Titusville in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Titus House & the Indian River Hotel, c. 1869
Before 1885, no railroad came to Titusville. Visitors usually traveled south from Jacksonville by steamboats on the St. Johns River, proceeding on to Salt lake a few miles west of here, or coming overland from Enterprise.
After Titus died in 1881, the Titus House was sold and expanded into the Indian River Hotel, which incorporated the original structure's wings. By 1915, it had become The Dixie Hotel, which it remained until fire partially destroyed the historic inn in 1962. The structure was torn down and replaced with high-rise apartments.
"We found the Titus House very comfortable, immaculately clean, and the parlor had matting on the floor, and curtains on the windows, glass windows!"
- A young female visitor, 1880
Erected by City of Titusville.
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Titusville FL 32796, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Titus House (within shouting distance of this marker); Scobie Fish & Oyster Company - 1885 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Pritchard House (about 700 feet away); St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Titusville Negro School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Titusville Veteran's Memorial Fishing Pier (approx. 0.6 miles away); Oliver's Camp (approx. 2.6 miles away); Site of First Church (approx. 2.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Titusville.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 274 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on February 16, 2017.