“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Penn in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

The Hubbs House

Architectural Statement

The Hubbs House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 10, 2008
1. The Hubbs House Marker
Inscription. Left Panel
Mail Order Houses
Buildings ordered from Sears, Roebuck and Company came as a complete set of pre-cut lumber for assembly on-site. The company's "Honor-Bilt" system allowed buyers to erect homes at relatively low cost. People could select from a variety of standard floor plans or develop their own custom plan. Outbuildings, furnaces, and interior features were also available. Mail order houses are found in many communities across the United States. They remained popular until the 1930's when economic depression reduced consumer demand.
Center Panel This house was ordered by mail and delivered in pieces by railroad to Delaware City and then brought to Port Penn by wagon. Houses could be ordered from Sears, Roebuck and Company, Montgomery Ward, and other sources. During the growth of mass manufacturing and the mail order business during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, purchasing a home by this method often proved less expensive than using local designers and construction. This house was erected around 1915.
Unlike most dwellings in Port Penn that would be considered typical of the era, the design details of the Hubbs House add to its aesthetic appearance. While working and middle class families were mainly concerned with the cost and function of a house, this home's original owners, the
The Hubbs House image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 10, 2008
2. The Hubbs House
Quillen family, could afford to add details not common on other homes in the village. For example, the second story overhang sometimes called a "Dutch porch," emphasizes the height of the house and is sometimes considered a statement of status or wealth.
Photo and Caption The Hubbs House as it appeared in the 1920's. The property was purchased by the Division of Parks and Recreation from L. Thelma Quillen Hubbs in 1995.
Erected by The Village of Port Penn.
Location. 39° 31.047′ N, 75° 34.585′ W. Marker is in Port Penn, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on N. Congress St. 0.1 miles north of Market Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Penn DE 19731, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Cleaver House (within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Stewart House (about 500 feet away); Wetland Ways (about 700 feet away); Floating Cabins and Skinning Shacks (about 700 feet away); Port Penn Schoolhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Cannery Lot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Port Penn Front Range Light (approx. 1.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Port Penn.
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,389 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement