HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Yukon Territory Markers
Yukon Territory, Carcross — Carcross during World War IIAlaska-Canada Highway, 50 Years: 1942-1992
During World War II, Carcross played an important role in Alaska Highway construction. The connection here between the White Pass rail and water transportation systems gave the U.S. Army access to the Yukon’s interior. By early 1942, Carcross residents were well aware of the war. Many young men had joined the armed forces, and their families anxiously followed the news from Europe. That spring, however, the war moved much closer to home when 1200 Black troops of the 93rd Engineers stepped . . . — Map (db m68899) HM
Yukon Territory, Carcross — White Pass & Yukon Route“The Golden Spike”
Construction of the White Pass & Yukon Railway began on May 27, 1898 at Skagway, Alaska during the height of the great Klondike Gold Rush.

Undaunted by those who said the railway could not be built a small group of devoted White Passers composed of contractor Michael J. Heney, chief engineer “F.C.” Hawkins, assistant chief engineer John Hislop and the railway’s first president Samuel H. Graves pushed the work to completion. After overcoming almost insurmountable construction . . . — Map (db m49366) HM

Yukon Territory, Carcross — White Pass & Yukon RouteGolden Spike Centennial
The golden spike was driven to mark the completion of the White Pass & Yukon Route Railway on July 29, 1900. It was the beginning of a fully integrated rail transportation system – which grew to include lakes & river steamboats, stage lines, aircraft, bus lines, trucks and container ships.

One hundred years later – on July 29, 2000 a new ceremonial spike was driven to honor the courage and dedication that built the first northern railway and to pledge a commitment to a second century of service. — Map (db m72917) HM

Yukon Territory, Dawson City — 3rd Avenue ComplexLe complexe de la 3e avenue
[English] In Dawson City’s history, permafrost ranks second only to fire as the bane of buildings. These three structures, dating from 1901, illustrate what can happen when heated buildings are placed on frozen ground; the frost melts, mixing water with the soil to form a very fluid muck into which the different footings settle at different rates. No restoration measures have been taken with these buildings so that visitors may see history as it naturally unfolds.

[French] Dans l’histoire . . . — Map (db m49305) HM

Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Arctic Brotherhood Hall1901-2001
The Arctic Brotherhood was a fraternal organization formed onboard the steamer Seattle while anchored at Skagway. In 1901 Camp #4 Dawson City built a fraternity hall, known as the Arctic Brotherhood Hall to host their meetings as well as uphold their mandates to promote sociability and the interests of the members and the northland. Over the years the building was the centre of Dawson’s most important social gatherings. The City of Dawson obtained title to the building in 1951 and operated it . . . — Map (db m49348) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Bank of British North America/La Bank of British North America
[English:] The BNA, which opened Dawson City’s first bank in a tent in 1898, moved into these premises in 1899. By providing the essential services of assaying, buying and shipping gold, it helped integrate the local currency of dust and nuggets into a cash economy. As larger gold companies with their own assayers and capital took over mining, the bank (since 1918 the Bank of Montreal) became a more peripheral service, providing a payroll service for the dredges. It closed in 1968 after the . . . — Map (db m44857) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Billy Bigg’s Blacksmith ShopLa forge de Billy Bigg
[English] This building stands as a testament to the way frontier businesses changed and adapted to new realities. It began life in 1899 as the two storey Great Northern Hotel, to service the needs of a rapidly growing population. By 1907, as the population settled, it was converted into a blacksmith shop. In 1913, with the increasing mechanization of mining, a machine shop was added. Each change in business came with an addition to the building. In the 1940’s, then-owner Billy Bigg removed . . . — Map (db m49304) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Dawson Daily NewsLe Dawson Daily News
[English] The Dawson Daily News moved into this building in 1910, the sole survivor among 7 gold rush newspapers. It provided Dawson City with a window to the outside world and remained a profitable business until the early 1920s. Thereafter, it was essentially a one-person operation and shut down for good in 1954. By then valueless as a business, its true value was as a repository of Klondike history, faithfully recorded since 1899.

[French] Le Dawson Daily News s’est installé dans cet . . . — Map (db m49301) HM

Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Discovery ClaimConcession de la Découverte
[English:] The names Robert Henderson, Skookum Jim, Tagish Charlie and George Carmack are inextricably linked to the discovery of gold on Bonanza Creek. Henderson was first to systematically explore the gold bearing potential of the region, only to have the major find elude him. Then on 17 August 1896 Jim struck gold, and with his companions Charlie and Carmack staked the first claims. A few day later at Forty Mile, Carmack in his own name registered the Discovery Claim where this monument . . . — Map (db m44702) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Dr. Brown’s ResidenceRésidence du docteur Brown
[English] Built for Dr. Brown, a dentist, in 1902, this attractive little bungalow was tangible proof that affluent residents had confidence in the future of Dawson City and were willing to put down roots. While this may have been somewhat misplaced, the building’s future was assured. Considerably altered by subsequent owners, it functions today as housing for Canada Parks Service staff members.

[French] Construit pour le dentiste John Brown en 1902, ce joli petit bungalow montre bien . . . — Map (db m49345) HM

Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Harrington’s StoreLe magasin Harrington
[English] Like other grocers at the turn of the century, Harrington provided a cosmopolitan clientele with every conceivable foodstuff, from beans to truffles. This was made possible by the coincidence of improved transportation systems with new food storage technologies, such as evaporation, canning, and artificial cold storage. Linked to the rest of the world during summer by rail and steamer, Dawson City merchants provided perishable foods year-round, all at a price of 2 to 3 times that . . . — Map (db m49303) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — K.T.M. CompanyLa compagnie K.T.M.
[English] Built in 1899, this warehouse was taken over by the Klondike Thawing Machine Company 1n 1913. The growing hardware company was it the process of buying out other firms and expanding its line of goods even as Klondike gold claims were being consolidated by larger mining companies. The warehouse was necessary to store the company’s varied merchandise stock because for 8 months of the year it was cut off from “outside’ sources of supply.

[French] Construit en 1899, cet . . . — Map (db m49302) HM

Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Macaulay’s ResidenceRésidence Macaulay
[English] This fine two storey house, built in 1901, was owned by Henry C. Macaulay, Dawson City’s first mayor. Subsequently, it housed such affluent individuals as a merchant, a Territorial Commissioner, a surveyor, and senior management of the Yukon Consolidated Gold Corporation. It was a residence for those whose instructions, salaries and life-style came from outside.

[French] Cette belle maison de deux étages, construite en 1901, a été la propriété de Henry C. Macaulay, premier . . . — Map (db m49343) HM

Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Madame Tremblay’s Store/Le magasin de Madame Tremblay
While this building dates from 1899, it did not become Mme. Tremblay’s, a dry goods and novelty shop, until 1913. Émillie Tremblay had first come to the territory as a young French Canadian bride in 1895 with her husband Jack. After 15 years on Eldorado Creek, and with the era of the individual miner on the wane, they moved to Dawson City. There they completed the transition from miners to merchants by investing their earnings from the creeks in the store. Mme. Tremblay ran the store until . . . — Map (db m44933) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — N.W.M.P. Commanding Officer’s QuartersLe logement du commandant de la P.C.N.O.
[English] This handsome residence was built in 1902 for the commanding officer of the North West Mounted Police. It lent dignity, authority and a degree of permanence to the presence of law and order in Dawson City. While the police presence was permanent, the foundation of the building proved less so and was plagued with constant maintenance and repair problems. It was abandoned in 1945, in very poor shape. Restored by the Canadian Parks Service, the building now houses staff.

[French] . . . — Map (db m49341) HM

Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Northern Commercial Co. WarehouseL’entrepôt de la Northern Commercial Co.
[English] One of the complex of four warehouses that covered an entire city block in 1898, this and numerous other warehoused like it provided the life blood of Dawson City. For four months a year, the river was open for shipping and in the ensuing flurry of activity, the warehouses were loaded with every conceivable item of merchandise. Over the next 8 months, virtually cut off from the rest of the world, Dawson City drew on these supplies to satisfy the needs and wants of a modern . . . — Map (db m49346) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Palace Grand Theatre/Le théâtre Grand Palace
[English:] “Arizona” Charlie Meadows, showman and self-made heroic figure built a lavish structure in 1899 to prospect gold directly from the miner’s pokes. Hugely successful over its first winter, the theatre offered vaudeville acts, comedy, music and melodrama – all on the same bill. Dance hall girls came next, at a dollar-a-dance from midnight until breakfast, while drinking and gambling went on the whole time. As the heady gold rush days subsided, so did the theatres . . . — Map (db m44890) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Post Office/Le bureau de poste
[English:] Prime Minister Laurier himself recognized the need to link the Klondike with the rest of the country. In 1900, he urged that the building of a Post Office “...be proceeded with at once.” As the first substantial building erected by the government in Dawson City, the Post Office (which included a land registration and telegraph office) was the link to the rest of the country and to the goldfields. From the first, it was a source of civic pride, symbolizing Dawson City’s . . . — Map (db m44936) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Rev. William Henry Judge, S.J.St. Mary's Catholic Church
Credited with saving many lives, Father Judge was one of the true heroes of the Klondike, serving the area from May 1897 until his death January 16, 1899. In this short period he built St. Mary’s Hospital, a church and residences, doing much of the work himself. Despite ill health, Dawson’s first priest became known as “The Saint of Dawson” through his untiring efforts in serving God and his fellow man. — Map (db m70916) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Robert Service's Cabin / La cabane de Robert Service
English: Within 5 years of Robert Service's departure in 1912, the local press referred to his rented cabin as a “shrine”. It became Yukon’s foremost tourist attraction virtually from the day it was abandoned. Maintained, altered and embellished by local service groups, the Klondike Bard’s cabin has come to symbolize the legacy of the Klondike Gold Rush: “Have you suffered, starved and triumphed, grovelled down, yet grasped at glory. Grown bigger in the . . . — Map (db m42695) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Ruby’s Place/La maison de Ruby
[English:] Opened as a boarding house and laundry in 1902, the building was taken over by Mathilde “Ruby” Scott in 1935. For over 27 years, this former Paris Madame operated a brothel here, finding a ready clientele in the seasonal workers from the gold dredge camps. She operated with the tacit approval of local officials until 1961. With both gold mining and her business in decline, Ruby was charged with keeping a bawdy house. For the next 8 years, Ruby’s was simply a boarding . . . — Map (db m44887) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — St. Andrew’s Church and ManseL’église et le presbytère St. Andrew’s
[English] This substantial Presbyterian Church was a reflection of the prosperity and commitment of the congregation it served. Erected in 1901, it boasted a pipe organ and carved oak pews that could accommodate 600. The church bore the architectural stamp of the Gothic Revival popular elsewhere in the country. Together, with the spacious manse, of Second Empire design, it was one more element of familiarity in respectability in a city that was rapidly changing from its boom-town . . . — Map (db m49307) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — The B.Y.N. Co. Ticket Office/La billettetereie de la compagnie B.Y.N.
[English:] This structure, built in 1900, is all that remains of a larger complex that included a warehouse and dock. At the time of the gold rush and for years afterwards, the riverfront was the transition point between Dawson City and the rest of the world. Riverside facilities were developed until they stretched in a solid line across the city’s length. For most people, it was the first thing that greeted them as the arrived in Dawson City – and the last thing they saw as the . . . — Map (db m44859) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — The Midnight Dome
“What fools we mortals be.” About 150 people, “many of whom were ladies”, attended the first formal gathering to see the midnight sun on June 21, 1899. Weary mountaineers were greeted with a selection of nuts, candies and soft drinks at suitably elevated prices. Both the British and American flags were raised and the Ceremony began with a bugle call. The highlight of the evening was a speech by playwright and poet Captain Jack Crawford. Disappointing the crowd, the sun . . . — Map (db m44762) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Tribute to the Miner
Dedicated to the Klondike Gold Miners past, present and future in recognition of their contributions to Dawson City and the Klondike Region.

In 1896, gold was discovered on Rabbit Creek (later known as Bonanza Creek) by Skookum Jim, George Carmack and Dawson Charlie, on the advice of fellow prospector Robert Henderson.

This event sparked the Great Klondike Gold Rush of 1898, and Dawson City and the Yukon Territory were born.

Monument designed for the Klondyke Centennial Society by . . . — Map (db m49349) HM

Yukon Territory, Dawson City — West Dawson
West Dawson was settled c.1899 by people wanting to avoid overcrowding and typhoid outbreaks in Dawson. Farms also became established and later, as mining in the sixtymile area increased, a link with Dawson became necessary. In 1902 a ferry guided by a cable began operating. This cable was supported on the opposite bank by a 37 metre tower which provided clearance for the riverboats. — Map (db m44711) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Yukon Hotel
[English] When it was built in the fall of 1898, the Binet Block stood at the southern end of the business district extending north to King Street. A two-storey log building with a facade of milled lumber, it was typical of commercial structures built at the height of the gold rush. The lower floor with its large windows was meant for commercial use, the upper for residential. Between October 1898 and October 1900, the Federal Government rented it for offices. During the next fifty-seven . . . — Map (db m49306) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Yukon Saw Mill Office Historic Site
The Yukon Saw Mill Company was one of the first to cut timber in the Klondike, registering its first timber lease in March of 1898. At its peak, the company’s machine shop was the largest north of Vancouver, and its lumberyard stretched over three city blocks. The economic impact from these operations was far-reaching, not only for local workers, but also for the First nations and non-First Nations contractors who cut the timber and rafted huge log booms down the Yukon River to the Dawson . . . — Map (db m44761) HM
Yukon Territory, Haines Junction — The Tatshenshini RiverLa rivière Tatshenshini
{English} The Tatshenshini River, known as Shawshe Chu in the Southern Tutchone language, begins in northwestern British Columbia and flows nearly 200 kilometers through the traditional territory of the Champagne and Aishihik First Nations into the Gulf of Alaska. The Tatshenshini is a traditional travel route with great cultural and spiritual significance to Southern Tetchome and Tlingit First Nations. Flowing down rugged canyons carved through coastal mountains, post glacier-filled valleys, . . . — Map (db m49612) HM
Yukon Territory, Watson Lake — Welcome to the Sign Post Forest
In 1942, during the construction of the Alaska Highway, the United States Army Corps of Engineers erected mileage posts at their camps that listed places, distances and directions in the Yukon, other Canadian cities, cities within the United States of America and also other parts of the world. One of these posts was erected at the Wye, the corner of the Alaska Highway and the road to the Watson Lake Airport, where the Sign Post Forest stands today. The original post is the only mileage post of . . . — Map (db m72697) HM
Yukon Territory, Whitehorse — Alaska Highway
(left marker) At this site on 1 April 1946 the United States Army officially handed over the Alaska Highway and associated facilities to the Canadian Army This plaque is dedicated to the those who built and cared for the Alaska Highway by the members of the Northwest Highway System June 1956 (right marker) At this site on 1 April 1964 the Canadian Army handed over responsibility for the Alaska Highway and the Northwest Highway . . . — Map (db m42832) HM
Yukon Territory, Whitehorse — Copper Nugget
This immense slab of native copper weighs 2590 pounds or 1175 kilograms. In 1905, prospectors found the copper on the upper White River, 250 miles northwest of Whitehorse. This is the Yukon’s largest copper nugget, possibly a Canadian record. Six men ventured into the wilderness in April 1958 to fetch the trophy nugget. Using a Canadian Army caterpillar, the slab was hoisted 400 feet to the riverbank. Guided by dog teams, the group hauled their copper cargo through wilderness, around . . . — Map (db m42727) HM
Yukon Territory, Whitehorse — Log Church & Rectory
The Reverend Richard Bowen and his wife, veterans of the Klondike Goldrush arrived here August 1, 1900 at the call of Bishop Bompas. Bowen immediately undertook with volunteer labour to build this church of logs and held his first service on October 7, 1900. The Rectory was begun three months later with the temperature at 29 degrees below zero. It has served as a social centre and a school for native children. The era of the Log Church ended on January 17, 1960 with the completion of a new . . . — Map (db m42864) HM
Yukon Territory, Whitehorse — SS Klondike
English: The largest vessel ever to ply the Canadian portion of the Yukon River, this sternwheeler was built by the British Yukon Navigation Co. and launched at Whitehorse in 1937 to replace her namesake, which sank the year before. Klondike No. 2 was designed to expedite the movement of silver-lead ore on the Yukon River. A combination freight and passenger boat, she operated primarily between Whitehorse and Dawson. In 1954-55 the vessel was placed in cruise service after an . . . — Map (db m42699) HM
Yukon Territory, Whitehorse — White Pass and Yukon Route RailwayLe Chemin de Fer White Pass et Yukon
English: Built at the time of the Klondike Gold Rush, the 177 km narrow gauge railway was the heart of the Yukon transportation system for over 80 years. Completed in 1900, it linked the tidewater port of Skagway in Alaska with Whitehorse, head of navigation on the Yukon River. As a result, Whitehorse became the transportation, and later, the administrative, commercial and population centre of the Yukon. The scenic line stopped operating in 1982 but was subsequently revived as a . . . — Map (db m42863) HM
35 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 343 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.