Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Delaware City in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Delaware City School No. 118C

 
 
Delaware City School No. 118C Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
1. Delaware City School No. 118C Marker
Inscription. In 1919 Delaware radically altered its state school system, opening a new era in the education of African-American youth. Progress was stimulated by the efforts of the Delaware School Auxiliary Association and its primary supporter, P.S. duPont, who conducted a statewide effort to replace outdated and overcrowded facilities. On March 9, 1922 the State received the deed for a new building to replace a school located in the Polktown section of the community. the facility housed grades 1 through 8. citizens expressed their gratitude to Mr. duPont for his "most generous and valuable gift." The school was closed in 1961. In 1962 the property was sold to the Delaware City Community Park District.
 
Erected 1997 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-97.)
 
Location. 39° 34.338′ N, 75° 36.061′ W. Marker is in Delaware City, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker can be reached from Madison Street 0.3 miles south of 5th Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Delaware City DE 19706, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Delaware City Public School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. half
Delaware City School No. 118C image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
2. Delaware City School No. 118C
a mile away); Delaware Historic Civil Engineering Landmark (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Diving Bell (approx. 0.8 miles away); Pea Patch Island (approx. 1.8 miles away); Batteries Hentig and Dodd (approx. 2.1 miles away); Sally Port (approx. 2.1 miles away); W. Emerson Wilson (approx. 2.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Delaware City.
 
Categories. African AmericansEducationGovernmentNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
Collins - Blackburn Memorial Building Plaque image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
3. Collins - Blackburn Memorial Building Plaque
This building, formerly known as Delaware City School #118C, served as a school for the African American students of Delaware City between the years of 1922 and 1961. During these years 13 steachrs taught over 300 students.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,647 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement