HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
North Carolina Markers
2265 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 2015
North Carolina (Alamance County), Alamance — G 24 — Battle of Alamance
The militia under Royal Governor Tryon defeated the Regulators at this point, May 16, 1771. — Map (db m28261) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Alamance — G 111 — Battle of Clapp's Mill
Troops led by Henry Lee ambushed British cavalry of Banastre Tarleton one mile north, Mar. 2, 1781. Americans retreated under heavy British fire. — Map (db m32592) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Alamance — First Battle of the Revolution
[ Rear of Monument ] Here was fought the Battle of Alamance between the British and the Regulators ------------- [ Right of Monument ] Liberty [ Left of Monument ] 1880 — Map (db m33797) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Alamance — Johnston Moves WestHolt's Mill — Carolinas Campaign
(Preface): The Carolinas Campaign began of February 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savannah, Georgia, after the March to the Sea. Sherman's objective was to join Gen. Ulysses S. Grant in Virginia to crush Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. Scattered Confederate forces consolidated in North Carolina, the Confederacy's logistical lifeline, where Sherman defeated Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's last-ditch attack at Bentonville. After Sherman was . . . — Map (db m45341) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Alamance — Oak Grove Plantation
Oak Grove (ca. 1790-1910) was a 1,693-acre grain farm owned by the Holt family. The Holts were pioneers in the southern textile industry and developers of "Alamance Plaid" fabrics. While textiles made the Holts one of the wealthiest families in North Carolina, their initial prosperity was agriculturally based, supported by the slave economy of the pre-industrial South. Essential Corn Throughout the 19th century, Oak Grove's primary crop was corn. Corn was an essential component of . . . — Map (db m74439) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Alamance — Oak Grove Plantation1790-1910
1693 acre grain plantation founded by Michael Holt III (1778-1842). Birthplace of E.M. Holt (1807-1884), a founder of the southern textile industry and developer of "Alamance Plaid" fabrics. Dr. William Rainey Holt (1798-1868), noted "scientific agriculturalist," and N.C. Governor Thomas M. Holt (1831-1896) also born here. Oak Grove Stock Farm established on this site in the 1880s by Lynn Banks Holt (1842-1920). Former slave Caswell Holt (b. 1834) named first black deputy in Reconstruction . . . — Map (db m74448) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Alamance — The Battle of the Alamance
The first battle of the Revolutionary War, was fought in Orange County, North Carolina May 16th, 1771. [ Right of Monument ] 1771 – 81             1901 James Hunter “General” of the Regulators. “The country is as much master now as ever.”     November 6th, 1772 Alamance     May 16th, 1771 Cherokee War     October, 1776 Guilford Court House     March 15th, 1781 Born 1740.             Died 1821. [ Back of Monument ]1773 without courts and beyond the . . . — Map (db m33799) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — A Legacy of Community
Following the labor turbulence of the 1930s and the strain of the Great Depression, World War II brought relative calm and increased productivity to the mill communities. Immediately after the War, however, mill owners revived a movement that had begun during the Depression Era: the sale of the mill villages. By 1958, owners had sold off 73% of the textile mill villages in the South. Though a few mill towns remained as late as the 1970s, today the mill village community is largely a memory. . . . — Map (db m32846) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — African Americans in the Mill Village
African Americans experienced the textile mill world very differently than white families. Mills did not offer the same work opportunities to black men and women as they did for whites. Life in the mill village was also restricted, and black workers typically had to seek housing and recreation elsewhere. Owners offered African American men only the dirtiest and heaviest work. Most commonly, they unloaded cotton bales from wagons in the mill yard. Some also worked in the boiler, picker, or . . . — Map (db m32783) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — After the Whistle Blows
Mill employees worked at tedious jobs for long hours, usually having only Sundays to rest. With responsibilities at home as well as in the mill, free time was limited. Still, mill workers found ways to socialize, relax, and have fun in a world governed by the screech of the steam whistle. Though workdays could stretch twelve hours with no scheduled breaks, many workers found a way to rest. Men often met outdoors to smoke, while women gathered in washrooms to gossip, joke, or sing. Edna . . . — Map (db m32999) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — G 82 — Alamance Cotton Mill
Built 1837 by E. M. Holt. Produced Alamance Plaid, the first factory-dyed cotton cloth south of the Potomac. Stood here. — Map (db m28695) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Battle of Alamance
Here was fought (I) on May 16, 1771, the Battle of Alamance. Opposing forces were colonial militia, mainly from the eastern part of the province, commanded by Governor William Tryon, and a band of frontier dwellers known as Regulators, who had risen in arms against corrupt practices in local government. On May 14 Tryon’s force of 1,100 men, arriving in the heart of Regulator country to subdue these uprisings, made camp on Alamance Creek (B). Already some 2,000 Regulators, armed with old . . . — Map (db m35055) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Battle of Clapp's Mill
Battle of Clapp's Mill On March 2, 1781, the American light troops under Colonel Otho Holland Williams of Maryland and Lieutenant Colonel Henry "Lighthouse Harry" Lee of Virginia engaged the British light troops near Clapp's Mill on Beaver Creek. The Americans attempted to lure the British forces, under Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton, from their camp near the mill (almost one mile southeast of this spot) into an ambush on Alamance Creek where cavalry units and reinforcements lay . . . — Map (db m28062) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Calling the Mill Village 'Home'
Mill owners initially built villages near textile mills to attract families of workers. By 1900, 92% of workers lived in mill-owned housing. A typical mill village in the 1920s consisted of about 350 houses located within walking distance of the mill. In most cases, the company owned the houses and charged workers rent. In 1908, rent averaged $3.57 monthly – about half that charged outside the mill community. Mill villages proved beneficial both to workers and owners. Workers lived . . . — Map (db m32830) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Camp Alamance
At this site on 1 June 1861 soldiers of the 6th NC State Troops, commanded by Col. Charles Fisher president of the NC Railroad, drilled before departing for the war front. In July 1861, they became the first troops ever carried by rail into battle. Their first conflict was 1st Manassas where Col. Fisher was killed. The 6th NC fought bravely in all major battles as members of the army of Northern Virginia. They were paroled by the Union in April 1865 at war's end in Appomattox, Virginia. — Map (db m29626) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Carriage Shed
To the right is the carriage shed. This building is an original building to the site. It was used to store a wagon or other horse drawn equipment. To the left is a blacksmith shop. Even though this building is not original, the blacksmith was very important to the farmer. Many farmers had blacksmithing skills and would be called on by others in the community to make or fix things for them. — Map (db m34743) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Cedarock Historical Farm
Welcome to Cedarock Historical Farm. The farm was settled in 1830 by John and Polly Garrett. The farm was 115 acres in size (85 improved and 30 unimproved acres). Please enjoy your visit and come back to see us. — Map (db m34720) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Charles Richard Drew1904 - 1950
Charles Richard Drew 1904 - 1950 Black scientist and surgeon Pioneer in the preservation of blood plasma Medical director of the Blood-for-Britain Project, 1940 Director of the first American Red Cross Blood Bank, 1941 Teacher to a generation of American doctors, Freedmen's Hospital, Howard University, Washington, D.C. Outstanding athlete, Amherst College and McGill University Member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Steadfast foe of racial injustice Died in . . . — Map (db m31142) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Children in the Mill Village
Early textile mill owners alleviated labor shortages by recruiting entire families for employment. Offering homes as well as jobs, owners created villages of workers from which the mills could draw. Children - sometimes as young as seven - filled the lowest paying, lowest-skilled positions in the mills. From 1880 to 1910, one quarter of the textile mill workforce was under sixteen. The family labor system blurred the distinctions between work and play for children. Many learned about . . . — Map (db m32671) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Confederate OccaneechiPiedmont Indians in the Civil War
When North Carolina passed laws in 1833 to restrict the rights of free blacks; they also limited the rights of Indians. In old Orange (later Alamance) County, many Occaneechi Indians including Dixon Corn, Jesse Jeffries, Enoch Jones, and Andrew Jeffries were prosperous farmers and tradesmen. The law kept them from joining the militia, but during the war many volunteered as foragers, teamsters, hostlers, and paid body servants. In North Carolina’s mountains, some Cherokee fought as soldiers in . . . — Map (db m46084) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Cotton Dust and Poverty
Although industrialization brought great improvements to the South, advancements in health and medicine lagged dramatically behind. Without antibiotics, infectious diseases were common and dangerous. Medical care was often unavailable, and employers had no obligation to provide health insurance or worker compensation. Working in textile mills and living in mill villages compounded the health risks already prevalent in the South. Different jobs within the mill brought their own unique . . . — Map (db m33273) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Dentzel Carousel
Burlington Historic Property Circa 1906 - 1910 — Map (db m29238) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — G 13 — Early Railroads
First public meeting to promote railroads in North Carolina, Aug. 1, 1828, was at Wm. Albright's home which stood 4 mi. S.E. — Map (db m30693) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Glencoe - Churches
Church congregations were central to social as well as religious life in the village. Mill owners encouraged church membership among their workers and often aided congregations to promote social stability and community morality. The Baptist church, a frame building with front bell tower, was organized in 1893 by Baptists from Haw River. Later brick veneered, it stands just up Glencoe Street from the village. In 1898 the company built an interdenominational frame chapel on Front (Glencoe) . . . — Map (db m32376) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Glencoe - Company Office and Store
Built around 1890 between the factory and the mill houses, the small brick building linked mill production and village life. The mill office was on the left side, with the owner's office behind it. The company store was on the right side. Especially before village residents had automobiles, the store was the place to buy food, tobacco, clothing and coal for heating and cooking. The company let workers make store purchases on credit. Their weekly paychecks had house rents and payments on store . . . — Map (db m31284) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Glencoe - Grist Mill and Dam Site
Like many Piedmont mills, Glencoe was built at an old grist mill site - the Vincent Mill begun in the 1860s. Remains of it may be seen on the "island" side of the mill race. The Vincent Mill had a wooden dam and a mill race about 100 yards long. For their cotton mill, the Holts kept the wooden dam and extended the mill race, blasting through rock, another 500 yards downstream to their mill on the land side of the mill race. The dam was replaced in 1909 and again in 1951 with a concrete dam. . . . — Map (db m31337) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Glencoe - Life in the Mill VillageFrom Farm to Factory
The whole matter of providing attractive and comfortable habitations for cotton operatives [is] summarized in the statement that they are essentially a rural people…while their condition is in most cases decidedly bettered by going to the factory, the old instincts cling to them.” - Daniel A. Tompkins, Cotton Mill, Commercial Features, 1899. For water powered mills such as Glencoe, their remote locations meant that industrialists had to provide housing. Owning . . . — Map (db m33540) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Glencoe - Lodge Hall and Barber Shop
The Lodge Hall, a small frame building, housed many types of gatherings. The Barber Shop, built in the 20th century, served village men and boys. In one period, old-timers recall, a barber would arrive and open the shop to cut hair one evening each week. — Map (db m32377) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Glencoe - Picker House and Dye House
2. Picker House After drivers delivered bales of raw cotton to Glencoe, the first step in transforming it to woven cloth took place in the Picker House. Men unpacked the cotton from the bales and removed such debris as twigs, leaves, and bugs. To reduce risk of fire from cotton dust and debris, the Picker House was separated from the mill. The men fed the raw cotton into the breaker lapper, which beat and drew out the cotton fibers to clean it and form the raw fiber into "laps" - loosely . . . — Map (db m32475) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Glencoe - Power, Wheel House and Turbine
To power the turbine that ran the mill, the water that ran through the mill race flowed into the wheelhouse at the back of the mill. It dropped down through the 48-inch, 152-horsepower turbine located below ground level. A metal shaft connected the turbine with a big pulley on the first floor of the mill. That pulley turned the overhead belts and smaller pulleys that powered machinery in the Picker House. Sometimes, eels from the river clogged the turbine, shutting down the mill until workers . . . — Map (db m32420) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Glencoe - The Marshall Family House Site
In 1899 James H. Holt sold Emanual "Man" Marshall a one-acre lot at the northeastern end of the Glencoe property. "Man" Marshall was the superintendent at Glencoe Mills for nearly forty years. He and wife Mary Eliza Murray Marshall lived with their fourteen children at the home place for over eighty years. Many of the children worked in the mill and lived in Glencoe as adults. Marshall family reunions are held yearly in Glencoe. — Map (db m33580) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Glencoe - The Mill BuildingsMill Design
Mill designers planned the brick and heavy timber mill to standards of the day. They employed the Italianate style popular for industrial architecture. Its ornate brickwork, arched windows, low roof, and prominate tower suited the functional needs of textile mills. Large windows planned in proportion to the width of the building shed natural light across the large work spaces. Sturdy construction supported the heavy machinery. The mill followed "slow burn" guidelines set by Northern . . . — Map (db m31547) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Glencoe - The School
When Glencoe Mill opened in 1880, founder James H. Holt was ahead of most of his contemporaries in requiring that village children attend school for several months a year to the sixth grade, before they could work in the factory. The company built the school and hired the teachers. Originally, three female teachers taught two grades apiece in a wooden schoolhouse. By 1918 nearly 100 students attended the Glencoe School up to the eighth grade. The mill built a new brick school in 1937 across the . . . — Map (db m33583) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Glencoe - Two-Story Workers' Houses
In Glencoe as in other Alamance County villages, the Holts built many substantial, 2-story houses for the workers. They resembled farmhouses in the area. In most of the 2-story houses, carpenters used hand-sawn timbers put together with pegs. Some have brick nogging between the timbers for insulation. These houses contain four to six rooms, for sometimes as many as ten or more family members. There were two rooms per floor, with a central hallway on the first floor. Originally, detached . . . — Map (db m33650) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Glencoe Management Houses
At Glencoe, there were three levels of management: Owner, Manager, and Superintendent. The location and style of their houses indicated their occupants' status in the hierarchy. The Mill Owner's House, built for Robert Holt, is a large 2-story residence beyond the edge of the village, facing NC 62 N. The Mill Manager's house was a 1 1/2 story dwelling overlooking the entrance to the village from NC 62. It burned in the 1940s; on its site today is the Holt-Heritage House of similar size (built . . . — Map (db m31504) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Glencoe Mill1880 - 82
Incorporated in 1880 by James H. and William E. Holt, sons of textile pioneer E. M. Holt. The last water-powered textile mill developed by the Holts. Produced napped cotton cloth, flannels and woven plaids. Employed as many as 500 workers at its height. Closed in 1954. Acquired by Preservation North Carolina in 1997. — Map (db m31082) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Glencoe Mill VillageBuilt 1880 - 82
A remarkably complete mill village exemplifying the post-Civil War development of the textile industry along the streams of piedmont North Carolina. Glencoe Mill built nearly 50 houses for its workers. Acquired by Preservation North Carolina in 1997 and privately restored by individual owners after 1999. — Map (db m31291) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — G 58 — Henry Jerome Stockard
Poet, author of "Fugitive Lines" and other works; lifelong educator; president of Peace Institute, 1907-12. Home stood here. — Map (db m29764) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — G 126 — J. Spencer Love1896 - 1962
Founder of Burlington Mills, 1924; success of rayon propelled world's largest textile company. "Pioneer Plant" 3/4 mi. S. — Map (db m29949) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — John and Polly Garrett House
It took John and Polly Garrett five years to build this house. During that five year period, they lived in the small log home to your right. The Garrett's moved into this house in 1835. Four years later, Polly gave birth to their first child. They eventually had four children while living here (three boys and one girl). — Map (db m34722) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Johnston Moves WestLogisticians at Work — Carolinas Campaign
(Preface) The Carolinas Campaign began on February 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savannah, Georgia, after the March to the Sea. Sherman’s objective was to join Gen. Ulysses S. Grant in Virginia to crush Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. Scattered Confederate forces consolidated in North Carolina, the Confederacy’s logistical lifeline, where Sherman defeated Gen. Joseph E. Johnston’s last-ditch attack at Bentonville. After Sherman was . . . — Map (db m46046) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Living in a Mill-Centered World
In the village, every aspect of the workers’ lives revolved around the mill. In addition to their homes, the churches, schools, and stores all belonged or were tied to the mill owners. While these places provided much needed social time for mill workers, they also served to extend the mill’s influence beyond the factory door. As an early twentieth century Congressional report asserted, “The company owns everything and controls everything, and to a large extent controls everybody in the . . . — Map (db m33320) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — McCray School
McCray School Est. 1915 - 16 One Room School House Alamance Burlington School System — Map (db m31153) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Men in the Mill Village
Transitioning from the farm to an industrialized way of life was especially hard for men. On the farm, men experienced a certain amount of freedom and variety; millwork was often tedious, repetitive, and produced only wages for a day's labor. Men had more opportunities than women to advance within the mill and could move from job to job by watching other workers and learning their skills. They also had access to the higher-paying, skilled work, and positions of greater authority. A man’s . . . — Map (db m32775) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Neighbors Divided
Industrialization came to the South later than it had in the North. The first generation of mill workers were transplanted farmers who had no tradition of labor unions. The nature of the mill village also made organized labor difficult. The mill owner – like the patriarch of a great family – controlled nearly every aspect of his workers’ lives. Resistance within such a world was hard to imagine. Still, as times changed, members of southern textile mill communities faced difficult . . . — Map (db m33311) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Norfolk & Western Caboose #518654
This Norfolk & Western caboose was given to the City of Burlington by Norfolk Southern Railway in 1993. It is symbolic of the railroad roots of the North Carolina Railroad town of Company Shops (1866) which became Burlington in 1893. The caboose was painstakingly restored in 2006-2007 and is now a museum depicting life aboard a train as it was when a caboose rolled behind every freight. Available for guided tours by appointment Call the Burlington Recreation & Parks Department Monday - Friday 336.222.5030 — Map (db m35022) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — G 89 — North Carolina Railroad
Company shops built here in 1857 for maintenance and repair of the N.C. Railroad. Closed in 1866. — Map (db m43304) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Occaneechi in the ServicePiedmont Indians in the Civil War
When North Carolina passed laws in 1833 to restrict the rights of free blacks; they also limited the rights of Indians. In old Orange (later Alamance) County, many Occaneechi Indians including Dixon Corn, Jesse Jeffries, Enoch Jones, and Andrew Jeffries were prosperous farmers and tradesmen. The law kept them from joining the militia, but during the war, many volunteered as foragers, teamsters, hostlers, and paid body servants. In North Carolina’s mountains, some Cherokee fought as soldiers in . . . — Map (db m58335) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Original Garrett House
In 1830, John and Polly Garrett constructed this small log home, which is one of the earliest structures in the district. They lived in this house for five years while they were building the large two-story house behind you. This house served as a kitchen for thirty years thereafter. — Map (db m34724) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Pine Hill Cemetery - Veterans Memorial
(Front):Dedicated to the men and women of Alamance County who served their country in war (East Side): Time will not dim the glory of their deeds (Back): Patriotic sacrifices forever remembered (West Side): Walter B. Ellis Post no. 63 The American Legion 1943 — Map (db m31558) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Pioneer PlantBurlington Industries
Burlington Mills was incorporated Nov. 1, 1923. The first plant of that company, later known as Burlington Industries, largest maker of textiles in the world, began operations on this site July 29, 1924. — Map (db m29995) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Pleasant Grove High School1922 - 1971
Side A Pleasant Grove High School was built on this site in 1922 to serve grades 8 - 10 from 5 small schools in the Pleasant Grove township and one from the Faucette township; Mahan, Sidney, King, Squires, and McCray. Brogden Tew was the first principal. Grades 1 - 7 from the 5 schools, plus Union Ridge School, were consolidated into Pleasant Grove in 1925 - 30. All small schools were eventually sold or demolished. In 1962 all-white high schools in the eastern quadrant of the . . . — Map (db m31151) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Post Office
During the 1870's and 80's, this building served as a community post office. The building has been restored and displays "pigeon holes" which are compartments used to sort the mail. The building on the right is a smoke house. It dates back to the 1850's and was used for curing meats. Smoking and salt curing were the primary sources for preserving meats during this time period. — Map (db m34735) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — G 22 — Pyle's Defeat
A body of Tories, going to join Cornwallis' Army at Hillsborough, was destroyed by a Whig force, Feb. 23, 1781. ¾ mile southwest. — Map (db m28524) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Pyle's DefeatFebruary 1781
Near this location, mounted Loyalists from Chatham and southern Orange counties led by Col. John Pyle, and on their way to join Gen. Cornwallis in Hillsborough, were defeated by units of Gen. Greene's American Army led by Col. Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee and Gen. Andrew Pickens. As the two forces converged on a narrow road, Holts Race Path, the Loyalists mistook Lee's troopers for British cavalry. More than 90 Loyalists were killed in a brief battle fought primarily with sabers and swords. . . . — Map (db m34718) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — St. Paul's Lutheran Church
On Colonial Trading Path Travelers used nearby spring Preaching point 1759 Originally called "Graves Church" Church founded circa 1770 Burials from early period in rock enclosed cemetery Recorded burials from 1790 Called "the Chappel" in 1793 Two log structures used prior to frame church Present brick church erected 1960 — Map (db m32156) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — The Animals of a Turn of the Century Farm
The animals of a turn of the century farm were very important to the self supporting farmer. We have tried to represent some of the more common animals found on the farm. We presently have sheep, goats, beef cows, dairy cows and a team of mules. The animals will be found in one of the pastures surrounding the farm yard. You are welcomed to watch the animals but please do not feed or pet them. — Map (db m34744) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — The Corn Crib
The corn crib (located on your left) was a special building used for storing corn and other grains. The corn would be picked from the fields and put in there to dry. Once the corn dried, the farmer would separate the kernels from the cob using a hand cranked sheller. Conveniently located near the corn crib was the out-house. Since toilet tissue had not been invented, the soft corn husk was the preferred choice. — Map (db m34736) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — The John Allen House
Quaker John Allen constructed this log dwelling circa 1780 in nearby Snow Camp. The State of North Carolina moved it here in 1966, restored it, and opened it to the public in 1967 to illustrate colonial life in the backcountry of North Carolina. The structure contains a main living area, a sleeping quarters, two porches, and a cellar for storing foods. Allen family descendants lived in the home until 1929 and made changes that included glass windows and exterior weatherboarding. All of the more . . . — Map (db m42253) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — The Regulators' FieldA Lesson for the Defeated — Carolinas Campaign
(Preface): The Carolinas Campaign began of February 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savannah, Georgia, after the March to the Sea. Sherman's objective was to join Gen. Ulysses S. Grant in Virginia to crush Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. Scattered Confederate forces consolidated in North Carolina, the Confederacy's logistical lifeline, where Sherman defeated Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's last-ditch attack at Bentonville. After Sherman was . . . — Map (db m42335) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — The Rise of the Textile Mill Communities
In the decades following the Civil War, the textile industry thrust the South into a period of rapid industrialization. In North Carolina, construction of railroads began through Piedmont “backcountry,” and cities sprung up in their paths. Piedmont farmers, who had always relied on family and neighbors to survive, now had greater access to the outside world. Agriculture itself was changing. The abolition of slavery transformed the plantation system, and freed people struggled to . . . — Map (db m33535) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — G 33 — Trading Path
Colonial trading route, dating from 17th century, from Petersburg, Virginia, to Catawba and Waxhaw Indians in Carolina, passed nearby. — Map (db m28700) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — G 60 — Tryon’s Camp
Before and after the battle of Alamance, the militia of Governor William Tryon camped nearby, along Alamance Creek, May 13-19, 1771. — Map (db m37373) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — G 60 — Tryon's Camp
Before and after the Battle of Alamance, the Militia of the Governor William Tryon camped nearby, along Alamance Creek. May 13-19, 1771. — Map (db m28526) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Women in the Mill Village
The first waves of migration off the farms were primarily single women and widows. Since these women had limited access to land, they were eager to take the steady work and housing the textile mills provided. An example of this was Bynum, North Carolina in 1880, where widows headed nine of the fourteen households in the mill village. Economically, women mill workers were a valuable asset to mill owners. Earning 60% of a man’s wage, owners saw women as cheap, unskilled labor, and therefore . . . — Map (db m32792) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Working the Shift
Turning raw cotton into cloth was a multi-step process. As a result, textile mills had different jobs all along the production chain. In the opening room, men unfastened cotton bales and loaded them into cleaning and fluffing machines. From there cotton moved to the picker room where workers cleaned it further and machines formed it into large sheets. Employees in the carding room oversaw the formation of clean, uniform, cotton ropes called slivers. Machines rolled these slivers out and others . . . — Map (db m32834) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Elon — G 52 — Elon University
Founded Elon College by the Christian Church in 1889. Coeducational. Burned in 1923; rebuilt 1923 - 26. — Map (db m30100) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — "Elmhurst"1869
Second Empire Victorian Architecture Residence of Capt. J.N. Williamson Son-in-Law of E.M. Holt — Map (db m35046) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — 1763 ProvidenceCenter of History
This site and "meeting house" was the area birthplace of a new country in pre-revolutionary meetings, a new county (Alamance), a new county seat (Graham), an early public library, a courthouse, a school to college presidents and a governor, and a center for area leaders to find guidance and faith as they founded other area churches. This is the birthplace of Elon University. Traveling down this early Indian Path and stagecoach road and leaving their marks in this area were the names O'Kelly, . . . — Map (db m64237) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — Alamance County Confederate Memorial
To Commemorate With Grateful Love the Patriotism, Valor, and Devotion to Duty, of the Brave Soldiers of Alamance County. (Back): "On Fame's Eternal Camping Ground, Their Silent Tents are Spread, and Glory Guards, with Solemn Round, the Bivouac of the Dead." (Side): Faithful Unto Death, They are Crowned with Immortal Glory." — Map (db m28269) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — Alamance County Courthouse
Alamance County Courthouse Built in 1923 to replace the original 1851 brick and stucco structure — Map (db m39916) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — Alamance County War Memorial
The Memorial Is Dedicated To The Honor Of All The Brave Men And Women Of Alamance County Who Fought In Service To Their Country And In Memory Of Those Inscribed Here Who Died In Defense Of Our Freedom. Civil War Jacob Adams, W.B. Adams, Calvin Albright, George M.G. Albright, Henry C. Albright, John S. Albright, Joseph A. Albright, Lawrence Albright, Samuel A. Albright, Sauren Albright, E.M. Allen, Lea Allison, Thomas Allred, Calvander Andrews, S. Andrews, Jacob Anthony, Alfred . . . — Map (db m31485) WM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — G 55 — Alexander Wilson
Teacher in Piedmont area from 1819 to 1867; operated own school in Alamance County, 1851 - 67. Home is 1 mile, grave is 3½ miles northeast. — Map (db m29244) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — Built to House the Alamance Gleaner
1906 Built to House The Alamance Gleaner Published Weekly 1875 - 1947 — Map (db m34989) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — Captain James W. White House1871
Constructed by E.M. Holt as a residence for his daughter, Emily Virginia, wife of Capt. James W. White — Map (db m35038) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — G 96 — Graham College
Est. by the Christian Church, 1851, as Graham Institute; forerunner of Elon College. Burned in 1892. Stood 1 blk. west. — Map (db m29894) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — Graham's First Bank
1851 Constructed by E. M. Holt for mercantile use In 1860 housed Graham's first bank — Map (db m31014) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — Johnston Moves WestRuffin Mills — Carolinas Campaign
(Preface) The Carolinas Campaign began on February 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savannah, Georgia, after the March to the Sea. Sherman’s objective was to join Gen. Ulysses S. Grant in Virginia to crush Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. Scattered Confederate forces consolidated in North Carolina, the Confederacy’s logistical lifeline, where Sherman defeated Gen. Joseph E. Johnston’s last-ditch attack at Bentonville. After Sherman was . . . — Map (db m46022) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — G 120 — Kirk-Holden War
Racial violence in Caswell and Alamance counties in 1870 led to martial law, under Col. Geo. W. Kirk, impeachment & removal of Gov. W.W. Holden. — Map (db m28308) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — Michael Holt II1723 - 1799
An early pioneer, leader and landowner, Michael Holt II was the son of Michael Holt I who had moved to this area in he 1750s. He is buried nearby with his two wives, “Peggy” O'Neal and Jean Lockhart. He had ten children who became the ancestors of many of today's Alamance County families. Holt was politically active in the years of the Regulation and the Revolution. The Battle of Alamance was fought on his land in 1771. His role in the Revolution began as a Tory, raising and . . . — Map (db m73992) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — Montwhite Building1907
Italian Renaissance Housed the Opera House and Various Mercantile Enterprises — Map (db m35016) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — Mt. Hermon Meeting House
Of log construction, used for worship and school, stood here. Deed for land recorded in 1834 states it adjoins old Mt. Hermon tract, which signifies a place of worship existed prior to this date. Feb. 27, 1834 annual Methodist Protestant Conference met here and elected as president, Alexander Albright, pastor of Mt. Hermon. — Map (db m66554) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — National Bank of Alamance
Organized in 1899 Housed in this building Constructed in 1906 Remodeled 1924 — Map (db m31013) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — Originally a Wing of the Union Hotel
1851 Originally a Wing of the Union Hotel In 1903 Converted to a Dwelling By L. Banks Holt — Map (db m35017) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — Providence Church & CemeteryFirst building erected c. 1763
Side A Providence was a gathering spot for pioneers in the Haw River basin. Many families and denominations during the eighteenth century used this cemetery. Many early settlers including members of the Turrentine, Sellars, Holt, Harden, Andrews, Trollinger and Long families are buried here. When the Christian denomination was founded in 1792, Providence became one of its first churches under the influence of founder James O'Kelly. One of the earliest schools in the area, . . . — Map (db m28277) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — The Harden House
The Harden House Greek Revival Architecture Built and Occupied by Peter R.Harden Pioneer Merchant — Map (db m34988) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — Wrike Drug
Renaissance Revival unaltered but for the new store front 1902 — Map (db m32400) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Haw River — Nathaniel Polk DeShongThe Southern Diaspora
Nathaniel Polk DeShong descended from Huguenot immigrants who settled near the Haw River about a mile and a half north of here. He enlisted on June 21, 1861, at 17 years of age under Capt. James W. Lea “for the War” in the 6th North Carolina State Troops at Camp Alamance (5 miles west). A slight man who handled animals well, DeShong was detailed as a teamster and ambulance driver on February 6, 1862. In that capacity, he removed the wounded from the battlefields of Antietam, . . . — Map (db m46081) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Haw River — G 59 — Thomas M. Holt
Governor, 1891-93; cotton mill owner. Sponsor of railroad development and state aid to education. Home stood 350 yards S. — Map (db m29968) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Haw River — G 81 — W. Kerr Scott
Governor, 1949 - 1953; United States Senator, 1954 - 1958; N.C. Commissioner of Agriculture, 1937 - 1948. Birthplace is nearby. — Map (db m29305) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Mebane — G 54 — Alexander Mebane
Brigadier general of North Carolina militia, member House of Commons, conventions 1788, 1789, and U.S. Congress. His home stood nearby. — Map (db m28808) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Mebane — G 36 — Bingham School
Founded as Mt. Repose by William Bingham ca. 1815; closed in 1827. Stood 1½ mi. N. Later operated in Orange Co. — Map (db m29303) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Mebane — G 30 — Hawfields Church
Presbyterian, founded about 1755, three miles N.E. Henry Patillo the first pastor. Present building erected 1852. — Map (db m29337) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Mebane — Johnston Moves WestHardee's Column — Carolinas Campaign
(Preface): The Carolinas Campaign began on February 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savannah, Georgia, after the March to the Sea. Sherman’s objective was to join Gen. Ulysses S. Grant in Virginia to crush Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. Scattered Confederate forces consolidated in North Carolina, the Confederacy’s logistical lifeline, where Sherman defeated Gen. Joseph E. Johnston’s last-ditch attack at Bentonville. After Sherman was . . . — Map (db m46023) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Mebane — G 34 — Trading Path
Colonial trading route, dating from 17th century, from Petersburg, Virginia, to the Catawba and Waxhaw Indians in Carolina, passed nearby. — Map (db m28822) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Saxapahaw — G 95 — B. Everett Jordan1896 - 1974
United States Senator, 1958 - 1973, and textile executive. Home stands one mile northeast. — Map (db m30266) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Saxapahaw — Saxapahaw
Welcome to... Saxapahaw First Settled by the Sissipahaw Indians Site of Pioneer Cotton Mill Built by Quaker John Newlin in 1844 & revived in 1927 by Sellers Mfg Co. Home of B. Everett Jordan U.S. Senator 1958 - 1973 — Map (db m30264) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Snow Camp — A Memorial to British Troops Who Died in the Old Meeting House
A memorial to British troops who died in the Old Meeting House during Cornwallis encampment here on his retreat from Guilford Courthouse March 1781. Erected by Troop 46 B.S.A. Henry Overman Leader Who Died Before Completing It. — Map (db m30558) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Snow Camp — Allen HouseCirca 1780
Original frontier log dwelling built by Quaker John Allen III. House stood approximately 400 feet southeast. Housed five generations. Moved in 1965 to Alamance Battleground State Historic Site. — Map (db m30287) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Snow Camp — Cane Creek Friends Meeting Since 1751 / Abigail Overman Pike 1709 - 1781
Side 1: Cane Creek Friends Meeting Since 1751 The first Cane Creek Meetinghouse stood about two miles east on land belonging to John Stanfield. The first of four meetinghouses on this site was built in 1764 on land given by William Marshall. The third meetinghouse was destroyed by fire in 1879 and the fourth in January 1942. Ten months later the present building was completed and services were once again held on this site. Cane Creek has accomplished much through the years. Sylvan . . . — Map (db m30682) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Snow Camp — G 69 — Cane Creek Meeting
First Monthly Meeting of Friends in central North Carolina, 1751. Present building is on the original site. — Map (db m30487) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Snow Camp — Cane Creek Meeting HouseSuffering for Peace
The Quakers (Society of Friends) were early anti-slavery supporters of the Underground Railroad. Once the war erupted and Alamance County residents chose sides, supporters of the Confederacy regarded the Friends as Unionists. Never attacked directly by their neighbors, the Quakers were subjected to various pressures to conform. The government, attempting to enforce the conscription acts, tried not only to persuade Quaker conscripts to renounce their faith but also inflicted physical and . . . — Map (db m45538) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Snow Camp — Ernest Peter Dixon1879 - 1953 — A Master Teacher - Father of Eli Whitney Schools
Educator, historian, civic leader, farmer, a teacher in the public schools of North Carolina for 32 years. 22 years in this community he motivated his students and the community, his home place stands 2 miles northwest. — Map (db m30283) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Snow Camp — Freedom Hill ChurchNo Slaveholder can be a Christian!
A mile south of here is the site of Freedom Hill Wesleyan Methodist Church, a simple frame building that measured 27 by 36 feet and was dedicated in March 1848. When local residents sent a plea for a minister to the Wesleyans in Ohio in 1847, the Rev. Adam Crooks accepted the call. Among the most outspoken of southern abolitionist groups, the Wesleyans held to the principle that no Christian could in conscience own slaves, a position similar to that of the Quakers. Confrontation with the . . . — Map (db m46020) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Snow Camp — General John Butler
1770 Sheriff of Orange County 1775 Moore's Creek Campaign 1779 August, GA, Charleston, SCStono Ferry, SC 1780 Camden, SC, Charlotte, NC Salisbury, NC 1781 Guilford Court House, Lindley's Mill, Elizabethtown near Wilmington — Map (db m30697) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Snow Camp — G 21 — Lindley's Mill
In a Battle, September 13, 1781, Four Miles Southwest, Butler's Whigs Failed to Rescue Governor Burke From Fanning's Tories. — Map (db m30270) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Snow Camp — Micajah McPhersonWe have Fought the Good Fight and Kept Our Faith
Micajah McPherson, a trustee of Freedom Hill Wesleyan Methodist Church and abolitionist, was lynched about a mile and a half southeast of here. Although there are different stories about his lynching, they agree that he was an innocent man lynched by vigilantes who the authorities protected. According to his descendants, after the Confederate conscription act was passed in 1862, riders approached McPherson’s house one day and demanded, “Where’s your boy?” “The . . . — Map (db m46021) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Snow Camp — September 13, 1781(Battle of Lindley's Mill)
On these grounds, Revolutionaries and Loyalists were buried together in mass graves by people of this neighborhood, who also cared for the wounded in their homes. Additional burials are at Spring Meeting House. — Map (db m30695) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Snow Camp — G 76 — Snow Camp
Settled by Quakers in 1749. Cornwallis camped in area after Battle of Guilford Courthouse and used home of Simon Dixon as headquarters. — Map (db m32292) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Snow Camp — G 91 — Spring Friends Meeting
Meeting house by 1761; Meeting recognized, 1773; Preparative Meeting, 1779; & Monthly Meeting, 1793. — Map (db m30276) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Snow Camp — The Battle of Lindley's MillSeptember 13, 1781
At this site, Patriot militia commanded by Brigadier General John Butler ambushed loyalist militia commanded by Colonel David Fanning in an effort to free prisoners, whom the Loyalist had captured at Hillsborough the previous day. Although losses were heavy on both sides, the Loyalist kept their prisoners and continued their march to join the British forces at Wilmington. After the four hour battle, local residents cared for the wounded on both sides and buried the dead. — Map (db m30696) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Snow Camp — The Battle of Lindley's Mill Memorial
In Memory of the Whig and Tory Soldiers who died in the Battle of Lindley's Mill 14th D. 11 Mo. 1781 and were buried here and on the battlefield Erected 7th Day 10 Mo. 1979 — Map (db m30594) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Snow Camp — Uncle Eli's Quilting PartyBegan here in former Eli Whitney School
In 1921 Principal E.P. Dixon started high school classes in nearby vacant cotton gin, naming school for the inventor Eli Whitney. In 1923 high school classes relocated to building on this site. In 1928 a primary grade school building was added for students of local one-room type schools: Center, Manndale, Concord, Spring, and Greenhill, along with a uniting connector auditorium that was also used for community events. Here began "Uncle Eli's Quilting Party" in 1931. The one-day quilting . . . — Map (db m33345) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Swepsonville — G 128 — John Butler
Orange County sheriff in War of Regulation, 1770-1771; brigadier general, N.C. militia, 1777-84. Lived ¼ mi. N. — Map (db m69973) HM
North Carolina (Alleghany County), Laurel Springs — Robert Lee Doughton
Robert Lee Doughton, for whom Doughton Park is named, was born in Alleghany County, North Carolina, November 7, 1863. An original and leading advocate of the establishment and development of the Blue Ridge Parkway, he was a member of the United States House of Representatives 1911-1953, Chairman of its Committee on Ways and Means 1933-1947 and 1949-1953. — Map (db m24339) HM
North Carolina (Anson County), McFarlan — K-22 — North Carolina / South Carolina

North Carolina
Colonized, 1585-87, by first English settlers in America; permanently settled c. 1650; first to vote readiness for independence, Apr. 12, 1776

South Carolina
Formed in 1712 from part of Carolina, which was chartered in 1663, it was first settled by the English in 1670. One of the 13 original states. — Map (db m42303) HM
North Carolina (Anson County), Morven — K-6 — John J. McRae1815-1868
Governor of Mississippi, 1854-1857. Member, U.S. Senate and House; Confederate congressman. Born 5 miles southeast. — Map (db m42319) HM
North Carolina (Anson County), Morven — K-7 — Sneedsborough
Laid out 1795. Promoted as inland port town on Pee Dee River by Archibald D. Murphey. Only graveyard remains, five miles southeast. — Map (db m42309) HM
North Carolina (Anson County), Polkton — KK-1 — Brown Creek Soil Conservation DistrictFirst in America
Here was established the first district in America for a systematic program of land erosion control. Known as the Brown Creek District because it embraced the area of the Brown Creek Watershed, it heralded the beginning of a national program of soil conservation districts.

The Brown Creek District included the plantation birthplace of Hugh H. Bennett, “father of soil conservation.” Bennett, born in 1881, graduated from the University of North Carolina in 1903, and became a . . . — Map (db m42349) HM
North Carolina (Anson County), Polkton — K-11 — Leonidas L. Polk1837-1892
President of National Farmers' Alliance, 1889-1892; began Progressive Farmer, 1886; a founder of NCSU and Meredith College. Was born here. — Map (db m42356) HM
North Carolina (Anson County), Wadesboro — K-41 — Boggan-Hammond House
Eighteenth-century house built by Patrick Boggan, Revolutionary soldier & a founder of Wadesboro. Now historical museum. Located 2 blocks south. — Map (db m42321) HM
North Carolina (Anson County), Wadesboro — K-55 — Hugh Hammond Bennett1881-1960
“Father of soil conservation.” First chief of the Soil Conservation Service, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, 1935-1952. Born 4 miles southwest. — Map (db m42344) HM
North Carolina (Anson County), Wadesboro — K-40 — Thomas Samuel Ashe
Associate Justice, State Supreme Court, 1878-1887; Member of Congress, 1873-1877; Member of Confederate Congress; legislator. Home is one mile west. — Map (db m42320) HM
North Carolina (Avery County), Elk Park — N-6 — Cranberry Mines
Iron ore deposits near here were mined from ca. 1826 until 1930. Supplied iron to the Confederacy. — Map (db m44969) HM
North Carolina (Avery County), Valley — Overmountain Men
Appalachian Trail, Yellow Mountain Gap. Yellow Mountain Gap is the junction of the Appalachian Trail and Historic Bright’s Trace, route used by the “Overmountain Men” to cross the mountain enroute to the Revolutionary War battle at King's Mountain, S.C. The blue-blazed side trail leads 0.2 miles to a barn which has been renovated to shelter Appalachian Trail hikers. Keep right at forks in the trail and turn right onto the gravel road which leads to the shelter. — Map (db m3269) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-48 — Alexander Stewart
Anglican minister to N.C., 1753-71. Served parish of St. Thomas & as chaplain to Gov. Arthur Dobbs. Erected first glebe house on record in the colony. — Map (db m65664) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — Bath African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
This site marks the former location of the Bath African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church. The AME Zion denomination, chartered in New York City in 1801, began in the 1790s when discrimination against African American Christians forced them to form their own churches. Constructed sometime between 1895 and 1900, archaeological excavations conducted in 1997 indicated a twenty feet by thirty-three feet timber-framed structure resting on brick piers. No photographs of the church are known to . . . — Map (db m65673) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-5 — Christopher Galeca. 1679-1735
Chief Justice of colony of North Carolina, 1712. Lived nearby at "Kirby Grange," his plantation. — Map (db m65701) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — Colonial Bath
Bath, originally the Indian town of Pampticough, was settled by white men about 1690 and incorporated in 1705. It is the oldest town in North Carolina. Its first commissioners were John Lawson, Joel Martin, and Simon Alderson. Here was founded in 1700 the first public library in the colony. St. Thomas' Church, built in 1734, is the oldest church in the state. The General Assembly met in Bath in 1744 and in 1752. — Map (db m64799) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — BB-1 — Colonial Bath
Bath, oldest town in North Carolina, was established in 1705. The first settlers were French Huguenots from Virginia. Among the early English inhabitants were John Lawson, author of the first history of Carolina (1709) and Christopher Gale, Chief Justice of the colony (1712-17, 1722-24, 1725-31). Thomas Cary, Governor, 1708-11, was a principal figure in the uprising known as Cary’s Rebellion. By 1708 Bath consisted of 12 houses and a population of 50 people. Trade in naval stores, furs, and . . . — Map (db m67574) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-47 — Edward Teach
Notorious pirate called "Blackbeard." Lived in Bath while Charles Eden was governor. Killed at Ocracoke, 1718. — Map (db m64796) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-21 — First Post Road
The road from New England to Charleston, over which mail was first carried regularly in North Carolina, 1738-39, passed near this spot. — Map (db m65358) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-6 — First Public Library
In North Carolina was set up near this spot about 1700. Books sent from England by Rev. Thos. Bray. — Map (db m66103) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — BB-2 — Historic Bath
(MAP OF TOWN OF BATH) Bath, the oldest incorporated town in North Carolina, was established in 1705. By the 1708 the town consisted of twelve houses and a population of fifty people. Among the early inhabitants were John Lawson, Surveyor General of the colony and author of A New Voyage to Carolina, the first history of North Carolina; Christopher Gale, the first Chief Justice of the colony (1712-17,1722-24, 1725-31); Governors Thomas Cary (1705-06, 1708-11) and Charles Eden (1714-1722); and . . . — Map (db m67575) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-56 — James Adams Floating Theatre
Toured coastal towns, 1913-1941. Edna Ferber's 1925 visit to ship, then docked nearby, was basis for her novel Show Boat. Map (db m66515) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-25 — John F. Tompkins
Agricultural reformer, a founder of the State Fair, published and edited the "Farmer's Journal", 1852-53, in Bath. This was his home. — Map (db m67567) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-63 — John Garziaca. 1690-1744
Anglican minister, born in Spain. Served parish, 1733-1744, in spite of difficulties inherent to life in colonial N.C. — Map (db m67170) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — John Lawson1674-1711
Naturalist, explorer and surveyor general for the Lords Proprietors, John Lawson traveled the interior of the Carolina colony in 1700-01. He described the 550-mile journey in A New Voyage to Carolina, published in 1709. Lawson was killed by Tuscarora Indians while exploring the Neuse River in 1711. His house stood nearby. — Map (db m67573) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-27 — Matthew Rowan
Acting governor, 1753-54. Councilor, assemblyman, and Surveyor General. Merchant in the Irish trade. His home was here. — Map (db m67566) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — BB-3 — Palmer - Marsh House
Colonial home of Colonel Robert Palmer, Surveyor-General of North Carolina 1753-1771 and Collector of Customs for the Port of Bath. Built c. 1744, probably by Michael Coutanche, it is one of the oldest surviving dwelling-houses in the State. Governor William Tryon described Palmer’s home as “a very excellent house . . . at Bath which I often resided in with my family, being Hospitably entertained.” After Colonel Palmer left for England in 1771, his son lived in the house until the . . . — Map (db m66701) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-62 — Port Of Bath
Colony's first town, incorporated March 8, 1705. Home to first port of entry, 1716; exported naval stores. — Map (db m65501) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-3 — St. Thomas Church
Episcopal. Oldest church building in the state of North Carolina; was constructed in 1734. — Map (db m67568) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Chocowinity — B-17 — Fort Hill
Site of Confederate batteries on Pamlico River which enabled General D. H. Hill's forces to besiege Washington in spring of 1863. Five miles east. — Map (db m52837) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Chocowinity — B-46 — Trinity Church
Episcopal. Originally Blount’s Chapel. Built ca. 1774 by Rev. Nathaniel Blount. Moved in 1939 from original site nearby. — Map (db m52776) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Chocowinity — C-36 — Trinity School
Episcopal boys school founded in 1851 by The Rev. N.C. Hughes. Open off and on until 1908. Many students entered ministry. Stood here. — Map (db m52835) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), near Bunyan — B-8 — Granville Grant
Formed northern half of colony of North Carolina. Its southern boundary was surveyed in 1743 to a point near here. — Map (db m65275) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-15 — Attack On Washington
Town taken by Federals, March, 1862. Confederate efforts to recapture it failed, 1862 and 1863. — Map (db m64758) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-16 — Burning Of Washington
The town was burned and shelled by evacuating United States troops in April, 1864. — Map (db m64759) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-36 — C. C. Cambreleng
Congressman from New York, 1821-39; House leader for Jackson & Van Buren; minister to Russia; merchant. Was born in this town, 1786. — Map (db m65820) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-33 — Daniel G. Fowle
Governor, 1889-91, state Adjutant General, 1863, Confederate officer, superior court judge, state legislator. His home was here. — Map (db m65862) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-28 — DeMille Family
Home of motion picture producer Cecil B. DeMille & his father, playwright Henry C. DeMille, stood five blocks west. — Map (db m65580) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-14 — Dr. Susan Dimock
Native of Washington, Zurich graduate, head of a Boston hospital, 1st woman member N.C. Medical Society, 1872. Her girlhood home was here. — Map (db m66169) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — Havens Memorial Building
This building which served the thriving shipping industry of early Washington was built in the early 1800's by Jonathan Havens (1744-1828). Its restoration in 1979 was made possible by a gift from Jonathan Havens Moss in memory of the Havens family. It is dedicated to Jonathan Havens, his son Benjamin R. Havens (1810-1880), and the grandson Jonathan Havens (1855-1929). — Map (db m70501) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-51 — John Gray Blount1752~1833
Merchant & land speculator. Shipping interests across eastern N.C.; also invested in western N.C. land. Home stood here. — Map (db m67373) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-65 — John H. Small1858-1946
Congressman, 1899-1921. Chair, Cmte. on Rivers & Harbors; champion of Intracoastal Waterway. Home stood 40 yds. E. — Map (db m67564) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-24 — Josephus Daniels
Secretary of the Navy, 1913-21; Ambassador to Mexico; editor; author. Birthplace stood here. — Map (db m67565) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-61 — Lindsay C. Warren1889-1976
U.S. Comptroller General, 1940-54; Member, U.S. House 1925-40. Sponsor Cape Hatteras National Seashore Act. Lived here. — Map (db m67563) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-39 — Siege Of Washington
Confederates failed to recapture town, March- April, 1863, but held it March-Nov., 1864. — Map (db m64757) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — Siege of WashingtonMarch 30 - April 20, 1863
To protect Confederate supply lines and to gather much-need provisions in eastern North Carolina, Gen. Daniel H. Hill planned demonstrations against Union-occupied New Bern and Washington in March 1863. He acted under orders from Gen. James Longstreet, whom Gen. Robert E. Lee had appointed commander of the Department of Virginia and North Carolina. After Hill’s expedition to New Bern ended with no result, he marched to Washington and, on March 30, besieged the town and its Federal garrison. . . . — Map (db m70502) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-59 — St. John the Evangelist Church
The first Roman Catholic church in North Carolina. Consecrated, 1829. Burned by Federal troops, 1864. Stood one block east. — Map (db m67562) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — Tranter's CreekBrothers in Battle
After Union Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside’s army captured Roanoke Island in February 1862, Federal troops occupied New Bern the next month and then secured the undefended town of Washington on March 20. Although several weeks passed with only a few skirmishes between the opposing forces, by May 19 Col. George B. Singletary’s 44th North Carolina Infantry was on picket duty west of Washington in the vicinity of Tranter’s Creek, where it threatened the Federal garrison. Singletary planned to attack the . . . — Map (db m70506) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — USS PicketBattle of Washington
During the summer of 1892, Union forces firmly controlled eastern North Carolina, with garrisons stationed at Plymouth, Washington, New Bern and elsewhere. Federal detachments raided the countryside at will, while Confederate authorities struck back with raids of their own. One such action occurred here at Washington on September 6, when Confederate Maj. Stephen D. Pool led 1,000 infantry, cavalry, and artillery against the 1,200-man garrison. Concealed by early morning fog, . . . — Map (db m64899) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — Washington, North Carolina
To commemorate the 200th Anniversary of Washington, North Carolina The first town in the United States to be named for General George Washington Originally known as "town at the forks of the Tar River." It was settled about 1700 and became the center of commerce for the Pamlico and Tar River: also the second shipping port in the state Dedicated to our Founding Fathers by the Major Reading Blount Chapter National Society Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m70505) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Merry Hill — A 49 — "Scotch Hall"
Plantation setting for the novel "Bertie," by George R. Throop (1851), tutor in the family of Geo. W. Capehart. House built 1838 is 8 mi. S.E. — Map (db m56987) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Merry Hill — A-10 — Salmon Creek and Eden House: Seedbed of the Colony
Along the banks of the Chowan River and Salmon Creek, the seeds were planted for the colony and state of North Carolina. From these roots in the 1600s emerged the refined plantation life of the ruling colonial gentry in the 1700s, made possible by the displacement of Indians and with slave labor. The earliest settlers in this region, largely natives of the British Isles, transplanted their folkways, building techniques, agricultural methods, and adventurous spirit to these shores. . . . — Map (db m56927) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — A 74 — "Windsor Castle"
Built 1858 by Patrick H. Winston, Jr. Birthplace of sons George T., educator; Francis D., lt. gov., 1905-1909; & Robert W., writer. 100 yards east. — Map (db m60651) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — Bertie Academy
Baptist. Founded 1895 for blacks, coeducational. W.S. Etheridge, principal after 1901. Later public school. Was 100 yds. W. — Map (db m67583) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — Bertie County Confederate Monument
We responded to our country’s call. “We fought an honest fight. We kept the Southron’s faith. We fell at the post of duty. We died for the land we loved.” Our Confederate Dead 1861-1865 — Map (db m60728) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — C. Wayland Spruill1889-1966
"Cousin Wayland". Farmer, businessman, and state legislator. Advocate of mental health programs. Home was 100 feet N.E. — Map (db m67582) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — A 7 — David Stone
Governor, 1808-10; U.S. Senator; Congressman. "Hope," his home, stands 4 miles northwest. — Map (db m60650) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — Eden House Root Cellar
In the days before electricity and refrigerators, many people built a kind of half-basement under a home or shed called a “root cellar” to store food. The natural insulation of the ground lets root cellars maintain a fairly constant cool temperature (c 50-55°F), which deters the spoiling of food. Long ago people learned that crops could be stored in root cellars after harvest season and stay fresh through winter. The bricks in this floor were discovered in the 1990s during . . . — Map (db m60732) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — Engagement at WindsorAction on the Cashie River
To disrupt Confederate recruiting efforts here in Windsor, the Bertie County seat, three Federal transports steamed from Plymouth on the night of January 29, 1864, under U.S. Navy Lt. Cmdr. Charles W Flusser. USS Whitehead and USS Bombshell headed up the Cashie River by way of the connecting “Thoroughfare.” USS Massasoit steamed up the Roanoke River to Cedar Landing below Hamilton and disembarked five hundred 103rd Pennsylvania Infantry soldiers at daybreak on . . . — Map (db m60627) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — Gray’s Landing
William Gray in 1776 set aside 100 acres at Gray’s Landing for establishing a town. 18th century travelers would have disembarked from sailing vessels docked at the foot of King Street at the old Gray’s Landing site. Visitors to Windsor today, crossing the Cashie River via Highway 17, enter the town at the old Gary’s Landing site. The old Halifax Road from Edenton to Halifax, both leading colonial centers, crossed the Cashie at Gray’s Landing, a deep water port. As the town developed, . . . — Map (db m60629) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — Historic Windsor
Created by an act of Colonial Assembly in 1768, New Windsor was established on the site known as Gray’s Landing. A part of grants to the Lords Proprietors, 2800 acres on the Cashie River were sold in 1717 by John Lord Carteret, Earl of Granville to Thomas Pollock. His son, Cullen, sold to John Gray 1,000 acres of the “Rosefield” Plantation in 1722. William Blount, a Gray descendant who was born at Rosefield, became a member of the Continental Congress and a signer of the Federal . . . — Map (db m60630) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — A 36 — Locke Craig1860-1925
Governor, 1913-1917; teacher, lawyer, state legislator. His birthplace is one mile N.E. — Map (db m60652) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — A 57 — Naval Battle, 1864
The Confederate ironclad ram Albemarle, led by Capt. J.W. Cooke, crossed Batchelor's Bay, May 5, 1864, and fought seven Union warships 15 mi. E. — Map (db m56990) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — A-48 — Roanoke River
Early channel of trade, its valley long an area of plantations. Frequent floods until 1952; since controlled by Kerr Dam. Old name was "Moratuck". — Map (db m67521) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — Roanoke/Cashie River Center Grave Site
These graves were discovered during site preparation for Roanoke/Cashie River Center. They were overgrown with vines and shrubs, and had not been tended in many years. One grave dates to 1884. No date is found on the other headstone. Virtually nothing is known about the history of the graves or the history of the people buried here. The graves have been left intact as a memorial to all those who have built and shaped the Town of Windsor. — Map (db m60733) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — The Battle of WindsorJanuary 30, 1864
Acting on orders from General Robert E. Lee in the winter of 1863-64, Confederate forces under the command of Major General George E. Pickett were deployed throughout eastern North Carolina preparatory to as an attempt at clearing the enemy from the North Carolina coastal plain. Union forces scattered in the eastern towns responded quickly. Just prior to midnight on January 29, 1864, three warships silently embarked from Union occupied Plymouth loaded with 1,200 Federal troops in an . . . — Map (db m60628) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — Wellington and Powell Railroad
This brick vault was once housed in the depot of the Wellington and Powell Railroad. The W&P ran between Windsor and Ahoskie in the early to mid 1900’s carrying produce and passengers. There was a hill on the train’s route it often had trouble climbing. Passengers sometimes had to literally jump out and help push cars to the top. That led to people jokingly refer to the W&P as the “Walk and Push.” — Map (db m60730) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — A 41 — William Blount
Member of Continental Congress, signer of the Federal Constitution, governor S.W. Territory, Senator from Tennessee. Birthplace 1/5 mi. S.W. — Map (db m60649) HM
North Carolina (Bladen County), Clarkton — Old Brown Marsh Presbyterian Church2 Miles North East
Organized prior to 1756. Present building constructed 1818—the third on site. First two buildings of logs. Was also used for secular education until 1848. Among early ministers: H. McAden, Jas. Hall, S. Stanford, C. Lindsay. — Map (db m60483) HM
North Carolina (Bladen County), Clarkton — Old Brown Marsh Presbyterian Church
Organized prior to 1756 by Scottish settlers. Present building constructed 1818. Third building on site. First two building of logs. Was also used for secular education until 1848. Some early ministers: H. McAden — Jas. Hall — S. Stanford — C. Lindsay. Entered on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior September 2. 1975 — Map (db m60485) HM
North Carolina (Bladen County), Clarkton — Whistler’s Mother1804–1881
Anna Mathilda McNeill Whistler, mother of the noted painter, James Abbot McNeill Whistler, lived in a house which stood 1300 yards east of this spot. — Map (db m60280) HM
North Carolina (Bladen County), Elizabethtown — I-11 — Battle of Elizabethtown
Whigs broke Tory power in Bladen County, August, 1781, driving them into Tory Hole, 50 yards north. — Map (db m27536) HM
North Carolina (Bladen County), Tar Heel — I-37 — Thomas Robeson
Colonel in Revolution, member of provincial congresses and state senator. Robeson County is named for him. His home stood ½ mile N.E. — Map (db m18070) HM
North Carolina (Bladen County), White Lake — I-78 — White Lake CCC Camp
An installation of the Civilian Conservation Corps. Initiated modern park improvements. Established here 1835; closed 1942. — Map (db m60360) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Belville — D-25 — Alfred Moore
Associate Justice United States Supreme Court, 1799–1804, officer in the Revolution, state Attorney General, Judge. Home was 18¾ mi. S. — Map (db m6419) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Belville — D-14 — Arthur Dobbs
Royal Governor 1754–65, author, member Irish Parliament, promoter of search for Northwest Passage, is buried at Saint Philips Church. — Map (db m6436) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Belville — D 85 — Benjamin Smith1756-1826
Governor, 1810-1811, legislator, soldier, benefactor of UNC. His plantation, “Belvedere,” was 6 miles northeast. — Map (db m39650) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Belville — Fort Anderson
Large Confederate fort stands 13 mi. S. After a strong Union attack it was evacuated Feb. 18, 1865, resulting in the fall of Wilmington. — Map (db m6437) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Belville — D-3 — Orton
Fine colonial home. Built about 1725 by Roger Moore. Later Gov. Benjamin Smith’s home. Stands 16¾ mi. south. — Map (db m6435) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Belville — D-24 — Robert Howe
Major General in the Revolution, commander of the American Army in the South., 1776–78. His home stood 17 miles S. — Map (db m6320) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Belville — D-16 — Spanish Attack
A Spanish expedition captured the town of Brunswick, 1748, during King George’s War, but was soon driven away by the colonial militia. — Map (db m6420) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Belville — D-4 — Stamp Act
Resisted by armed band, Feb., 1766, at Brunswick, where royal governor Tryon lived. Site 18¾ mi. south. — Map (db m6410) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Brunswick Town State Historic Site — Russelborough
Erected by Captain John Russell, Commander of His Britannic Majesty's Sloop of War Scorpion, who gave his name to this residence and tract of fifty-five acres of land adjacent to the town of Brunswick. Subsequently owned and occupied by the British Governor and Commander in Chief, Arthur Dobbs, and later conveyed to His Excellency William Tryon, Governor. On the 10th of February 1766, this building, known as Tryon's Palace, was surrounded by one hundred and fifty armed men of the Cape . . . — Map (db m22372) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Brunswick Town State Historic Site — D 82 — Russellborough
Home of royal governors Dobbs and Tryon. Site of Stamp Act resistance in 1765. Burned in American Revolution. — Map (db m22197) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Calabash — D-79 — Boundary House
Commissioners met here to run boundary in 1764. Popular stop for colonial travelers. Ruins used to establish present state line in 1928. Located 2¾ mi. S.E. — Map (db m5375) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Calabash — D-30 — First Post Road
The road from New England to Charleston, over which mail was first carried regularly in North Carolina, 1738–39, passed near this spot. — Map (db m6317) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Calabash — D-29 — North Carolina / South Carolina
North Carolina. Colonized, 1585–87, by first English settlers in America; permanently settled c. 1650; first to vote readiness for Independence, Apr. 12, 1776. South Carolina. Formed in 1712 from pat of Carolina, which was chartered in 1663, it was first settled by the English in 1670. One of the 13 original states. — Map (db m6319) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Carolina Shores — D 29 — South Carolina / North Carolina
South Carolina Formed in 1712 from part of Carolina, which was chartered in 1663, it was first settled by the English in 1670. One of the 13 original states. North Carolina Colonized, 1585-87, b first English settlers in America; permanently settled C. 1650; first to vote readiness for independence, Apr. 12, 1776. — Map (db m39649) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Oak Island — D-62 — Fort Caswell
Seized by N.C. Militia three months before firing on Fort Sumter. Governor Ellis ordered its return to Federal Authority; three miles east. — Map (db m5834) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Oak Island — D-109 — Hurricane Hazel
Category 4 storm made landfall at Long Beach, October 15, 1954, with winds over 140 mph & 17-foot surge. Nineteen people killed in N.C. — Map (db m5832) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Shallotte — Shallotte
Established late 1700’s. Incorporated March6, 1899. The Shallotte River was navigated by commercial sailing vessels until the 1920’s when the roads were built. First church building erected on this site circa 1799. — Map (db m28823) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Shallotte — D-70 — Washington’s Southern Tour
President Washington, on April 27, 1791, was a guest at the home of William Gause, Jr., which stood four miles north. — Map (db m16277) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — (Map of the First 100 Lots)
Here on this small bluff overlooking the Cape Fear River, Joshua Potts in the year 1790 envisioned a town surrounding old Fort Johnston. “Braced up by the effects of the salubrious breeze, from the sea,” Joshua Potts laid out the first hundred lots, which were incorporated as the town of Smithville (later to become Southport) in November 1792. Look around you and believe in “Joshua’s Dream.” — Map (db m4792) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — Catalino Tingzon
Dedicated to the memory of Catalino Tingzon, interred in Northwood Cemetery, and all Merchant Marine seamen and U.S. Navy Armed Guard on the tanker S.S.John D. Gill torpedoed and sunk off Cape Fear by the German submarine U-158 March 12, 1942. The citizens of Southport cared for the survivors and mourned for those who lost their lives. — Map (db m4950) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — D-8 — Fort Caswell
Named for Gov. Caswell. Begun by U.S. in 1826; seized by N.C. troops, 1861; abandoned by Confederates, 1865. Stands five miles southeast. — Map (db m16331) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — Fort Johnston
This tablet was erected May, 1911 by the North Carolina Society of Colonial Dames of America to mark the site of Fort Johnston, the first fort in the Province of North Carolina, built under Act of Assembly of 1745 and completed 1764, and named in honour of Governor Gabriel Johnston. The Patriots of the Cape Fear resisting the execution of the Stamp Act in 1766 forced the spiking of its 24 cannon, the gift of King George II. The fort was the refuge of Governor Josiah Martin after his flight . . . — Map (db m4754) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — Fort JohnstonGuardian of the Cape Fear River
Confederate Lifeline. On January 9, 1861, as secession fever swept the South, an armed body of civilians overwhelmed Fort Johnston’s lone occupant, Ordinance Sgt. James Reilly, and demanded the keys. Reilly quickly surrendered them and received a receipt in return. North Carolina Gov. John W. Ellis, however, on January 11 ordered Fort Johnston and several other strongholds restored to the Federal government. The confederates reoccupied the fort on April 16, after the fall of Fort Sumter, . . . — Map (db m4761) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — D-11 — Fort Johnston
Built, 1748–54; burned by Whigs, 1775; rebuilt by U.S. government, 1794–1809. Only the officers quarters remain. — Map (db m4777) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — Franklin Square“The Grove”
Site for this public park was given to the town of Smithville, which was named in his honor, by Governor Benjamin Smith. His legacy provided that land in this square be used for educational, fraternal, religious and recreational purposes. Th giant live oaks which canopy Franklin Square are hundreds of years old. “The Four Sisters,” behind the City Hall, have been played by children for many generations. Thousands of camellias and azaleas have been planted to beautify he park, . . . — Map (db m5988) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — Indian Trail TreeKeziah Memorial Park — William Barnum Keziah, 1885–1957, “The Rovin’ Reporter”
This ancient gnarled oak has been estimated to be more than 800 years old. Indians may have bent the young tree to mark the trail to their fishing grounds. The tree took root a second time, thus developing the unusual formation. — Map (db m20366) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — D-89 — Josiah Martin
Last royal governor of North Carolina, 1771–75. Fearing capture, in June 1775 he sought refuge here. Fled offshore to HMS Cruizer in July. — Map (db m4790) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — Mrs. Jessie Stevens Taylor
Erected during North Carolina’s Tercentenary to Mrs. Jessie Stevens Taylor, 1879–1961. She loved her God, Country and fellow man. She served here as a Voluntary Weather Observer and Storm Warning Display Woman from 1900 to 1961. — Map (db m4752) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — Old Jail
On February 27, 1904, ground was broken for the “new” jail. Contractor A.J. Robbins received the contract with a low bid of $6,738. Its construction is “a concrete foundation with brick walls, laid in 1:6 bond constructed with a six-course belt and little woodwork.” The bond refers to the pattern in which the brick was laid and is visible as you look at the building. Typical of the period, ceilings on both the first and second floors are concrete and molded in a barrel . . . — Map (db m6095) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — Railroad & Religion on Rhett Street
Between the Civil War and the construction of the Panama Canal in 1904, local residents and investors desperately sought to surpass Wilmington by building a rail link to the Appalachian coal fields. Smithville would become the first refueling stop between the canal and northern ports. In 1890, a huge coal dock was built at the foot of Rhett Street as a part of that dream. Anticipating becoming the main port, Smithville had its name changed to Southport, the “Port of the South.” . . . — Map (db m6227) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — Robert C. Ruark
1915–1965, columnist and author. “The Old Man and the Boy,” were youthful rememberances of his material grandfather, Captain Edward Atkins, in this house. — Map (db m4800) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — D-93 — Robert Ruark
1915–1965. Columnist and author. His 1957 novel The Old Man and the Boy based on childhood visits with grandparents 1 block W. — Map (db m4798) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — Smithville Burying Ground
“Nor even this hour shall want its charm / For side-by-side still fondly we’ll keep / And calmly in each others arms / Together linked go down the deep.” —From the marker for Emeline L. Taylor and Major George Taylor who were swept from the deck of the steamer San Francisco, on Christmas Eve, December 24, 1853. This cemetery has served this community (first as Smithville and later as Southport) since the 18th century It is believed that burials took place here . . . — Map (db m6229) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — Southport’s First Fire Alarm
January 1916. Founded in 1893, the Southport Volunteer Fire Department was officially organized with the election of officers and adoption of a constitution and by laws on 21 January, 1916. Authorized purchase of the city’s first fire alarm bell was made at this organizational meeting. — Map (db m5996) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Winnabow — D-54 — Brunswick
Founded c. 1725, long a principal port of N.C., site of Spanish attack, 1748, and of Stamp Act resistance, 1766. Later abandoned. Was 2 mi. S.E. — Map (db m6451) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Winnabow — Brunswick Town State Historic Site
Brunswick Town State Historic Site was established on land donated to the State of North Carolina in December, 1952, by James Laurence Sprunt and his four sons, James Laurence Sprunt, Jr., Kenneth Murchison Sprunt, Samuel Nash Sprunt, and Laurence Gray Sprunt. The 114.5-acre tract, formerly part of Orton Plantation, constitutes the entire site except for 5.25 acres donated by the Episcopal Diocese of East Carolina which includes the ruins of Old St. Philips church. In grateful recognition . . . — Map (db m5535) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Winnabow — Colonel Maurice Moore
A memorial to Colonel Maurice Moore, gentleman and soldier of the King, who in the year of our lord 1725 founded in a wilderness The Town of Brunswick reserving for the glory of God the tract of land on which was built this parish church of Saint Philip. Also to the heroes and patriots of the Lower Cape Fear whose brave deeds illustrated its colonial history. Brunswick was for a time the seat of Royal Government in the Province of North Carolina, and the residence of the . . . — Map (db m6510) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Winnabow — Fort Anderson
Large Confederate fort stands 2 mi. E. After a strong Union attack it was evacuated Feb. 18, 1865, resulting in the fall of Wilmington. — Map (db m6438) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Winnabow — Fort Anderson
Begun 1861. Named in honor of General Joseph R. Anderson, then commanding military district. The Fort, under command of Brig. Gen. Johnson Hagood, suffered a severe bombardment by a Federal fleet and attack by Federal army under Maj. Gen. J. M. Schofield in February, 1865 and was evacuated. — Map (db m6494) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Winnabow — Fort AndersonOne Shovelful at a Time — Confederate Lifeline
In 1861–1862, Col. William Lamb and Maj. John Hedrick constructed Fort Anderson, one of several Confederate strongholds that protected Wilmington, a major blockade-running port. They enlarged Fort St. Philip (for St. Philip’s Anglican Church on your right), an earthen wall with gun emplacements that extended from the ruin to the Cape Fear River and renamed it Fort Anderson. Although Lamb had no engineering experience, he applied to the building of fortifications what engineers had . . . — Map (db m6515) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Winnabow — D-73 — John LaPierre
Ordained 1707; came to America 1708. Served in many churches in area as missionary of Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, 1732–1755. — Map (db m6483) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Winnabow — D-53 — Orton Plantation
House built c. 1725, subsequent additions. Home first of Roger Moore, later of Gov. Benjamin Smith, still later of James Sprunt. ¾ miles east. — Map (db m6448) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Winnabow — D-55 — St. Philips Church
Anglican, built under act of 1751. Graves of Governors Arthur Dobbs and Benjamin Smith and U.S. Justice Alfred Moore. Ruins 2 mi. S.E. — Map (db m6467) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — 1st U.S. Colored Heavy Artillery"Ready to Take the Field"
Gen. Davis Tillson raised 1,700-man 1st U.S. Colored Heavy Artillery in Tennessee and North Carolina in 1864. The unit encamped nearby while garrisoned in Asheville in 1865. Assigned to Tillson's 2nd brigade, the men participated in operations in Tennessee and Alabama and joined Gen. George Stoneman in Virginia and North Carolina in 1865. Stoneman reported that the unit had 1,100 men "ready to take the field." On April 27, 1865, Tillson wrote, "The ... First U.S. Colored Heavy Artillery ... . . . — Map (db m55571) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — Appalachian Stage
Since 1902, when the first city auditorium was built here, this area has been a center for entertainment and the preservation of Southern Appalachian culture. Acclaim has gone to composer Boscom Lamar Lunsford and playwright Hubert Hayes for celebrating mountain music and dance and to the Southern Highland Handicraft Guild for promoting traditional crafts. Placed in Honor of Mitzi Schaden Tessier, Local Historian — Map (db m36176) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — Ashe Monument
Dedicated to the memory of Samuel Ashe 1725 - 1813 Distinguished North Carolinian Governor, Statesman and Jurist in whose honor the City of Asheville was named — Map (db m30120) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — P-61 — Asheville Normal School
Presbyterian. Opened 1887 as Home Industrial School. Teacher's College 1892-1944. Stood nearby. — Map (db m56622) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — Asheville's Enslaved PeopleWartime Servitude
When the war began, more than 15 percent of Buncombe County’s residents were enslaved people. James Patton housed slaves behind his Eagle Hotel (straight ahead), where they worked as waiter, maids, grooms, cooks, and trail guides. Three blocks to your right, enslaved people lived and worked in James Smith’s Buck Hotel, store, stable, tannery, and blacksmith shop. Slaves worked in the Confederate rifle factory that stood to your right. Fearing that slaves would join the Union army occupying . . . — Map (db m75507) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — Battery PorterNapoleons on Stony Hill
Near the end of the Civil War in 1865, Confederate Battery Porter was positioned uphill to your right on Stony Hill, at that time the highest point in Asheville. The battery included four 12-pounder field pieces known as Napoleons, a model 1857 howitzer named for the French emperor Louis Napoleon, who had promoted its development. The smoothbore cannon could fire a solid or exploding shell almost a mile. It was the workhorse artillery piece for both the Union and Confederate armies. After . . . — Map (db m75505) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — P-56 — Battle of Asheville
On April 3, 1865, Union Col. Isaac M. Kirby left East Tenn. with 1100 men on a raid against Asheville. On April 6, Kirby's force was defeated by local militia under Col. G. W. Clayton. Earthworks remain 100 yds. N. — Map (db m55543) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — Battle of AshevilleKirby's Expedition
On April 3, 1865, Union Col. Isaac M. Kirby left Tennessee with 900 men including his own 101st Ohio Infantry for “a scout in the direction of Asheville.” Three days later, local resident Nicholas Woodfin spotted the Federals on the Buncombe Turnpike (present-day Broadway Avenue) and rushed two miles to Asheville to sound the alarm. Union scout Lt. William H. Greenwood and his men captured “five rebels, a mule wagon, and team of mules. Greenwood told Kirby that the . . . — Map (db m75534) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — P 68 — Biltmore House
Designed for George W. Vanderbilt by Richard M. Hunt. Constructed, 1890-1895. Opened to public, 1930. Three miles west. — Map (db m12704) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — Birthplace of American Forestry
George W. Vanderbilt, following the recommendation of landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, was the first American landowner to implement scientific forestry, the management and conservation of forest lands, on a large scale. He hired Gifford Pinchot, founder of The Society of American Foresters, to develop a management plan for the surrounding forest. Biltmore's forest management plan improved the health of the forest while protecting sustainable wood resources. The Biltmore Forest . . . — Map (db m58507) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — Buncombe County Court House1927
1927 Buncombe County Court House Erected by the People of Buncombe County Board of County Commissioners Hon.E.M.Lyda Chairman Hon.W.E.Johnson~Hon.W.E.McLean Burgin Pernnell County Attorney L.E.Jarrett County Draftsman Milburn Heister & Co. Architects Angle-Blackford Co. Contractors — Map (db m18694) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — P-77 — Buncombe Turnpike
Opened up western N.C. Built, 1824-28; the 75-mi. long route from S.C. line to Tenn. line, used by settlers & livestock drovers, passed nearby. — Map (db m55544) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — Civic Pride
Asheville's central square has long served the needs of government and commerce. From 1892 to 1926 a massive city hall with a bell tower dominated the east end. The building housed police and fire departments in addition to municipal offices. In stalls downstairs African-American and white merchants operated a public market. — Map (db m17062) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — P 57 — Confederate Armory
Manufactured Enfield-type rifles. In 1863 Plant moved to Columbia.S.C. Building was located 1/4 mi.SE.Burned in 1865. — Map (db m30269) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — Daniel K. Moore1906 - 1986
Governor, 1965~1969; N.C. Supreme Court Justice, 1969~1978; Judge;Legislator & Business Leader. "Man of the Mountains." Birthplace was nearby. — Map (db m56353) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — P-5 — David L. Swain
Governor and political leader. President of the University of North Carolina, 1835-1868. Was born three miles E. — Map (db m31260) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — Elizabeth Blackwell, M.D.
Dr. Blackwell was the first woman awarded a medical degree in the United States. She began privately her medical studies in Asheville in 1845 under Dr. John Dickson, for whom she taught music at Dickson private school for girls. The school was located on the actual site of the Drhumor Building. Elizabeth Blackwell was an 1849 graduate of Geneva Medical College in western New York. — Map (db m31663) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — P-30 — Forester A. Sondley1857 ~ 1931
Historian, lawyer, and bibliophile. Gave to Asheville the Sondley Reference Library. His home is 2.7 mi. north. — Map (db m56288) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — P-33 — Francis Asbury
Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church, 1784-1816, often visited and preached at the home of Daniel Killian which was one mile east. — Map (db m31456) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — Frederick Law OlmstedBiltmore Estate Landscape Architect — 1822 - 1903
As work progressed on Biltmore Estate, his last and largest private project, Frederick Law Olmsted observed, "It is a great work of peace we are engaged in and one of these days we shall all be proud of our parts in it." It was Olmstead who suggested the country's first scientifically managed forest be established at Biltmore Estate. He is remembered with gratitude for his vision, his creative genius, and his reverence for the land. Dedicated April 21, 1995 Commemorating Biltmore . . . — Map (db m58506) HM
250 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 367 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.