State Seminary of Indiana
Congress, asserting that education was necessary for representative government, granted Indiana one township of land to support a seminary as part of its admission to statehood in 1816. In 1820, Governor Jonathan Jennings approved the act creating the State Seminary. When classes first began here April 4, 1825, only Ancient Greek and Latin were taught.
Legislation recreated the Seminary as Indiana College (1828) and Indiana University (1838) to teach “useful arts and sciences” and attract more students. After a fire in 1883, University Trustees purchased land northeast of here at Dunnís Woods for a new campus that would allow for development and enlargement of the University; classes began there in 1885.
Erected 2011 by Indiana Historical Bureau, City of Bloomington, and Indiana University. (Marker Number 53.2011.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 9.683′ N, 86° 32.019′ W. Marker is in Bloomington, Indiana, in Monroe County. Marker is on W. 2nd St., on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 W. 2nd St.,, Bloomington IN 47403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Aimee Rose Formo of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 802 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Aimee Rose Formo of Indianapolis, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.