Darien in McIntosh County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church
This building was burned in 1863, when Darien was put to the torch by Federal troops stationed on St. Simon`s Island, and for several years after services were held in a little church on The Ridge.
In 1872, James K. Clarke, Mr. Langdon and Donald Munroe headed a movement to rebuild Saint Andrew`s in Darien. Other members of the church assisted with money and with work. Plans were secured from England, and the edifice as it now stands, a copy of a little church in Britain, was built.
The church was opened in January of 1879, with the Rev. Samuel Pinkerton as Rector.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 095-7.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 22.101′ N, 81° 25.942′ W. Marker is in Darien, Georgia, in McIntosh County. Marker is Click for map. On the east side of Vernon Square. Marker is in this post office area: Darien GA 31305, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Bank of Darien (a few steps from this marker); Vernon Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Methodists at Darien (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint Cyprian's Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); The Burning of Darien (about 700 feet away); Oglethorpe Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbus Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Oglethorpe Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Darien.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 820 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.