HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Vermont Markers
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — John DeereInventor of "The Plow that Broke the Plains"
John Deere learned the blacksmith trade here as an apprentice in the shop of Capt. Benjamin Lawrence from 1821 to 1825. The shop was located below this spot on Mill Street, in what is known as "Frog Hollow". In 1836 Deere removed to Grand Detour, Illinois where, in 1837, he built the world's first steel moldboard plow. — Map (db m58906) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — American Blockhouse – 1777Mount Independence State Historic Site
“I have also provided timber for two Blockhouses.” - Col. Anthony Wayne, February 4, 1777 In the summer and fall of 1776 American forces concentrated on fortifying the northern point of the rocky Mount Independence peninsula, in anticipation of a British advance from Canada. Along the southeast and southern land-locked perimeters soldiers only had the time to construct log and stone breastworks as a first line of defense against the enemy, should the British attempt . . . — Map (db m19321) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — British Blockhouse - 1777Mount Independence State Historic Site
“Blockhouses, none of them finished.” - Lt. John Starke, Royal Navy, September 1777 After the British captured Mount Independence on July 6, 1777, their military engineers decided to build six new blockhouses to augment American-built defenses on the southeast and southern land exposures in anticipation of potential American attacks. Three were nearly completed. The new British blockhouses supported the log and stone breastworks from 1776, the two blockhouses built . . . — Map (db m19332) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Burial SiteMount Independence State Historic Site
“ . . . this Day there was two men Buried from our Regt.” - Lt. Jonathan Burton, October 4, 1776 This small stone, engraved “N. Richardson of Staddard Eng died 1760,” may mark the only identified grave on Mount Independence. Research has yet to discover who Richardson was or solve the mystery of the 1760 date. This was sixteen years before the Northern Department of the American Army began building Mount Independence as a defense against the British in . . . — Map (db m17849) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Fort Ticonderoga and Mount DefianceMount Independence State Historic Site
“ . . . a perfect mousetrap.” - Col. Alexander Scammell, September 21, 1777 From here are seen nearly all the powerful forces of nature that made this spot on Lake Champlain the Gibraltar of the North as well as its Achilles heel during the American Revolution. Straight ahead (looking west) is the 853-foot high Mount Defiance. On the other side of it is Lake George. To the north the narrow, quarter-mile wide channel was the perfect place to build artillery batteries to . . . — Map (db m17846) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Foundation -1776 or 1777Mount Independence State Historic Site — What do you think? -
This is one of the best-preserved stone foundations on Mount Independence. It was built during the Revolution, but historic maps and documents do not refer to it. Who built it? Did the Americans have time to build it during the two weeks in June 1777 when constructing the three gun batteries of the southern defenses? Was it built by the British and Germans encamped in this area from July to November 1777? What was it used for? The foundation is about 19 feet wide and 31 feet long, with stone . . . — Map (db m19441) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — General Hospital – 1777Mount Independence State Historic Site
. . . the new Hospital . . . 250 long & 24 wide.” - Rev. Enos Hitchcock, June 14, 1777 This shallow, dry-laid stone foundation was for the largest building at Mount Independence – a 250-foot long by 24-foot wide, two-story, wood frame General Hospital. This boardwalk is nearly as long as the hospital. On February 13, 1777, American Northern Department commander Gen. Philip Schuyler directed Chief Engineer Jeduthan Baldwin to “lose no time in preparing . . . — Map (db m19319) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — German Hut – 1777Mount Independence State Historic Site
Our men built huts out of boards to protect themselves from the cold weather.” - Lt. Von Hille, October 22, 1777 During the American occupation from July 1776 to July 1777, soldiers constructed a breastwork of logs and stone along the top of the rocky slope here. In June 1777, to further strengthen this land approach, they added three artillery batteries. After the British gained control of Mount Independence and Ticonderoga on July 6, 1777, the garrison of British . . . — Map (db m19436) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Heritage Travelers over the Years
Some of the intrenchments are still visible.” – John Disturnell, 1857 After the American Revolution, numerous visitors curious to see the places that figured so prominently in the war for independence visited Mount Independence and recorded their observations. Peter Sally, 1784: “Fort Independence is directly opposite. The Americans in the late war built a bridge across the lake which separates Mount Independence from Ticonderoga. We saw its remains. . . . — Map (db m19501) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Lake Champlain and the American RevolutionMount Independence State Historic Site
. . . the possession of every thing here depends upon keeping the Command of the Water.” - Maj. Gen. Horatio Gates, July 16, 1776 In front of you is Lake Champlain, at 120 miles long the sixth largest lake in the United States. For nearly 10,000 years it was a major travel route and resource for the original inhabitants here. The Iroquois called it Caniaderi-Guarunte, meaning “The Door to the Country,” because it penetrated deep into the forests. . . . — Map (db m19440) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Military Road
Military Road from Mount Independence to Hubbardton 1777 Marked by Hands Cove Chapter D.A.R. 1933 — Map (db m9234) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Mount IndependenceBastion of the Revolution
Fortification was begun in June of 1776, and the name Mount Independence was bestowed following the Declaration of Independence. Lieut. Col. Jeduthan Baldwin was the chief construction engineer. Here the exhausted American Army, Northern Department, was stationed after withdrawing from its disastrous Canadian Campaign. Built on a rocky plateau and stoutly fortified, the post was a natural stronghold facing any approaching foe from the north. Within its rugged confines thousands of New . . . — Map (db m9275) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Mt. Independence Military RoadRoute to Hubbardton, 1777
After Ethan Allen seized Fort Ticonderoga, the Americans built Fort Mt. Independence, northwest from here on the Lake. Following Burgoyne’s invasion, Gen. St Clair evacuated the Forts, retreating across these hills to Hubbardton. Vermont Historic Sites Commission Map (db m9232) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Officers Quarters – 1776Mount Independence State Historic Site
“ . . . some of the officers have good framed houses.” - Dr. Lewis Beebe, September 30, 1776 This fifteen-foot square, well-defined stone foundation may be the remains of quarters for one or more American officers in the Second Brigade, a unit of regiments from Massachusetts and New Hampshire encamped here the last half of 1776. Many soldiers arriving at Mount Independence after the retreat from Canada had lost their tents. Their first order of business was to clear . . . — Map (db m17863) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Southern Battery – 1777Mount Independence State Historic Site
began the works at 3 places on Mount Independence.” - Col. Jeduthan Baldwin, June 20, 1777 On June, 1777, American Chief Engineer Jeduthan Baldwin wrote in his journal, “in the afternoon went with Col. Kosiusko to advise what works had best be done on the mount.” “Kosiusko” was classically trained Polish engineer Thaddeus Kosciuszko, Gen. Horatio Gates assigned him to survey the fortifications at Mount Independence and Fort . . . — Map (db m19437) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Southern Defense Trail
This walkway is a loop approximately 0.2 mile long with stairs and gentle slopes. It leads you past the remains of a blockhouse (near the parking area), provides a look at the Mount’s rock formations, and provides a vista of the lake south of the Mount. A spur from this walkway leads down to the M/V Carillon boat dock. The theme of the walkway, southern defenses, represents British rather than American concerns here at Mount Independence. Although a dock for supply ships was located a . . . — Map (db m19536) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Storehouse - 1776Mount Independence State Historic Site
ordered a large Stoer House to be built.” - Col. Jeduthan Baldwin, August 17, 1776 At least one of the storehouses constructed on Mount Independence during the Revolution stood in this area. Portions of the remaining stone foundations are discernable to the left, although the many outcroppings of bedrock and ledges make it difficult to distinguish between natural and man-made formations. The success of large defensive outposts such as Mount Independence, located . . . — Map (db m19366) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — The American Southern Defenses – 1776-1777
we are Building a Large & Long Breast work on the South Side.” - Pvt. Thomas Killam, August 19, 1776 When the American Northern Army arrived at Ticonderoga in mid-July 1776, the 300-acre peninsula opposite on the Vermont shore was a rugged land mass ideal for adaptation as a major fortification. What would soon be named Mount Independence faced north, toward the enemy, with water surrounding it on three sides and rugged cliffs and steep rock-strewn slopes on the . . . — Map (db m19543) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Third Brigade Encampment – 1776Mount Independence State Historic Site
. . . our Men is clearing the Encamping Ground over the Lake.” - Sgt. Timothy Tuttle, July 23, 1776 In July 1776 Northern Army commander Gen. Horatio Gates organized regiments at Mount Independence and Ticonderoga into four brigades. Each brigade averaged four regiments, with 1,000 men in a full strength regiment. Three brigades were on the Mount: the First where the star or picket fort would be built, the Second in the area of the future General Hospital, and the . . . — Map (db m19318) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — To Repel the Enemy
The Generals have Fix’d on a spot . . . to be fortified.” - Lt. Col. Matthias Ogden, July 19, 1776 On July 5, 1777, Thomas Anburey, who was traveling with British Lt. Gen. John Burgoyne on Lake Champlain, observed as they approached Mount Independence and Fort Ticonderoga that “the Americans have employed their utmost industry where they are in the greatest force, upon Mount Independence, which is extremely lofty and circular.” Thanks to . . . — Map (db m19480) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Ripton — Robert Frost1874 - 1963
A distinguished American poet by recognition and a Vermonter by preference, Robert Frost was Poet Laureate of Vermont and for many years “First Citizen” of the Town of Ripton. He was long associated with the Middlebury College School of English and its Writers’ Conference. “Breathes there a bard who isn’t moved When he finds his verse is understood And not entirely disapproved By his Country and his Neighbourhood?” — Robert Frost, 1961 — Map (db m37171) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Shoreham — Larrabee’s Point
John Larrabee established the first regular ferry here under a grant from the Vermont Legislature when the only business at the site was his tavern. In 1823, the year that the Champlain Canal opened, Larrabee and Samuel Holley built a store and a warehouse. A lively trade with the inland towns soon supported three stores, all supplied directly from Troy or Albany. Among the goods exported to the world from Larrabee’s Point, Merino sheep commanded the highest prices. Shoreham farmers bred some . . . — Map (db m15580) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — Ethan Allen
A few feet south from this stone stood the house in which Ethan Allen lived while he was a resident of Bennington 1769-1775 — Map (db m61279) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — The "Corkscrew" Railroad
When wealthy North Bennington resident Trenor Park purchased the Bennington-Rutland Railroad, he found that the railroad "barons" of the Troy and Boston Railroad refused him access to the New York lines. Rather than fight this monopoly, Park built a rail line from Bennington to Lebanon Spring, NY, where he could transfer his trains to southbound rails while bypassing Troy. The dozens of turns over 40 miles of hilly terrain gave this stretch of railroad the name "Corkscrew." Passenger service . . . — Map (db m36902) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — Vermont's Colonial ShrineVermont Legislature Joint Resolution December 11, 1935
Whereas, the Old First Church of Bennington was organized December 3, 1762, and is the Oldest Church within the present limits of Vermont; and Whereas, our forefathers met in Prayer in the First Meeting House for assistance against the oppressive measures of New York and the overwhelming power of King George, and to the First Meeting House returned from the capture of Fort Ticonderoga, the Battle of Bennington, the surrender of Burgoyne to offer up their Thanksgiving; and . . . — Map (db m28223) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Manchester — Lincoln’s HildeneSummer Home of Son of Civil War President
Eastward on the hillside can be seen the Manchester estate of Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of President Abraham Lincoln and Mary Todd Lincoln. He became fond of Vermont, and for over twenty years made this his summer home. He died here July 25, 1926. Vermont Historic Site Commission Map (db m20783) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), North Bennington — Home Where Lt .Colonel Baum Died
A few feet east of this marker stood the house, removed about 1870, in which Lieutenant Colonel Friedrich Baum died. Commander of the enemy forces, he was mortally wounded in the battle of Bennington and died two days later, August 18,1777. He was buried on the north bank of the Walloomsac River, west of this site, the precise spot not now known. — Map (db m58451) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Old Bennington — Battle of Bennington
The Expedition led by Lieut. Col. Baum Sent to Seize Military Stores here, was Defeated by Volunteer Amer- ican Militia Forces from New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Vermont, Commanded by General John Stark, Aided By Colonels Warner and Herrick, of Vermont, Symonds, of Massachusetts, and Nichols of New Hampshire. [Reverse Side of Marker]: Monument Erected 1887-1891 Commemorates the Battle of Bennington, August 16, 1777. Height 301 Feet. The . . . — Map (db m13649) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Old Bennington — Bennington Battle Monument
On August 16, 1777, British forces sent by Gen'l Burgoyne to seize supplies at Bennington were turned back by New Englanders under Gen'l John Stark and Vermont's Col. Seth Warner. This 306 foot commemorative shaft planned 100 years later, was dedicated in 1891. In 1953 it was taken over, restored and an elevator installed by the Vermont Historic Sites Commission which now administers it for the State. — Map (db m13600) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Old Bennington — Continental Storehouse Site
On this site stood the Continental Storehouse Object of the British attack that was repulsed by the Colonial Forces at the Battle of Bennington August 16, 1777 — Map (db m14828) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Shaftsbury — Governor Jonas Galusha Homestead
Jonas Galusha, born in Norwich, CT in 1753, moved his family to Shaftsbury in 1775. During the Revolutionary War he served with Seth Warner's Green Mountain Boys and was at the Battle of Hubbardton and a Captain during the Battle of Bennington. A blacksmith, innkeeper, carpenter and politician, he became the 5th Governor of Vermont and was re-elected for 9 terms from 1809 - 1819. His wife, Mary, was daughter of Gov. Thomas Chittenden. Gov. Jonas Galusha died in 1834 and is buried nearby in the . . . — Map (db m27799) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Barnet — The Comerford Development at Fifteen Mile Falls
The Connecticut River, starting at the International Boundary, flows 380 miles to the Atlantic Ocean. In its course the river falls 1640 feet. In 1928, the New England Power Association started a two-year project to build one of the largest hydro-electric developments in the country. The dam is located in the towns of Monroe, NH and Barnet, VT and is 275 miles above the rivers mouth. When dedicated on September 30, 1930 President Herbert Hoover pressed a button at the White House to start the . . . — Map (db m65836) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Danville — Greenbank's HollowA Forgotten Village
On this site, in 1849, Benjamin Greenbank converted an existing small mill into a 5-story woolen factory. As many as 45 people worked here to produce up to 700 yards of cloth a day. Greenbank's Hollow, as it became known, included a company store, gristmill, sawmill, school, and several residences nearly all owned by Greenbank.

On December 14, 1885, a fire at the mill quickly spread and destroyed the village including the covered bridge. Greenbank did not rebuild and today only the . . . — Map (db m61392) HM

Vermont (Caledonia County), Danville — Thaddeus Stevens
Born crippled and poor in Danville in 1792, Stevens was schooled by his mother, Sally Morrill Stevens, and at nearby Caledonia County Grammar School, graduating from Dartmouth College in 1814. He became a brilliant lawyer, committed to racial equality. As an abolitionist Congressman from his adopted state of Pennsylvania and as Chair of the House Ways & Means Committee, he worked to finance the Civil War. He is recognized as the father of the 14th and 15th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution . . . — Map (db m20664) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), St Johnsbury — First American Platform Scale
After experimenting with new types of farm equipment, plows, and stoves, Thaddeus Fairbanks invented the platform scale here in 1830. With his brothers Erastus and Joseph, he founded the company which still bears there name. Many St. Johnsbury public institutions were gifts of this talented family. — Map (db m65863) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), St Johnsbury — Northeastern Speedway
Opened on July 18, 1959 as Vermont’s first organized auto racing track under the guidance of the Northeastern Racing Association, the State’s first motor sports sanctioning body. By instituting formal point and purse structures and focusing on driver and spectator safety, these pioneers laid the groundwork for a sport that continues to thrive today. — Map (db m65865) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Burial Place of General Ethan AllenBorn 1738 – Died 1789
The mortal remains of Ethan Allen, Vermont leader, fighter, writer and philosopher, lie in this cemetery beneath the marble statue, but his spirit is in Vermont now. — Map (db m51646) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Centennial Field
Named to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the University of Vermont’s first graduating class, Centennial Field has been the home of UVM athletics since 1906. The three ballparks that have stood on this site have hosted semi-professional and minor league, as well as exhibitions by visiting Major League and Negro League ballclubs. The current grandstand, constructed in 1922, is one of the oldest still in use. Among the outstanding players who have graced Centennial’s diamond are Larry . . . — Map (db m23429) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Church Street — Burlington, VT
Had you stood at this location in the early 1800s, you would have had to lift your skirt off the dirt lane to step up onto the plank sidewalk or guard your hat from the danger of low wooden canopies. Pedestrians competed with horse and carriage on this “road to the brick church” at the top of Church Street, as residents used to call it. Laid out as part of a 1797 grid plan, Church Street was among Burlington’s first north-south corridors. The street, anchored on the north by . . . — Map (db m23579) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — City Hall Park — Burlington, VT
In 1797, a city planned grid system was laid out for Burlington, incorporating the few transportation routes that existed, including King, Pearl, Church and Battery Streets. At the city’s center, space was reserved for a park (now City Hall Park) and courthouse. First known as Courthouse Square, the park became a focal point in the early 1800s attracting hotels, taverns, and offices in the early 1800s. The buildings bordering the park tell the story of the city’s growth from a frontier . . . — Map (db m23580) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Site of the American House1808 - 1893
Site of the American House 1808-1893 Presidents Monroe, Van Buren, Pierce, Grant Generals Scott, Wool, Hampton Henry Clay, and other famous famous people entertained here. — Map (db m21813) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Cambridge — Cambridge Junction Bridge
This bridge was built in 1887 by George W. Holmes in order to access an important railroad junction and the surrounding village of Cambridge Junction. The Burr Arch structure has a clear span of 135 feet, making it one of the longest spans of its type in the United States. The bridge is also known as the "Poland Bridge" after the retired judge who led a lawsuit against the Town of Cambridge that resulted in the bridge's construction. The bridge was rehabilitated in 2003-04 with funds from the . . . — Map (db m61227) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Milton — Historic Lake Islands - Samuel De Champlain
These islands were first seen by a European in 1609, when Samuel De Champlain explored the Lake which bears his name and claimed them for the King of France. Ceded in 1763 to Britain, they became part of the Royal Colony of New York. After 1776, several American Revolutionary heroes received Land Grants here, and two islands were so named. In 1783 this area joined the Free and Independent Republic of Vermont. Here is history and legend of the famous Allen family, the Green Mountain Boys, Rogers’ Rangers and many others. — Map (db m61503) HM
Vermont (Essex County), Concord — 1st Normal SchoolPioneer in Teacher Training
The first recognized school for the purpose of training teachers was conducted near here by the Rev. Samuel Read Hall, 1823-25. Practice teaching was employed, with lectures on Schoolkeeping, which became in 1829, the first professional book for teachers. 2.4 miles south at Concord Corners. — Map (db m65864) HM
Vermont (Franklin County), Fairfield — Chester A. ArthurBirthplace of 21st President
Although the exact location is debated, Chester A. Arthur was born on Oct. 5, 1829 in Fairfield. He became a New York lawyer and politician and was elected Vice-President in 1880. Upon the assasination of James Garfield, Arthur became president on Sept. 20, 1881. His administration was distinguished by the creation of the U.S. Civil Service, better relations with Central and South America, and the revival of the U.S. Navy. Arthur died Nov. 18, 1886. The State-Owned Historic Site is 5 miles northwest from here. — Map (db m36935) HM
Vermont (Franklin County), Fairfield — Chester A. Arthur21st President of the United States
Research indicates Chester Alan Arthur was born in Fairfield, Vermont, on October 5, 1829. When he was less than a year old his parents moved to a new parsonage built at this site. After graduating Phi Beta Kappa from Union College, he became a lawyer championing civil rights for blacks. Later, as Quartermaster General, he organized the provision of food & supplies to Union Civil War soldiers. On September 19, 1881, Arthur became president following the assassination of James Garfield. As . . . — Map (db m36936) HM
Vermont (Franklin County), Fairfield — Consuelo Northrop Bailey
Born in Fairfield in 1899 at her family farm, Consuelo Northrop attended grade school in Sheldon and high school in St. Albans. In 1921 she graduated from the University of Vermont. Later she entered Boston University Law School, graduating in 1925. In 1940 she married Henry Albon Bailey. Consuelo Bailey was the "first" in many areas: first woman city prosecutor for Burlington, first woman lawyer in VT to try a murder case, first VT woman to be admitted to practice law before the U.S. Supreme . . . — Map (db m65132) HM
Vermont (Franklin County), Sheldon — Colonel Elisha Sheldon1741-1805
In 1776, at the request of General Washington, Elisha Sheldon was commissioned by Congress to raise a regiment of cavalry. Named the 2nd Continental Light Dragoons, the unit served with distinction throughout the Revolutionary War. In 1791, Colonel Sheldon, his sons Major Samuel, Elisha, Jr., and George, and their families came, with other families, from Connecticut as first settlers of this town. The town was originally chartered as Hungerford but the name was changed to Sheldon in 1792. The . . . — Map (db m43774) HM
Vermont (Franklin County), Sheldon — Sheldon, VermontSite of Civil War Action — October 19, 1864
On their retreat to Canada after an attack on St. Albans, a 22-man Confederate detachment rode into Sheldon near dark. Crossing a covered bridge which stood on the site, they set it on fire, but alert village citizens saved the bridge. In great haste to escape an aroused countryside, the invaders gave up a planned foray on the local bank. — Map (db m42270) HM
Vermont (Franklin County), St. Albans — St. Albans Raid
The Civil War entered Vermont, October 19, 1864, when 22 Confederates spread terror from the north, robbed three banks and shot up the town. Stealing horses, they fled back into Canada. There, after trial, they were freed and the banks partially reimbursed. — Map (db m61958) HM
Vermont (Franklin County), Swanton — Missisquoi Village and MissionSwanton / Highgate
The ancient Missisquoi / Mazipskoik Abenaki village was the region's focal point into the 1760's. In 1744, Jesuits built a cabin which served into the 1790's as the first longterm Christian mission in Vermont. Speculators took much of the Abenaki land by 1798, but the Abenaki Nation of Missisquoi survived. In the 1860's, Swanton historian John Perry lamented the hasty destruction of the old village noting its antiquity and great importance to all. Nearby, the Abenakis live quietly to this day. — Map (db m44655) HM
Vermont (Grand Isle County), Alburgh — Historic Lake Islands - Samuel De Champlain
These islands were first seen by a European in 1609, when Samuel de Champlain explored the Lake which bears his name and claimed them for the King of France. Ceded in 1763 to Britain, they became part of the Royal Colony of New York. After 1776, several American Revolutionary heroes received Land Grants here and two islands were so named. In 1783, the area joined the Free and Independent Republic of Vermont. Here is history and legend of the famous Allen family, the Green Mountain Boys, Rogers Rangers, and many others. — Map (db m49606) HM
Vermont (Grand Isle County), Alburgh — Missile Site
First Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Site east of the Mississippi River. Built 1960 - 1962 by the U.S. Air Force. — Map (db m49607) HM
Vermont (Grand Isle County), Grand Isle — Hyde Log CabinBuilt circa 1783
This pioneer log cabin was one of the first buildings constructed in this area. Built from cedar logs by Jedediah Hyde, Jr., an engineer and veteran of the Revolutionary War, it was the home of the Hyde family for over 150 years. The cabin has one large room, heated by a stone fireplace, and a loft above. Many believe this is the oldest log cabin in the United States. The cabin was moved two miles to this location in 1946 by the Vermont Historical Society and restored in 1956 and in 1985. The . . . — Map (db m22885) HM
Vermont (Grand Isle County), Isle La Motte — A Place Of Pilgrimage
Many centuries before Samuel de Champlain's July 1609 landfall, Isle La Mottte had been a meeting place for the lake's neighboring native peoples. The Wonbanakiak on the eastern shore called the land Bitawbagw, or "the waters between," while the Iroquois (Mohawk) of the western shore knew it as Caniaderiguarunte, the "gateway to the country."

In 1666, French captain Pierre de Saint Paul, Sieur de la Motte, was detailed with 300 men to construct a fort on this site, for defense against the . . . — Map (db m49374) HM

Vermont (Grand Isle County), Isle La Motte — Samuel de Champlain Monument
Created in the Vermont Pavilion during the Universal and International Exposition of 1967 at Montreal, Canada. Presented to the Town of Isle La Motte by the State of Vermont. Dedicated on July 7, 1968. — Map (db m49275) HM
Vermont (Grand Isle County), Isle La Motte — Site of French Fort Ste. AnneVermont's oldest settlement
On this shore was the site of Fort Ste. Anne built in 1666 by Capt. Pierre La Motte for defense against the Mohawks. The Jesuits celebrated the first Mass and erected the first Chapel. Though not permanent, this was Vermont's first white settlement. — Map (db m22884) HM
Vermont (Grand Isle County), Isle La Motte — Theodore Roosevelt's Visit to Isle La Motte
On this site on September 6, 1901, Vice President Teddy Roosevelt was a guest at the home of Lieut. Gov. Nelson Fisk to be the main speaker at the annual meeting of the Vermont Fish and Game League. Here Roosevelt learned that President McKinley had been shot in Buffalo, NY. McKinley died eight days later and Roosevelt became the 26th US President. — Map (db m61211) HM
Vermont (Lamoille County), Wolcott — Fisher BridgeWolcott, Vermont
This bridge, spanning the Lamoille River on the St. Johnsbury & Lamoille County R. R., is the last railroad covered bridge still in regular use in Vermont and one of the very few left in the U.S. Built in 1908, it is the only remaining with full-length cupola, which provided a smoke escape. In 1968 the bridge was scheduled for destruction to make way for a new steel span. It was saved by placing heavy steel beams underneath. This preservation was achieved with State funds and with generous . . . — Map (db m36934) HM
Vermont (Orange County), Bradford — BradfordHome of Maker of 1st Globes and Birthplace of Adm. Clark
James Wilson, a Bradford farmer and self-taught engraver, in early 1800’s made and sold the first geographical globes in the U.S. Adm. Chas. Clark, born here in 1843, was Captain of the “Oregon”, which sailed around the Cape Horn to defeat Spanish at Santiago Bay in 1898. — Map (db m65832) HM
Vermont (Orange County), Bradford — Rear Admiral Charles Edgar Clark U.S.N.
Born Bradford, Vermont August 10, 1843 Died Long Beach California Oct. 1. 1922 Entered Annapolis Naval Academy Sept. 29, 1860 With Farragut Battle Mobile Bay Aug 5, 1864 Race of U.S.S. Oregon from California to Florida Mar. 16-May 26, 1898 Battle at Santiago Cuba July 3, 1898 — Map (db m65831) HM WM
Vermont (Orange County), Fairlee — Nathaniel Niles1741 – 1828
Revolutionary War patriot and author of the popular ode "The American Hero," written in celebration of the Battle of Bunker Hill, Nathaniel Niles was an original settler of Fairlee, then founder of West Fairlee, and first minister of this church. He came to Fairlee soon after the Revolution from Norwich, Connecticut, where he was active in politics, manufacturing and religion. During a public career that spanned three decades in Vermont, Niles served on the state Supreme Court, as Speaker of . . . — Map (db m65091) HM
Vermont (Orange County), Fairlee — Samuel MoreyPioneer Inventor of Steam and Gas Engines lived here
Samuel Morey, resident of Orford and later Fairlee, successfully operated a steamboat on the Conn. River in 1793. Making over 4000 experiments, this early scientist patented an internal combustion engine in 1826 to anticipate the age of the motor car and airplane. — Map (db m32118) HM
Vermont (Orange County), Newbury — Old Court House
Here stood from 1773 to 1801 the old court house with jail connected for Gloucester County New York, which became Orange County Vermont. It was used for a meeting house until 1788. The Legislature of 1787 met in this building. A few rods northerly stood the log fort of revolutionary days. — Map (db m48618) HM
Vermont (Orange County), South Strafford — Elizabeth Mine
In the 1790s a body of ore was discovered here, leading to the production of copperas from 1809 - 1880s and the intermittent production of copper from 1832 - 1958. The mine site covered 850 acres, and over three million tons of ore were extracted from open cuts and below ground. By 1834 the site included one of the nation's earliest successful large-scale copper smelting plants. Employing as many as 220 workers, the mine had a major impact on the economic and cultural development of Strafford . . . — Map (db m64920) HM
Vermont (Orange County), Strafford — Morrill Homestead
Justin Smith Morrill, father of the act establishing land grant colleges, constructed this house, 1848-1851. Maintained as a life-long residence. The Homestead is registered as a National Historic Landmark. — Map (db m64973) HM
Vermont (Orange County), Strafford — StraffordBirthplace of Justin Smith Morrill
Born April 14, 1810, Senator Morrill served 43 years in the Congress. He won unique fame as author of the Morrill Acts, signed by Abraham Lincoln, 1862. These established our land-grant colleges and universities, securing and broadening higher education in the U.S. — Map (db m65008) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), East Poultney — Horace Greeley - George JonesNoted journalists served apprenticeship near here
At the original settlement in East Poultney, Horace Greeley, founder of the "New York Tribune", worked on the "Northern Spectator", 1826-1830. George Jones, co-founder of the "N.Y.Times", also came from here. — Map (db m60661) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), East Poultney — Jeffrey Brace1742 - 1827 — African, Revolutionary Veteran, Author, Abolitionist
Jeffrey Brace was born in West Africa with the name Boyrereau Brinch. At sixteen he was captured by European slave traders, shipped to Barbados, sold to a ship's captain, and eventually arrived in New England. Some years later, while still enslaved, Brace enlisted in the Continental Army and he won his freedom fighting in the Revolution. At the war's end in 1784 he settled in Poultney, in newly formed Vermont - the first state to prohibit slavery. He met an ex-slave, married, and they raised . . . — Map (db m60663) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), East Poultney — Poultney Civil War Monument1861-1865
To our country's defenders of Poultney,VT. Erected in grateful memory of their heroic service by Mrs. Josephine L. Lewis in memory of her husband Col. Judson A. Lewis. — Map (db m60775) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), East Poultney — Site of Oldest Union Church in America
Founded eight years before religious liberty was made constitutional 1780 — Map (db m60783) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Hubbardton — Battle of HubbardtonOnly Battlefield On Vermont Soil
Here on July 7, 1777 a successful rearguard action by Colonel Seth Warner’s Vermont, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire troops ended British pursuit under Generals Frazer and Reldesel. Thus, General St. Claire’s American army, retreating from Fort Ticonderoga and Mount Independence, was saved to fight near Bennington and Saratoga. Burgoyne’s 1777 drive to divide the colonies, first resisted at Hubbardton, ended in defeat at Saratoga. Vermont Division for Historic Preservation, 1989 Map (db m9169) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Hubbardton — British Flank Near Mt. Zion
Directly in front of you stands the majestic Mount Zion. From its summit the whole battlefield can be seen and it may have served as a lookout for Tory and Indian scouts who were surveying the area for the British shortly before the battle. The valley below was less wooded in 1777 than it is now, probably cleared out by one of the nine families that lived in the area at the time. British commander, General Simon Fraser, sent some of his grenadiers and light infantry through these fields to . . . — Map (db m11408) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Hubbardton — Dawn Attack
Directly ahead, through the gap in the hills, ran the Military Road which connected the American garrison at Mount Independence on Lake Champlain with sites on the Connecticut River. American forces used this road as their escape route during their retreat from Fort Ticonderoga and Mount Independence. It was in this gap that the American pickets fired on the British scouts at about 5 a.m. on the morning of July 7, 1777. This marked the beginning of the battle. Down the valley below, the . . . — Map (db m11406) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Hubbardton — Germans Arrive, Americans Retreat
Most of the battle waged back and forth in this field until the Americans were finally forced across the Castleton Road to the east. They took up a position there behind a log and stone fence. After some heavy fighting, Colonel Hale’s 2nd New Hampshire regiment crossed the road and flanked the British to the north. General Fraser, seeing his left flank under attack, sent word back to his rear guard for help. At a point when all seemed lost, some of Fraser’s rear guard appeared. This small . . . — Map (db m11411) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Hubbardton — Hubbardton Battle Monument
The only battle fought in Vermont during the Revolution Right side of Monument: This monument erected by citizens of Hubbardton and vicinity July 7, 1859 Back of Monument: Hubbardton Battle fought on this ground July 7, 1777 Bottom of Back: Restored by the State of Vermont 1991 Gawet Marble & Granite Inc. Left side of Monument: Col. Warner Commanded. Col. Francis was killed. Col. Hale was captured. The Green Mountain Boys fought bravely. — Map (db m9230) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Hubbardton — Monument Hill Charge
Colonel Ebenezer Francis and his 11th Continental Regiment from Massachusetts encamped along this hilltop on the night of July 6th. To the left, down the hill toward the Selleck cabin, were Seth Warner and his Green Mountain Boys; to the right was the rest of Colonel Nathan Hale’s 2nd New Hampshire regiment. On the morning of July 7th British troops, in hot pursuit of the American forces, climbed this steep slope to the crest of Monument Hill. Hampered by brush and fallen trees, the British, . . . — Map (db m11407) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Hubbardton — The Selleck Cabin
John and Sarah Selleck built their cabin near the Castleton Road when they moved to Hubbardton from Connecticut in 1775. Like many other families, they had come here to farm and raise their families away from the crowding and turmoil in the coastal colonies. When the Military Road was built in 1776, it put their cabin at the junction of two very busy roads. Both roads were being used to transport men and supplies to sites in every direction throughout the new frontier. The Sellecks fled the . . . — Map (db m11410) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Hubbardton — Welcome to Hubbardton Battlefield State Historic Park
The only battle fought on Vermont soil during the American Revolution took place on these fields. Viewed as a rear guard action, this battle was important because it slowed the progress of the British and German pursuers long enough for the main body of the American Army to escape during their retreat from the forts at Ticonderoga and Mount Independence on Lake Champlain. Starting from where you are now, follow the path to your right to the crest of the hill. There you will find the first in a . . . — Map (db m11405) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Middletown Springs — A. W. Gray & Sons
Near this site Albert W. Gray manufactured his horse power treadmills, which he invented and patented in 1844 and 1856. He also invented a corn sheller, patented in 1836, and a machine for making wrought iron nails.

For over 50 years the shop, under the management of A.W. and his sons, Leonidas and Albert Y., employed some 60 workers to produce treadmills, threshers, wood saws, ensilage cutters and gasoline engines that were sold all over the world.

In 1868 A. W. Gray rediscovered . . . — Map (db m60664) HM

Vermont (Rutland County), Middletown Springs — Middletown Springs War Memorial
Plaque on Front of Monument: Middletown's Roll of Honor 1861 - 1865 1st VT Reg't.– Whitmore, Sylvanus L. 2nd VT Reg't.– Bateman, John S.•Cole, Obadiah•Perham, Merritt•Perry, Andrew J. 7th VT Reg't.– Buxton, Samuel•Griswold, Stephen A.•Guilder, Harvey•Heap, Andrew•Heap, Webster•Higgins, Edwin 9th VT Reg't.– Coleman, Royal L.•Mann, Benjamin 10th VT Reg't.– Atwater, Alfred•Atwater, Alonzo•Barce, Henry•Buel, James N.•Buxton, Edwin R.•Coffee, . . . — Map (db m60814) WM
Vermont (Rutland County), Middletown Springs — Thomas Morgan House
Near this site in 1784 Thomas Morgan built the first frame house in what is now Middletown Springs. — Map (db m60907) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Pittsford — Hammond Covered Bridge
One of four covered bridges in the town of Pittsford, this 139’ Town lattice truss bridge was built in 1842 by Asa Nourse. During the 1927 flood the bridge floated off its abutments and ended up in a field over a mile down stream. During the winter of 1927-28 the town returned the bridge to its former location. — Map (db m61393) HM
Vermont (Washington County), Calais — Historic Kent Tavern
This brick tavern was built by Abdiel Kent between 1833 and 1837. It served as his home, and from 1837 to 1846 was a stagecoach stop on the road from Montpelier to Canada. The Kent family settled in Calais in 1798 and this section of town is known as Kents Corners. One of Abdiel's six brothers, Ira Kent, lived in the white clapboard house across the street. Together from 1837 until 1860 the operated I&A Kent Store in the two story wooden addition on the tavern. The Kent family owned the . . . — Map (db m61212) HM
Vermont (Washington County), Montpelier — State House
Montpelier became the Capitol in 1808, when the first State House was built. Ammi B. Young's 2nd State House, built in 1838 and destroyed by fire in 1857, was similar to this 3rd structure on the site, completed in 1859. — Map (db m22887) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Bellows Falls — Bellows Falls
The Village of Bellows Falls, within the Town of Rockingham, has served as a river and overland crossroad for commerce and travel by foot, stagecoach, riverboat, train, truck and automobile. With wood, brick, iron, steel, and stone, generations of residents have sheltered life and livelihood in a place of natural beauty and practical value. Today we can still read the story of these efforts and aspirations in a rich legacy of surviving residential, commercial, and industrial buildings. . . . — Map (db m65789) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Bellows Falls — Bellows Falls CanalHere first Canal in United States was built in 1802
The British-owned Company, which was chartered to render the Conn. River navigable here in 1791, was 10 years building the 9 locks and dam around the Great Falls, 52 ft. high. After the railroad came in 1849, river traffic declined and the canal was used for water power only. — Map (db m65772) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Bellows Falls — Waypoint Center
The Bellows Falls Waypoint Center stands in an old railyard which once served the Boston and Maine Railroad. Once the railroads came through, in 1849, the area was built up with many storage buildings used by local businesses for receiving deliveries from the railroad-ranging from coal to flour and feed. A tall water tank was located near to the tracks to service the frequent steam locomotives. While these buildings are gone, leaving only the old former stable immediately next to the canal, the . . . — Map (db m65787) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Brattleboro — Brattleboro Civil War Monument
(Front): This Monument Commemorates The Loyalty and Patriotism Of the Men of Brattleboro, Who Fought for Liberty and the Union In the Great Rebellion of 1861 – 1865 Enlisted 385. Died in Service 31. Erected by a Grateful Town A.D. 1887. (Back):Never Forget What They Did Here: Big Bethel, Bull Run Lee’s Mill, Savage’s Station Antietam, Fredericksburg, Marye’s Heights, Gettysburg, Port Hudson, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, . . . — Map (db m23114) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Brattleboro — Brattleboro Veterans Monument
Dedicated In Loving Memory of the Men and Women of Brattleboro Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice in World War I World War II Korean War Vietnam War — Map (db m23116) WM
Vermont (Windham County), Brattleboro — Estey Organ Company
Here, in Brattleboro, was located the world’s largest manufacturer of reed organs. For more than a century, reed and pipe organs made in Brattleboro were sold to homes and churches around the world. The unusual slate-sided factory complex on Birge Street and the adjacent Esteyville neighborhood were developed in the early 1870s. Philanthropic and civic-minded, the Estey Company patented many manufacturing improvements and was a pioneer in equal pay for women. — Map (db m23113) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Brattleboro — NaulahkaRudyard Kipling’s Home near Brattleboro for 4 years
After marriage to the American, Caroline Balestier, and after visiting her home, famed British writer built isolated “Naulahka”. Here he wrote the “Jungle Books” and other stories, and two daughters were born. In 1896 the Kiplings returned to England. Private home. West 2 miles. Map (db m23573) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Brattleboro — The First Building of the Centre Congregational Church
Here Stood the First Building Of the Centre Congregational Church Erected in 1815 Moved to Its Present Site 1842 This Marker Was Placed July 5, 1916 — Map (db m23117) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Guilford — Vermont’s Interstate Highway System
Vermont’s Interstate Highway System This monument depicting the Interstate highway system in Vermont is dedicated to the men and women who contributed to the planning, designing and building of this magnificent transportation network. As the most significant engineering accomplishment in Vermont during the twentieth century it did much for the economic well being of our state. May the efforts of all who worked on this project be long remembered. — Map (db m23111) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Jamaica — Jamaica Veterans Monument
Honor Roll Proudly We Pay Tribute To the Members of Our Community Who Answered the Call to the Colors World War I * Harry O. Beattie • Aaron P. Butler • Roy Chapin • Leon W. Cheney • Gilbert W. Clayton • Zeron J. Cobb • Oscar F. Crandall • Hobart H. Foskett • William E. Giese • John Gronski • Raymond Jones • Harrison M. Kingsbury • David E. Knight • Harold Knight • Walter J. Lackey • * Harry Leno • Mark F. McLean • Frank Parkhurst • Clarence W. Pierce • Merton L. Perry • . . . — Map (db m23248) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Newfane — In Memory of Jonathan Park
In Memory of Jonathan Park Original Settler of Newfane Who Gave to the People of Windham County the Common And All the Land On Which Now Stand The County Buildings Erected by His Great-Granddaughters Martha Osgood Morse Frances Hannah Osgood 1919 — Map (db m23130) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Newfane — Newfane Civil War Monument — Roll of Honor World War 1917 – 1918 Plaque
(Front): In Memory of The Men of Newfane Who Served Their Country In the Civil War 1861 – 1865 “On fames eternal camping ground their silent tents are spread, and glory guards, with solemn round, the bivouac of the dead.” (South Plaque): Adams, Adin • Aldrich, Harrison • Allen, Newman • Allen, Warren • Allison, Everett, M. • Alls, Horace • Bemis, Leonard • Bemis, Levi • Bennett, Henry L. • Betterly, Frank W. • Betterly, George S. • Betterly, . . . — Map (db m23134) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Newfane — Newfane Honor RollKorean War - Vietnam War
Korean War June 25, 1950 – January 31, 1955 Bourn, Melvin F. • Brooks, Dennis R. • Brooks, Roy I. • Carey, Leighton, E. • Carey, Merton M. • Chase, Charles D. • Druke, Edward J. • Fisher, Abbott C. • Gould, Neils E. • Gould, Roland F. • Gunzinger, Albert A. • Gunzinger, Robert C. • Harris, David A. • Higgins, Hubert L. • James, Charles E. Jr. • Jefts, Robert R. • Jenness, Warren L. • Kent, Donald F. • LaChance, Charles J. • Lane, Herbert W. • LaRose, Richard M. • Pratt, Conrad M. . . . — Map (db m23135) WM
Vermont (Windham County), Newfane — Newfane World War II Monument
Honor Roll World War II Armstrong, David • Atwater, Roy • Beck, Walter P. • Bills, Lyman S. • Bingham, Robert • Brayman, Floyd • Brayman, Ralph • Brooks, Alfred • Brooks, Arthur W., Jr. • Brooks, Robert • Brooks, Roy I. • Brown, Emmett • Carey, Forest • Carey, Lawrence • Carey, Merton • Carey, Myron • Carey, Richard • Carey, Verne • Carr, Almon E. • Chandler, Warren M. • Chamberlain, Rose • Crapo, Glen A. • Crispe, A. Luke • De Long, Lyle • Dowley, Kenneth • Dowley, Richard B. • Druke, . . . — Map (db m23132) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Putney — Family Home of John Humphrey Noyes
Eldest son of a Putney family, John Noyes (1811-1886) became deeply religious after a revival meeting in 1831. Convinced that Christ’s Second Coming had occurred in 70 A.D. and that all people could now be free of sin, he became a “Perfectionist.” Under Noyes’ leadership a small group of followers came together as the Putney Perfectionists. They lived communally, practiced “Bible Communism”, ran a press, and published a paper called “The Witness”. . . . — Map (db m65770) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Rockingham — Rockingham Meeting House
The Rockingham Meeting House is one of the finest remaining examples of New England Colonial architecture. It is the oldest intact public building in Vermont. Built between 1787 and 1801, it served Rockingham as a house of religious worship and town meetings for nearly a century. The arrival of industrialization shifted settlement to the nearby villages of Bellows Falls and Saxtons River. The Congregational church survived here until 1839 and annual Town Meetings continued here until 1869. A . . . — Map (db m72021) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Rockingham — Rockingham Meetinghouse
Rockingham Meetinghouse has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America A rare 18th century New England meetinghouse of the "Second Period," styled in the Georgian manner and unmatched among surviving New England meetinghouses. Its barn-like massing and austere appearance evoke medieval and Puritan forms. This is the most intact 18th century public building remaining in Vermont — Map (db m72023) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Townshend — Scott BridgeLongest Wooden Span in Vermont
This 277’ bridge, built in 1870 by Harrison Chamberlain, consists of two king post trusses and a 166’ Town lattice truss. The latter was the longest wooden span in Vermont. In 1981 a concrete pier was constructed to provide support. An earlier attempt to strengthen the bridge with the addition of a laminated bow arch was not successful. — Map (db m23330) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Vernon — Fort Bridgman Marker
Fort Bridgman The first white settlement In Vernon, Vt. Built in 1737, The scene of many Indian massacres Sacked and burned by the Indians For the third time June 27, 1755, After having slain Caleb Howe And taken captive fourteen persons Among whom were his wife Jemima Howe And her seven children. Land given for this purpose by the Hubbard Brothers This boulder from the “Howe Farm” Was contributed by Hon. George E. Howe Of Boston, Mass. A lineal descendant of . . . — Map (db m48061) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Vernon — Jemima Tute
Famed as the "Fair Captive", her faith and courage survived the slaying of two husbands by Indians and--after an attack on nearby Fort Bridgman in 1755--her own forced hardship march to Canada. One of her seven children perished and the others were taken from her. Eventual freedom brought partial family reunion. Fort Sartwell, built by her father, was one mile north of this point. — Map (db m60274) HM
Vermont (Windham County), West Dover — 1857 Schoolhouse No. 6
1857 Schoolhouse No. 6 This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m23261) HM
Vermont (Windham County), West Dover — Stoyan ChristoweTown of Dover
Town of Dover Home of Stoyan Christowe (Cwojah Xpucwob) 1897 – 1995 Statesman – Journalist – Author An immigrant orphan from Macedonia, he became a Vermont State Senator and wrote six books, among them, the autobiography This Is My Country. The Eagle and The Stork • Heroes and Assasins • The Lion of Yanina My American Pilgrimage • This Is My Country • Mara Map (db m23259) HM
Vermont (Windham County), West Townshend — Clarina Howard Nichols
Clarina Howard Nichols Born in West Townsend 1810, Clarina Howard became an early advocate of women’s rights. After a divorce in 1843 she married George Nichols. As editor of the Windham County Democrat she strongly advocated women’s property rights, child custody, temperance, and suffrage. In 1852 she became the first woman to address the Vermont Legislature, and lectured throughout New England and the Midwest. Nichols was a staunch abolitionist who seized the opportunity to move . . . — Map (db m23329) HM
Vermont (Windham County), West Townshend — Taft Homestead Site
In 1799, Aaron Taft settled on a 100-acre farm on Taft Hill. His grandson, Alphonso, born here in 1810, served as Secretary of War and Attorney General under President Grant, and as Minister to Austria-Hungary and Russia. Alphonso’s son, William Howard Taft (1857 – 1930) became 27th President of the United States and later Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. William’s son, Robert A. Taft (1889 – 1953) was U.S. Senator from Ohio. Many other descendants became prominent in government . . . — Map (db m23327) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Whitingham — Brigham Young Birthplace
The leader of the Mormon pioneers, Brigham Young, was born up the steep hill to the south on June 1, 1801. He eventually led his people from Illinois to Utah where he founded Salt Lake City in 1847 and 500 communities throughout the west. Young became the first territorial governor of Utah and the second president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. — Map (db m61306) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Wilmington — Crafts Inn
This Property Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department Of The Interior — Map (db m29506) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Wilmington — Elizabeth Page “Molly” Stark, 1737 – 1814
Wife of General John Stark, mother of 11 children, homemaker, patriot, and defender of the household. Her love, courage, and self-reliance were common virtues among the many hearty women of frontier New England’s 18th century towns. This strength and devotion to husband, home and family were virtues that sustained her, as well as so many women and their families, during those times when husbands were called to duty for their country in the constant French and Indian Wars and the American . . . — Map (db m23291) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Wilmington — The Norton House
circa late 1700’s, one of the oldest houses left in town, was originally built on Lisle Hill in the first town of Wilmington. It was moved to its present site by ox cart in the 1830’s. — Map (db m23292) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Wilmington — Wilmington Veterans Memorial
In Honor Of The Men and Women Of Wilmington Who Served Our Nation In War and Peace Nelson E. Pickwell Post #15 Map (db m23269) HM
Vermont (Windham County), Wilmington — Wilmington Veterans Monument
Roll of Honor Dedicated to Those Who Offered Their Lives in Humanity’s Defense in The War of the Nations 1914 – 1918 And in Memory of Those Indicated Here by Gold Stars, Who Gave Their * Last Full Measure of Devotion * Charles E. Allen • Harold G. Allen • Giovanni B. Barufaldi • Peter Barufaldi • Fred Bass • Glenn W. Bassett • John Burtasket • Arthur F. Blaine • * Ernest Boyd • Hiram N. Boyd • Oscar B. Carter • Nick Cassone • Earle E. Colby • Lyndon L. . . . — Map (db m23268) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Bridgewater — Bridgewater Veterans Memorial
Bridgewater Veterans Memorial In Memory of the Veterans I Know Who You Are I Know Where You Were I Know What You Did But I Don’t Know The Pain You Went Through                   Lindsay Williams                   Bus 6 In Memory of Earl B. Thomas 1926 – 1993 A dream comes true … [Left panel]: World War II Dec. 7, 1941 – Dec. 31, 1946 Adams Derwood • Adams Mary H. • Adams Norman • Avery John • Ayer Earl M. – K • Ayer . . . — Map (db m23179) WM
Vermont (Windsor County), Bridgewater — Bridgewater World War I Monument
Honor Roll Adams, Ernest J. • Adams, Leon D. • * Adams, Lester W. • Adams, Royal L. • Atwood, Harland • Atwood, Leon A. • Ayer, Melvin C. • Baker, Harold • Becker, Levi • Biathrow, Phillip • Bradley, Clifford • Cady, Lynn Z. • Cady, William S. • Capron, Claude R. • Cole, Walter C. • Cushman, Louis • Dailey, Milton A. • Dalrymple, Lester • Davis, Earl W. • Davis, Lee B. • Fife, Orville • Geno, Napolean A. • Geno, Victor • * Geno, William • Goodnough, Lynn • Harris, Luman • Moulton, Louis • . . . — Map (db m23167) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Cavendish — The Gage Accident1848 — Cavendish
One of the most remarkable events in medical history occured about ¾ mile (1 km) from here.

On 13th September 1848, Phineas P. Gage, a railroad construction foreman from Lebanon (NH), suffered massive brain damage when a 3ft 7in (107 cm) long, 13¼ Pound (6 kg) tamping iron was accidentally blown completely through his head.

Under the care of Dr John Martyn Harlow, the Cavendish physician, Gage soon recovered physically but was mentally greatly changed. Once an efficient and capable . . . — Map (db m44099) HM

Vermont (Windsor County), Chester — Chester Civil War Memorial
[ South Plaque ] Roll of Honor to Those Who Sleep Where They Fell. Sewell Barker, Corp. Co. G. 7th Vt. Vols. Joseph W. Fletcher, Corp. Co. H. 10th Vt. Vols. Azro B. Stiles, Corp. Co. K. 4th Vt. Vols. Rensselaer H. Tarbell, Corp. Co. E. 16th Vt. Vols. Francis G. Fassett, Corp. Co. C. 7th & Co. E. 16th Vt. Vols. William Piper, Sergt. Co. D. 9th Vt. Vols. Ransom T. Thompson, Sergt. Co. D. 9th Vt. Vols. Elmer L. Adams, Co. G. 7th Vt. Vols. Lewis A. Bryant, Co. . . . — Map (db m23189) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Chester — Chester Vietnam Conflict Monument
Dedicated to the Men and Women Of Chester Who Served Their Country in the Vietnam Conflict Erected by the Citizens of Chester Dedicated May 27, 1974 [ Left Panel ] Adams John Stanley • Amsden Clyde Emersom • Amsden Roy Leonard • Amsden Russell Roland • Bargfrede Richard W • Bargfrede David Frank • Basso Robert Arthur • Bates Lee Edward • Benson Eugene Charles • Benson Paul Raymond • Benson Roy Gordon • Bratton Robert W • Burton William . . . — Map (db m23243) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Chester — Chester World War I and II and Korean Conflict Monument
Valor Dedicated to the Men and Women of Chester who served their Country in World War I and II and in the Korean Conflict [434 names are inscribed on the monument.] Map (db m23407) WM
Vermont (Windsor County), Norwich — Alden Partridge(1784-1854)
A native of Norwich, Vermont, Alden Partridge was a pioneer in American military education. Superintendent of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point from 1815 to 1817, he returned here in 1819 to found the American Literary, Scientific and Military Academy, which, in 1834, became Norwich University, now located in Northfield, VT. Partridge’s innovative curriculum, called the “American System of Education”, combined military, practical, scientific and liberal instruction. The . . . — Map (db m32159) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Norwich — American Literary, Scientific, and Military Academy1819-1994
This tablet marks the site of the American Literary, Scientific, and Military Academy. Founded by Captain Alden Partridge in 1819 and incorporated as the Norwich University by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont in 1834. Following a disastrous fire in 1866 the institution was removed to Northfield Vermont. The bricks in this memorial were taken from the ruins of the Old South Barracks. — Map (db m44863) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Norwich — Early Settlers & Allen R. Foley
Site of a log hut where the Hutchinson and Messenger Families were the first to winter in Norwich in 1765. Erected by the Norwich Historical Society in memory of Professor Allen Rich Foley, Vermont Legislator and Historian 1898-1978. — Map (db m32191) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Norwich — First Public Grammar SchoolLocated on this site
On June 17, 1785, the Vermont General Assembly enacted a law which designated “the place for keeping a County Grammar School in and for Windsor County, shall be at the house commonly known by the name the Red Schoolhouse in Norwich,” thus initiating the provision of Vermont’s First Constitution for schools of secondary learning. — Map (db m32189) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Norwich — Theta Chi Fraternity
Near this spot stood the Old South Barracks of Norwich University where, at 9:00 pm on April 10, 1856 Theta Chi Fraternity was founded by Frederick Norton Freeman and Arthur Chase — Map (db m32162) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Plymouth Notch — Calvin Coolidge1872 - 1933
Born July 4, 1872 in a house back of store, Calvin Coolidge from 4 years of age lived in the homestead across the road, now owned by the State of Vermont. Here on Aug. 3, 1923 he was inaugurated President and he spent many vacations. In the Notch Cemetery he rests beside his wife & son and 4 generations of forebears. — Map (db m19755) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Plymouth Notch — Calvin Coolidge Homestead
Calvin Coolidge Homestead has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark. Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1933 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States. U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service 1966. — Map (db m62155) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Royalton — The Royalton RaidOctober 16, 1780
To terrorize the valley from Tunbridge to Royalton, nearly 300 Indians led by a British officer fell on these defenseless frontier settlements, killing 4, taking 26 prisoners, & reducing Royalton to ashes. The captives hauled back to Canada were sold for $8.00 a head. This was the most calamitous of Vermont's many Indian raids. — Map (db m58273) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), South Royalton — Joseph Smith MonumentMormon Prophet's Birthplace
Joseph Smith, founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was born near here on December 23, 1805. A visitor's center and a 38½ foot tall monument, considered the world's largest polished granite shaft, commemorates his life and is located at the birthplace 2½ miles up Dairy Hill Road. The site is open year round. — Map (db m37198) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Springfield — Eureka Schoolhouse & Baltimore Covered Bridge
The Eureka Schoolhouse, constructed between 1785 and 1790, is Vermont’s oldest one-room school and one of the few surviving 18th century public buildings in the state. It was originally located in the “Eureka Four Corners,” northeast of Springfield village, and was in continuous use until 1900. The schoolhouse was brought to this site and restored by a committee of Springfield citizens and the Vermont Board of Historic Sites in 1968. The pine board exterior, simulating stone block, . . . — Map (db m23180) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Springfield — William JarvisConsul to Lisbon was first to import Merino sheep to U.S.
In 1811 Consul Jarvis brought from Spain to his farm in Weathersfield Bow the prized Merino sheep, whose longer fiber revolutionized the woolen industry and stimulated sheep raising throughout the East. In the 1830’s Merinos were the state’s principal livestock. — Map (db m65800) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Weston — Weston Civil War Monument
Presented to the Town of Weston by Harrison Meads In Memory of the Soldiers of Said Town Who Gave Their Lives in The War of the Rebellion, 1861 – 1865 George E. Meads, Berdans 1st Reg. Of Sharpshooters Co. F. Died Sept. 9, 1862 at Alexandria Va. A. Abbott • D. Allen • G.A. Beckwith • D.W. Bolster • L.A. Britten • J.P. Bryant • N.O. Cook • G. Fuller • A.H. Hale • J. Hale • R.M. Patch • W.H. Pease • S.P. Peck • M.V. Robbins • H. Stevens • J.H. West • S.A. Winship — Map (db m23223) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Weston — Weston Korean War – Vietnam War Monument
Honor Roll Korean War 1950 – 1955 Donald E. Ballantine • Albert G. Decell • Eugene E. Decell • Marvin C. Decell • Norman L. Decell • Edmund R. Gabert, Jr. • Harold J. Hale • Charles O. Hart • Glenn W. Hart • Gordon G. Hart • Harry A. Hart • Samuel Lloyd • Eric B. Lundberg, Jr. • Lloyd S. Miller, Jr. • Donald A. Moore • Geoffrey D.C. Orton • Harry S. Simonds • Peggy Slevin • Ryland R. Spaulding, Jr. • Wilder D. Tuttle Honor Roll Vietnam War 1964 – 1975 Peter A. . . . — Map (db m23165) WM
Vermont (Windsor County), Weston — Weston Village Historic District
Marker Front: The village of Weston is on the National Register of Historic Places. Settled in 1761, originally as the West Town of Andover. Weston was incorporated 1n 1799. The Farrar Mansur House, built c. 1795, served as a home, tavern and community center. It is now a museum of Weston’s early history. The Mill, built on the site of a 1780 sawmill, was revived as a water powered gristmill in 1936. It contains an important collection of early trade tools. Weston’s first firehouse, . . . — Map (db m23166) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), White River Junction — Disastrous Train Wreck
At 2:10 AM on February 5, 1887 the last car of The Montreal Express derailed causing three cars to fall from the bridge and crash on the ice of the White River 43 feet below. Embers from the coal stoves ignited the spilled oil of the lanterns and fire consumed the wreckage. Twenty-five passengers and 5 crew members perished. As a direct result of the wreck, oil lanterns and coal stoves were abolished on railroad trains, and electric lights and steam heat were adopted. — Map (db m64891) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), White River Junction — VermontGateway to Green Mt. State
White River Junction, a natural transportation center, is where highways, rivers and railways converge. In 1759 the rapids at the confluence of the White and Conn. Rivers nearly brought death to Robert Rogers and 3 Rangers. Vermont’s first train ran from the Junction to Bethel in 1848. — Map (db m32193) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Windsor — Constitution House
Windsor, settled in 1764, became the political center of the Upper Connecticut River Valley. Here the Constitution of the “Free and Independent State of Vermont” was adopted at the tavern of Elijah West on July 8, 1777. This constitution was the first to prohibit slavery and establish universal manhood suffrage. Vermont was an independent republic until 1791, when it was admitted into the Union as the 14th state. — Map (db m65814) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Woodstock — Hiram Powers
Hiram Powers, one of the most famous nineteenth century sculptors, was born in 1805 in a farmhouse that stood on this hillside. Although he went west with his family at a young age, and took up residence in Florence, Italy, in 1837, Powers always referred to Woodstock as his home town. He said of his most famous work, “The Greek Slave” (the first nude female sculpture ever displayed in the U.S.), that he had dreamt of her rising from the mists of the Ottauquechee River. He died in . . . — Map (db m32221) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Woodstock — Justin Morgan
On this site the progenitor of the famous Morgan breed of horses was owned by Sheriff William Rice about 1800. Justin Morgan took his name from that of the singing schoolmaster who originally brought him to Vermont, but who lost possession of the later famous horse to Sheriff Rice in payment of a debt. — Map (db m23168) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Woodstock — Marianne Gaillard Faulkner
Marker Front: Born September 19, 1859, in Mobile, Alabama, Marianne Gaillard married Edward Daniels Faulkner in 1885. Edward owned Johnson & Faulkner, a very successful and prosperous upholstery firm in New York City The couple bought the former Woodward mansion on Mountain Avenue prior to WWI and spent many summers here. After Edward’s death in 1926, Marianne Faulkner spent increasingly more time in Woodstock. Mrs. Faulkner was generous benefactor to the town. Among her gifts are . . . — Map (db m64888) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Woodstock — Site of First Ski Tow in the United StatesWoodstock, Vermont
In January, 1934, on this pasture hill of Clinton Gilbert’s farm an endless-rope tow, powered by a Model “T” Ford engine, hauled skiers uphill for the first time.
This ingenious contraption launched a new era in winter sports. — Map (db m50866) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Woodstock — Woodstock
Marker Front: Was chartered by New Hampshire Royal Governor Benning Wentworth in 1761. It was named the Shire Town of Windsor County in 1786 and quickly became a prosperous manufacturing and commercial center. The town has been home to George Perkins Marsh, environmentalist; Frederick Billings, railroad empire-builder; Senator Jacob Collamer, advisor to President Lincoln; and Laurance Rockefeller, conservationist and philanthropist. It was the birthplace of Hiram Powers, noted sculptor . . . — Map (db m32195) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Woodstock — Woodstock Civil War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m23169) HM
144 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 291 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.