Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lee’s Mill Earthworks

 
 
Lee’s Mill Earthworks Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. Lee’s Mill Earthworks Marker
Inscription. These earthworks were part of General John B. Magruder’s second line of defense. At this site on April 5, 1862, Confederate General Lafayette McLaw’s four companies of the Tenth Georgia with Captain Joseph B. Cosnahan’s two batteries stopped the advance of Union General William F. “Baldy” Smith’s two divisions of the Fourth Army Corps and Captain Charles C. Wheeler’s six batteries. Several skirmishes and engagements occurred here between April 5 and May 4, 1862 at which time the Confederate forces abandoned the earthworks and withdrew to Williamsburg.
 
Erected 1986 by Department of Conservation and Historic Resources. (Marker Number W 71.)
 
Location. 37° 10.173′ N, 76° 33.834′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Warwick Blvd. (U.S. 60) and Lees Mill Drive, on the right when traveling east on Warwick Blvd.. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23608, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lee’s Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away); Battle of Lee’s Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Warwick River (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fortification Design
Marker on Warwick Blvd image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Marker on Warwick Blvd
On April 5, 1862, Union troops advancing on Richmond were stopped at this location by entrenched Confederates. The strength of these fortifications caused the Federals to switch to a seige action.
(approx. 0.4 miles away); The Warwick-Yorktown Line (approx. 0.4 miles away); Union Occupation (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Lee’s Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mulberry Point (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Newport News.
 
Also see . . .  The Peninsula Campaign of 1862. (Submitted on August 13, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Lee’s Mill Earthworks image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
3. Lee’s Mill Earthworks
These earthworks on the Warwick River were part of Magruder's second line of defense across the peninsula. They are located about a half mile west of the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,395 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement