important crossing in use. — Map (db m44289) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Holderness — 039 — Samuel Livermore1732-1803
Proprietor of more than half the Town of Holderness, this jurist, congressman and senator was New Hampshire’s first attorney general and second chief justice. In 1788 he spurred the State’s approval of the proposed Federal Constitution, thus insuring its ratification and the formation of the present Government of the United States. — Map (db m74570) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Lincoln — 224 — Betty and Barney Hill Incident
On the night of September 19–20, 1961, Portsmouth, NH couple Betty and Barney Hill experienced a close encounter with an unidentified flying object and two hours of “lost” time while driving south on Rte 3 near Lincoln. They filed an official Air Force Project Blue Book report of a brightly-lit cigar-shaped craft the next day, but were not public with their story until it was leaked in the Boston Traveler in 1965. This was the first widely-reported UFO abduction report in the United States. — Map (db m74571) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Littleton — 71 — Kilburn BrothersStereoscopic View Factory
Here, from 1867 to 1909, the world famous Kilburn brothers, Benjamin and Edward, produced and distributed thousands of stereoscopic views. Their collection, largest in the world and collector's items today, provided popular parlor entertainment for generations. — Map (db m44510) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Littleton — 185 — Willowdale Settlement
Willowdale was established around a sawmill that was built in 1812. The village thrived because sawmills, gristmills, and a factory producing sawmill machinery were powered by the Ammonoosuc River. After the Littleton Lumber Company opened in 1870, the village grew rapidly to include stores, a post office, a school, railroad siding, and a hall. The company employed as many as 60 workers and produced 3 to 6 million board feet yearly until fire destroyed it in 1898. The village never recovered . . . — Map (db m74572) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), North Haverhill — 104 — Ebenezer MacKintosh1737-1816
Born in Boston and a veteran of the 1758 Battle of Ticonderoga. As a known participant in the Boston Tea Party, for his own and his children’s safety, he walked to North Haverhill in early 1774. He later served in the Northern Army under Gen. Gates in 1777. He was a shoemaker by trade and practiced his vocation here for the rest of his life. He is buried nearby in Horse Meadow Cemetery. — Map (db m74573) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), North Haverhill — 056 — Rogers Rangers
The rivers’ junction two miles north was rendezvous for Rogers Rangers after their destruction of St. Francis, Que., Oct. 4, 1759. Pursuing Indians and starvation had plagued their retreat and more tragedy awaited here. The expected rescue party bringing food had come and gone. Many Rangers perished and early settlers found their bones along these intervales. — Map (db m74574) HM WM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), North Haverhill — Soldiers of Haverhill Memorial
In commemoration of the services of the services of the Soldiers of Haverhill in the Wars of the Country — Map (db m65833) WM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Orford — 33 — The Ridge
Orford's seven Ridge houses were built over a period of time from 1773 to 1839 by professional and business men of the town. The Bulfinch-style house of John B. Wheeler, built in 1814-1816, southern-most in the row, was designed by a Boston architect, probably Asher Benjamin who was then an associate of Charles Bulfinch. Other Ridge houses also display Asher Benjamin influence. — Map (db m32090) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Plymouth — Rotary AmphitheaterPlymouth Riverfront Park
Constructed by the Plymouth Rotary as a gift to the community, this space is intended as a celebration of our natural beauty and as a place for the enjoyment of good times together. — Map (db m65880) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Plymouth — 179 — Smith Bridge
Named for local farmer Jacob Smith, the first bridge at this site was begun before 1786 and completed with the aid of a lottery authorized in that year. In 1850, contractor Harmon Marcy of Littleton, N.H. built a new bridge at a cost of about $2,700 using a pre-stressed wooden truss patented by Col. Stephen Harriman Long (1784-1864) of Hopkinton, N.H. After an arsonist burned the 143-year –old span in 1993, the state constructed this two-lane bridge. Built with glued-laminated timbers and . . . — Map (db m74575) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Plymouth — 189 — Stream Gaging in New Hampshire
This is the site of the longest continuous stream gaging in New Hampshire. Daily measurement of the level of the Pemigewasset River was begun here in 1886 by the Locks and Canals Company of Lowell, Massachusetts, which controlled flowage in the Merrimack River and its headwaters. In 1903, with funding from the State o New Hampshire, the U.S. Geological Survey began to measure the discharge of the river to determine available waterpower and the effects of White Mountain deforestation. The . . . — Map (db m74576) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Plymouth — The Common
In 1892 voters established this Park and voted to improve and ornament it. In 1905 the town built a bandstand designed by FW Bulfinch for use by the John Keniston Band. At G. Clarks urging, in 1932 the Pemigewasset Women’s Club created a Boy Scout statue (1 of 2 in USA), sculpted by GH Borst and donated by DW Burrows. The boulder base came from the Baker River. A plaque notes the inspiration Nathaniel Hawthorne drew from Plymouth. The Common remains a work in progress of a proud community. — Map (db m65881) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Woodsville — 190 — Haverhill-Bath Bridge
Constructed in 1829 by the towns of Bath and Haverhill at a cost of about $2,400, this is one of the oldest covered bridges in the United States. Built with 3-by-10-inch planks that were probably sawn at an adjacent mill, the span is the earliest surviving example of the lattice bridge truss that was patented in 1820 by Connecticut architect Ithiel Town (1784-1844). The bridge was strengthened with laminated wooden arches in 1921-22 and the upstream sidewalk was added at about the same time. . . . — Map (db m46247) HM
New Hampshire (Hillsborough County), Manchester — 124 — Amoskeag Mills
Samuel Blodgett began a canal to bypass the steep falls in 1793, with money provided by a lottery. The canal was finished in 1807. Mills then sprang up on both sides of the river below the falls. The world renowned Amoskeg Manufacturing Company flourished here for a century, operating 64 mills, covering a mile and a half of ground, housing 700,000 spindles and 23,000 looms which turned out 500,000 yards of cloth each week. — Map (db m64872) HM
New Hampshire (Hillsborough County), Manchester — Merci Box Car
This Box Car was a restoration project of the Grand Voiture du N.H. of the Forty and Eight. This Box Car is one of the 49 Freedom cars sent by the French Government to each one of the 48 states and one to be shared by District of Columbia and Hawaii in 1949. This car is a Memorial to those who lost their lives in all wars and to Franco American friendship. — Map (db m19825) HM
New Hampshire (Hillsborough County), Manchester — 208 — St. Mary's Bank Credit Union / La Caisse Populaire Saint-Marie
Marker Front: The first credit union in the U.S. was founded here in 1908, the inspiration of Monsignor Pierre Hevey, the pastor of Sainte-Marie Parish. Monsignor Hevey sought to improve the economic stability of the French-speaking mill workers by giving them a safe and welcoming place to save and borrow money. Until 1913 the credit union was located here in the home of attorney Joseph Bolvin, its first president and manager. Initially open just evenings and holidays, the credit union . . . — Map (db m65149) HM
New Hampshire (Hillsborough County), Mason — 035 — Uncle Sam’s House
Nearby stands the boyhood home of Samuel Wilson (1766 to 1854) who was generally known as “Uncle Sam.” He supplied beef to the Army in 1812. The brand on his barrel was “U.S.” The transition from U.S. to Uncle Sam followed and became the popular symbol for the United States. — Map (db m75238) HM
New Hampshire (Hillsborough County), Merrimack — 079 — Matthew Thornton1714 - 1803
One of three New Hampshiremen to sign the Declaration of Independence, Matthew Thornton, physician, soldier, patriot, agitated against the Stamp Act of 1765, presided over the Provincial Congress in 1775, served in the State Senate and as an associate justice of the Superior Court. The nearby monument honors his memory. He is buried in the adjacent cemetery. His homestead stands directly across the highway. — Map (db m74577) HM
New Hampshire (Hillsborough County), Peterborough — The War Of The RebellionPeterborough Soldiers Sacrificed
Capt. Gustavus A. Forbush 13th N.H. Regt. • Lieut. Timothy K. Ames 6th “ “ • Lieut. Charles L. Fuller 6th N.H. Regt. • Lieut. John M. Dodd 6th “ “ Charles O. Collister 2nd N.H. Regt. • Newman Hall 2nd “ “ • Edward Bolio 2nd “ “ • Frank E. Howe 2nd “ “ • George Welding 4th “ “ • Luther G. Crosby 4th “ “ • German N. Breed 5th “ “ • George M. Spaulding 5th “ “ • George W. Hadley 6th . . . — Map (db m73732) WM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Boscawen — Birthplace of Gen. John A. Dix
Born July 24, A.D. 1798. "If anyone attempts to haul down the American flag, shoot him on the spot." — Map (db m66408) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Boscawen — Birthplace of Hon. Moody Currier
Born April 6, A.D. 1806. Editor, Banker, Poet, Legislator and Scholar. Governor of New Hampshire 1885-1887. — Map (db m66407) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Boscawen — Birthplace of William Pitt Fessenden
Birthplace of William Pitt Fessenden. Born Oct. 6, A.D. 1806. United States Senator from Maine for thirteen years. Secretary of the U.S. Treasury 1864-1865. — Map (db m66404) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Boscawen — Daniel Webster's First Law Office
Near this spot A.D. 1805 stood the first law office of Daniel Webster the great interpreter of the American Constitution. One of the world's great orators. "Liberty and Union, one and inseparable, now and forever." — Map (db m66772) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Boscawen — The Webster Homestead
First owned by Daniel Webster in 1805. Sold in 1807 to to his brother Ezekiel, who occupied it until his death in 1829. Eminent as a lawyer and legislator, foremost in all good works, Ezekiel Webster's early death was an irreparable loss to the town, state, and nation. — Map (db m43498) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Concord — 080 — Franklin Pierce1804 – 1869
Fourteenth President of the United States (1853 – 1857) Lies buried in nearby Minot enclosure. Native son of New Hampshire, graduate of Bowdoin College, lawyer, effective political leader, Congressman and U.S. Senator, Mexican War veteran, courageous advocate of States’ Rights, he was popularly known as “Young Hickory of the Granite Hills.” — Map (db m75239) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Concord — 125 — The Pierce Manse
One tenth of a mile east of here stands the only house in Concord owned (1842-1848) by Franklin Pierce, 14th President of the United States. Removed to this site in 1971 from Montgomery Street, it was restored by the Pierce Brigade. Opened to the public in 1974, it is now an important tourist attraction. — Map (db m75240) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Exeter — 131 — Brigadier General Enoch Poor
Born in Andover, Mass. June 21, 1736, Enoch Poor settled in Exeter, becoming a successful merchant and ship-builder. In 1775 he was appointed colonel in the 3rd New Hampshire Regiment. Poor was at Stillwater, Saratoga and Monmouth, and served under Washington, Sullivan and Lafayette. Congress commissioned him Brigadier General in 1777. Mortally wounded in a duel he fought September 8, 1781, he was buried in the First Reformed churchyard in Hackensack, New Jersey. — Map (db m75241) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Exeter — 097 — Exeter Town House
The historic Town House of Exeter stood near this site. Here on January 5, 1776, the Provincial Congress adopted and signed the first state constitution thereby establishing an independent state government, the first of the thirteen colonies. The newly created legislative Assembly met here during the Revolution. The Town House remained in use until replaced by a new structure in 1793. — Map (db m75242) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Exeter — George Leonard Smith Gun
This cannon was presented by Captain George Leonard Smith, U.S.N. (1876-1951) to honor Exeter’s veterans of World War II. Captain Smith was a native son of Exeter, a prolific inventor, and a veteran of three wars. This cannon incorporates the breech mechanism he invented, which was used on land and sea by the United States and Great Britain during World War I & World War II. His invention was of incalculable value to the triumph of freedom. — Map (db m31541) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Exeter — 161 — Ladd-Gilman House
Built about 1721 as one of New Hampshire’s earliest brick houses, and enlarged and clapboarded in the 1750s, this dwelling served as the state treasury during the Revolution. Here were born John Taylor Gilman (1753-1828), who was elected governor for an unequalled total of fourteen years, and his brother Nicholas Gilman, Jr. (1755-1814), a signer of the U. S. Constitution. The house has been maintained since 1902 by the Society of the Cincinnati. — Map (db m75243) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Exeter — Powder House— 1771 —
At this site on the Squamscott river stands the storehouse for the town’s powder used during the American Revolution and the War of 1812. Powder captured from the British at New Castle was stored here and later used at the Battle of Bunker Hill. — Map (db m41157) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Exeter — Powder House— 1771 —
Directly across the Squamscott river stands the storehouse for the towns powder used during the American Revolution and the War of 1812. Powder captured from the British at New Castle was stored here and later used at the Battle of Bunker Hill. — Map (db m41158) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Exeter — 032 — Revolutionary Capital
Founded by Rev. John Wheelwright in 1638, Exeter was one of the four original towns in the colony. Following New Hampshire’s provisional declaration of independence on January 5, 1776, it served as the capital of the new state during the period of the American Revolution. — Map (db m75244) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Exeter — Site of the First Mill At Falls of the Squamscott River
A grist mill built by Thomas Wilson in 1640. The island and site were granted to him by the town which reserved the right for canoe landing and the laying of fish. Wilson’s Creek flows on the easterly side. — Map (db m41156) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Kingston — 046 — Josiah Bartlett— 1729–1795 —
Distinguished participant in the founding of the Republic as signer of the Declaration of Independence and Articles of Confederation, and prominent in this State as Chief Justice of two courts and first holder of the title of Governor. An innovator in medicine, he practiced in this town for forty-five years. — Map (db m75245) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Manchester — Manchester Spanish-American War Memorial
This monument erected by the city of Manchester to her sons who on land and sea defended the nation's honor in the war with Spain, the insurrection in the Philippines and the China Relief Expedition 1898-1902 Dedicated July 4, 1929. — Map (db m73200) WM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Portsmouth — Nation's Oldest Bank
[Upper Marker:] 22/26 Market Square Built 1803 The Oldest Bank Building New Hampshire Bank 1803-1842 Portsmouth Savings Bank 1823-C.1950 Piscataqua Bank 1842-1863 Piscataqua Exchange Bank 1844-1863 First National Bank of Portsmouth 1863-C.1950 Portsmouth Trust Company C.1950-1977 Restored by James A. Shanley 1977 - 1978 Listed in the National Register of Historic Places September 10, 1979 [Lower Marker:] In 1782 the New Hampshire Bank opened . . . — Map (db m74731) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Portsmouth — Negro PewsPortsmouth Black Heritage Trail
Until the mid 1800's, most New England churches assigned pews to parishioners by their social rank. Black people, enslaved or free, usually were seated as far as possible from the pulpit. Negro pews in the North Meetinghouse, which stood here from 1711 to 1854, were located in the upper balcony high above the front door. — Map (db m57930) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Portsmouth — 0114 — North Cemetery
The town of Portmouth purchased this land in 1753 for 150 pounds from Col. John Hart, Commander of the N.H. Regiment at Louisburg. General William Whipple, signer of the Declaration of Independence, Gov. John Langdon, signer of the Constitution, Capt. Thomas Thompson, of the Continental ship Raleigh, are among the noted citizens buried here. — Map (db m74579) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Portsmouth — Oracle HouseCirca 1702
The Oracle House is one of the oldest houses in New England. it was built by the Honorable Richard Wibird, an officer in the British Royal Navy, wealthy merchant, member of The King's Council and a benefactor of Harvard College. — Map (db m23380) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Rye — 063 — Atlantic Cable Station and Sunken Forest
The receiving station for the first Atlantic cable, laid in 1874, is located on Old Beach Road opposite this location. The remains of the Sunken Forest (remnants of the Ice Age) may be seen at low tide. Intermingled with these gnarled stumps is the original Atlantic cable. — Map (db m74580) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Rye — 018 — Isles Of Shoals
About six miles offshore, these nine rocky islands served Europeans as a fishing station before the first mainland settlements were made in 1623. Capt John Smith (1580-1631) named the group "Smiths Isles" in 1614. The codfish that "shoaled" or schooled there in huge numbers were a prized delicacy that supported 300 to 600 inhabitants before the revolution. By the end of the mid - 1800s, new hotels attracted a summer colony of writers and artists, chief of whom was Celia Thaxter (1835-1984). The . . . — Map (db m74581) HM
New Hampshire (Strafford County), Dover — 165 — The Alexander Scammell Bridge over the Bellamy River
A Revolutionary patriot, soldier, and adopted son of Durham, N.H., Alexander Scammell served with distinction through six years of the war from Bunker Hill to Yorktown, where he was wounded, captured, and died six days later, Oct. 6, 1781. Born in Mendon (now Milford) Mass., 1747, he attended Harvard, studied law under John Sullivan. Named Adjutant General of the Army at Valley Forge, he was praised by Washington who said after a long campaign, "The man who inspired us to do our full duty was . . . — Map (db m74582) HM WM
New Hampshire (Strafford County), Newington — The Oldest Town Forest in the United States
Established by the Town of Newington in 1710 The income from timber cutting through the centuries has financed and supplied materials for building The Old 1872 Town Hall, The Stone Schoolhouse, and other town projects. — Map (db m73409) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Charlestown — Captain Phineas Stevens
This tablet commemorates the successful defense of the fort on this site by Captain Phineas Stevens and his company of rangers against a large war-party of French and Indians April 7-10 1747 — Map (db m66278) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Charlestown — Charlestown Civil War and World War Memorial
South Panel 1861 In Memoriam 1865 Lists names Abbott to Kelly North Panel 1861 In Memoriam 1865 Lists names Keen to Way West Panel Honor Roll 1917-1919 Dedicated to the men of Charlestown New Hampshire who served their country in the World War Lists names Ahern to Wilson — Map (db m66283) WM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Charlestown — Charlestown War Memorial
Given in memory to those who gave their lives and those who served in defense of freedom and democracy in Vietnam - Lebanon - Granada Panama - Persian Gulf * David E Gardner Vietnam * Todd C Ritch Persian Gulf — Map (db m66281) WM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Charlestown — Charlestown World War II and Korean Conflict Memorial
In memory of those who gave their lives and those who served in World War II and the Korean Conflict 1941-1953 — Map (db m66282) WM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Charlestown — 177 — Charlestown, New HampshireHome Town of Carlton E. "Pudge" Fisk
Carlton attended Charlestown schools, starring in basketball, soccer and baseball at Charlestown High School. He played professional baseball for the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago White Sox from 1969 to 1993, where he set several records including most home runs by a catcher and most games caught. He was honored as the first ever unanimous choice Rookie of the Year in 1972. He was voted to the American League All Star team eleven times. Carlton was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2000. — Map (db m74583) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Charlestown — 002 — Fort at No. 4
In 1744 the settlers at No. 4 (now Charlestown) built a great log fort enclosing many of the town's dwelling. The fort, northernmost in the Connecticut Valley, was besieged in 1747 by a large force of French and Indians, who were beaten off by the 31-man garrison in a 3-day battle. The fort was never again attacked. — Map (db m74584) HM WM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Charlestown — 117 — General John Stark's Expedition to BenningtonAugust 1777
To impede a British invasion from Canada into eastern New York, the New Hampshire legislature on July 19, 1777, commissioned John Stark of Derryfield to recruit and lead a force of 1500 New Hampshire militiamen. At Charlestown’s Fort No. 4, forces were assembled with food, medical supplies and military stores. On August 3, they marched west and in the famed Battle of Bennington on August 16, they defeated the combined British-German forces, thereby achieving a major turning point of the war. — Map (db m74585) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Charlestown — Liberty Tree Memorial
Front Panel This American Liberty Elm was named after "The Liberty Tree: Our Country's first Symbol of Freedom." On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of the hated Stamp Act. From that day forward that elm became known as "The Liberty Tree." It stood in silent witness to countless meetings, speeches and celebrations, and became the rallying place for the Sons of Liberty. In August of 1775, as a . . . — Map (db m66280) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Charlestown — This Boulder from the Hill-Side
This boulder from the hill-side is set here by citizens of Charlestown with the co-operation of the Union Historical Society of Charlestown N.H. and Springfield VT and of the Society of Colonial Wars, in the State of New Hampshire to mark the site of the old fort, built in 1743. Dedicated August 30, 1904, being the 158th anniversary of the Indian raid. — Map (db m65797) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Cornish — 158 — Cornish-Windsor Bridge
Built in 1866 at a cost of $9,000, this is the longest wooden bridge in the United States and the longest two-span covered bridge in the world. The fourth bridge at this site, the 460-foot structure was built by Bela J. Fletcher (1811-1877) of Claremont and James F. Tasker (1826-1903) of Cornish, using a lattice truss patented by architect Ithiel Town in 1820 and 1835. Built as a toll bridge by a private corporation, the span was purchased by the state of New Hampshire in 1936 and made toll-free in 1943. — Map (db m74586) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Cornish — 076 — Salmon Portland Chase1808 - 1873
In this house was born Salmon P. Chase, U.S. Senator from Ohio (1849-55), Governor of Ohio (1855-59), a founder of the Republican Party and leader in the anti-slavery movement. After serving as Secretary of the Treasury in Lincoln’s Cabinet, he was appointed Chief Justice of the United States. The Chase Manhattan Bank in New York was named in his honor, — Map (db m74587) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), North Charlestown — North Charlestown Village
Est. 1740 National Register District — Map (db m65799) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Washington — 94 — Birthplace of the Seventh Day Adventist Church
In April 1842, a group of citizens in this town banded together to form "the first Christian Society." In the Adventist movement of 1842-43, they espoused the Advent hope. In January 1842, these Washington Sabbathkeepers, after meeting for many years as a loosely knit group, organized the first Seventh Day Adventist Church. Take second left, opposite the Common, 2.3 miles on the Millen Pond Road to the site of this building. — Map (db m73224) HM
89 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 133 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.