|Oklahoma (Atoka County), Atoka — Historic Butterfield Trail in Indian Territory 1857-1861|
|On September 16, 1857, the John Butterfield Company received a Federal contract to transport mail from Missouri to San Francisco in under 25 days. Semiweekly service began a year later. Twelve relay stations lined the Butterfield Trail in Indian Territory. Three (Waddle's Station, Geary's Station and Boggy Depot) were in present-day Atoka County. (See Back)
The Butterfield Trail permitted early trans-continental communication and was vital to settling the West. Service was halted by the . . . — Map (db m64072) HM|
|Oklahoma (Atoka County), Atoka — Middle Boggy Battle On this site lie Confederate Soldiers who died in battle, February 13, 1863|
|The Confederate encampment here at Middle (or Muddy)Boggy Crossing on the Boggy Depot Road held by Lieut. Col. John Jumper's Seminole Battalion, Capt. Alan Nail's Company A of First Choctaw and Chickasaw Cavalry and a detachment of the Twentieth Texas Regiment was suddenly attacked by Federal forces - 3 companies of Fourteenth Kansas Cavalry, Maj. Charles Willets in command, and a section of howitzers under Capt. Solomon Kaufmann. The Confederates though poorly armed made a firm stand in a hot . . . — Map (db m64126) HM|
|Oklahoma (Atoka County), Stringtown — Stringtown Shootout|
|Near this place on Aug. 5, 1932, Atoka County Sheriff C.G. Maxwell and Deputy Sheriff Eugene Moore were involved in a shoot-out with Clyde Barrow, Raymond Hamilton, and Everett Milligan. The incident occurred when the two lawmen tried to arrest the men at a dance in Stringtown. As the lawmen approached, the threesome opened fire, killing Moore instantly and severely wounding Maxwell. — Map (db m64070) HM|
|Oklahoma (Beckham County), Sayre — Delhi|
|In 1888 Thomas and Millie Price were one of the first families to settle in this portion of old Greer Co, now Beckham Co. Price built a cotton gin ½ mi. east of Delhi in 1903. The one-roomed Delhi Academy was established in 1921. The Academy was replaced by a consolidated school housed in a new three story red brick structure. During 1930s over 500 students were enrolled. Schools consolidated were Delhi Academy, Old Delhi Acres, Greenhorn and Friendship. Organizations such a Woodmen of . . . — Map (db m54903) HM|
|Oklahoma (Bryan County), Durant — 183 — Fort Washita|
|Site selected and named 1842, by Gen. Zachary Taylor, lster Pres. of U.S. Fort established 1842 by 2nd Dragoons, occupied by several rifle, infantry, cavalry, and artillery companies. Built to protect the Chickasaw and Choctaw Indians from the Plains Indians and wagon trains moving west. With the Mexican War and after gold was discovered in California, Fort Washita became a center of activity. Occupied during the Civil War by Confederate forces. Not occupied at any time thereafter by U.S. troops. — Map (db m52582) HM|
|Oklahoma (Bryan County), Kenefic — Nail's Crossing Butterfield Overland Mail|
|Butterfield Overland Mail site of Nail's CrossingHere was located a stage stand of the Butterfield Overland Mail route, under act of Congress, March 3, 1857. First mail service arrived here in September 1858, enroute to San Francisco, service continued until the outbreak of the War Between the States. — Map (db m40707) HM|
|Oklahoma (Caddo County), Anadarko — Chief Joseph (Himnaton - Yalakit)|
|1838 (approx.) 1904
Famous in Military and Tactical
skill for his tribe, The Nez Perce. — Map (db m11497) HM|
|Oklahoma (Caddo County), Anadarko — Jim Thorp ( Wa-Tho-Buck)|
|1888 - 1953
Sac and Fox & part Potawatomi.
World's Greatest Athlete, Winner of
the Olympic Games at Stockholm
Sweden, 1912. — Map (db m11496) HM|
|Oklahoma (Caddo County), Anadarko — Pocahontas|
|Powhatan --- 1595 to 1617
Noted as the Angel of Mercy who saved
the starving colonists of Jamestown, Virginia
Sculptor: Kenneth F. Campbell
Donor: National Society of the Colonial Dames XVII Century — Map (db m7619) HM|
|Oklahoma (Caddo County), Anadarko — Pontiac 1720 - 1769|
|Noted Ottawa Chief in Detroit
region. Warrior, orator and
organizer of the Indian Tribes to
save America for the Indian People. — Map (db m11499) HM|
|Oklahoma (Caddo County), Anadarko — Sequoyah|
|Cherokee - - - 1764-1843
Artist and tribal leader
Famous inventor of the Cherokee Alphabet
Sculptor Leonard McMurry
— Map (db m28103) HM|
|Oklahoma (Caddo County), Anadarko — Stand Watie Tsa-La-Gi 1806-1871|
|Beloved Southern Cherokee Chief
who served during Civil War as
brave Brigadier General. Last
Confederate leader to surrender.
Donors Frances Billingsley
Plains Indian Arts and Crafts — Map (db m7719) HM|
|Oklahoma (Caddo County), Anadarko — Tecumseh 1768 - 1813 Shawnee|
|A noted warrior / statesman who
conceived a confederation of Indian
Tribes to stem the flow of white
migration, revitalize tribal culture
and preserve tribal lands along the
Mississippi Valley. Killed in the
Battle of Thames River, 1813 — Map (db m11498) HM|
|Oklahoma (Canadian County), El Reno — Fort Reno Old Post about 2 mi. N.|
|U.S. troops encamped near Cheyenne Agency in Indian uprising 1874. Site s.w. of agency selected by Agt. J.D. Miles and Capt T Wint, established as permanent post in July 1875, and named for Gen. Jesse L Reno who died in action in Battle of Antietam, 1862. Post abandoned Feb 24 1908. Reserve was U.S. remount station to 1949. — Map (db m39808) HM|
|Oklahoma (Canadian County), El Reno — Major General Jesse Lee Reno 1823-1862|
|El Reno namesake born in Wheeling, West Virginia. Reno was a 1846 graduate of West Point Military and thrice decorated hero of 1846 war with Mexico. He was promotoed to Brigadier General at the start of the Civil War. Reno is credited with saving the nation's capitol at the 2nd Battle of Bull Run prior to being promoted to Major General in July 1862. Reno was kiiled in action on Sept. 14, 1862 at the Battle of South Mountain, Maryland. He was buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, Georgetown, D.C. — Map (db m56899) HM|
|Oklahoma (Canadian County), Yukon — Yukon Czech Hall (Bohemian Hall)|
|Established in 1899 by early Czech settlers who were members of Sokol Karel Havliček Lodge and Western Fraternal Life Association Lodge Jan ika Np. 67. Original structure replaced in 1925. Focal point of Czech, social and musical functions in Oklahoma. Traditional wedding, reunion and family gathering place. Czech plays performs until 1940. Czech dances held Saturday nights since 1925. A national and state historic site. — Map (db m56898) HM|
|Oklahoma (Cherokee County), Park Hill — Park Hill|
|Center of Cherokee culture was one mile east on Park Hill Creek; Home of Chief John Ross, Samuel Austin Worcester, Elias Boudinot, other pioneers and The Mission Press which printed millions of pages for the benefit of the Cherokee people. Nearly a century ago. A mile north of Park Hill was the Cherokee Female Seminary and about three miles northwest, the Cherokee Male Seminary. They left their impress on Oklahoma history. — Map (db m52751) HM|
|Oklahoma (Cherokee County), Park Hill — 66 — Park Hill Press|
|Established July, 1837, Rev. S.A. Worcester, Supt. Over 25 million pages were printed in Indian languages and in English by 1861. Printers and translators were John F. Wheeler, John W. Candy, Edwin Archer, Stephen Foreman. Near site are graves of Rev. and Mrs. (Ann Orr) Worcester, and the noted Cherokee, Elias Boudinot. — Map (db m52755) HM|
|Oklahoma (Cherokee County), Park Hill — 67 — Riley's Chapel|
|First Annual Indian Mission Conference of the Methodist Church was held in Oklahoma at Riley's Chapel, Oct. 23, 1844, Bishop Thomas A. Morris presiding. Conference area was west to the Rocky Mts., east to Ark.-Mo. line. Rev. Thomas Bertholf, missionary, had built Riley's Chapel. — Map (db m52757) HM|
|Oklahoma (Choctaw County), Fort Towson — Doaksville Noted Town in Indian Territory|
|This site is at the north end of Main Street, called "Commercial Row," in this town begun in 1831. Name of nearby post office, "Fort Towson," was changed to Doaksville on Nov. 11, 1847. — Map (db m52564) HM|
|Oklahoma (Choctaw County), Fort Towson — 184 — Fort Towson|
|Established May, 1824, under command of Col. Matthew Arbuckle to guard this region of Spanish border. Headquarters of Gen. S.B. Maxey, U.S. Army. Abandoned at end of Civil War. In the vicinity, Doaksville was important trading center and one time capital of the Choctaw Nation. George Hudson, Principal Chief, 1860. Noted Choctaws including David Folsom and Robert M. Jones. — Map (db m52576) HM|
|Oklahoma (Choctaw County), Fort Towson — Fort Towson Landing|
|The Fort Towson Landing was south of here on the banks of the Red River. Also known as the Public Landing, from 1824 to 1854 it served as a receiving point for soldiers and supplies delivered by keelboats and steamboats. Traders from the Choctaw settlement of Doaksville and local planters received goods and transported cotton to New Orleans. The cotton went to textile mills in Great Britain and the eastern United States, helping fuel the Industrial Revolution. Commercial navigation of the Upper . . . — Map (db m52578) HM|
|Oklahoma (Choctaw County), Fort Towson — Stand Watie's Surrender|
|Here at Doaksville, June 23, 1865, Brigadier General Stand Watie, Cherokee Indian, was the last Confederate General to surrender. — Map (db m52562) HM|
|Oklahoma (Choctaw County), Fort Towson — Transportation Crossroads|
|During the early 1800's, present Southeastern Oklahoma was a major transportation crossroads. Roads connected Fort Towson in the Choctaw Nation to military installations to the North, South and West. On the Texas side of the Red River, Jonesboro was a major entry point for thousands headed for Austin's colony and other settlements in Texas. Along these routes traveled such notable persons as General Zachary Taylor, Sam Houston, David Crockett, Jefferson Davis, and Benjamin Milan. — Map (db m52580) HM|
|Oklahoma (Choctaw County), Hugo — Dedicated to Vietnam Veterans "Lest We Forget"|
|For those who died in that terrible war: we bestow our highest honor, respect, and appreciation for they gave the supreme sacrifice.
For those who are still missing: we hope and pray for their return home.
To those who still suffer, whether in mind or body: we acknowledge your pain and appreciate what you did for our country.
To those who survived: God bless you. We are forever grateful.
To the families of those who served: we acknowledge the hardship, mental anguish, and . . . — Map (db m61963) WM|
|Oklahoma (Cimarron County), Boise City — Boise City Bombed|
|July 5, 1943
July 5, 1993 — Map (db m55259) HM|
|Oklahoma (Cimarron County), Boise City — The Mormon Battalion in the Oklahoma Panhandle|
|From September 23 through 27, 1846, the Mormon Battalion crossed the northwestern portion of the Oklahoma panhandle. The little army's 500-plus volunteers, recruited for the Mexican War, were enlisted near Council Bluffs, Iowa, from among the first company of Mormon pioneers, who were then enroute to the Rocky Mountains.
The Battalion's 2,000 mile journey from Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas, to San Diego, California, then the longest march by infantry in U.S. military history, traversed for a . . . — Map (db m55260) HM|
|Oklahoma (Cimarron County), Wheeless — Fort Nichols 7 mi S.W.|
|Established in May 1865, by Kit Carson, hero of Valverde and Brig. Gen., New Mexico Volunteers, to guard Santa Fe Trail and furnish escorts for caravans engaged in Santa Fe trade. Santa Fe Trail crossed this highway here and was first traveled by William Becknell's expedition from Missouri in 1823. — Map (db m39798) HM|
|Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — 280mm Heavy Motorized Gun M65 (Gun Nr. 21 on Carriage Nr. 3)|
| (left plaque)
At 8:31 a.m. on 25 May 1953 this gun fired the world's first atomic artillery round, at Camp Desert Rock, Nevada. 19 seconds later and 7Ύ miles distant, the shell that could wipe out an enemy division exploded on target with a roaring violence equal to 15,000 tons of TNT. 3,100 participating military officers and men crouched some 5,000 yards from the churning mass of heat and flame that surrounded the core of the atomic fireball. The event was a milestone in military . . . — Map (db m60886) HM|
|Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Apache Indian Cemeteries Fort Sill, Oklahoma|
|The roll call of chiefs, warriors, army scouts and families buried here include the most famous names in Apache history: Geronimo, whose daring band performed deeds unmatched since the days of Captain Kidd; Chief Loco of the Warm Springs who stood for peace; Chief Nana, the original desert fox; Chief Chihuahua of the Chiricahuas; and sons and grandsons of Mangus Colorados, Victorio, Cochise, Naiche and Juh and of such noted scouts as Kaahteney, Chatto, Kayitah and Martine. Here also lie 12 of . . . — Map (db m62167) HM|
|Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Apache Prisoner-of-War Cemeteries Fort Sill, Oklahoma|
|Here beneath Oklahoma skies far from their native haunts in Arizona, New Mexico and northern Mexico is the resting place for more than 300 Apaches of the Chiricahua, Warm Springs, and Nedni tribes. During and after the Geronimo campaign of 1886 these people—hostiles, friendlies, and scouts alike—were sent as prisoners-of-war to Florida, then to Alabama.
In 1894 they were brought to Fort Sill where they remained for the next 19 years. Living in 12 villages, with many of their . . . — Map (db m62166) HM|
|Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Fort Sill|
|Fort Sill was named by General Orders No. 25, HQ, Department of the Missouri, U.S. Army, on July 2, 1869. The post's name honors the memory of Brigadier General Joshua W. Sill, killed at the Battle of Stone River, Tennessee, in December, 1862. Previously referred to as "Camp on Medicine Bluff Creek" or "Camp Wichita," this frontier post was established in Indian Territory to pacify and protect Indian tribes of the Southern Great Plains. By 1901, Indian reservations in the vicinity of Fort Sill . . . — Map (db m44709) HM|
|Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Infantry Barracks|
| This building was originally constructed in 1870 to serve as the commissary storehouse. It is unique among all the historic buildings, having started as a horizontal, log structure resting on a stone foundation over 200 feet in length. By 1872, the increasing numbers of Infantry on post needed additional space, and a new commissary was erected southeast of the quadrangle, freeing this facility for use as a barracks.
Subsequent remodeling saw the replacement of the log walls with more . . . — Map (db m60884) HM|
|Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Post Chapel|
|The "Old" Post Chapel was constructed in 1875 by elements of the 11th Infantry and the 4th Cavalry under the command of General Ranald S. McKenzie. The sum of $2,500 was appropriated for the purchase of materials for the erection of a chapel & school house.
Built of native limestone and local timbers, this little outpost of Christianity was the first structure of the post visible to weary travelers coming in by stage from the distant settlements in the eastern states.
Captain Jeremiah . . . — Map (db m47147) HM|
|Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Post Headquarters|
| Erected in 1870, and built of limestone quarried from a nearby hill, the Post Headquarters building housed the administrative offices. The Commanding Officer, his executive officer, the adjutant, a sergeant and a signal officer worked here. The adjutant had the authority to execute an order if the Commanding Officer was absent. One of the rooms was used for the Post Library to hold the few periodicals and books that might be shipped from back East. After close of business hours, the Guardhouse . . . — Map (db m60883) HM|
|Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Satank Killed|
| The noted Kiowa chief Sitting Bear (Satank) of the Society of the Ten Bravest was killed beside an elm tree 400 feet due west of here on June 8, 1871, while attacking 4th Cavalry guards. — Map (db m60882) HM|
|Oklahoma (Comanche County), Lawton — Comanche Reformed Church|
| This bell was especially cast for the Comanche Reformed Church when the church was completed in 1905. The bell was used during the ministries of Reverend L.L. Legters, first missionary, and his successors, Reverends H. Sluyter, J. Dykema, R.H. Harper, J.L. Read, and R.P. Chaat.
Reverend Robert Chaat of the Comanche Indian Tribe began his ministry of the Comanche Reformed Church in 1925, and devotedly served his people in this capacity throughout the year 1970. During his long tenure the . . . — Map (db m60885) HM|
|Oklahoma (Craig County), Big Cabin — Confederate Soldiers Battle of Cabin Creek, Sept. 19, 1864|
|(Front):To honor The Confederate Soldiers of the Battle of Cabin Creek Sept. 19, 1864 Erected by Okla. Division Daughters of the Confederacy June 1961
(Back): Battle of Cabin Creek Sept. 19, 1864 Confederate Forces --
Brig. Gen. Stand Watie - First Indian Brigade
Brig. Gen. Richard M. Gano - Texas Cavalry Brigade
Part of Howell's Battery.
Federal Forces --
Captain Henry Hopkins - 2nd Kansas Cavalry
Detachments of 6th and 14th Kansas Cavalry
2nd and 3rd Indian . . . — Map (db m52268) HM|
|Oklahoma (Craig County), Big Cabin — First Kansas Colored Volunteer Infantry 79th U.S.C.T. First Battle of Cabin Creek, 1863|
|The First Kansas Colored Volunteer Infantry was the first Black unit to engage in battle in the Civil War. On July 2, 1863, while escorting a wagon train bound for Fort Gibson, the First Kansas Colored was attacked here by Stand Watie's Confederates where the Texas Road crossed Cabin Creek. After a Union artillery barrage the First Kansas Colored, supported by the 3rd Indian Home Guard, forded waist deep Cabin Creek under heavy small arms fire. Emerging with bayonets fixed, the First Kansas . . . — Map (db m52266) HM|
|Oklahoma (Craig County), Vinita — A-12 — Grand River Dam Will Rogers Memorial Highway|
|14 miles S-E, is Langley the site of the Grand River Dam Lake, covering 45,000 acres, with a shore line of 1100 miles, costing more than $20,000,000.00. The largest multiple type arch dam on earth. It was constructed as an electric and flood control project. Excellent fishing, boating, recreation and scenic facilities are open to the public. — Map (db m55647) HM|
|Oklahoma (Craig County), Vinita — Worcester Academy A Congregational Mission School|
|Established at Vinita
Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory
by the Rev. J. W. Scroggs, D.D.
Dedicated Jan. 14, 1883
Named in honor of the
Rev. Samuel A. Worcester, D.D.
Missionary among the Cherokees — Map (db m55648) HM|
|Oklahoma (Creek County), Bristow — 1st Lt Robert F. Trigalet, USMC|
This 75mm Howitzer is a memorial to
1st Lt. Robert F. Trigalet, U.S.M.C.
The first Marine from Bristow who gave
his life for God and Country in the
Vietnam Conflict. (Died May 2, 1969) — Map (db m41919) HM|
|Oklahoma (Creek County), Bristow — 45th Infantry (Thunderbird) Division|
This M114 Armored Command Carrier is
dedicated to Oklahoma's 45th Infantry
(Thunderbird) Division that had in
World War II 511 Combat Days,
In the Korean War 429 Combat Days,
4 Campaigns — Map (db m41925) HM|
|Oklahoma (Creek County), Bristow — AMM1 Clifford Murl Satterfield, US Navy|
| This 3 Inch 50mm Deck Gun is
dedicated to Clifford Murl Satterfield
Aviation [Machinist's] Mate First Class
U.S. Navy, Killed in Action
off the U.S.S. Enterprise. South Pacific
April 29, 1944 — Map (db m41922) HM|
|Oklahoma (Creek County), Bristow — Bristow Concrete Walk|
| In 1895 a concrete walk was installed by the City of Bristow across Main Street at 7th Street. The sloping sides allow the wagons to cross the walk. When Main Street was paved in 1915 the walk was removed. Both the installation and removal were done by Clay Chapman, a local teamster. This portion of the original cross walk was donated by the Chapman heirs.
Installed Nov. 1, 1980 — Map (db m41941) HM|
|Oklahoma (Creek County), Bristow — Bristow Pioneers Plaza|
| [There are several dozen family histories on permanent markers on the plaza. One marker is transcribed, while the names on the other markers are listed for future reference]
The Abrahams [on Panel 1]
Only a little inquiry is needed to establish the fact that Joe Abraham was one of the first and foremost in the early commercial and cultural development of Bristow. Born March 20, 1865, he came to America in 1896 from his native Beirut, Syria (now Lebanon), arriving in New York . . . — Map (db m41953) HM|
|Oklahoma (Creek County), Bristow — Cpl Larry E. Caldwell, US Army|
VFW Post 3656 dedicates this
U.S. Army Corporal Missile
in memory of
Cpl. Larry E. Caldwell
Killed In Action
Mar. 19, 1970 in Tam Ky Vietnam — Map (db m41933) HM|
|Oklahoma (Creek County), Bristow — Cpl Peter W. Klingensmith|
Bristow V.F.W. Post 3656
dedicates this WWI French 75mm Cannon
to Cpl. Peter W. Klingensmith.
First Bristow man killed in action in WWI
and all other Doughboys who served
their country. — Map (db m41923) HM|
|Oklahoma (Creek County), Bristow — Ex-Prisoners of War and Those Missing In Action|
| Dedicated to All Ex-Prisoners
of War and Those
Missing In Action — Map (db m41920) HM|
|Oklahoma (Creek County), Bristow — Major Quince L. Brown, USAAF|
This U.S. Air Force propeller
is dedicated to
Major Quince L. Brown,
the 78th Fighter Group's
Top Ace of WWII (3-time Ace)
First pilot to strafe with a
P-47 (named Okie), he was
killed in action - Sept. 6, 1944 — Map (db m41934) HM|
|Oklahoma (Creek County), Bristow — SFC Donald J. Hurt, US Army|
Bristow VFW Post 3565 dedicates
this 81mm Mortar to
Sgt.1C Donald J. Hurt,
from Bristow, Co. G, 2nd Bn
279th Inf, 45th Div. U.S. Army,
who was killed in action in the
Korean War April 10, 1952 — Map (db m41924) HM|
|Oklahoma (Creek County), Bristow — United States Navy Memorial|
| This hatchcover from the WWII submarine USS Batfish SS 310 is dedicated to the men of the U.S. Navy who have given their lives in defense of their country. — Map (db m41918) HM|
|Oklahoma (Creek County), Bristow — USS Gunboat Charleston (PG 51)|
This WWII Twin 40mm Anti Aircraft
Gun was part of the armament on
the USS Gunboat Charleston
PG 51 that in the Attu Operation
shot down one Mitsubishi 97
Jap bomber and sent
three away smoking May 22, 1943 — Map (db m41921) HM|
|Oklahoma (Creek County), Bristow — VFW Post 3565 War Memorial They Gave All For Their Country|
| The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #3656 and the Ladies Auxiliary of Bristow, Oklahoma, honor the men who served in the Spanish American War, World War I, World War II, Korea, and Vietnam, and especially the men listed below who made the supreme sacrifice in giving their lives for their country.
[Honor Roll of Names - see photos]
Dedicated Nov. 11, 1981 — Map (db m41937) HM|
|Oklahoma (Creek County), Bristow — VFW Post 3656 Charter|
| By the authority of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States be it known that Comrades
[Charter Members - see photos]
having served honorably in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Air Force of the United States of America in foreign wars of the United States of America, are hereby authorized to organize and are constituted a post in the city of Bristow in the state of Oklahoma to be known as Bristow Post No. 3656, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States. In witness whereof . . . — Map (db m41939) HM|
|Oklahoma (Creek County), Depew — Depew Community Veterans Memorial "We Remember" Duty Honor Country|
Dedicated to those who
served their country
from a grateful
[Killed in Action]
Bobby Anderson Toby Anderson
T. C. Bowles Thomas Bouleware
Walter Bryden Larry Caldwell
Ralph Corey Stanley Cox
Joe Donaldson Kenneth Graham
Russell Inman Nelson Matlock
Wallace Miller Ardele Newman
Leon Pond Glenn Rawdon
Jack Smith Bud Turnbull
George Vincent, Jr. Rex Werrell
[See Photos for Veterans Honor Roll] — Map (db m41890) HM|
|Oklahoma (Creek County), Sapulpa — Earle Berryhill Building|
| Headright oil income of Earle, Creek Roll No. NB988 (a minor), utilized as an investment for him by his father Theodore, Cr. No. 2519 (son of George W.), built this building, completed in 1909.
American National Bank, Ground Floor
Graham & Welch Clothing Store, Ground Floor
Uden Book Store, Ground Floor
Joe Bruner, Second Floor
John Ellinghausen, Second Floor
Tom Wallace, Second Floor
Sapulpa Refinery, Second Floor
Lloyd Anderson Agency, Third Floor . . . — Map (db m41978) HM|
|Oklahoma (Custer County), Clinton — U.S. 66 Will Rogers Highway|
|The Oklahoma Route 66 Museum opened on September 23, 1995. The museum is operated by the Oklahoma Historical Society, and focuses on the history of Route 66.
The redevelopment of the museum was funded with federal, state, and private funds, with the citizens of Clinton, Oklahoma contributing over $200,000.
Will Rogers and Route 66 are symbols of American optimism. They have become internationally known, sharing Oklahoma with the world.
"We are here just for a spell and then pass . . . — Map (db m52019) HM|
|Oklahoma (Delaware County), Bernice — Rolston Memorial|
|Louis Rolston Jr., the cemetery's namesake, a Cherokee Indian, was born in Georgia September 10, 1838. He enlisted in the Federal Army in 1862 and served under Col. John D. Allen in Company K. of the 16th Regiment. He participated in the Battles of Pine Ridge and Springfield.
Several years after the war he migrated to what is now Monkey Island, then Needmore, Indian Territory. He deeded 2 acres for a "Grave Yard" and 1 acre for a School from his Cherokee Land Allotment. Two graves were on . . . — Map (db m21239) HM|
|Oklahoma (Delaware County), Near Dodge — Stand Watie Degataga Oo-Watee|
|Stand Watie was only American Indian to attain rank of Brigadier General during Civil War and was last Confederate General to surrender. Born in Georgia, December 12, 1806. He spoke only the Cherokee language until he was twelve years of age.
When the federal government began urging Cherokees to move from Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina to a home west of the Mississippi, Staned Watie was one of those who believed it best for Cherokees to make such a move. As signer of the treaty of New . . . — Map (db m25557) HM|
|Oklahoma (Dewey County), Leedey — California Road First Crossed Here 1849|
|Near here on May 28, 1849, was the camp of a large party of gold seekers en route to California with a military escort under the command of Captain R B Marcy. The California Road was used by travelers for over 50 years. East of here about 4 miles are traces of the Western Cattle Trail to Dodge City, Kansas. — Map (db m39802) HM|
|Oklahoma (Dewey County), Seiling — Amos Chapman|
|Famous Civilian Indian Scout for the U.S. Army, was born in 1839 and died in 1925. He was one of the five survivors of the 1874 Buffalo Wallow Fight, and was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his efforts. Chapman married a Cheyenne woman named Mary Longneck, the daughter of Chief Stone. — Map (db m62310) HM|
|Oklahoma (Garfield County), Bison — Buffalo Springs On the Old Chisholm Trail. 1/3 mi West|
|From this noted watering place came the name of "Bison," 1 mi. so., "Buffalo Springs" was the camp site of Pat Hennessey and his men just before they were massacred, 7 mi. so., July 4, 1874. Next day, a war band of Indians was stood off by ranchmen at the Springs. Crowds here made the Oklahoma "Run," April 22, 1889. — Map (db m39801) HM|
|Oklahoma (Garfield County), Bison — Run of '89 North Boundary|
|At the opening of "Old Oklahoma", April 22, 1889, this was the north line for the Run starting at 12 o'clock noon. Prairies and hills in the 2,000,000 acre tract, south, were peopled by tens of thousands, homes were planted and tent cities sprang up before nightfall. — Map (db m39796) HM|
|Oklahoma (Garfield County), Enid — Government Springs|
A Camping Place
Old Chisholm Trail
Before and After 1865
Through the path finders die
the paths remain open
— Map (db m55716) HM|
|Oklahoma (Garfield County), Enid — The Chisholm Trail 1865 – 1893|
|Here passed the Old Cattle Trail, blazed by Jesse Chisholm, which finally stretched for eight hundred miles from San Antonio, Texas to Abilene, Kansas over which cowboys from the pasture-lands of the great southwest drove their herds to the railroads. Many tales of adventure will perhaps remain untold with the passing of those who traveled the trail. To them this Memorial is Dedicated, in the Year 1945. — Map (db m55715) HM|
|Oklahoma (Garfield County), Enid — The Missouri Compromise (36° 30' North Latitude)|
|This marker sits on the Missouri Compromise line which by an Act of Congress on March 6, 1820, enabled Missouri to be admitted to the Union as a Slave State. But, the Act forbade slavery in the rest of the Louisiana Purchase North of the 36° 30" North Latitude. The proposal marked the first great debate over the Territorial Expansion of slavery.
The Kansas-Nebraska Act of May 30, 1854, repealed section #8 of the Missouri Compromise, which was the most important provision and created the . . . — Map (db m55714) HM|
|Oklahoma (Greer County), Willow — 219 — First Shelterbelt in the United States|
|During the 1930s severe drought plagued the states in the great plains and deepened the depression. High winds caused dust storms which blackened the sky. In 1934, President Franklin Roosevelt initiated a program to help stabilize the blowing soil and put people to work. His prairie states forestry project envisioned planting wide belts of trees from North Dakota to Texas to protect cropland and reduce damage to the environment. The Nation's first shelterbelt was planted on the H.E. Curtis farm . . . — Map (db m39805) HM|
|Oklahoma (Haskell County), Stigler — 69 — Battle of the J.R. Williams|
|Site of Civil War naval battle. Confederate Indian forces led by Brig. Gen. Stand Watie, forced aground and captured Union Steamboat J.R. Williams with cargo worth $120,000, on June 15, 1864. Southern troops included Choctaws, Chickasaws, Creeks and Seminoles. — Map (db m64073) HM|
|Oklahoma (Hughes County), Holdenville — Fort Holmes In immediate vicinity|
|Est., 1834, by Lieut. T.H. Holmes, later Lt. Gen., C.S.A. This post was visited~June, 1834~by Gen. Henry Leavenworth on his expedition to the Plains tribes. Edwards' Store, site 1 mile west of here, was the last trading post until Santa Fe on the California Trail, for emigrants in the Gold Rush. Jesse Chisholm was a partner in this store, 1836. — Map (db m64074) HM|
|Oklahoma (Jefferson County), Ryan — Sunnyside High School|
1990 — Map (db m57578) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Chilocco Indian School — Cherokee Strip|
September 11, 1893
Thousands of Americans gathered in this township preparing to make the run for homesteads in the Cherokee Strip, a tract of land 58 miles wide, opening 6,500,000 acres for White settlement bought from the Cherokee Nation by the U.S. Government for $8,300,000. President Grover Cleveland and Secretary of the Interior Hoke Smith arranged to have 9 canvas booths placed within 100 ft. of the Kansas State Line where each eager American must make 7 affidavits and . . . — Map (db m60480) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Chilocco Indian School — 32 — Chilocco Indian School|
Academic, agricultural, vocational training for Indian youth from over U.S. Established by Act of Cong. 1882. Jasper M. Hadley 1st Superintendent. Handsome buildings of stone erected, and first pupils - Kiowa, Comanche children - entered Jan. 1884. First graduating class was in 1894. — Map (db m60484) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Chilocco Indian School — 34 — Oklahoma, The Indian State|
| Land in this area was granted to Cherokee Indians by U.S., 1828. Opened to White settlement, 1893. Kaw Indian Tribal Reservation, 5 miles east. There was located land allotment of Hon. Charles Curtis, Kaw Indian, Vice President of U.S., 1928-32. — Map (db m60482) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Chilocco Indian School — The Cherokee Strip|
The Cherokee Strip
September 16, 1893 — Map (db m60481) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Newkirk — African-Americans|
From the beginning, African-Americans settled and lived in Newkirk -- although this was not true in most of the towns in Kay County. They settled primarily on the east side of town, building their own community which included churches, restaurants, schools and stores. The Mount Olive Baptist Church was organized in 1894 with Albert Jones as minister. At a later date the African Methodist Episcopal Church was also organized.
The first Black school was opened in the French Restaurant with . . . — Map (db m60443) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Newkirk — Cherokee Allotments|
Newkirk owes its existence not simply to the opening of the Cherokee Outlet to homesteaders, but to the twenty-one allotments taken by the Cherokees in Kay County prior to the opening. The Outlet comprised eight million acres of prairie which was part of the agreement made when the Cherokees gave up their homelands and moved to Oklahoma.
This area was to be their outlet to the west. The Cherokees made several attempts to colonize the Outlet and were forcibly removed by the government. . . . — Map (db m60457) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Newkirk — Fire of 1901|
The entire east side of the 100 block of North Main burned to the ground November 15, 1901. Some of the citizens (obviously not the ones whose businesses were destroyed) thought this was a blessing in disguise. The block consisted of frame buildings in poor condition.
The fire started three doors from the south end of the block in the second floor of Ward Brothers Restaurant at 4:00 p.m. Most of the businesses were lighted by gasoline lamps. Frank Jennison was in charge of cleaning the . . . — Map (db m60460) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Newkirk — First National Bank|
This Roman Classic structure with a corner recessed entry and simple columns was built in 1899. The building was originally known as the Dilday building and is constructed with native limestone secured a few miles east of Newkirk. John Pierce had the stonework contract. The real estate offices of J.H. Strain and the Farmer's State Bank were both housed in this building in October of 1899.
The First National Bank with Porter Willis Smith as President purchased the building in 1903, . . . — Map (db m60456) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Newkirk — Kay County Abstract Building|
Dick Sherbon of Ponca City received the bid to erect this building for the Kay County Abstract Company in 1926. The bids for the building ranged from $4,400 to $5,700.
This red brick structure was limited to one story because of the Masonic Temple to the south. The windows of the lodge rooms for the Temple were not to be blocked by a two story building. A decorative green facade at the top of the building resembles clay tile to give the building a Spanish flair.
Kay County Federal . . . — Map (db m60479) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Newkirk — Kay County War Memorial|
"...that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
We Are Young. We Have Died.
Whether our lives and our deaths were for peace and a new . . . — Map (db m60450) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Newkirk — Land of Hope 1893 1994|
This statue, "Land of Hope," depicts the courageous pioneers who staked their land claim in the "Land Run of the Cherokee Outlet" in 1893. This was created by sculptor, Bernadette Hess Carman, a native daughter, who generously donated her time and talent to sculpt this piece for the heirs of these brave ancestors.
Dedication - Sept. 17, 1994 — Map (db m60449) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Newkirk — Newkirk|
Newkirk was originally platted as the townsite of Lamoreux by the United States Land Office in 1893 as the county seat of "K" county. It was named after Silas W. Lamoreaux who was the head of the General Land Office in Washington, D.C., at the time.
However, the citizens who made the historic run of September 16, 1893 and settled this community did not care for the name. They immediately held a town meeting and the name was changed to Santa Fe with the hopes of enticing the railroad to . . . — Map (db m60455) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Newkirk — Newkirk Kay County Fair|
The Newkirk Kay County Fair was organized in 1896. Five dollar shares were sold in order to purchase property for the facilities, build a race track, grand stands and sheds. The share also gave free admittance to all shows and fairs for three years. By 1905 the fair was in full swing. A new barn, 320 feet long containing eighty stalls, had been built along with grand stands that seated 600 people. The fair lasted five days with a schedule that included stock racing, automobile racing, a . . . — Map (db m60459) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Newkirk — Oklahoma State Centennial 1907 - 2007|
A centennial tribute to the people who shared this land at the turn-of-the-century, and who still call it home today. They faced opportunties and obstacles together and were woven together in time. The spirit that fueled the dream then, and the determination that keeps it alive today has not changed. We are a people of varied cultures hoping to create a better life and shared rewards. — Map (db m60458) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Newkirk — The Cline Building|
William S. Cline had this building constructed in 1925. This was the same year that the Kay County Courthouse and the Masonic Temple were constructed in Newkirk. The Cline Building is illustrative of the influence of the Art Deco style. Mosaic tiles are used for the street level facade and entry. The building has a polychromatic appearance by the use of red brick separating the stories and red brick trim outlining the shape of the structure both horizontally and vertically. The use of . . . — Map (db m60478) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Ponca City — E. W. Marland 1874 – 1941|
|Pioneer Oil Developer
Philanthropist & Humanitarian
Leader in Developing the Economy
Culture and Beauty of Ponca City
Donor of Pioneer Woman Statue
Governor of Oklahoma
United States Congressman — Map (db m55712) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Ponca City — Lewis Haines (Lew) Wentz (1872-1949)|
Wentz Municipal Golf Course
Ponca City, Oklahoma
The Society For Crippled Children
University of Oklahoma Student Loan Fund
Oklahoma State University Student Loan Fund
'He Always Gave' — Map (db m55711) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Ponca City — Ponca City Library|
|Ponca City had been in existence for 11 years. She had schools, churches and even an opera house, but not a library. A group of women from the Twentieth Century Club decided to remedy this and convinced H.C.R. Brodboll to house a small “book exchange” club in the back room of his insurance office. The year was 1904 and the library exchange had 50 books. Eventually the club collected 500 volumes and it was evident a larger library building was needed.
The Twentieth Century Club . . . — Map (db m55710) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Tonkawa — Camp Tonkawa|
Site of German Prisoner of War Camp known as Camp Tonkawa – World War II – Jan. 1943 – Sept 1945
See other side for story
Between October and December 1942 more than 900 construction workers labored 24 hours a day to build Camp Tonkawa on the quarter section immediately north of this marker. SE1/4 Sec 28-26n-1w. The 160 acre site contained more than 180 wooden structures for 3,000 German P.O.W.s as well as 500 U.S. Army guard troops, . . . — Map (db m55713) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Tonkawa — Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce|
"Hear me my Chiefs, I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."
With these words, Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce surrendered to Colonel Nelson A. Miles of the United States Army and thus began an eight-year exile of these people from their homeland in Idaho. Refusing to be herded onto a reservation, the Nez Perce, described by Miles as "a very bright and energetic body of Indians, indeed, the most intelligent that I had ever seen," . . . — Map (db m60427) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kay County), Tonkawa — Site of German Prisoner of War Camp Known as Camp Tonkawa World War II Jan. 1943 - Sept. 1945|
Legend [and POW Camp diagram]
See other side for story
Between October and December 1942 more than 900 construction workers labored 24 hours a day to build Camp Tonkawa on the quarter section immediately north of this marker SEΌ Sec 28-26N-1W. The 160 acre site contained more than 180 wooden structures for 3,000 German P.O.W.s as well as 500 U.S. Army guard troops, service personnel, and civilian employees. Activated in January 1943 the post received its first . . . — Map (db m60426) HM|
|Oklahoma (Kingfisher County), Kingfisher — Kingfisher|
|This was the U.S. Land Office site for filing claims at opening of "Old Oklahoma," April 22, 1889; also at opening of Cheyenne and Arapaho lands on April 19, 1892. J. C. Roberts was first Register, and J. V. Admire, first Receiver. First postoffice, Lisbon, established April 20, 1889: name changed to Kingfisher, July 18, 1889. — Map (db m29318) HM|
|Oklahoma (Latimer County), Wilburton — 189 — Bernard de la Harpe 1719|
|This French Explorer, seeking trade with the Wichita Indians, came north from Louisiana, on August 25, 1719, he camped three miles east of Hartshorne and the next day, following Gains Creek, passed here on his way to the Canadian River and the Wichita Villages to the north. — Map (db m29928) HM|
|Oklahoma (Le Flore County), Spiro — Skullyville|
|Skullyville was founded in 1832 while removal of Choctaws to what is now Oklahoma was in process. First Choctaw Agency in the West was established here with Major F.W. Armstrong as agent.
The name Skullyville was derived from Choctaw word “Iskuli” meaning a piece of money. It was here Choctaws received annuity payments hence referred to the place as “Money Town” or Skullyville.
There were three districts in the Choctaw Nation with Skullyville being the capitol . . . — Map (db m64486) HM|
|Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Chandler — Chandler Brick Paving|
| Built 1910 - 1911
Mayors J. A. McLaughlin,
H. C. McGoughy and A. B. Oleson
Street Commissioners: H. C. Tuttle 1910,
and D. D. Landsaw 1911
Dedicated Historical Site
October 1978 — Map (db m41780) HM|
|Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Chandler — Crane Motor Company The Ford Agency Built 1917|
| This property has been
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m41760) HM|
|Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Chandler — Flynt Building 1902|
| This property
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m41757) HM|
|Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Chandler — Lincoln County War Memorial In Memoriam|
| [County Roll of Honored War Dead - see photos] — Map (db m41769) WM|
|Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Chandler — Oleson-Crane Building 1901|
| This building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the Department of the Interior. In 1989 it was purchased and presented to the Lincoln County Historical Society and the Museum of Pioneer History by:
Ola Armstrong Lorraine T. Berry
Wanda Burt Eula Mae Cross
Donald F. & Sally Ferrell
David Hellman Mrs. Victor Hellman
Mrs. Roy Hoffman, Jr.
Paul & Lola Mae Martin
Dr. & Mrs. Dee Pennington
A. Freeman & Allie May Smith
Jeanne Hoffman Smith
Dr. & . . . — Map (db m41752) HM|
|Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Chandler — Phillips 66 Filling Station|
In memory of
W. L. (Bill) Cheatham
who operated a filling station
on Route 66 at Warwick, Oklahoma
from 1926 until 1978 — Map (db m41801) HM|
|Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Chandler — Wolcott Building 1903|
| This property has been
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m41754) HM|
|Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Davenport — Davenport / Davenport Post Office|
Established Immediately After
Sept. 22, 1891 Land Run
Rural Trading Crossroads and
Stagecoach Stop 4 Miles
South of Present Location
Davenport Post Office
Established March 29, 1892
Nettie Davenport, First Postmaster
Town Moved to Present Location
On Railroad in 1898 — Map (db m41777) HM|
|Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Davenport — Davenport's Historic Broadway Avenue|
| Paved in 1925 with bricks
manufactured at the
Davenport Brick & Tile Corp.
Financed with Paving District Bonds
Davenport Brick Plant in Operation
1911 - 1929 — Map (db m41779) HM|
|Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Stroud — Murrah Federal Building Bombing Oklahoma Remembers!|
The Redbud is the state tree of Oklahoma. The Redbud trees located here and at other locations along the Turnpike have been placed in memory of the innocent victims of the April 19, 1995, bombing of the Murrah Building in Oklahoma City.
[Roll of Victims] — Map (db m59945) HM|
|Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Stroud — Rock Cafe Route 66 Roadside Attraction|
| National Register of Historic Places, established in 1939. Built with rock unearthed during the paving of Route 66. — Map (db m41862) HM|
|Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Stroud — Sac & Fox Agency 4 mi. South|
| Established 1869 on reservation of Sac and Fox Indians who were moved here from Kansas. Reservation land allotted tribal members and surplus opened to White settlement in 1891. Noted members of the tribe include Chief Moses Keokuk, Dr. William Jones, anthropologist, and Jim Thorpe, internationally known athlete. — Map (db m41860) HM|
|Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Stroud — Stroud Area Veterans Monument|
| "In the shadow of liberty there are many benefits and freedoms for us all. But, they are protected at a cost of great personal tragedy."
In Honor of Those Who
Served the United States of
America in War and Peace.
Since the first men left the Stroud area in 1898 to defend their country, until the present day, our people have been proud of the 1300 young men and women who have served in the Armed Forces. This land is a better place because of the sacrifices they made.
"Not in Vain" . . . — Map (db m41885) HM|
|Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Stroud — Trooper Kenneth "Kenny" Osborn July 7, 1947 - July 13, 1978 In Memory Of|
Oklahoma Highway Patrol
Trooper Osborn was killed on July 13, 1978 after stopping to investigate an abandoned vehicle on the Turner Turnpike. He was struck and killed by an out-of-control semi-trailer rig loaded with steel. — Map (db m59940) HM|
|Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Stroud — Trooper Larry Crabtree Dec. 3, 1943 - Apr. 4, 1977 In Memory Of|
Oklahoma Highway Patrol
Trooper Crabtee was killed on April 4, 1977 by a single shotgun blast fired by a sixteen year-old driver at Mile Fifty Eight. Trooper Crabtee had stopped the driver for illegally entering the Turner Turnpike. — Map (db m59942) HM|
|Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Stroud — Turner Turnpike|
December 20, 1950
Opened to Traffic
May 16, 1953 — Map (db m59943) HM|
|Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Stroud — William Alfred Mensch Building 1922 Historic US Route 66|
| has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m41792) HM|
|Oklahoma (Logan County), Guthrie — Smiths 2-Story Privy|
|Winfield S. Smith, Guthrie City Councilman and builder of many early commercial buildings, granted by deed on July 28, 1899 to Nathanial McKay the right to build a two-story 8x10 feet brick privy on his property (Lot 23) with right of access to occupants of that lot as well as lots 24 and 25. McKay, a transplanted easterner who became a Guthrie developer, was charged with keeping the privy maintained and in good repair when he purchased the lot and its “Triumph Building.” Tenants of . . . — Map (db m3414) HM|
|Oklahoma (Love County), Orr — Orr Community Veterans Memorial|
Dedicated to the men and women of the Orr community who served our country in times of peace and war
Monument donated by William (Sonny) Roberts
Orr veterans resting other places — Map (db m57441) HM|
|Oklahoma (Major County), Fairview — Glass Mountains or Gloss Mountains|
|In February 1873 the name Glass Mountains appeared on a map issued by the Federal General Land Office. Two years later the same office issued another map calling them the Gloss Mountains. Thus precipitating a conflict that continues to this day.
The 1875 map resulted from a survey led by an engineer named T.H. Barrett. Historiographer James Cloud is of the opinion that a draftsman copied this map and misread the “A” for an “O”. A persistent legend exists that a . . . — Map (db m55717) HM|
|Oklahoma (Mayes County), Ketchum — 151-1995 — Old Military Road|
|Crossed here: Ft. Gibson (Est. 1824) to Ft. Leavenworth. Two Cabin Creek battles in Civil War fought at old ford 5 mi.; S.W. Ketchum is east 1.5 mi. The first store, 1860, and a stage stand were at Old Sulphur Springs campground near here, N.E. Oklahoma Historical Society and State Highway Commission, 1954 — Map (db m52553) HM|
|Oklahoma (Mayes County), Locust Grove — 160 — Battle of Locust Grove|
|Federal troops suddenly attacked a Confederate camp along the ridge near here at dawn, July 2, 1862. The surprised Confederates hardly returned fire before their officers and heavy supplies were captured. Yet hot fighting in the woods lasted all day. — Map (db m52269) HM|
|Oklahoma (Mayes County), Salina — 158 — Chouteau's Post|
|Oldest permanent American settlement in the state. Grew out of Chouteau's fur trade at St. Louis, with Osages after they settled this region in 1802 from Missouri. Improvements here in 1817 became residence of Col. A.P. Chouteau, West Point grad. Noted in western U.S. Official life and for many posts in Indian trade. — Map (db m64481) HM|
|Oklahoma (McCurtain County), Broken Bow — 203 — Military Road - Choctaw Trail of Tears|
|Cut from Washington, Ark., to Fort Towson in 1831 for removal of Choctaws from Miss., became known is Choctaw Trail of Tears after thousands of suffering Indians used it to reach new lands. Road served as major east-west artery for Choctaw Nation until early 1900s. Imported early Choctaw settlements on road were Harris Mill, Eagletown, Lukfata, Wheelock and Clear Creek. Segments of road still identifiable still visible. — Map (db m24398) HM|
|Oklahoma (McCurtain County), Idabel — 200 — Garland Cemetery|
|Small cemetery nearby contains graves of Choctaw chief Samuel Garland (1862 – 64) and family members including his mother-in-law, Sophie Pitchlynn. Peter Pitchlynn, son of Sophie and John Pitchlynn, was chief 1864 -- 66. Garland migrated from Mississippi during Choctaw removal in 1830s, opened and operated large plantation in vicinity with black slave labor. Cemetery is the only remaining evidence of Garland occupation. Headstone of Sophie Pitchlynn bears birthdate of December 27, 1773, believed to be earliest in Oklahoma. — Map (db m24400) HM|
|Oklahoma (McCurtain County), Valliant — 196 — Clear Creek Water Mill|
|Water powered grist mill in operation on clear creek early as 1819 by white settlers in old Miller County, Arkansas Territory. New mill built in 1837 by Choctaw Joel Kemp. A later owner, Choctaw John Wilson, replaced crude undershot wheel with turbine-type which also powered cotton gin. John Prince acquired mill site in 1909, updated machinery and replaced log dam with concrete, drilled two artesian wells and supplied water to town of Valliant for many years. Adjacent swimming pool was a . . . — Map (db m24401) HM|
|Oklahoma (McCurtain County), Valliant — 198 — Elliott Academy|
|Established here in 1869 as Oak Hill Industrial Academy by Presbyterian Board of Missions as boarding school for children of Choctaw Freedmen. Academy succeeded small school begun in 1860 by ex-slave and Presbyterian Minister Charles W. Stewart to serve numerous black families who had settled here after Civil War. Name changed in 1912 after David Elliott gave funds for new dormitory in memory of his wife, Alice Lee. Students cleared and operated large farm to help support school. Hundreds of students trained at academy before closer in 1936. — Map (db m24403) HM|
|Oklahoma (McIntosh County), Checotah — 1st Regiment Kansas Colored Volunteers, 1863 - 1865|
|On July 17, 1863, at the Battle of Honey Springs, the 1st Kansas Colored Volunteers wrote a stirring page in American history, becoming one of the first Black units of the Civil War to play a key role in a Union victory as Major General James G. Blunt, the Union commander at Honey Springs, reported: "The First Kansas (Colored) particularly distinguished itself. They fought like veterans, and preserved their line unbroken throughout the engagement. Their coolness and bravery I have never seen . . . — Map (db m4197) HM|
|Oklahoma (McIntosh County), Eufaula — Green Corn Dance|
|The greatest ceremonial rite of Creek Indians was Green Corn Dance. It was held at time of year when before corn had fully matured and while grains were soft. Dance was celebration of harvest season and was of intense religious devotion.
In preparation for festival old fires were extinguished and new ones lighted from old fire embers. Main fire was placed in center of square area. Around this central fire men, women, and children, dressed in colorful costumes, danced, chanted, and sang. . . . — Map (db m64184) HM|
|Oklahoma (McIntosh County), Rentiesville — Confederate Soldiers Honey Springs July 17, 1863|
|"Lord God of Hosts be with us yet lest we forget, lest we forget" This commemorative marker is respectfully dedicated to honor the brave soldiers of the Confederate States of America who gallantly fought and died here on July 17, 1863. The Battle of Honey Springs, largest and most important engagement in the Indian Territory during the War Between the States, ensued when Confederate forces, comprising primarily of Texas and Indian troops, under the command of Brigadier General Douglas H. . . . — Map (db m52289) HM|
|Oklahoma (McIntosh County), Rentiesville — Five Civilized Tribes in the Battle of Honey Springs|
|Order Of Battle (Indian Units)
First Indian Home Guard (Cherokee)
Second Indian Home Guard (Cherokee)
First Choctaw Regiment
Second Choctaw Regiment
First Chickasaw and Choctaw Regiment
First Creek Regiment
Second Creek Regiment
Seminole Battalion — Map (db m52286) HM|
|Oklahoma (McIntosh County), Rentiesville — Union Soldiers Honey Springs July 17, 1863|
|"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have fallen in vain" This commemorative marker is is dedicated to the memory of the Union soldiers who bravely fought and died here on July 17, 1863. Major General James G. Blunt began moving 3000 Union troops south on the Texas Road on July 15 to prevent a Confederate attack on Fort Gibson. The Battle of Honey Springs took place north of the depot where 5000 Confederate troops were deployed along the road. Despite desperate Confederate . . . — Map (db m52288) HM|
|Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Fort Gibson — 237-2000 — Manard|
|Site of Manard Settlement on Bayou Menard. Named for Pierre Menard (1766-1844. Menard, an early day fur trader, merchant and member of the Chouteau family. Served as the first territorial governor of Illinois.
Springs at Manard identified as a Cherokee council ground prior to 1828. Trading post est. by Bartholet & Heald in 1832. Cherokee agency est. by Montfort Stokes in 1837. Burial place of HT Martin (1822-1868), first postmaster of Cherokee Nation West.
Site of Civil War skirmish . . . — Map (db m52605) HM|
|Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Muskogee — 71 — Fort Davis|
|Established Nov. 1861 by Gen. Albert Pike, C.S. Army. Named for Pres. Jefferson Davis, who had been stationed in the area when a Lieut. U.S. Army. Nearly one million dollares spent on this post by Confederates. In Second Federal Invasion Ft. Davis destroyed Dec. 27, 1862, by U.S. troops including the Third Indian Home Guard Regt. under Col. W.A. Phillips. — Map (db m52277) HM|
|Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Webbers Falls — 75-1995 — Webbers Falls|
|Settled in 1829, named for Walter Webber, Western Cherokee Chief, who had a trading post here. Home of "Rich Joe" Vann to 1844, owner of "Lucy Walker," quarter mile race horse, for which he named his Mississippi River steamboat. In Civil War battle, April 25, 1863, Webbers Falls was burned by Federal troops. — Map (db m52567) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Arcadia — 215 — Route 66|
|Whether motorists called Route 66 the Ozark Trail, the Will Rogers Highway, Main Street America or the Mother Road, all remember Arcadia's Round Barn. The well-known landmark was built in 1898 by W.H. Odor.
After the route was designated a national highway in 1926, improvements were made to the 1917 roadbed. The original road between Edmond and Arcadia was constructed by convict labor. The highway through Arcadia was paved in 1929.
Many Arcadia businesses catered to travelers' needs . . . — Map (db m52003) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — American Elm Ulmus americana Height to 70' (21 m), Zone 2-10|
Native to Eastern N. America. Planted widely for shade and shelterbelts as one of the most popular trees of the city streets, lawns, and parks. However, it is no longer the "famous shade tree" of the past, nor widely recommended. The Dutch elm disease was introduced accidentally about 1930 killing millions of trees, and changing the landscape of much of the country. This native elm is being replaced by less susceptible introduced species and by improved varieties.
State tree of . . . — Map (db m59961) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — And Jesus Wept John 11|
On April 19, 1995 at 9:02 a.m., a bomb exploded just a few hundred feet east of here. In that instant and the ensuing calamity, 168 people were known to be killed. Devastation covered this area. The parish house which stood on this corner was demolished and Saint Joseph Old Cathedral was severely damaged.
In the Sacred Scriptures Jesus is seen as weeping over Jerusalem, soon to be destroyed. He wept for those whose lives would be lost. In the shortest verse of the Bible, Jesus weeps over . . . — Map (db m60345) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — As Long As The Waters Flow Dedication Ceremonies|
Honoring the centuries-old presence and contribution of
Native Americans to Oklahoma
State Capitol Rotunda Sunday, June 4, 1989
Master of Ceremonies
State Senator Enoch Kelly Haney, Seminole Creek
Allan Houser (Haozous),
[List of Participants]
Unveiling Ceremony - Flag Plaza
Traditional Cedar Smoke Blessing
George 'Woogee' Watchetaker,
Comanche Medicine Man
The ceremony was attended by more than one thousand guests, . . . — Map (db m60269) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Building Occupants|
Engraved in the paving behind you are the emblems of the seventeen federal agencies and the three non-federal tenants that occupied the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building on April 19, 1995.
For their contributions and losses they are remembered. — Map (db m60294) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Central High School|
Erected in 1910 as Oklahoma High School, at that time the city's only high school, this Gothic style building was a source of great civic pride. Many future leaders were educated here. — Map (db m60387) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Children's Area|
Children were a significant part of the worldwide response in April 1995, responding with words of encouragement and messages of hope - for Rescue Workers specifically - and Oklahomans in general. Thousands of ceramic tiles were sent to Oklahoma in 1995. A sampling of those tiles is now a permanent part of the Oklahoma City National Memorial. — Map (db m60361) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Flags Flown Over Oklahoma|
Royal Standard of Spain
Great Union of Great Britain
Carolina Land Grant
Royal Standard of France
LaSalle Claimed the Territory
Drained by the Mississippi
of the Spanish Empire
Ceded by France to Spain,
Treaty of Paris
Standard of the
Province of Louisiana
Re-ceded by . . . — Map (db m60393) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — George Washington Elm Tree|
Washington first took command of the American Army under the Grandparent of this Elm at Cambridge, Mass.
July 3, 1775.
Raised and presented by Maryland D.A.R., marked by Oklahoma D.A.R.,
This tree is planted as part of the 200th Anniversary of the Birth of George Washington.
1732 - 1932 — Map (db m59958) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Journal Record Building South Wall|
The south wall of the Journal Record Building directly faced the blast's impact and was heavily damaged by the April 19, 1995 bombing. Parts of the south wall were separated from the floor beams, and the arched section of the building's roof was lifted up by the blast and fell to the ground.
The jagged brick edge across the top of the wall shows where the roof broke away from the building.
Structural repairs were made and a new roof installed. However, the south face with its broken . . . — Map (db m60378) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Kaiser's Ice Cream Parlour|
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m59989) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Oklahoma City Bombing Children's Memorial In Memoriam|
Nineteen Little Boys And Girls Killed In The OKC Bombing
April 19, 1995
"He took them up in his arms...."
Mark 10:16 (KJV)
Painting: Alice Murray — Map (db m60381) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Oklahoma City Bombing Responders' Memorial We Salute And Honor You America's Worst Crime - Oklahoma's Darkest Hour|
April 19, 1995
The grateful citizens of Oklahoma hereby express their gratitude to all Protective and Rescue Personnel, who amid death, danger, darkness and depression, rendered superb service above and beyond the call of duty. They were firemen, lawmen, nurses, doctors, paramedics, ministers, counselors, and many, amny more.
"You were wearied with the length of your way, but you did not say, "It is hopeless'; you found new life for your strength, and so you were not faint."
Isaiah 57:10 (RSV) — Map (db m60382) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum|
| [Excerpts from marker]
This 24,000 square foot Museum exhibit tells the story of the April 19, 1995, bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. You hear the explosion, see the devastation immediately following and learn from family members of those killed, survivors and rescue workers - in their own words - about the recovery and rebuilding.
Powerful video programs, moving oral histories, damaging artifacts and touching stories make the Memorial Museum an unforgettable experience. . . . — Map (db m60376) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum Site Before Bombing Site Today|
Before April 19, 1995, the two-block area between NW 4th and 6th Streets and Robinson and Harvey Avenues served as the northern edge of the downtown core. This area was a workplace to hundreds of people.
5th Street ran through the area where the Reflecting Pool now sits. During construction of the Memorial, the east side of the grounds had to be lowered 11 feet; the west side was raised approximately seven feet to compensate for the grade change from east to west, and to create a . . . — Map (db m60377) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Oklahoma City Oil Field|
Oklahoma City Oil and Gas Field Discovery Well brought in December 4, 1928, approximately six miles southeast of this marker.
From such beginning, sprawling Oklahoma City Oil and Gas Field became one of world's major oil producing areas, ranking eighth in nation during first forty years of existence. In this time Field yielded 733,543,000 barrels of oil.
Discovery and development of Oklahoma City Oil Field added great stability to economy of both Oklahoma City and State of Oklahoma -- . . . — Map (db m59947) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Oklahoma State Seal|
| "This state seal was displayed at the entrance of the Oklahoma exhibit at the New York World's Fair 1964-1965" — Map (db m60268) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Oklahoma Timeline Centennial Memorial Plaza of the Oklahomans|
| 18,000BC Native Americans Occupy Present-Day Oklahoma
1200 AD Mississippian Culture Peaks At Spiro Mounds
1541 Coronado First Europeans To Explore Oklahoma
1750s Osages Push Wichitas & Caddos To Red River
1803 Louisiana Purchase Includes Most Of Oklahoma
1817-1842 Eastern Tribes Removed Over “Trail of Tears”
1821 Santa Fe Trail & Texas Road Cross Oklahoma
1824 Ft. Gibson First Fort Established In Oklahoma
1865-1885 Chisholm Trail & Cattle . . . — Map (db m60212) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Rescuer Orchard|
The Rescuer Orchard is in an area where the Oklahoma Water Resources and Athenian Building once stood. Both sustained heavy damage and required demolition.
The Orchard symbolically "rushes in" from both east and west on the Memorial Grounds towards the Survivor Tree.
This placement was selected as a tribute to the Rescue workers who rushed in to help following the disaster.
Three tree varieties were selected, Oklahoma Redbud, Amur Maple and Chinese Pistache. The Oklahoma Redbud is . . . — Map (db m60359) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — South Entry|
| This was the location of the south entry to the second floor of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building from the plaza level. — Map (db m60302) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — St. Paul's Cathedral|
This building, first opened on Easter Sunday 1904, became the Episcopal Cathedral in 1908. The congregation dates from 1893. — Map (db m60392) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Survivor Tree|
Known today as the "Survivor Tree," this American Elm survived the April 19, 1995 bombing. The Survivor Tree's bark protects it from disease and bugs. Please help us protect the Survivor Tree by not removing bark or placing coins in its bark. We are grateful for donations; however, please help us by placing donations into one of the boxes located around the Memorial Grounds. — Map (db m60281) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Survivor Tree|
This American Elm was surrounded by a parking lot filled with burning vehicles on April 19, 1995. It survived the impact of the explosion and became known as the Survivor Tree, an important symbol of resilience to the family members of those killed, survivors, rescue workers and people around the country. Photographs of this tree date back to the 1920's when it stood in the backyard of a famly's home. — Map (db m60380) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Team 5 Requiem|
We Search For the truth
We Seek Justice.
The Courts Require it.
The Victims Cry for it.
And God Demands it!
A Rescue Worker originally painted the message on this wall during search and recovery efforts in April 1995. The building on which it is painted was a functioning office building when the bomb exploded across the street. Ceilings collapsed, walls fell in and glass shards flew throughout the building. Hundreds of people were injured, many critically. . . . — Map (db m60379) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Team Effort|
Within minutes after 9:02 a.m. on April 19, 1995, this tranquil plaza was transformed into a scene of frantic lifesaving activities. Many individuals became heroes as they joined together to become "First Responder Teams" to pull men, women and children from the bomb-ravaged A.P. Murrah Federal Building.
In less than an hour, a triage center was set up here. During the following fifteen days, this plaza served as one of the command posts and staging areas for over one thousand . . . — Map (db m60295) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — The Field of Empty Chairs|
You are entering the area where the Alfred P. Murrah Building once stood. The granite used on this pathway was salvaged from the Murrah Building. The Field of Empty Chairs is a tribute to the 168 Americans who were killed April 19, 1995. The nine rows represent the nine floors on which they worked or were visiting. The five westernmost Empty Chairs honor those who were killed outside the Murrah Building. — Map (db m60358) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — The Playground|
This grass lawn was the playground for the children's daycare center.
Many children were killed or injured in the building. — Map (db m60282) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Tribute to Range Riders|
This statue was fashioned by
Constance Whitney Warren
Sculptress of Paris, France and New York,
and was presented to
The State of Oklahoma
by this distinguished American Artist
through the solicitation of
Justice Albert C. Hunt
the Supreme Court of Oklahoma,
of New York.
This bronze tribute to the
Romantic Riders of the Range
was unveiled under the direction of
Governor W. J. Holloway
Oklahoma's Own, Will Rogers . . . — Map (db m59952) HM|
|Oklahoma (Osage County), Pawhuska — Blacksmith Home|
|Built in 1871, this 5-room house with native timbers and 18" thick sandstone walls was the first to be built in Pawhuska. When the Osages were moved from Kansas, Sid Delarue, a Swiss blacksmith, was promised the house if he would come to care for their horses. Listed in the “National Register of Historic Places” May 7, 1979, the house was acquired by donation from the First National Bank to the Pawhuska Community Foundation. — Map (db m55655) HM|
|Oklahoma (Osage County), Pawhuska — Pawhuska A Picture Window of our Heritage, The Cowboy, The Indian, The Rich Oil History!!|
|Pawhuska, Oklahoma county seat of Osage County
was named for well known Osage Chief
Pa-Hus-Ka whose name means White Hair
The Post Office was established May 4, 1876
A community who embraces with pride the
reflections of our past and envisions that
wisdom in building the future from this
great heritage We are proud and privileged
to be an important part of
America's natural and cultural history — Map (db m55651) HM|
|Oklahoma (Osage County), Pawhuska — Pawhuska "The Rich Oil History of the Osage"|
|The legacy of oil and the Osages is one of the most intriguing facts of the oil industry in America.
On March 16, 1896, the first oil and gas lease was obtained covering all the Osage Reservation, and on October 28, 1897 the first producing well was completed and oil sold May, 1900.
The oil sold from this well was the first sold from an oil well in Oklahoma.
Since this historic beginning, billions of barrels of oil have been sold from wells in the Osage Nation, and Osage County . . . — Map (db m55652) HM|
|Oklahoma (Osage County), Pawhuska — Pawhuska "The Osage Tribe of Indians"|
|In memory and dedication to those whose foresight, frustrations and sacrifices have helped the Osage Tribe to preserve its identity [sp], development and culture.
1865 - The Osages agreed to the sale of their Kansas lands.
1871 — 1872 The Osages were removed to a reservation in the Indian Territory. This land was purchased from the Cherokee Nation by the Osage Tribe.
1881 - The Osage Tribe formed an organized government.
June 14, 1883; the Cherokee Nation conveyed by . . . — Map (db m55653) HM|
|Oklahoma (Osage County), Pawhuska — St. Louis School For Osage Indian Girls 1887 – 1949|
|One-half mi SW. Est. 1887 by St. Katharine Drexel and Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions, Washington, D.C. Original frame structure located near Main and Palmer burned in 1889, replaced here 1890 by a four-story stone building. Operated by Franciscan Sisters (1887-1915), Loretto Sisters (1915-42), and Blessed Sacrament Sisters (1942-49). — Map (db m55657) HM|
|Oklahoma (Osage County), Pawhuska — The Battle of Wooster Mound|
|Near this site on August 8, 1903, U.S. Deputy Marshal Wiley G. Haines, Chief of Osage Indian Police Warren Bennett, and Constable Henry Majors ended the career of the notorious outlaw gang known as the Martin brothers. The outlaws were wanted for murder and robbery over a five state area. During the fierce gun battle at Wooster Mound, Sam & Will Martin were fatally wounded. Marshal Haines was seriously wounded, but recovered. "No better stroke for law and order in the territory was ever stuck . . . — Map (db m52632) HM|
|Oklahoma (Osage County), Skiatook — 175 — Hillside Mission|
|Established by Rev. John Murdock, under auspices of Friends Society, 1882. This noted school was attended by both Indian and white children. In this vicinity, was home of Wm. C. Rogers, last elected principle chief of Cherokee Nation, 1903 to 1917. His grave, and that of George Tyner, Cherokee, are in Mission Cemetery. — Map (db m7356) HM|
|Oklahoma (Ottawa County), Commerce — Mickey Charles Mantle "The Commerce Comet" Dr. Nick A. Calcagno, Artist|
| "A Great teammate"
CHS class of '49
[Statue dedicated April 17, 2010]
About the Artist
Dr. Nick A Calcagno was the recipient of numerous awards and many professional achievements. His artwork is exhibited at the Kansas City Art Institute, Oklahoma Hall of Fame, Legacy Sports Gallery in Arlington, Texas, and the Fenster Museum in Tulsa, Oklahoma among others. Fine examples of his immense talent are an 8' sculptor [sic] of 1969 Heisman Trophy . . . — Map (db m41741) HM|
|Oklahoma (Ottawa County), Miami — American Indian War Veterans|
| Dedicated to
American Indian War Veterans
by Inter-Tribal Council, Inc.
1976 — Map (db m41739) HM|
|Oklahoma (Ottawa County), Miami — McPherson Post No 48 G.A.R. Civil War Memorial|
To the Soldier Dead
of the Civil War
1861-1865 — Map (db m35100) HM|
|Oklahoma (Ottawa County), Miami — Miami, Oklahoma 1891 --- 75 Years and Growing --- 1966 Teepees to Towers|
Miami: Since her founding in 1891, a chronicle of labor, optimism, growth.
Indians: From them her name and her place - a proud, enduring heritage.
Agriculture: Crops and cattle nourished her infancy, assured her maturity.
Miners: Courageous men gouged the Earth and gave her importance.
Industry: Her today and her promise of tomorrow
Route 66 Grand Lake N.E.O. A&M College — Map (db m35096) HM|
|Oklahoma (Payne County), Ingalls — Outlaw Battle Site about 1 miles S.E.|
|A battle at Ingalls, Sept. 1, 1893, between a Dalton-Doolin gang and U.S. marshals was a climax in bringing law and order to Oklahoma and Indian territories. Three marshals and two residents were killed; several persons were wounded; one outlaw was captured. Ingalls was once home of “Rose of Cimarron.” — Map (db m52624) HM|
|Oklahoma (Payne County), Ingalls — The Battle of Ingalls 1893 Pop. 150|
|On the morning of September 1, 1893 the area around this sign was the scene of one of the fiercest gunfights in the history of the state. Ingalls at the time was the hideout of the Bill Doolin gang. It included Arkansas Tom, Bitter Creek Yocum, and Bill Dalton, a brother of the infamous Daltons who attacked Coffeyville, Kansas. These men in a sense owned the town. Many of the townsfolk were grateful to them because they spent money generously and created much commerce to the growing town. . . . — Map (db m52664) HM|
|Oklahoma (Payne County), Ingalls — U.S. Marshals Monument|
|In memory of
Dick Speed, Tom Houston,
Who fell in the line of duty
Sept. 1, 1893
by Dalton and Doolin gang — Map (db m52628) HM|
|Oklahoma (Pittsburg County), Savanna — 212 — Dr. J. E. Wright|
|J.E. Wright, D.D.S., opened first permanent dental office in the Indian Territory, Savanna, 1885. He practiced as itinerant dentist at Tishomingo Academy, Stonewall, Johnsonville, and White Bead Hill before settling in Savanna. Moved to South McAlester, 1887. Co-founder of the Indian Territory Dental Assn. — Map (db m26088) HM|
|Oklahoma (Pontotoc County), Allen — Chickasaw/Choctaw Stickball Game (Kapochcha Akaaballi)|
|The 1856 boundary between the Chickasaw and Choctaw Nations was east of this site. Each spring and fall the Indians from both Nations met here to race horses and play games. This site was perfect because of the good spring water that fed the area. One of the most talked about games was played on a spring day in 1903. About 300 energetic people came and placed bets. This ancient game was played with a small ball that could be passed with a pair of ball sticks and was played on a field about 100 . . . — Map (db m64183) HM|
|Oklahoma (Pontotoc County), Allen — Osage Village|
|Occupied 1834 by Chief Black Dog's Osage band on buffalo hunt. Gen. Henry Leavenworth and the First Dragoons, including officers Henry Dodge, S.W. Kearney, R.B. Mason, Jefferson Davis, Nathan Boone, and noted artist, George Catlin, camped here June 26, 1834, on expedition west to secure peace with Plains tribes. — Map (db m64130) HM|
|Oklahoma (Roger Mills County), Cheyenne — Battle of the Washita 2 mi. West|
|Nov. 28, 1868, Col. George A. Custer, commanding 7th Cavalry, attacked the Cheyenne village of Chief Black Kettle. 153 Cheyenne casualties, and 34 U.S. troops killed or wounded. Among the killed was Capt. L.M. Hamilton, grandson of Alexander Hamilton. Battle the start of Sheridan's Washita campaign. — Map (db m11573) HM|
|Oklahoma (Roger Mills County), Cheyenne — The Battle of the Washita 1868|
|The Battle of the Washita, a major engagement in the Plains Indian War which established the western expansion of the United States was fought on this site. Col. George A. Custers command of 500 troopers from the 7th Cavalry, and a detachment of Scouts including the famed Ben Clark and the Osage, Hardrope, destroyed Chief Black Kettles Cheyenne village here on Nov. 27, 1868.
Black Kettle, Peace Leader of the Southern Cheyennes, had sought military assurance that he would not be attacked . . . — Map (db m11468) HM|
|Oklahoma (Rogers County), Catoosa — A-21 — Old Mail Route Will Rogers Memorial Highway|
|About ½ mile S-W is the site of Fort Spunky, a relay station on the Old Star Mail between St. Louis and California. After the War Between the States, Catoosa was founded as the post office with John Gunter Schrimsher (1835-1905) an uncle of Will Rogers as Post-Master. — Map (db m52004) HM|
|Oklahoma (Rogers County), Claremore — 169-1995 — Claremore Mound|
|Site of battle in "Strawberry Moon" 1817, when Chief Clermont's Osage village was wiped out by Cherokees. This Osage band from Missouri had settled near the mound at insistence of fur traders of St. Louis. Osages became the wealthiest Indians in Oklahoma by discovery of oil 100 yrs. later on reservation 2 miles West of mound. — Map (db m40995) HM|
|Oklahoma (Rogers County), Claremore — George Washington|
"...knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness, in one in which the measures of government receive their impression so immediately from the sense of the community as is ours it is proportionably essential..."
First Annual Address.
January 8, 1790
"...born, sir, in a land of liberty; having early learned its value; having engaged in a perilous conflict to defend it; having, in a word, devoted the best years of my life to secure its permanent establishment in my . . . — Map (db m59936) HM|
|Oklahoma (Rogers County), Claremore — Howdy Folks The Official Will Rogers Poem by David Randolph Milsten|
Well, here goes some scribblin' that's a little past due,
But I reckon I'm always a-thinkin' 'bout you.
I've been readin' the papers in my own little way,
And I see where you messed up my last birthday.
Through divine television I caught the dedication
And heard some tributes by a mighty swell nation.
Now that's a powerful nice shack you built on the hill;
But that's just like the Sooners, it gives them a thrill.
I never did nuthin' to cause all that fuss;
And . . . — Map (db m41985) HM|
|Oklahoma (Rogers County), Claremore — Oklahoma Military Academy Killed in Action Memorial 1919 - 1971|
In lasting memory of all OMA cadets who gave their lives while serving with distinction and honor in the Armed Forces of the United States, as well as the Allied Forces of Canada and the United Kingdom. Their lives exemplify, to the fullest extent humanly possible,
Courage, Loyalty and Honor.
To these men we humbly dedicate this memorial
World War II 1941 - 1946
J F Albright · Jack C Altman · John M Baker · Kyle E Ball · William A Barrett Jr · Robert W Bartlett · Jackson G . . . — Map (db m59934) HM|
|Oklahoma (Rogers County), Claremore — Oklahoma Military Academy War Memorial|
| In memory and honor of those members of the Oklahoma Military Academy Corp[s] of Cadets who gave their lives and those missing in action that our nation might be free.
May this monument forever remind us that these men gave their all during World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War.
They are not forgotten.
Dedicated June 8, 1991
Almighty God, through whose guidance and protection we became a nation and through whose help we are a free people, give us Thy . . . — Map (db m59932) HM|
|Oklahoma (Rogers County), Claremore — Will Rogers Quarter-Blood Cherokee Roll Number 11384|
| "Live your life, so that whenever you lose you are ahead."
We honor the memory of Oklahoma's beloved native son. A modest, unspoiled child of the Plains, cowboy, actor, humorist and world traveler whose homely philosophy and superior gifts brought laughter and tears to prince and commoner alike. His aversion to sham and deceit, his love of candor and sincerity, coupled with abounding wit and affable repartee, won for him universal homage and an appropriate title, "Ambassador . . . — Map (db m41986) HM|
|Oklahoma (Rogers County), Claremore — Will Rogers Memorial|
Built by the People of
the State of Oklahoma
in Tribute to Will Rogers
Native Son and World Citizen
Dedicated on November 4, 1938
the anniversary of his birth
[Other markers that are located on the entrance grounds of the Will Rogers Memorial follow]
"The Contemplative Will Rogers"
In native Oklahoma sandstone
Philip Alexander Zerkin
Memorial to Delmar Collins
Museum manager: 1975-83
In . . . — Map (db m41987) HM|
|Oklahoma (Rogers County), Foyil — Andrew Hartley Payne (1907 - 1977)|
|Andrew Hartley Payne (1907 - 1977) won the 1928 Great Transcontinental Footrace, began in Los Angeles 3/4/28, ended 3,422.3 miles later in NYC 5/26/28.
Andy, of Cherokee ancestry, graduated from Foyil High School, served 36 years as Clerk of Oklahoma Supreme Court, earned law degree from Oklahoma City University, served in the U.S. Army. — Map (db m52005) HM|
|Oklahoma (Rogers County), Talala — Oklahoma's First Waterflood|
|Injection of water into an oil reservoir to increase recovery was first attempted in Oklahoma on an oil lease 5.8 miles east of this location.|
From that effort, a recovery method previously used in eastern fields was adapted to conditions found in this area. Since then, waterflooding to obtain greater oil recovery has spread to adjoining states and around the world.
The initial waterflood, experimental in nature, was developed by Bert Collins on a shallow producing property in Rogers . . . — Map (db m43783) HM
|Oklahoma (Sequoyah County), Sallisaw — SB1523 — Hoppy Lockhart Welcome Center|
| For 40 years of exemplary service to the Oklahoma Department of Transportation this facility is dedicated to the memory of Hoppy Lockhart.
By his unyielding commitment to the safety of the motorists of eastern Oklahoma, he set the highest standards in dedication and public service. He spent endless hours keeping Interstate 40 serviceable and safe in all types of emergencies and severe weather. The most monumental emergency being the May 26, 2002 barge impact with the Arkansas River . . . — Map (db m52006) HM|
|Oklahoma (Stephens County), Duncan — Duty, Honor and Country|
the men and women
of the Armed Forces
who served their
and who so nobly
gave their lives for
World War I
World War II
Campaigns With None Lost
Lebanon - Laos
Desert Storm — Map (db m57782) WM|
|Oklahoma (Stephens County), Duncan — Erle P. Halliburton 1892-1957 An Uncommon Man|
|Side 1 - "Erected 1993 in memory of a man who left an indelible impression on Duncan and Stephens County. He touched the lives of many people not only as the county's largest employer but as a perpetually inquisitive person whose technical inspirations became legends in the oil industry around the world. His deep and abiding concern for the welfare of the people of this area is remembered fondly."|
Side 2 - "The oil well cementing process, as developed by Erle P. Halliburton, isolates the . . . — Map (db m58430) HM
|Oklahoma (Stephens County), Duncan — Halliburton|
|Main Marker: Halliburton
Incorporated July 1, 1924
Leading the Industry - Worldwide
Duncan and Halliburton Have Served
Each Other For 80 Years
Looking to a Great Future|
Small Inset: This Halliburton rig was erected in 1972 to train Russian engineers and later used to test tools for Halliburton schools. It was removed from its location at Halliburton Plant 2 in February 1996 and donated to the City of Duncan. In February, 1999, the Eagle Scouts of Troop 434 and . . . — Map (db m58741) HM
|Oklahoma (Stephens County), Duncan — Indian Base Line Dedicated to Oklahoma Pioneers and Our Revolutionary Ancestors|
|Initial Point was established by the U.S. government in 1870. All Oklahoma except the Panhandle was then divided into townships North and South and ranges East and West of Initial Point.
The Indian Base Line is two-tenths of a mile south of this point on Beech Road. Duncan is 41 miles west of Initial Point.
The stones in this monument were taken from Initial Point.
Placed by Duncan Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution as a Bicentennial Project
February 22, 1974 — Map (db m58059) HM|
|Oklahoma (Stephens County), Duncan — Lest We Forget|
|These veterans died so that we Americans
could worship God in our own way
and preserve our great heritage "Freedom"
V.F.W. Post 1192 John "Steve" Brodie — Map (db m57692) HM|
|Oklahoma (Stephens County), Duncan — Memorial Park|
|Sponsored by American War Dads
Duncan Chapter No. 7
Dedicated to the memory of those who served — Map (db m57885) WM|
|Oklahoma (Stephens County), Duncan — Persian Gulf, Afghanistan & Iraq War Memorial|
|We honor the men and women of
the United States Armed Forces for
their efforts to let freedom reign in
the Persian Gulf War, Afghanistan,
and Iraq. "You can only protect
your liberties in this world by
protecting the other man's freedom.
You can only be free if I am free."
Eagle Project Dalton Matthews 2008 — Map (db m57651) WM|
|Oklahoma (Stephens County), Duncan — POW-MIA You Are Not Forgotten|
|Dedicated to the
Prisoners of War and those
Missing in Action. Whose
supreme sacrifice helped
to keep our nation free.
Turn you to the stronghold.
Ye prisoners of hope: even
today do I declare that I
will render double unto thee.
Zec. 9:12 — Map (db m58867) HM|
|Oklahoma (Stephens County), Duncan — Vietnam War 1964 - 1973|
May we then hold a tender thought, they would not wish that we be sad; but cherish that for which they fought, and gave up all on earth they had.
James R. Rutledge Robert E. Craythorne Cecil D. Belt, Jr. Ralph E. Mabry Jimmy W. Boggs Charles Seaton Robert Van Pack Ronald A. Sehested
Ronnie D. Shaw Teddy Hargrove Dennis Ray Forney
David Mark Steele Patrick D. Robirds Jimmy Don West Robert . . . — Map (db m59223) HM|
|Oklahoma (Texas County), Guymon — E.T. Guymon|
|Edward T. Guymon was born in Illinois in 1859. At 21 he moved to McPherson, Kansas from Coatsburg, Illinois. Story is he sold a cow for $22 to pay his fare west. He loaded coal for the Santa Fe Railroad as a clerk and partner for the Star Mercantile.
He established the Star Mercantile in 1888 at Liberal, Kansas. Guymon took a large shipment of groceries, which he first sold from a flatcar, then from a tent while he built a building.
Guymon knew the Rock Island would build on west. . . . — Map (db m55265) HM|
|Oklahoma (Texas County), Guymon — Guymon, Texas County, Oklahoma|
Townsite planned on Rock Island Railroad survey by
Inter-State Land & Town Co. in 1900.
Rock Island Railroad built through Oklahoma Panhandle 1901.
Town founded as Sanford Post Office 14 June 1901, changed to
Guymon Post Office on 29 June 1901, after E.T. Guymon,
President, Inter-State Land & Town Co. and owner of
Star Mercantile, town's first store.
Townsite plat and deed filed 1904.
Guymon incorporated 1905, validated by special act of
First State Legislature 1908 . . . — Map (db m55267) HM|
|Oklahoma (Texas County), Guymon — Oil & Gas|
|Discovered in the 1918, and drilled in the 1930's, the Hugoton Gas Field was one of the largest deposits of natural gas in the world. The Hugoton field which is approximately 3000' deep extends from SW Kansas through the Oklahoma Panhandle and into the Texas Panhandle, covering 8500 sq. miles. This is 5 times the size of the state of Rhode Island.
This field along with subsequent deeper discoveries of oil and gas have provided landowners with royalty revenue and cheap fuel for such things . . . — Map (db m55261) HM|
|Oklahoma (Texas County), Guymon — The Cow|
|The rancher, bringing his cattle, first came to the open range of No Man's Land in the mid-1800s. Barbed wire fences later defined areas of ownership. Confined cattle feedyards developed in the 1950's. These feedlots resulted partly because of the irrigation, abundance of feed grains, and the mild winters and low rainfall. The cattle industry has long been a vital part of the Panhandle economy and way of life.
Cow donated by Hitch Enterprises — Map (db m55264) HM|
|Oklahoma (Texas County), Guymon — The Pig|
|Homesteading families in the Panhandle commonly had a pig or two for personal consumption. It was not until 1992 when Seaboard Farms announced they were going to build a pork processing plant in Guymon that the pork industry leapt forward here on the Oklahoma Plains. Now, in the early 2000s, 4,000,000 hogs a year are raised in Northwest Oklahoma and the Panhandle for processing at the Guymon plant.
The pork industry has become an integral part of the economy of the Panhandle, as well as . . . — Map (db m55262) HM|
|Oklahoma (Texas County), Hooker — Graham–Hoeme Chisel Plow An Historic Landmark of Agricultural Engineering|
|Preventing wind erosion was the primary objective of Feed Hoeme, a Hooker, Oklahoma farmer, when he developed a heavy-duty chisel plow in 1933. Hoeme and his sons manufactured and sold about 2000 plows from their farmstead. In 1938, W.T. Graham purchased the manufacturing and distribution rights and established manufacturing in Amarillo, Texas. The Graham-Hoeme Plow, marketed as “The Plow to Save the Plains”, was sold worldwide. This chisel plow helped control wind erosion during . . . — Map (db m55270) HM|
|Oklahoma (Texas County), Tyrone — Panhandle Baptists|
|Organized Baptist work in the Oklahoma Panhandle began Aug. 5, 1894 when the Pleasant View Baptist Church was founded with 8 charter members 1½ mi. N and 1½ mi. E of here. Meetings were in the Pleasant View school house until after the Rock Island R.R. built through Tyrone in 1901, which caused the community to shift here and the church located on its present site in a white frame house in 1902, was renamed Tyrone Baptist Church, then in 1903 affiliated with Southern Baptist of . . . — Map (db m55272) HM|
|Oklahoma (Texas County), Tyrone — Shade's Well Site two miles south|
|From this famous well, cattlemen watered their herds of thousands of stock while waiting shipment over the Rock Island Railroad, after long trail drives to the end of the track near old Tyrone. The well was located by J. U. Shade and H. B. Fore in 1888. It was managed by Zachariah Cain to 1901 ~ end of cattle trail days. — Map (db m55271) HM|
|Oklahoma (Tulsa County), Broken Arrow — Sieling Park|
|Ida Sieling, widow of Henry Sieling and daughter of Herman Scheer, landscaped a run-down, city-owned plot of land across the street from her home into a beautiful botanical park. The Self Culture Club do-nated additional lots in 1938. Dieling Park was dedicated May 7, 1939.
(BA 100 Yr History, PG 203)
Broken Arrow Centennial 2002 — Map (db m42027) HM|
|Oklahoma (Tulsa County), Mannford — 173 — Battle of Round Mountain|
|This first battle of the Civil War in Indian Territory began 6 miles south, Nov. 19, 1861, when Col. D.H. Cooper's Confederate vanguard was repulsed by Little Captain's warriors from Opothleyahola's Indian allies moving to north of the Ark. River to avoid war. — Map (db m52261) HM|
|Oklahoma (Tulsa County), Skiatook — 167 — Battle of Chustenalah|
|This site, 3.5 miles N.W. is where Col. Jas. McIntosh, 2nd Ark. Mtd. Rifles, routed Loyal Union Indian forces, Dec. 26, 1861. The battle started with fire from the Indian line on Patriot's Hill, 2 Mi. S.W. The Loyal Indians finally fled into Kansas. — Map (db m52264) HM|
|Oklahoma (Tulsa County), Sperry — 171-1995 — Battle of Chusto-Talasah|
|This Battle site is 9 miles NE., SE at the caving banks bend on bird creek. Here Dec 9, 1861 Opothleyahola's Union Indians forced the retreat of Col. D.H. Cooper's Confederate troops. Marker sponsored by the Tulsa Historical Society. — Map (db m39564) HM|
|Oklahoma (Tulsa County), Sperry — Battle of Chusto-Talasah or "Caving Banks"|
|The Battle of "Caving Banks" was fought on Dec. 9, 1861 between 1500 Texas and Indian calvarymen under Confederate Col. D.H. Cooper and 2500 Loyal Creeks and Cherokees enroute to Kansas with Chief Opothle Yahola. The struggle centered on a log house at the tip of the Horse-Shoe Bend in Bird Creek west of this point. Fifteen Confederate dead are buried on this battlefield. Many others are buried in unmarked graves. — Map (db m52260) HM|
|Oklahoma (Tulsa County), Tulsa — First Oil Well in Tulsa County|
|First oil well in Tulsa County, completed on June 25, 1901 .4 mi west by Drs. J.C.W. Bland and Fred S. Clinton. This well brought first nation wide publicity and oil boom to Indian Ter. rapid industrial development made Tulsa "Oil Capital of the World." — Map (db m34129) HM|
|Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Okay — Texas Road|
|Texas RoadThe most ancient and important trail through Oklahoma Three Forks at the head of navigation of the Verdigris River the oldest trading post in Oklahoma dating from 1812.
Creek & OsageIndian agencies on the East and West banks of the river below the falls of the Verdigris in buildings acquired from Col. A.P. Chouteau in 1828.
The First Party of emigrating Creek Indians were landed here in February 1828. Between here and Fort Gibson Sam Houston resided during his stay with the . . . — Map (db m52559) HM|
|Oklahoma (Woods County), Freedom — Cowboy Cemetery|
On September 12, 1878, the bodies of Reuban Bristow and Fred Clark were found near here. It was believed they had been killed by Northern Cheyenne Indians led by Chief Dull Knife. Bristow and Clark were cowboys hauling salt for Commanche pool cattle when Dull Knife fled harsh conditions on the reservation near Canton. The salt haulers, probably killed for their mule team, inadvertently crossed the path of the Cheyenne during their desparate flight home to the Northern . . . — Map (db m19213) HM|
|Oklahoma (Woodward County), Fort Supply — Camp Supply Near here North|
|Established Nov. 1868 by Gen. Alfred Sully with 5 companies of 3rd Inf. This was the supply base for Col. Custer's 7th Cav. Here, Dec. 2, 1868, Gen. Sheridan received Custer returning from the Battle of the Washita. Name changed to Ft. Supply 1889. Post abandoned 1893. Buildings now used by the State as a hospital. — Map (db m39803) HM|