Born 1786 in New Jersey; admitted to the bar 1810. Residing in Vincennes, Indiana Territory in 1815; later elected Speaker of the first state House of Representatives. In September 1817, Governor Jennings appointed Blackford to Indiana Supreme Court. He served 1817- 1852, publishing the Courtís decisions in his eight- volume, nationally acclaimed Reports of Cases.
Blackford invested in Indiana land, including properties in new state capital, Indianapolis; purchased land here, 1832. He helped establish Indiana Colonization Society, and promoted education. In 1855, U.S. President Franklin Pierce, appointed Blackford to U.S. Court of Claims, Washington, D.C.; he served until his death; buried in Indianapolis January 1860.
Erected 2011 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Indiana Supreme Court. (Marker Number 49.2011.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 46.296′ N, 86° 10.208′ W. Marker is in Indianapolis, Indiana, in Marion County. Marker is on N. Blackford Street near W. New York Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Indianapolis IN 46202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Aimee Rose Formo of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 833 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Aimee Rose Formo of Indianapolis, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.