Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Allouez in Brown County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Heritage Hill State Park

 
 
Heritage Hill State Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 15, 2008
1. Heritage Hill State Park Marker
Inscription. This park, built to portray and preserve Wisconsin's beginnings, is located on a site that is itself a part of history. On this 40-acre site stood Camp Smith--a temporary location of Fort Howard--part of the pioneer settlement known as Shantytown, and Wisconsin's first courthouse. Through the site passed the military road linking Fort Howard with Fort Winnebago at Portage and Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien.

Many of the buildings at Heritage Hill are original structures that were saved over the years by people of foresight and perseverance. Among these buildings are Henry Baird's law office, several original Fort Howard buildings, the Cotton House, a French fur trader's cabin, and the Tank Cottage--Wisconsin's oldest standing house dating from 1776. The spread of civilization in Wisconsin was begun by the people who first made their homes here on the banks of the Fox River.
 
Erected 1977 by Jean Nicolet Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution and the Weese-coh-Seh Chapter, Daughters of the American Colonists. (Marker Number 239.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 44° 28.404′ N, 88° 1.83′ 
Heritage Hill State Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 15, 2008
2. Heritage Hill State Park Marker
W. Marker is in Allouez, Wisconsin, in Brown County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South Webster Avenue and Greene Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is west of the intersection, in the parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2640 South Webster Avenue, Green Bay WI 54301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Episcopal Mission in Wisconsin (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Catholic Bark Chapel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Menomineeville, Seat of Justice (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Redemptorist Church in America (approx. mile away); Shantytown (approx. mile away); The Port & the Environment (approx. 1.2 miles away); Bernard Henry Pennings (approx. 1.3 miles away); Minahan's Tomb (approx. 1.4 miles away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Allouez.
 
Additional comments.
1. Marker has restricted access
This marker (#541) and the Tank Cottage Marker (#542) are located in a locked concession stand that is only opened to the public during special events. Paid admission ($10 for adults) is required to access these markers. Not available on a daily basis.
    — Submitted June 12, 2016, by Rebecca Ann Barton
Cheese Factory image. Click for full size.
By Robert L Weber
3. Cheese Factory
of Milwaukee, WI - Wisconsin.

 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNotable BuildingsRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Franklin Hose Company image. Click for full size.
By Robert L Weber
4. Franklin Hose Company
Fur Trade Cabin image. Click for full size.
By Robert L Weber
5. Fur Trade Cabin
Print Shop image. Click for full size.
By Robert L Weber
6. Print Shop
Court House image. Click for full size.
By Robert L Weber, circa 2010
7. Court House
Catholic Bark Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Robert L Weber, circa 2010
8. Catholic Bark Chapel
The Catholic Bark Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Robert L Weber
9. The Catholic Bark Chapel
Built by the Indians for Father Claude Allouez in 1671. This is a replica of Wisconsin's first Catholic Church. The original was part of Mission St. Francis Xavior, about one mile south of this site.

Dedicated on August 14, 1982
and donated by the Catholic Woman's Club of Green Bay
Cotton House. Built in the 1840's image. Click for full size.
By Robert L Weber, circa 2010
10. Cotton House. Built in the 1840's
Moravian Church. Built 1851 - 1852 image. Click for full size.
By Robert L Weber, August 6, 2010
11. Moravian Church. Built 1851 - 1852
Fort Howard Post School image. Click for full size.
By Robert L Weber, August 7, 2010
12. Fort Howard Post School
Belgian Farmhouse image. Click for full size.
By Robert L Weber, August 7, 2010
13. Belgian Farmhouse
Cheese Factory image. Click for full size.
By Robert L Weber, August 7, 2010
14. Cheese Factory
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,816 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona.   10, 11. submitted on , by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona.   12, 13, 14. submitted on , by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 17, 2016.
Paid Advertisement