Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Captain John A. Sutter's Landing

 
 
Captain John A. Sutter's Landing Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 15, 2006
1. Captain John A. Sutter's Landing Marker
Inscription. [Main Marker]:
Captain John A. Sutter, after coming up the Sacramento River from Yerba Buena in August 1839, landed approximately two hundred feet north of here, at what was then the south bank of the American River. A short time thereafter he moved to the site where he established a permanent camp, and later built his fort. Sutter and his men where the first settlers within the present city limits of Sacramento.

[Smaller Marker]:
In commemoration of the landing of John A. Sutter
A Fellow Pioneer
1854-1888
Relocated August 13, 1989
Sacramento Pioneer Association

 
Erected 1958 by California State Park Commission in Cooperation with the Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West and The Sacramento Historic Landmarks Commission (August 24, 1958). (Marker Number 591.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 34.89′ N, 121° 27.955′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California, in Sacramento County. Marker is at the intersection of C Street and 28th Street, on the right when traveling west on C Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sacramento CA 95816, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Smaller Marker at the Base image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 15, 2006
2. Smaller Marker at the Base
In Commemoration of the Landing of John A. Sutter A Fellow Pioneer 1854-1888 Relocated August 13, 1989 Sacramento Pioneer Association
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Helvetia Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); California State Indian Museum (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sutter's Fort (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Coloma Road (approx. 0.7 miles away); General John A. Sutter (approx. 0.7 miles away); California Almond Growers Exchange (approx. mile away); Blue Diamond Building (approx. mile away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sacramento.
 
Regarding Captain John A. Sutter's Landing. This site is a California Registered Historical Landmark (No. 591).
 
Also see . . .  PBS-The West - John Augustus Sutter. (Submitted on August 20, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Captain John A. Sutter's Landing Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 15, 2006
3. Captain John A. Sutter's Landing Marker
Captain John A. Sutter image. Click for full size.
By Sutter's Fort SHP
4. Captain John A. Sutter
Sutter's Landing Park image. Click for full size.
July 4, 2008
5. Sutter's Landing Park
The actual site where Sutter landed, as well as the original location of the marker, are located in Sutter's Landing Park. In 1989 the marker was moved roughly 2,000 feet south to Fremont Park. The tall cylindrical objects in the left of the picture are related to the collection of natural gas - Sutter's Landing was used as a landfill for decades, and consequently there is still an amount of methane being produced as a byproduct of landfill decomposition.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,174 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   5. submitted on . • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement