Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wisconsin Historical Markers

2342 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 2092
East Arkdale Cemetery Marker image, Click for more information
By Keith L, April 19, 2008
East Arkdale Cemetery Marker
Wisconsin (Adams County), Arkdale — East Arkdale Cemetery
On July 11, 1859, Mr. Halvor Olson offered this 1/2 acre of his land to be used as a cemetery for the members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church (Hauge Synod) here in the Roche a Cree (Arkdale) settlement. People of the community outside the . . . — Map (db m7368) HM
Wisconsin (Adams County), Arkdale — Lutheran Church of the Norwegian Synod
On this site once stood a Lutheran Church of the Norwegian Synod, from the years 1887 to 1921. This church developed because of a disagreement on some doctrinal points with the United Lutheran Church which stood one half mile south of here. . . . — Map (db m4657) HM
Wisconsin (Adams County), Arkdale — 390 — Site of the First Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Roche-a-Cri
In 1850, a group of Norwegian settlers from Koshkonong, the foremost Norwegian settlement colony in the United States at the time, left their southern Wisconsin home and migrated north, settling here in "Roch-a-Cree" or Roche-a-Cri. Imbued with . . . — Map (db m36123) HM
Wisconsin (Adams County), Arkdale — West Church
In 1853, Norwegian immigrants to this area, organized the Norwegian Evangelical Church of Roche-a-Cri, in 1860. A log church was constructed one mile south of this location. It was destroyed by fire in 1866. A frame church was then erected on this . . . — Map (db m4658) HM
Wisconsin (Adams County), Friendship — 260 — Roche-A-Cri State Park
This prominent butte, perhaps the steepest hill in Wisconsin, was called La Roche-a-Cri by 17th and 18th century French voyageurs. Rising 300 feet above the surrounding plain, this landmark undoubtedly guided Indians and early pioneers. Indians of . . . — Map (db m19822) HM
Wisconsin (Adams County), Friendship — Veterans Memorial / Cpl. Red Cloud Tribute
Korea Lest We Forget In Honor of all Veterans, POWs – MIAs 24th Infantry "Victory Division" Designed by Cpl. Donald E. Hahn 34th and 19th Reg. Tribute to Cpl. Mitchell Red Cloud . . . — Map (db m37091) HM
Wisconsin (Adams County), Monroe Center — Monroe Cemetery
Ira and Ransom Gleason, father and uncle to Charlotte and Francis Marion Rous set aside the original acre of land for this cemetery, from the land they obtained through the Public Lands Act of 1820. This plaque in memory of Edna Rous Russell and . . . — Map (db m7534) HM
Wisconsin (Adams County), Rome — Spring Branch Cemetery Veterans Memorial
Duty, Honor, Country We dedicate this monument to all our service men and women in all wars and conflicts. United States Army United States Marines United States Navy United States Air Force United States Coast Guard . . . — Map (db m41686) WM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — Doctor Edwin Ellis1824 - 1903 — Father of Ashland
A man of indomitable faith, he brought culture to a wilderness. Learning and religion were of first concern. Freely giving to both, he labored unceasingly for a city whose good lay very close to his heart. — Map (db m94062) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — 304 — Fleet Admiral William D. Leahy
William Daniel Leahy was born in Iowa in 1875 and his family soon moved to Wisconsin. He graduated from Ashland High School in 1892 and for the rest of his life considered Ashland his home town. Leahy graduated from the Naval Academy and served . . . — Map (db m48412) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — 224 — Northland College
North Wisconsin Academy, founded in 1892 by the Congregational Churches, provided the first high school education available to young people of the small, isolated lumber camp, sawmill and farm communities in the area known as the Great Lakes Pinery, . . . — Map (db m48411) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — 6 — Radisson-Groseilliers Fort
A crude structure of boughs of trees “layed acrosse, one upon an other” was erected near here by Pierre Radisson and Medart Groseilliers in 1659. The two French traders came to Chequamegon Bay from Montreal and Radisson's account of . . . — Map (db m48410) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — Schooner LucerneHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Type; Wooden Schooner, three-masted Built: 1873, Parsons & Humble, Tonawanda, N.Y. Sank: November 17, 1886 Length: 195’ Beam: 34’ Cargo: Grain, coal, and iron ore Depth: 20’ Lives Lost: 9 Listed on the National Register of Historic . . . — Map (db m46920) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Glidden — Glidden State Bank
Glidden State Bank Circa 1905 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Nominated by Jerry Hellenbrand - 2006 — Map (db m47483) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Glidden — 54 — Great Divide
You are now on the great divide which seperates the two principal drainage areas of Wisconsin. Water falling to the north of this point finds its way into Lake Superior, then down through the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River 2,000 miles into . . . — Map (db m47222) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Glidden — World's Largest White Pine LogBiggest & Last Sleigh Hauled Log
This white pine log was sleigh hauled to Glidden on Dec. 21, 1984 on the sleigh it sets on. It was cut on State 40 14 miles east of Glidden. Its estimated weight is 7000 lbs. The 20 ft log scaled 1960 [?] board ft. Estimated age 500 to 600 . . . — Map (db m47534) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), La Pointe — Early VesselsWisconsin's Maritime Trails
Native American canoes launched North America’s maritime legacy about 12,000 years ago, making them among the world’s oldest watercraft. The origins of the birchbark canoe are told in the oral traditions of the Ojibwe people. The spirit . . . — Map (db m57836) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), La Pointe — 108 — Madeline IslandKnown to the Ojibway Indians as Moningwunakauning, "The Home of The Golden Breasted Woodpecker"
The largest of the Apostle Islands was one of the earliest areas of Indian settlement, fur trade, missionary activity and commercial fishing in the interior of North America. It was discovered by French explorers in 1659. Trading posts were built . . . — Map (db m57662) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Odanah — 70 — The Bad River
The Mauvaise (Bad) River was so named by the French due to the difficulties of its navigation. The Indians called it Mushkeezeebi or Marsh River. In 1845 the Rev. L.H. Wheeler, Protestant missionary at La Pointe, planned an agricultural settlement . . . — Map (db m63661) HM
Wisconsin (Barron County), Chetek — 218 — Pine Was King
Vast forests of virgin white pine were the treasure which brought the first wave of white settlers to Northern Wisconsin. The farms came later, but for half a century the forests were local history. In 1847, the Knapp, Stout & Co. purchased . . . — Map (db m45069) HM
Wisconsin (Barron County), Dobie — 469 — Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church
The congregation for this church traces its roots back to 1870 when people first held services in their homes in what was originally called Stanfold. This community later became Dobie. Their first Catholic church was built in 1876 but was destroyed . . . — Map (db m45151) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Bayfield — Bayfield Historic WaterfrontEastern Waterfront / Ferry Dock — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails
Bayfield’s history has been powerfully shaped by its location. Situated on the shores of a deep, natural harbor, the city is sheltered from Lake Superior’s notorious storms by the outlying Apostle Islands. Lighthouses, shipwrecks, and a historic . . . — Map (db m57835) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Bayfield — Memorial to Commercial Fishermen of BayfieldPast—Present—Future
Dedicated in 1981 to the hard working commercial fishermen whose indomitable spirits will not be forgotten. Commissioned by Edwin Erickson, Mayor of Bayfield, 1970-1976 & 1980-1988 Designed by Harold Kerr (1909-1981) Constructed by . . . — Map (db m57811) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Bayfield — The Booth Cooperage
At one time, a local fishery once encompassed this entire block. Early sailing vessels would bring their harvests here to be salt packed in barrels and shipped to market. Here in “The Cooperage,” one of the remaining buildings of that . . . — Map (db m57810) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Cornucopia — 28 — Tragedy of The Siskiwit
Once upon a time, according to an old Indian legend, the sand beach on the east side of this bay was a favorite camping ground. One spring a few lodges of Chippewa from La Pointe encamped here. When their chief, Bi-aus-wah, returned from the hunt, . . . — Map (db m30843) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Herbster — 522 — "The Gym"
When the community sought funding for a new gymnasium and town hall, they looked to the Work Progress Administration, a depression-era program, which utilized local materials and labor to create jobs for unemployed workers. Architect Roland C. Buck . . . — Map (db m36553) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Port Wing — 145 — School Consolidation
As the 20th century began, logging operations were in full swing in this area and the small log schoolhouses could not handle the increasing number of students. Some classes were held in churches but additional facilities were needed. T.N. . . . — Map (db m30845) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Town of Russell — Hokenson Brothers Fishery
Harvesting the Waters In 1927, the Hokenson brothers (Leo, Roy, and Eskel) began life as fishermen. For more than 30 years, they met the challenges of fishing the largest lake in the world, relying on their skills, strength, and . . . — Map (db m46908) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Town of Russell — Steamer SevonaHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails
Type: Steel, bulk and package freighter Built: 1890, Frank W. Wheeler, Bay City, Mich. Sank: September 2, 1905 Length: 372’ Beam: 41’ Cargo: Iron ore Propulsion: Propeller Depth of Wreckage: 25’ Lives Lost: 7 Listed on the . . . — Map (db m46907) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — Bank of Washburn1890
The Bank of Washburn is a unique variation of the Romanesque Revival Style designed by architects Conover & Porter of Ashland, Wisconsin. Built in less than one year, the building was fashioned from brownstone quarried at Houghton Point located . . . — Map (db m48439) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — 49 — Madeline Island
To the east is Madeline Island, known to the Ojibway as Moning-wunakauning, “The Home of the Golden Breasted Woodpecker.” The French soldier Pierre le Sueur built his post there in 1693. In 1718 a fort was erected which remained France’s . . . — Map (db m30844) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — The Sprague WellHistorical Landmark
The Sprague Well, believed to be the first drilled artesian well in Bayfield County, was completed at 119 feet 8 inches in April, 1903 by Monroe H. Sprague at the mill office of the Akeley–Sprague Lumber Co. Flow from the 4 inch casing was . . . — Map (db m57812) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — Washburn Historic WaterfrontBigelow / Hines Railroad Trestle — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails
In the early days of Washburn, the waterfront was filled with saw mills. The A.A. Bigelow Mill (1887-1902), later to become the Hines Mill, was the largest of three major sawmills in Washburn. It rested on pilings that ran directly out from the . . . — Map (db m57839) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — Washburn Lumbering Days / The Hines Lumber Company
(side 1) Washburn Lumbering Days Washburn begins on the shoreline of Chequamegon Bay. The city rises gradually 75 ft. above level of the water. In 1884, the town was created, born of the necessity of the railway (Chicago, St. Paul, . . . — Map (db m57824) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — Washburn, The Monolith City
This title was given back in 1892 when Frederick Prentice, president of the Prentice Brownstone Co. of Wisconsin, offered to supply a huge brownstone monolith for the Wisconsin Exhibit at the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago. He proposed to furnish this . . . — Map (db m48441) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Allouez — First Episcopal Mission in Wisconsin
Near this site stood the first Episcopal Mission in Wisconsin Founded in 1827 by the Reverend Richard Fish-Cadle Later first director of Nashotah House — Map (db m68040) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Allouez — First Redemptorist Church in America
The church of St. John the Evangelist, the first church of the Redemptorists in this hemisphere, stood 215 feet east of this marker. It was begun by Rev. S. Mazzuchelli, O. P. and completed by Redemptorist missionaries sent from Europe by Rev. . . . — Map (db m66522) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Allouez — 239 — Heritage Hill State Park
This park, built to portray and preserve Wisconsin's beginnings, is located on a site that is itself a part of history. On this 40-acre site stood Camp Smith--a temporary location of Fort Howard--part of the pioneer settlement known as Shantytown, . . . — Map (db m10544) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Allouez — The Catholic Bark Chapel
Built by the Indians for Father Claude Allouez in 1671, this is a replica of Wisconsin's first Catholic Church. The original was part of Mission St. Francis Xavior, about one mile south of this site. — Map (db m68048) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — Address by President LincolnAt The dedication Of — The Gettysburg National Cemetery
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that . . . — Map (db m60509) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — Brown County Court House 1838 to 1854
The site of the Brown County Court House from 1838 to 1854.

Erected by Jean Nicolet Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1930 — Map (db m38984) HM

Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — 189 — Marquette–Jolliet
Here in June, 1673, an expedition headed by Jesuit priest Jacques Marquette and his companion Louis Jolliet departed from St. Francis Xavier Mission to find and explore the upper Mississippi River. In September they returned here to record their . . . — Map (db m10393) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — 266 — Rapides des PeresVoyageur Park
The rapids at De Pere were well known to all early travelers along the Fox and Wisconsin rivers, which provided the best access to the Mississippi. Despite Indian domination, the waterway served explorers, fur traders and voyageurs, missionaries, . . . — Map (db m11053) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — St. Norbert College & The PackersPackers Heritage Trail — Lambeau-Lombardi Spur
St. Norbert College became the training camp of the Packers in 1958 in an agreement that would become the longest such partnership in NFL history. Father Dennis M. Burke, then president of the college, suggested the arrangement to the team that year . . . — Map (db m56440) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — 262 — White Pillars
This building was erected in 1836 to serve as the office of the Fox River Hydraulic Company, which was chartered by Wisconsin's first Territorial Legislature to construct a dam at Rapides des Peres. Following the 1837 financial crisis, notes issued . . . — Map (db m10887) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Denmark — 373 — Denmark
In 1848, immigrants from Langeland, Denmark, seeking economic opportunity and plentiful farmland, settled in this vicinity. The Danes purchased land here and called their early settlement "Copenhagen," later changed to Denmark. In subse­quent years, . . . — Map (db m22453) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 11 — 1634 • 1909
Commemorating the discovery of Wisconsin in 1634 by Jean Nicolet, emissary of Governor Champlain of New France. In this vicinity Nicolet first met the Winnebago Indians. Unveiled August 12, 1909, by members of the State Historical Society of . . . — Map (db m15786) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Alexis De Tocqueville
Alexis De Tocqueville The 25 year-old French aristocrat and author of Democracy In America visited this area during his 1831 - 1832 tour of America Placed by C-Span and the cable television industry while retracing the tour in 1997 - 1998 — Map (db m39543) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Augustin de Langlade
On the river shore Block 3 Astor directly west of this marker stood about the year 1745 the home and trading house of Augustin de Langlade and his distinguished son Charles, the first permanent settlers of Wisconsin. Charles . . . — Map (db m39145) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Bank Of Wisconsin
. . . — Map (db m39144) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Bellevue ParkPackers Heritage Trail — Packing Plant Spur
Bellevue Park served as the Packers' home field from 1923 to 1924 and was the site of the first Packers-Bears game played in Green Bay. Bellevue Park was built in less than three weeks in the spring of 1923 with wood salvaged from the stands at . . . — Map (db m56414) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Bellin BuildingPackers Heritage Trail
Gerald Clifford and Dr. W. W. Kelly, two members of the "Hungry Five," a group of local men critical to the survival of the Packers over their first three decades, had offices here. Kelly was a physician with an office on the fourth floor. Clifford . . . — Map (db m56344) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Birthplace Of The PackersPackers Heritage Trail
The Green Bay Packers were organized on Aug. 11, 1919, in the old Green Bay Press-Gazette building that stood here at 315 Cherry Street. The meeting took place in the editorial department on the second floor. Two days later, the paper briefly . . . — Map (db m56385) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Brown County Civil War Memorial61 Heroes 65
Dedicated To The Memory of the brave men of Brown County who fought to preserve the union. Erected by the Woman's Relief Corps No.91. Auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic 1934 — Map (db m43396) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Brown County CourthousePackers Heritage Trail
The imposing Brown County Courthouse was where the first stockholders meeting of the newly formed non-profit Green Bay Football Corporation was held on Sept. 17, 1923. It was the first of many important Packer meetings held here over the next four . . . — Map (db m60522) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Bryan Bartlett Starr"Bart" No. 15
Quarterback 1956 to 1971 Head Coach 1975 to 1983 6 Conference Championships 5 NFL Championships Pro Bowl Team 1961,62,63,67 All Pro Selection 1961,62,64,66 MVP Super Bowl 1 MVP Super Bowl 2 NFL MVP 1966 Elected to Pro . . . — Map (db m39251) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Chicago & North Western DepotPackers Heritage Trail
The Chicago & North Western Depot was the Packer's usual port of call for road trips over nearly four decades. And often those trips started or ended, or both, with a party thrown by the team's ever-faithful fans. They threw impromptu . . . — Map (db m56341) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — City StadiumPackers Heritage Trail
City Stadium is one of the last remaining relics from the early days of the National Football League. Although its appearance has greatly changed from the time when the Packers played here, it stands as a monument to the team's humble, hardscrabble . . . — Map (db m56388) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 494 — Cnesses Israel Synagogue
Upon this site stood Cnesses Israel Synagogue, the first Jewish congregation in Brown County dedicated September 4, 1904 (24 Elul 5664). Designed by local architect Henry A. Foeller, the synagogue was Moorish in design and had two octagonal towers . . . — Map (db m51362) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Columbus Community ClubPackers Heritage Trail
The Columbus Community Club, which opened in 1925 as a recreational and social center, played many roles in Packer history. In the 1920s, before radio broadcasts of Packer games, large crowds gathered on Sunday afternoons when the team was . . . — Map (db m60523) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Curly Lambeau's Birthplace HomePackers Heritage Trail
Earl Louis “Curly” Lambeau is Green Bay's most famous native son and the driving force behind the city's most treasured jewel. The storied Green Bay Packers were largely his creation, and they've become his lasting legacy. Born in . . . — Map (db m56336) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Curly Lambeau's Office Northern BuildingPackers Heritage Trail
Curly Lambeau occupied an office in the Northern Building for nearly 20 years while he was coaching the Packers, but visitors might have been taken aback by the sign on his door. It read: Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Co. Lambeau was an . . . — Map (db m56362) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Downtown Green BayPackers Heritage Trail
The Packers were founded in downtown Green Bay in 1919 and have had a presence here ever since. In 1921, their inaugural season in what is now the NFL, they held their first practice at the Old Courthouse Grounds at the southwest corner of . . . — Map (db m56346) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Earl L. (Curly) LambeauFounder/V.P./Head Coach/Player 1919–49
Curly Lambeau founded the Green Bay Packers in 1919 and was a driving force in the team's early years, including the 1921 decision to join what is now the NFL. He served as head coach for the franchise's first 31 seasons, leading the Packers to six . . . — Map (db m77462) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Elks ClubPackers Heritage Trail
The Elks Club was the site of an annual sports banquet that honored many of the biggest names in Packer history from the Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi eras. The first was billed as the "Lombardi Testimonial Banquet" and was held in April . . . — Map (db m56377) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Elvis Favorite RideThe Zippin Pippin
The Zippin Pippin was Elvis Presley's favorite ride. The "King" rented Libertyland August 8, 1977 from 1:15 a.m. to 7 a.m. to entertain a group of about 10 guests. Decked in a blue jumpsuit with black leather belt, huge belt buckle with turquoise . . . — Map (db m66565) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — First Catholic Church In Green Bay
Near this site stood the first Catholic church in Green Bay begun in the year of our Lord 1823 by Father Gabriel Richard Vicar Apostolic of the Northwest and finished by Father Stephen Badin first resident pastor and missionary. A short . . . — Map (db m39394) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Fort Howard Stockade
853 degrees north 45 degrees, 7 minutes east, from this tablet, stands a flag pole, marking the southeast corner of the stockade of Fort Howard; occupied by United States troops August 1816, and almost continuously until 1852. On this site also . . . — Map (db m39257) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Freimann Hotel Building
In 1896, Michael Freimann built a large three story hotel building on what had previously been a vacant lot. The building first served as the O'Neil Hotel but was soon renamed the New Freimann Hotel in 1898. The building typically housed about ten . . . — Map (db m39058) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 237 — Green Bay Packers
The Green Bay Packers, an institution and a legend, are unique. The only publicly-owned club in professional sports, they were founded as a town team in 1919 by E. L. "Curly" Lambeau, who coached them to six world championships. They acquired . . . — Map (db m37200) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Green Bay Press-GazettePackers Heritage Trail
The Packers might have been born in the old Press-Gazette building five years before this one was completed, but the close ties between the team and the newspaper carried on here. Had it not been for the Press-Gazette, and particularly Andrew . . . — Map (db m56358) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Hagemeister ParkPackers Heritage Trail
Hagemeister Park was the home of the Packers from 1919, their inaugural season as a semipro team, through 1922, their second year in the NFL. Before East High School and City Stadium were built, Hagemeister Park included the tract of land from . . . — Map (db m56395) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 156 — Hazelwood
On this site Morgan L. Martin (1805-87) built this home in 1837, after his marriage to Elizabeth Smith of Plattsburgh, N.Y. It was a center of social, literary and political accomplishment for nearly a century. Coming here in 1827 as a young . . . — Map (db m37202) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — HazelwoodHazelwood was the home... — Fox River Trail
of the Morgan L. Martin family for 100 years (1837-1937). Martin was a prominent Green Bay attorney, civic leader, Indian agent and entrepreneur, originally from upstate New York, who helped lay the foundation for Wisconsin's statehood. In 1848, . . . — Map (db m37204) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 540 — Historic Green Bay Road
In 1829, citizens of the Green Bay area petitioned Congress to build a road to Chicago. Following an ancient Indian trail, the military road to connect Fort Howard at Green Bay with Fort Dearborn at Chicago was surveyed by the U.S. War Department . . . — Map (db m68166) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Hotel NorthlandPackers Heritage Trail
The Hotel Northland was the social hub of Green Bay and more specifically the city's nerve center during football weekends and other Packer events from shortly after it opened in 1924 through the 1960s. Vince Lombardi's introductory press . . . — Map (db m60521) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Indian Packing Plant & Acme Packing PlantPackers Heritage Trail — Packing Plant Spur
The Indian Packing Corp. was the original sponsor of the Packers. Curly Lambeau was working at the packing plant in 1919 when he took the lead in organizing the team. Frank Peck, the company's president at the time, gave Lambeau $500 in cash to buy . . . — Map (db m60562) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Influence of the Fur TradeGreen Bay was home... — Fox River Trail
to many people for thousands of years before the first Europeans arrived. The rich waters of the bay attracted a number of American Indian Tribes - all members of a large and complex trading network stretching throughout North America. Green . . . — Map (db m43813) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 32 — La Baye Burial Place"La Baye Cemetery"
La Baye burial place 1720 - 1835 Land donated by Domitille de Langlade Grignon - Langevin — Map (db m39398) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Love at First Leap[The Lambeau Leap]

Since that frigid December day in 1993 when LeRoy Butler made a spontaneous leap into the arms of fans, the Lambeau Leap has become a Packers tradition. It declares that nothing gets in the way between Packers players and their fans. In all of . . . — Map (db m89954) HM

Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Menomineeville, Seat of JusticeIn 1823, James Doty... — Fox River Trail
was appointed by President Monroe as a district judge for the northern and western Michigan Territory, which included what is now the state of Wisconsin. Doty set up the region's new court in an empty log building. Three years later, . . . — Map (db m43822) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Milwaukee Road DepotPackers Heritage Trail
Back when The Packers traveled exclusively by train, they were welcomed home here at the Milwaukee Road Depot by throngs of joyous fans after clinching three of the six NFL championships they won under Curly Lambeau. The celebrations took place . . . — Map (db m56337) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Milwaukee Road Passenger Depot — Fox River Trail
The Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad… later known as the Milwaukee Road came to Green Bay in 1873. This depot was built in 1898 and was the only passenger depot located on the east side of the river. It served as a . . . — Map (db m43821) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Minahan's TombOverlooking Riverside Drive... — Fox River Trail
and the Fox River Trail is the tomb of Dr. William Edward Minahan, who died in the sinking of the Titanic. William had four brothers who were also doctors, and his oldest brother, Robert, was also a lawyer who served as mayor of Green Bay from . . . — Map (db m43818) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Naval Veterans Monument
Dedicated to the Glory of God and in Memory to All Men and Women Who Served in the Naval Forces of the United States Erected by the Navy Club, Ship 18 1956 Rededicated June 1996 — Map (db m66600) WM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Nicolet Landing1634-1909
Commemorating the discovery of Wisconsin in 1634 by Jean Nicolet, Emissary of Governor Champlain of New France. In this vicinity Nicolet first met the Winnebago Indians. — Map (db m39541) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Oneida Veterans Memorial
Welcome to the Oneida Veterans Memorial Civil War About the War: The civil war was fought in 1861-1865 between the United States (the "Union" or the "North") and several southern slave states that declared their secession and . . . — Map (db m78976) WM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Packers Heritage TrailPackers Heritage Trail
The Packers Heritage Trail was designed as a self-guided walking tour past a treasure trove of landmarks that played a big part in the history of the Green Bay Packers from Curly Lambeau's era through Vince Lombardi's. During those 50 years, . . . — Map (db m56310) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Packers Office BuildingPackers Heritage Trail
The Packers moved into the south side of this building, located at 349 S. Washington St., in 1949 and occupied it until a new administration building was completed next to what is now Lambeau Field in 1963. Curly Lambeau was the first coach to . . . — Map (db m60579) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Packers Practice FieldsPackers Heritage Trail — Packing Plant Spur
During the 32 seasons that the Packers played at City Stadium, they mostly practiced on nearby fields. As early as 1923, when East High was under construction, the Packers practiced in front of the school in Joannes Park. In 1937, they created . . . — Map (db m56411) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Port of Green Bay's Economic ImpactA Critical Link... — Fox River Trail
in Wisconsin’s transportation system is the Port of Green Bay. It serves as a multi-modal distribution center connecting waterborne vessels with an extensive network of highways and railroads. The Port of Green Bay provides Northeast Wisconsin . . . — Map (db m43812) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 62 — Red Banks
Many of the explorers who followed Columbus were more interested in finding an easy route to Asia than they were in exploring and settling this continent. In 1634 Jean Nicolet, emissary of Gov. Samuel de Champlain of New France, landed at Red Banks . . . — Map (db m22457) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Riverside BallroomPackers Heritage Trail — Packing Plant Spur
The Packers used the Riverside as indoor practice facility when there were no such luxuries. Before their final game in 1940, Coach Curly Lambeau held practice here over two days due to snow, ice and sub-freezing temperatures. The Packers worked out . . . — Map (db m56408) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Robert E. Harlan Plaza
Robert E. (Bob) Harlan, the ninth president in Packers history, played a central role in orchestrating the $295 million Lambeau Field redevelopment, first unveiled in 2000 and completed at the start of the 2003 season. Harlan's unwavering leadership . . . — Map (db m77463) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — September 11, 2001 MemorialIn Loving Memory Of The Known And Unknown, The Found And The Unfound
The World Trade Center - American Airlines Flight 11 - American Airlines Flight 175 - United Airlines Flight 93 - United Airlines Flight 77 - The Pentagon Wisconsin's Lost Kevin F. Cleary Ramzi A. Doany Andrea L. Haberman John P. . . . — Map (db m43283) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — ShantytownIn 1820, as a defensive move, — Fox River Trail
Fort Howard commander Colonel Joseph Smith moved the garrison to near this location, about a half-mile back from the shore. The high ridge on which the camp, dubbed “Camp Smith,” was located provided good visibility and protection . . . — Map (db m43820) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — St. Willebrord Catholic ChurchPackers Heritage Trail
St. Willebrord Catholic Church was where Vince Lombardi faithfully attended Mass during his 10 years in Green Bay. A devout Catholic, Lombardi would invariably arrive minutes before 8 a.m. on weekdays, park in the back lot and enter the church . . . — Map (db m56359) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Birthplace Home of Earl "Curly" Lambeau
Built in 1868, this example of mid-19th century architecture is one of the oldest homes on its original foundation with its original exterior. On April 9, 1898, two residents of this home, Marcel and Mary Lambeau, gave birth to their first . . . — Map (db m39007) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Fort Howard StoryGreen Bay's Fort Howard, — Fox River Trail
as well as Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien, was built following the War of 1812 to establish a U.S. presence in the Wisconsin territory and strategically cut off British access to trade routes. The forts were also used to construct Wisconsin's . . . — Map (db m43816) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Little House with a Big HistoryThe Roi-Porlier-Tank Cottage... — Fox River Trail
has an extraordinary rich history in Green Bay, as it was home to a fur trader, schoolmaster, judge and missionary. In 1803, a French Canadian fur trader by the name of Joseph Roi built the small cottage along the west bank of the Fox . . . — Map (db m43823) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Port & the EnvironmentWaterborne transportation... — Fox River Trail
is the most cost-effective mode of transportation when compared to truck or rail. Ships quietly move cargo farther (per ton mile) and more efficiently than trucks or trains. Most importantly, ships move cargo more safely than trucks and trains. . . . — Map (db m43814) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Port of TodayThe Port of Green Bay... — Fox River Trail
is a vital part of our local economy, our history and our lives. It plays an important role in the transportation of goods and commodities that are critical to the economic health of the region. The Port of Green Bay receives and/or sends . . . — Map (db m43817) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Significance of the PortWaterways are transportation... — Fox River Trail
and geographic location is everything. The sparkling waters of Green Bay and sweeping rivers feeding into it have attracted numerous industries over the past few hundred years. The French fur-trading empire of the early 1700s gave way to . . . — Map (db m43819) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Spirit of the Northwest
This statue, designed by Suamico native, Sydney Bedore, and dedicated on June 10, 1931 with Governor Phillip Lafollette among the speakers, represents a Fox Indian, Claude Allouez and Nicholas Perrot. Native Americans lived in Wisconsin for about . . . — Map (db m39250) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Vice Admiral James H. Flatley Jr."Reaper Leader"
June 17, 1906 July 9, 1958 Navy Cross May 7 - 8, 1942 Distinguished Service Medal July 1953 - June 1958 Legion of Merit W/Combat "V" Dec. 1944 - May 1945 Distinguished Flying Cross W/Two Gold Stars Nov 1942 - . . . — Map (db m39232) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Vincent T. (Vince) LombardiHead Coach/G.M. 1959-67; General Manager 1968
Vince Lombardi directed the Green Bay Packers to five NFL championships in seven years (1961-62, 1965-66-67) – a feat without parallel in pro football history. His 1966 and '67 teams also won the first two Super Bowls. Lombardi forged an . . . — Map (db m77461) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Zachary Taylor"Old Rough and Ready"
Major Zachary Taylor served as commandant of Fort Howard for nearly three years, arriving in the spring of 1817 with 500 men of the fifth United States Infantry. He would become the twelfth president of the United States on the fifth of . . . — Map (db m57539) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Lawrence — 105 — Eleazer Williams
This site is part of a 4800-acre tract patented to Eleazer Williams by the United States. In 1882 Williams led a delegation of New York Indians to the Fox River Valley, hoping to set up an Indian Empire in the West. A year later he married the . . . — Map (db m57219) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Oneida — 502 — Revolutionary War Veteran
James Powlis, whose Oneida name Tewakatelyλ·thale! means "I'm Worried", was born around 1750, probably in New York State. In 1777, after the disintegration of the Iroquois Confederacy's neutrality, Congress sought to offset the allegiance of . . . — Map (db m11097) HM
Wisconsin (Buffalo County), Alma — 230 — Beef Slough
The Beef Slough was a sluggish branch of the Chippewa River that provided an excellent storage pond for the logs floated downstream by numerous logging companies. Here loggers were employed to arrange the mixed-up logs into orderly rafts to be towed . . . — Map (db m10103) HM
Wisconsin (Buffalo County), Alma — Lock & Dam No. 4
Designed by and constructed under the direction of The Corps of Engineers, United States Army 1932 – 1935 Contractor for lock – Ouilmette Construction & Engineering Co. Contractor for dam – United Construction Co. . . . — Map (db m17300) HM
Wisconsin (Buffalo County), Alma — Veterans Memorial
This site and memorial is forever dedicated to the memories, valor, courage and ideals of those Buffalo County residents that have given their all and rest in burial sites at home, abroad and at sea. It is also dedicated to those that have endured . . . — Map (db m73314) WM
Wisconsin (Buffalo County), Fountain City — Fountain City
Thomas A. Holmes (1804-1888) established the first permanent settlement in Buffalo County in 1839 at the present site of Fountain City. In the fall of that year Holmes and a party of twelve including his wife came up the Mississippi River to barter . . . — Map (db m43205) HM
Wisconsin (Buffalo County), Fountain City — Fountain City
Before the white man came to this area Indians of the Chippewa, Winnebago and other tribes roamed freely along the Mississippi River. Recorded history tells of an Indian tribal battle that took place on these river banks which was witnessed by some . . . — Map (db m43206) HM
Wisconsin (Buffalo County), Mondovi — Civil War Monument
In Memory Of Our Nations Defenders Erected by W.R.C. No. 124 1914 — Map (db m73511) WM
Wisconsin (Buffalo County), Mondovi — Mirror Lake Veterans Park
Freedom Is Not Free Military Service Emblems Army • Navy • Air Force Marine Corps • Coast Guard • Merchant Marine Galen C. Aase • Loren R. Aase • William J. Aase • Wayne M. Adams • James R. Alf • Mitchell Allen • . . . — Map (db m78828) WM
Wisconsin (Buffalo County), Nelson — Veterans Memorial
In Memory of Those Who Served Our Country — Map (db m73348) WM
Wisconsin (Burnett County), Grantsburg — 1980 Ekdall Church Fire
The weather on April 21, 1980 was unseasonably hot and dry. On that day a temperature of 91 degrees combined with a humidity of 18 percent to set the stage for a catastrophic fire. At approximately 12:20 pm. that sweltering afternoon, the historic . . . — Map (db m68642) HM
Wisconsin (Burnett County), Grantsburg — Canute AndersonFather of Burnett County — April 14, 1830 - July 31, 1893
Canute Anderson was born Canute Ingverson Eggum in Laerdal, Norway. He arrived in the Grantsburg area in 1854, establishing a stopping place and trading post where the buildings southeast of this marker stand. Opening the first post office in his . . . — Map (db m68715) HM
Wisconsin (Burnett County), Grantsburg — 241 — Crex Meadows
During the last Wisconsin glaciation the advance of the Grantsburg sublobe blocked drainage, resulting in the formation of Glacial Lake Grantsburg. Natural succession eventually formed the extensive peat marshes known today as Crex Meadows. Prior . . . — Map (db m68641) HM
Wisconsin (Burnett County), Grantsburg — Governor Knowles State Forest
The St. Croix River winds its way through wild and scenic countryside from its origin in a Spruce-Tamarack swamp near Upper St. Croix Lake. The waters of the Namekagon join the St. Croix 45 miles upstream from this sign. The river system varies from . . . — Map (db m44547) HM
Wisconsin (Burnett County), Siren — Burnett County TornadoMemorial
On Monday, June 18, 2001, at 8:20 p.m. an F3 tornado with gale-force winds of over 200 miles per hour blew through southern Burnett County and eastern Washburn County leaving in its wake a path of destruction through the townships of Bashaw, . . . — Map (db m43504) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), Brothertown — 425 — The Brothertown Indians of Wisconsin
The Brothertown (Brotherton) are descendants of the Pequot and Mohegan (Algonquin-speaking) tribes in southern New England. They became a tribe in 1769 when seven Christian and English-speaking communities organized and moved to land in upstate New . . . — Map (db m31792) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), New Holstein — Civic Park
This wooded site of 4.77 acres was purchased from Rudolph Puchner in 1915 for $2,500.00 by an organization of 12 women called the New Holstein Civic Society. Their purpose was to improve and beautify the city. Through diligent work and numerous . . . — Map (db m46940) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), New Holstein — Gewidmet Unseren Kriegern 1861 - 65.[Our Dedicated Soldiers 1861 - 65.]
B. Kuehl · J. Tams · J. Muenster · H. Banderob · L. Loewenhagen · H. Bock · H. Jensen · A. Ramm · G. Larsen · F. Roehr · D. Dammann · F. Temke · R. Luethge · J. Staube · J. Schilling · G. Bock · P. Heldt · P. . . . — Map (db m47107) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), New Holstein — H. C. Timm House1873
Built for Hermann Christian Timm and his wife, Augusta (Muenster) Timm, the house was erected in two sections. A frame, Greek Revival-influenced residence was built for the Timm family in 1873. In 1892, a large stick style house was constructed onto . . . — Map (db m31977) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), New Holstein — 419 — New Holstein
"If I cannot be the citizen of free Germany, then I would at least be a citizen of free America" --Carl Schurz, German Revolutionary Leader, 1848 In 1848, a small group of immigrants from the Schleswig-Holstein area of . . . — Map (db m46184) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), New Holstein — New Holstein Veterans Memorial
Here We Honor The Price of Freedom Dedicated to the men and women of the New Holstein area who haved served their country in the armed services. ***2008*** US Flag Pole Donated In Memory Of Elmer E Abrahamson Jr. · . . . — Map (db m46953) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), New Holstein — 525 — St. Martin’s Church
In 1853, a group of German Catholics from Silesia, Prussia, emigrated to the Charlestown area. By 1866, the congregation had built a log church where they could assemble for services. They erected the current church in 1875, using limestone from a . . . — Map (db m53326) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), Stockbridge — 416 — Stockbridge Harbor
Around A.D. 1100, there was a large Native American village on the north side of Stockbridge Harbor. The pottery recovered from archaeological excavations at this site indicates that the villagers came from two formerly distinct cultural groups. . . . — Map (db m31799) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Bloomer — 11 — First Congregational United Church of Christ
The First Congregational Church was organized in the Public Hall at Vanville (later renamed Bloomer) Chippewa County on November 20, 1868. In 1870, lots 4 and 5 of block 4 of the Town of Bloomer were donated by Mr. Samuel Gilbert of Gilberstville, . . . — Map (db m55654) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Boyd — 36 — Edson Union Cemetery
Edson Union Cemetery was dedicated in 1887 by Maria and Edson Chubb, as a memorial to their only child Joseph. Buried here are Civil War veterans, victims of the 1880 diphtheria epidemic, and soldiers of the Spanish and American War. Edson . . . — Map (db m42597) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — 33 — Cadott Hub and Spoke Factory
In 1880, Captain Ellery Clark of DePere, Wisconsin moved his hub and spoke factory to Cadott. Clark had been a steam boat operator moving logs on the Fox River. He was drawn to the Cadott area because of the high quality and abundant supply of white . . . — Map (db m48931) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — 121 — Cadotte Trading Post Site
In 1787, Michel Cadotte, famous Madeline Island fur trader, had a trading post nearby on the Yellow River. Here Michel Jr. was born, and another son, Jean Baptiste, is said to be buried on the river's bank. Robert Marriner built a dam at "Cadotte . . . — Map (db m31159) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — Citizen Soldier Monument
America Will Never Forget Sept. 11, 2001 · Cadott, WI Citizen Soldier "Whether we bring our enemies to justice, or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done." George W. Bush Sept. 20, 2001 . . . — Map (db m43068) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — Introduction to the Geology of the Cadott Region
The block diagram right depicts in simple format the major geological components of the Cadott region. The time scale [below right] shows that the geologic history at any one place on Earth represents only a miniscule part of the Earth's long and . . . — Map (db m42006) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — 73 — The Gravesite of Lansing A. Wilcox
Lansing A. Wilcox, last surviving Wisconsin veteran of the Civil War, was born in Kenosha March 3, 1846. In February 1864 he enlisted from Chippewa County in F Company, Fourth Wisconsin Cavalry, returning to the Cadott community in 1866. A farmer, . . . — Map (db m30758) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — The Precambrian Rocks
From here you can see Precambrian rocks exposed along the river below the dam. Although mostly covered by a dark gray coating of carbon, their fresh pinkish gray colors show where they have been scoured off by floodwaters. We are looking at rocks . . . — Map (db m49997) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — The Yellowstone Trail1912–1930
The first coast-to-coast auto route across the northern tier of states. "A Good Road from Plymouth Rock to Puget Sound" Before 1912 Railroads dominated long distance transportation. Local roads were dust and mud. There was little . . . — Map (db m40098) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — 32 — Western Bohemian-Fraternal AssociationZapadni Ceska-Bratrska Jednota
The ZCBJ Lodge Hall which 45 charter members built in 1907 is a tangible symbol of the ethnic heritage – social, fraternal and philosophical ideals of the Czech immigrants settling 7 miles north of Cadott. . . . — Map (db m47505) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — Wisconsin Veterans Tribute
In reverent memory of the men and women who served their country in peace and war. Dedicated May 18, 1991 by grateful citizens of Chippewa County. Chippewa County Veterans Marker Army · Navy · Marines · . . . — Map (db m42843) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 44 — Badger State Planing Mill At Lake HallieBadger State Lumber Company
This site is near the location of the first sawmill called the "Blue Mills" built just north of Lake Hallie, built over a two year period 1842-1843 by Steven McCann and the brothers Simon and George Randall. In 1867 it was sold to T.S. Schoefield. . . . — Map (db m56289) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 49 — Bear Den Road Bridge
The Bear Den Road Bridge was an example of a Pratt bridge construction, which was a design used in Wisconsin from 1895-1910. The Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Company fabricated the bridge, and it was moved to this site in 1940. The original site and . . . — Map (db m43065) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 15 — Chippewa Springs
Millions of years ago the Midwest area of North America was covered by a great inland sea that laid down virgin white Cambrian sandstone. As the sea filled in, most of this sandstone became buried thousands of feet below the surface. The rim . . . — Map (db m42326) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 14 — Cook-Rutledge Mansion
In September of 1873 James Monroe Bingham, a local attorney, State Assemblyman, and future lieutenant governor of the State of Wisconsin, purchased this land which had just been plotted as Block 14 of the Western Addition to the City of Chippewa . . . — Map (db m42667) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 26 — Edward Rutledge Charity
This building was built in 1917 in memory of Edward Rutledge. Mr. Rutledge was born in northern Ireland on March 6, 1834. As a child he moved with his parents to South Mountain, Ontario, Canada where they farmed. At age 16 Edward and his two . . . — Map (db m39426) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 1 — First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church is the oldest Protestant Church in the City of Chippewa Falls. It was organized in 1855 by Rev. W. W. McNair. The first services were held in a log cabin 12 x 14 feet located on the east bank of Duncan Creek, just . . . — Map (db m42611) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 28 — Hiram Stores AllenSeptember 18, 1806 - March 6, 1886
Hiram S. Allen was born in Chelsea, Vermont and came to the Chippewa Valley of Wisconsin in 1834. Here he began a long and flourishing career and an active business life. He built the first grist-mill, the first flour-mill, and the first hotel . . . — Map (db m42343) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — In Memory of All VeteransBoth Living and Dead — These are the Dead
Sergeant Charles E. Mower, Company A, 34th Infantry, on November 3, 1944, was an assistant squad leader in an attack against strongly defended enemy positions on both sides of a stream running through a wooded gulch near Capoocan, Leyte, Philippine . . . — Map (db m41559) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — In Memory of Old Abe1861 • 1881
The soldier bird who was captured in Chippewa County by Chief Sky and taken to Eau Claire by Daniel McCann of Eagle Point. With Company "C" of the Eighth Wisconsin Regiment, he participated in twenty-five battles of the Civil War and was afterwards . . . — Map (db m38223) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 48 — Irvine Park Drive Bridge
The Irvine Park Drive Bridge was an example of a Pratt bridge construction, which was a design used in Wisconsin from 1895-1910. The Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Company fabricated the bridge in 1907. The structure originally crossed Duncan Creek on . . . — Map (db m38734) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 222 — Nation's First Cooperative Generating Station
On Sunday, May 2, 1937, Wisconsin Power Cooperative was organized by an assembly of farmers for the purpose of developing a generating and transmission facility to provide low-cost electric service for the rural areas of Buffalo, Chippewa, Clark, . . . — Map (db m13798) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 330 — Northern Wisconsin Center for the Developmentally Disabled
Before the 19th-century social reform movement, developmentally disabled people were relegated to almshouses and county poor farms where the “indigent, insane, epileptic and “idiotic” were housed together without regard to . . . — Map (db m13297) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 427 — Northern Wisconsin State Fair
Primarily rural in the 19th century, Wisconsin promoted the state fair to advance better state farming practices. Since 1851 to the present, this fair has been held in southern Wisconsin. Recognizing the impracticality of entering or attending the . . . — Map (db m13318) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 2 — Notre Dame Church
Notre Dame was Chippewa County’s first church, the Mother church of all area Catholic Churches. Originally called St. Mary’s (“Our Lady of the Pines”) was a 16' x 18' foot log structure erected in 1856. A carpenter’s bench served as . . . — Map (db m39975) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — Old McDonell High School
This building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m41964) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 37 — Oldest Commercial Building in Chippewa Falls
The building to your right is the oldest commercial building in Chippewa Falls. It was built (Circa 1859) by Peter Morie (Morey) and was used originally as a Saloon and Boarding House for lumberjacks and others. In 1861 at the start of the Civil . . . — Map (db m55299) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 24 — Pioneer Norwegian Log Home
This log house, constructed of hand-hewn White Pine logs, was built by Norwegian immigrant Ole Pederson Bjerke about 1881. Ole and his wife Mari had three sons: Gus, John, and Charles. Around 1880, Ole had applied for a Homestead in the . . . — Map (db m43658) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 29 — Reverend Charles F.X. GoldsmithDecember 22, 1845 - November 24, 1890
Charles was born in Rochester, New York. At the early age of thirteen he entered the provincial seminary of St. Francis near Milwaukee. He graduated in 1864 and then entered the American College at Louvain, Belgium. There he earned two divinity . . . — Map (db m39937) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — Ronald P. Anders1943 to 1973
He gave his life to the Jaycees and to his community, in the belief that service to humanity is the best work of life. We shall not forget... Ronald P. Anders Memorial Pure Water Fountain was constructed by the Chippewa Falls Jaycees and . . . — Map (db m41525) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 43 — Site of the Chippewa Sugar Beet Factory
In 1904 on this 25 acre site between the Chippewa River and the Soo Line Railroad tracks, sugar processing became a new industry in the Chippewa Valley. The Chippewa Sugar Company was incorporated and a huge six-story sugar beet factory was . . . — Map (db m42693) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 38 — Site of the Hiram S. Allen Home
This Columbia Street site was the location of the ornate pioneer mansion built by Hiram Stores Allen. Called the founder of Chippewa Falls, Hiram built the first grist-mill, the first flour-mill, and the first hotel in Chippewa Falls. He operated . . . — Map (db m38891) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 16 — Site of the Mason Shoe Factory
Chippewa Falls was born with the logging era and with it came support industries such as shoe factories. One of the most important tools for the loggers was strong boots. In 1869, Colliche Vinette was the first shoemaker to come to town. The area . . . — Map (db m38822) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 51 — Sokup's Market
Joseph Sokup opened Sokup’s Market in Downtown Chippewa Falls around 1891 on the northwest corner of Bay and Willow Streets. He built the current grocery store at 624 N. Bridge Street in 1894. The market is one of the oldest family owned businesses . . . — Map (db m55380) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 39 — Sunny Valley School
Sunny Valley School, originally called Goethel School was built in 1903 approximately eight miles west of Chippewa Falls on State Highway 29 where it crosses County Highway T. The one room schoolhouse served the north half of School District No. 5, . . . — Map (db m43255) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 22 — The Chippewa Valley Electric Railway Co.
This waiting shelter at the northern most point of service is the only physical structure remaining of what was once the 12½ mile long Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls interurban electric streetcar line. In 1897, Boston financier Arthur Appleyard . . . — Map (db m39822) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 10 — The Federal Building & Early Mail Service
This Federal Post Office Building was built in 1910 at a cost of $90,000. The property was purchased from the Thornton estate for $10,000. The Neo-Classical design style was often used by governmental architects of the Treasury Department during the . . . — Map (db m39009) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 21 — The Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Chippewa Fall's oldest industry. In 1867, Jacob Leinenkugel, the son of a Bavarian brewmaster, came to Northern Wisconsin searching for a promising location to build a brewery. He settled on this spot purchasing the land from lumberman Hiram S. . . . — Map (db m42360) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 9 — The Marsh Rainbow Arch Bridge
The City of Chippewa Falls was organized around two moving bodies of water, the Chippewa River and its tributary Duncan Creek. Bridges soon became necessary with rapid expansion of the transportation system in the late 19th and early . . . — Map (db m38806) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 27 — The Norway House & the Birthplace of Alexander Wiley
Built in 1871 by Alexander Wiley Sr. and Nels Elikson, the rooming house over the years was home for hundreds of immigrants, lumber jacks, mill workers, farm hands and log drivers (known as river pigs). In 1887 Wiley Sr. became the sole owner and . . . — Map (db m42697) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 45 — The Yellowstone Trail
Before there were numbered highways in the United States there were names attached to roads to help motorists navigate from town to town or from county to county. In 1912 no one thought in terms of an inter-state highway. However, a small band of . . . — Map (db m42158) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 5 — Trinity United Methodist Church
As early as 1846, Methodists were meeting in Chippewa Falls, with Thomas Randall preaching to his neighbors in a boarding house owned by the Chippewa Lumber and Boom Company. On March 10, 1860, Reverend Thomas Harwood, the first assigned . . . — Map (db m42615) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 23 — William IrvineOctober 28, 1851 – December 26, 1927
William Irvine was born in Mount Carroll, Illinois of Scotch-Irish ancestry. He came to the Chippewa Valley when he was 14 years old to work for his brother-in-law, who was captain of a raft boat towing lumber from Chippewa Falls to Mississippi . . . — Map (db m38788) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cobban — 278 — The Cobban Bridge
The Cobban Bridge, constructed in 1908 by the Modern Steel Structural Company of Waukesha, is a two-span Pennsylvania overhead truss type bridge and is the oldest of its kind in Wisconsin. Originally it crossed the Chippewa River just upstream from . . . — Map (db m12761) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cornell — 429 — Cornell Pulpwood Stacker
In 1912, after a permanent dam was built across the Chippewa River near this location, the Cornell Wood Products Company, a large paper milling operation, began production here. The company manufactured paper products, cardboard and wallboard. The . . . — Map (db m45015) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cornell — Cornell Women's Club Tablet
This tablet was erected in 1931 by The Women's Club of Cornell, Wisconsin and serves a twofold purpose. — On the hillside below, unmarked and obliterated, are many Indian graves of days long past. At a later period this plot . . . — Map (db m46047) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cornell — 42 — Ezra Cornell
Ezra Cornell was the man who founded the City of Cornell, Wisconsin, but actually never lived here. Cornell was born in 1807 in New York State of Quaker parents. He was a farmer, inventor, businessman, statesman, and a philanthropist. He . . . — Map (db m46026) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cornell — 41 — Jean Brunet
Jean Brunet is one of the most noteworthy pioneers of the Chippewa Valley. Born in France in 1791, Brunet immigrated to this country in 1818 and moved to Chippewa Falls in 1828. He built the first dams on the Chippewa River at Chippewa . . . — Map (db m46018) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cornell — 40 — Pulpwood Stacker
The Cornell Pulpwood Stacker is believed to be the last of its kind in the world and is listed in the State and National Register of Public Places. Designed and constructed in 1911-12 by the Joors Manufacturing Co., of England for the Cornell . . . — Map (db m46068) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Drywood — 31 — Bohemian National Cemetery
This cemetery with original records written in Czech dated October 22, 1905, nestles in the heart of the Bohemian farm settlement ¼ mile north of their Fraternal Hall on Highway 27. The 33 families who cleared the land and plotted it into 10' x . . . — Map (db m45268) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Eagleton — 8 — Stanley's Mill
This is the former site of a dam, a grindstone and an electrical power plant, locally known as "Stanley's Mill." It was also used as a log sluiceway and popular recreation area. First used on December 26, 1877, the electrical plant furnished power . . . — Map (db m48998) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Holcombe — 4 — Holcombe Logging Disaster
On July 7, 1905, sixteen loggers of the Chippewa Lumber and Boom Company attempted to break a log jam on the Chippewa River at Holcombe below Little Falls dam, one of the largest wooden dams in the world. The batteau boat they were riding in reached . . . — Map (db m45434) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Holcombe — 3 — The Holcombe Indian
The Holcombe Indian was known to river men along the Chippewa since 1876. Called the King of the Chippewa River, he stood guard on the old Holcombe (Little Falls) Dam and was a most welcome site to lumberjacks driving their logs down the river to be . . . — Map (db m45431) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Jim Falls — Old Abe the War Eagle
In the Spring of 1861 a band of hungry Chippewa Indians came to the McCann farm just across the river from here and traded a young eagle for corn. The eagle became a family pet. When Company C, 8th Wisconsin was organized at Eau Claire for Civil War . . . — Map (db m49313) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Jim Falls — 14 — Old Abe, the War Eagle
This wayside is part of the old McCann farm, childhood home of Old Abe, the War Eagle. In the Spring of 1861 a band of hungry Chippewa came to the McCann farm and traded a young eagle for corn. The eagle became a family pet. When Company C, Eighth . . . — Map (db m13984) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Lake Hallie — G. A. R. Monument
G. A. R. In Memory of Our Heroes From '61 to '65 Erected by the W. R. C. No. 113. — Map (db m62219) WM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), New Auburn — 6 — Cartwright Mill
The present Village of New Auburn approximates the site of Cartwright Mill, founded in 1875 by David J. and Paul W. Cartwright. To the original sawmill, powered by steam, they added a lath, shingle, and planing mill. Some buildings were of brick . . . — Map (db m45182) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Stanley — D.R. Moon Memorial Library
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m42274) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Stanley — M-1900 Seacoast Ordnance
A 1928 act of Congress made obsolete World War I weapons available to municipalities and veteran's organizations for commemorative purposes. The Stanley American Legion Post requested this 5-inch bore artillery piece and it was dedicated on Memorial . . . — Map (db m42131) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Stanley — 12 — The Yellowstone Trail
Before there were numbered highways in the United States there were names attached to roads to help motorists navigate from town to town or from county to county. In 1912 no one thought in terms of an inter-state highway. However, a small band of . . . — Map (db m42144) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Stanley — Veteran's Memorial
"May Their Sacrifice Never Be Forgotten" American Legion Victory Post 112 Dedicated on Memorial Day May 31, 2010 Map (db m46474) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Tilden — 17 — First Farm in Chippewa County(Located directly southwest of this Tilden Fire Station)
In 1847, a German by the name of George Myers arrived in Chippewa Falls looking for a tract of land for farming purposes. Prior to that time no one had attempted to cultivate any larger spot of ground than a garden patch. He chose this tract of land . . . — Map (db m55590) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Tilden — 30 — Saint Peter's Catholic Church
In the early 1850's, settlers from Rhine, Bavaria, Bohemia, and Luxembourg came to this part of Wisconsin now known as Tilden Township. They vowed to build a church in honor of the "Blessed Virgin Mother of God" giving thanks for their safe voyage . . . — Map (db m55397) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Colby — 161 — The Home of Colby Cheese
At his father's cheese factory about one mile south and one mile west of here, Joseph F. Steinwand in 1885 developed a new and unique type of cheese. He named it for the township in which his father, Ambrose Steinwand, Sr., had built northern Clark . . . — Map (db m9189) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Curtiss — History of The Big White Pine
This tree was a landmark near the Iron-Ashland Co. line northeast of Glidden, Wis. The first section of 20 ft. is in Glidden. Les got the next cut of 12 ft. The tree measured 6 ft. on the stump. The tree was 144 ft. high. The first limb was 65 . . . — Map (db m22327) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Curtiss — The Yellowstone Trail1912–1930
The first coast-to-coast auto route across the northern tier of states. "A Good Road from Plymouth Rock to Puget Sound" Before 1912 Railroads dominated long distance transportation. Local roads were dust and mud. There was little . . . — Map (db m43262) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Curtiss — Veterans Memorial
This memorial is solemnly dedicated to our living war veterans and to those who made the supreme sacrifice. — Map (db m50289) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Dorchester — Dorchester Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m47677) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Dorchester — S.S. Dorchester Memorial
The Ship Built 1926 Statistics: Length overall · 368' Beam · 52' Draft · 19' Gross tons · 5,649 Speed (knots) · 12 Radius (miles) · 5,500 Propulsion · Recip. eng. Passengers · 788 Cargo (cu. ft.) · 187,250 Jan. 24, . . . — Map (db m29648) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Greenwood — 23 — Mormon Settlements
The Mormons, Clark County's first loggers, came in 1844 and established camps between Wedge's Creek and Greenwood to cut timber for their Illinois city of Nauvoo. After the murder of their leader Joseph Smith at Carthage, Illinois in mid-1844, the . . . — Map (db m21953) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Loyal — Castner–Mack CemeteryEst. 1855
1st Cemetery in the Loyal Township Child of Daniel & Mary Mack 1858 Daniel Mack 1866 13th child of Erastus & Maria Mack 1860 Mary Benedict Mack 1874 Frank Castner 1877 Infant child of John & Lydia Castner 1880 Twin infants of . . . — Map (db m21947) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Loyal — Loyal Veterans Memorial
All Gave Some Some Gave All This memorial is dedicated to our Loyal area veterans of the past and present for their bravery, service, and sacrifice in times of peace and war while protecting the principles of our United States of America. . . . — Map (db m49534) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Loyal — Samuel HartfordSoldier of 1812 — 1798 – 1884
When a lad of 14 he went as a substitute for his brother in law that his sister and her 7 little ones might not be deprived of a husband and father’s care. Served as Private in N. Y. Militia. Was in Battle of Niagara. Honorably discharged . . . — Map (db m9691) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 1897 Clark County Jail
The Clark County Historical Society 1897 Jail Museum has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior December 8, 1978 . . . — Map (db m41452) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 1919 Case Steam Engine
Originally used for threshing grain in the area by William Neville, this steam engine was owned by Martin "Max" Feuerstein from the 1930s through the 1960s to power a sawmill along 18th Street on Neillsville's northside. This sawmill produced lumber . . . — Map (db m41389) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 42 — Clark County Moraines
Most of the topographical features to be seen here can probably be attributed to deposits or moraines left when the glacier receded. The castellated hills or mounds northwest of Neillsville are of greater geological significance and interest, . . . — Map (db m9851) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Dickinson-Hoesly House
Dickinson-Hoesly House has been recognized as a Historic Landmark by the Neillsville Historic Preservation Commission 1891 (lower plaque) 2012 Wisconsin Centennial Property Build 1891 for Decatur and . . . — Map (db m76734) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — FragmentsWisconsin Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Honoring the men and women from Wisconsin who served in Vietnam. We left pieces of ourselves in Vietnam. We brought parts of Vietnam home. Each fragmented figure supports the others. A close inspection of the figure with the helmet reveals . . . — Map (db m25146) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Kilroy Was Here
During World War II this was a symbol for the American serviceman. Any place in the world where one of them went he would see it. It was found in restrooms, on trucks, tanks, ships, bombed out walls, and almost any place it could be painted, penned, . . . — Map (db m18637) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 41 — Major General Clarence L. Sturdevant1885 – 1958
General Sturdevant, chief architect and father of the Alcan Highway, was born in Neillsville and married Beth Youmans of this city. During forty years of devoted service General Sturdevant was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the Bronze . . . — Map (db m30863) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — National Native American Vietnam Veterans Memorial"The Forgotten Warrior"
This memorial statue was envisioned to serve as a touchstone where the quiet tears of unresolved grief from mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, relatives and friends could be shed in an honorific setting and be strengthened by the groundswell of . . . — Map (db m29599) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Neillsville Civil War Memorial
Erected 1908 by G.A.R. & W.R.C. 1861–1865 — Map (db m38763) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Neillsville Post Office
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Neillsville Post Office 1937 Henry Morgenthau Jr Secretary of the Treasury . . . — Map (db m47630) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — The Korean War TributeDedicated to those who served
We, the Korean Veterans Tribute Committee, designed this tribute to convey to you insight into the hardships and isolation experienced by our troops. The three bronze figures represent bitter cold, extreme heat and seemingly never ending monsoons. . . . — Map (db m78738) WM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Women Airforce Service Pilots Monument
Women Airforce Service Pilots W.A.S.P. World War II 1942-1944                               Dedicated July 31, 2006 Map (db m78703) WM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Women Veterans Memorial
In Honor and Remembrance of the Women of Wisconsin Who Have Served Our Nation Dedicated September 19, 1992 Donated by The Wisconsin Women and Men of Vietnam Veterans of America — Map (db m78718) WM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Stanley — The Worden Church of the Brethren
Site of The Worden Church of the Brethren Erected in 1904 Destroyed by tornado in 1958 Dedicated Sept. 28, 1975 by members and friends — Map (db m22324) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Thorp — Liberty Tree Memorial
Planted in honor of those who lost their lives in the tragic events on September 11, 2001 The American Liberty elm was named after "The Liberty Tree": Our Country's first Symbol of Freedom. On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people . . . — Map (db m47912) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Thorp — 537 — St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony
St. Hedwig's In 1891, a wooden church was built and named St. Hedwig's for a queen of Poland. In 1904, the present-day structure was built and accommodated the growing congregation with seating for 700 people. Members of the congregation . . . — Map (db m48771) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Baraboo — St. Mary's of the Pines
Built by B.I. Durward & Neighbors 1866 Damaged by fire 1923 Restored by Madison Council Knights of Columbus 1929 — Map (db m41612) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Cambria — David J. Jones
This memorial is dedicated to the life of David J. Jones Born in Cambria, WI, June 20, 1880. Davy grew up in Cambria playing baseball with well known local players such as the Dodge Brothers, Willard and Ben. Davy was an aggressive leadoff . . . — Map (db m66065) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Cambria — Historical Site
On this site in 1844, John Langdon & his four sons erected a sawmill, a dam & gristmill. Other early settlers by the names of McConochie, Dodge, Torbert, & Williams joined in construction. The original place name of Langdon's Mill, later became . . . — Map (db m66352) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — Columbus City Hall
This 1892 Richardsonian Romanesque building was designed by T.D. Allen of Minneapolis using local materials. It originally housed the Library, Kindergarten and Fire Station in addition to the City Offices, Police Departments and Auditorium. The . . . — Map (db m67231) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — Columbus Public Library
The Prairie Style Library was designed by Louis W. Claude (former associate of Louis Sullivan) and Edward F. Starck of Madison, Wisconsin, and built with funding from Andrew Carnegie and the Columbus Women's Club. The library was dedicated November . . . — Map (db m28344) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — Farmers & Merchants Union BankEstablished 1861
In 1919, Bank President J. Russell Wheeler and his wife, Anna May Wheeler, retained Architect Louis Sullivan. Known as the father of the skyscraper, Sullivan was to design a building that would give the bank an image of financial security, civic . . . — Map (db m67230) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — 324 — Governor James Taylor Lewis / Governor Lewis: Civil War Era
Governor James Taylor Lewis · 1819 – 1904 Governor James T. Lewis, the ninth Governor of Wisconsin (1864-66), led the state through the tumultuous conclusion of the Civil War. He was born in New Your State and in 1845 settled in . . . — Map (db m22918) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — Grand Army of the Republic Memorial
. . . — Map (db m28289) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — World War II Memorial
The citizens of the Township of Elba purchased this land in 1947 as a memorial to the men and women who served their country in World War II. 1995 — Map (db m65642) WM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Friesland — Inglehart Church
A congregation of German settlers had been worshipping in a log cabin about 200 feet north of this sign, on property homesteaded by James Inglehart in 1846. In 1867 the congregation decided to build a church. James Inglehart offered this . . . — Map (db m74235) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Lodi — Historic Tree
The Palmer Tree, a stately burr oak was a mere acorn in front of the Palmer Family log cabin, when Lodi was settled in 1848. Its testimony to a peaceful community continues, as it stands proudly to welcome all who enter the Lodi Valley Historical . . . — Map (db m33882) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Merrimac — 187 — The Merrimac Ferry
Merrimac’s first permanent settler, Chester Mattson, obtained a territorial charter in 1848 to provide ferry service across the Wisconsin River. The State Legislature of 1851 authorized a road, subsequently to become State Trunk Highway 113, to . . . — Map (db m1932) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Pardeeville — Angie Williams Cox Public Library
Angie Williams Cox Public Library 1934 is listed in the State Register of Historic Places — Map (db m22869) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Pardeeville — 423 — Historic Pardeeville / Belmont Hotel
Historic Pardeeville In 1848, New York native and Milwaukee merchant, John S. Pardee hired agents to oversee his Fox River land holdings and to establish business operations from this location. Yates Ashley, the most notable of Pardee's . . . — Map (db m22896) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Pardeeville — Pardeeville World War I Memorial
1929 Dedicated to those of this community who served in the World War and to the memory of those who gave their last full measure of devotion. Erected by American Legion Auxiliary to Harry D. Jerred Post No. . . . — Map (db m39566) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 61 — Fort Winnebago
In the autumn of 1828 a permanent fort was built on this site by the First Regiment of the United States Infantry under the command of Maj. David E. Twiggs, later a general in the Confederate Army. The fort was constructed primarily to control the . . . — Map (db m2364) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Fort Winnebago Surgeons' Quarters
Home of Army Surgeons 1834 - 1845 Occupied by Francis LeRoy before 1828 Restored by Wisconsin Society, Daughters of the American Revolution 1954 — Map (db m42904) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 317 — Frederick Jackson Turner1861 – 1932
Considered the most important historian of the United States in the twentieth century, Frederick Jackson Turner brought a new understanding to the meaning of the American experience. He was born in Portage; his father was Andrew Jackson Turner, a . . . — Map (db m20029) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Historic Indian Agency HouseBuilt in 1832
The Indian Agency House was built in 1832 by the United States Government for John Harris Kinzie and his wife Juliette Magill Kinzie. John Kinzie was the Indian Agent to the Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) Indians. He had been assigned by the Government to . . . — Map (db m42998) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet
This tablet marks the place near which Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet entered the Wisconsin River June 14, 1673 Erected by Wau-Bun Chapter D. A. R. 1905 — Map (db m2342) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 451 — Ketchum’s Point
Ketchum’s Point, named for a local family, stands above the low, marshy Portage connecting the Fox River and Great Lakes with the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers. This waterway served as a vital thoroughfare for supplies and furs during the fur . . . — Map (db m2407) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 63 — Marquette
On June 14, 1673 Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet started the portage (1.28 miles) from here to the Wisconsin River, which led to their discovery of the Upper Mississippi June 17, 1673 at Prairie du Chien. The expedition, in two birch bark . . . — Map (db m2341) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Pierre Pauquette Ferry
Landing place of the ferry built by Pierre Pauquette and operated by him from about 1828 until his death in 1836. This ferry was in use until the first bridge was built across the Wisconsin River in 1857. — Map (db m74344) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 106 — Potters' Emigration Society
Near here in 1849 Thomas Twiggs began a settlement of unemployed potters from Staffordshire, England. To help farmers on both sides of the Fox River reach his store and blacksmith shop at Twiggs' Landing, he operated Emancipation Ferry, named to . . . — Map (db m20084) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Revolutionary War Veteran
Patriots Cooper Pixley and Alexander Porter served the cause of gaining our nation's independence while dedicated members of the military. Both are buried in Section 33 of this National Soldiers Rest. Cooper Pixley, born in Great Barrington, . . . — Map (db m42899) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Site of Fort Winnebago
1828 — 1845 Surrender of Red Bird Noted Winnebago Chief 1827 Erected by Wau-Bun Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1924 — Map (db m4609) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 480 — Society Hill Historic District
This 137 building district is bounded, in part, by Emmett, Cass, Wisconsin and MacFarlane streets. Most of the houses were constructed between 1870 and 1910 and are in the Italianate and Queen Anne architectural styles. Society Hill reflects . . . — Map (db m20042) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — The Indian Agency House
. . . — Map (db m42997) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 513 — Zona Gale
Zona Gale was born August 26, 1874, in Portage. She graduated in 1899 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a Masters in Literature. Gale then spent six years as a journalist in Milwaukee and New York. Her visits to Portage . . . — Map (db m20009) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — 29 — John Muir View
John Muir (1838-1914), world famous naturalist and "father of the national park system," often stopped to rest and admire this view as he walked from his home in Marquette County to the University of Wisconsin. Muir loved the wilderness from which . . . — Map (db m20148) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — 259 — Rest Areas on the I-Roads
Early roadside rest areas were rural school grounds and country churchyards with their two little houses in back. In Wisconsin, by 1920, curves were built to eliminate sharp road corners. Local garden clubs, with the American Legion and . . . — Map (db m22690) HM

2342 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 2092
Paid Advertisement
Categories20th CenturyAbolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansAgricultureAir & SpaceAnimalsAntebellum South, USAnthropologyArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicAsian AmericansBridges & ViaductsCemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Civil RightsColonial EraCommunicationsDisastersEducationEntertainmentEnvironmentExplorationForts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentHeroesHispanic AmericansHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsLandmarksMan-Made FeaturesMilitaryNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPaleontologyPatriots & PatriotismPeacePolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersSportsWar of 1812War, 1st Iraq & Desert StormWar, 2nd IraqWar, AfghanistanWar, ColdWar, French and IndianWar, KoreanWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWar, VietnamWar, World IWar, World IIWars, Non-USWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
States or ProvincesAlabamaAlaskaAlbertaArizonaArkansasBritish ColumbiaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineManitobaMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew BrunswickNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNewfoundland and LabradorNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNova ScotiaOhioOklahomaOntarioOregonPennsylvaniaPrince Edward IslandPuerto RicoQuebecRhode IslandSaskatchewanSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingYukon Territory
CountriesArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBelgiumBelizeBrazilCanadaChinaCosta RicaCzech RepublicDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuyanaHondurasHungaryIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaKiribatiLiechtensteinLuxembourgMalaysiaMexicoNetherlands AntillesNew ZealandNicaraguaPalestinian TerritoriesPhilippinesRussiaSaint LuciaScotland, UKSingaporeSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSwedenSwitzerlandThailandTurkeyTurks and Caicos IslandsU.S Virgin IslandsUkraineUnited KingdomU.S.A.