Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lee Hall

 
 
Lee Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. Lee Hall Marker
Inscription. Lee Hall, a stately Italianate plantation dwelling, was built by 1859 for affluent planter Richard Decatur Lee. Confederate generals John Bankhead Magruder and Joseph Eggleston Johnston used the mansion as their headquarters during the April – May 1862 Warwick-Yorktown siege phase of the Peninsula Campaign. An earthen fort in the yard used to launch a Confederate hot-air balloon on 17 Apr. 1862 remains from the military occupation. A brief skirmish was fought here on 4 May 1862 during the Confederate retreat to Williamsburg. After the war, Lee strove to revitalize his farm but went bankrupt in 1870 and was foreclosed the next year.
 
Erected 2001 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number W 54.)
 
Location. 37° 12.053′ N, 76° 34.421′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is on Yorktown Road (Virginia Route 238), on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 163 Yorktown Road, Newport News VA 23603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Lee Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); An Earthwork in Front (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line);
Lee Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Lee Hall Marker
Master and Slaves (about 600 feet away); Largest and Most Valuable Estate in the County (about 600 feet away); Homestead by the Main Road (about 800 feet away); A Large Brick Kitchen (about 800 feet away); Lee Hall Village (approx. half a mile away); Lee Hall Depot (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Newport News.
 
Also see . . .
1. Lee Hall Mansion. (Submitted on August 14, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. The Peninsula Campaign. (Submitted on August 14, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
3. Lee Hall. (PDF) National Register documentation for the plantation. (Submitted on August 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable PlacesWar, US Civil
 
Lee Hall Mansion image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
3. Lee Hall Mansion
This mansion is the only large, mid-19th century plantation house remaining on Virginia's lower peninsula.
Back of Lee Hall Mansion image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
4. Back of Lee Hall Mansion
A small skirmish was fought near Lee Hall between retreating Confederates and Union cavalry on May 4, 1862. The site of Lee Hall remained under Union control until the end of the war.
Earthworks in Front of the Mansion image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
5. Earthworks in Front of the Mansion
A Confederate hot-air balloon was launched from these earthworks on April 17, 1862. They are located in front of Lee Hall Mansion.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,380 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement