HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Enoch Pratt House
 
The Enoch Pratt House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, August 14, 2008
1. The Enoch Pratt House Marker
 
Inscription. Enoch Pratt (1806-1896) moved to Baltimore in 1831 to launch a wholesale hardware business on South Charles Street. By 1851 he had invested in western Maryland coal mines and iron foundries in the Baltimore neighborhood of Canton. He made his own merchandise, thereby ending his dependence on other manufacturers. Pratt became the president of the National Farmers' and Planters' Bank of Baltimore, president of the Baltimore Clearing House, and the Maryland Bankers' Association, in addition to establishing a role in several transportation companies.

Pratt and his wife built their home on the southwest corner of Park Avenue and Monument Street in 1845. As they had no children, Pratt gave much of his time and wealth to Baltimore's cultural and charitable institutions, serving as a trustee of the Peabody Institute as well as treasurer and chairman of its library committee. He founded the House of Reformation and Instruction for Colored Children at Cheltenham, and the Maryland School for the Deaf and Dumb at Frederick. In 1885 construction began on the Enoch Pratt Free Circulating Library. After constructing a central library building and four neighborhood branches, he presented them to the city along with a $1 million endowment indented for the perpetual support of a free public library system in Baltimore.

[photograph]
In
 
The Enoch Pratt House Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck
2. The Enoch Pratt House
The marker can be seen on the corner of the building closest to the camera.
 
1847 The Baltimore Equitable society issued an insurance policy to Enoch Pratt for his new home and stable noting a: "two story brick stable, 24 feet by 46 feet - built in a secure manner."

[photograph]
In 1916, as a memorial to her husband H. Irvine Keyser, Mary Washington Keyser presented the former Enoch Pratt residence and its land to the MdHS as its permanent home.
 
Erected 2008 by the City of Baltimore, Shiela Dixon, mayor.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 17.84′ N, 76° 37.122′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of West Monument Street and Park Avenue, on the right when traveling east on West Monument Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. H. Irvine Keyser (a few steps from this marker); Maryland Historical Society (a few steps from this marker); On To Yorktown (within shouting distance of this marker); King Gambrinus, 1879 (within shouting distance of this marker); Grace and St. Peter's Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Revels (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Garrett Jacobs Mansion (about 600 feet away); John Eager Howard (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Baltimore.
 
The Enoch Pratt House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Don Morfe, March 13, 2009
3. The Enoch Pratt House Marker
Enoch Pratt is buried in Green Mount Cemetery, Baltimore MD
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,572 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 14, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   3. submitted on January 30, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 195 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.