Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First American Flag
Raised on Michigan soil
By Capt., Porter 1796.
Site of River Raisin
Block house occupied
By American troops.
Burned by the British
Capt., Elliott under order
Of Col. Proctor. Aug. 1812.
Erected 1937 by Nancy de Graff Toll Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution and the Patriotic Organizations of Monroe.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 41° 55.114′ N, 83° 23.806′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of North Monroe Street and West Elm Street, on the right when traveling south on North Monroe Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Monroe MI 48162, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception (a few steps from this marker); Major-General George Armstrong Custer (within shouting distance of this marker); General George A. Custer (within shouting distance of this marker); George Armstrong Custer Historic River Raisin (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Monroe Street Bridge (about 300 feet away); Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (about 400 feet away); Indian Trading Post (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Monroe.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,001 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.