Dr. Forbes Barclay left Scotland in 1839 for Fort Vancouver (Washington) where he became chief physician for Hudson's Bay Company. He moved to Oregon City in 1850 where he practiced medicine for many years. He was one of Oregon City's early mayors, . . . — Map (db m8692) HM
Born in Riviere du Loup, Canada, October 19, 1784.
1824 Came to the Oregon Country as Chief Factor of the Columbia Department of the Hudson's Bay Company.
1829 Located his claim to the present site of Oregon City.
1845 Resigned his position . . . — Map (db m8699) HM
In memory of Eva Emery Dye and others who saved the McLoughlin House from demolition in 1909. The house was moved down Main Street and up Singer Hill to open as a museum on this location in 1910. Mrs. Dye was the author of “McLoughlin and Old . . . — Map (db m8698) HM
Born in Washington Co. Va., Meek leaves home at age 18, arriving in St. Louis in the fall of 1828. Meek signs on as a trapper with the Rocky Mtn. Fur Co., remaining in the Rockies until 1839.
1839 - 1843: Meek travels to the Willamette Valley and . . . — Map (db m8673) HM
Born in Oregon City
June 10, 1949
Killed in Action
February 23, 1971
Vice President Ford of the United States of America awarded posthumously in the name of Congress
The Medal of Honor
for conspicuous gallantry & intrepidity in . . . — Map (db m8711) HM
On this site was an early firehall. Current structure was built as City Hall housing city offices, Police Dept., and the jail, all of which remained until the mid 40s. Oregon City Beauty School occupied main floor and basement for 22 years. Jail . . . — Map (db m8747) HM
In the city he founded, in this house he built, lived Dr. John McLoughlin, 1846-57.
He won enduring fame for his generous and humane aid to early American settlers in the Oregon Country, as Chief Factor and Superintendent of the Hudsons Bay . . . — Map (db m8693) HM
Built by Ed Johnson as a full service barber shop with 4 chairs and bathing facilities. Basement still has massive brick boiler for hot water originally fired by sawdust from local mill. Converted to restaurant in 1986. — Map (db m8746) HM
Oregon City - supply point for pioneer emigrants was first located as a claim by Dr. John McLoughlin in 1829. The first provisional legislature of the Oregon Country was held here in 1843 and land and tax laws formulated. Oregon City was the capital . . . — Map (db m8700) HM
Oregon City - once known as Willamette Falls - was early the site of an Indian salmon fishing village. The falls furnished the power for a lumber mill which began operation in 1842. A flour mill in 1844. A woolen mill in 1864 and the first paper . . . — Map (db m8713) HM
In memory of all who gave their lives for the preservation of American Freedom
Spanish American War
World War I
World War II
Harold L. Adams
Harold D. Alt
Alfred W. Anderson
Harold A. Anderson
Robert C. Baker
Herman v. . . . — Map (db m13264) HM
[Marker on Monument's front]:
In memory of veterans who served in all wars
"Never to be Forgotten"
Donated to the City of Sandy, Oregon
and dedicated on November 11, 1987 by members
of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of
the United . . . — Map (db m8573) HM
Chief factor of the Hudsons Bay Company at Fort Vancouver, philanthropist, and founder of Oregon City. The land on the east bank of the Willamette River at the falls was claimed by Dr. McLoughlin and the Hudsons Bay Co. in 1828-29. First called . . . — Map (db m8669) HM
From 1845 to 1849, George Abernethy was the first Provisional Governor of the Oregon Country, which extended from the Pacific Ocean to the Rocky Mountains and from California to Northern British Columbia. After arriving in Oregon in 1840 as part of . . . — Map (db m8670) HM
Was early the site of an Indian salmon fishing village. The falls furnished the power for a lumber mill which began operation in 1842, a flour mill in 1844, a woolen mill in 1864 and the first paper mill in the Pacific Northwest in 1867. The first . . . — Map (db m8668) HM
Still in use below this point-were opened on New Years Day, 1873, when the steamer Maria Wilkins became the first vessel to navigate up the west end of Willamette Falls. Farming and shipping interests had long sought to eliminate expensive portages . . . — Map (db m8667) HM
In memory of the 304th Rescue Squadron aircrew members, who lost their lives on board aircraft King 56, while performing a training mission on the night of November 22, 1996. These men were Citizen Soldiers committed to the preservation of the . . . — Map (db m11977) HM
Many of Oregon's early transportation routes resulted from the efforts of enterprising pioneers like the Boone family of Clackamas County. In 1846 Alphonso Boone, grandson of Daniel Boone, emigrated to Oregon via the Applegate Trail with his large . . . — Map (db m38396) HM
Baseball was a popular past time in Wilsonville during an era community baseball that ran around 1910 to 1930. The highlight was 1914, the year the Wilsonville Athletic Club won the state Championship.
Regular Sunday play on this site was . . . — Map (db m76951) HM
Deer Island in the Columbia was named by the Lewis and Clark Expedition which stopped to dine here November 5, 1805 on its way down river. Homeward bound the explorers camped on the island on March 28,1806. Captain Clark recorded "This morning we . . . — Map (db m7981) HM
In the year 1874 on this and adjoining
property Captain Judah Parker and
partners built and operated the first
steam sawmill and steam tug on the
Coquille River. A year later Captain
Parker, with the assistance of the
settlers and farmers . . . — Map (db m73228) HM
January 2, 1852
First white settlement in what is now
On the beach west of here the U.S. Transport Captain Lincoln was beached at high tide during a storm. The soldiers and crew built a . . . — Map (db m73227) HM
Stein's Pillar, 350 feet high and 120 feet wide, is a modern day clue to this area's ancient past.
Around forty-four million years ago, avalanches of hot ash, pumice and volcanic dust flowing from local volcanic centers filled this ancient . . . — Map (db m64448) HM
In 1876 Mr. R.D. Hume of Astoria, Oregon, decided to move his commercial salmon fishing, processing and shipping business to the mouth of the Rogue River. Mr. Hume anticipated huge profits due to the large run of "King" Salmon which entered the . . . — Map (db m73202) HM
On Feb. 10, 1937, winds over 74 M.P.H. caused the 190 foot steam schooner "Cottoneva" to run aground at Battle Rock. It was in port loading lumber. The captain and all 26 seamen were rescued by the Coast Guard crew using a breeches body. The . . . — Map (db m73203) HM
Pilot Butte was a beacon for travelers.
On a day sometime in the year 1813, and Indian lookout, from one of several tribes summering in this vicinity, might have “hiked the butte” and from here observed an exploration party . . . — Map (db m63090) HM
Geologists say the volcanic activity of this area occurred less than 6000 years ago. Lava which exuded from the south side of this butte flowed to the west and blocked the Deschutes River, deflecting it from its former channel. This formed the . . . — Map (db m68673) HM
(Marker #1) Welcome LAVA RIVER CAVE is one of Oregon's longest (5466 feet) uncollapsed lava tubes. About 100,000 years ago, this conduit carried 2000° F. (1100° C.) lava from an upslope vent to lower areas on the flanks of the Newberry . . . — Map (db m92909)
This complex ecosystem nurtures a variety of plants and animals.
Vast, sage-covered plains begin at the eastern foot of the Pilot Butte and stretch dramatically to the east and south. This is Oregons fabled “High Desert”. The . . . — Map (db m63094) HM
You may already know about pipelines. Oil, water and gas, chemicals, medicine and food flow to us through pipes and tubes. Pipelines are a naturally efficient way to move fluid from one place to another. Nature constructs marvelous . . . — Map (db m92910)
In the beginning...there were old growth trees.
The small community, first called Farewell Bend from the nearby big bend in the Deschutes River, could have been called “Pilot Butte” if the 1901 recommendation of Postmaster William . . . — Map (db m63089) HM
Where people lived near obsidian, their lives and cultures were transformed. They used and celebrated the glassy gift of volcanoes to manufacture tools, weapons, jewelry, sculptures, and ceremonial objects. To ancient Central American people, the . . . — Map (db m72437) HM
The furnaces of the earth brought spectacular change to this land 1300 years ago. A new, rough, glassy environment offered a harsh home for the heartiest plants and animals. Past cultures prized the shiny black rock for their survival. Today, the . . . — Map (db m72434)
The entire surface of this remarkable flow is glass, a liquid that cooled without crystallizing. The striking differences you see from rock to rock are due to the number and size of bubbles.
Why is everything glass?
Whether natural or . . . — Map (db m72435)
First came a violent eruption of pumice and ash. Then glassy lava oozed from the ground.
1 Magma Chamber
From deep hot regions, liquid rock called magma accumulated in a chamber 2 to 4 miles (3 to 6 km) below the . . . — Map (db m72436)
You are standing on the shore of a lake that may seem old but in geologic terms was formed yesterday. Fish Lake continues to change, seasonally and through the decades.
Around three thousand years ago an eruption of Nash Crater formed Fish Lake . . . — Map (db m70950)
Welcome to historic Fish Lake.
Now a quiet and peaceful place, it was once filled with the hustle and bustle of people working and traveling across the Cascades.
Nearby is the Fish Lake Remount Depot which has been in continuous use as a . . . — Map (db m62025) HM
Peter Skene Ogden was born at Quebec in 1794. He explored Central Oregon for the Hudson's Bay Company in 1825 and in December of that year discovered Crooked River not far from this spot. He died at Oregon City in 1854.
Land for this park was . . . — Map (db m80487) HM
Established in 1851 by Dr. Dorsey S. Baker. The town moved to the present site in 1872 when the O&C Railroad reached this point. Alonzo F. Brown founded the new town. Fires destroyed the wooden buildings. The existing brick buildings were built in . . . — Map (db m99321) HM
The story of the Cow Creek Band of Umpqua Tribe of Indians is a tale of perseverance and strong recovery in the face of great loss. Epidemics and hostilities with miners let to large population declines. The tribe entered into a treaty with the . . . — Map (db m99222) HM
Dedicated to the memory of
Rev. J.A. Cornwall and Family
They built the
First Immigrant Cabin
in Douglas County near
this site hence the name
The family wintered here in
Were saved from extreme want
by . . . — Map (db m99269) HM
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places 1985
The Mill-Pine neighborhood grew out of a need for housing close to the railroad. The Oregon-California railroad line was completed from Portland to Roseburg in 1872 and on to Ashland in . . . — Map (db m99323) HM
Who followed this route across the plains at the age of 17 driving oxen and walking barefoot.
He later settled on Shuttler Flat five miles south of this marker and was the first to engage in wheat farming in Gilliam County — Map (db m101983) HM
Gold was discovered on Whiskey Flat in June, 1862; Canyon City quickly grew and became the County Seat by 1864. Scenes and Characters from the early years come alive in this 1996 mural by Larry Kangas.
This colorful history is celebrated at "62 . . . — Map (db m96719) HM
In June 1862, a company of miners from northern California were heading east over the Strawberry Mountain Range, when one of the men discovered gold on Whiskey Flat, half a mile south of here. Miners from all over the area flocked into the area, and . . . — Map (db m96722) HM
The dark layers of Picture Gorge were formed from seventeen distinct floods of lava flowing from nearby cracks in the earth. These basalt flows joined with others covering much of eastern Washington and Oregon, and northern Idaho, beginning about 16 . . . — Map (db m71521)
Fort Harney, on the former Malheur Indian Reservation, was named for Gen. Wm. S. Harney, who took command of the Military Department of Oregon, Sept. 13, 1858. The fort was established Aug. 10, 1867, and became a permanent Military Post. By order of . . . — Map (db m63026) HM
Weary Oregon Trail emigrants, eager to ease travel or gain mileage, often attempted cutoffs and shortcuts. While many of these alternate routes proved successful, others did not--they became roads to ruin for some and the end of the trail for . . . — Map (db m63032) HM
Migrating fish are attracted to large flows of water coming from the Bonneville Dam. To take advantage of this natural reaction, fish-collection facilities are placed along the face of the powerhouse and at each end of the spillway dam. These . . . — Map (db m92686) HM
Sturgeon range throughout the Columbia River system, however the construction of Bonneville Dam and the other dams upstream blocked sturgeon migration. Sturgeon, unlike salmon, do not use fish ladders. Sturgeon below Bonneville Dam travel up and . . . — Map (db m92687) HM
Gold discovered on hill across Rogue River in 1860. Land for Gold Hill donated by Thomas & Rose Chavner in 1884. Railroad built in 1887. Town Inc. Feb. 12, 1895. First school in Methodist Church in 1889. Electricity came from Gold Rey Dam in 1904. . . . — Map (db m99286) HM
J.B. White founded the small Community of Rock Point in the early 1850's. John fought in the Rouge Indian Wars. In exchange for his service he received land, and developed a homestead on the north side of the stage road. The land was sold to L. J. . . . — Map (db m99258) HM
The Takelma, which means "People of the River," had a village here. According to legend, Ti'lomikh (Te lo meekh) is where Daldal, the Great Dragonfly, brought the Salmon Ceremony. Although the date of the first ceremony is unknown, the People of the . . . — Map (db m99316) HM
The Takelma, which means "People of the River," had a village here. According to legend, Ti'lomikh (Te lo meekh) is where Daldal, the Great Dragonfly, brought the Salmon Ceremony. Although the date of the first ceremony is unknown, the People of the . . . — Map (db m99319) HM
Built in 1866 as a one room schoolhouse for Catholic boys, it became the rectory for Father F.X. Blanchet in 1870. An addition was built in 1891. St. Joseph's Catholic Church became a mission of Medford in 1908 the rectory became a private . . . — Map (db m91767) HM
The City Hall was built 1880-81 at a cost of $2500.00, which included the price of the land. A meeting hall for the town's Board of Trustees, and office area for the town recorder, two jail cells, and accommodations for fire fighting equipment were . . . — Map (db m91781) HM
The Cuthbert Building, constructed in 1910, was built by the Big Bend Milling Company. Franklin Cuthbert's furniture originally occupied the building. The building has housed a series of department stores. In 1920, the Golden Rule Mercantile Co., a . . . — Map (db m92072) HM
Applegate Trail emigrants required up to four days to travel from the Klamath River over the Cascades and Siskiyous to the Rouge River valley. The journey may have challenged those with healthy oxen, but it was a devastating trail for those whose . . . — Map (db m88403) HM
In July 1846 Jesse Applegate, Levi Scott and thirteen others known as "The South Road Party" located this pioneer trail. It was used by the emigrants traveling from Fort Hall on the Oregon Trail to the Rogue River and Willamette Valleys between . . . — Map (db m88005) HM
Southern Route to Oregon
In 1846, Jesse Applegate and fourteen others from near Dallas, Oregon, established a trail south from the Willamette Valley and east to Fort Hall. This route offered emigrants an alternative to the perilous . . . — Map (db m88017) HM
Throughout the 20th century, traffic increased dramatically on US Highway 97 - from a few vihicles per day in the 1920's to over 8,000 by the 1990's! After 70 years, the Crooked River (High) Bridge (1926) though still structurally sound was unable . . . — Map (db m80488) HM
This park is named for Peter Skene Ogden, 1793-1854. In the fall of 1825, Ogden led a Hudston's Bay Company trapping party on the first recorded journey into central Oregon, crossing the country to the north and east into the Crooked River Valley . . . — Map (db m67889) HM
Central Oregon's roads were primitive at best during the early 1900s. Until the 1920s, US Highway 97 was a collection of unpaved roads. Prior to construction of the Crooked River (High) Bridge in 1926, the only nearby crossing was a small, one-lane . . . — Map (db m67888) HM
The Oregon Trunk Railway Bridge, constructed in 1911, was the first structure to cross this spectacular gorge. Prior to construction the only crossing of the Crooked River in this region was located about a mile upstream, where the canyon's sheer . . . — Map (db m80490) HM
An ancient trail passed through here as part of an extensive Indian trade network linking peoples of the Northern Great Basin and Columbia Plateau to those living west of the Cascades. Obsidian, bear grass, and slaves were transported over these . . . — Map (db m36498) HM
Set aside by
July 12, 1909
Lower plaque: Department of the Interior
National Park Service
Regulations require that all persons entering . . . — Map (db m63167) HM
Joel Perkins was an ambitious young man looking for
riches. Perkins arrived in Oregon in 1844 at the age
of 23 with his mother, father, and four siblings. In
1851 Joel followed wagon tracks from the Willamette
Valley to one of the best spots to . . . — Map (db m100215) HM
This fortified ranch was a donation land claim filed by Wm. B. Hay in 1854. It was attacked by 200 Takelma Indians on March 23, 1856. A battle including hand-to-hand combat raged into the night. The hostiles withdrew in the morning and . . . — Map (db m91942) HM
This covered bridge is the one remaining covered bridge in Josephine County. It was constructed by Elmer J. Nelson in 1920 as part of the new Pacific Highway project at a cost of $21,128.65. It was built on Josephine Countys first donation land . . . — Map (db m63153) HM
In 1846, Jesse Applegate and fourteen others from near Dallas, Oregon, established a trail south from the Williamette Valley and east to Fort Hall. This route offered emigrants an alternative to the perilous “last leg” of the Oregon . . . — Map (db m63155) HM
Wolf Creek Tavern was built c. 1883 by Henry Smith, a highly successful and influential local entrepreneur. The establishment of the hotel, mercantile and post office occurred at the time the Oregon and California Railroad was being completed in . . . — Map (db m47204) HM
From Bull-teams To Helicopters, From Misery Whips To Chainsaws And Tree Harvesting Machines, From Water-powered Circular Saws To Automatic Laser-guided Bandsaw Mills, Logging Was Oregon's First Industry And Remains One Of Our Most Important. At No . . . — Map (db m100216) HM
About 6,800 years ago, at the climax of a series of dramatic eruptions, the top of Mt. Mazama collapsed. Left behind was the huge crater, or caldera, you see today. But before the caldera filled with water, there were more eruptions.
The . . . — Map (db m63122) HM
When Mt. Mazama collapsed about 6,800 years ago, it left behind evidences of its former self. Like X-ray photos the steep caldera walls reveal the interior of Mt. Mazama before its fall. From this point several pre-collapse volcanic features can be . . . — Map (db m63119) HM
The collapsed volcano that now holds Crater Lake once stood more than a mile (1.6 km) above the present lake level. Called Mt. Mazama, this massive mountain of overlapping cones was high enough to support a cap of snow all year. During the Ice Age, . . . — Map (db m62081) HM
The pumice deposits you are now standing on are the product of Mt. Mazama, an explosive volcano that collapsed to form the Crater Lake caldera. Mazama stood about 6 miles (9.7 km) south of here (to your left).
About 7,700 years ago Mt. Mazama . . . — Map (db m63116) HM
These 58 soldiers and associates were buried in this cemetery, including 22 casualties of the Modoc War. In 1890, after the fort was abandoned, the remains were exhumed and laid to rest at the Presidio in San Francisco.
Pvt. . . . — Map (db m91782) HM WM
Established for the promotion of peaceful relationships between the Indians and
the early settlers by the Oregon Volunteer Calvary in 1863. The post was abandoned
by the United States Army in 1890. Now preserved
Klamath County Park
for . . . — Map (db m100288) HM
The first emigrant train over the "Southern Route," including more than fifty wagons under the leadership of Captain Levi Scott and David Goff, left the Oregon Trail at Fall Creek or Raft River, on the Snake River, August 10, 1846. The Klamath River . . . — Map (db m88002) HM
Rafted lumber down Upper Klamath Lake and
built first buildings on this site, 1867.
Registered first official plat of town, 1878.
Was Linkville's first hotel keeper, postmaster,
and livery stable operator. Gave building lots
to people who . . . — Map (db m100206) HM
Locomotive #2579 is a typical example of over 350 small steam locomotives called “Consolidations” that were used by the Southern Pacific Railroad from the early 1900s well into the 1950s. During their time she and her sisters were . . . — Map (db m99216) HM
Used by Indians; by Hudson's Bay trappers; by covered wagons; by Fremont 1846; by railroad survey party 1855; by soldiers at Fort Klamath. Site of the Modoc Indian conference in hope of averting war with that tribe; of the first water wheel; of the . . . — Map (db m100223) HM
Established as a premiere apartment building,
the Marion opened its doors in 1928. The property is listed in Salem, Oregon with the state historical society. It was designed by a San Francisco based architect, and built by a contractor also from . . . — Map (db m100263) HM
Pioneer village founded in 1870. A rival town of Linkville and the first platted in Klamath County. Named after the merganser ducks on Klamath River. A bridge-crossing made it an important trade route. The town served as a settler defense rendezvous . . . — Map (db m100201) HM
This is Oregon's largest body of water, about 90,000 acres. Indians inhabiting its shores ("People of the Lake") lived well on wild fowl, fish and wocus seeds. The first known white visitors (1825-26) were Hudson's Bay trappers under Tom McKay and . . . — Map (db m100204) HM
Martin R. Frain born December 17, 1832 in New York, came west in 1850, arrived in Oregon Territory April 30, 1857 crossed Link river and camped under a ledge nearby. Established the first Trading Post at the present area of Payne Alley and Main . . . — Map (db m100207) HM
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service, defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — Map (db m79277) HM
In 1846, first crossed the Applegate Trail. The Southern Wagon Road and Topsy Road made original junction. An Indian Trail, at first; then the
Soldiers traversed these roads and in 1863, the Pony Express Trail was used to carry messages from Fort . . . — Map (db m100225) HM
Originally built as a milkhouse straddling willow creek, this structure was located on the Van Brimmer Ranch, west of Tulelake, California, 13 miles from the Modoc Stronghold, Lava Beds. During the Modoc Indian War of 1872-73, the cabin was . . . — Map (db m100265) HM
This building was erected as a residence in 1927 by then property owner Earl Whitlock. Mr. Whitlock, who moved to Klamath Falls in 1905, was a local mortician and the Klamath County Coroner from 1909-1932. H.E. Roskamp was the general contractor, . . . — Map (db m100262) HM
Southern Route to Oregon
In 1846, Jesse Applegate and fourteen others from near Dallas, Oregon, established a trail south from the Willamette Valley and east to Fort Hall. This route offered emigrants an alternative to the perilous . . . — Map (db m87946) HM
Four years after the end of the War of 1812, Great Britain and the United States agreed their citizens could trade in Oregon country without prejudice to either nation's claim. Both countries strived for that extra influence which could blossom into . . . — Map (db m87953) HM
Five panels, one each for Spain, Great Britain, Russia, the United States and Mexico, outline each country's claim to the Oregon territory.
Vasco Nunez de Balboa first saw the Pacific Ocean in Sept. 1513. Until . . . — Map (db m87958) HM
A party of 15 men, styled the South Road Expedition, as led by Capt. Levi Scott, Jesse Applegate, and David Goff, crossed the 42nd parallel on late July 4, 1846. It was blazing a road on which to lead Americans from harm, free of the impending war . . . — Map (db m87945) HM
The Centennial Bridge was built in 1987 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Cottage Grove. It was built by volunteers with recycled timbers from the Brumbaugh and Meadows bridges, and paid for with donations. Its Howe truss spans 84' and rests on . . . — Map (db m99285) HM
During the first half of the 20th century, Ellis Fuller Lawrence was one of Oregon's foremost architects. In 1914, he became the founder and first dean of the School of Architecture and Allied Arts at the University of Oregon. During his 32 year . . . — Map (db m99251) HM
A rock or boulder carried from its original source by an act of nature is called an erratic. This granite erratic was deposited near Harrisburg, Oregon about 12,000 years ago. Geologists say it was carried there by an iceberg during the . . . — Map (db m99224) HM
Site of the home of A.W. and Amanda Patterson. He was a pioneer Lane County doctor and surveyor who plotted a greater part of Eugene. In 1853, Patterson was also a member of the Oregon Legislature and was instrumental in establishing the University . . . — Map (db m99248) HM
This piece of petrified wood was found near the mouth of Moffett Creek when the Columbia River Highway was widened in 1950. The wood turned to stone as the fiber of the original tree, which lived during the early Miocene age (26 million years ago), . . . — Map (db m99223) HM
Early industries in the Florence area were built on the natural resources that the Siuslaw River Valley had to offer. The rivers were filled with swarming salmon and the forests held acres of old growth timber. Those abundant natural resources . . . — Map (db m93894) HM
The connection to the Pacific Ocean by way of the Siuslaw River made Florence a natural hub for industry. The shifting river channel and mouth made early navigation unpredictable. The lack of stable conditions made establishing a thriving harbor . . . — Map (db m93912) HM
Constructing Over the Siuslaw
The Siuslaw River Bridge incorporates Art Deco, Moderne, Gothic, and Egyptian influence that were important to McCullough. Due to its ability to open at the center, the Siuslaw River Bridge best represents . . . — Map (db m93875) HM
Elijah Bristow, a veteran of Andrew Jackson's army, erected his cabin here on Pleasant Hill in 1846, earliest year of settlement in Lane County. He and his wife Susannah then led in establishing the county's first church and first school. This . . . — Map (db m99218) HM
In 1845 Elijah Bristow and his wife (Susannah Gabbart Bristow) left their home in Illinois and traveled overland to California. They came to Oregon in the spring of 1846, following the Hudson's Bay trappers' route to the northern Willamette Valley. . . . — Map (db m99220) HM
Devil's Punchbowl is a hole in the sandstone terrace. It was formed by the collapse of the roof where two sea caves met, one from the north and the other from the west. Water enters the bowl at high tide, and during storms its churning and foaming . . . — Map (db m52157) HM
Below you is the spectacular Devils Punch Bowl which was formed when the roof over two sea caves collapsed. You can watch the ocean waves crash through openings in the sandstone, continually sculpting this unusual formation.
At high tide, the . . . — Map (db m92643) HM
Peter Skene Ogden, leading a party of Hudsons Bay Company trappers, camped near here on October 10, 1828. On this Ogdens fifth and final expedition into the "Snake Country," he started on September 22, from Fort Nez Perce (Walla Walla). From here, . . . — Map (db m63024) HM
Founded in 1840 by Methodist missionaries,
Became territorial capital in 1852,
An incorporated city in 1857,
Permanent capital of Oregon in 1864.
W. D. Pugh designed this city hall. Under construction in 1893.Marion County Centennial . . . — Map (db m63966) HM
Platted March 8, 1871 by H. L. Turner with the building of the railroad to California. Site of Turner Flouring Mills. First rural free delivery in Oregon made from the Turner Post Office, October 16, 1897, under George F. Robertson, Postmaster. — Map (db m63938) HM
The prominent monolith across the river was named Beacon Rock by Lewis and Clark, November 2, 1805. It marked the beginning of tidewater for early river explorers who used it for a landmark in their journeys. The Indians say that when the Chinook . . . — Map (db m34643) HM
Captain George Vancouver in a voyage of exploration to the Northwest coast of America ordered by the British Admiralty Office assigned Lieutenant William Robert Broughton, Commander of H.M.S. Chatham, to explore the navigable waters of the Columbia . . . — Map (db m34495) HM
Stretching from rainforest to desert, and from sea level to mountains, the Columbia Gorge provides a wide range of habitat for plants and animals. The Wahkeena Creek watershed is only one example of a unique gorge ecosystem.
Wahkeena Falls. . . . — Map (db m91210) HM
A tireless leader in Columbia River development, park enhancement, preservation of scenic beauty, establishment of Vista House, re-creation of the Lewis and Clark Trail, and countless other good works, he left his mark on the Oregon Country, and we . . . — Map (db m91293) HM
Chief Engineer, Scenic Columbia River Highway, 1913–1915.
Pioneer Builder of hard-surface roads. His genius overcame tremendous obstacles, extending and replacing the early trail through the Columbia River gorge with a highway of poetry . . . — Map (db m86445) HM
Originator of ocean going log rafts. Sponsor of the Columbia River Highway. Benefactor of Benson Polytechnic School. Donor of the Benson Tract containing Multnomah Falls, Wahkeena Falls and Benson State Park.
Patern and casting by Benson High . . . — Map (db m91212) HM
Classic symbol of the Columbia River Gorge, Vista House beckons travelers to Crown Point to revel in an extravaganza of water, cliff, and sky. Samuel C. Lancaster, design engineer of the Historic Columbia River Highway, envisioned this outcropping . . . — Map (db m86662) HM
Visited by over two million people a year, Multnomah Falls is the second-highest year-round waterfall in the United States and one of 77 on the Oregon side of the Columbia River Gorge. Multnomah Creek, created by underground springs from Larch . . . — Map (db m91119) HM
German immigrant Frank Dekum amassed a fortune during Portlands explosive early history with his confectionery business. The massive Dekum Building, completed in 1892 at a cost exceeding $300,000, used exclusively Oregon materials in its . . . — Map (db m1155) HM
This property has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places
by the Untied States Department of the Interior
National Parks Service
and is subject to the provisions of the
Oregon Special Assessment Program
ORS . . . — Map (db m56542) HM
This short trail leads to the Willamette Stone, the surveyor's monument that is the point of origin for all public land surveys in Oregon and Washington. The landmark was established on June 4, 1851 by John B. Preston, Oregon's first Surveyor . . . — Map (db m38400) HM
Within a year of the US entering World War II, more than 160,000 people moved to Portland — a city of only 360,000 — to work in Home Front industries. Industrialist Henry Kaiser's three shipyards employed the most workers. To house his . . . — Map (db m38410) HM
On October 30, 1792 off the point in the Columbia River where the Sandy empties its waters, the boat crew from the H.M.S. Chatham (Vancouver's Voyages) were the first white men to sight the snowclad peak which Lt. Wm. R. Broughton named Mt. Hood in . . . — Map (db m38388) HM
June 25, 1950 Korea July 27, 1953
Dedicated to the memory of these men and women from Oregon so their sacrifice will never be forgotten
Oh, could our fallen brothers
know the honor they helped bring
to God, . . . — Map (db m11979) HM
These Carillon Bells
in honor and loving memory of
were donated by the Oregon State
Federation of Garden Clubs, Inc.
June [The Oregon Federation of . . . — Map (db m11973) HM
The Oregon Trail crossed the hazardous Deschutes River at this point by floating the prairie schooners and swimming the livestock. An island at the river mouth was often utilized when the water was high and the ford dangerous. Pioneer women and . . . — Map (db m34575) HM
Constructed in 1907, Henry Schwarz and Frank Greulich named the building The Empire Block for their business, the Empire Meat Market. At the dissolution of the Schwarz and Greulich partnership in 1916, the building was purchased by Frank Greulich . . . — Map (db m96873) HM
The decisive engagement of the Bannock War was fought on the foothills of Battle Mountain, July 8, 1878. The war - a protest against white encroachment, and the last major uprising in the Pacific Northwest-was started by Bannock Indians, but Egan, a . . . — Map (db m96868) WM
Wallowa Valley, summer homeland of the Joseph Band Nez Perce, was part of the expansive Nez Perce Reservation established by the treaty of 1855. Upon discovery of gold in the region, the U.S. eliminated the reservation in the Wallowas in 1863. The . . . — Map (db m71746) HM
Across Horse Creek from you is “Monument Ridge” named for its mysterious stone monuments that are visible with binoculars. It is not known exactly who made them or why. Perhaps they were built to mark grazing areas or piled up by a . . . — Map (db m71728) HM
MONUMENT RIDGE, the table-like mountain on the horizon, derived its name from rock monuments–like the one here–built years ago by sheepherders to mark boundaries of their grazing lands. Two can be seen on the slopes of the far ridge.
. . . — Map (db m71727) HM
"When great obstacles present, and threaten to keep them back, their hearts swell, and they push forward" Washington Irving An exploration party crossed this divide between the Snake and the Imnaha in winter. Capt. B.L.E. Bonneville and three . . . — Map (db m92932) HM
We all need shelter: plants, animals and people. For countless ages many have found what they need here in the Imnaha. The canyon walls protect against harsh weather and the river provides its life-giving waters to the dry landscape. The Imnaha . . . — Map (db m71744) HM
In May, 1877, Chief Joseph gathered his band of Nez Perce Indians from their winter villages along the Imnaha. Instead of heading for their customary summering country in the Wallowa Valley, they began their famous fighting retreat from General O.O. . . . — Map (db m71743) HM
Plunging to a depth of a mile and a half and averaging 10 miles in width, Hells Canyon is the deepest gorge in North America. Its walls are an open book, revealing four significant chapters in the geologic history of the Pacific Northwest.
. . . — Map (db m71729)
In 1975, Congress created the 652,488 - acre Hells Canyon National Recreation Area. It is managed by the USDA Forest Service under the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest.
Hells Canyon National Recreation Area offers a variety of exceptional . . . — Map (db m71732)
The geologic story of Hells Canyon National Recreation Area is a tale of fire and water...of molten lava erupted from volcanoes and oozed through cracks in the earth...of rushing water, erosion and sedimentation...of building up and wearing . . . — Map (db m71730)
Where many exciting adventures await you! Explore the rugged canyons, climb the spectacular mountains or ride the Snake Rivers rapids in Hells Canyon National Recreation Area.
In Oregon, forested draws and grassy benches plunge 7,000 feet . . . — Map (db m71731)
Before a network of dams controlled the Columbia River it was a raging torrent. Here at Wyam Falls, known today as Celilo Falls, a vertical drop of more than 20 feet and sheer basalt bluffs on either shore forced the river into seething, boiling . . . — Map (db m34581) HM
The President of the United States, in the name of Congress, has awarded the Medal of Honor
Loren R. Kaufman
Sergeant First Class, US Army
Born: July 27, 1923 at The Dalles, Oregon * Entered Service: The Dalles, Oregon . . . — Map (db m63293) WM
Oregon Medal of Honor Recipients
Allworth, Edward C. CPT, U.S. Army Dahl, Larry G. SP4, U.S. Army High, Frank C. PVT, U.S. Army Holcomb, John Noble SGT, U.S. Army Jackson, Arthur J. PFC U.S. Marine Corp Kaufman, Loren R. SFC, U.S. . . . — Map (db m81197) WM
Born at Frankfort, Indiana in 1841, Julia came west with her parents in 1853.
She married Albert Henderson in 1858 and for many years they lived in nearby Fossil.
She died August 11, 1928.
Since 1900 the park has been the site for the . . . — Map (db m101959) HM
Straining to scent a water source, searching for a tender leaf, sensing immediate danger – to live in this near-desert today, mule deer, coyotes, quail, and humans must possess special skills and abilities. Without them they cross the . . . — Map (db m71701)
Volcanic ash can be gentle and fine enough to preserve a leafs structure in great detail. Nearby 34 million-year-old “Bridge Creek Flora” fossils reveal many species of an ancient, hardwood forest. This forest had a blend of trees found . . . — Map (db m71700)
Northern Paiute Indians and a few mountain men were the only residents of the John Day Country before 1860. Cavalry troops passed through the John Day River drainage looking for the best route from the Columbia River to Fort Boise. One company, . . . — Map (db m71675) HM
Clues exposed at the surface help the nearby hills tell their story. Most were formed from abundant volcanic ash-falls and floods of lava over many millions of years. About five million years ago the land-building slowed and erosion cut down into . . . — Map (db m71673)
Through this dry land in 1865 rode a pioneer minister and amateur scientist named Thomas Condon. It was the first of his many visits. Imagine his reaction when he discovered the imprints of countless fossilized leaves near these Painted Hills, . . . — Map (db m71698) HM
The ground before you is like a puzzle. A long streak of color breaks off, then seems to continue in the next hill, but at a different level. To connect the pieces, look for similar color, thickness, and sequence in a series of layers.
Ash and . . . — Map (db m71699)
The 90-ton glacial erratic rock at the top of this 1/4-mile-long trail is a stranger from a distant location—it was transported here thousands of years ago on an iceberg in the wake of a cataclysmic flood.
During the last Ice Age, . . . — Map (db m68913)
This was the home of Dr. Henry John Minthorn
a beloved physician of this community.
Herbert Hoover lived here with him from 1884 to 1889.
Hoover - Minthorn House
Listed on the . . . — Map (db m96136) HM