Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Appleton in Outagamie County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Lawrence University

 
 
Lawrence University Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 6, 2008
1. Lawrence University Marker
Inscription. Lawrence University, chartered January 15, 1847, has admitted women to its student body from the day classes started November 12, 1849, in the original Academy or Institute. The first collegiate class of seven students -- four men and three women -- was graduated in July 1857, thereby making Lawrence University the first coeducational institution of higher learning in the State of Wisconsin.
 
Erected 1971 by Outagamie County Historical Society. (Marker Number 87.)
 
Location. 44° 15.702′ N, 88° 23.914′ W. Marker is in Appleton, Wisconsin, in Outagamie County. Marker is on East College Avenue near North Union Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Appleton WI 54912, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Merging of Milwaukee-Downer and Lawrence Colleges (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vulcan Street Plant Replica (approx. mile away); First Edison Hyrdoelectric System in America (approx. 0.3 miles away); 9-11 Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Commercially Successful Electric Street Railway
Lawrence University Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 6, 2008
2. Lawrence University Marker
(approx. half a mile away); Hearthstone (approx. one mile away); Number 736 (approx. one mile away); Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Appleton.
 
More about this marker. This is a Wisconsin Registered Landmark – Number 87.
 
Also see . . .  A Brief History of Lawrence University. The Reverend William Harkness Sampson had been commissioned, along with the Reverend Henry R. Colman, by the Boston merchant Amos A. Lawrence to establish a frontier school to afford "gratuitous advantage to Germans and Indians of both sexes." (Submitted on August 14, 2008.) 
 
Categories. Education
 
Lawrence University image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 6, 2008
3. Lawrence University
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 802 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement