(map on front, text on reverse)
When the state of Ohio was chartered, it mandated that every township set aside land for schools.The result was the classic one room schoolhouses that were built in the mid to last half of the eighteenth century and became the educational foundation of our state.
Perry Township had 10 such schools within its boundaries. The contributions of these schools as well as the contributions of the people who taught and learned within these walls have lifted this township, this state, and this nation to immeasurable heights. The foresight and commitment of our founding fathers and mothers to education has molded this township's greatest resource...its people. For it is only through the hard work, and dedicated service of educated citizens that this great township has developed from the Black Swamp that it once was, to the agriculturally rich land that it is today.
Location. 41° 12.6′ N, 83° 28.623′ W. Marker is in West Millgrove, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of Eagleville Road and Baird Road on Eagleville Road. Click for map. This marker is at on old crossroads point of three early roads, Eagleville Road following the ridge, Oil Center Road, and Baird Road. Marker is in this post office area: West Millgrove OH 43467, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
More about this marker. This is an interesting marker for the large size and for the large map on the front side.
Regarding Perry Center. The marker contains an error in the text. The text refers to the schools as built in the mid to last half of the eighteenth century. That would mean 1750-1800. What they meant was the 1800's, which was the 19th century. There is also no mention of the adjacent building which I presume is one of the one room schoolhouses, this one of wooden rather than brick construction.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. This page has been viewed 426 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on January 10, 2017.