HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Quebec Markers
Quebec, Lachine — Robert Cavelier de la Salle(1643 - 1687)
French Fonda Lachine, 1667 Rebatit le Fort Frontenac, 1675. Pionnier de la navigation sur les Grands Lacs. Ses explorations permirent à la France d'étendre son domaine jusqu'à l'embouchure du Mississippi

English Founded Lachine, 1667, rebuilt Fort Frontenac, 1675. Pioneer navigator on the Great Lakes. By his explorations he enabled France to extend its domain to the mouth of the Mississippi. — Map (db m77759) HM

Quebec (Acton MRC), Acton Vale — Acton Vale Station
The design of this building is based on a standard plan used by the Grand Trunk Railway Company to build several stations between 1895 and 1905 on the line connecting Montreal to Portland, Maine. This plan features a variety of structural shapes, including a high-pitched dormer window, a turret with multipaned windows, and a bellcast roof, which together produce a strikingly pituresque effect. Formed in 1853, the Grand Trunk Company became part of the Canadian National after the latter was created in 1919. — Map (db m74535) HM
Quebec (Argenteuil MRC), Saint-André-d'Argenteuil — Carillon Canal
French text appears above English text. Designed and constructed by the Royal Engineers. Commenced in 1826, completed in 1833, enlarged from 1871 to 1882. One of the canals which, by way of the St. Lawrence and the Ottawa, Rideau, and Cataraqui rivers, connect Montreal with Ottawa and Kingston. — Map (db m75655) HM
Quebec (Bas-Saint-Laurent (region)), Grand-Métis — Les Jardins de Métis
Created by Elsie Reford between 1926 and 1958, these gardens are an inspired example of the English art of the garden. Woven into a natural setting, a series of gardens display perennials, trees and shrubs. A crab-apple orchard, a rock garden and the Long Walk are also the legacy of this dedicated horticulturist. A microclimate favours the growth of species found nowhere else in Canada, while the stream and winding paths add to the charm. Elsie Reford's beloved blue poppies and lilies still . . . — Map (db m80669) HM
Quebec (Bellechasse MRC), Sainte-Claire — Sainte-Claire (Dorchester)
The parish of Sainte-Claire is in the seigniory granted to Louis Jolliet, the discoverer of the Mississipi, by Frontenac, as Governor, and Bochart Champigny, as Intendant, on the 30th of April, 1697. French translation is to the left of the English text above. Map (db m74883) HM
Quebec (Brome-Missisquoi MRC), Dunham — First Women's Institute
To commemorate the founding at Dunham, January 27th, 1911, of the first women's institute in the province of Quebec. French text Pour commémorer la foundation à Dunham le 27 janvier 1911, du premier "Women's Institute" dans la province de Québec. Map (db m75159) HM
Quebec (Brome-Missisquoi MRC), Frelighsburg — Battle of Eccles Hill
The Canadian volunteers and home guards here repulsed the Fenian invaders on the 25th May 1870. — Map (db m74541) HM
Quebec (Brome-Missisquoi MRC), Knowlton — The Old Academy
French text La "Old Academy", bâtie en 1854 (St. Paul's Church High School), agrandie en 1867, et cede à la Société d'Histoire de Brome comme musée, pour honorer la mémoire de Paul-H. Knowlton, qui avait donné le terrain et le premier corps de logis. The Old Academy built 1854 as St. Paul's Church High School, enlarged 1867, transferred 1903 to Brome Historical Society for museum, as a memorial to Paul Holland Knowlton, donor of the land and original building. — Map (db m75161) HM
Quebec (Brome-Missisquoi MRC), Knowlton — Tibbits Hill School
Old south schoolhouse Tibbits Hill built 1844-1846 on site of squared log one erected 1827. Set up as a school museum with aid of Association of Protestant Teachers in their centennial year 1964. — Map (db m74542) HM
Quebec (Brome-Missisquoi MRC), Saint-Ignace-de-Stanbridge (Mystic) — Grange Alexander-Solomon-Walbridge
Construite en 1882 par l'entrepreneur Alexander Solomon Walbridge, cette grange-étable est formée de douze murs pignons disposés autour d'un espace central. Le bâtiment comporte deux niveaux: un premier qui servait d'étable et un second, divisé en plusieurs espaces, dont des tasseries, le tout organisé autour d'une plaque tournante destinée à faciliter l'engrangement des récoltes. Ce bâtiment est la plus ancienne grange polygonale du Québec et la seule qui ait douze côtés. Son astucieux . . . — Map (db m77846) HM
Quebec (Brome-Missisquoi MRC), Stanbridge East — In honour of Capt. Caleb Tree
In honour of Capt. Caleb Tree who came to Canada in 1796 from New- Hampshire, settled on this farm and along with other pioneers founded Stanbridge East in 1801. En l'honneur des pionniers de Stanbridge Est. Erected in 1966 — Map (db m74536) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — A Golf Club on the Plains of AbrahamUn club de golf sur les plaines d’Abraham — (1874-1915)
English: When the British troops went back to England in 1871, they left free their drill field, then known as “Cove Fields”. The rising popularity of golf in the province of Quebec prompted fans of the game to establish the Royal Quebec Golf Club (1874) and occupy the vacant land. A course was laid out with fourteen holes, four of which golfers would play twice to come up the regulation number of eighteen. A round of the course was not simply a relaxing diversion, as . . . — Map (db m80879) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Albert H.G. Grey
. . . — Map (db m81230) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Artillery Park: The Barracks SectorParc de l’Artillerie: Le secteur de casernement
English: Artillery Park opens its doors to you! Closed to civilians for 250 years, it served as a barrack for French and English troops before welcoming Canada’s first-ever munitions factory. Come and experience the atmosphere of this historic site and admire the city’s oldest barracks! Artillery Park is located in a strategic position on Québec’s promontory. As you visit the site, you will be able to appreciate the quality of the fortifications built by the French in the 18th . . . — Map (db m81400) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Augustin-Norbert Morin1803-1865
French: Au cours des années 1850 vécut ici Augustin-Norbert Morin, né le 13 octobre 1803 à Saint-Michel-de-Bellechasse. Avocat, journaliste et homme politique, il fut tour à tour fondateur du journal La Minerve en 1826, orateur à l’Assemblée législative de la province du Canada de 1848 à 1851, puis chef du gouvernement de 1851 à 1855, conjointement avec Francis Hincks, puis Allan MacNab. Fervent patriote, Augustin-Norbert Morin fut, avec Louis-Joseph Parineau, le principal . . . — Map (db m80761) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Bragg’s 28th Foot,Le 28ᵉ Regiment de Bragg,
. . . — Map (db m80919) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Calixa Lavallée(1842-1891)
English: Calixa Lavallée was one of the first Canadian musicians to win an international reputation. He studied in Montréal and Paris and was, at various times, an itinerant musician, military bandsman, choral and orchestra conductor, teacher and composer in both his homeland and the United States. While resident in this house, Lavallée was asked to write an anthem for the Saint Jean-Baptiste Day celebrations of 1880. His composition, to words by Judge Adolphe-Basile Routhier, was . . . — Map (db m81345) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Charles Aubert de la Chesnaye(1632-1702)
English: The man who became New France's leading businessman arrived at Québec in 1655. Driven by a desire for place and profit he began in the import trade, but his interests expanded to include all aspects of the colony's economic life: the fur trade, commerce and land speculation, agriculture, shipping and the fisheries. From his home and store on the rue du Sault-au-Matelot, La Chesnaye managed enterprises extending from the Pays d'en haut to the Gaspé, and including several . . . — Map (db m81498) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Chemin Royal
English: On the 5th August, 1734, Lanouillier de Boiscler, Chief Roadmaster of New France, started from Quebec by coach for Montreal thus officially inaugurating the King's Highway in Canada. French: Le 5 août 1734, Lanouillier de Boiscler, grand voyer de la Nouvelle-France, partit de Québec pour Montréal en voiture, inaugurant ainsi officiellement le grand chemin royal de la colonie. — Map (db m80777) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Chief Warrant Officier Jean Couture, OMN, CDAdjudant Chef Jean Couture, OMN, CD — First Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM) of the Royal 22ᵉ Régiment
English: This statue of Chief Warrant Officier Jean-Couture, the first senior non-commissioned officier having been Regimental Sergeant Major in 1958, reflects the tradition of excellence, pride and professionalism of non-commissioned officiers of the Royal 22ᵉ Régiment. The non-commissioned officier plays a pivotal role between order and execution; he is the cement that holds the unit into a coherent whole. The value of integrity, courage and loyalty of the body of . . . — Map (db m80839) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Convent of the Nuns of the Congregation
English: On this site stood the convent of the Nuns of the Congregation, established by Sister Bourgeoys, in 1692, and occupied by the said religious community up to 1843, when it removed to St.-Roch. French: Sur cet emplacement s’élevait le couvent des religieuses de la Congrégation, établi par la Soeur Bourgeoys, en 1692, et occupé jusqu’en 1843 par cette communauté, qui alors se transporte à St.-Roch. — Map (db m81526) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Diamond Jubilee of Confederation
English: Tablet placed by the Committee of the local celebration of the Diamond Jubilee of Confederation to mark the spot where the pact was signed, on October 10th, 1864. French: Inscription placée par le Comité local de la célébration du Jubilé de diamant de la Confédération, pour marquer l’endroit où le pacte fut signé le 10 octobre, 1864. — Map (db m80790) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Do You Know Joan of Arc?Connaissez-vous Jeanne d’Arc?
English: Who has not heard of this young girl who left her village at the age of 17, guided by mysterious voices? Her mission was nothing less that to drive the English out of France and bring about the coronation of Charles VII, Two years later, just as her goal was within reach, she was taken prisoner by the by the English and condemned to burn at the stake on May 30, 1431. A heroine and martyr, she became the symbol of patriotism. The First World War rekindled French nationalism, . . . — Map (db m80877) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Felix-Gabreil Marchand11ᵉ Premier Ministre du Quebec de 1897 a 1900
French: Ici vécut et mourut Félix-Gabriel Marchand, premier ministre du Québec, notaire, homme de lettres et journaliste. Il fut député du comté de Saint-Jean dès 1867. Il devint ministre dans le cabinet liberal de Joly de Lotbinière, orateur de l’assemblée législative et à partir de 1892, chef de l’opposition. En 1897, il gagna les élections générales et devint premier ministre. En 1898, sous son gouvernement, le territoire du Québec fut étendu, vers le nord, jusqu’a la rivière . . . — Map (db m81334) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — First Graveyard of QuebecLe premier cimetière de Québec
English: Within this enclosure was located the first graveyard of Quebec, where interments were made from the early days of the colony up to 1687. "This plaque, commemorating the burial here of Indians and French settlers, has been restored by Parks Canada. It was inaugurated on May 1, 1993, on the tenth anniversary of the Federation of Quebec Stem-Families, Inc." French: En cet endroit e trouvait la premier cimetière de Québec, où se firent les inhumations . . . — Map (db m80791) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — First Patent in CanadaPremier brevet d’invention
The first patent of invention was issued by the Province of Lower Canada in the Parliament Buildings which stood on this site. It was granted on the 8th June, 1824, for a washing and fulling machine in favour of Noah Cushing of Quebec French: Ici, le 8 juin 1824, en l'Hôtel du Gouvernement de la Province du Bas-Canada, fut émis le premier brevet d'invention canadien, en faveur de Noah Cushing, de Québec, inventeur d'un moulin à foulon. — Map (db m80789) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Fortifications de / of QuébecGaspard-J. Chaussegros de Léry — National Historic Civil Engineering Site
Fortifications de / of Québec English: Quebec city’s defensive system is a remarkable feat of engineering. But during the colonial period, it represents the work of a succession of engineers. French: Le système défensif de Québec illustre une oeuvre d’ingénierie remarquable. Élaboré pendant la période coloniale, il traduit les apports successifs de plusieurs ingénieurs. Gaspard-J. Chaussegros de Léry (1682-1750) English: A tribute to this . . . — Map (db m80845) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Frederick G. Todd
English: In memory of Frederick G. Todd B. 1876 - D. 1948 Landscape architect planner and designer of Battlefields Park, who brought to life the historic significance and natural beauty of the site. French: A la memoire de Frederick G. Todd 1876 - 1940 Architecte paysagiste et concepteur du plan d’aménagement du parc des champs de bataille qui a su mettre en valeur l’importance historique du site et ses . . . — Map (db m80916) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Frontenac
English: Faced Phips unflinchingly, but the scale of victory could not be turned decisively until the famous reinforcements of Carignan’s and French-Canadians marched in triumphantly along the Grande-Allée. 1690 French: Résista fièrement à Phips, mais sa victoire ne fut décisive qu’après l’arrivée des renforts de Carignan et de canadiens-français vivement acclames, dans leur marche triomphale le long de la Grande-Allée. 1690 — Map (db m80841) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — General Montgomery’s Army
The subject of these two markers is the burial of General Richard Montgomery and a number of soldiers from his army. The remains of the thirteen soldiers of General Montgomery’s Army killed in the assault of Quebec December 31, 1775 originally buried within this building are now resting under the adjacent stone Place to their memory by several American children The original stone tablet replaced by the National Society of the Sons of the American . . . — Map (db m80800) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — General Richard Montgomery
To the memory of General Richard Montgomery who fell at Pres de Ville, at the foot of Cape Diamond during the December 31, 1775 attack. The next day, his body was brought to the house of Jean Gaubert which stood on this spot, and encoffined prior to his burial. French: À la memoire du General Richard Montgomery tombe a Pres de Ville, au pied du Cap Diamant, dans l’attaque du 31 December 1775. Son corps fut transporte le lendemain à la maison de Jean Gaubert, située ici même, . . . — Map (db m80803) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Georges-Philias Vanier(1888-1967)
English: Governor General from 1959 to 1967, Vanier had a distinguished military and diplomatic career. A founder of the Royal 22e Régiment, he served with it in the First World War and was its commanding officer from 1925 to 1928. General Vanier represented Canada as military attaché to the League of Nations, Secretary to the Canadian High Commission in London, and minister to France. In 1944 he became Canada's first Ambassador to France. He was highly esteemed by his troops and . . . — Map (db m80840) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Guillaume Verrier1680-1758
English: Born in France, Verrier was Attorney General of New France and member of the Council of Quebec for thirty years from 1728 until his death. From 1735 onwards, many who were te become successful men of law benefitted from the courses of instruction he offered. A noted bibliophile he assembled an excellent library of some 4000 volumes. He died in Quebec. French: Né en France, Verrier fut procureur général de laNouvelle-France près le Conseil supérieur de Québec . . . — Map (db m81347) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Guy Carleton
. . . — Map (db m81499) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Here, on the very eve of victoryAu moment où la victoire lui était assurée
English: Here, on the very eve of victory, Wolfe received his mortal wound, and at once was carried back to where he died victorious. 13th September 1759. French: Au moment où la victoire lui était assurée, Wolfe reçut ici un blessure mortelle et fut transporté à l’arrière, où il mourut victorieux. Le 13 septembre 1759. — Map (db m80918) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Home of the Quebec Chronicle-TelegraphUn palais de la presse à Québec
English: Designed in 1907 by Georges-Émile Tanguay, the architect of City Hall, this edifice was considered strikingly modern in its day. It features an imposing corner entrance and a dome turret that evokes the bell tower of the neighbouring cathedral. Built to house the Daily Telegraph, founded in 1875, it was home to the Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph from 1925 to 1949. Quebec City’s only English-language newspaper continues to be published to this day. . . . — Map (db m80785) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Hôtel Chevalier
French: En 1752, le négociant Jean-Baptiste Chevalier fit construire ce hôtel particulier qui lui servit de domicile, de maison d’affaires et d’entrepôt. L’hôtel fut converti en auberge, vers la fin du XVIIIᵉ siècle, sous le nom de “London Coffee House”. En 1960, l’état entreprit sa restauration et celle de deux maisons voisines datant du XVIIᵉ siècle. English translation: In 1752, the merchant Jean-Baptiste Chevalier built this mansion . . . — Map (db m81539) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Hôtel-Dieu de QuébecL’Hôtel-Dieu de Québec
English: Founded on 16 August 1637 by the Duchess of Aiguillon and the religious order of the Augustines Hospitalières of Dieppe, the Hôtel-Dieu de Québec was the first permanent hospital established north of Mexico. As soon as they arrived in Canada in 1639, the sisters dedicated themselves to the relief of human suffering. The stone walls of Hôtel-Dieu still enclose a hospital, a monastery and a church, as well as a garden and a cemetery, all evidence of the life of this once . . . — Map (db m80783) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — In Memory of Our Fallen SoldiersLa mémoire des combattants
English: Unveiled on July 1, 1924, the Cross of Sacrifice originally honoured the memory of the Canadian soldiers killed during the Great War of 1914-1918. Over 66,000 lost their lives in the conflict. A handful of earth from Vimy, the site of Canada’s most decisive involvement in the war, was placed under the base of the monument. As subsequent conflicts arose over the years, more inscriptions were added to the monument to commemorate the sacrifice of soldiers lost in the Second . . . — Map (db m80846) HM WM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Jonathan Sewell
English: Thirty years Chief Justice of Lower Canada, Adviser to Governor Craig, Leader of the “Chateau Clique”, Early advocate of Confederation, Man of culture and patron of the arts. Born Cambridge, Mass 6th June, 1766 Died in this house, 12th November, 1839 French: Juge en chef du Bas-Canada durant trente ans, Conseiller du Gouverneur Craig, Chef de la “Clique du Château”, Protagoniste de la Confédération, Homme de grande culture et . . . — Map (db m80818) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Joseph Bouchette1774-1841
English: Born at Quebec, Bouchette rose rapidly in the ranks of the Public Service to become, in 1804, Surveyor General of the Province. In carrying out the responsibilities of this office, he travelled throughout Upper and Lower Canada. In 1815 he published in London his Description topographique de la Province du Bas-Canada. Despite the opposition of some members of the Quebec Assembly, he published, in 1832, at his own expense, two additional works of great significance, . . . — Map (db m81318) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Kent HouseMaison du Duc de Kent
English: D’Ailleboust, Governor of New France, occupied this house in 1648. De Ramezay here signed the capitulation of Quebec in 1759. The Duke of Kent, father of Queen Victoria, resided here from 1792 to 1794. French: D’Ailleboust, gouverneur de la Nouvelle-France, habita cette maison 1748. De Ramezay ye signa la capitulation de Québec in 1759. Le duc de Kent, père de la reine Victoria y vécut de 1792 à 1794. — Map (db m81260) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — La Batterie Royale
French: Sous le règne de Louis VIV, en l’année 1691, Frontenac, gouverneur général de la Nouvelle-France fait construire en ce lieu appelé Pointe-aux-Roches un plate-forme qui doit recevoir une batterie de canons nécessaire à la défense de Québec. En 1763, ne servant plus à des fins militaires, la batterie est transformée en débarcadère. Au XIXᵉ siècle avec l’expansion du port et de la basse-ville, elle disparaît peu à peu sous les constructions et les remblayages . . . — Map (db m81531) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Le premier monastère d’Ursulines
French: Le 1er août 1639, Marie de l’Incarnation, Ursuline de Tours en France, et ses deux compagnes fondent à cet emplacement le premier monastère d’Ursulines en Nouvelle-France. Dans une maison concédée par la compagnie des Cent-Associés, elles accueilleront jusqu’à dix-huit enfants pensionnaires. Après le départ des Ursulines pour la haute-ville en 1742, les Augustines, arrivées en même temps que les Ursulines, occupent à leur tour cette maison. 1639 — 1989 . . . — Map (db m81536) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Le Vielle Prison de Québec(The Old Quebec Prison) — (Morrin College)
English: This is the first prison in Canada to reflect the principles of John Howard, a British reformer who believed that cellular confinement, work, and education could rehabilitate criminals. Designed by local architect François Baillairgé and constructed between 1808 and 1814, the building was among the first in Québec to be inspired by the design principles of British classicism. With the completion of a new prison in 1861, this building was sold to Dr. Joseph Morrin and . . . — Map (db m80776) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Legislature of the Province of CanadaLe Parlement de la Province du Canada
English: Between 1850 and 1866, the Capital of the Province of Canada alternated between Toronto and Québec. In 1852, Parliament met in the Legislative Chambers of Lower Canada on the site of the old Bishop’s Palace, now Montmorency Park. When these buildings burnt in 1854, the legislators took up temporary quarters in the Music Hall on St. Louis Street until 1856. Pending the completion of the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa, sessions were held in newly built quarters in Montmorency . . . — Map (db m80787) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Les Conferences de Québec de 1943 et 1944The Québec Conferences of 1943 and 1944
French: En 1943 et 1944 le president des États-Unis Franklin Delano Roosevelt et le premier ministre de Grande Bretagne Winston Spencer Churchill dirigèrent à Quebec les deux conferences qui déterminèrent lisse de la deuxième Guerre mondiale en Europe et dans le Pacifique. Ne serait ce pas magnifique si l’histoire pouvait raconter que c’est à Québec que l’on a assure la liberation de la France?» William Lyon MacKenzie King Premier ministre du Canada Québec 1943 . . . — Map (db m80758) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Les filles du roy(‘Daughters of the King’)
French: Entre 1663 et 1973, plus de 770 filles du roy, venues de France, débarquèrent à Québec. Marguerite Bourgeoys, fondatrice de la Congrégation de Notre-Dame, désigne sous ce nom les jeune filles, bénéficiaires d’une dot royale, qui viennent en Novelle-France pour y «prendre mari ]» et contribuer au peuplement de la colonie. Elles y sont attendues. En 1663, li y a plus de 700 hommes célibataires pour 65 filles à marier. En quelques années, la population de la colonie . . . — Map (db m81532) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Les Premiers Colons de Québec(The first colonists of Québec)
Ils ont été à la peine; qu’ils soient à l’honneur: English translation: They lived in hardship, and are now in the place of honor: Louis Hébert 1617 Marie Rollet • Guillaume Couillard 1618 Marie-Guillemette Hébert • Abraham Marin — Marguerite Langlois • Nicolas Marsolet — Marie Le Barbier • Nicolas Pivert — Marguerite Lesage • Pierre Desportes — Françoise Langlois • Etienne Jonquest — Anne Hébert • Olivier Le Tardif — Louise Couillard • . . . — Map (db m81495) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Louis Jolliet1645-1700
English: Native of Quebec. With Marquette he discovered and explored the Mississippi, 1673. French: Natif de Québec. Avec Marquette il découvrit et explora le Mississippi, 1673. — Map (db m80798) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Louis Jolliet HouseMaison Louis Jolliet
English: This house was built in 1683 by architect Baillif for Louis Jolliet, discoverer of the Mississippi, who occupied it until his death in 1700. A subterranean passage led to the cul-de-sac cove. French: Construite en 1683 pour Louis Jolliet découvreur du Mississippi qui l’occupa jusqu’à sa mort en 1700. Cette maison fut restaurée en 1946. Une voûte souterraine s’ouvrait sur l’anse du cul-de-sac. — Map (db m80786) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Louis-Joseph de Montcalm1712-1759
French: À la suite de blessures reçues lors de la bataille des plaines d’Abraham, Louis-Joseph de Montcalm, marquis de Montcalm, lieutenant général des armées française en Nouvelle-France, décède à l’aube du 14 septembre 1759 dans la maison du chirurgien André Arnoux jadis construite sur ce site. Né en 1712 au château de Candiac, près de Nîmes, dans le sud de la France, Montcalm débute sa carrière militaire à l’âge de 20 ans. Nomme maréchal de camp en 1756, il arrive à Québec le . . . — Map (db m81261) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Maison Baillargeon
French: Habitée par trois générations d’une même famille, cette maison a été construite en 1860 selon les plans de l’architecte Charles Baillairgé pour le docteur Pierre Baillargeon (1812-1891), médecin, dentiste et sénateur. Il était le frère de Mgr. Charles-François Baillargeon (1798-1870), seizième évêque et troisième archevêque de Québec. Tous deux étaient natifs de l’Île-aux-Grues. Le fils de Pierre Baillargeon, Jules (1856-1945), importateur de vins, et son épouse, . . . — Map (db m81333) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Maison François-Xavier Garneau
English: In this house, François-Xavier Garneau, the historian of Canada, lived for several years and here he died on the 3rd of February, 1866. French: En cette maison résida plusieurs années, et mourut le 3 février 1866, François-Xavier Garneau, l’historien du Canada. — Map (db m81346) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Maison Jean-Demers
French: Jean Demers ou Dumets, de Dieppe, entreprit la construction de cette maison en 1689. Les maçons Le Rouge, Reonault et Charpentier y travaillèrent. Elle a été habitée par la famille Demers jusqu’en 1764. Le carré de la maison a résisté aux bombardements de la flotte anglaise en 1759. La charpente à pannes de la toiture date de 1764. La maison contient encore quatre foyers d’origine et des plafonds anciens à poutres cordonnées. De Jean Demers et de Jeanne Védie, son . . . — Map (db m80801) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Martello Towers / Tours MartelloMartello Tower 2 / Tour Martello 2
English: In the early 19th century, the British feared that the Americans, after gaining their independence (1776), would attempt to annex Upper and Lower Canada. In response to this threat, Gother Mann, as commanding officier of the Royal Engineers in Canada (1785-1804), urged the building of towers at Quebec to prevent an invader from approaching the existing fortifications. Ralph Bruyères, Mann’s successor, began construction of four towers in the summer of 1808. James Craig, . . . — Map (db m80880) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Martello Towers in Quebec / Tours Martello de QuébecMartello Tower 1 / Tour Martello 1
English: In the early 19th century, the British were afraid that the Americans, having won their independence in 1776, would try to annex Upper and Lower Canada. In the face of this threat, Gother Mann, Canada’s chief engineer (1785-1804), recommended a new defensive system for Quebec City that involved, among other things, occupying the Heights of Abraham. In view of the urgency of the situation, the colony’s governor, James Craig, authorized part of the work without waiting for . . . — Map (db m80886) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Michel Boisvert, SJFondateur de la Maison Dauphine
French: En 1992, le jésuite Michel Boisvert (1944-2006) fonde ici la Maison Dauphine, qui offre un accueil inconditionnel aux jeunes de la rue en leur assurant protection, aide et soutien. C’est pendant qu’il exerce son ministère au Centre de spiritualité Manrèse que le père Boisvert, appuyé d’un groupe de laïcs, jette les bases de Oeuvres de la Maison Dauphine. Homme de grande écoute et d’action, visionnaire, il développe un fil de ans, avec ses partenaires, une gamme de . . . — Map (db m81335) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Monseigneur Joseph-Clovis K.-Laflamme1849-1910
Homme de science et homme de foi, monseigneur Laflamme est considéré comme le premier géologue canadien-français. Né à Saint-Anselme de Dorchester, le 19 septembre 1849, il fut ordonné prêtre en 1872 et reçut un doctorat en théologie en 1873. De 1870 à 1909, Mgr Laflamme a enseigné la géologie à l’université Laval, dont il fut le secrétaire de 1884 à 1893, le doyen de la Faculté des arts de 1891 à 1908 et le recteur de 1893 à 1899. Il fut l’auteur du premier manuel de géologie écrite en . . . — Map (db m81493) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Montcalm
English: defeated here received his mortal wound 13th September 1759 French: vaincu blessé à mort ici le 13 septembre 1759 — Map (db m80888) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — National Eucharistic Congress
English: The first National Eucharistic Congress was duly solemnised on the these historic plains in June, 1938, when the descendants of ancestral foes met as fraternal friends. French: Sur ces plaines historiques se déroulèrent, en juin, 1938. Les solennités du premier congrès eucharistique national, où fraternisèrent les descendants des adversaires de jadis. — Map (db m81232) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Naval Brigades Review
English: Unique in universal history, the French, American and British naval brigades at the tercentenary review in 1908 marched together as friends across the very ground for which their predecessors fought. French: Fait unique dans l’histoire du monde! À la revue du troisième centenaire en 1908, les brigades navales anglaises, françaises et américaines défilèrent ensemble, en amies, sur le même terrain que se disputèrent pendent si longtemps leur devanciers. — Map (db m81231) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Notre-Dame-des-Victoires
French: Notre-Dame-des-Victoires construite en 1688 nommée ainsi à la suite du siège de Phipps et du désastre de la flotte de Walker elle est la plus ancienne église de pierre du Québec English translation: Notre-Dame-des-Victoires Built in 1688 Named after defeat of Phipps’ sieige and the disaster to Walker’s fleet It is the oldest stone church in Québec — Map (db m81529) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — O Canada!
English: This glorious national anthem, verse by Sir Adolphe Routhier, music by Calixa Lavallée, was sung at the First Congrès Catholique des Canadiens-Français, on the Fête de Saint-Jean-Baptiste, 24th June, 1880. French: Célèbre hymne national, paroles de Sir Adolphe Routhier, musique de Calixa Lavallée, fut exécuté pour la première fois lors du premier Congrès Catholique des Canadiens-Français, le jour de la Saint-Jean-Baptiste, le 24 juin 1880. — Map (db m80849) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Pavillon Charles-Baillairgé
English: This building was constructed between 1861 and 1871 according to plans by architect Charles Baillairgé (1826-1906), whose name it now bears. Until 1970, it served as Quebec City’s prison. The building’s outstanding restoration was completed in 1991, when it became part of the museum. The Charles Baillairgé pavillon was classified as a historical monument in 1997. French: Ce bâtiment a été construite de 1861 à 1871 d’après les plans de l’architecte Charles . . . — Map (db m81229) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Pierre Dugua de Monsv. 1560 - 1628
French: Nomme lieutenant général de la Nouvelle France en 1603, le sieur de Mons est chargé par Henri IV de fonder une colonie permanente en Amérique du Nord en échange du privilège exclusif de la traite des fourrures. Après deux tentatives infructueuses en Acadie en 1604 et 1605, de Mons se tourne vers la vallée du Saint-Laurent. En 1608, il donne à Samuel de Champlain le mandat de fonder Québec et lui fournit tous les pouvoirs et le soutien matériel et financier nécessaire . . . — Map (db m81528) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Premier Hôpital au CanadaFist Hospital in Canada
English: The Hotel-Dieu of Quebec, founded on the 16th August, 1637 by the Duchesse d’Aiguillon and the Augustines Hospitalieres de Dieppe, is the first hospital established in America, north of Mexico. Here, ever since their arrival in 1639, the Augustines have ministered to alleviate human suffering French: L’Hôtel-Dieu de Québec, fondé 16 août 1637, par la Duchesse d’Aiguillon et les Augustines Hospitalieres de Dieppe, est le premier hôpital établi en Amérique au . . . — Map (db m80782) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Premier Hôtel de Ville
French: C’est ici que se trouve, entre 1840 et 1896, le premier hôtel de ville permanent de la ville de Québec. Le conseil municipal y siège, sauf de 1848 à 1851, période durant laquelle il tient se réunions dans l’immeuble du Parlement du Bas-Canada, côte de la Montagne. Construite entre 1795 et 1797 par les loyaliste Thomas Aston Coffin, cette maison devient en 1816 la propriété de Thomas Dunn, juge, homme politique et d’affaires. Son fils, William, la cédera à la Ville. . . . — Map (db m81320) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Protecting the Upper TownProtéger la haute-ville
English: The promontory on which Québec is perched offered a natural defense against attackers. But its west flank, which gave way to open countryside, was vulnerable. Enormous sums of money would be spent to protect this side of the town. In 1690, Governor Frontenac hastily put up a front line of defence to protect the western flank from William Phip’s British soldiers who sailed from Boston. This defense work was replaced by 1693, by a more elaborate fortification designed to . . . — Map (db m81436) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Quebec Boer War Memorial
Not by the power of commerce, art or pen, shall our great empire stand; nor has it stood; but by the noble deeds of noble men, heroic lives, and heroes’ outpoured blood. For Empire Canada Quebec Major J.H.C. Ogilvy, D.S.O., R.C.A., R.C.R., S.A.C., Gordon Highlanders • Sergeant J.F. Cooper, 8.R.R. • PTE. J. DeFoe, R.C.A., R.C.R. • Corporal B. Withey, R.C.A., R.C.R. • Private J. Curphy, Civilian, R.C.R. • Private H. Forest, 61st, R.C.R. • Private L. La Rue, 87th, R.C.R. • Private . . . — Map (db m80759) WM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Quebec City Astronomical ObservatoryObservatoire Astronomique de Québec
English: The Quebec City Astronomical Observatory was officially established at the Citadel in 1850 by the Department of Marine and Fisheries in order to give the exact time to sailors on the many ships anchored at the port. In 1864, an equatorial telescope was installed in a quadrangular tower specially built for that purpose on farmland located on the Plains of Abraham. The Observatory’s director, Commander Edward David Ashe, set up an office in the farm building. A decade later, . . . — Map (db m80920) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Québec Court HouseLe palais de justice de Quebec
English: This building, designed by Eugène-Étienne Taché and other provincial Department of Public Works architects, was largely constructed between 1883 and 1887 on the site of the city's first court house. Its mansard roof, classical decoration, lively silhouette and rich stonework have contributed to its recognition as a fine example of Second Empire Style architecture. As originally planned the court house accommodated all the courts for the judicial district of Québec, making it . . . — Map (db m81255) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Québec Martello TowersLes tours Martello de Québec
English: Four Martello towers (three of which remains) were an integral part of the defences of Québec, the key to the control of the continental interior of North America. Works had been proposed in the Plains of Abraham since the early 1790s, but only after the Anglo-American crisis of 1807 did Governor Sir James Craig order construction of the towers. Built between 1808 and 1812, they were intended to prevent an attacker drawing close enough to lay siege to the walls of Québec. . . . — Map (db m80891) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Seneschal’s Court
English: This ground, which formerly extended to the east, was occupied by the Seneschal’s Court about the year 1650, became, in 1681, the property of the Recollets, who erected on it a church and monastery which were destroyed by fire in 1796. The old courthouse built at the beginning of the 19th century, was also destroyed by fire in 1873, the present edifice taking its place shortly afterwards. The adjoining Anglican Cathedral occupies part of the grounds once held by the . . . — Map (db m81257) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Site historique et archéologique de l’Habitation-Samuel-De Champlain
French: C’est sur cet emplacement stratégique, fréquenté par les Amérindiens depuis environ 3000 ans, que Samuel de Champlain fonde le comptoir de Québec, le 3 juillet 1608. Il y fait ériger une habitation en bois qui est reconstruite en pierre à partir de 1724. De 1633 à 1682, ce bâtiment sert de magasin avant d’être détruit par un incendie. L’église de Notre-Dame-des-Victoires est élevée sur une partie des vestiges de l’habitation, vers 1688. Ce lieu symbolique rappelle le . . . — Map (db m81527) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Stone Wind MillMoulin à vent en pierre
English: On this height, called Mont Carmel, there stood in 1690 a stone wind-mill whereon was mounted a battery of three guns, and which served for a redoubt during the siege of Quebec by Phips. It was called “Le Cavalier du Moulin.” French: Sur cette éminence, appelée le Mont-Carmel, il y avait en 1690 un moulin à vent en pierre, où, l’on monta une batterie de trois canons, et qui servit de redoute durant le siège de Québec par Phips. On l’appela le “Cavalier du Moulin.” — Map (db m81325) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The “Louisbourg Grenadiers”Les grenadiers de Louisbourg
English: (Grenadiers of Battalions left at Louisbourg) formed the right of the actual front, which, itself, formed the first two-deep “thin red line” the world had ever seen 13th September 1759. French: Constituaient la droite de la ligne ouverte à deux rangs formée les “habits rouges” sur toute la longueur de front, première formation du genre que le monde eût connue. 13 septembre 1759. — Map (db m81246) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The / Le Royal Roussillon,
English: commanded by Colonel Poulariez, formed the left of the actuel French Front, was first in the gallant attack, and the last in retreat before a devastating fire. 13th September 1759. French: sous le Colonel Poulariez, formant le gauche de front de l’armée française, fut le premier à l’attaque et le dernier à se replier devant un feu meurtrier. 13 septembre 1759. — Map (db m80917) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Artillery ParkLe park de l’Artillerie
English: The Artillery Park National Site of Canada commemorates 250 years of military activity in the heart of Québec’s fortifications. You can visit these buildings. Ⓐ The Arsenal Foundry, where you can examine a model of the city of Québec created in 1808. Ⓑ The Gun Carriage Warehouse, constructed in 1815. Ⓒ The Dauphine Redoubt and is magnificent Officier’ Mess. Ⓓ The Officier’s Quarters and the warm décor of the 1830’. Ⓔ The New . . . — Map (db m81396) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Congregation of the Church of Scotland
English: The Congregation of the Church of Scotland, which had Worshipped in Quebec since 1759, Pettitioned (sic) his Majesty King George III, in 1892, for the land on which this Church stands. It was erected and dedicated in 1810. French: En 1802, les membres de l’Église d’Écosse, établie à Quebec de puis- 1759, prièrent Sa Majesté George III de leur concéder le terrain sur lequel est bâtie cette église. Elle fut érigée et ouverte au culte en 1810. — Map (db m81332) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Grande Allée Drill HallLe manège de la Grande Allée
English: The Grande-Allée Drill Hall is an impressive example of a drill hall that retains its original parade square. Designed by Eugène-Étienne Taché, a Quebec public servant and architect, the stone building was completed in 1887, with an addition in 1913. The steeply pitched gable roof, conical towers and fanciful decorative details of the drill hall make it an early example of the French-inspired Chateau style. The use of the style here is unique among Canadian drill halls of this . . . — Map (db m80754) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Jacquet HouseLa Maison Jacquet
English: One of the oldest houses in Quebec, built by François Jacquet in 1675-76. Prominent citizen of Quebec City lived here, of whom Philippe Aubert de Gaspé, author of “Les Anciens Canadiens”, from 1815 to 1824. French: Construite en 1675-76 par François Jacquet, plusieurs notables Québec l’habitèrent, notamment Philippe Aubert de Gaspé, l’auteur de roman “Les Anciens Canadiens”, de 1815 à 1824. Elle est l’une des plus anciennes maisons de Québec. — Map (db m80802) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Literary and Historical Society of Quebec
English: Founded on the initiative of Lord Dalhousie in 1824 to preserve the documentary record of Canadian history, this was the first Canadian learned society. For 120 years, the Society made important contributions to higher learning as a museum and reference library, through the publication of scholarly works and original documents, and as a platform for lectures on historical and scientific subjects. It also fostered the establishment of the Geological Survey, the Public . . . — Map (db m80775) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Maillou HouseLa Maison Malliou
English: Built as a one-storey house about 1736 by Jean Maillou, architect, it was raised before 1775 to its present height by Antoine Duchesnay, Executive Councillor and extended in 1799 by John Hale, Deputy Paymaster General of the British Forces. Here, the military council, district of Quebec, held its meetings 1760-64, and Commissariat, Pay and Army Bill offices were quartered 1815-71. A good example of Québec town architecture, it was restored in 1959 by the federal government . . . — Map (db m80799) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Québec BridgeLe pont Québec
English: This is the longest span cantilever bridge in the world, stretching 548.6 meters between the main piers. Completed in 1917, it is a remarkable engineering achievement. To overcome technical problems that had caused the collapse of an earlier span and the loss of 76 lives in 1907, Canadian engineers used nickel steel as a structural material and an innovative K-truss design. Designed and built by the St. Lawrence Bridge Company of Montréal, this impressive work is universally . . . — Map (db m81248) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Québec CitadelLa Citadelle de Québec
English: In 1820 Lieutenant-Colonel Elias Walker Durnford of the Royal Engineers took charge of the construction of the Québec Citadel, which completed the city's defensive works begun during the French régime. Set on the heights of Cap-aux-Diamants, the Citadel dominated the town, harbour and the surrounding countryside. The ramparts were completed in 1831, and the major buildings within the walls about 1850. The walls also contain Frontenac's 1693 redoubt and a 1750 powder magazine. . . . — Map (db m80822) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Quebec ConferencesConferences de Quebec — 1943 and/ et 1944
English: During the Second World War, on the invitation of the Prime Minister of Canada, W.L. Mackenzie King, the President of the United States, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Winston S. Churchill, met in conference at this Citadel on two occasions (August 10 to 24, 1943 and September 11 to 16, 1944) to consider the strategy of allied victory. French: Au cours de la seconde guerre mondiale, sur l'invitation du Premier-Ministre du . . . — Map (db m80821) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Québec Garrison ClubLe cercle de la garnison de Québec
English: The Québec Garrison Club embodies the British tradition of private clubs in which the military and civil elites gather. Founded in 1879 by Canadian militia officers, the Club has hosted countless social and recreational events over the years, as well as official visits and meetings. The building was originally constructed in 1816 as the headquarters of the Royal Engineers, and was later enlarged and modified. The prestige of this Club, as well as its distinguished buildings . . . — Map (db m81233) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Siege of Québec, 1775 - 1776Le siège de Québec, 1775 - 1776
English: Here, at the Sault-au-Matelot barricade, Canadian militia and British forces under the general command of Governor Carleton repelled the attack of the American "Congressionists" on December 31, 1775. At Près-de-Ville, near the foot of the current Citadel, about thirty Québec militia and a few English sailors also turned back General Montgomery. These displays of force were critical in defending Québec against the invaders who had laid siege to the town since the fall, . . . — Map (db m81505) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Têtu HouseLa maison Têtu
English: In 1852 Cirice Têtu, a merchant, asked Charles Baillairgé, one of the finest architects in Québec, to draw up the plans for his home and to oversee its construction. The Têtu house is one of the most remarkable examples of the neoclassical town houses built at that time. Its elegant masonry is richly decorated with Greek Revival motifs which blend perfectly with the traditional architecture of the layout and facade. The Greek Revival influence continues inside, in the finely . . . — Map (db m81324) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The VII Royal Fusiliers1685
This tablet is erected by permission of his Majesty King George V, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Fusiliers, by that regiment, their sister regiment, the Canadian Fusiliers and their friends to the memory of the officiers and men of the 7th Royal Fusiliers who defended Quebec in 1775 and 1776 under Guy Carleton, and who with the help of detachments from the Royal Navy and merchant shipping, the Royal Artillery, royal emigrants, English and French-Canadian militia and volunteers, held the . . . — Map (db m81540) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Theatre de l’Estoc(1959-1968)
French: C’est ici, derrière ce mur, qu’a évolué le Théâtre de l’Estoc, chef de file de l’activité théâtrale québécoise dans les années 1960. Fondée en 1957 par trois jeunes passionnés, Pierre Fontaine, Andre Ricard et Jean-Louis Tremblay, la compagnie théâtrale se nomme d’abord Les Comédiens de l’Estoc. Elle s’établit à cet endroit en 1959, après avoir reconverti de vielles écuries en une salle de spectacle de 80 places, qui passe à 120 en 1963. Le théâtre de poche devient vite un . . . — Map (db m81259) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Ulric-Joseph Tessier1817-1892
French: Conseiller municipal du quartier Saint-Jean à partir de 1846, Ulric-Joseph Tessier est maire de Québec en 1853 et le sera durant un an. Il poursuivre les grands travaux entrepris par ses prédécesseurs: la construction de l’aqueduc, la canalisation des égouts et le macadamisage des rues. Avocat, il enseigne le droit à l’Université Laval. À ce titre, il accompagne le maire Joseph Morrin à Londres en 1856 et plaide les droits de Québec à devenir la capitale permanente du Canada. . . . — Map (db m81319) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Urselines de Quebec1658
English: This site was ceded to the “Urselines de Quebec” on October 25, 1658 by Governor Dargenson on behalf of the Compagnie de la Nouvelle France “anciennes voutes” French: Cet emplacement a été concede aux Ursulines de Québec le 25 octobre 1658 par le gouverneur Dargenson au nom de la Compagnie de la Nouvelle France (anciennes voutes) — Map (db m81497) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Wolfe and Montcalm Monument
Latin: HUJUSCE MONUMENTI IN MEMORIAM VIRORUM ILLUSTRIUM WOLFE ET MONTCALM FUNDAMENTUM P.C. GEORGIUS COMES DE HALHOUSIE IN SEPTENTRIONALIS AMERICÆ PARTIBUS AD BRITANNOS PERTINENTIBUS SUMMAM RERUM ADMINISTRANS: OPUS PER MULTOS ANNOS PRÆTERMISSUM (QUID DUCI EGREGIO CONVENIENTIUS.) AUCTORITATE PROMOVENS. EXEMPLO STIMULANS MUNIFICENTIA FOVENS DIE NOVEMBRIS XV á A.D. MDCCCXXVII GEORGIO IV BRITANNIARUM REGE. English translation: . . . — Map (db m81357) WM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Wolfe Monument
Four panels are place on this monument to General James Wolfe. English: Here died Wolfe September 13th 1759 This monument was erected by the British Army in Canada A.D. 1849 by his Excellency Lt. Gen. Sir Benjamin D’Urban, Commander of Forces, in replacement of the one erected by the Governor General Lord Aylmer, G.C.B., in 1832 and destroyed with pieces remaining under present monument. The first monument was a stone which the army rolled here . . . — Map (db m80753) HM WM
Quebec (Chaudière-Appalaches (region)), Berthier-sur-Mer — Cholera arrives in the AmericasLe choléra arrive en Amérique — 1832
English: To prevent the disease from spreading to the general population, a military detachment hurriedly set up quarantine facilities on Grosse Île. Temporary wooden buildings were constructed: initially a 40 patient hospital with two nearby structures. One of these for healthy individuals, had a capacity of 300. The other was used for monitoring suspicious cases. A simple fence separated the sick from those under observation. Today, no visible trace of these buildings . . . — Map (db m80683) HM
Quebec (Chaudière-Appalaches (region)), Berthier-sur-Mer — Doukhobor ImmigrantsDes immigrants doukhobors — 1899
English: On June 6, 1899, some 2,275 Doukhobor immigrants were forced to disembark at Grosse Île. Several cases of smallpox had been observed aboard the Lake Huron since its departure 23 days previously, thus compelling the complete disinfection of the steamer as well as the vaccination and medical surveillance of all passengers. More than 7,500 Doukhobors arrived in Canada that same year, followed by other small groups until 1912. These immigrants fled the political and . . . — Map (db m80682) HM
Quebec (Chaudière-Appalaches (region)), Berthier-sur-Mer — Grosse Île and Immigration to CanadaGrosse-Île et l’immigration au Canada
English: Grosse Île and the Irish Memorial National Historic Site commemorates the significant waves of immigration welcomed to Canada between the opening of the 19th century and the First World War. During this period Québec was Canada's chief port of entry, receiving more than four million immigrants. Deadly infectious diseases and a rudimentary scientific understanding of how they could be controlled required that, between 1832 and 1937, Grosse Île serve the vital function of a . . . — Map (db m80672) HM
Quebec (Chaudière-Appalaches (region)), Berthier-sur-Mer — Hameau Dunière-Dénéchaud
Seigneurial manor site where the second seigneur, Aleandre (Isaac) Berthier, lived as well as the Rigauville, Dunière-Dénéchaud families. Today this site is called Hameau Dunière-Dénéchaud in honor of the last two seigneur of the Seigneurie of Bellechasse, Louis Durière (1723-1806) and Claude Dénéchaud (1768-1836). At the time of construction of the quay in 1853, the site was occupied by a set of buildings for maritime trade and agriculture. They included the manor house, farm houses, a . . . — Map (db m80671) HM
Quebec (Chaudière-Appalaches (region)), Berthier-sur-Mer — The Celtic CrossLa croix celtique — 1909
English: Raised in 1909 by members of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, this monument honours the memory of the thousands of Irish immigrants who died on Grosse Île in 1847. Inscriptions in Irish, French and English recall their tragic destiny during the Great Famine. French: Érigé en 1909 par des membres de l’Ancient Order of Hibernians, ce monument honore la mémoire des milliers d’immigrants irlandais décédés à la Grosse-Île en 1847. Des inscriptions en gaélique, . . . — Map (db m80684) HM
Quebec (Chaudière-Appalaches (region)), Berthier-sur-Mer — Veterinarians Mark the History of Animal Health in CanadaLes vétérinaires marquent l’histoire de la santé animale au Canada
English: Canadian government veterinarians based on Grosse Île played a major role in protecting animal health in Canada for more than forty years. Their research during the Second World War led, 1946, to the development of a vaccine against rinderpest. The exotic animal disease research laboratory and training centre, opened following the 1952 foot-and-mouth epidemic, remained in use until 1988. Between 1965 and 1985, when large numbers of animals were imported from . . . — Map (db m80681) HM
Quebec (Chaudière-Appalaches (region)), Lévis — A.C. Davie ShipyardLe chantier A.C. Davie
English: Established by Allison Davie in 1829, this shipyard represents the great period of shipbuilding in Canada. Its operations continued until 1989 and, over time, were marked by several technical innovations. In 1832, Davie installed one of the first patent slips in the country and later added two floating dry docks. Designed mainly for ship repair and salvage operations, this remarkable and long-lived enterprise was also involved in the construction and winter storage of . . . — Map (db m80755) HM
Quebec (Coaticook MRC), Compton — Louis Stephen St-Laurent1882 - 1973
Né à Compton, reçu avocat en 1905, St-Laurent fut a maintes reprises conseiller de grandes compagnies et représenta le gouvernement federal devant le Conseil Prive de Londres. Ministre de la justice (1941-1946), secrétaire d’état aux affaires extérieures (1946-1948), premier ministre du Canada (1948-1957), il prêcha l’unité nationale et joua un rôle capital dans l’évolution constitutionnelle et judiciaire du pays. Architecte d’un nouveau Commonwealth, signataire de Charte des Nations Unies et . . . — Map (db m74537) HM
Quebec (Coaticook MRC), Waterville — École HYATT School
The settlement of Milby dates back to the 1790s. This Hyatt One-Room Schoolhouse was built on land originally granted to Loyalist Abraham Hyatt Sr., located in the Hyatt Settlement, now known as Milby. Two brothers, Cornelius and Abraham Jr. settled here while another brother Gilbert settled first at Capelton and later moved to Lower Forks in 1796, then called Hyatt's Mills, known to-day as Sherbrooke.

Loyalist Cornelius Hyatt operated the Grist Mill and Saw Mill at the river, just across . . . — Map (db m74544) HM

Quebec (Côte-Nord), Blanc-Sablon — Blanc-SablonNaishipinut
English: For nearly nine thousand years, Aboriginal peoples have been drawn to Blanc-Sablon's abundant shoreline resources. Research conducted on more than sixty archaeological sites along the western bank of the Blanc-Sablon River reveals settlement and subsistence patterns that gradually changed over time. The quantity and diversity of the wildlife remains found here testify to the importance of coastal resources, particularly seals, to the diet of the area's inhabitants. A rich . . . — Map (db m79604) HM
Quebec (Côte-Nord), Blanc-Sablon — Blanc-Sablon National Historic SiteLieu historique national de Blanc-Sablon — Naishipiunt utenau shashish aitashtakanit
English: The Blanc-Sablon National Historic Site of Canada, also recognised as Cultural Property in Québec, holds a signifiant place in the history of the Quebec- Labrador coast. Artefacts found at this site represent 9,000 years of Aboriginal history up until the first contact with Europeans in the early 16th century. The high concentration of archaeological sites attests to the fact that the Blanc-Sablon region, and especially the mouth of the Blanc-Sablon River, was an important . . . — Map (db m79605) HM
Quebec (de Roussillon MRC), La Prairie — Second Battle of La Prairie
French text on marker appears above English text below On August 11th, 1691, a few hours after the attack on Fort La Prairie, Major Peter Schuyler and his Indians suffered a severe defeat at the hands of the French and their indian allies, under the command of Captain De Valrennes. The French lost the following officers: Lieutenants Le Varlet, Le Ber, Duchesne, Denys De La Bruère and Depeiras. Ce site est le don de David Daigneault (translation: This land was donated by David . . . — Map (db m75315) HM WM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Gaspé — Jacque Cartier
English: In commemoration of the Four Hundredth Anniversary of the landing of Jaques Cartier at the entrance to this harbour on 24th July, 1534. French: Pour commémorer le quatre centième anniversaire de l’atterrissage de Jacque Carier á l’entrée de ce port le 24 juillet 1534. — Map (db m80666) HM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Gaspé — Jacques Cartier at GaspeJacques Cartier à Gaspé
English: On 14 July 1534, the two ships commanded by Jacques Cartier of Saint-Malo sought shelter in Gaspé Bay, where they remained for eleven days. Here Cartier met and established friendly relations with a large fishing party of St. Lawrence Iroquois from Stadacona, today Québec City. On 24 July he erected a cross bearing the arms of François I on the shore of Gaspé Harbour, thus establishing a basis for French claims to this part of America. The next day Cartier set sail for France, . . . — Map (db m80667) HM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Percé — 350ᵉ anniversaire de la visite de François de Montmorency-Laval
Commémoration le 16 mai 2009 à Percé du 350ᵉ anniversaire de la visite de François de Montmorency-Laval (Montigny-sur-Avre, 1623 - Québec, 1708) nommé Vicaire Apostolique de la Nouvelle-France en 1658 et Sacré premier évêque de Québec en 1674, Monsiegneur François de Laval confirme à l’isle Percée de 16 mai 1659 140 personnes dont 55 Micmacs. (Béatification de Francois de Laval le 22 juin 1980) Commémoration sous les auspices de M. le Cardinal . . . — Map (db m80648) HM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Percé — A Rock Forever Sculpted by Time and TideUn rocher sans cesse sculpté, au fil du temps et des marées — Parc National de l’Île-Bonaventure-et-du-Rocher-Percé
English: From the days of New France to today, many have spoken of its shape. “We came to Isle Percée… a very tall rock, with two steep sides and pierced by hole through which long boats and ships may pass at high tide.” Samuel de Champlain, 1603 There was but a single hole in the shape of an arch… two more have come into being since, not as large though now growing daily. Nicolas Denys, Seigneur of Percé, 1686 This massive apparently . . . — Map (db m80647) HM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Percé — Edmund James Flynn(1847-1927) — 10ᵉ Premier Ministre du Québec
À la memoire d’un illustre enfant de Percé Edmund James Flynn (1847-1927) 10ᵉ Premier Ministre du Québec Fils de James Flynn, pêcheur, et d’Elizabeth Tostevin, originaire de Guernesey, Edmund James Flynn et né à Percé en 1847. Secrétaire-trésorier de Percé, puis avocat et professeur à l’Université Laval, il est élu deputé de Gaspé en 1878 et siège à l’Assemblée législative de Québec jusqu’en 1904. Ministre dans les gouvernements conservateurs . . . — Map (db m80649) HM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Percé — Percé Great War Memorial1914 - 1918
English: To Commemorate the valour of Officers and Men of Percé who fought in the Great War with his Majesty’s Forces for honour and freedom Our heroic dead French: En mémoire de la vaillance des officiers et soldats de Percé qui ont combattu dans les armées de sa majesté pour l’honneur et la liberté Nos morts héroiques Lieut. J. Herbert Lamb • Spr. John Boucher • Jean Laflamme English: and in honour also of those who served . . . — Map (db m80643) WM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Percé — Percé World War II Monument1939-1945
English: This plaque commemorates the heroism of the men and women of Percé who served voluntarily in the Canadian Armed Forces. French: Cette plaque rappelle l’héroroîsme des hommes et des femmes de Percé qui son servi volontairement dans les Forces Armées Canadiennes. Killed in Action / Tombés au Champ d’Honneur Lenfestry, Francis • LeBlanc, Moîse • Mahan, Ralph • Pidgeon, Joseph Prisoners at Hong Kong / Prisonniers à Hong Kong . . . — Map (db m80644) WM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Percé — William Edmond Logan1798 - 1875
English: Sent abroad from his native Montreal to complete his education, Logan established a reputation as a map maker and geologist in the mining districts of Wales which led to his appointment as the first Director of the Geological Survey of Canada in 1842. He supervised, and personally conducted much of the early scientific mapping of the province, and made the collection of Canadian minerals which became the basis of the National Museum. The first Canadian man of science to gain . . . — Map (db m80645) HM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Pointe-à-la-Croix — The Battle of the RestigoucheLa Bataille de la Ristigouche
English: In May 1760 a French relief fleet, unable to reach Quebec, took refuge at the head of Chaleur Bay. It was there that a British squadron blockaded them on June 22. Aided by Acadians and Micmacs, the French planted batteries on the shores and blocked the channel, hoping thus to keep the enemy from their ships anchored in the estuary of the Restigouche. The British were able to get by these obstacles and, on July 8, the French vessels were scuttled after about seven hours of . . . — Map (db m80582) HM
Quebec (Gaspésie-Îles de la Madeleine MRC), Cap-des-Rosiers — Carricks Monument
Sacred to the memory of 187 Irish Immigrants from Sligo wrecked here on April 28th 1847 Ship Carricks of Whitehaven 87 are buried here Pray for their souls Erected by Parishioners of St Patricks Parish Montreal                     Rev. J. Quinlivan P.P. Map (db m22854) HM
Quebec (Haut-Richelieu MRC), Lacolle — Bataille du Moulin de Lacolle / Battle of the Lacolle Mill
Sur ce site, le 30 mars 1814, le major R.B. Handcock, avec quelque 500 soldats du 13e régiment des Royal Marines, de Canadian Fencibles, des Voltigeurs ainsi que des Indiens, a combattu vigoureusement contre 4,000 soldats américains commandes par le général Wilkinson. Epuise par cette résistance, celui-ci replia sur la frontière américaine. La bataille du moulin de Lacolle mit fin a la dernière invasion américaine du Bas-Canada durant la Guerre de 1812 Here, on 30 . . . — Map (db m74538) HM
Quebec (Haut-Richelieu MRC), Lacolle — La Bataille d’Odelltown / Battle of Odelltown
Après l’échec de l’insurrection de 1837, des membres du parti des patriotes, rassembles aux États-Unis sous la conduite de Robert Nelson, proclamèrent la République du Bas-Canada et tentèrent de renverser le gouvernement. L’invasion de 1838, médiocrement organisée et mal ravitaillée, fut un échec. Le 8 novembre, l’armée se replia sur Odelltown. Les 9 et 10 novembre, elle attaqua la milice d’Odelltown mais celle-ci, soutenue par des renforts, la repoussa. Nelson s’échappa mais la dispersion de . . . — Map (db m77848) HM
Quebec (Haut-Richelieu MRC), Saint-Jean — Fort Saint-Jean
L'état de guerre avec les Iroquois incita les Français à bâtir un fort à Saint-Jean en 1666. Un nouveau fort fut érigé en 1748 afin de protéger la colonie française contre les expéditions militaires britanniques qui remontaient la rivière Richelieu. En 1775, deux redoutes furent construites pour défendre contre l'invasion américaine la colonie passée aux mains des Anglais. La même année, le fort soutint un siège de 45 jours dirigé par le général américain Montgomery. A la suite du . . . — Map (db m77015) HM
Quebec (Haut-Richelieu MRC), Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu — First Railway in Canada
Canada's first steam railway, the Champlain and St. Lawrence, was opened in 1836 to better facilitate trade with the United States. It was built by promoters led by brewer John Molson and merchant-forwarder Jason C. Pierce. This 23-kilometre line expedited the movement of passengers and freight between Montréal and New York by linking La Prairie, on the St. Lawrence River and Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu. The wooden rails were replaced with iron in 1847, and the line was extended in 1851 to Rouses . . . — Map (db m74533) HM
Quebec (Haut-Richelieu MRC), Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu — Former Grand Trunk Railway Station
The Saint-Jean station, built in 1890, symbolizes the presence of the Grand Trunk Railway in Québec before its amalgamation in 1923 with the Canadian National Railways. The Grand Trunk was incorporated in 1853 to provide service through the Province of Canada to the East Coast. It was created by combining new construction with existing lines, and eventually stretched from Sarnia, Ontario, to Portland, Maine. The design, typical of small stations of the period, is characterized by a hipped roof, . . . — Map (db m74534) HM
Quebec (La Cité Borough), Québec City — Champlain MonumentVieux-Québec
Samuel de Champlain: Born at Brovace in Saintonce about 1567. Served in the French Army as Marechal des Locis under Henri IV. Explored the West Indies from 1599 to 1601 and also Acadia from 1604 to 1607. Founded Québec in 1603. Discovered the region of the Great Lakes. Led several expeditions against the Iroquois from 1609 to 1615. Was successively Lieutenant Governor and Governor of New France. Died at Québec 24th December 1635. — Map (db m74547) HM
Quebec (La Cité Borough), Québec City — Le Château FrontenacVieux-Québec
Construit en sept étapes à partir de 1892-1893, cet édifice offre un excellet exemple des hotels de style Chateau etablis par les companies ferroviaires au Canada. Rehaussé par la splendeur du site, il évoque la romantisme des château de la Loir des XIV et XV siècles. Bruce Price, qui en a conçu le plan, a toutefois délaissé la symétrie classique de ces modèles au profit de l’eclectisme pittoresque en vogue à la fin du XIX siècle. Les interventions subséquentes des architects Painter et . . . — Map (db m74546) HM
Quebec (La-Vallée-du-Richelieu RCM), Chambly — 1930 — Chambly CanalCanal de Chambly
English: The Canal, connecting Lake Champlain with the St. Lawrence River, for navigation purposes, was proposed in 1785. Begun in 1831, it was excavated as far as Chambly, but the undertaking was suspended in 1835. Work was resumed in 1841; the locks at Chambly were completed, and, in 1843, the canal opened to navigation. French: Ce canal, reliant le lac Champlain au Saint-Laurent pour les fins de la navigation, fut projeté en 1785. Commencé en 1831, il était creusé . . . — Map (db m82021) HM
Quebec (La-Vallée-du-Richelieu RCM), Chambly — Fort Chambly
French: Chambly — A.D. 1665. Courage et Loyaute Sous le regne de Louis XIV, Roi de France et de Navarre, Le Marquis de Vaudreuh, Etant Gouverneur général de la Nouvelle France Ce Fort fut érige en 1771 Incendié en 1776. Restauré par Guy Carleton en 1777. Abandonné en 1817 Il fut réparé en 1882 et 1888; Sous le regne de Victoria, Reine de la Grande Bretagne. Le Marquis de Lorne Etant Gouverneur Général du Canada Théodore . . . — Map (db m82025) HM
Quebec (La-Vallée-du-Richelieu RCM), Chambly — Fort Chambly CemeteryCimetière du Fort de Chambly
English: Here rest in the peace of our Lord the mortal remains of men, who underneath the walls of the old fort, gave their lives for their country. “How sleep the Brave, who sink to rest by all their Country’s wishes blest!” French: Ici dorment dans la paix du Seigneur, ceux qui, sous les murs du vieux Fort, ont donné leur vie pour la patrie. “Ceux qui pieusement sont morts pour la patrie, ont droit qu’à leurs cercueils, le peuple vienne et prie.” — Map (db m82023) HM WM
Quebec (La-Vallée-du-Richelieu RCM), Chambly — General John Thomas
In memory of General John Thomas An American Officier born in Marshfield, Mass. 1724, died of smallpox June 2, 1776, and other American soldiers buried in this ground. — Map (db m82024) HM WM
Quebec (La-Vallée-du-Richelieu RCM), Sainte-Angèle-de-Monnoir — Fort Sainte-ThérèseLe fort Sainte-Thérèse — The Wooden Fort Era / Au temps des forts de bois
English: In 1665, not far from here on the shores of the Richelieu, the soldiers of the Carignan-Salieres regiment built a wooden stockade to protect the new colony and bring the war to Iroquois territory, southwest of Lake Champlain. The construction was completed on October 15, the day of celebration for Saint-Thérèse. The fort was abandoned two years later when peace was made with the Iroquois, and then rebuilt in 1747. It was burned down by American Rangers on June 16, 1760, . . . — Map (db m82033) HM
Quebec (La-Vallée-du-Richelieu RCM), Sainte-Angèle-de-Monnoir — Fort Ste. Therese
English: Built in 1665, on the point south east beyond the canal, by M. de Salieres. One of the forts constructed on the Richelieu by the Carignan Regiment for defence against the Iroquois, starting point of the expedition of 1666. In June, 1760, Major Robert Rogers burned the fortified post. French: Bâti en 1665, sur la pointe sud-est, de l'autre côté du canal, par M. de Salières. L'un des forts construit sur le Richelieu, par le régiment de Carignan, pour arrêter les . . . — Map (db m82032) HM
Quebec (Le Haut-Richelieu RCM), Lacolle — 15 — Blockhaus de la Rivière-LacolleLacolle Mills Blockhouse
English: Built prior to the War of 1812, the Lacolle Blockhouse is one of the last military defense works of of its kind still standing in Canada. After the American invasion of 1775 and 1776, the British authorities wished to exert better control over access to the Saint Lawrence River via the Richelieu River. In 1778, the Royal Engineers began building a defence network of forts, redoubts and blockhouses such as the one on the Lacolle River. Lacolle became an important outpost . . . — Map (db m82069) HM
Quebec (Le Haut-Richelieu RCM), Lacolle — Blockhaus de la Rivière-LacolleThe Lacolle River Blockhouse
English: The Lacolle River Blockhouse Back in the XVIII Century … In Canada, blockhouses first appeared in Acadia around 1750, at the time of the British conquest. The Lacolle River blockhouse, built in 1781, was part of the colony’s defence network, and served as an outpost for British soldiers on missions in the Upper-Richelieu region. It was abandoned after a peace treaty was signed on December 24, 1814, by the United States and Great Britain, and today is the only . . . — Map (db m82728) HM
Quebec (Le Haut-Richelieu RCM), Saint-Paul-de-l'Île-aux-Noix — 16 — Chantier Naval de Île-aux-NoixThe Île-aux-Noix Naval Shipyard
English: When war was declared between the United States and England, in June of 1812, Canada again risked being attacked from the south. The Lake Champlain-Richelieu River corridor represented the easiest way to invade Montrêal. Île-aux-Noix quickly acquired key strategic significance. Sir George Prevost, then governor-in-chief of British North America chose to act swiftly. As the Americans and British raced for military supremacy on Lake Champlain, the naval shipyard of Île-aux-Noix . . . — Map (db m82067) HM
Quebec (Le Haut-Richelieu RCM), Saint-Paul-de-l'Île-aux-Noix — Fort LennoxLe Fort Lennox
English: Fort Lennox was the third fortification built on Isle-aux-Noix as a barrier to invasion along the Richelieu River from the south. The island was first fortified by the French in 1759 but the British captured it the next year. In 1775 the Americans occupied the island as a base for their attack on Canada. After they retreated the British erected a new fort to deter further American invasion. During the War of 1812 it protected an important naval base. Later this fort was razed . . . — Map (db m82065) HM
Quebec (Le Haut-Richelieu RCM), Saint-Paul-de-l'Île-aux-Noix — The Royal Navy
English: In enduring memory of the services of the officiers, seamen, and soldiers of the Royal Navy, Provincial Marine, and Royal Marines, who fought in defence of Canada on Lake Champlain in 1776-77 and 1812-1814. French: Pour perpétuer le souvenir des services des officiers, marins et soldats de la marine royale, de la marine provinciale et des fusiliers marins royaux qui ont combattu pour la défense du Canada sur le lac Champlain en 1776-77 en 1812-14. — Map (db m82066) WM
Quebec (Le Haut-Saint-Laurent RCM), Ormstown — The Battle of the ChâteauguayBataille de la Châteauguay
English: Here, on 26 October 1813, a Canadian force of about 300 consisting of Voltigeurs, Canadian Fencibles, Sedentary and Select Embodied Militia and Indians, commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Charles Michel de Salaberry, halted 5,700 American troops led by Major General Wade Hampton. In turning back the American advance on Montréal de Salaberry and his militiamen thwarted the most ambitious enemy invasion of the War of 1812 and saved the province. French: Ici, le 26 . . . — Map (db m82104) HM
Quebec (Le Plateau-Mont-Royal Borough), Montréal — Hochelaga
Près d’ici état le site de la ville fortifiée ďHochelaga visitée par Jacques Cartier en 1535, abandonnée avant 1600 elle renfermait cinquante grandes maisons logeant chacune plusieurs familles vivant de la culture du sol et de la pêche. Near here was the site of the fortified town of Hochelaga visited by Jacques Cartier, in 1535, abandoned before 1600. It contained fifty large houses, each lodging several families who subsisted by cultivation and fishing. — Map (db m72726) HM
Quebec (Longueuil MRC), Boucherville — Jacques Marquette, S.J.
(French text appears above English text) Né en France le 10 Juin, 1637. Découvrit le Missippi, avec Louis Jolliet, le 17 Juin 1673. Mourut dans l'Etat du Michigan le 18 mai 1675. Visita cette seigneurie en mai 1668. Born in France, 10th June, 1637. Discovered the Mississippi River with Louis Jolliet, 17th June, 1673. Died in Michigan, 18th May, 1675. Visited this seigniory, May, 1668. — Map (db m78180) HM
Quebec (Memphrémagog MRC), Austin — Reginald Aubrey Fessenden1866 - 1932
Ce pionnier de la radiocommunication est ne a Bolton-Est. En 1884, il quitta le Canada et, pendant qu’il dirigeait une école aux Bermudes, il se donna une formation en télécommunications. Sa compétence l’amena aux États-Unis ou il fit de la recherche et d’importantes découvertes, notamment dans le domaine de la réception radiophonique. Apres 1912, il se spécialisa dans les questions de navigation. Il inventa une sonde sonore, puis, durant la Première Grande Guerre, un instrument pour repérer . . . — Map (db m74540) HM
Quebec (Memphrémagog MRC), East Bolton — Former Bolton Township Hall
French text appears above English text. Passage of the Municipal and Road Act for Lower Canada in 1855 resulted in the construction of many public halls in the English-speaking communities of rural Quebec during the second half of the 19th century. This township hall was erected in 1867 by community members using wood obtained locally. It served as a council chamber and social meeting place as well as accommodating a school on the ground floor. A fine example of regional building . . . — Map (db m75771) HM
Quebec (Montreal (region)), Lachine — Frances Anne Hopkins
Two adjacent panels provide information on the life of Frances Anne Hopkins Frances Anne Hopkins, an Unrecognized Woman Do you know this woman? She once walked the ground under you feet. In fact, she lived in Lachine from 1858 to 1860 and spent the next eight years in Montreal. Frances Anne was born in England under the name of Beechey. At age 20, she married Edward Marin Hopkins, who held an important position in the Montreal Department of the Hudson’s Bay Company. . . . — Map (db m82108) HM
Quebec (Montreal (region)), Lachine — Lachine MassacreMassacre de Lachine
English: During the night of the 4-5 August 1689, fifteen hundred Iroquois landed at Lachine and placed themselves in small groups near all the houses along the shore. At a given signal the massacre began; two hundred persons perished and one hundred and twenty were taken into captivity. The year 1689 was long known as "The year of the massacre”. French: Dans la nuit du 4 au 5 août 1689, quinze cents Iroquois débarquèrent à Lachine et se placèrent en pelotons à . . . — Map (db m82105) HM
Quebec (Montreal (region)), Lachine — Lachine: Gateway to the NorthwestLachine: porte des «Pays-d’en-Haut»
English: The St. Lawrence River’s Sault-Saint-Louis rapids constitued (sic) an impassable barrier. Until a canal was built, canoes and bateaux had to set out from Lachine to… • explore the west of the country, • conduct the fur trade • defend the territory. “… never, Champlain exclaimed in 1603, had I seem such a furiously raging torrent of water… “ French: Les rapides of Sault-Saint-Louis constituent un obstacle infranchissable sur le . . . — Map (db m82107) HM
Quebec (Montreal (region)), Lachine — The Hudson’s Bay Company in LachineLa Compagnie de la Baie d’ Hudson à Lachine
English: In 1826, five years after the merger with its great Montréal rival, the North West Company, the Hudson’s Bay Company set up its headquarters in Lachine. Activities connected with the fur trade, however, would never again reach the same dimensions as in the days of the North West Company. “This point in earlier times had been a very important station of the North West Company… Hence larger fleets of canoes were despatched (sic) every Spring on their way to the . . . — Map (db m82106) HM
Quebec (Montreal (region)), Lachine — The Lachine CanalLe Canal de Lachine
English: The Lachine Canal, built between 1821 and 1825 and enlarged in the 1840s and 1870s, was the first in a network of canals on the St. Lawrence River that linked the Atlantic to the Great Lakes. A symbol of the modernization of transportation, the canal played a decisive role in Montréal’s industrial and commercial development, notably as a source of hydraulic power, The highly diversified character of the canal’s shore area, which became one of the country’s foremost . . . — Map (db m82109) HM
Quebec (Montreal (region)), Montréal — History of Basilique Notre Dame de Montréal
French: 1657: Arrivée des sulpiciens à Ville-Marie. M. Gabriel de Queylus,P.S.S., Supérieur. M. Gabriel Souart, P.S.S., Curé-missionnaire. 1672-1683: Construction de la première église Notre-Dame dans l’axe de la rue Notre-Dame. M. François Dollier de Casson, P.S.S., Supérieur du séminaire. 30 octobre 1687: Mgr. de Laval, Évêque de Quebec, érige Notre-Dame en paroisse canonique sous le patronyme de Saint-Nom-de-Marie M. Gilles Pérot, P.S.S. Curé. 1823-1829: . . . — Map (db m82017) HM
Quebec (Montreal (region)), Montréal — Jeanne Mance(1606-1673)
English: On this site, Jeanne Mance founded the Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal, one of the oldest hospitals in the country. She arrived in Ville-Marie with Paul de Chomedey de Maisonneuve in 1642, and remained the only nurse there until 1659, when she brought the Hospitalières de Saint-Joseph to New France. At a time when there were numerous confrontations with the Iroquois, she cared for the wounded and sick with compassion and diligence, while increasing her efforts to recruit new settlers. . . . — Map (db m82011) WM
Quebec (Montreal (region)), Montréal — Visitors Center
English: This house built around 1800 on land granted in 1658 to Lambert Closse by Paul de Chomedey Sieur de Maisonneuve, was restored and converted into an art center in 1964 by the Safeguard Life Ass. Co. French: Cette maison, bâtie vers 1800 sur une terre concédée en 1658 à Lambert Closse par Paul de Chomedey de Maisonneuve, fut restaurée et convertie en centre d’art en 1965 par le Compagnie d’Assurance sur la Vie la Sauvegarde. — Map (db m82013) HM
Quebec (Montréal (region)), Lachine — A Wonderful New AdditionTout nouveau, tout beau
English: This little branch is all that remains of the first canal of 1825. The low stone walls were added in the 1930s. The lock stood under your feet. The canal subsequently followed the current route to the port of Montreal, located 13.5 kilometres east and 14 metres lower. At the time, it had seven locks: that of Lachine at the upstream entrance, two at Côte-Saint-Paul, one at Saint-Gabriel, and a series of three at the downstream entrance to the port of Montreal. According to . . . — Map (db m82158) HM
Quebec (Montréal (region)), Lachine — An Upstream BattleNaviguer à contre-courant
English: In the early 19th century, navigators could avoid the rapids between Lake St. Louis and Lake St. François by using a number of small canals built by the military around 1780. Nothing of the sort allowed navigators to bypass the Lachine Rapids. In 1815, the government of Lower Canada sponsored a study aimed at building a canal on Montreal Island, but implementation was delayed. Four years later, a group of businessmen led by John Richardson took over the project and . . . — Map (db m82156) HM
Quebec (Montréal (region)), Lachine — Full Steam AheadGrandir à toute vapeur
English: Barely 20 years after its opening, the canal was no longer up to the task, unable to accommodate larger ships. It was widened for the first time in 1843 to 1848 in one of a series of large-scale projects ordered by the Colonial Office of London. England hoped to curb the unemployment and depression resulting from the political and economic crises of the previous decade. The government of United Canada was tasked with coordinating the ambitious program to improve navigation . . . — Map (db m82153) HM
Quebec (Montréal (region)), Lachine — Growing With the TimesDoublement et dédoublement
English: This lock provides evidence of the first canal enlargement, which doubled the dimensions of the waterway and locks. Reduced from seven to five, the new locks were built parallel to the old. this one was used for navigation until 1926, then as a regulating weir until the being filled in after the canal was closed in 1970. Fully restored in 1998-1999, it retains its original location and dimensions, as well as a number of old stones. An electromechanical door-and-gate-opening . . . — Map (db m82154) HM
Quebec (Montréal (region)), Montréal — Cartier ResidencesLes Résidences Cartier
English: These two semi-detached houses were constructed about 1837, and each served as the home of one of Canada’s most distinguished statesmen, Sir George-Étienne Cartier (1814-1873), who occupied the east home from 1848 until 1855, and the west house from 1862 to 1872. Cartier shared the leadership of the Province of Canada with Sir John A. Macdonald for most of the decade after 1857, and was one of the principal architects of Confederation (1867). He became a leading member of the . . . — Map (db m82112) HM
Quebec (Montréal (region)), Montréal — Joe Beef’s CanteenLe Cantine de Joe Beef
English: “Joe Beef’s may be low, it is certainly dirty on the cellar and ground floors; and the value of such a place to the city may be questioned, but let one thing be remembered - many a tired head has found rest; many a hungry mouth has been filled. Surely, this charity will cover a multitude of sins.” - Unknown - Montréal by Gaslight, 1889 A canteen keeper in the British army in the 1850’s, Charles “Joe Beef” McKiernan was assigned to the canteen on . . . — Map (db m82114) HM
Quebec (Montréal (region)), Montréal — Kondiaronk and CallièreKondiaronk et Callière
English: Kondiaronk, Grand Chief of the Wyandots of Michilimakinac, played a determining role in the negotiations of the Great Peace due to both his influence with the other First Nations chiefs and the respect that he had among the French. His speech of August 2, 1701 was a decisive factor in sealing the peace. Louis-Hector de Callière, an able military strategist and governor of Montréal, distinguished himself in the defence of the city. In that office and later as governor general . . . — Map (db m82116) HM
Quebec (Montréal (region)), Montréal — Montréal’s Founders and First Colonists Monument
This obelisk honors the founders and first colonists of the City of Montréal. There are four panels at the base of the monument. Panel 1: Le XVIII Mai MDCCCXCIII Ce monument a été erige par La Société Historique de Montrèal a la memoire des généreux fondateurs de cette ville et Des premiers colons arrives ici en MDCXLII Ce que vous voyez ici, Messieurs, n’est qu’ un chain de sénevé, mais… je ne doute nullement que ce petit grain ne produise . . . — Map (db m82159) HM
Quebec (Montréal (region)), Montréal — Saint-Laurent BoulevardLe Boulevard Saint-Laurent
English: Saint-Laurent Boulevard, commonly known as “The Main,” holds a special place in the emergence and development of cultural communities in Canada. Since the end of the 19th century, waves of immigrants from all around the world have stepped ashore at the foot of this 17th-century artery and , from there, moved onto the street and into Canadian society. Along this strong sinewy backbone of Montréal, in a kaleidoscope of neighbourhoods such as Chinatown, the Jewish and . . . — Map (db m82113) HM
Quebec (Rosemont–La Petite-Patrie Borough), Montréal — Le Jardin Botanique de Montréal / The Montréal Botanical Gardens
Fondé en 1931, ce jardin est l’œuvre du frère Marie-Victorin, botaniste de grand renom qui a amorcé et mené projet d’envergure, et de Henry Teuscher, architecte paysagiste qui en a conçu l’aménagement. La beauté, la variété et la richesse de ses collections témoignent de la vision de ses fondateurs, qui voulaient en faire un « jardin botanique idéal » par ses fonctions esthétiques, scientifiques, éducatives et sociales. Avec ses quelque 22 000 espèces et cultivars de plantes, ses grandes . . . — Map (db m78181) HM
Quebec (Sherbrooke MRC), Sherbrooke — Sir Alexander Tilloch Galt1817-1893
French text appears above English text Born in England, Galt came to Sherbrooke in 1835, and played a key role in the development of the Eastern Townships as Commissioner of the British American Land Company, as entrepreneur, railway promoter and member of the legislature. When Minister of Finance in 1858 he initiated an autonomous tariff policy. An early advocate of Confederation, he represented the English of Lower Canada and was responsible for the financial provisions of the . . . — Map (db m75634) HM
Quebec (Vaudreuil-Soulanges RCM), Coteau-du-lac — Coteau-du-lac
English: From 1778 until the mid-19th century Coteau-du-Lac was the site of a British military post which defended the passage and facilitated the transportation of supplies along the St. Lawrence. It was of strategic importance to the defence of Canada during the American Revolution and during the War of 1812 when its fortifications were added to strengthen its position. In addition to the supply depot and fort, one of the earliest locks in North America was constructed here in . . . — Map (db m82178) HM
Quebec (Ville-Marie Borough), Montréal — Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac
[The coat of arms of Quebec] “Je Me Souviens” Ici vécut -- Here lived Antoine Laumet de Lamothe Sieur de Cadillac (1658-1730), Fondateur de -- Founder of Détroit, -- Detroit, Governeur de -- Governor of La Louisiane -- Louisiana Commission des Monuments Historiques — Map (db m78185) HM
Quebec (Ville-Marie Borough), Montréal — Aux origines de Montréal / The origins of Montréal
C’est ici que le sieur de Maisonneuve fonda Montréal en mai 1642. Situé au confluent du Saint-Laurent et de l’ancienne petite rivière Saint-pierre, l’endroit était bien connu des Autochtones qui s’y rassemblaient depuis des siècles, de même que sur le site de l’actuelle place Royale. Dès leur arrivée, les Français construisirent le fort Ville-Marie. Vers 1688, le gouverneur de Montréal, Louis-Hector de Calliėre, obtint une partie du terrain et y érigea sa résidence, d’où le nom de pointe . . . — Map (db m78186) HM
Quebec (Ville-Marie Borough), Montréal — Château de Vaudreuil
Ici s’élevait – Here stood le Château de – the Château Vaudreuil – de Vaudreuil Construit en 1723 – Built in 1723, occupé de le – occupied by the College de – College of Montréal de – Montreal from 1773 en 1803. – 1773 to 1803. — Map (db m73102) HM
Quebec (Ville-Marie Borough), Montréal — Joseph Papineau
Joseph Papineau (1752 – 1841), notaire et député, habitait cette maison. Son fils Louis-Joseph Papineau (1786-1871), avocat, homme d’état et chef de l’insurrection de 1837, y vécut également ainsi que ses descendants. — Map (db m73144) HM
Quebec (Ville-Marie Borough), Montréal — L’Ancien Édifice de la Douane / The Old Custom House
Construite entre 1836 et 1838, l’ancienne douane est l’œuvre de John Ostell, l’un des plus importants architectes de ces années à Montréal. L’édifice de style palladien se distingue par son élégante façade ornée de pilastres et d’un large fronton. Situé face au fleuve, sur la vieille place du Marché, il soulignait l’essor commercial de Montréal et le nouveau rôle de la métropole. Le bâtiment abrita le service des douanes jusqi’en 1871 et conserva son harmonieuse apparence d’origine après . . . — Map (db m72899) HM
Quebec (Ville-Marie Borough), Montréal — La Basilique Notre-Dame / Notre-Dame Basilica
Cette imposante basilique, construite de 1824 ả 1829 et terminée au début des années 1840, fut le premier exemple significatif de style néogothique au Canada. Église paroissial érigée selon les plans de l’architecte américano-irlandais James O’Donnell, elle exprime avec éclat l’étape romantique des débuts de ce style, par l’application d’éléments médiévaux, comme les arcs en ogive, les creneaux et les pinacles, ả une forme symétrique d’influence classique. Le chois du néogothique . . . — Map (db m72828) HM
Quebec (Ville-Marie Borough), Montréal — La Basilique Saint-Patrick / Saint Patrick's Basilica
Bel exemple des débuts du néo-gothique, la basilique Saint-Patrick fut bâtie entre 1843 et 1847 pour la communauté irlandaise de Montréal. Conçue par Pierre-Louis Morin et le père Félix Martin, elle combine la simplicité de l’architecture québécoise traditionnelle à un intérieur dont l’élégance évoque l’esprit de l’architecture française au Moyen Âge. Son riche ameublement, oeuvre de l’architecte William Doran, a été exécuté dans les années 1890. Source d’aide matérielle et spirituelle pour les . . . — Map (db m73082) HM
Quebec (Ville-Marie Borough), Montréal — Le Château Ramezay / Château Ramezay
[Royal Coat of Arms of Canada] Le gouverneur de Montréal Claude de Ramezay fit ériger ici en 1705, par Pierre Couturier, un édifice pour lui servir de demeure. La Compagnie des Indes occidentales, qui le posséda de 1745 à 1763, le fit rebâtir et élargir en 1756 selon les plans de Paul Tessier dit Lavigne. Les gouverneurs généraux résidèrent au Château de 1773 à 1844, les envahisseurs américains s’y logèrent en 1775-1776, et le Conseil exécutif y siégea en 1839. Il abrita après 1849, des . . . — Map (db m36937) HM
Quebec (Ville-Marie Borough), Montréal — Le Marché Bonsecours / Bonsecours Market
Entrepris en 1844 par l’architecte William Footner, cet imposant édifice, d’inspiration néoclassique, rappelle l’accession de Montréal au rang de métropole. Complete par George Brown en 1860, il a servi d’hôtel de ville entre 1852 et 1878. Pendant plus d’un siècle, il abrite le principal marché de la municipalité et de la région. Le Parlement du Canada-Uni y a siégé brièvement en 1849. Au fil des ans, l’aile est a accueilli une sale de concert, des salles de réunion et a été utilisée a diverses . . . — Map (db m72976) HM
Quebec (Ville-Marie Borough), Montréal — The Nelson Column, Montreal
North face : In memory of the Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson Duke of Bronte who terminated his career of Naval Glory in the memorable Battle of Trafalgar on the 21st of Oct 1806 after inculcating by signal a maxim that can never be forgotten by his country: “England expects every man will do his duty.” This monumental pillar was erected by a subscription of the inhabitants of Montreal in the year 1808. West face : On the 1st and 2nd of August 1798, Rear . . . — Map (db m33963) HM
171 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 580 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.