Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Here is a redoubt in the line of Confederate defenses, built across the James-York Peninsula in 1861-62 by General John B. Magruder.
Erected 1974 by Virginia Historical Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number W 44.)
Location. 37° 15.653′ N, 76° 40.452′ W. Marker is in Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker is on Pocahontas Trail (U.S. 60), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Williamsburg (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Williamsburg (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Peninsula Campaign (approx. 0.3 miles away); Quarterpath Road (approx. 0.3 miles away); History of Fort Magruder (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Magruder (approx. half a mile away); Vineyard Tract (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Fort Magruder (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Williamsburg.
Also see . . .
1. Battle of Williamsburg, 5 May 1862. Williamsburg was the first large battlefield encounter between (Submitted on August 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. The Peninsula Campaign of 1862. (Submitted on August 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Places • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,189 times since then and 106 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.