Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

New Jersey Historical Markers

2944 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 2694
Absecon Presbyterian Church Marker image, Click for more information
By Don Morfe, January 19, 2016
Absecon Presbyterian Church Marker
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Absecon — Absecon Presbyterian Church
The cornerstone was laid 16 November 1865. The church was dedicated on 20 June 1867. — Map (db m92438) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Absecon — Absecon United Methodist Church
Incorporated in 1823 from classes started in 1796. Building dedicated 1829, rebuilt in 1856. — Map (db m92437) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — 44th National Encampment Grand Army of the Republic
From September 19 to 24 1910, about 45 years after the last shot of the Civil War was fired, the 44th National Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) Encampment(convention) was held in Atlantic City. The G.A.R., a Union (Northern) Civil War veteran's . . . — Map (db m36236) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — 87th Infantry Division Monument
To the men of the 87th Infantry Division Whose supreme sacrifice in the world wide conflict for liberty and freedom during World War II shall not pass unheralded Erected by the 87th Infantry Division Association September 29, . . . — Map (db m6890) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Absecon Lighthouse
Over the years, these grounds contained a variety of buildings that supported the Lighthouse operation. As you look around, envision the oil storage house with a greenhouse and sheds behind it, a square brick building housing the Weather Bureau to . . . — Map (db m46297) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Assistant Keepers’ DwellingAbsecon Lighthouse
When Absecon Lighthouse was first lit in 1857, a principal keeper and assistant keeper lived on site with their families. The dwelling for an assistant keeper was built during the original Lighthouse construction. Interior alterations in 1887 . . . — Map (db m46288) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Atlantic City Workers Monument
Dedicated to the men and women of organized labor who lost their lives while working on the redevelopment of Atlantic City We honor these workers [List of 25 names follow] "You will always be remembered" Erected April . . . — Map (db m36947) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Camp Boardwalk
In commemoration of Atlantic City’s finest hour ... Dedicated to the thousands of men and women of the United States Armed Forces who trained, served and recovered here from their wounds of battle during World War II—and to the devoted . . . — Map (db m5089) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Casino Control Act
On Thursday, June 2, 1977, New Jersey Governor Brendan T. Byrne signed into law the Casino Control Act, enabling New Jersey to become the second state in the United States to allow casino gaming. This landmark Atlantic City event took place on this . . . — Map (db m7872) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Clifford J. Newsome1900-1981
In 1929, C.J. Newsome was a founder of the Atlantic City Board of Trade (ACBT), which became the Black Chamber of Commerce, promoting Atlantic City as a place for African American conventions. An outstanding leader of St. James A.M.E. Church, he . . . — Map (db m92433) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Edna Patricia Hall1924-2013
An Atlantic City native, Hall is a founding member and former Vice- President of the First Ward Civic Association, an original member and Vice- President of the Inlet Public Private Association and a staunch supporter of the NAACP and 101 Women . . . — Map (db m92435) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — George William Nelson Sr.1930-
An Atlantic City native, who served on the Atlantic City Police Department from 1958 to 1984, retiring with the rank of captain. His last assignment was Executive Assistant to the Chief of Police. He once commanded the City's internationally reputed . . . — Map (db m92432) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Greek Temple Monument War Memorial
This monument was erected in 1922 by the City of Atlantic City in honor of those of her citizens who served in the World War · 1917–1918. — Map (db m6615) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Home of the Miss America Pageant
Atlantic City Convention Center "Home of the Miss America Pageant" Presented to The Miss American Pageant in commemoration and deep appreciation of their love affair with Atlantic City for the past six decades Dedicated January . . . — Map (db m5795) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — How Chicken Bone Beach Got Its NameHistoric Atlantic City: Missouri Avenue, 1900-1950's
Between 1900 and the early 1950s, African-Americans were socially restricted to use the Missouri Avenue Beach Area. Since many vacationing Black families arrived with chicken-laden hampers, the strip became affectionately named “Chicken . . . — Map (db m36900) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — James L. Usry — 1922-2002
Born in Athens, Georgia, this educator, mayor, professional athlete and longtime Atlantic City resident was affectionately known as “Big Jim.” He was a 6' 6" giant of a man who never raised his voice. Jim was a classroom teacher and . . . — Map (db m37066) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Jeremiah Leeds1754-1835
A revolutionary war veteran standing six feet tall. Leeds came to Absecon Island with his ten children in 1785 from Leeds Point, N.J. and built the first permanent structure of cedar logs. He cleared the nearby land to create his farm known as . . . — Map (db m92434) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — John Herbert Brooks — 1936 - 2005
An Atlantic City native, Brooks spent his early years in a life and death struggle with drug addiction. After conquering his own addiction, he worked to deter others from substance abuse. In 1969, Brooks co-founded NARCO, Inc., and, with . . . — Map (db m37308) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Keeper’s DwellingAbsecon Lighthouse
The light from Absecon Lighthouse first beamed out across the Atlantic Ocean in 1857. At that time, the Lighthouse consisted of the original keeper’s dwelling, a thirty-foot connecting passageway and the tower. In 1903, adding a two-story addition . . . — Map (db m46304) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Lighthouse HistoryAbsecon Lighthouse
The ocean waters off Absecon Inlet were considered some of the most deadly along the East Coast. Between 1847 and 1856, at least sixty-four ocean-going ships were lost off the coast of Absecon Beach. Dr. Jonathan Pitney, who promoted the development . . . — Map (db m46273) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — New Jersey Korean War Memorial
Freedom is Not Free [Following the title is a list of New Jersey veterans who died in the Korean War. See link below for a list of "those who did not return."] Map (db m5797) WM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Pierre Hollingsworth — 1931 - 2007
An Atlantic City native, he served in the Army’s 584th Medical Corp during the Korean War. He attended the New Jersey College of Commerce, Atlantic Community College and the New York Institute of Technology. He was one of five Blacks to integrate . . . — Map (db m37284) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — POW / MIA Monument
Throughout history, we have answered our country's call to arms, for freedom, for justice, for self - determination of an ally. We have served and sometimes paid in grim coin the price exacted.

Through no fault of ours, somehow we were . . . — Map (db m51206) HM

New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Sara Spencer Washington — 1889 - 1953
A Virginia entrepreneur who headed north in 1911, opened Arctic Avenue Beauty Salon in Atlantic City. She expanded by teaching beauty culture door-to-door with products of the day, some self-styled. Madame Washington, as she would later be called, . . . — Map (db m37109) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Spanish War Marker
"You triumphed over over obstacles which would have overcome men less brave and determined."                           President McKinley Presented by the Auxiliary United Spanish War Veterans 36th . . . — Map (db m5790) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — The Life-Saving StationAbsecon Lighthouse
By 1872, the first life-saving station was in operation on the corner of the Lighthouse property. This simple building, with some periodic renovations, served until the second, larger and more ornate station was constructed in 1884. The new . . . — Map (db m46289) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — The Whaling Bark StaffordAbsecon Lighthouse
Before construction of Absecon Lighthouse, many ships and many lives were lost off the coast of Absecon Island. Even though the beam from this light lessened these losses, other disasters plagued seagoing vessels. The anchor you see here, weighing . . . — Map (db m46291) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — They Called It “KY & The Curb”Historic Atlantic City - Kentucky Avenue, 1933-1980's
For more than four decades Kentucky Avenue ruled the East Coast Music scene. The greatest jazz and blues stars of all time filled its many clubs with round-the-clock entertainment - including Ray Charles, Sarah Vaughn, Aretha Franklin, Count Basie, . . . — Map (db m36952) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Bargintown — Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the Men and Women of Atlantic County who have served their nation in the Armed Forces of the United States. — Map (db m64272) WM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Batsto — Exploring the PinelandsPinelands National Reserve
The 1.1 million acre New Jersey Pinelands covering nearly one quarter of the state, is a region of varied resources and opportunities. The Pinelands is home to almost twelve hundred species of plants and animals, many unique natural environments, . . . — Map (db m64194) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Batsto — Wharton State ForestPinelands National Reserve
Wharton State Forest, located in the heart of the Pinelands, is the largest single tract of state-owned land in New Jersey, containing well over 120,000 acres. Important natural resources, historic villages and recreational opportunities can be . . . — Map (db m64192) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Belcoville — Bethlehem Loading Co.W.W.1 (World War 1)
Administration Buildings-These 8 buildings contained police barracks, horse stables, garage, U.S. Army office, the telephone exchange, employment and dispensary. — Map (db m64271) WM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Buena Borough — Friendship Church
Built in 1808 on land donated by William and Hope Hollingshead. Rev Richard Sneath was the first Methodist Preacher. — Map (db m92326) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Egg Harbor City — The Roundhouse MuseumNew Jersey Register of Historic Places Site
Welcome to the site of Dr. Smith’ Neutral Water Sanitarium. Before you is the focal point of the sanitarium, the flowing cedar waters in the serpentine creek. The site before you and behind you was the destination of hundreds of people from the . . . — Map (db m64260) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Egg Harbor Township — Asbury Methodist Church
Earlier called Englishes. Present building dedicated 1863. Rev Richard Sneath preached at Englishes 1798. — Map (db m92429) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Egg Harbor Township — Zion United Methodist Church
Built in 1822 on site of 1764 Meeting House. Eleven Revolutionary War soldiers buried here. — Map (db m92427) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Estell Manor — Estellville Glass FactoryEstell Manor Park
The quiet woodland scene before you was a very different place 150 years ago. The ruins are the remains of the Estellville Glass Factory, which employed as many as eighty men and boys at its peak of operation. Where the piles of stone and brick lie . . . — Map (db m92354) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Estell Manor — The Daniel Estell HouseEstell Manor Park
The Manor House was built n 1832 by Joseph West for his younger sister, Maria, and her husband, Daniel Estell, as a wedding present. Daniel Estell was the co-owner and operator of the Estellville Glassworks until his death in 1858.

The two and . . . — Map (db m92368) HM

New Jersey (Atlantic County), Estell Manor — The Estellville Methodist Church
The Estellville Methodist Church, formerly Stephen Creek Meeting House, was built in 1834 at a cost of $621.21 on land donated by John E. Estell of, at that time, Weymouth Township, Gloucester County.

The Society was incorporated on December . . . — Map (db m92369) HM

New Jersey (Atlantic County), Estell Manor — The Etna (Aetna) Furnace1816 - 1832
John Coates and the Howell family of Philadelphia built the Etna Furnace. The first manager was John Ladd Howell II.

At its most active times, about 200 men were employed here. There was a sawmill, gristmill and about 50 homes.

Power for . . . — Map (db m92375) HM

New Jersey (Atlantic County), Estell Manor — The Flattening HouseEstellville Glass Factory — Estell Manor Park
After the cylinder was removed from the blowpipe in the Melting Furnace, it was placed on a wooden rack, and a molten glass strip was wrapped around each end. When the domed top and end were touched with a piece of wet metal, they snapped off . . . — Map (db m92361) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Estell Manor — The Head of the River Church
(Top marker) Society Founded 1780, Church Built 1792-First Trustees; David Sayres, Judah Swain, William Smith, Constance Smith, John Champion John Corson, William Goff.

(Bottom left marker) The Head of the River Methodist Episcopal Church is . . . — Map (db m92376) HM

New Jersey (Atlantic County), Estell Manor — The Melting FurnaceEstellville Glass Factory — Estell Manor Park
The Melting Furnace was the heart of the glassworks. Here the silica sand, lime, and potash were melted into glass.

The furnace was at the center of the building. Before use, wood was dried and stored in the northeast corner of the building. The . . . — Map (db m92367) HM

New Jersey (Atlantic County), Estell Manor — The Pot HouseEstellville Glass Factory — Estell Manor Park
Pots were the clay crucibles used as containers in the furnace for melting the raw materials to make glass. Making the pots, the process which took place in this building, was the most exacting work in the entire glass-making industry.

The pots . . . — Map (db m92356) HM

New Jersey (Atlantic County), Estell Manor — The Tie That BindsReligious Influence-Historic Settlements
Seeking shelter from a storm, Rev. John James, a circuit riding preacher ordained by the Church in England, but disciplined in the beliefs of the Methodist Church of John Wesley, met by chance with local resident David Sayres on a cold, wintry night . . . — Map (db m92377) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Estell Manor — Welcome to Atlantic County Park at Estell Manor!
This is the first stop on the 50-mile Great Egg Harbor River Romp Birding & Wildlife Trail.

The Park’s Warren E. Fox Nature Center is the perfect starting point for a day or more of outdoor exploration and wildlife viewing. Walk the trails and go . . . — Map (db m92344)

New Jersey (Atlantic County), Hammonton — A Pane in the Glass FactoryWharton State Forest
In the 1840s, Batsto’s iron industry was failing due to competition from new iron industries using coal and iron ore (magnetite) rather than charcoal and bog ore (limonite). Looking for another industry to keep Batsto profitable, Jesse Richards . . . — Map (db m76154) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Hammonton — Auxiliary Power System
. . . — Map (db m76162) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Hammonton — Bog OreLimonite – Fe2O3-3H2O
Ore of this type was used in the Batsto Furnace. It can still be found in the coves, swamps and bogs of the Pine Barrens. — Map (db m76160) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Hammonton — Ore Boat or Barge
This boat is typical of the barges used to carry bog iron ore to the Batsto Furnace. It is estimated to be 150 years old and is 43 ft. long, with an 11 ft. beam. The boat was excavated from the north side of the Batsto Dam in 1957. — Map (db m76159) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Hammonton — Swimming the Ladder to SuccessWharton State Forest
While the Batsto Dam provided power to a once prospering village, it halted the natural migration of spawning fish. The Batsto River Fishway Project provides a pathway over the dam. This project improves the aquatic ecosystem and provides increased . . . — Map (db m76157) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Hammonton — Wagon
Although the exact date and manufacturer of this wagon are not known, it is possible that it was made by the Auburn Wagon Works in Martinsburg, WV around 1900. Wagons were used to transport goods both on the farm and to local markets, boat landings . . . — Map (db m76163) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Hammonton — William K. Phillis War Memorial
All Wars Memorial in honor of Veterans of all Wars who served and gave their lives in an effort to protect our country and to preserve out freedom justice and democracy. Dedicated as the William K. Phillis War Memorial World War II Korean War . . . — Map (db m76169) WM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Hammonton — Wiltsey's Sawmill
Built by Charles Wiltsey in 1800. Later sold to David Albertso who ran the mill into the 1840's. Located on Great Swamp branch of the Egg Harbor River. — Map (db m88457) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Linwood — Friends Meeting House and Burying Ground
Across this driveway stood the old Quaker (Friends) meeting house and school.

At the monthly meeting of the Friends dated Jan. 1, 1731, it was concluded that “ye meeting for worship shall be removed from John Sculls (house) and shall . . . — Map (db m92416) HM

New Jersey (Atlantic County), Linwood — Leedsville Schoolhouse
The Leedsville Schoolhouse, also known as Linwood School #1, was built in 1873. The building is owned by the City of Linwood and is occupied by the Linwood Historical Society. The building houses a local history museum and archives.

The . . . — Map (db m92425) HM

New Jersey (Atlantic County), Linwood — The Linwood Historic District
The Linwood Historic District has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.

The district reflects the architectural development of the community from village to city through the . . . — Map (db m92414) HM

New Jersey (Atlantic County), Linwood — Thomas Morris House
Built in 1853 by Thomas Morris deputy collector of customs, early customs house attached to rear of house. — Map (db m92409) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), May Landing — The Presbyterian Church Mays Landing
Cornerstone laid in 1841 on land donated by Samuel Richards. Services began in 1842. — Map (db m64269) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Mays Landing — American HotelBuilt 1839
Built of NJ sandstone by Samuel Richards, Weymouth Ironmaster, the inn and tavern served courthouse and Weymouth Furnace workers, travelers, sea captains and crews. Entered on National Register of Historic Places in 1979. — Map (db m92343) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Mays Landing — Atlantic County Court House
After the NJ legislature created Atlantic County on February 7, 1837,Weymouth Ironmaster Samuel Richards donated land to build this courthouse. Renovated in 1978. Mays Landing Historic District entered on National Register of Historic Places in 1990. — Map (db m92339) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Mays Landing — Fallen Soldiers Memorial
Dedicated to all those who gave their lives for their country. — Map (db m64268) WM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Mays Landing — George Wheaton’s ShipyardCirca 1830-1874
Shipbuilding developed in this area at an early period, probably between 1720-1750. George May lived near this spot and is alleged to have built sloops here prior to the Revolution. According to the Penna. Packet, an early shipyard was here in 1779. . . . — Map (db m92340) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Northfield — Jeremiah Leeds Grave
Jeremiah Leeds settled on Absecon Beach in 1783. The first permanent settler in what is now Atlantic City. — Map (db m92426) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — 3rd Battalion Gloucester County Militia
In honor of the men of the 3rd Battalion Gloucester County Militia Col. Richard Somers – Commanding Killed in Action Pvt. Forrest Bellangy (Killed at Trenton #2) Pvt. John Cain (Murdered while POW in Tuckerton) Lt. John Lucas (Killed in . . . — Map (db m76164) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — Battle of Chestnut Neck
In honor of the Brave Patriots of the Revolutionary War who defended their liberties and their homes in a battle fought near this site October 6, 1778 ---------- Dedicated October 6, 1911 Lower Plaque: Erected by the State of New Jersey . . . — Map (db m10811) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — British Anchor
This anchor, believed to be from a British Merchant ship captured by Privateers and sunk during the Battle of Chestnut Neck, October 6, 1778 Has been donated to the Col. Richard Somers Chapter, New Jersey Society, Sons of the American Revolution by . . . — Map (db m76165) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — Clark's Mill Meeting House
This stone marks the site of the Clark's Mill Meeting House the first Presbyterian church in Atlantic County built 1761 used until 1820 — Map (db m40603) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — Early Meeting House
Clark's Mills Meeting House, built by Thomas Clark about 1762, where preached the Rev. John Brainerd, stood on site of Clark Burying Ground. Thomas Clark, builder of the church, Thomas, Adrial, and Parker Clark, Revolutionary soldiers, are buried . . . — Map (db m40582) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — Franklin Inn
Eighteenth century inn possibly built 1750 One time home of Sea Captain and privateer Micajah Smith — Map (db m10869) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — Meeting House
In 1800, Micajah Smith built a Methodist Church on this site. Smith, a Revolutionary privateer captain, is buried here. — Map (db m10870) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — Privateers1776 – 1783
In honor of the “Privateers” who sailed and fought for American Independence “1776 – 1783” “Captains”                    “Ships” Samuel Allen John Badcock                  Rainbow John . . . — Map (db m40339) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — Ship’s Rib
Thought to have been sunk during the Battle of Chestnut Neck, October 6, 1778. Recovered during extreme low tide, 1971. — Map (db m76167) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — Smith's Meeting House
Built by Micajah Smith about 1800. Named "Methodist Union Chapel at Blackman's Mills" when incorporated in 1837. Micajah Smith, John Van Sant, privateer captains, and Jonas Morse and James Bell, Revolutionary soldiers, are buried in the Church Yard. — Map (db m40587) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — Welcome to Port Republic, New Jersey
The first settlement in what is now known as Atlantic County was made at Chestnut Neck, on the west bank of the Mullica River, near where the village of Port Republic is now located. In 1637, John Mullica sailed up the river that took his name, . . . — Map (db m76179) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Smithville — Historic Smithville Inn
Traced to John Smith in 1737. Isaac & James Smith bought Inn in 1819, an early stage stop. — Map (db m92439) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Bass Harbor
Bass Harbor was a busy port for barges and sloops which carried produce, wood and ice to local businesses and residences. From privateering and smuggling, to clamming and fishing, to recreational boating, the bayfront has always played an active . . . — Map (db m64277) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Bay Avenue Night Life
Gateway Casino, Tony Mart’s Bay Shores, Steel’s Ship Bar were all located at this end of Bay Avenue. They made up the musical heart of the bay-front, from the big bands and marathon dances of the 30’s and 40’s to the rock and roll greats of the 50’s . . . — Map (db m64290) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Burial Ground of Col. Richard Somers1737-1794
And his immediate family, Grandson of John Somers, First settler, 1693, member of 3rd Regiment, Gloucester County militia. Monument erected 1850 in memory of his son, Master Commandant Richard Somers, U.S.N. 1778-1804. Site restored 1981. — Map (db m92407) HM WM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Getting Around Somers Point
Due to its location on the water, this area has historically been a transportation hub. In 1717, John Somers, Supervisor of Roads for Cape May County, began work on the Nacote Trail. Now known as Shore Road, it connects Somers Point with Port . . . — Map (db m64291) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Shipbuilding
Due to the deepwater harbor and the availability of timber, shipbuilding thrived along the Great Egg Harbor Bay from 1860-1890. Three-masted schooners, the likes of the Emma Cottingham and the 21 Friends, as well as sloops and barges dotted the . . . — Map (db m64278) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Somers Mansion
Somers Mansion, thought to be the oldest house in Atlantic County, was built in the early 1720’s. The first record of the house is in the Meeting minutes of the Great Egg Harbor/Cape May Society of Friends in 1726 when the group met at the home of . . . — Map (db m64293) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Submarine Veterans Memorial
United States Submarine Veterans-our creed "To perpetuate the memory of our shipmates who gave their lives in the pursuit of their duties while serving their country. That their dedication deeds and supreme sacrifice be a constant source of . . . — Map (db m92408) WM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — The Anchorage
Dating from the late 1800’s, this empire-style building was one of the many tavern-hotels in the historic district. Tourists came for fishing parties, sea bathing, hearty food, healthful sea air, and a bay view from the veranda. — Map (db m64280) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Transportation
Shore Road, completed in 1731, was the main artery for transportation and trade connecting Nacote Creek (Port Republic) to Somerset Plantation (Somers Point) and to Cape May County by Job’s Ferry. In 1880, connecting Philadelphia to Ocean City, . . . — Map (db m64289) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — U.S. Navy Commandant Richard Somers’ Birthplace
Born at this site on September 15, 1778, educated in Philadelphia, Somers led the Battle of Tripoli and sacrificed his life on September 4, 1804. He is memorialized by both a monument at the U.S. Naval Academy and a U.S. Navy ship commissioned in . . . — Map (db m92406) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Weymouth — Atlantic County Parks Along the Great Egg Harbor River
Canoe trips: Canoeists can enjoy 12 miles of natural pine barrens environment along the Great Egg Harbor River from Penny Pot in Folsom through Weymouth Park to Lake Lenape in Mays Landing. Trip length varies from 2 hours to all day, depending on . . . — Map (db m64263) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Weymouth — Welcome to Atlantic County's Park at Weymouth Furnace
Welcome to Atlantic County’s Park at Weymouth Furnace which was developed around the remains of an early 1800’s iron furnace. These remains are an important link to Atlantic County’s rich history. This furnace turned out iron pipe and utilitarian . . . — Map (db m64264) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Weymouth — Weymouth FurnaceAtlantic County Historical Society
Early 19th Century South Jersey iron furnace. Iron was produced from “Bog Ore” mined in surrounding swamps and brought to furnace by small barges poled along canals. Iron Castings, Stoves, Pots and Pans were made. Weymouth cast cannon . . . — Map (db m64262) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Allendale — Allendale Veterans Monument
Dedicated to the memory of our boys who made the Supreme Sacrifice in World War II 1941 – 1945 David L. Ceely John J. Fox Edward J. Hamilton Eugene A. Ivers Bruce S. Macintyre John A. Sawyer Harold W. Scott, Jr. Charles A. Yeomans Dedicated . . . — Map (db m43939) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Allendale — Van Houten-Yeomans Homestead
John H. Van Houten came to this neighborhood in 1792 and later purchased land. His son, Paul J. Van Houten, built this farmhouse about 1869 on family acreage. In 1870 he willed it to his daughter, Margaret Ann, the wife of John L. Yeomans, a . . . — Map (db m43788) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Alpine — Along the Palisades Riverfront
The background photograph shows Alpine Landing – here – known earlier as Closter Landing or the Closter Dock – around 1897. From before the Revolutionary War, a steep road through a break in the cliffs of the Palisades allowed . . . — Map (db m47509) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Alpine — 62 — Closter Dock Road
Laid out in 1761 by New York over an earlier route when that province claimed jurisdiction over this area. Used by troops during the Revolutionary War, the road led from Closter to Closter Dock on the Hudson where farm produce was shipped to New . . . — Map (db m7208) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Alpine — The Old Alpine Trail
. . . — Map (db m6969) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Alpine — Untangling Folklore from Fact
On 20 November 1776 British general Charles Cornwallis led 5,000 men across the Hudson and up a primitive farm road in the Palisades to begin the march south to capture the American fortifications at Fort Lee (A on the map, lower right). Word . . . — Map (db m47508) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Bergenfield — African American Baptist Church Cemetery
Francis Jackson, a freed slave, purchased 7 ¾ acres of woodland here in 1868. Later it would include the black cemetery and “a plain neat little church” built about 1873. The Pastor, Rev. Nicholas Fr. Jackson, lived nearby. The cemetery . . . — Map (db m7509) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Bergenfield — Old Slave Cemetery
Founded 1672 Rededicated May 17, 1964 Restored by the Boy Scouts of Bergenfield. — Map (db m7510) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Bergenfield — 2 — South Church
Organized in 1723 as the Schraalenburg Dutch Reformed Church. First church erected in 1728, 150 feet to the east, the present building in 1799. The True Reformed Church was founded here in 1822. The church became Presbyterian in 1913. John Henry . . . — Map (db m7506) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Bogota — 3 — “Achter Col” Colony
In 1642, when this area was part of New Netherland, Johannes Winckelman built near here a ninety-foot long fur trading post and farmhouse – a building which sheltered both settlers and cattle. During the 1643 Indian war it was protected by . . . — Map (db m7128) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Cliffside Park — Palisades Amusement Park
Dedicated to the memory of Palisades Amusement Park " Here we were happy. Here we grew!" "This is dedicated to the men and women who worked and played at Palisades Amusement Park, especially to the man who was its Spirit, its Shaker and . . . — Map (db m43656) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — Closter Public School
In 1899 the schoolhouse property was bought from the Bloomer family. The following year a two story, square plan, Renaissance Revival style building was completed with 3 classrooms and an assembly room for grades K-8. In 1907, 4 classrooms were . . . — Map (db m7912) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — 65 — Daniel De Clark House
Built about 1786 by Daniel De Clark, the frame kitchen wing was added in the early 1800’s. De Clark operated a large cattle and dairy farm on 170 acres of land. In 1815 son William was the owner and he sold the house to his grandson, Jacob D.C. . . . — Map (db m7916) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — Hilderbrant Naugle House
Built in 1871 for Hilderbrant Naugle on a suburban lot near the Closter R.R. depot, the frame gable-front-and wing house is notable for the ornamental scroll work of Gothic design. Naugle was a carpenter and clockmaker who made improvements to his . . . — Map (db m7919) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — Nagel – Auryansen Cemetery
This final resting place of early Closter settlers was established by Barent and Resolvert Nagel on their 1,030-acre tract jointly purchased in 1710. The first burial is believed to be Jan Adriansen, c. 1721. The Nagel brothers divided their land . . . — Map (db m63546) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — 63 — Nagel (Naugle) House
Built about 1745 on land purchased in 1710 by Barent and Resolvert Nagel. The frame wing was added later. Owned by Barent’s son John by 1754 and later by grandson David Naugle, a militiaman during the Revolutionary War. In about 1784 David built a . . . — Map (db m7910) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — 64 — Reformed Church of ClosterBuilt 1862
Established as the “Protestant Reformed Dutch Church of Closter City”, it was the first church erected in the Borough of Closter. Dedicated October 7, 1862, tradition says the church was the headquarters of the “Harrington . . . — Map (db m7917) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — The Closter Horseman
He saw the redcoats on the eastern hills. This Closterman who galloped through the mist to warn the troops encamped down the road at Fort Lee. His plow horse carrying him to glory on the most important ride in history, the hinge on which the door . . . — Map (db m63549) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — The Nauglel / Auryansen Cemetery
This active graveyard dates to the earliest settlement period of Closter’s history. Documented burials date to circa 1722 and include Dutch pioneer families with names like Vervalen, Naugle (Nagle), DeClark, Ferdon, Parsells, Auryansen, Demarest, . . . — Map (db m63551) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — Walter Parcells Homestead
In 1795 Walter Parcells, a mason, erected this house of local stone on 34 acres of land on what was then known as Closter New Road. Built in the Federal style, it is 1½ stories high with a gambrel style roof. The frame wing was added later and . . . — Map (db m7915) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Cresskill — 5 — Benjamin P. Westervelt Homesite
The main wing of this house was built in 1808 by Benjamin P. Westervelt who served in the local militia during the Revolution. The site of this house has been continuously owned by the Westervelt family since early colonial times. General Erskine’s . . . — Map (db m7207) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Cresskill — Camp Merritt
Established A.D. 1917 for use in connection with the port of embarkation at Hoboken New Jersey. Named in honor of Major-General Wesley Merritt Continously in service of his country July 1, 1855 to June 16, 1900 — Map (db m7495) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Cresskill — Camp Merritt Memorial
In memory of those soldiers who gave their lives for their country while on duty in Camp Merritt. This monument marks the center of the camp and faces the highway over which more than a million American soldiers passed on their way to and from . . . — Map (db m7496) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Cresskill — 66 — Cap’t John Huyler’s Farm
In 1776, a 180 acre farm here was owned by Loyalist John Ackerson. It extended from the Tenakill to the Hudson, bordered on the north by the road used by British invaders that year. Seized as enemy property, it was bought in 1784 by Militia Captain . . . — Map (db m7212) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Cresskill — 4 — Huyler’s Landing Road
In colonial times a crude road led from here to a landing at the Hudson River. According to the reports and maps of Generals Erskine and Wayne this road was used by Cornwallis in attacking Fort Lee on November 20, 1776. On May 10, 1779 it was used . . . — Map (db m7206) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Demarest — 67 — Demarest Railroad Station
Built 1872 at “Demarests Station” on the Northern Railroad of New Jersey. Designed by noted architect J. Cleveland Cady, it was considered the “handsomest on the line.” The depot was built of Palisades stone quarried on the . . . — Map (db m7508) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Demarest — Douwe Talema
“Here lies the remains of Douwe Talema, who died on the 11th day of May 1779 in his Ninetieth Year. This aged Man at his Residence near this Place was wilfully and barbarously murdered by a Party of Tories. Traitors to their country who . . . — Map (db m63547) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Demarest — Sautes Tave’s Begraven Ground
Sautes Tave’s Begraven Ground Pre-Revolutionary Cemetery Placed by David Demarest Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution May 30th, 1957 — Map (db m63548) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Dumont — 6 — Derick Banta House
This example of Dutch Colonial architecture was built between 1780-1790 by Derick Banta, soldier in the American Revolution, after his birthplace here was burned by Tories. Owned by the Quackenbush family from 1792, it was sold to Isaac Dixon in . . . — Map (db m7507) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Dumont — In Grateful Remembrance
In grateful remembrance of the Citizens of Dumont who so nobly answered their country’s call to arms to fight in the Great War for Liberty and Democracy 1917 - 1919 [A list of names follow] Along this road Washington and his . . . — Map (db m7512) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Dumont — 7 — Old North Church
Organized in 1723 as the Schraalenburgh Reformed Dutch Church. First church was built in 1728. In 1801 the present Old North Reformed Church was built, one mile north of first site, and continues as a Reformed congregation. This sanctuary is . . . — Map (db m7486) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), East Rutherford — Carlton Hill World War II Memorial
. . . — Map (db m62381) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — Burdett's Landing1776
In the time of the revolution, the road turned here and followed the brook to Peter Burdett’s ferry, the important Hudson River approach to General Nathaniel Greene’s encampment at Fort Lee, on the hill, and the connecting link with the American . . . — Map (db m22101) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — Edgewater Veterans Memorial
For Whom The Bell Tolls This Bell is Dedicated to All Veterans of Edgewater Who Served Their Country Honorably in Time Of War & Peace 1983 — Map (db m38961) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — Edgewater Vietnam Veterans Monument
Lest We Forget This Memorial Is Dedicated To The Residents Of The Borough Of Edgewater Who Served In Defense Of Our Country During The Period Of The Southeast Asian Conflict May 28, 1973 In Memory Of Edward . . . — Map (db m38962) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — Edgewater World War I Monument
* Farrell J.P. • * Murphy M. • * Regan W. • * Weir G.H. • Zaikowski A. • Allen Jack • Adams H. • Aarons S.M. • Burns Leroy • Bernhardt W. • Buckley Leo • Bobat S. • Baker Wm. • Berton G. • Burns B. • Blaustein M. • Blaustein H. • Bilanti A. • . . . — Map (db m38964) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — Edgewater World War II Memorial
In Memory of the Men Of Edgewater, N.J. Who Gave Their Lives For Their Country In World War II Paul O. Allen • William E. Barber • William J. Conway • John J. Delaney • John F. Eager • Robert M. English • Benjamin L. Godleski • Alonza H. . . . — Map (db m38960) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — 68 — Ferryboat Binghamton
Built for the Hoboken Ferry Company and launched in1905, it plied the Hudson River between Hoboken and Manhattan (Barclay St.) for 62 years. This double-ender steamboat was designed to carry 986 passengers and a number of vehicles. It was in . . . — Map (db m9528) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — Tsunesaburo Makiguchi
Dedicated to Tsunesaburo Makiguchi Visionary teacher and child advocate. He founded the Soka Gakkai in 1930 to promote humanistic education education based on Buddhist principles. He was arrested for opposing the Japanese military . . . — Map (db m38963) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — Vriessendael
"Vriessendael" 1640 Colony of David DeVries The first known colony in present Bergen County was founded in 1640 by David Pietersz DeVries, a Dutch explorer, sea captain and patroon. Then part of New Netherland, the plantation included the . . . — Map (db m38959) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Elmwood Park — 69 — Van Houten-Hillman House
Built c. 1782 by Cornelius J. Van Houten as an addition to the earlier house of his father, John C. Van Houten. Located in “Slotterdam”, the farm stretched between the Passaic and Saddle Rivers and was raided during the Revolutionary . . . — Map (db m43782) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Emerson — Emerson Veterans Monument
Let Us Hold in Honored Memory Those Who Served Their Country In the Great War 1914 -1918 [Column A:] Reginald S. Aberle • Frank Aurricchio • Anthony Bamond • Frederick Block • Dominick Brescia • Anthony Decker • Frank Decker • Charles . . . — Map (db m22165) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Emerson — 70 — Kinderkamack
An area which in colonial times included part of Emerson, Kinderkamack extended southward into part of River Edge. The name is found recorded as early as 1686. This portion became Etna in the late 19th century and Emerson in 1909. The road which . . . — Map (db m8634) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 74 — Brookside Chapel
Built in 1860 on Palisade Avenue as “The Englewood Presbyterian Church”, it was the first church established in the city. A new, larger church was built on the original site and the old building was taken down, stone by stone, and . . . — Map (db m7011) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 72 — De Mott – Westervelt House
Built about 1808 by Henry DeMott, this sandstone Dutch Colonial house was once attached to the pre-Revolutionary homestead of Albert Lydecker. Material from the older house used in the present frame wing built c. 1810 by Peter Westervelt. The . . . — Map (db m7133) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 8 — English Neighborhood Union School
This former school was originally built in 1818 near the Liberty Pole Tavern. In 1850 it was moved here and rebuilt with the original materials. This part of Englewood was then known as Highwood. The name Englewood School was adopted in 1897. It . . . — Map (db m7129) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 73 — First Presbyterian Church
Organized in 1860 as “The Englewood Presbyterian Church”, the first edifice was erected on this site in the same year. It was the first church building in Englewood and the first Presbyterian congregation in Bergen County. Today’s . . . — Map (db m6970) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 9 — John G. Benson House
Built c. 1800 by John G. Benson, a farmer, and from 1794 to 1797, a captain in the militia. This house, an example of post-Revolutionary War Dutch Colonial architecture, was built on property confiscated by New Jersey from the Reverend Garret . . . — Map (db m7009) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 71 — Liberty Pole
This area named for a Liberty Pole erected here before the Revolution. The strategic junction was the scene of many American and British troop movements, including the 1776 retreat of the Continental Army from Fort Lee, and British activity in 1776 . . . — Map (db m7012) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — Liberty Pole
The Liberty Pole erected here in 1766 to celebrate repeal of Stamp Act has been replaced several times. Present one, 1964. — Map (db m7013) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 75 — Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church
Organized in 1865, the congregation first met in homes and in the armory on Van Brunt St. The original church was built in 1866. The present chapel was erected in 1895 as a parish hall. Today’s Gothic church structure, built in 1899, has the rose . . . — Map (db m7010) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood Cliffs — Bathing in the Hudson
This photograph was taken here at “Bloomer’s Beach” in the summer of 1932. From the Park’s Annual Report for that year: “The bathing beaches and bath houses were open to the public from the latter part of May until Labor Day. . . . — Map (db m64906) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Cadmus House Museum
Built about 1806 by Jacob Haring and purchased by Thomas Cadmus in 1816. He was a farmer who owned adjacent land and today the house is known by his name. There were many later owners and in the 1920s it became a commercial property. The two-room . . . — Map (db m62967) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Fair Lawn Memorial Park
This Park is dedicated As a living memorial to those of Fair Lawn who made the supreme sacrifice in defense of their country the United States of America Dedicated May 29, 1949 — Map (db m63477) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Holocaust and World War II Memorial
This plaque is dedicated to the millions who perished because of hate and intolerance, and the millions who gave their lives defending humanity in the war from 1939-1945. Those who forget history are bound to repeat it. Presented to: The Borough . . . — Map (db m63374) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Honor RollDedicated to These Fair Lawn Residents Who Died in Defense of America
WORLD WAR I Harry Cappendycke - Army - Oct. 8, 1918 Daniel S. Yeomans - Army - Oct. 8, 1918 Charles Marshner - Army - Oct. 14, 1918 WORLD WAR II Ellsworth Smith - Army - Sep. 9, 1942 William M. Cozine Jr. - Air Force - Feb. 6, 1943 . . . — Map (db m63380) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — In Memory of Fair Lawn Police Officer Mary Ann ColluraWho on this Hallowed Ground Gave Her Life in the Line-of-Duty on April 17, 2003
"Set your goals high. Work hard and believe in yourself and you can be whatever you want." Mary Ann Collura. Dedicated by the grateful Residents of Bergen County — Map (db m63048) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Jewish War Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of the men and women of Jewish faith who gave their lives in the service of their country. Placed in their memory by the Lt. James I. Platt Post No. 651 Jewish War Veterans of the United States August 19, . . . — Map (db m63528) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Morlot Ave - 33rd St. Bridge Over the Passaic RiverBetween the Borough of Fair Lawn, Bergen County and the City of Paterson, Passaic County
Reflecting the need for additional river crossings as the area grew in the late 19th century, the contract for the original bridge was awarded in July 1890 to Riverside Bridge and Iron Works of Paterson, N.J. for $8,895. This original bridge was . . . — Map (db m62435) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — 10 — Naugle House
This colonial home was built in the 18th century by a Naugle. He was said to have been a paymaster in Layayette’s Light Division. The house served as a landmark on many Revolutionary War maps. It is believed that Lafayette visited here in 1824. . . . — Map (db m63050) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Radburn1929
Included in the New Jersey Register of Historic Places and National Register of Historic Places, Radburn achieved its special place in the realm of community planning and architecture as a forerunner in new town planning and cluster development. . . . — Map (db m63527) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Radburn StationDate: 1930 — Clarence S. Stein, Architect
Radburn Station, located in the Borough of Fair Lawn, was built in 1930 and designed by the architect Clarence S. Stein. Stylistically, the building is significant since the station is a fine example of the Dutch Colonial Revival trend in . . . — Map (db m62968) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — 76 — Site of Hopper-Croucher Homestead
One of the last farmsteads in Fair Lawn stood on this site. The house built by Henry A. Hopper in 1855 was razed for road improvement in 1989. He was a Sheriff and Freeholder of Bergen County and served in the State Legislature. In 1919 William M. . . . — Map (db m63049) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Slave House
On this site stood what was known as "The Slave House" Part of the Acker estate "Fair Lawn" from which the borough received its name. The "Slave House" was built much earlier than the 1865 Acker home and may have been used as a shelter for . . . — Map (db m63295) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — We Will Never Forget
This piece of steel from the World Trade Center is in memory of those residents who perished that day and to the brave men and women who gave their lives to save so many others. Their courage and love of our country will be a source of strength . . . — Map (db m63391) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Abatis Construction at Fort Lee
Fortifications were protected by obstacles, such as an abatis, or other major hindrances to assaulting troops. They were easily placed before a parapet, or breastwork, wherever trees were plentiful and were used to supplement defensive rampart walls . . . — Map (db m7735) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — American Éclair StudiosLinwood Avenue • Fort Lee, NJ — Film History Was Made Here
          In 1911, the Société Francaise des Films et Cinematographs Éclair purchased land on the west side of Linwood Avenue for the construction of a motion picture studio in downtown Fort Lee. Éclair was a manufacturer of film and film . . . — Map (db m54901) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Cannons
The word “cannon” is derived from the Latin canna, meaning tube, pipe or gun and dates back to the 13th Century. In the 1400’s, the term described a cylinder made from iron bars “soldered” together and fortified with . . . — Map (db m7737) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Christopher Columbus Memorial Plaza
Christopher Columbus Memorial Plaza Dedicated Oct. 11, 1971 Leonardo da Vinci Society Bergen County New Jersey ( Lower Plaques : ) Granite Monument donated by Anthony K. Macagna Bronze sculpture donated by Adeline Bracco in memory of . . . — Map (db m62906) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — F. F. Fred CavaliereEngine Company No. 1 — In Memorium
Killed in the Line of Duty at the Evans Film Fire – February 7th, 1925 Linwood Ave. & Main St. • Fort Lee, N.J.           On Saturday, February 7, 1925 the department responded to a fire at the National Evans Film Laboratory located at . . . — Map (db m54910) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Fort Lee Historic Park
Beneath these cliffs, Henry Hudson’s Half-Moon was welcomed by the Lenni Lenape Indians on September 3, 1609. Nearly 167 years later, this giant Bluff Rock became a strategic stronghold in the American War for Independence as the conflict raged . . . — Map (db m7707) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Fort Lee Road
Fort Lee Road (Main Street) was the main roadway to General Washington’s Headquarters in Hackensack. Supplies and men were in constant movement on the road to re-supply Fort Washington in New York. The Continental Army began it’s “Retreat to . . . — Map (db m7657) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — General George Washington1732-1799
General Washington was in Fort Lee many times during the Battle of New York. His main headquarters was in Hackensack, but had a temporary headquarters in Fort Lee near Anderson Avenue and Elizabeth Street. His main objective in Fort Lee was to . . . — Map (db m7647) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — General Henry Knox1750-1806
General Knox was the Commander of the Continental Army Artillery. He was in charge of the placement of the artillery cannons on the palisades in Fort Lee. His main objective was to stop the British fleet from sailing up the Hudson River. He was one . . . — Map (db m7650) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — General Horatio Gates1727-1806
General Gates was commissioned a Brigadier General and was appointed Adjutant General of the Continental Army in 1775 by orders of General Washington. He was in Fort Lee with General Washington in October 1776. — Map (db m7652) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — General Hugh Mercer1726-1777
Fort Lee was constructed by General Mercer on October 18, 1776 on orders from General George Washington. Originally called Fort Constitution, it was re-christened Fort Lee in honor of General Charles Lee, second in command of the Continental Army, . . . — Map (db m7653) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — General John “Black Jack” Pershing1860-1948
Spanish American War Mexican Expedition General of the Armies World War I Attended the dedication of Monument Park as keynote speaker in 1908 — Map (db m7656) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — General Nathaniel Greene1742-1786
General Greene took command of Fort Lee on September 17, 1776 from General James Iwing. At that time there were around 2,667 troops stationed in Fort Lee. The encampment was the main quartermaster post for supplying men and equipment to Fort . . . — Map (db m7648) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Historical Chronology 1776
(1) July 12 - Fort Lee’s fortifications laid out. Together with Fort Washington on the opposite bank and aided by a river barrier, the twin fortresses are intended to thwart British control of the Hudson. (2) July12 - General Howe’s forces . . . — Map (db m7745) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Liberty Tree Memorial
This American Liberty Elm was named after “The Liberty Tree: Our Country’s first Symbol of Freedom.” On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of the . . . — Map (db m70392) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Military Magazine
The military magazine derives its name from the Arabic word, “Makhazin”, meaning granary, or storehouse. Revolutionary War magazines were constructed with emphasis on fire and waterproofing, easy accessibility to the guns serviced . . . — Map (db m7742) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Mortar Battery
Mortar shells from this battery plummeted down in high soaring arcs upon the warships, tearing through the canvas sails and bursting upon the wooden deck. This mortar battery, joined with heavy guns on both sides of the River, made running the . . . — Map (db m7705) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Musketry Breastwork
This defensive breastwork was built on the western edge of the bluff and guarded the road from Burdette’s Ferry to the west (to the Bastion). The parapets of timber filled with soil were built upon a stone base and were sufficient height to afford . . . — Map (db m7710) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Old Army Road
Old Army Road, now called Palisade Road, was used by General Washington and his staff to reach the palisades for observing movement on the Hudson River crossings and New York. The road was also used to re-supply General Knox’s artillery positioned . . . — Map (db m7658) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Palisades Interstate Park
Palisades Interstate Park has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the History of the United . . . — Map (db m7344) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Preserving the Palisades
Through the 1890s, quarries blasted the Palisades for stone to make gravel and concrete. The largest of these, Carpenter Brothers’ quarry, was just south of here (background photograph and B). Many thousands of tons of broken rock were taken . . . — Map (db m47511) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Protection of the Hudson River
On July 12th, 1776, the British warships Phoenix and Rose sailed beneath the unarmed Bluff Rock, later named Fort Lee. This provocative action led Congress to order General Washington “By every art and whatever expense to obstruct effectively . . . — Map (db m7712) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Solax StudiosLemoine Ave • Fort Lee, NJ — Film History Was Made Here
          The Solax Studio was built in 1912 by Alice Guy Blaché, who had begun directing films for the Gaumont Company in Paris in 1896. In 1907, Leon Gaumont sent Alice and her new husband, Herbert Blaché, to take charge of Gaumont’s . . . — Map (db m72627) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Soldier Hut
At Fort Lee, “hutting” – the building of permanent huts – was started at General Greene’s command to: “Fix proper places for barracks, none to be nearer the fort than 50 rods…build timber huts…boards are to be had . . . — Map (db m7738) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Soldiers of the American Revolution- 1776 –
(Front of Monument) : In commemoration of the Soldiers of the American Revolution - 1776 – Erected by the State of New Jersey under the auspices of the Fort Lee Revolutionary Monument Association - 1908 – (Left of . . . — Map (db m7348) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — The American CrisisThomas Paine – December 1776
These are the times that try men’s souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. In celebration of Fort . . . — Map (db m47538) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — The Barbette Battery
This battery was believed to be the “Barbette Battery” as its location commanded a large field of fire of the river, stretching North to South from the Chevaux-De-Frise to the Bluff Rock’s southern edge. A Barbette Battery’s guns . . . — Map (db m7740) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Thomas Paine1737-1809
Author-Soldier “Common Sense”                     “American Crisis”   January 10, 1776                   December 19, 1776 Thomas Paine volunteered for the Continental Army. He marched to Amboy, New Jersey, located off . . . — Map (db m7655) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Veterans of the Battle of the BulgeArdennes
Dedicated to the men and women of the United States Army who participated in the Battle of the Bulge during World War II in Belgium and Luxembourg the greatest land battle fought by the United States Army under extreme winter conditions suffering . . . — Map (db m54913) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Washington’s Retreat to VictoryNovember 20th, 1776
New Jersey is known as the Crossroads of the American Revolution and this Fort Lee crossroad on Main Street represents one of the most important sites in the United States. Here, on present day Main Street, Major General Nathanael Greene led the . . . — Map (db m70375) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Washington’s Retreat to VictoryNovember 20th, 1776
This retreat route on Main Street in Fort Lee, N.J. enabled General George Washington’s army to escape capture from the British and prevent the end of the War for Independence. Patriot and soldier Thomas Paine wrote about his experience in Fort Lee . . . — Map (db m70376) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Washington’s Retreat to VictoryNovember 20th, 1776
British Lieutenant General Charles Lord Cornwallis and five thousand of his troops crossed the Hudson River and made their way to Fort Lee from Huyler’s Landing Road on November 20th, 1776. General Nathanael Greene, warned of the invasion by a . . . — Map (db m70384) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Washington’s Retreat to VictoryNovember 20th, 1776
The Continental Army’s retreat route ran from the bluffs of Fort Lee’s Palisades, site of the American fortifications and nearby encampment, west on Fort Lee Road (present day Main Street) and continued west through the current towns of Leonia, . . . — Map (db m70433) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Willat/Fox & Triangle StudiosLinwood Avenue • Fort Lee, NJ. — Film History Was Made Here
          The Willat Film Manufacturing Corp. began assembling property at the northwest corner of Main Street and Linwood Avenue in 1913, and by 1915 owned three lots occupying nearly half this block. Carl A. Willatowski, a film pioneer known . . . — Map (db m54905) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — World/Peerless & Metropolitan StudiosLewis Street • Fort Lee, NJ. — Film History Was Made Here
          Jules Brulatour, who had earned a fortune as the agent for George Eastman’s motion picture film, built the Peerless studio on Lewis Street in 1914. It was the original home of the World Film Corporation, which Brulatour formed with . . . — Map (db m54909) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Franklin Lakes — 78 — Ackerman-Boyd House
Built about 1793 by James A. Ackerman on land owned by the family since 1727. The farm was then in the locality known as Ponds Neighborhood and within the old Township of Franklin. In 1841 the house was purchased by Adam Boyd who farmed the land . . . — Map (db m43853) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Franklin Lakes — 12 — Franklin Avenue
Originated as an Indian trail across land the Redmen called “Campgaw”. It was surveyed during the Revolutionary War by Robert Erskine, George Washington’s mapmaker, and connected settlements in the Ramapo and Saddle River Valleys. . . . — Map (db m12395) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Franklin Lakes — 77 — Franklin Lake
Known to the Indians as “Michanagrape,” these waters were formed by the melting glacier some 10,000 years ago. In 1700 the lake was named Christian Pool when it was included in a land grant to Michael Hawden. Later called Great Pond, . . . — Map (db m52941) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Franklin Lakes — Franklin Lakes United Methodist Church
Organized in 1855 as the Methodist Episcopal Church of Campgaw, the first church was built on Circle Ave, in 1856, but was destroyed by fire in 1919. William V. Pulis donated a lot ‘in a most commanding part of the village.’ and the stone church . . . — Map (db m27048) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Garfield — Post Ford
Frequently used by both armies during the Revolutionary War — Map (db m33552) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Garfield — Washington’s March
. . . — Map (db m62401) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — Glen Rock
Glen Rock Pamachapura, or "Stone From Heaven", supposed Indian council site. Town of Glen Rock took its name from it in 1894. — Map (db m32418) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — Glen Rock Honor Roll
World War 1914 - 1918 Glen Rock Honor Roll They Fought The Good Fight. They Finished The Course. They Kept The Faith * Peter W. Ebbert • * Frederick Jensen • * Mortimer Kerr • * Jacob E. Phillips • * Frank Squires • John Ackerman • Roland . . . — Map (db m32419) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — Glen Rock Honored Heroes
For God And Country Glen Rock Honored Heroes World War II   Korean War Vietnam War 1941   World War II   1945 William P. Abbott • Hubert Banks • James G. Barklie • Richard J. Boonstra • William R. Francis • Charles J. Haeberle • Robert . . . — Map (db m32416) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — 13 — Hopper Family Burying Ground
Located on the boundary between two Hopper farms, the cemetery was shared by both families and their relatives for almost one hundred years. The earliest known burial was in 1804. — Map (db m36966) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — 14 — Hopper Homestead
North wing built 1780 by Hendrick H. Hopper in area then called “Small Lots”. Center section erected by son John, in early 1800’s. The farmhouse was sold to the Hillmann family in 1895, ending four generations and 115 years of . . . — Map (db m36967) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — 79 — Hopper House
Located in “Small Lots”, Henry G. Hopper began the construction of this house about 1788 on a 120 acre farm. Son Garret erected the Dutch-style main house in the early 1800’s. The north frame wing was built in the 1850’s for his son . . . — Map (db m36971) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — 15 — The Red Brick Schoolhouse
This former one room Schoolhouse was the original Ridgewood Grove School Number 44. Built in 1846 it was used until 1894 by Ridgewood Township. In 1894 the proposed closing of this school resulted in the incorporation of the Borough of Glen Rock. It . . . — Map (db m36969) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Archibald Campbell Family Monument
    Archibald Campbell – 1730 – 12/28/1798, age 68. Born on the Isle of Man, came to Hackensack in 1765. Tavern keeper, host to General George Washington. Hackensack’s first Postmaster. Exemplary in all the duties of life, a . . . — Map (db m62947) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Archibald Campbell’s Tavern
Archibald Campbell’s tavern stood here. He supplied meals to General Washington when Peter Zabriskie’s home was used as military headquarters between November 13 and November 21, 1776 during the retreat across New Jersey. The army marched down Main . . . — Map (db m7227) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Armenian Genocide
In remembrance of the Armenian Genocide 1915 – 1923 where 1,500,000 innocent Armenians were massacred by the Ottoman Turks. Dedicated July 8, 1990 — Map (db m62945) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — 81 — Bank House
Erected about 1831 by the Washington Banking Company. The first bank in present Bergen County, it opened in the nearby Mansion House in 1825-26. After the bank failed in 1833, it housed the offices of prominent lawyers and judges. Later the home of . . . — Map (db m6817) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Bergen County Court House / Bergen County Old Jail
[Bergen County Court House Side]: James Riely Gordon (1863–1937), noted architect of public buildings used the Beaux Arts style to reflect the power and dignity of American institutions of government and justice. Ground was broken . . . — Map (db m6869) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Bergen County Old JailConstructed In 1910-12 — Restored 2002-05
The Bergen County Jail is an impressive and oppressive building. It has a cruciform plan with a castellated exterior, marked by a heavily corbelled battlement and a squat central octagonal tower. Its fortress style of architecture, a prototype of . . . — Map (db m62941) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Bofor 40 MM Auto CannonShip/Submarine Air Defence
Specifications: Caliber: 40 MM Weight: 6,500 lbs Rate of Fire: 6,500 lbs Rate of Fire: 160 Rounds per Min. Range: 4500 Yards (Tracer Burn Out) Velocity: 2890 ft/sec Warhead: Armor Piercing/High Explosive This weapon could be used as a single gun . . . — Map (db m64483) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Brigadier General Enoch Poor
Dedicated to the memory of Brigadier General Enoch Poor by the New Jersey Society of the Sons of the American Revolution: Born at Andover, Mass., June 21, 1736; Died near Hackensack, N.J., Sept. 8, 1780. In command of a New . . . — Map (db m6812) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Col. Richard Varick
. . . — Map (db m62949) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Comfort Women
In memory of hundreds of thousands of women and girls from Korea, China, Taiwan, the Philippines, the Netherlands, and Indonesia who were forced into sexual slavery by the Armed Forces of Imperial Japan before and during World War II. Dedicated on . . . — Map (db m64465) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — First House in Hackensack
The first house built in the City of Hackensack was that of Dr. Van Emburgh (1686) located along a creek at the rear of the Court House. Early settlers had huts on this creek where they traded furs with the Indians. — Map (db m62938) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — First Reformed Church
This tablet marks the site of the original church erected in 1696. Placed by Paskack Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1930 — Map (db m62948) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Gen. Enoch Poor
Regarded by Washington and Lafayette as a great general. He died nearby in 1780 and lies buried in the Reformed Churchyard. — Map (db m6815) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Grave of Gen. Enoch Poor
In memory of the Honorable Brigadier Gen. Enoch Poor of the State of New Hampshire who departed this life on the 8 day of Sept. 1780 aged 44 Years.---------------Washington, Lafayette and a portion of the American army attended the burial of Gen. . . . — Map (db m62951) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Hackensack
Hackensack became the County Seat of Bergen in 1709. The name “Bergen” was probably from “Bergen Op Zoom,” a major town in Holland. — Map (db m62937) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Hackensack Soldier and Sailor Memorial
Dedicated May 30, 1908 to the memory of the Soldiers and Sailors who lost their lives in the wars of the United States. — Map (db m62950) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Hackensack War Memorial
Erected in 1924 by the people of Hackensack in Memory of its soldiers and sailors who fought in the wars of the United States of America. [Four panels around the monument's base depict different American wars] Map (db m6873) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — 16 — Historic First Reformed Church
Earliest records of this pioneer Dutch church, dated 1686, mark it as the second oldest in New Jersey. Old stones embedded in the east wall show the initials of founding families and first settlers. The old burying ground contains the grave of . . . — Map (db m6820) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Holocaust
In memory of the millions killed in the holocaust 1939 – 1945 Bergen County Board of Freeholders Doris Mahalick, Director D. Bennett Mazur Gerald A. Calabrese • Joseph Carucci, Jr. • John F. Curran • Harry J. Gerecke • Jeremiah F. O’Connor • . . . — Map (db m62946) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — 80 — John I. Hopper House
Built in 1818, by John I. Hopper in old “Polifly”, this Federal style house stands on land purchased in 1694 by his great-grandfather Hendrick. The farm remained in the Hopper family for seven generations. Slaves lived in the kitchen . . . — Map (db m6864) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Kaiten Type II(Means = Turned Towards Heaven) — WWII Japanese Suicide Human Torpedo
Normal Displacement: 13.4 Tons Maximum Speed: 40 kts Submerged Range: 13.7 miles @ 40 kts, 48 miles @ 20 kts Warhead: 3417 lbs High Explosives Propultion: Hydrogen Peroxide 1500 HP Crew: 2 Dimensions: 54’ – 0” Long, 4’ – 6” . . . — Map (db m64471) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Lark Anti-aircraft Missile
The Lark Anti-aircraft Missile Program began in late 1944, when the U.S. Navy needed a new weapon against the ever more serious Japanese suicide-bomber (Kamikaze) threat. In January 1945, a Lark configuration had been established and requirements . . . — Map (db m64478) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Mansion House
Peter Zabriskie built a home here in 1751 which contained fine appointments including Dutch tile fireplaces depicting biblical scenes. Enlarged in 1776, the home was called Mansion House later Mansion Hotel. The structure was demolished in 1945. — Map (db m62936) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Memory of the Defenders of the Union
To the Perpetual Memory of the Defenders of the Union 1861-1865. — Map (db m65719) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — PBR Mark II River Patrol Boat
Specifications: Hull: Fiberglass Beam: 11’ – 8” Length: 31’ – 11” Weight: 18,000 lbs Speed: 35 knots Engines: Two Detroit V350 Marine Diesel Jet Pumps: Two Jacuzzi’s at 10,000 Gals/Min Armament: Forward – Twin 50 cal. . . . — Map (db m64475) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Polaris A-1 Missle
Prime Contractor: Lockheed Missiles and Space Company Type: Fleet Ballistic Missile (FBM) Diameter: 4’ – 6” Length: 28’ Weight: 28,000 lbs Wing or Fin Span: None Power Plant: Solid Propellant Speed: Hypersonic Range: 1,380 miles . . . — Map (db m64477) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Regulus I SSM-N-8Submarine Launched Surface to Surface Missile
Specifications: Diameter: 56”       Length: 32’ – 2” Weight: 10,311 lbs       Wings: 21’ – 0” Range: 500 Nautical Miles Engines: Ramjet Warhead: 3,000 lbs or a 10 kiloton nuclear device Navigation: Radio controlled by . . . — Map (db m64479) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — 125 — Revolutionary War Cemetery
Soldiers of the Revolution are buried in this cemetery of the True Reformed Dutch Church Deeded by Robert Campbell March 8, 1833 Erected by the Bergen County Historical Society 1937 — Map (db m7229) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Seehund(Means = Seal (Sea-Dog)) — WWII German 2 Man Coastal Defense Submarine
Normal Displacement: 14.94 Tons Max Speed: 5.6 kts (Sub), 7.7 kts (Surface) Range: 300 miles @ 7 kts (Surface)             63 miles @ 3 kts (Submerged) Armament: 2 External Loaded 21” Electric Propultion   Diesel (Surface) 60 hp             . . . — Map (db m64473) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Site of the Court-House & Jail
Burned by the enemy 1780 Erected by The Bergen County Historical Society 1922 — Map (db m6872) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Slavery
In memory of the millions of African people who perished during the middle passage, suffered the horrors of slavery, and endured the inhumanity of racial segregation. We also remember the heroes who have struggled and continue to work for freedom, . . . — Map (db m62943) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Still on Patrol
U.S. Navy submarines paid heavily for their success in World War II. A total of 374 officers and 3131 men are on board these 52 U.S. Submarines still on “patrol.” Albacore • Amberjack • Argonaut • Barbel • Bonefish • Bullhead • Capelin . . . — Map (db m64470) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Submariners Memorial
. . . — Map (db m64469) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Talos SAM-N-6Ship Launched Surface to Air Missile
Specifications: Diameter: 28” Length: 19’-2” Weight: 2,700 lbs Wings: 9’-2” Range: 65 Miles Engines: Ramjet Warhead: Conventional 300 lbs - Nuclear Navigation: Radio Controlled Booster: 2,950 lbs of Thrust Solid Fuel First . . . — Map (db m64493) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Terrier SAM-N-7Ship Launched Surface to Air Missile
Specifications: Diameter: 12” Length: 27 ft Weight: 3000 lbs Wings: 47” Range: 15 Miles – Ceiling of 10 Miles Warhead: 218 lbs Navigation: Radio Controlled Speed: Mach 1.8 Booster: 1,290 lbs of Thrust The Terrier Missile was . . . — Map (db m64492) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — The Great Hunger1845 - 1849
In memory of the millions of Irish people lost to imposed starvation, death and forced emigration by the English government. Bergen County Council of Irish Associations November 25, 1995 — Map (db m62944) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — The Green
Gift of John Berry, 1696. It became the village center of New Barbadoes Township, now Hackensack. Later a public park. — Map (db m6866) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — The Green
Hackensack was a small village centered around The Green which served as a strategic point during the American Revolution. Washington headquartered here in November 1776 while he surveyed the local roads and bridges. — Map (db m6867) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — The Huguenots
In honor of The Huguenots on the Hackensack 1677 --------------- Erected by The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey 1942 — Map (db m62942) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — U.S.S. Ling
Launched August 15, 1943 Commissioned – June 8, 1945 – Boston Sponsor Mrs. Edward J. Foy First Captain – Commander G. G. Molumphy — Map (db m7230) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Underwater MK16 Mine
This type of mine was deployed from surface ships and submarines. The larger round section of the mine contains 600 lbs of cast TNT. When the enemy ship moves near the mine, the smaller float makes contact and sets off the detonator. The main . . . — Map (db m64480) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — USS Gudgeon (SS-211)
Commissioned           November 22, 1939 U.S. Navy Yard           Mare Island, Calif. Over Due – Lost   May 1944 In memory of 78 officers and men By sinking a Japanese submarine on January 27, 1942, she became the first U.S. submarine in . . . — Map (db m64467) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — 82 — Varick Memorial African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
First African American Church in Hackensack. Organized in 1864 as “Olive Branch Colored Mission Number Three of Hackensack.” First church was an old lime shed moved here in 1867. In 1917 current name was adopted in honor of the first . . . — Map (db m7223) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Harrington Park — 83 — Abraham D. Blauvelt Homestead
The house and the kitchen wing were built about 1801 by Abraham D. Blauvelt who farmed the land. It came into possession of his niece, Catherine Blauvelt, wife of Richard J. Blauvelt, and remained in the family until 1891. In 1904 Herman Steinhoff, . . . — Map (db m7921) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Harrington Park — 19 — Blanch-Haring House
Homestead of Isaac Blanch from about 1758 and site of his grist mill, both inherited in 1767 from his father, Richard Blanch, a native of England. Isaac was a Patriot official and member of the State Assembly during the Revolutionary War. He was . . . — Map (db m7920) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Harrington Park — 18 — Old Burying Ground
In use for nearly two hundred years, largely by the Blauvelt family, the earliest known burial was in 1722. The cemetery contains the graves of members of other early Bergen County families, veterans of the American Revolution and slaves. Some of . . . — Map (db m7877) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Harrington Park — 84 — Site of the Myers-Bogert Grist Mill
Abraham Myers established a grist mill at this site on the Hackensack River prior to 1765. Inherited by son John who operated the mill until his death in 1829, it was continued by his son-in-law James Bogert. Long known as “Bogert’s . . . — Map (db m7940) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Harrington Park — 20 — Wortendyke Homesite
Frederick Wortendyke owned this land in 1723. It was once part of a large grant called the Tappan Patent. His son Jacob, who owned the homestead during the Revolutionary War, was taken captive in one of many British raids made in the area. Later . . . — Map (db m8683) HM

2944 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 2694
Paid Advertisement
Categories20th CenturyAbolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansAgricultureAir & SpaceAnimalsAntebellum South, USAnthropologyArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicAsian AmericansBridges & ViaductsCemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Civil RightsColonial EraCommunicationsDisastersEducationEntertainmentEnvironmentExplorationForts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentHeroesHispanic AmericansHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsLandmarksMan-Made FeaturesMilitaryNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPaleontologyPatriots & PatriotismPeacePolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersSportsWar of 1812War, 1st Iraq & Desert StormWar, 2nd IraqWar, AfghanistanWar, ColdWar, French and IndianWar, KoreanWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWar, VietnamWar, World IWar, World IIWars, Non-USWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
States or ProvincesAlabamaAlaskaAlbertaArizonaArkansasBritish ColumbiaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineManitobaMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew BrunswickNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNewfoundland and LabradorNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNova ScotiaOhioOklahomaOntarioOregonPennsylvaniaPrince Edward IslandPuerto RicoQuebecRhode IslandSaskatchewanSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingYukon Territory
CountriesArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBelgiumBelizeBrazilCanadaChinaCosta RicaCzech RepublicDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuyanaHondurasHungaryIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaKiribatiLiechtensteinLuxembourgMalaysiaMexicoNetherlands AntillesNew ZealandNicaraguaPalestinian TerritoriesPhilippinesRussiaSaint LuciaScotland, UKSingaporeSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSwedenSwitzerlandThailandTurkeyTurks and Caicos IslandsU.S Virgin IslandsUkraineUnited KingdomUnited States of America