HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Lebanon Church
In the Line of March

— 1862 Peninsula Campaign —
 
Lebanon Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. Lebanon Church Marker
 
Inscription. Historic Lebanon Church, located behind you at the intersection of two strategic highways, served both the Confederate and the Union armies during the Civil War. Soon after Confederate Col. John Bankhead Magruder began organizing the Peninsula’s defenses at Yorktown on May 21, 1861, elements of the 3rd Virginia Cavalry established a courier station here. Countless Confederate soldiers marched by here between April 5 and May 3, 1862, to fill Magruder’s trenches. Three lines of fortifications blocked Union Gen. George B. McClellan’s advance from Fort Monroe; the strongest line stretched 12 miles from Mulberry Island on the James River and followed the swampy Warwick River to within a mile of Yorktown. Capt. Richard H. Adams, Jr., of the 5th Alabama Infantry wrote, “We took up a line of march for Lebanon Church, a very disagreeable one too. Stayed about 2 hours [in the rain] march to Lee’s Farm, Gen. Magruder’s Headqtrs.” The Confederates abandoned their lines and marched by here in their retreat to Williamsburg. On May 4, the day before the Battle of Williamsburg, Union Gens. William F. Smith and Winfield Scott Hancock established their headquarters here. Federal troops occupied the area afterward, and the 5th Pennsylvania Cavalry used the church as a stable until 1863. The troopers burned the floors for firewood, removed
 
Markers on Yorktown Road Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Markers on Yorktown Road
Two markers are found at this location on Yorktown Road. The Lebanon Church marker is to the left in the photo.
 
bricks from the walls, and partially destroyed the roof.

Sidebar:
Followers of Thomas and Alexander Campbell, known as Campbellites, established the first Lebanon Church congregation in York County early in the 19th century. The members worshipped in an abandoned Episcopal church in nearby Kiskiack from 1825 to 1833. The next year, they moved to Warwick County and began constructing a log church that burned down before it was completed. The congregation then met in a small building here. By 1853, a new clapboard structure was completed; fire destroyed it in 1859. The members immediately built this brick church, but it soon suffered the ravages of war. Afterward, the congregation failed to secure federal funds for balcony repairs and other purposes, and the building was not repaired until early in the 1900s.
 
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 37° 12.698′ N, 76° 34.331′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is on Yorktown Road (Virginia Route 238), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
 
Lebanon Church Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
3. Lebanon Church
A great number of Confederates passed this point in 1862 on their way to the main fortifications and later during their retreat up the peninsula.
 
of this marker. Endview (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Lebanon Church (a few steps from this marker); Aviation Field Yorktown (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Endview (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Dairy Building (about 700 feet away); The Endview Spring (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lee Hall (approx. ¾ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Newport News.
 
More about this marker. Photographs of Col. John B. Magruder, Gen William F. Smith and Gen. Winfield S. Hancock appear on the top of the marker. The upper right of the marker features a map of “Magruder’s Yorktown defenses, showing Lebanon Church and Lee Hall.”
The sidebar includes a 1917 photo of Lebanon Church courtesy Dorothy Boniville.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Peninsula Campaign. (Submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Tidewater Virginia, The 1862 Peninsula Campaign. Civil War Traveler. (Submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Yorktown Defense Map from Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
4. Yorktown Defense Map from Marker
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 973 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 188 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.