Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Penn in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Stewart House

Visions of Growth

 
 
The Stewart House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
1. The Stewart House Marker
Inscription. Left Panel Flemish Bond: Strength and Beauty
The handsome brick pattern on the Stewart House is common on early 18th-century buildings. Flemish bond is achieved by overlapping bricks like a woven fabric. Although a labor-intensive design, it increased the strength of the structure. When building materials became stronger and more consistent by the 19th century, simpler and less expensive styles of brickwork became more common.
Center Panel Stewart's vision was like many in the American Colonies at the time. He considered the land a vast resource available for economic exploitation, only requiring the efforts of entrepreneurs to realize its wealth. But changes in shipping and transportation prevented Port Penn's expansion, limited its economic future, and prevented Stewart from realizing his dream.
Right Panel The Stewart House built in the mid-1700's, was owned by at least six generations of the family. David Stewart, Sr., credited with founding Port Penn, planned for the town to become a shipping port that could compete with the firmly established ports of Philadelphia and Wilmington.
 
Erected by The Village of Port Penn.
 
Location. 39° 30.999′ N, 75° 34.673′ W. Marker
The Stewart House image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
2. The Stewart House
is in Port Penn, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Stewart Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is behind the Methodist Church. Marker is in this post office area: Port Penn DE 19731, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Market Square (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cleaver House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hubbs House (about 500 feet away); The Cannery Lot (about 500 feet away); Port Penn Schoolhouse (about 500 feet away); Floating Cabins and Skinning Shacks (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wetland Ways (approx. 0.2 miles away); Port Penn Front Range Light (approx. 1.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Port Penn.
 
More about this marker. Top Photo and Caption View of the Stewart house from the south, circa 1920. You are currently viewing the house from the north.
Bottom Diagram and Caption David Stewart laid out the town of Port Penn to develop an important port. Many of the original lot divisions remain today.
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceNotable BuildingsNotable PersonsSettlements & Settlers
 
The Stewart House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stephen J Duncan, February 27, 2014
3. The Stewart House Marker
Front of the house
The Stewart House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stephen J Duncan, February 27, 2014
4. The Stewart House Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,940 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   3, 4. submitted on , by Stephen J Duncan of Wilmington, Delaware. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement