HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Near Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Second Division
Cavalry Corps

Army of the Potomac
 
Second Division, Cavalry Corps Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, April 12, 2008
1. Second Division, Cavalry Corps Marker
 
Inscription.
Army of the Potomac
Cavalry Corps
Second Division

The extreme right flank of the Army of the Potomac July 3, 1863. Held by Capt. James W. Walsh's Squadron 3d Pennsylvania Cavalry on the left of which to the west of the Low Dutch Road was posted Capt. Frank W. Hess's Squadron. On the left of the latter squadron was Capt. Wm. E. Miller's Battalion of the Regiment which charged through the Confederate column almost up to their batteries on Cress's Ridge north of Rummel Farm Buildings.
 
Erected 1913 by Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
 
Location. 39° 49.712′ N, 77° 9.484′ W. Marker is near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Low Dutch Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located in Gettysburg National Military Park. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Third Pennsylvania Cavalry (approx. mile away); Union Cavalry (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Brigade (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Second Division (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1st Regiment Maryland Cavalry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Co. A Purnell Legion (approx. 0.4 miles away); A Violent Collision of Cavalry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Second Brigade (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Gettysburg.
 
Second Division, Cavalry Corps Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, April 12, 2008
2. Second Division, Cavalry Corps Marker
The marker stands next to Low Dutch Road, about a half mile northwest of the East Cavalry Battlefield section of the Gettysburg National Military Park.
 
 
Low Dutch Road Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, April 12, 2008
3. Low Dutch Road
Looking to the north from the marker location. Low Dutch Road was the far right flank of the Union army on day 3 of the Battle of Gettysburg. The 3rd Pennsylvania Cavalry anchored this position, deployed mostly to the west (left of photo) of the road.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 665 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 13, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 602 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.