Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

New Mexico Historical Markers

596 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 396
 
Rear of Alameda Marker image, Click for more information
By Bill Kirchner, July 22, 2011
Rear of Alameda Marker
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Alameda
This 18th century Spanish settlement was established on the site of an ancient Tiwa Indian Pueblo that was destroyed following the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. The pueblo was reestablished in 1702, but in 1708 the Spanish moved its Tiwa inhabitants to . . . — Map (db m45435) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — AlbuquerqueOn the Camino Real — Population 331,767 ~ Elevation 5,310
Spanish settlers had lived here before the Pueblo Revolt of 1680, but the area was resettled when the "Villa de Alburquerque" was founded in 1706. In addition to promoting colonization, the new town was intended to provide protection from attacks by . . . — Map (db m8504) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Albuquerque
In 1706, New Mexico Governor Francisco Cuervo y Valdes founded the new Villa de Albuquerque (now Albuquerque), which became the principal settlement of the Rio Abajo, or lower river district. Here, the Camino Real wound its way through a series of . . . — Map (db m45231) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Albuquerque Electric Streetcar System
An electric streetcar system in Albuquerque was constructed in 1904 to replace the horse-drawn trolleys. Two streetcar companies were established, one for the downtown Albuquerque and Old Town Plaza areas (the Albuquerque Traction Company) and . . . — Map (db m45447) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Casa de Armijo
Built in 1706 and occupied for many generations by the Armijo family who were prominent in local history. This hacienda was gay with social life. During the turmoil of the early settlement the Mexican, Spanish and American Civil War occupation . . . — Map (db m703) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Confederate Soldiers
Confederate Soldiers who served in Gen Sibley's Brig with Maj Trevanion T Teel were buried here when Conf Flag was flying over Old Albuqerque in April 1862 — Map (db m6677) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Cuarto Centenario Memorial
La Jornada (The Journey), the bronze sculptural grouping on the corner along with the adjacent earthen work Numbe Whageh (Our Center Place) make up the City of Albuquerque's 1% for the Arts Funds Cuarto Centenario Memorial. The memorial commemorates . . . — Map (db m71142) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Dominguez y Escalante Expedition“Jornada De Paz” — 1776 – 1976
(side one) “Jornada De Paz” Meaning "Journey of Peace" as the party made their expedition peaceful by not carrying weapons In 1692 - 12 years following the 1680 Pueblo Revolt in New Mexico, the . . . — Map (db m45444) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Don Francisco Cuervo y ValdesFounder of Albuquerque — April 23, 1706
Illustrious son of the Province of Asturias Spain, Governor of New Mexico. Sculpture funded by the City of Albuquerque 1% for Arts Program as per City Council Resolution 57, 1984. Buck McCain, Artist, Santa Fe Bronze, Inc. . . . — Map (db m70364) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Doña Dolores “Lola” Chávez de Armijo(1858-1929) — New Mexico Historic Women Marker Initiative
(front) In 1912, State Librarian Lola Chávez de Armijo filed a gender discrimination law suit after the governor sought to replace her by court order, claiming that as a woman, she was unqualified to hold office under the constitution and . . . — Map (db m45333) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Founding Women of Albuquerque
(front) In February 1706 several families participated in the founding of Albuquerque but the names of only 22 are preserved in the historical record. Within those families were many women honored as being founders of La Villa San . . . — Map (db m45230) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Graciela Olivárez(1928-1987) — New Mexico Historic Women Marker Initiative
Side A: Attorney, public servant, and activist, Graciela Olivárez was a high school dropout who became the first woman graduate of Notre Dame Law School where an award is presented each year in her name. She led national anti-poverty . . . — Map (db m45225) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Harvey Girls / Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter, 1869 - 1958
[Side A:] Harvey Girls In 1883, the Fred Harvey Company hired women to serve in its diners and hotels along the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. Thousands of respectable, intelligent women were recruited from the Midwest and . . . — Map (db m45326) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Hotel Alvarado
Hotel Alvarado was constructed in 1902 and demolished in 1970 in spite of local efforts to preserve it. The hotel and depot complex, shown in this 1908 photograph looking west, was designed by Santa Fe Railroad architect Charles Whittlesey in . . . — Map (db m45446) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — In This Plaza Were EnactedA.D. 1706
By Governor and Captain General Don Francisco Cuervo Y. Valdez ceremonies incident to the founding of the Villa of Albuquerque named after the Spanish Viceroy Don Francisco Fernandez De La Cueva Enriquez Duke of Albuquerque — Map (db m45271) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — La Doctora María Dolores Gonzáles(1917-1975)
Side A: Dr. Gonzales was a pioneer in bilingual and bicultural education. She developed educational materials for students in New Mexico and Latin America and trained teachers in the curriculum. Born in Pecos, “Lola” taught . . . — Map (db m45227) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — La Jornada
On January 26, 1598, amid embraces and farewells, Governor Juan de Oñate left Santa Barbara, in present day Chihuahua, leading an expedition bound for New Mexico. Nearly 600 settlers accompanied him, along with Mexican Indian allies and Franciscan . . . — Map (db m45443) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Los Padillas
Los Padillas is an extended family settlement which was resettled in 1718 by Diego de Padilla. His grandparents had lived on the site prior to the 1680 Pueblo Revolt at which time they were forced to abandon it. In the 1790 census the town, referred . . . — Map (db m67067) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Madonna of the Trail
(West Face): N.S.D.A.R. Memorial to the Pioneer Mothers of the Covered Wagon Days (South Face): Into the primitive west Face upflung toward the sun Bravely she came Her children . . . — Map (db m45445) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Mountain Howitzers
Cast in the foundry of Cyrus Alger & Company of Boston, Massachusetts, and originally designed to be mule-pack artillery, the Model of 1835 12-Pounder Mountain Howitzer was the smallest U.S. cannon of the period and could fire a 12-pound exploding . . . — Map (db m45274) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Old Armijo School
Constructed in 1914, this building was designed by Atanacio Montoya, a progressive educator who introduced many reforms into early 20th century rural schools. It served as the school for the Village of Armijo until 1948. This school incorporated . . . — Map (db m45221) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Old Town History
Front of Marker - English: 1706-The Villa of "Alburquerque" was founded by Don Francisco Cuervo y Valdes, Governor of the Spanish province of New Mexico. It stood on the Camino Real (Royal Road), which ran between Mexico City and . . . — Map (db m45278) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Rio Puerco Bridge
This Parker through truss located on the historic Route 66 was built in 1933. It was fabricated by the Kansas City Structural Steel Company and erected by F.D. Shufflebarger of Albuquerque. Its 250 foot long length is one of the longest in new . . . — Map (db m88404) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — San Felipe de Alburquerque
First marker on left: San Felipe de Alburquerque, named for King Phillip V of Spain and the Duke of Alburquerque was, founded in 1706 by Gov. Francisco Cuervo Valdez with 30 families from Bernalillo accompanied by soldiers to protect . . . — Map (db m45267) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — San Felipe De Neri
Oldest church in Albuquerque. Has continuously served the community without interruption since 1706. Originally founded and served by the Franciscan Friars, this parish church has been served successively by the Secular Clergy of Durango, Mexico . . . — Map (db m45276) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Skirmish of AlbuquerqueApril 8-9, 1862
While Confederate Brigadier General H. H. Sibley was assembling the bulk of his army at Santa Fe, Union Colonel E.R.S. Canby moved 1200 men from Fort Craig to occupy Albuquerque – "If it can be done without serious loss." Though outnumbered . . . — Map (db m45270) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — The Honorable Mary Coon Walters / Chief Justice Pamela B. MinznerWomen of the Judiciary
[Side A:] The Honorable Mary Coons Walters (1922 - 2001) Ms. Walters, who was a transport pilot during World War II, was the only woman in her UNM law school class when she graduated at age 40. She served on the state Court of . . . — Map (db m45331) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Kirtland Air Force Base — "Hercules Way"
Dedicated 2 April 1987 In Memory of the Crew of King 11 Lt Col Stephen J. Tullis Capt David S. Miller · Capt William L. Stogsdill TSgt John R. McGee · TSgt Antonio C. Medina SSgt Michael D. Perron · SSgt Robert W. Kimbrell · SSgt Johnny . . . — Map (db m81240) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Kirtland Air Force Base — Rescue Memorial Park
. . . — Map (db m81239) WM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Kirtland Air Force Base — Taco Park
Dedicated to the Memory of Lt Col "CATO" Williams "Sierra Hotel" Fighter Pilot 1967-1992 188th Fighter Squadron "The Tacos" New Mexico Air National Guard — Map (db m81241) WM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Tijeras — Tijeras Canyon
The pass between the Sandia and Manzano Mountains has been a natural route of travel between eastern New Mexico and the Rio Grande Valley since pre-historic times. Known as Cañon de Carnué in the spanish colonial period it takes it's present name . . . — Map (db m72732) HM
New Mexico (Catron County), Glenwood — Mogollon
The mountains and the town were named for Juan Ignacio Flores Mogollón, governor of New Mexico from 1712 to 1715. The name also is applied to the Pueblo Indians who abandoned the area in the early 1400s. These mountains were inhabited by Apaches . . . — Map (db m38255) HM
New Mexico (Catron County), Glenwood — The Catwalk
This steel causeway follows two pipelines which supplied water and water power to the old town of Graham where gold and silver ores were milled from nearby mines in the 1890's. The causeway clings to the sides of a sheer box canyon in Saltwater . . . — Map (db m36378) HM
New Mexico (Catron County), Quemado — QuemadoPopulation 1,028 - Elevation 6,890 ft.
Spanish word for “burned,” Quemado is located in an extinct volcanic area. This community was first settled in 1880 by José Antonio Padilla, who brought sheep and started the stock raising industry in this part of the state. Quemado was . . . — Map (db m44056) HM
New Mexico (Catron County), Reserve — Elfego Baca1865-1945
"I will show the Texans there is at least one Mexican in the county who is not afraid of an American cowboy" Elfego Baca - 1884 In October 1884, seven drunken cowboys committed horrific acts against two Mexican men in Upper Frisco, (modern . . . — Map (db m88497) HM
New Mexico (Catron County), Reserve — Reserve
Population 600 — Elevation 5765 ft. Located in the San Francisco Valley, Reserve was named upper San Francisco Plaza by its original Hispanic settlers in 1874. The name was later changed to Reserve in recognition of the U.S. Forest Service . . . — Map (db m36258) HM
New Mexico (Catron County), Reserve — Reserve
Population 600 — Elevation 5765 ft. Located in the San Francisco Valley, Reserve was named upper San Francisco Plaza by its original Hispanic settlers in 1874. The name was later changed to Reserve in recognition of the U.S. Forest Service . . . — Map (db m36261) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Hagerman — Blackdom Townsite
West of this location stood the now abandoned community of Blackdom. The community was founded circa 1908 by Francis Marion Boyer and his wife Ella. Several dozen African American families homesteaded nearly 15,000 acres of land and built a . . . — Map (db m56143) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Hagerman — Rio Felix Bridge
Completed in 1926, the Rio Felix Bridge was one of the most important structures in New Mexico’s highway system. The bridge was placed across the river at nearly a 45-degree angle to increase stability during floods. Constructed with three 144 foot . . . — Map (db m56141) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Lake Arthur — Civilian Conservation CorpsLake Arthur Campsite
The Civilian Conservation Corps was established to provide employment for the nation's young men during the Great Depression of the 1930's. More than 50,000 were enrolled in the program in New Mexico between 1933 and 1942. CCC enrollees at the Lake . . . — Map (db m56142) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Atlas Missile Silos
During the Cold War (1946-1989), this area became home for twelve Atlas missile silo sites — America’s first operational Intercontinental Ballistic Missile system. They protected the Strategic Air Command facilities at Walker Air Force Base . . . — Map (db m73724) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Bottomless Lakes State Park
When 19th Century cowboys attempted to measure these lakes by tying lariats together, they found no bottom and declared the lakes “bottomless.” Today we know these sinkholes, formed by collapsed salt and gypsum deposits, are 17 to 90 . . . — Map (db m73455) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Goodnight-Loving Trail
This famous old cattle trail, running 2000 miles from Texas to Wyoming, was blazed in 1866 by Charles Goodnight and Oliver Loving. In New Mexico, the trail followed the Pecos River north to Fort Sumner, where the government needed beef to feed the . . . — Map (db m73457) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — John Simpson Chisum1824-1884 — "Cattle King of the Pecos"
John S. Chisum, a western icon, is generally recognized as the early West's most prominent cattleman. In the mid-1870s, Chisum was the largest cattle producer in the nation, with as many as 80,000 longhorn steers in his herd. Beginning as a . . . — Map (db m73451) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Justice in the Wild West
Before the construction of the elegant courthouse that stands here today, a smaller courthouse constructed in 1890 was home to Roswell’s judicial system. In 1889, prior to construction, Captain Joseph C. Lea, Charles Eddy, and Pat Garrett (the . . . — Map (db m73527) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Louise Massey Mabie (1902-1983)The Original Rhinestone Cowgirl
This is a two sided marker Side A: One of the first female radio stars in the 1930s, Louise's career spanned from 1918-1950. Her recordings in English and Spanish sold millions of copies. Heading the Roswell-based group, . . . — Map (db m73454) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Patrick Floyd Jarvis GarrettHis Ride to Destiny
In the frontier west, Pat Garrett has to be considered as one of the most famous and effective of legendary law officers. Six feet, five inches tall, he was an imposing and implacable foe of western criminals. An honest and honorable lawman, Garrett . . . — Map (db m73452) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — RoswellPopulation 50,000 -- Elevation 3,612
Roswell was a watering place for the Pecos Valley cattle drives of the 1870s and 1880s. It was incorporated in 1891 and is seat of Chaves County, named for Col. J. Francisco Chaves, Civil War soldier and delegate to the U. S. Congress from the . . . — Map (db m38460) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — RoswellPopulation 50,000 - Elevation 3,612
Roswell was a watering place for the Pecos Valley cattle drives of the 1870s and 1880s. It was incorporated in 1891 and is seat of Chaves County, named for Col. J. Francisco Chaves, Civil War Soldier and delegate to the U.S. Congress from the . . . — Map (db m73453) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — RoswellPopulation 50,000 - Elevation 3,612
Roswell was a watering place for the Pecos Valley cattle drives of the 1870s and 1880s. It was incorporated in 1891 and is seat of Chaves County, named for Col. J. Francisco Chaves, Civil War Soldier and delegate to the U.S. Congress from the . . . — Map (db m79251) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Roswell Pioneer Plaza
This location incorporates two of downtown Roswell's most historic buildings. East of this location is the Chaves County Courthouse, built in 1911. It is one of the best surviving examples of courthouses built in the Beaux Arts Revival "monumental . . . — Map (db m56139) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — The Iron Cross
During World War II a prisoner of war camp was established by the War Department near Orchard Park southeast of Roswell, which housed some 4800 German prisoners of war. On January 1, 1943, the first prisoners arrived here from the . . . — Map (db m72748) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Waldrop Park
This site is named for Victor H. Waldrop and stewardship for is shared by the New Mexico Department of Transportation and local bird enthusiasts. Wind blown-sand deposited at the base of Mescalero Ridge forms a 60 mile expanse of open dunes and . . . — Map (db m73458) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Cubero — Old Acoma "Sky City"
Legend describes Acoma as a "place that always was". Archeological evidence shows it has been occupied since at least the 13th century. Established on this mesa for defensive purposes, Acoma was settled by inhabitants of nearby pueblos which had . . . — Map (db m36505) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Cubero — Pueblo of Ácoma
Built atop a great mesa for defensive purposes, Ácoma has been continuously occupied since the 13th century. A dramatic battle between the Ácomas and Oñate's forces occurred here in 1599. The mission church of San Esteban was built between 1629 and . . . — Map (db m36502) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Cubero — Pueblo of Laguna
Keresan speaking refugees from Santo Domingo, Acoma, Cochiti, and other pueblos founded Laguna after the Pueblo Revolt of 1680 and the Spanish reconquest of 1692. Named by the Spaniards for a marshy lake to the west, the pueblo still occupies its . . . — Map (db m36504) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Fence Lake — Fence Lake
There is a mysterious force that drives people to new lands and new frontiers. There is an abiding love for the land and newly turned soil, for young livestock and for the freedom of ownership, for the independence of spirit. This marker will remain . . . — Map (db m94982)
New Mexico (Cibola County), Grants — GrantsPopulation 11,451 Elevation 6500
Located just north of the great lava bed known as the malpais, Grants began as a coaling station for the Santa Fe Railroad. Around 1880 it was known as Grant's Camp, after the Canadian bridge contractor Angus A. Grant. In 1950, the area's vast . . . — Map (db m36472) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Grants — GrantsPopulation 11,451 Elevation 6500 ft
Located just north of the great lava bed known as the malpais, Grants began as a coaling station for the Santa Fe Railroad. Around 1880 it was known as Grant's Camp, after the Canadian bridge contractor Angus A. Grant. In 1950, the area's vast . . . — Map (db m36473) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Grants — San Rafael
San Rafael, formerly know as El Gallo, is located at a spring near the Malpais, the great lave flow to the east. The area was visited by members of Vásquez de Coronado's expedition in 1540. In 1862, it was selected as the original site of Fort . . . — Map (db m36475) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Grants — Vietnam Veterans MemorialGrants, NM
Honoring the 58,249 KIA As of August 1, 2005 — Map (db m36474) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Laguna — Pueblo of Laguna
Keresan speaking refugees from Santo Domingo, Acoma, Cochiti, and other pueblos founded Laguna after the Pueblo Revolt of 1680 and the Spanish reconquest of 1692. Named by the Spaniards for a marshy lake to the west, the pueblo still occupies its . . . — Map (db m36506) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Laguna — Pueblo of Laguna
Keresan speaking refugees from Santo Domingo, Acoma, Cochiti, and other pueblos founded Laguna after the Pueblo Revolt of 1680 and the Spanish reconquest of 1692. Named by the Spaniards for a marshy lake to the west, the pueblo still occupies its . . . — Map (db m36521) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Laguna — San José De La Laguna Mission
(Front of Marker:) The picturesque mission church of San José de la Laguna was built around 1706 by Fray Antonio Miranda and shows the single – aisle floor plan commonly used in pueblo churches. It has been repaired many times, and . . . — Map (db m36517) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Laguna — San José De La Laguna Mission
(Front of Marker:) The picturesque mission church of San José de la Laguna was built around 1706 by Fray Antonio Miranda and shows the single – aisle floor plan commonly used in pueblo churches. It has been repaired many times, and . . . — Map (db m36520) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Laguna — Susie Rayos Marmon - Ga-wa goo maa (Early Riser)1877-1988 — Laguna Pueblo
Educated at the Carlisle Indian School in Pennsylvania under the U.S. policy of acculturating Indian children through school and removal from their homelands, Susie was instrumental in bringing education back to Laguna. A lifelong teacher, oral . . . — Map (db m36519) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Paraje — The Battle of Khe Sanh Vietnam, 1968"Home Was Where You Dug it" — Eternally Bonded
(Side A:) The Battle of Khe Sanh claimed the lives of 2,097 United States servicemen. This historic marker is dedicated to honor and preserve the memory of New Mexico Servicemen who were killed in action or later died of their wounds. . . . — Map (db m70175) WM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Ramah — El Morro National Monument Inscription Rock
Until it was by-passed by the railroad in the 1880’s, its waterhole made El Morro an important stop for travelers in the Acoma- Zuni region. Numerous inscriptions carved in the sandstone date from the prehistoric, Spanish, Mexican, and . . . — Map (db m14129) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Angel Fire — Vietnam Veterans National Memorial
This chapel was erected in 1968 by Dr. Victor Westphall in memory of his son David Westphall and all U.S. personnel killed in the fighting in Vietnam. It was first dedicated as the Vietnam Veterans Peace and Brotherhood Chapel, and on May 30, 1983, . . . — Map (db m45749) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Cimarron — Black Jack’s Hideout / Colfax County War
Side A: Black Jack’s Hideout In Turkey Creek Canyon near here, the outlaw gang of Thomas “Black Jack” Ketchum had one of its hideouts. After a train robbery in July 1899, a posse surprised the gang at the hideout. The . . . — Map (db m45784) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Cimarron — Cimarron Canyon
You are now at the Great Plains-Rocky Mountain boundary. The Cimarron Range, one of the eastern-most ranges of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in this part of New Mexico. Elevation 6,800 feet. — Map (db m45764) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Cimarron — Cimarron Canyon State Park
This high mountain park is part of a state wildlife area and is managed by the New Mexico State Park Division in cooperation with the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish. Trout fishing is excellent in the Cimarron River, and the park offers fine . . . — Map (db m45755) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Cimarron — Palisades Sill
These spectacular cliffs are cut by the Cimarron River through igneous rock known as a sill and composed of the rock type monzonite which was emplaced some 40 million years ago as these Southern Rocky Mountains were being uplifted. Elevation 8,000 . . . — Map (db m45753) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Cimarron — Santa Fe Trail
Side A: The difficulty of bringing caravans over rocky and mountainous Raton Pass kept most wagon traffic on the Cimarron Cutoff of the Santa Fe Trail until the 1840's. Afterwards, the Mountain Branch, which here approaches Raton Pass, . . . — Map (db m45821) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Cimarron — The Saint James Hotel
The Saint James Hotel Has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior 1872 — Map (db m45779) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Eagle Nest — Eagle Nest Lake State Park
Eagle Nest was a place where members of several Indian tribes were said to have come to collect ceremonial feathers. Before 1919, Charles Springer acquired the land and built a dam for irrigation. It now has a capacity of 78,000 acre feet and . . . — Map (db m45752) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Eagle Nest — Elizabethtown
The discovery of gold on Baldy Mountain in 1866 brought such a rush of fortune-seekers to the Moreno Valley that “E-town” became a roaring mining camp almost overnight. Because of water and transportation problems, and a decline in ore . . . — Map (db m45751) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Eagle Nest — Wheeler Peak
Across Moreno Valley stands Wheeler Peak, 13,161 feet, highest peak in New Mexico. Rocks of Wheeler Peak and the Taos Range are highly resistant granites and gneisses of Precambrian age. Moreno Valley is underlain by soft sandstones and shales which . . . — Map (db m45750) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Raton — First Automobile in New Mexico
Robert L. Dodson bought a steam-powered Locomobile in Denver with plans to drive it to Albuquerque. Accompanied by a Locomobile representative, on November 30, 1900, the pair became the first motorists to traverse treacherous Raton Pass into New . . . — Map (db m77850) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Raton — RatonPopulation 8,225 – Elevation 6,379
Once the Willow Springs freight stop on the Santa Fe Trail, the town of Raton developed from A.T. & S.F. repair shops established when the railroad crossed Raton Pass in 1879. Valuable coal deposits attracted early settlers. Nearby Clifton House was . . . — Map (db m77849) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Raton — The Mountain Route
To the north is Raton Pass, a treacherous connection through the rough mountain terrain between Colorado and New Mexico. Wagon trains traveling on the Santa Fe Trail camped here, at a trail stop called Willow Springs, to either prepare for or . . . — Map (db m77851) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Springer — Old Colfax County Courthouse
Built in 1879 at a cost of $9,800, this building served as the Colfax County Courthouse from 1882 through 1897, when the county seat was moved to Raton. This building housed the New Mexico reform school for boys from 1910 to 1917 and has been a . . . — Map (db m55206) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Springer — Point of Rocks / The Dorsey Mansion
This is a two sided marker Side A: Point of Rocks Point of Rocks was a major landmark along the Santa Fe Trail. Located in Jicarilla Apache country, it was near here that the party of Santa Fe merchant J.W. White was attacked . . . — Map (db m55207) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Springer — SpringerPopulation 1,696 - Elevation 5,857
Located in the old Maxwell Land Grant and near the Cimarron Cutoff of the Santa Fe Trail, Springer served as Colfax County seat from 1882 to 1897. Several men were killed here in one of the late flare-ups of the Colfax County War, a dispute between . . . — Map (db m45823) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Springer — View of the Rockies
This is a two sided marker Side A: Reaching altitudes more than 13,000 feet, well watered, and forested, the Rocky Mountains are host to numerous recreational activities including skiing, fishing, hunting, and camping. To the north . . . — Map (db m55208) HM
New Mexico (Curry County), Melrose — Estella García/Fabric Artists: Women of the WPA
This is a two sided marker Side A: Estella García Estella García taught colcha embroidery at Melrose, New Mexico, for the Federal Arts Program in the 1930s. Anglo and Hispana women in Garcia's class collaborated to . . . — Map (db m73703) HM
New Mexico (Curry County), Melrose — Llano Estacado
Nomadic Indians and countless buffalo herds dominated this vast plain when the Vásquez de Coronado expedition explored it in 1541. Later it was the focus of Comanchero activity, and in the 19th century it became a center for cattle ranching. The . . . — Map (db m73716) HM
New Mexico (Curry County), Texico — ClovisPopulation 31,194 -- Elevation 4,260
During the 1700s and early 1800s, Comanche Indian buffalo hunters used trails that passed near here. In 1907 the Santa Fe Railroad established Clovis to serve as the eastern terminal of the Belen Cutoff, which would connect with the transcontinental . . . — Map (db m56110) HM
New Mexico (De Baca County), Fort Sumner — Bosque Redondo Indian Reservation(Old Fort Sumner, 1862 – 1869)
The U.S. Army established Fort Sumner in 1862 as a supply and control point for the Bosque Redondo Indian Reservation. About 10,000 Navajo were forcibly relocated from the Four-Corners Region during the tragic march known as the Long Walk. About 500 . . . — Map (db m73718) HM
New Mexico (De Baca County), Fort Sumner — Fort Sumner
Population 1,250 – Elevation 4,028 ft. Named for the fort built in 1862 to guard the Bosque Redondo Indian Reservation, the town of Fort Sumner grew out of settlements clustering around the Maxwell family properties. It moved to its . . . — Map (db m73721) HM
New Mexico (De Baca County), Fort Sumner — Fort Sumner
Population 1,250 – Elevation 4,028 ft. Named for the fort built in 1862 to guard the Bosque Redondo Indian Reservation, the town of Fort Sumner grew out of settlements clustering around the Maxwell family properties. It moved to its . . . — Map (db m73722) HM
New Mexico (De Baca County), Fort Sumner — Lucien Bonaparte Maxwell
A native of Kaskaskia, Ill, a fur trader and trapper who by industry, good fortune and trading became sole owner in 1864 of the largest single tract of land owned by any one individual in the United States. Maxwell founded the First National Bank . . . — Map (db m73719) HM
New Mexico (De Baca County), Fort Sumner — Old Fort Sumner and “Billy the Kid’s” Grave
Fort Sumner was established in 1862 to guard the Navajo and Apaches on the Bosque Redondo reservation. It was discontinued as a military post in 1868 and the buildings and site sold to Lucien B. Maxwell. William "Billy the Kid" Bonney was killed . . . — Map (db m73713) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Anthony — Brazito Battlefield
One of the few battles of the Mexican War to be fought in New Mexico occured near here on Christmas Day, 1846. U.S. troops under Colonel Alexander W. Doniphan defeated a Mexican army commanded by General Antonio Ponce de León. Two days later, . . . — Map (db m6552) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Anthony — Butterfield Trail/Espejo's Expedition/On the Camino Real
Stagecoaches of the Butterfield Overland Mail Co. began carrying passengers and mail from St. Louis to San Francisco, across southern New Mexico, in 1858. The 2,795-mile journey took 21-22 days. In 1861 the service was re-routed through Salt Lake . . . — Map (db m6553) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Anthony — Oñate’s Route On the Camino Real
Juan de Oñate, first governor of New Mexico, passed near here with his colonizing expedition in May, 1598. Traveling north, he designated official campsites (called parajes) on the Camino Real, used by expeditions that followed. In Oñate's . . . — Map (db m6549) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Dona Ana — Bartlett GarciaContinental Survey Point
On April 24, 1851, John Russell Bartlett for the United States and Pedro Garcia-Conde for the Republic of Mexico, erected near here a monument designating 32° 22’ north latitude on the Rio Grande as the initial point for the official survey of the . . . — Map (db m38177) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Dona Ana — Doña Ana(On the Camino Real)
This site, named after the legendary woman, Doña Ana, is first mentioned as a paraje along the Camino Real. Spanish rested near here as they retreated from New Mexico following the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. The community was founded in 1843 as the Doña . . . — Map (db m38178) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Dona Ana — Doña Ana (1604–1680)
The name of the county Doña Ana originates from Doña Ana Robledo, who died near here while fleeing south with other settlers during the 1680 Pueblo Revolt. She was buried below the peak that now bears her surname in the Robledo Mountains, so named . . . — Map (db m38176) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Dona Ana — Shalam Colony1884-1901
In 1884, Shalam Colony was established on the banks of the Rio Grande near the village of Doña Ana by John Ballou Newbrough and a group of Utopian followers called Faithists. Newbrough’s “Book of Shalam" set forth a plan for gathering the . . . — Map (db m38199) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Hatch — HatchPopulation 1,028  -  Elevation 4,055
Originally established as Santa Barbara in 1851, Apache raids drove the settlers away until 1853 when nearby Fort Thorn was established. Abandoned again in 1860 after the fort closed, it was reoccupied in 1875 and re-named for General Edward Hatch, . . . — Map (db m24745) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — America's First Battle of World War II: The Philippines
For America, WWII began of December 7, 1941, with the attack on Pearl Harbor, the first of Japan's day-long assault on locations throughout the Pacific. Major American installations on Luzon, the largest island of the Philippines, were also . . . — Map (db m38286) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Civil War Battle of Mesilla & Major Lynde's RetreatJuly 24-27, 1861
On July 24, 1861, Lt. Col. John Robert Baylor led 300 men consisting of two companies of the Second Texas Mounted Rifles, a Texas light-artillery company without its howitzers, an El Paso County scout company, and some civilians from Fort Bliss to . . . — Map (db m38266) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Doña Ana County Courthouse
County Seat Las Cruces, New Mexico Built 1937 — Map (db m38150) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Fort Selden State Monument1865-1891
Fort Selden was established to protect settlers and railroad construction crews in the Mesilla Valley and the Jornada del Muerto from Apaches. The first regular army troops to garrison it were four companies of the black 125th Infantry. General . . . — Map (db m45085) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Heroes of BataanThe New Mexico Story
More than fourteen hundred New Mexicans fought with the 200th Coast Artillery (CAC) Regiment defending the Philippines and the Bataan Peninsula at the beginning of World War II. The regiment received the Presidential Distinguished Unit Citation with . . . — Map (db m38293) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Jornada del MuertoOn the Camino Real
This stretch of the Camino Real leaves the Ríó Grande and cuts across 90 miles of desert with little water or shelter. Despite its difficulty, the dreaded “Journey of the Deadman” was heavily used by Spanish, Mexican, and Anglo travelers . . . — Map (db m45083) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — La Mesilla
On November 16, 1854, a detachment from nearby Fort Fillmore raised the U.S. flag here confirming the Gadsden Purchase; thus the Gadsden territory was officially recognized as part of the United States. In 1858, the Butterfield stage began its run . . . — Map (db m38149) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Las Cruces on the Camino RealPopulation 74,267 -- Elevation 3,909
In 1849, following the Mexican War, fields were first broken in Las Cruces. The town became a flourishing stop on the Camino Real, deriving its name, "The Crosses", from the marking of graves of victims of an Apache attack. Las Cruces since 1881 has . . . — Map (db m60679) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — María Gutiérrez SpencerAdvocate for Social Justice — (1919 - 1992)
Punished for not speaking English in school, María Gutiérrez Spencer devoted her life to validating the Indo-Hispano experience. A graduate of University of California, Berkeley and New Mexico State University, she pioneered bilingual and bicultural . . . — Map (db m89687) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Miller Field Gates
There are three markers mounted on The Gates Marker A: Miller Field Gates The New Mexico A&M senior class built these gates to Miller Field in 1924. The athletic field, stretching north and west from the gates was said to be . . . — Map (db m89686) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Nike Hercules Missile
Anti-aircraft missiles like this Nike Hercules once stood guard around many major U.S. cities and facilities during the Cold War. They were capable of knocking down high-flying, fast-moving bombers with high-explosive warheads or, equipped with a . . . — Map (db m38295) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Paraje San Diego
This paraje, or stopping place, provided travelers along the Camino Real with a final opportunity to water their stock and prepare their caravans before leaving the Rio Grande Valley and entering the desolate Jornada del Muerto. Caravans on . . . — Map (db m45084) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Pat Garrett Murder Site
Pat Garrett, the Lincoln County Sheriff who shot and killed William “Billy the Kid” Bonney at Fort Stanton in 1881, was himself murdered at a remote site nearby on February 29, 1908. Wayne Brazel, a local cowboy, confessed to shooting . . . — Map (db m73711) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Rio Grande
Marker Front: The Rio Grande (big river) has been an integral part of the history of New Mexico for thousands of years. Running through the entire state, it is both its backbone and lifeblood. It originates in the southern Rocky Mountains of . . . — Map (db m67023) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Rio Grande Theatre1926 — City of Las Cruces
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Buildings By the United States Department Of the Interior — Map (db m38271) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — San Augustín Pass
Divide between the Tularosa Basin to the east and Jornada del Muerto to the west, cut between the Organ Mountains to the south and the San Augustín-San Andrés Mountains to the north. White gypsum sands glisten to the northeast. Roadcuts in Tertiary . . . — Map (db m38153) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — Site of San Agustín Springs
Here on July 27, 1861, less than 300 Confederate troops intercepted 500 Union soldiers retreating from Fort Fillmore to Fort Stanton. Exhausted from the heat and famished for water, the Union troops straggled across the desert in a five-mile . . . — Map (db m38154) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Las Cruces — The Historic Green Bridge
This structure is the oldest steel highway bridge in New Mexico, built in 1902 by Chaves County as part of the three-span Pecos River Bridge east of Roswell. There it connected the growing town with the smaller communities and ranches of the Eastern . . . — Map (db m89690) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Mesilla — All Servicemen and Women
In memory of: all Servicemen and Women of the Armed Forces who served their God and Country Dedicated July 4, 1957 by Ray McCorkle Post No. 3242 Veterans of Foreign Wars — Map (db m6989) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Mesilla — Butterfield Overland TrailSouth Central Region
Overland mail stage line, St. Louis to San Francisco 1858-1861 Forerunner to the Pony Express — Map (db m6987) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Mesilla — Doña Ana County Courthouse and Jail
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1850 — Map (db m26924) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Mesilla — Head Quarters, Dept. of New MexicoFort Fillmore, Nov. 15th, 1854
I. The laws of the United States having been extended by proclamation over the Mesilla Valley and the territory recently acquired from the Republic of Mexico, the undersigned as military Commander of the same directs that Lt. Colonel Miles 3rd . . . — Map (db m6991) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Mesilla — La Mesilla
After the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, which concluded the Mexican War in 1848, the Mexican government commissioned Cura Ramón Ortiz to settle Mesilla. He brought families from New Mexico and from Paso del Norte (modern Ciúdad Juárez) to populate . . . — Map (db m6986) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Mesilla — Plaza de Mesilla
Conservation made possible by grants from United States Department of Commerce Economic Development Administration New Mexico American Revolution Bicentennial Commission and by matching funds from the Town of Mesilla and individual . . . — Map (db m6988) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Mesilla — The Gadsden Purchase Celebration
The Gadsden Purchase celebration held at Mesilla New Mexico in 1854.                         By A. J. Fountain Sr. Map (db m6992) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Radium Springs — Fort Selden Cemetery
Fort Selden was established nearby in 1865 to help protect the settlements of the Mesilla Valley and travelers along the Jornada del Muerto from Apache raids. The post cemetery was located in this field until the fort was abandoned in 1891. Military . . . — Map (db m38201) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Radium Springs — Jornada del MuertoOn the Camino Real
This stretch of the Camino Real leaves the Río Grande and cuts across 90 miles of desert with little water or shelter. Despite its difficulty, the dreaded “Journey of the Deadman” was heavily used by Spanish, Mexican, and Anglo travelers . . . — Map (db m38205) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Radium Springs — Jornada del Muerto
High plains of the Jornada del Muerto, elevation 4,340 feet, lie 400 feet above the Rio Grande Valley. It is a transitional area from the Basin and Range region to the west into tilted mountain ranges, such as the San Andres Mountains to the east, . . . — Map (db m38206) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Radium Springs — Paraje de Robledo
This paraje or resting place was named for Pedro Robledo, a member of the Juan de Oñate expedition, who was buried nearby on May 21, 1598. This camping place was a welcome sight for caravans entering or exiting the dreaded Jornada del . . . — Map (db m38200) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Radium Springs — Paraje San Diego
This paraje, or stopping place, provided travelers along the Camino Real with a final opportunity to water their stock and prepare their caravans before leaving the Rio Grande Valley and entering the desolate Jornada del Muerto. Caravans on their . . . — Map (db m38204) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Radium Springs — Rio Grandé Bridge at Radium Springs
This structure – one of the best surviving examples of timber and beam bridge construction in the state – was erected in 1933. The superstructure consists of 19 spans, each 25 feet in length. The roadway is 475 feet long. During the . . . — Map (db m38202) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Rincon — Rincón
Rincón was originally named El Rincón de Fray Diego in honor of a 17th century Franciscan who died here. Established as a settlement called Thorne in 1881, it became Rincón in 1883. With the establishment of the Santa Fe Railroad, Rincón . . . — Map (db m45082) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Sunland Park — El Paso Del Rio Del Norte
This canyon cut here by the Rio Grande marks the crossing of the historic Camino Real, or Royal Road, to La Tierra Adentra. Trackers and traders crossed the river here to begin the arduous journey north to Santa Fe. Permanent settlement of this area . . . — Map (db m38103) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Sunland Park — International Boundary and Water CommissionInternational Boundary Marker #1
[English Translation Marker:] The first international monument of the 276 monuments installed to the west along the international land boundary which marks the international boundary between the United States and Mexico. This monument . . . — Map (db m38105) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), Valdo — Paraje de los Brazitos
Here the Camino Real between Santa Fe and El Paso passed along the eastern bank of the Rio Grande near a brazito, or small branch of the river that created a small island. At this paraje, or stopping place, American troops defeated a . . . — Map (db m38148) HM
New Mexico (Dona Ana County), White Sands — White Sands Missile RangeThe American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronatics Historic Aerospace Site
White Sands Proving Ground, as it was first called, is home to America’s first large-scale rocket and missile launch facilities. Established in 1945, the launching here of 67 V-2 rockets and many other vehicles propelled the United States into the . . . — Map (db m71526) HM WM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Artesia — ArtesiaPopulation 10,385 – Elevation 3,350
Artesia, named for the area's many artesian wells, lies on the route of the Pecos Valley cattle trails used by Charles Goodnight, Oliver Loving, and John S. Chisum. The town, established in 1903, is located in what was once part of Chisum's vast . . . — Map (db m61444) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Artesia — ArtesiaPopulation 10,385 – Elevation 3,350
Artesia, named for the area's many artesian wells, lies on the route of the Pecos Valley cattle trails used by Charles Goodnight, Oliver Loving, and John S. Chisum. The town, established in 1903, is located in what was once part of Chisum's vast . . . — Map (db m61456) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Artesia — Castaño de Sosa’s Route
In 1590-91 Gaspar Castaño de Sosa, a Portuguese by birth, took an expedition up the Pecos River in an attempt to establish a colony in New Mexico. His venture was a failure, but it led to a permanent settlement under Don Juan de Oñate in 1598. . . . — Map (db m61454) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Artesia — First Lady of Artesia
Dedicated to the Spirit of the Pioneer Woman Sculptor: Robert Summers Foundry: Eagle Bronze First Lady of Artesia is approximately 12 feet tall and 6 feet in diameter. The artist designed Sallie Chisum from several photographs . . . — Map (db m73436) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Artesia — Independent Spirit
The men who drove cattle from Texas up along the Pecos River during the mid-1860s until the barbed-wire era of the early 1900s were tough, independent and courageous. Those who chose to settle down and ranch in the surrounding plains or rugged . . . — Map (db m61443) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Artesia — Seven Rivers Cemetery
Seven Rivers was located south of Artesia near the confluence of seven branches of a stream that flowed into the Pecos River. Settled in the mid-1860s, the town flourished as a trading post and refuge for participants in the Lincoln County War. The . . . — Map (db m61457) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Artesia — The Derrick Floor
Dedicated to the men and women who take the risks and do the work to find, produce and refine New Mexico oil and gas. This monument of a 1950s drilling rig is unveiled in celebration of the 80th anniversary of the Illinois #3, the first commercial . . . — Map (db m61445) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Carlsbad — Carlsbad Caverns National Park
These vast and magnificent caverns contain over 21 miles of explored corridors. The chambers contain countless stalactites and stalagmites unrivaled in size and beauty. The caverns are within a reef that formed in an ancient sea 240 million years . . . — Map (db m61473) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Carlsbad — Carlsbad Caverns National ParkCCC Rattlesnake Springs Campsite
The Civilian Conservation Corps provided employment for more than 50,000 young men in New Mexico during the great depression of the 1930's. At the National Park Service CCC Camp, they developed nearby Rattle Snake Springs into a permanent water . . . — Map (db m61474) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Carlsbad — Carlsbad Irrigation Flume
The massive concrete flume in the distance carries water from the Pecos River to irrigate much of the farmland in this area. It is a vital link in an extensive irrigation system which made possible development of the region's agricultural resources. . . . — Map (db m61458) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Carlsbad — Civilian Conservation Corps Carlsbad Campsite
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) provided employment for more than 50,000 young men in New Mexico during the Great Depression as part of President Roosevelt's New Deal Program. Three CCC companies were located where the Carlsbad Hospital now . . . — Map (db m61461) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Carlsbad — Goodnight-Loving Trail
After leaving Fort Sumner, the Goodnight-Loving Trail forked in two directions. This branch, developed by Oliver Loving in 1866, followed the Pecos River to Las Vegas, and the Santa Fe Trail to Raton Pass. The great Texas cattle drives followed this . . . — Map (db m61469) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Carlsbad — Guadalupe Escarpment Scenic Area
Fellow Travelers, imagine the land and mountains before you covered by a deep inland sea. Then imagine a large reef forming over 255 million years ago. As the inland sea vanished minerals such as calcite and aragonite bonded together the sea life . . . — Map (db m61488) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Carlsbad — Guadalupe Mountains
Guadalupe Mountains to southwest rise from Pecos River Valley, with higher southern peaks at 8,750 feet. Bold escarpment is of famous Capitan limestone, an ancient reef similar to Great Barrier Reef of Australia, and host to Carlsbad Caverns as well . . . — Map (db m61487) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Carlsbad — Stephen Tyng MatherJuly 4, 1887 - Jan. 22, 1930
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — Map (db m5979) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Loving — Espejo's Trail
Don Antonio de Espejo, leader of the third expedition to explore New Mexico, passed near here on his return to Mexico City in 1583. After learning of the martyrdom of two Franciscan friars from an earlier expedition, he explored the Pueblo country . . . — Map (db m61472) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Loving — Loving's Bend
In July 1867 Oliver Loving, a partner in the Goodnight-Loving cattle concern, was attacked by Comanches while driving cattle to Fort Sumner. Wounded, Loving held off the attack for two days and nights. With the help of Mexican traders, he made it to . . . — Map (db m61471) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Bayard — BayardPopulation 3,036 - Elevation 6,152
Sites in the surrounding hills indicate that Indians of the Mogollon culture (A.D. 300 – 1450) lived here long before the Europeans. In the late 19th century, this was a stronghold of Apaches led by Victorio and Geronimo. Today Bayard, which . . . — Map (db m38213) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Bayard — BayardPopulation 3,036 - Elevation 6,152
Sites in the surrounding hills indicate that Indians of the Mogollon culture (A.D. 300 – 1450) lived here long before the Europeans. In the late 19th century, this was a stronghold of Apaches led by Victorio and Geronimo. Today Bayard, which . . . — Map (db m38214) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Bayard — Fort Bayard
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark For the important role it played in the military and medical history of southwest New Mexico This fort possesses National Significance in commemorating the history of the United States . . . — Map (db m38303) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Hachita — Hachita
Located in the Little Hatchet Mountains, Hachita was founded around 1875 as a mining camp. The mountains supplied the camp not only with silver and copper, but also its name, “little hatchet.” By 1884 Hachita grew to 300 residents. Soon . . . — Map (db m37773) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Hanover — Emory Pass
Named in honor of Lt. W.H. Emory, who passed by here with the Army of the West in 1846. His report to the U.S. Government is the earliest scientific account of this region which then belonged to Mexico. Elev. 8228 — Map (db m38210) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Hanover — Fort Bayard - 1866-1900Fort Bayard National Cemetery
One of the several posts created on the Apache frontier, Fort Bayard protected the Pinos Altos mining district. Company B of the black 125th Infantry served here, as did Lt. John J. Pershing. In 1900 the fort became a military hospital, and today . . . — Map (db m38226) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Hanover — Kneeling Nun
Most famous of the many historic landmarks in the Black Range country is the Kneeling Nun. So named for its resemblance to a nun kneeling in prayer before a great altar. Many legends have grown up around the giant monolith which rests near the . . . — Map (db m38228) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Hanover — Ladies Auxiliary of Local 890Mine Mill & Smelter — (1951-1952)
After eight failed negotiating sessions and the expiration of their labor contract, Mexican-American workers at nearby Empire Zinc mine struck for wage and benefit equality. When an injunction prohibited union members from picketing, the women - . . . — Map (db m38229) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Hanover — Santa Rita Copper Mines
Copper has been mined here since 1804. For five years, development by Francisco Manuel Elguea resulted in some 6,000,000 pounds of copper being transported annually to Mexico City by mule train. Brief periods of activity were halted by Apache . . . — Map (db m38216) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Hurley — City of Rocks State Park
Wind and water gradually sculpted the volcanic tuff at City of Rock creating the rows of monolithic blocks that gave this park its name. Camping/picnicking sites are tucked away among these Stonehenge-like formations and the park also features a . . . — Map (db m64725) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Pinos Altos — Pinos Altos
Once the seat of Grant County, Pinos Altos, survived conflicts with the Apache. A gold discovery in 1860 by three 49ers from California stimulated a boom that led to the establishment of this mining camp which produced over $8,000,000 of gold, . . . — Map (db m38230) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Santa Rita — Santa Rita Copper Mine
Before you is the Santa Rita copper mine, one of the oldest mines in North America. The Santa Rita Mine, of Chino Operations, is owned by Freeport-McMoran Copper and Gold Inc. Chino produces copper and molybdenum. An Industry . . . — Map (db m71523) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Silver City — GFWC Silver City Women's Club
This Pueblo Revival style building has served as the GFWC social and volunteer center since 1936. Site No. 1830 A Registered Cultural Property State of New Mexico — Map (db m38304) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Silver City — McComas Incident
In March 1883, Judge and Mrs. H.C. McComas were killed in this vicinity by a group of Chiricahua Apaches led by Chatto. An extensive manhunt failed to rescue their six-year-old son, who had been taken captive. This incident was part of a violent . . . — Map (db m38232) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Silver City — Municipal MuseumTown of Silver City — New Mexico
Silver City Centennial 1970 Municipal Museum Town of Silver City New Mexico Built in 1881 as a private home for Harry B. Ailman Acquired by the town of Silver City in 1926 and dedicated as a historical museum by the town of Silver City in . . . — Map (db m38307) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Silver City — O.B. McClintock Bank Clock1918
Returned to this, its original location through the generosity of Wells Fargo Bank, successor to the American National Bank, which occupied this corner for 55 years. The Town of Silver City Council Members Mayor Terry Fortneberry Judy . . . — Map (db m38308) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Silver City — Silver CityPopulation 9,887 - Elevation 5,895
Silver City is located in the midst of rich mineral deposits. The Santa Rita Copper Mines, opened in 1805, were the second such mines operating in what is now the U.S. A silver strike in 1870 began the commercial mining for which the area is still . . . — Map (db m38231) HM
New Mexico (Guadalupe County), La Loma — Mela Leger-Bilingual Education Pioneer(1928-2006)
Side A: At four, Manuelita de Atocha (Mela) Lucero Leger read Spanish language newspapers to her blind grandfather in Colonias. Although New Mexico's constitution protects Spanish-speaking students, school children were often punished . . . — Map (db m45893) HM
New Mexico (Guadalupe County), Newkirk — Comanche Country
By 1700 the Comanches had acquired the horse and began moving into this area. They drove out the Jicarilla Apaches, and their raids on New Mexico's eastern frontier posed a threat to Indian, Spanish and Anglo settlements for over a century. The . . . — Map (db m93763) HM
New Mexico (Guadalupe County), Newkirk — Llano Estacado
Rising above these red-earth lowlands to the south is the Llano Estacado or Staked Plain, a high plateau covering some 32,000 square miles in eastern New Mexico and adjacent areas in Texas. Topographically, it is one of the flattest areas in the . . . — Map (db m93197) HM
New Mexico (Guadalupe County), Santa Rosa — Edge of Plains
Grassy plains meet pine dotted uplands in this transition from Great Plains to Basin and Range provinces. Plains to the east are capped by caliche, sand, and gravel which are deeply eroded into the underlying bedrock in places. To the west, faulting . . . — Map (db m91047) HM
New Mexico (Guadalupe County), Santa Rosa — Puerto de Luna
Established by the early 1860s, Puerto de Luna is one of southeast New Mexico’s oldest permanent settlements. An important farming and ranching center, the town was the Guadalupe County seat from 1891 until 1903. A strong oral tradition maintains . . . — Map (db m45906) HM
New Mexico (Guadalupe County), Santa Rosa — Santa RosaPopulation 2,469 - Elevation 4,620
The Spanish explorer Antonio de Espejo passed through this area in 1583, as did Gaspar Castano de Sosa in 1590. Santa Rosa, the Guadalupe County seat, was laid out on the ranch of Celso Baca y Baca, a politician and rancher in the late 1800s. It was . . . — Map (db m45894) HM
New Mexico (Guadalupe County), Santa Rosa — Santa RosaPopulation—2,469 - Elevation—4,620 ft.
The Spanish explorer Antonio de Espejo passed through this area in 1583, as did Gaspar Castaño de Sosa in 1590. Santa Rosa, the Guadalupe County seat, was laid out on the ranch of Celso Baca y Baca, a politician and rancher in the late 1800s. It was . . . — Map (db m45895) HM
New Mexico (Guadalupe County), Santa Rosa — Santa RosaPopulation—2,469 - Elevation—4,620 ft.
The Spanish explorer Antonio de Espejo passed through this area in 1583, as did Gaspar Castaño de Sosa in 1590. Santa Rosa, the Guadalupe County seat, was laid out on the ranch of Celso Baca y Baca, a politician and rancher in the late 1800s. It was . . . — Map (db m91041) HM
New Mexico (Guadalupe County), Santa Rosa — Trail of the Forty-Niners
To give gold-seekers another route to California, Capt. Randolph B. Marcy and Lt. James H. Simpson opened a wagon road from Arkansas to New Mexico in 1849. Marcy’s Road, although very popular with the Forty-Niners, still was never as well-traveled . . . — Map (db m91044) HM
New Mexico (Guadalupe County), Vaughn — VaughnPopulation 737 - Elevation 5965
Vaughn, a division point in the transcontinental railway system, is located along the route of the Stinson cattle trail. In 1882, Jim Stinson, manager of the New Mexico Land and Livestock Co., drove 20,000 cattle in eight separate herds along this . . . — Map (db m47146) HM
New Mexico (Harding County), Roy — Canadian River Canyon
Flowing out of the Rockies, the Canadian River has cut a gorge 600 feet deep through sedimentary strata of the High Plains. Rim elevation is 5,400 feet. — Map (db m62852) HM
New Mexico (Harding County), Roy — Mills Canyon
The site of one of New Mexico's most spectacular horticultural enterprises, the Orchard Ranch, established by Melvin W. Mills of Springer and notable for its skillfully engineered irrigation system. The ranch cultivated 12 miles of land along the . . . — Map (db m63777) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Animas — 7 — Historical Marker No. 7U.S. Mormon Battalion Trail
On November 28, 1846 the Mormon Battalion of the U. S. Army West crossed these mountains near this summit enroute to California during the Mexican War. Col. Cooke had dispatched scouts ahead to find the best route. An Indian guide, Charbonneau, . . . — Map (db m91987) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Animas — Smugglers’ Trail
Smugglers once crossed this area with mule trains of contraband from Mexico, to be traded for merchandise in Arizona. In the summer of 1881, a group of Mexican smugglers was killed in Skeleton Canyon by members of the Clanton gang, including Old Man . . . — Map (db m37770) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Animas — The Clanton Hideout
The infamous Clanton Gang had two crude dugouts here in the 1880s that served as hideouts and a base for wide-ranging outlaw activities, particularly in connection with the Curly Bill Gang’s depredations along the Smugglers’ Trail that passed by . . . — Map (db m37771) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — Camp Lordsburg
Near this site the US Army operated a camp during World War II. It opened as an internment camp for the Japanese and Japanese-American civilians from 1942-43. It later reopened as the Lordsburg Prisoner of War Camp for Germans and Italians from . . . — Map (db m60678) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument
Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument was established in 1907 by Theodore Roosevelt to protect the prehistoric material culture of the Mogollon people and others who inhabited this area. The first scientific description of a pueblo ruin on the . . . — Map (db m38242) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — LordsburgPopulation 3,195 — Elevation 4,245
Lordsburg was founded in 1880 on the route of the Southern Pacific Railroad, near that used by the Butterfield Overland Mail Co., 1858-1861. It eventually absorbed most of the population of Shakespeare, a now-deserted mining town three miles south. — Map (db m38233) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — LordsburgElevation 4,245
Lordsburg was founded in 1880 on the route of the Southern Pacific Railroad, near that used by the Butterfield Overland Mail Co., 1858-1861. The town was named for Delbert Lord, an engineer with the railroad. In 1927, Charles Lindbergh landed his . . . — Map (db m38244) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — LordsburgElevation 4,245
Lordsburg was founded in 1880 on the route of the Southern Pacific Railroad, near that used by the Butterfield Overland Mail Co., 1858-1861. The town was named for Delbert Lord, an engineer with the railroad. In 1927, Charles Lindbergh landed his . . . — Map (db m73727) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — Lordsburg-Hidalgo Library
The Lordsburg-Hidalgo Library was founded in 1928 under the leadership of Bethel Vernon Fuller (1888-1976). Mrs. Fuller, president of the Library Board of Trustees from 1928-1969, raised funds to build the WPA Pueblo Revival style building, which . . . — Map (db m73726) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — Shakespeare
Located at the north end of the Pyramid Mountains, near the old stage stop at Mexican Springs, Shakespeare was first known as Pyramid Station. Later named Ralston, a diamond swindle caused its collapse in 1874. The town was revived as Shakespeare in . . . — Map (db m38243) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — The Women of Shakespeare
(Front): Emma Marble Muir (1873–1959) Rita Wells Hill (1901–1985) Janaloo Hill Hough (1939–2005) Emma Marble Muir arrived at the mining town of Shakespeare in 1882. She and her daughter, Rita Wells Muir, learned . . . — Map (db m38246) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — Yucca Plains / Yucca/ New Mexico's State Flower
Marker Front: Wide alluvial plains of Southwest New Mexico are feature of basin and range province with isolated fault block mountains scattered like islands from a sandy sea. Volcanic rocks form most of Cedar Mountains to south and Pyramid . . . — Map (db m42271) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Playas — Playas Siding
In 1902, Phelps, Dodge and Company built the El Paso and Southwestern Railroad to link El Paso, Texas with the copper mines of Bisbee, Arizona, and eventually, with several other mining towns throughout the region. Highway 9, New Mexico’s . . . — Map (db m37772) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Rodeo — Rodeo Intermediate Field Civil Aeronautics Authority # 57A
The intermediate field system, developed by the U.S. Department of Commerce, greatly increased safety in early commercial aviation. Rodeo Intermediate Field 57A was established in 1930 to enhance navigation for Standard Airlines -later TWA- from . . . — Map (db m62752) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Rodeo — Rodeo Station
The El Paso and Southwestern railroad was constructed in 1902 by Phelps, Dodge and Company, to link El Paso, Texas with the copper mines of Bisbee, Arizona. New Mexico Highway 9, the "Border Route", between Columbus and Rodeo, parallels the rail . . . — Map (db m34856) HM
New Mexico (Lea County), Caprock — Llano Estacado
Nomadic Indians and countless buffalo herds dominated this vast plain when the Vásquez de Coronado expedition explored it in 1541. Later it was the focus of Comanchero activity, and in the 19th century it became a center for cattle ranching. The . . . — Map (db m73464) HM
New Mexico (Lea County), Hobbs — HobbsPopulation 28,794 – Elevation 3615 ft.
Named for the family of James Hobbs which homesteaded here in 1907, Hobbs became first a trading village for ranchers and then a major oil town after the discovery of oil by the Midwest Oil Company in 1928. — Map (db m61441) HM

596 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 396
Paid Advertisement