Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
After 93 years, it is one of a few remnants of a line that withstood the quartering steel & climbing fire of Federal armies forty two days – evacuated only when the remaining R.R. was cut. The fort was named for Maj. General W.H.T. Walker, killed in the Battle of Atlanta.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-108.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 43.835′ N, 84° 22.129′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Boulevard and Atlanta Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Boulevard. Click for map. This marker is located inside the South East corner of Grant Park at an old entrance. The entrance is closed to vehicle traffic. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30319, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. This Line of Breastworks (within shouting distance of this marker); Grant Park (approx. half a mile away); Roosevelt High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); To Robert Burns (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Hanging of Andrews Raiders (approx. 1.1 miles away); Burial Ground of Congregation Ahavath Achim (approx. 1.2 miles away); Rev. Dr. Henry Carr Hornady (approx. 1.2 miles away); Martha Lumpkin Compton (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Atlanta.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,846 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 14, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.