Darien in McIntosh County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Bank of Darien
With Branches in Savannah, Macon, Milledgeville, Marion, Dahlonega, Aruria and Augusta, the Bank of Darien was a powerful force in Agricultural and Commercial activities in Georgia. It also financed the gold fields of North Georgia and North Carolina.
An important factor in the economy of the South, the Bank was at one time the depository for $1,400,000 in Federal Revenues. The Bank of Darien became deeply involved in politics and during the latter years of its operation was the center of bitter controversy. Its charter was terminated by the State Legislature in 1841.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 095-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 22.094′ N, 81° 25.943′ W. Marker is in Darien, Georgia, in McIntosh Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darien GA 31305, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church (a few steps from this marker); Vernon Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Methodists at Darien (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint Cyprian's Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); The Burning of Darien (about 700 feet away); Oglethorpe Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort King George (approx. 0.2 miles away); Darien (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Darien.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 892 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.