Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Peninsula Campaign Warwick River

 
 
Peninsula Campaign Warwick River Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. Peninsula Campaign Warwick River Marker
Inscription. Following the 10 June 1861 Battle of Big Bethel, Maj. Gen. John B. Magruder, commander of the Confederate Army of the Peninsula, organized the construction of three defensive lines of fortifications across the peninsula. The main line extended 12 miles from Yorktown to the Warwick River and downstream to Lee’s Mill, then westward to Skiffes Creek, which flowed into the James River at the Mulberry Island Point battery. When Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan began his Peninsula Campaign to capture Richmond, the Warwick River fortifications blocked the progress of Army of the Potomac on 5 April 1862. McClellan ordered a siege that lasted from 5 April to 4 May 1962.
 
Erected 2001 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number W 62.)
 
Location. 37° 10.91′ N, 76° 32.175′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is on Constitution Way, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located in Newport News Park, in the north end of the parking lot at the Discovery Center. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mott’s Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Dam No. 1
Marker in in Newport News Park image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Marker in in Newport News Park
(about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Lee’s Mill (Dam Number 1) (about 400 feet away); Third Regiment Vermont Volunteer Infantry (about 400 feet away); Ten Pound Parrott Rifle and Limber (about 400 feet away); Custer’s Covered Way (about 500 feet away); Berdan’s Sharpshooters (about 500 feet away); One-Gun Battery (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Newport News.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers on the Two Forts Walking Trail in Newport News Park.
 
Also see . . .  The Peninsula Campaign. (Submitted on August 13, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Additional comments.
1. Old Marker
This marker replaced a previous W-62 with the same title, placed 4 miles southeast of Denbigh on Route 337. The old marker read, A short distance west of this road is Warwick River, on the west side of which, extending to Yorktown, John B. Magruder built fortifications in January and
Warwick River Fortifications image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
3. Warwick River Fortifications
These earthworks were part of the first defensive line built by the Confederates to span the the peninsula early in the Civil War. They are located in Newport News Park, near the marker.
February, 1862.
    — Submitted August 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Site of Battle of Dam No. 1 image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
4. Site of Battle of Dam No. 1
This bridge over the Lee Hall Reservoir was the site of the only major offensive made by McClellan during the Peninsula Campaign of 1862. It is located just west of the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,242 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement