Port Penn in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Cleaver House
At the Crossroads of Commerce
Changing Times in Port Penn
Following construction of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal (c.1829) a few miles to the north, major shipping began to bypass Port Penn. The town still managed to provide local agricultural producers with a convenient method to export their goods. The port began to lose its competitive advantage with the advent of the railroad. Today Port Penn is known as a fishing village.
Center Panel A symbol of the Cleaver family's importance to the area, the house was fashioned as two urban townhouses. The Cleaver family lived in the northern section of the house with its large entrance hall, elegant staircase, and marble fireplace surrounds. The southern portion of the building served as Cleaver's office, dry goods store, and storehouse. This section later served as the town's first post office.
Right Panel In 1834, Joseph Cleaver built this house near the river and what was then the region's biggest port. He called it Linden Hall. As one of Port Penn's best-known merchants, he hoped to dominate the trade between the Delaware River and the farmlands of southern New Castle County.
Erected by The Village of Port Penn.
Location. 39° 31.004′ N, 75° 34.591′ Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Penn DE 19731, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Hubbs House (within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Stewart House (about 400 feet away); The Cannery Lot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Port Penn Schoolhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Floating Cabins and Skinning Shacks (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wetland Ways (approx. 0.2 miles away); Port Penn Front Range Light (approx. 1.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Port Penn.
More about this marker. Left Photos The wharf on the Delaware River, directly east of this site, gave Port Penn much of its economic livelihood.
Center Photo Linden Hall was among the most important structures in Port Penn. Pictured here are Samuel B. Cleaver, Catherine Cleaver, Sarah B. Cleaver, Henry Cleaver, Mr. Eaton, W.S. Eaton and Mr. Lockerman, with the horse "Dan." Photo dated November 28, 1877.
Map List of Port Penn markers.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,721 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.