Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Endview

Home of the Warwick Beauregards

 

ó1862 Peninsula Campaign ó

 
Endview Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. Endview Marker
Inscription. The white two-and-a-half story frame building in front of you in the distance is Endview. Endview was built circa 1760 by Col. William Harwood, Jr., who was a member of the House of Burgesses, a signer of the Virginia Resolves, and a Warwick County militia officer. When the French-American army began its march to begin the Revolutionary Warís Siege of Yorktown on September 28, 1781, Maj. Gen. Thomas Nelson, Jr.ís, 3,000-strong Virginia militia used Endview as a campground. Because of its location at a midpoint between the James and York rivers, Endview once again served as an important militia muster point and campground during the War of 1812.

When the Civil War erupted Endview was owned by Dr. Humphrey Harwood Curtis. Dr. Curtis organized local volunteers into the Warwick Beauregards (Co. H, 32rd Virginia Volunteer Infantry) at Endview and was elected the unitís captain. Endview became a major campground and hospital for Confederates during the early stages of the Peninsula Campaign. Once the Southern army withdrew from its Warwick River – Yorktown defenses, the Union army occupied Endview and used the building as a hospital during the May 5, 1862, Battle of Williamsburg.
 
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
 
Marker series. This marker
Marker at Endview Plantation image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Marker at Endview Plantation
The Endview Plantation House can be seen behind the marker in this photo.
is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 37° 12.765′ N, 76° 34.263′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is on Yorktown Road (Virginia Route 238), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 362 Yorktown Road, Newport News VA 23603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Endview (here, next to this marker); Lebanon Church (here, next to this marker); Aviation Field Yorktown (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Lebanon Church (a few steps from this marker); The Dairy Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Endview Spring (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lee Hall (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Newport News.
 
More about this marker. The right side of the marker contains a photograph of the Endview Plantation, c. 1899, and photographs of Maria Curtis and Dr. Humphrey Harwood Curtis. Images Courtesy of Mrs. Elizabeth Fauntleroy Smith Bentien.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers found at the Endview Plantation.
 
Also see . . .
Markers on Yorktown Road image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
3. Markers on Yorktown Road
Two Virginia Civil War Trails markers are found at this location. The Endview marker is the one on the right in the photo.
1. History of Endview Plantation. Endview Plantation website. (Submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

2. The Peninsula Campaign. (Submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
3. Tidewater Virginia, The 1862 Peninsula Campaign. Civil War Traveler. (Submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

4. Endview Plantation. (PDF) National Register documentation for Endview. (Submitted on August 17, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War of 1812War, US CivilWar, US Revolutionary
 
Endview Plantation image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 13, 2008
4. Endview Plantation
The Endview Plantation house was used as a hospital during the Peninsula Campaign by both the Union and Confederate armies.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,323 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement