Commissioned by the Union Pacific Railroad, the Ames Monument is a memorial to the Ames brothers, Oakes and Oliver, for their contributions to the building of the Transcontinental Railroad. Their strong support, drive and influence were instrumental . . . — Map (db m89647) HM
This area of southeast Wyoming is rich in history, geology and recreational activities. Within a short distance from this point, sites abound of early day events that have shaped the western heritage of this area, including the Arapaho and Cheyenne . . . — Map (db m68052) HM
At first glance, the Ames Monument may seem out of place on this high, wind-swept setting. If you step back and view the Monument from a distance, you will notice its design and shape mimic the surrounding features of the mountain landscape. The . . . — Map (db m89645) HM
The Sherman Mountains are erosional remnants rising above the general level of the surface of the Laramie Range. The flat topped characteristic of the range resulted from beveling during an ancient erosion cycle. Bedrock here is granite, a . . . — Map (db m68051)
The granite rocks to the west are more than a billion years old (Pre-Cambrian in age). The sedimentary rocks to the east are some 10 million years old (Late Miocene in age). After the mountains were elevated, some 20,000 feet of rocks were eroded . . . — Map (db m92157) HM
Construction of the Transcontinental Railroad across the United States was one of the most significant historic events of the 1800s. Built almost exclusively with manual labor and hand tools, the cross-country railroad took only four years to . . . — Map (db m89646) HM
This tree was growing out of a crevice in the rock when the Union Pacific Railroad built its original main line fifty feet south of this rock in 1868.
The fence and cable were provided by the Union Pacific Railroad Co. at the request of the . . . — Map (db m95273) HM
This small pine tree that seems to be growing out of solid rock has fascinated travelers since the first train rolled past on the Union Pacific Railroad. It is said that the builders of the original railroad diverted the tracks slightly to pass by . . . — Map (db m62159) HM
Built in 1869 for the Methodist Episcopal Church, this edifice is likely the oldest church building in Wyoming.
It originally was located across the street where the Elks Lodge now stands. — Map (db m76783) HM
1809 - 1865 This monument commemorates the sesquicentennial of Lincoln's birth by the State of Wyoming in 1959 Charles W. Jeffrey, M.D., Rawlins - Wyo. Donor Robert I. Russin, Sculptor — Map (db m47144) HM
This bronze sculpture captures the moment when Chief Washakie first raises his lance challenging Crow Chief Big Robber to a duel.
The Battle of Crowheart Butte was ignited when Crow Chief Big Robber and his braves refused to leave an area near . . . — Map (db m95342) HM
From 1849 through the end of the 19th century, thousands followed the Overland Trail into Wyoming, across the Laramie Plains, to a toll bridge near tree on the Laramie River. The historic crossing of the marshy plains consisted of a corduroy road . . . — Map (db m89621) HM
The history of the American West recognizes Washakie as one of its most remarkable leaders. Revered for statesmanship and respected in battle, he united his people into a significant political and military force. A skilled orator and charismatic . . . — Map (db m95347) HM
In 1875, the inmates of the Wyoming Territorial Prison constructed a dwelling for the warden and guards. The dwelling, worth $3,000, consisted of six rooms - a kitchen, dining room, and four bedrooms. On July 3, 1877, Laramie's local newspaper, . . . — Map (db m95312) HM
The 1907 photograph to the left shows, from left to right, the boiler plant (foreground), broom factory, outhouse, blacksmith and candle shop, and kitchen extension.
Before shops were built inside the stockade, inmates worked outside cutting . . . — Map (db m95327) HM
On June 24th, 1975, the Laramie Sentinel reported, "An icehouse has been built in the bank a few feet from the prison, and some 60 tons of ice were taken out and stored in it for the use of the prison. This, also done by convict labor, . . . — Map (db m95314) HM
Steam was used to heat the new cellblock and administration wing added to the prison in 1889. Though the boiler was only intended to serve the new addition it heated the entire prison (both cellblocks). Working beyond its capacity, the old boiler . . . — Map (db m95325) HM
The original kitchen was constructed in 1873. The bakery ovens sat directly behind it. The extension to the left of the kitchen was added by 1894 and used for a variety of things: store room, icehouse, guards' dining hall, carpentry shop, and . . . — Map (db m95330) HM
Four plaques are located around a monument locate on the Ivinson Mansion grounds in Laramie, Wyoming.
Laramie Woman's Club, organized in 1898, honors Laramie's "First Ladies" who pioneered civic and political responsibility by women . . . — Map (db m89657) HM
The emigrant trails across Wyoming were a vital link in the transcontinental migration of an estimated 250,000 Americans in the 19th century, and opened the area to settlers. The Indians resented this intrusion and threatened these . . . — Map (db m67994) HM
Tall trees, short trees, shrubs, grasses and flowering plants -- mountains, canyons, river bottoms, and prairies -- all intermingle to form the landscape. The greater the variety of landforms and vegetation, the more homes or habitats there are for . . . — Map (db m47149) HM
"That there should be a Lincoln Highway across this country is the most important thing"
In memory of Henry B. Joy
The first president of the Lincoln Highway Association
Who saw realized the dream of a continuous improved highway from . . . — Map (db m84887) HM
This monument commemorates the Lincoln Highway, America's first transcontinental automobile road, and Henry Bourne Joy, the first president of the Lincoln Highway Association (1913). Joy, also president of the Packard Motor Car Company, is sometimes . . . — Map (db m47145) HM
Founded in 1868 upon the arrival of the Union Pacific Railroad, Laramie was named after the fur trader Jacques LaRamie. The first female jurors served here in 1870 after Wyoming Territory in 1869, for the first time in history, gave women full . . . — Map (db m67993) HM
Founded in 1868 upon the arrival of the Union Pacific Railroad, Laramie was named after the fur trader Jacques LaRamie. The first female jurors served here in 1870 after Wyoming Territory, in 1869, for the first time in history, gave women full . . . — Map (db m76789) HM
This marker is made up of a dozen plaques embedded in a cement patio and a map of historic Laramie also embedded in patio. As each plaque has the same format, only a few of them have been illustrated.
French Canadian . . . — Map (db m76849) HM
This area of Albany and Laramie Counties is noted for its rich agricultural history. The forests and rolling hills were home to large sheep and cattle herds from the mid 1800s into the 1900s. After the Civil War, trees harvested from what is now the . . . — Map (db m47150) HM
Marks the Site of
Established September 5, 1866
Abandoned May 18, 1882
Named in Honor of
William P. Sanders
Erected by the
State of Wyoming
Jacques Laramie Chapter . . . — Map (db m67995) HM
The legendary war-horse of the Nez Perce has a rich history dating as far back as 20,000 years. Detailed images of spotted horses can be found on cave walls in southern France. In Austria, a scabbard dating back to 1000 B.C. was found decorated with . . . — Map (db m95348) HM
John D. Baker
The title “The Franchise” refers to the recognition and bestowal of the right of women to vote under full civil equality with men. In 1869, Wyoming became the first state or territory to grant this . . . — Map (db m76744) HM
The route that later became the Overland Trail was followed in 1825 by William Ashley and members of the Rocky Mountain Fur Company, who entered the Laramie Valley from the south, forded the Medicine Bow River near Elk Mountain, and crossed the . . . — Map (db m89623) HM
The Purple Heart Medal was originated by General George Washington on August 7, 1782 for distinguished valor and is now awarded only to members of the armed forces of the United States, who have been wounded in combat against an armed . . . — Map (db m47143) HM
In remote areas of Albany County, Wyoming, passenger trains carrying mail, payroll monies, and express deliveries were tempting targets for bandits. On June 2, 1899, the Union Pacific Overland Flyer No. 1 was flagged down near Wilcox Station, east . . . — Map (db m89659) HM
To the north lies Como Bluff - "The Dinosaur Graveyard" - one of the greatest and well known fossil beds of dinosaur remains in the world. There paleontologist of the 19th century discovered and unearthed many excellent fossil specimens of the . . . — Map (db m89665) HM
No larger than a dog, the eohippus, or dawn horse, first appeared approximately 55 million years ago. It had four toes on its front legs and three on its hind legs. Eohippus remains have been found in Wyoming’s Wind River Basin. Over time, . . . — Map (db m86912) HM
This region is totally unfit for either rail or wagon roads and can only be traversed with the greatest of difficulty. - U.S. Army Lieutenant Henry Mayandier, while attempting to map a wagon route across the Big Horn Basin in . . . — Map (db m86910) HM
This statue by artist/sculptor, Steve Wirth, depicts Byron Sessions, survey map case in hand, as he prepares to oversee the construction of the Sidon Canal.
It was the policy of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, often . . . — Map (db m91254) HM
Following Mormon settlement of the Salt Lake Valley beginning in 1847, church leaders envisioned colonization of the entire inter-mountain region. In following decades, Mormons emigrated from Utah into Idaho, Arizona and Wyoming. Seeking to improve . . . — Map (db m91252) HM
Douglas Fir Bark BeetleThe Douglas fir bark beetle enters the bark where it introduces a fungi and creates galleries in the phloem – the layer under the bark that transports nutrients from the leaves throughout the tree. The galleries . . . — Map (db m88169) HM
Big Horn Basin in northwest Wyoming is bound on the west by the Beartooth and Absaroka Mountains, on the south are the Wind River and Owl Creek ranges, on the north the Pryor Mountains and on the east are the Big Horns. The Basin is nearly . . . — Map (db m91289) HM
These two plaques offer brief history of the Bighorn Basin.
Bighorn Basin -- It's Creation
Before you lies the Bighorn Basin, which has its southern end in Wyoming and extends into Montana. Six hundred million years of . . . — Map (db m91305) HM
Several of the prehistoric trails that led through the Big Horn Mountains intersect here. The first people using these trails may have entered the area on the very same path you are now using, as long as 10,000 years ago! Over time, possibly due to . . . — Map (db m91307) HM
The large rocks next to you are granite. These were formed within the earth's crust 1 billion years ago. Their exposure is the result of the eroding forces of wind, water, and ice. This granite contains quartz and resembles the rock containing gold . . . — Map (db m91320) HM
The Flying Tigers were American boys from 41 of our states, fighter pilots trained in our own Army and Navy, who became members of the new A.V.G. (American Volunteer Group) employed by the government of Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek to protect the . . . — Map (db m91260) HM WM
One of the largest cattle operations in the Wyoming Territory, the Mason-Lovell Ranch moved its headquarters here in 1883. At its peak the ranch grazed cattle from Thermopolis, Wyoming to the Crow Reservation in Montana. . . . — Map (db m91280) HM
Thousands of stone circles lie scattered over the Northern Plains and Rocky Mountains. What were they used for?
Over 100 of these stone circles are known as Medicine Wheels. The Bighorn Medicine Wheel is probably the most well known and sacred to . . . — Map (db m91310) HM
The white man called it the Medicine Wheel, but to many Native Americans Indians it is, "The Place Where the Eagle Lands." To many people it is a sacred place, and there are few that leave without experiencing something outside the ordinary.
It . . . — Map (db m91312) HM
Medicine Mountain to your left, was named for the Medicine Wheel, a stone circle that lies atop a ridge below its summit. Designated a National Historic landmark, this symbol remains a mystery as the builders and purpose of the Medicine Wheel remain . . . — Map (db m91319) HM
"Eventually one gets to the Medicine Wheel to fulfill one's life." -- Old Mouse, Arikara
High in the Big Horn Mountains at nearly 10,000 feet above sea level, lies the Medicine Wheel - a place of worship, a National Historic Site, and an . . . — Map (db m91308) HM
Raptors are graceful hunters of Bighorn Canyon. The location is ideal home for these birds of prey because of the abundance of food and excellent nesting spots. Watch for these magnificent birds in action. — Map (db m62158) HM
Reconstruction of 52 miles of US 14A between Big Horn Lake and Burgess Junction, began with a bridge and causeway at the lake in the mid-60s. The mountain project was described as "one of the most difficult" in the Department's history.
Then, . . . — Map (db m91285) HM
was developed for the U.S. Army during WWII by the Willys Motor Company. Its tough four-wheel drive made it the first all-terrain vehicle. By 1945 over 500,000 had been delivered to the Army and other branches of the armed forces. The Jeep was also . . . — Map (db m91259) HM
In honor of
The Mormon Colonists
of the Big Horn Basin
who, under the leadership of
Abraham O. Woodruff, first camped near this site in May 1900. These pioneers, under many difficulties, established towns, notably Byron, Cowley and . . . — Map (db m91255) HM
For many years, the northern most road over Wyoming's Big Horn mountains was commonly referred to as the Dayton-Kane Road. It connected those two towns on opposite sides of the mountain, the latter now just a memory beneath the waters of Big Horn . . . — Map (db m91284) HM
The earthbound journey begins . . . . . . when a raindrop or snowflake hits the upper slopes of the Big Horn Mountains. It joins other drops and gains momentum seeking the path of least resistance. Say “goodbye” to the drop as it . . . — Map (db m88182) HM
The hillside below the cliffs is managed as a wildlife winter range. Elk and deer in the Big Horn Mountains live at high elevations during the summer, but move down to the lower areas during the winter. The Forest Service helps maintain this winter . . . — Map (db m88173) HM
The presence of humans in the Big Horn Basin goes back more than 10,000 years. Evidence suggests that the prehistoric people were nomadic hunters and gatherers. Indians inhabited this area until 1878. In the late 1870s settlers, ranchers, and . . . — Map (db m88172) HM
The large, granite building blocks of Shell Canyon are an extraordinary 2.5 billion years old. Called basement or bedrock, they form the bottom layer covering the molten material in the earth’s core. At some point, the huge plate of bedrock . . . — Map (db m88189) HM
The red cliff face to your left flanks Sunlight Mesa. At the top is Elephant Head Rock, so named because of its shape. The triangle-shaped mountain to the right is named Pyramid Peak. To your far right is a prominent rock-topped mountain called . . . — Map (db m68892) HM
If you are a seeker of waterfalls . . . . . . . mark Shell Falls as unique in terms of waterfall origin. Waterfalls form in three basic ways: 1. Where Hard Meets Soft Falls commonly form where a hard, resistant streambed meets a softer one. . . . — Map (db m88179) HM
Shell Creek nourishes a rich diversity of flowering plants, which in turn attracts tiny winged visitors. Hummingbirds are noted for their uncanny ability to hover in the air like helicopters. By turning their wings upside-down on the backstroke, . . . — Map (db m89166) HM
Water is a scarce commodity in the arid west. Wherever streams and rivers flow, you will find the pathways of early exploration and travel, the magnets of human settlement. Shell Creek is no exception. Archaeologists discovered evidence that . . . — Map (db m88186) HM
Can water really move mountains? Bit by bit, grind of water rippling over rock wears the mountain away. In a more dramatic fashion, run-off from melting snow during May and June creates a massive force capable of muscling huge boulders downstream. . . . — Map (db m88168) HM
In June 1959, a tornado roared over the south rim of the canyon directly before you. Its path was along Granite Creek to your left and through what used to be Granite Creek Campground. One person was killed. The twister ripped up timber and laid it . . . — Map (db m71500) HM
So, what is an “Oasis” anyway? The dictionary defines it as “a green area in a dry, arid region.” What makes it so green? If you guessed WATER, then you were right. Most of this area gets less than ten . . . — Map (db m88192) HM
2.5 billion years of geologic history lie exposed in the canyon walls of Shell Creek. Gradual cutting action by Shell Creek eventually exposed the basement granite layer that lies above the earth’s molten core. However, Shell Canyon itself formed . . . — Map (db m88178) HM
Fire has a number of beneficial effects. It eliminates diseased and dying trees, recycles nutrients back into the soil, and starts the cycle of growth again by allowing sunlight to reach the ground, stimulating the growth of grass. The Forest . . . — Map (db m88171) HM
Established July 20, 1962. Located west of the Medicine Bow River at the north base of Elk Mountain. The site was selected by and the post built under the command of Major John O'Ferrall, 11th Ohio Cavalry. It was established to protect the Overland . . . — Map (db m95377) HM
The area near the Wagonhound Rest Area has played an important role in western transportation since the earliest days of human activity in the Rock Mountain west. The area has provided Wyoming's earliest inhabitants, explorers, westbound settlers, . . . — Map (db m47142) HM
The stone circles of "Tipi Rings" as this site mark the location of a prehistoric Native American campsite. The stones were probably used to anchor the skins of conical tents known by the Sioux word "Tipi". the stones were placed around the base of . . . — Map (db m47141) HM
This site lies at the northern-most extent of the Snowy Range Mountains, a spot where the high mountain peaks end and the winds begin. Winds here may exceed 70 miles per hour at times, blowing winter snows, leaving ridges and slopes bare, and . . . — Map (db m47140) HM
Gateway to the sites of Ghost Towns of the Copper Country. Once a favorite hunting ground of Prehistoric man, later "Camp le Grand" became a noted rendezvous of Indians and trappers. In 1897 the townsite was laid out by Willis George Emerson and . . . — Map (db m95468) HM
"When you say that, smile"
Whose writings acquainted the nation with pioneer Wyoming ranch life, made Medicine Bow the beginning of his most popular novel, "The Virginian," — Map (db m89702) HM
Muddy Gap sits at a crossroads of many historic sites related to the Oregon and Mormon Trails. From Muddy Gap, Independence Rock is 18 miles northeast, Split Rock is 10 miles to the northwest; Devils Gate is 14 miles northeast, and Martin’s . . . — Map (db m95472) HM
In the summer of 1867, a survey partly led by General Grenville M. Dodge seeking a route for the Union Pacific Railroad, stopped one half mile south west of here.
General John A. Rawlins, a member of the party, spoke of the spring there as the . . . — Map (db m89705) HM
The hills located to the south and west (your left) are part of the Rawlins Uplift, a 40 mile long, north trending fold in the earth's crust. The geologic feature rises a thousand feet above the surrounding plains. Granite rocks that range in age . . . — Map (db m95470) HM
In the summer of 1867, a survey party led by General Grenville M. Dodge seeking a route for the Union Pacific Railroad stopped here.
General John A. Rawlins, a member of the party, spoke of the spring as "the most gracious and acceptable of . . . — Map (db m67982) HM
The pioneer William Daley (1844-1922) built both the original 1866 Fort Phil Kearney flagstaff for the Bozeman Trail fort and this replica which is placed here in memory of the Daley Family in 1865. — Map (db m89703) HM
The Wyoming State Penitentiary was constructed in different stages. The first construction occurred three years after statehood in 1893 following authorization by the Wyoming Territorial Legislature and the laying of a cornerstone in 1888. The . . . — Map (db m89706) HM
World War II
Chorzelski, Michel Fl O • Hakeman, Lloyd N. 1st Lt • Simonson, Donald W. 2nd Lt • Sureson, James A. 1st Lt • Syler, Raymus M. Tec 5 • Kizzire, William L. Capt • Henningsen, Peter W. 1st Lt • Howard, Earl T. S Sgt • . . . — Map (db m95467) WM
The old road bed & cut below are believed to be part of the rail road that was constructed in 1887 by the Union Pacific Railroad to connect Fort Steele to Denver, CO. It was to follow the North Platte to North Park, Colorado and down the Cache la . . . — Map (db m89987) HM
The Fort Fred Steele sawmill had traveled thousands of miles by rail and wagon prior to its arrival and installation here, along the North Platte River. The Lane and Bodley 15 horsepower steam-driven sawmill began its journey through the military . . . — Map (db m89818) HM
The bridge tender's house was constructed by the Union Pacific Railroad to serve as an employee surveillance point. The bridge tender could respond quickly to locomotive-caused fires and could remove flood debris which might damage the bridge and . . . — Map (db m89754) HM
During construction of the Union Pacific Railroad land speculators and a large contingent of undesirables kept pace with or move ahead of the construction crews and their military escorts. Townsite speculators tried to anticipate depot locations, . . . — Map (db m89755) HM
Construction of the Union Pacific Railroad stimulated the growth of the timber industry in southern Wyoming. Two companies began supplying ties to the railroad in 1868, but the firm of Coe and Carter was the leading supplier to the Fort Fred Steele . . . — Map (db m89817) HM
The post cemetery served as a graveyard for soldiers, their dependents, and civilians during the army occupation of Fort Steele (1868-1886). Although some soldiers died during the Indian Wars of the 1860s and 1879s, most of the military deaths at . . . — Map (db m89988) HM
Two cannons located at opposite ends of a meridian island each bear the same inscription.
This cannon of Civil War vintage was for many years an essential part of oil field tank farm equipment. It was used in making holes in a tank . . . — Map (db m89707) HM
The Post Trader's House was "T" shaped in three sections. The stem of the "T" was built first and over time other rooms were added to the house. The small fireplace was actually designed to burn coal. Many houses of this time period included coal . . . — Map (db m90004) HM
Two stone foundations and chimneys remain of the five enlisted men's barracks once at Fort Fred Steele. The walls were constructed of logs and boards and battens while a shingled roof protected pine floor boards. Tar paper covered interior walls. . . . — Map (db m89949) HM
At age 18, Fenimore Chatterton arrived in Wyoming on September 12, 1878 to begin a lifelong career of service to Wyoming.
The young Fenimore came west on the Union Pacific to Fort Steele for a bookkeeping job at the J.W, Hugus Trading Post. His . . . — Map (db m89995) HM
The south central portion of Wyoming has long been a travel corridor for prehistoric and historic people. Native American tribes from the Great Basin region to the west crossed this area to hunt buffalo on the eastern plains.
From 1810 . . . — Map (db m67988) HM
Officially abandoned in 1886, the fort came under the jurisdiction of the Department of the Interior in 1887. In 1892 and 1893 most of the buildings were sold a public auction. In 1897 the land, opened to homesteading, was patented by the Union . . . — Map (db m89913) HM
Fort Fred Steele was established in 1868 to protect the North Platte River railroad crossing and the crews builting the Transcontinental Railroad. Named after Civil War hero Major Frederick Steele, the Fort and its soldiers provided vital services . . . — Map (db m89997) HM
After the fort was decommissioned and the military buildings were sold at auction, the residents of the Fort Steele community converted some of the old structures into homes and businesses or built anew on top of bare foundations. The schoolhouse . . . — Map (db m89948) HM
This Tranquil Image of Fort Fred Steele... (ca. June 1872), by its artistic commander Colonel Philippe Regis de Trobriand, 13th Infantry, belies the post's relatively brief, but dynamic history (1868-1886). This encampment on the south bank of . . . — Map (db m89844) HM
General Steele commanded a division of the Union Army at Vicksburg. Later he commanded all Union forces on the line of the Arkansas, exercising President Lincoln's policy of conciliation and reconstruction. At the end of the war he served in Texas, . . . — Map (db m89846) HM
commander of Fort Fred Steele from October, 1871 until September, 1873; was born an aristocrat in Tours, France, but came to America as a soldier of fortune to fight in the Civil War. Commissioned as Colonel in 31st Infantry, he commanded . . . — Map (db m89845) HM
Major Thomas Tipton Thornburgh, 4th Infantry... left Fort Fred Steele on September 21, 1879 with his regiment's Company E, plus Company E, 3rd Cavalry and Companies D and F, 5th Cavalry, in response to a complaint by U.S. Indian Agent N.C. . . . — Map (db m89828) HM
The collapsed sand stone building west of the sign is all that remains of the once imposing eight room, one and one-half story Commanding Officers quarters. Residences for staff officers were four, wood-framed double quarters with a captain in . . . — Map (db m89946) HM
U.S. Army Officers Who Commanded Fort Fred Steele from it's Inception (1868) until its Abandonment (1886)
Baker, Eugene M. (Maj, 2 Cav) • Bartlett, Charles G. (Capt, 4 Inf) 1869 • Bascom, Gustavus, M. (1/Lt, 13 In) 1872 • Bisbee, . . . — Map (db m89947) HM
The powder magazine housed the fort's munitions and therefore was located away from the main military complex. Ironically, it is one of the few fort structures remaining. It replaced the original magazine, a dugout constructed when the post was . . . — Map (db m89994) HM
The Union Pacific Railroad and the North Platte River are important parts of the story of Fort Fred Steele. Located where these two great resources met, the fort and the local industries surrounding it would depend upon the rails and water for . . . — Map (db m89759) HM
The cattle industry was also large in the area with some very large cattle companies that owned land in and around the area. One of the largest, the Swan Land & Cattle Co. owned by the Swan Brothers stretched from near present day Scottsbluff, NE to . . . — Map (db m89970) HM
You are in Carbon County, an area central to Wyoming's past and present ranching industry. In the 1930s the county was populated by over one million sheep and annually shipped more pounds of wool than any other county in the United States.
. . . — Map (db m67987) HM
Anglo-European Coal Miners Near Rock Springs, Wyoming... killed 26 Chinese on Thursday afternoon, September 3, 1885, and torched their nearby settlement. More than 550 other Orientals fled into the hills. Two days later, Fort Fred Steele's . . . — Map (db m89829) HM
Sheep ranching came in to the Rawlins & Ft. Steele area in the 1880's with I.C. Miller being one of the earliest. He owned the first flock in 1875. In 1882, about 16 large sheep outfits were listed in the Rawlins area and numbers rapidly grew. . . . — Map (db m89968) HM
The first authentic sheep wagon was built by James Candlish in Rawlins in 1884 from an idea given him by George Ferris. Caddish, a Canadian blacksmith, followed the Union Pacific construction to Fort Fred Steele and lived there until the troops . . . — Map (db m89967) HM
Sheep were introduced to Wyoming in the 1850's near Fort Bridger, about 180 miles west of Fort Steele. By 1880 the number had grown to over 350,000 head ranging primarily along the route of the Union Pacific Railroad. The Cosgriff Brothers owned one . . . — Map (db m89950) HM
plus other lines of transportation and communication - train, telegraph and telephone - bisected America while linking its east and west coasts during one of our nation's most remarkable eras of development. Those lifelines also sustained the . . . — Map (db m89924) HM
The Parco Inn was built as the architectural highlight of Wyoming's most elegant company town. Frank Kistler, founder of the Producers and Refiners Oil Company (PARCO), hired the Denver-based architectural firm of Fisher and Fisher to design a . . . — Map (db m89715) HM
Passenger travel on the Union Pacific Railroad began in July of 1868, with the first trans-continental service beginning just 10 days after the golden spike was driven on May 10, 1869 at Promontory Point in Utah. The first passenger trains were . . . — Map (db m89915) HM
depicts a bustling military community astride the continental Union Pacific Railroad and flanked on the north and east by the Platte River.
Although the variety flora is limited, bitter cottonwood trees grown profusely with a smattering of pine . . . — Map (db m89926) HM
Thornburgh's Command Defended Themselves Behind a Breastwork....
of barrels, sacks of flour, wagons and dead horses as Ute Indians rained bullets down bluffs along Milk Creek. The battle that raged from about noon on Monday, September 29, . . . — Map (db m89824) HM
In 1901, the Fireman's Fund Insurance Company included a plat of Ft. Steel in its insurance rating of the town. The town had not grown as planned, probably due to the closeness of Rawlins and that the timber industry had started building its own . . . — Map (db m89820) HM
Fort Fred Steele was established in 1868 as one of a group of military posts placed along the route of the Trans-Continental Railroad to protect and support the railroad construction. Today, except for the Powder Magazine (south of the Railroad . . . — Map (db m71623) HM
In 1868 the Union Pacific Railroad was rapidly moving west with the short lived railhead towns leading the way. In early July, General Dodge ordered the citizens of Brownsville to move three miles from the river to the edge of the Dry Desert. This . . . — Map (db m89916) HM
It is not happenstance that Wyoming hosts a wealth of our nation's wildlife resource. Early explorers wrote descriptions of the buffalo, "... blackening the plains as far as the eye could see. The pronghorn antelope were as numerous as the buffalo." . . . — Map (db m67986)
"From the Platte west to Fort Bridger... is one almost uninterrupted panorama of barren hills, sandy plains, ugly tortuous ravines, and blank desolation... All life and all living things, seem to be gone." (Overland Trail traveler Demas Barnes, . . . — Map (db m89716) HM
Ages ago Wyoming was covered by seas. Through a period of millions of years the land gradually rose, leaving the present landscape of plains, mountains and rolling hills. As the land emerged, erosion began and through eons of time, formed Ayres . . . — Map (db m92098) HM
From this point, the Bozeman Trail wound a long, twisting northwesterly route to the Montana goldfields. This view points out a portion of that difficult and dangerous road. The map shows the locations of forts, rivers and mountains along the trail. . . . — Map (db m80089) HM
Car #1886 was built at St. Louis Car Company in 1884 as a part of an order for ten short sixty foot coaches for service on the so called "Cowboy Line" of the C&NW being built at the time through Douglas to Lander, Wyoming.
The car was rebuilt in . . . — Map (db m92181) HM
The oldest piece in the display, the car was built by the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad in the company shops at Plattsmouth, Nebraska in 1884 at a cost of $1023 as a mainline freight caboose. It was rebuilt and modernized with new brake . . . — Map (db m92182) HM
This massive steam locomotive was donated to the people of the State of Wyoming by the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Company. It was moved dead-in-train from Galesburg, Ill to Orin then via C&NW Railroad to Douglas in April of 1962. Title . . . — Map (db m92162) HM
This car was built by the Budd Company at Philadelphia, PA as a 48 seat Diner in March 1947. It was part of an order for new stainless steel passenger cars for system-wide service. It was named "Silver Salver" and was numbered #196, later Burlington . . . — Map (db m92166) HM
Douglas was founded as a result of the Fremont, Elkhart and Missouri Valley Railroad extension through central Wyoming in 1886. The railroad's objective was to access the mining and cattle-rich areas of Wyoming.
On August 22, 1886, the railroad . . . — Map (db m92106) HM
The Douglas Railroad Interpretive Center is located on the site of the historic Chicago and Northwestern Railroad Depot. The Interpretive Center was developed by the City of Douglas and dedicated in August 1995 as a legacy to the major industries . . . — Map (db m92163) HM
Built as Fairmont Model M-19 series AA, Group 4, serial #217980. Originally sold to the Union Pacific Railroad and later sold to and used by the Colorado & Southern as a track inspection car, probably by track foremen based in Casper.
Little . . . — Map (db m92164) HM
Meandering La Prele Creek drainage cuts into alternating layers of sandstone and sandy limestone of the Permian / Pennsylvanian Casper formation.
La Prele Creek erodes both the upstream and downstream sides of the outcrop.
Undercutting by . . . — Map (db m71496)
This plateau above LaPrele Creek and the North Platte River was chosen as an Army post by Major Dye who described it as “…being neither so low as to be seriously affected by the rains or snow; nor so high and unprotected as to suffer from the . . . — Map (db m80092) HM
The "Good Roads Club" was incorporated in Douglas in 1910 with 119 members and capitalization of $50,000. It was a popular social club with a primary goal to establish a way to improve the road system to enjoy the new automobile.
In 1918, the . . . — Map (db m92180) HM
Car was built by Pullman Standard at Pullman, Ill in December of 1950 as a part of an order for eight sleeping cars with 16 duplex roomettes and four bedrooms. Car was assigned to the Western Star, their secondary Chicago to Seattle train. With a . . . — Map (db m92178) HM
Above is an artist’s conception of the interior of the Fort Fetterman version of a “Hog Ranch,” a common frontier term used to describe certain off-post facilities which catered to the lonely soldier’s desire for wine, women and song. A . . . — Map (db m80093) HM
The Oregon Trail crosses LaPrele Creek about one mile downstream from Natural Bridge. Before the modern road was built into the gorge, Natural Bridge was difficult to access, and it was only rarely visited by emigrants of the covered wagon era. From . . . — Map (db m71495) HM
Also known as the Hog Ranch at Fetterman, the One Mile Hog Ranch was perhaps the rowdiest, roughest and most dangerous red light establishment in Wyoming. Built by Harrison Kane in 1880, the saloon sat just across the Platte River, about one mile . . . — Map (db m80124) HM
This car was built by Western American Car & Foundry Company in Seattle, WA in July 1914 for the Union Pacific Railroad subsidiary Oregon Short Line as a box car and was numbered as their #120579. Car was converted to a double deck stock car in . . . — Map (db m92179) HM
This car was built by the Pullman Car Company at their Michigan City, Indiana plant in February of 1911 for the Union Pacific subsidiary Oregon Short Line Railroad as their #331. The car was renumbered to #2114 in 1914 and again renumbered to #1897 . . . — Map (db m92165) HM
From this location, where the water reservoir once stood, one can see several interesting points. The sighting device points out the location of the pump used during the later years to supply the fort with water. Prior to installation of the pump . . . — Map (db m80091) HM
Caleb and Nancy Magill with their six children were part of a wagon train traveling fro Brown County, Kansas, to Dallas, Oregon, in 1864. After leaving Fort Laramie their three-year-old daughter Ada was taken sick with dysentery. At Deer Creek . . . — Map (db m92079) HM
Nineteen-year-old Alvah Unthank was one of a group of young men who left Newport, Wayne County, Indiana, for the goldfields of California in 1850. On June 23 the wagon train passed Register Cliff, south of Guernsey. There Alvah inscribed his name: . . . — Map (db m92083) HM
Big Muddy oil field is a typical Wyoming oil producing structure. The field, discovered in 1916, has produced over 30 million barrels of high quality oil. Strata here were arched upward at the time the Rocky Mountains originated about 60 million . . . — Map (db m92097) HM
Deer Creek Station, which once stood on the site of present- day Glenrock near the confluence of Deer Creek and the North Platte River, became a familiar landmark along the Oregon-California-Mormon Trail between 1857 and 1866.
The station began . . . — Map (db m92081) HM
On July 26, 1842 John C. Fremont's first expedition to the far west guided by Kit Carson with Joseph Bissonette as interpreter, also L. Maxwell as hunter, camped in this rocky glen.
Names and dates of many of the 300,000 travelers of the . . . — Map (db m92080) HM
Three men named Sharp,
Franklin, and Taylor, and
one unknown man were
killed by Indians July 12,
1864 where the Oregon
Trail crosses Little Box
Elder Creek 2 1/2 miles S.W.
of here. They were buried
4 miles S.W. by the grave . . . — Map (db m92087) HM
Take a good look at those big old trees down along the river. You know, the ones with the big limbs and huge trunks. Those old cottonwoods are special trees. They have grown tall with their roots spreading as grand as their limbs. Their roots reach . . . — Map (db m89008) HM
The Aladdin Tipple in Crook County, Wyoming, was constructed as part of the Aladdin coal mining operations. In 1898, an 18-mile-long short line known as the Wyoming and Missouri River Railroad was built to connect coal mines near Aladdin with the . . . — Map (db m34833) HM
During the summer of 1874, General George Armstrong Custer led the first official government expedition to the Black Hills, which the Sioux Indians claimed as their territory. Although the United States Government officially sent this expedition of . . . — Map (db m34586) HM
Plains Indians depended upon buffalo for many of their material needs - food, shelter, clothing, tools, fuel, ceremonial objects, even toys. Prior to acquiring horses in the 18th century, hunting individual animals on foot with bows and arrows was . . . — Map (db m45545) HM
Devils Tower, an important landmark for Plains Indian tribes long before the white man reached Wyoming, was called Mateo Tepee, or Grizzly Bear Lodge, by the Sioux. A number of Indian legends describe the origin of Devils Tower. One legend tells . . . — Map (db m34465) HM
Ancient rivers took millions of years to excavate Devils Tower. The waters carried away softer sedimentary rocks leaving behind the hard igneous rock called phonolite. This rock type is found here in northeastern Wyoming, and central Montana, but . . . — Map (db m72588)
The Ft. Laramie treaties of 1851 & 1868 set aside the Black Hills for the Sioux, for as long as the grass shall grow and the river shall flow. Nevertheless, in 1874 Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer was sent to investigate rumors of gold in the area . . . — Map (db m42556) HM
Devils Tower, known as Bear's Lodge to Northern Plains Tribes, rises high above the Belle Fourche River, grasslands, and ponderosa pine forests. This major landmark of the Northern Great Plains has attracted people for thousands of years. Today, it . . . — Map (db m34463) HM
The process began about 50 million years ago. Magma (molten rock) was injected into layers of sedimentary rock, forming the Tower one and one-half miles below the earth’s surface. It has since taken millions of years to erode away the surrounding . . . — Map (db m72589)
Above ground, prairie dogs are usually looking for plants to eat, eating, or scanning for predators. At a warning bark, prairie dogs dive into a dark city of tunnels, where they spend more than half their lives. They play an important role in the . . . — Map (db m71946)
The Tower and Black Hills area have been a gathering place and home to many people. Archeological discoveries show that native people lived here 10,000 years ago. As time passed, Arapaho, Cheyenne, Crow, Kiowa, Lakota, and Shoshone all developed . . . — Map (db m72587) HM
Also known as "Temple of the Sioux," Sundance Mountain rises majestically in the southwest. It belongs to the Bear Lodge Mountain Range, which defines the northwestern edge of the Black Hills. It was named for the Plains Indians' religious . . . — Map (db m45541) HM
The Red Valley surrounding you belongs to the transition zone between the flat, treeless Great Plains and the pine-forested Black Hills. Artesian springs and creeks draining from the hills and mountains create draws that provide water, shade, and . . . — Map (db m45536) HM
Giant cypress trees growing today in swamps (or forested wetlands), such as these found in Louisiana's Pointe Lake, used to grow in Wyoming back when it was a warm, subtropical swamp - about 55 million years ago during the Late Paleocene epoch. Some . . . — Map (db m45539) HM
The first Caucasian residents of this area came as prospectors following the Black Hills Gold Rush. In 1876 the glitter of gold led them from the large mining camps of Lead and Deadwood westward to Sand Creek, located near this site. Instead of . . . — Map (db m45535) HM
Lieutenant Colonel George A. Custer's Black Hills Expedition crossed northeastern Wyoming from July 17-25, 1874, camping within three miles of this location. forged by 1000 men (cavalry, infantry, teamsters, scientists, miners, newspaper reporters, . . . — Map (db m45381) HM
Located a short distance to the east and camouflaged by the red eroded landscape is the Vore Buffalo Jump. This sinkhole served early residents as a slaughterhouse. using the natural pit as a trap, hunters would capture bison in late fall by running . . . — Map (db m45537) HM
Centrally located on the gold-bearing vein in the area, mines literally surrounded Atlantic City by the fall of 1868. The townspeople soon fostered a thriving business community. In addition to sawmills and blacksmith shops, Atlantic City boasted of . . . — Map (db m80134) HM
was established to protect from Indians the gold mining camps of South Pass City, Atlantic City, Miners’ Delight, and others. It was named for 1st Lt. Charles B. Stambaugh, 2nd Cavalry, U.S.A. who was shot from his horse by Indians when defending a . . . — Map (db m80145) HM
As the news of gold spread, the Sweetwater Mining District filled with miners who established Hamilton City about two miles east of here in 1867. The following year, the name of the town changed to Miners Delight, after a highly productive nearby . . . — Map (db m80133) HM
Five hundred yards northwest of this marker stood the Bonneville Cabins, built by Captain B.L.E. Bonneville in 1835 to store his trade goods. Three cabins were constructed and later two more. They were long known as “The Five Cabins, : the . . . — Map (db m80128) HM
The Historic Mine Trail and Byway Program designated the Gold Flakes to Yellowstone Historic Mine Trail in 2005. This trail links significant finds of gold, iron ore, and uranium, each of which played important roles in Wyoming's history.
The . . . — Map (db m67009) HM
Ice Slough is a small stream that flows into the Sweetwater River five miles east of here. In front of this point is a slough (i.e. a marsh or shallow un-drained depression). This slough gave the name to the stream east of here. In the "Ice Slough" . . . — Map (db m62076) HM
Home on the range, a tiny community consisting of a post office, gas station, and a few souls, sat quiet and undisturbed along this lonesome stretch of highway until the 1950's. That all changed when the nation's uranium industry boomed after World . . . — Map (db m67008) HM
The need was there
Competing with time, harsh climates, long distances, tough terrain and the hostility of numerous Indian bands, the Pony Express carried the mail 1600 miles across the West. From April 4, 1860 to October 24, 1861, . . . — Map (db m69604) HM
Originally called the Emigrant Road, the Oregon Trail was the main route of westward expansion from 1812 to 1869. An estimated 500,000 people journeyed past here in search of new lands and new lives in the West.
Because of its unique shape, . . . — Map (db m62092) HM
A famous natural landmark used by Indians, trappers, and emigrants on the Oregon Trail. Site of Split Rock Pony Express 1860-1861, stage and telegraph station is on the south side of the Sweetwater. Split Rock can be seen as a cleft on the . . . — Map (db m67007) HM
Split Rock was a relay station during the turbulent 18 month life of the Pony Express. The Express operated at a gallop, speeding mail across the West in only 10 days. However, because of the "talking wire," its days were numbered. The telegraph . . . — Map (db m69603) HM
Shoshone, Arapaho, Crow and Sioux Indians occupied this pleasant valley long before the Oregon Trail, which changed their cultures and life styles forever. This led to tragic warfare and the eventual loss of country they had called their own.
. . . — Map (db m69602) HM
The Oregon Trail was American’s main street west. Building upon American Indians footpaths, emigrants bound for the Pacific Northwest used the trail. They were soon followed by Mormons fleeing persecution, gold seekers rushing to California and the . . . — Map (db m95744) HM
Wild horses, managed by the Bureau of Land Management, live around Green Mountain which is located on the opposite side of the highway. You many see bands of wild horses roaming public land on the south side of the road.
Wild horses are distant . . . — Map (db m95774) HM
“The Sinks” are a series of cracks and crevices at the back of the cavern before you. The water of the Popo Agie River flows into the Sinks. It then reappears at the “Rise of the Sinks,” a large calm pool ¼ mile down canyon. . . . — Map (db m95824) HM
Viewed from Beaver Rim, the Wind River Mountains, part of the Rocky Mountain chain, boast 53 granite peaks over 13,000 feet high. The Continental Divide runs the length of the Wind River Range. Water on the east side of the Continental Divide flows . . . — Map (db m67012) HM
This schoolhouse was built by John Borner along the Old Indian Trail near the mouth of Sinks Canyon. Mr. Borner was well known by residents of Lander for is large, plentiful garden. He was married in 1875 to Lena (Jenny) Canary, the sister of the . . . — Map (db m95865) HM
This unique ornate building has been on Lander's Main Street since 1893. Built by Thomas J. Bossert and it was used for his dry goods store. He ran it as a "cash only" store. He advertised clothing at lower prices than every offered in Lander. He . . . — Map (db m95870) HM
The Fremont served guests for eighty years on the corner of Main and 3rd, from 1891 to 1971. Jerry Sheehan had the foresight to build an out-of-the ordinary hotel in an isolated western town. Mr. Sheehan was no stranger to the hotel business. Prior . . . — Map (db m95872) HM
The Historic Mine Trail and Byway Program designated the Gold Flakes to Yellowstone Historic Mine Trail in 2005. This trail links significant finds of gold, iron ore, and uranium, each of which played important roles in Wyoming's history.
The . . . — Map (db m67011) HM
The Historic Mine Trail and Byway Program designated the Gold Flakes to Yellowstone Historic Mine Trail in 2005. This trail links significant finds of gold, iron ore, and uranium, each of which played important roles in Wyoming's history.
The . . . — Map (db m67015) HM
In 1886, the social society, the International Order of Odd Fellows, funded the construction of this brick building. The Odd Fellows held their meeting upstairs which was reported as handsomely furnished, and was supplied with “electric . . . — Map (db m95965) HM
The Lander Hotel was one of the first businesses on Lander’s dusty Main Street. It began as an eating place and stopover for bull-team freighters on their way to Fort Washakie. It was a one-story, four-room log building built by Ben Decora. Later . . . — Map (db m95961) HM
Scouts and Trappers visited this area by 1811 and rendezvous were held 1829, 1830, and 1836.
Camp Magraw (sic), 1857, site 2.1 miles north.
Fort Thompson, 1857-1858, was located 4.4 miles north of here.
Camp Augur, 1869-1870, became the . . . — Map (db m95785) HM
By 1887-88 the farmers were pushing for a local flour mill and went as far as putting up some of their own money to entice someone to take on the project. At that time, wheat was grown in abundance but little was sold except as chicken feed. J. D. . . . — Map (db m95967) HM
Major Noyes Baldwin and his wife, Josephine Wright Baldwin, were some of the earliest settlers in the Lander Valley. Before establishing the dry good store in Lander, he had a trading post near Hudson, Wyoming, a log trading post on Baldwin Creek, . . . — Map (db m95946) HM
J.K. Moore, post trader at Fort Washakie, built the large store shown in mid-photo in the early 1880s. It was later to be one of the most elaborate saloons in the entire west, fitted out with glassware and furniture cut in the shape of diamonds. . . . — Map (db m95868) HM
The Noble Hotel has been a landmark in downtown Lander since it was built in 1918. The grand hotel was built to serve visitors from the East on their way to Yellowstone. Harold Del Monte bought the hotel in 1929 and set out to recreate the Noble as . . . — Map (db m95947) HM
This building was the second home to the Noble and Lane Mercantile Business. The face of the mercantile building has changed. It was originally built by Worden P. Noble and Albert D. Lane in 1891. The stone building next to it is where their . . . — Map (db m95944) HM
To the south stand the Oregon Buttes, a major trail landmark. The name is significant because the Buttes were roughly the beginning of the Oregon Territory and also helped keep emigrants encouraged, even though there were still hundreds of miles of . . . — Map (db m80499) HM
In 1891, Eugene Amoretti, successful businessman and one of the “town fathers,” financed the construction of this building. It was the original home of the Palace Pharmacy. The building was large enough to house many different . . . — Map (db m95970) HM
In 1919 the Sinks Canyon Hydro Electric Company built a power plant in the canyon to provide electricity for Lander. A dam was built upstream of the Sinks. The dam diverted part of the Popo Agie River into a pipeline which carried the water to the . . . — Map (db m95820) HM
Red Canyon is cooperatively managed by the Wyoming Game and Fish Department, the State of Wyoming, the Bureau of Land Management and private landowners.
The spectacular orange and red sandstone formations you see here have been exposed through . . . — Map (db m80132) HM
From the time the glaciers of the last Ice Age retreated about 16,000 years ago, people have journeyed into Sinks Canyon. The canyon is a natural pathway into and over the southern Wind River Mountains. For thousands of years people, and wildlife, . . . — Map (db m95818) HM
The heavily timbered slope before you provides excellent habitat for many species of wildlife. Douglas Fir trees with Oregon Grape, Mountain Lover, Snowberry, Wild Rose and many other shrubs in the under story, cover the slope. Vegetation is thicker . . . — Map (db m95825) HM
Site of Fort McGraw (sic)
Scouts & Trappers
1812 - 1835
Another marker, next to the Site of Fort McGraw marker, is currently missing, but its text is provided below:
Site of Fort Thompson or Camp . . . — Map (db m80129) HM
The South Pass, in which you are now located, is perhaps the most significant transportation-gateway through the Rocky Mountains. Indians, mountain men, Oregon Trail emigrants, Pony Express riders, and miners all recognized the value of this . . . — Map (db m67016) HM
From where you're standing South Pass doesn't look all that remarkable. But compared to the rugged Wind River Mountains, it can easily be recognized as a type of gateway.
Nevertheless, crossing the Continental Divide into "Oregon Country" was a . . . — Map (db m67020) HM
Even after the discovery of South Pass in 1824, it was years before the route was used extensively. Fur trapper/trader William Sublette brought a small caravan of wagons to South Pass in 1828. While his party did not take wagons over the pass, they . . . — Map (db m67021) HM
South Pass was discovered in 1812 by a small band of Astorians led by Robert Stuart as they traveled east with dispatches for John Jacob Astor. It was “rediscovered” in 1824 by a party led by Jedediah Smith as they searched for a winter . . . — Map (db m80501) HM
The hills of the Sweetwater Mining District hold various minerals, and beginning in the 1960s, iron ore mining provided an economic boom for the area. In 1960 the U.S. Steel Corporation broke ground on the nation's highest open pit iron ore mine at . . . — Map (db m67014) HM
The trail over South Pass is a transportation corridor which served many purposes. In addition to being the route to Oregon and California, it was used by Mormon pioneers and by the Pony Express.
A great exodus to the Salt Lake Valley in 1847 . . . — Map (db m67019) HM
The demand for beaver pelts in the early 1800s led to the exploration and eventual settlement of the American West. South Pass was part of a major thoroughfare through the Rockies and its discovery is significant to the era known as the fur trade. . . . — Map (db m67022) HM
The Rise of the Sinks is a large spring where the water of the middle fork of the Popo Agie River reappears after flowing into a limestone cavern called the Sinks, located a quarter of a mile upstream.
The water flows underground following an . . . — Map (db m95819) HM
With South Pass behind them, Oregon and California-bound travelers faced the second half of their journey. The roughest travel was yet to come. From Missouri to South Pass, emigrants were able to follow rivers. But from South Pass to Oregon and . . . — Map (db m67018) HM
Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep once roamed much of the western United States. Now, these magnificent animals are found in only a fraction of their historic range. Human expansion, disease, market hunting and fire suppression all contributed to the . . . — Map (db m88979) HM
In 1952, dignitaries dedicated a new dam built by the Bureau of Reclamation, one and half miles upstream from Asmus Boysen’s historic dam. Construction began with blasting of a tunnel to divert the river and included relocation of both the highway . . . — Map (db m88138) HM
The Wind River Canyon provides a unique slice through geologic time. While driving through the canyon, you can see rocks that were deposited when life was beginning and when Wyoming was covered by a sea with a tropical climate similar to the . . . — Map (db m88141) HM
Mule teams hauled the materials for the original Boysen Dam, built here in the early 1900s by Asmus Boysen to provide power for his gold and copper mining interests in this area. A few years later when the Burlington Railroad built through . . . — Map (db m88147) HM
Boysen Dam, completed in 1951, marks the southern margin of the east-west trending Owl Creek Mountains and the Wind River Canyon. Drained by the north flowing Wind River, the canyon is 14 miles long, 1.3-2 miles wide and 2,400 feet deep where it . . . — Map (db m70611) HM
In 1858, this ancient path, which had been used by Indians, explorers and mountain men as a short cut to the Snake River country was developed by Frederick Lander in to an alternate route on the Oregon Trail. What is commonly called the Lander Trail . . . — Map (db m80161) HM
A region rich in history. A city rich in gold. From 1812 to 1868 this open country at the end of the Wind River Mountains provided a passage - the only passage - through the Rocky Mountain barrier of the Continental Divide for some 500,000 westering . . . — Map (db m80160) HM
A Great Gold Camp
Part of Wyoming’s historical heritage. Acquired for preservation May 18, 1966, with funds raised by Wyoming;s 75th Anniversary Commission Inc., its advisers, county committees and people of . . . — Map (db m80162) HM
Emigrant travelers on their way west likely discovered small amounts of gold in the 1840’s, but it took until 1868 for the first mining claims to be staked. Word of the new gold rush spread and the summer of 1868 brought an influx of people from . . . — Map (db m80148) HM
Thousands rushed to the South Pass area following the find of substantial gold deposits at the Carissa Mine in 1867. As the boom gained steam, the Carissa sat at the center of mining development, serving as the primary economic force for South Pass . . . — Map (db m80146) HM
Captain James G. Willie’s Handcart Company of Mormon emigrants on the way to Utah, greatly exhausted by the deep snow of an early winter and suffering form lack of food and clothing, had assembled here for reorganization by relief parties from Utah, . . . — Map (db m80154) HM
and Sixth Crossing
of Sweetwater River
Willie Handcart Company rescue site, 21 October 1856 and burial site of John Winford and eight others from that company
Born 28 August 1808 England
Died . . . — Map (db m95742) HM
The modern burg of Sweetwater Station is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 287 and State Route 135 in central Wyoming along the Sweetwater River. It is a place of scenic beauty and historic significance. Prehistoric groups camped along the . . . — Map (db m95745) HM
In summer, the trilling “Kroo-oo-oo” of the sandhill crane is heard along the Sweetwater River. The endangered whooping crane has been seen in the marshy meadows immediately south of this spot. The Sweetwater’s wide floodplain, enhanced . . . — Map (db m95747) HM
1068 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 818