Grooverville in Brooks County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Grooverville Methodist Church
In 1856, it was decided to move the church to Grooverville, a more central location, and present site – to Richard Ramsey. M. W. Linton and W. R. Joiner as Trustees, Mr. Linton sawed the lumber and the carpenters from his plantation built the church edifice. The name of the church was then changed from Lebanon to Grooverville and it because the largest on a circuit originally composed of Grooverville, Prospect, Hickory head and Beulah. Three grandsons of Wm. H. Ramsey, the founder of this church, became Methodist ministers in Georgia conference.
Erected 1966 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 014-10.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boston GA 31626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Liberty Baptist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Elizabeth Elementary School (approx. 6.7 miles away in Florida); Bethlehem Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 8.5 miles away but has been reported missing); West End Cemetery (approx. 10.5 miles away); Civil War Slave Conspiracy (approx. 10.8 miles away); Brooks County (approx. 10.8 miles away); Old Coffee Road (approx. 11.6 miles away); Concord Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 13.8 miles away in Florida).
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,563 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.