Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Townsend in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Union Methodist Church

 
 
Old Union Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
1. Old Union Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. A log church was built here in 1789 on land donated by Joseph Dickinson. The church was named "Dickinson's Chapel" in his honor. Francis Asbury and many other pioneers of American Methodism conducted services here. Levi Scott, a native of this area and member of the church, became the first Delawarean to serve as a Methodist bishop. He is interred in the adjoining cemetery. The present church was constructed in 1847. Then known as Union Methodist Episcopal Church, it continued to serve the families of Appoquinimink Hundred until the early 1900s, when regular services sere discontinued. The Old Union Church Society was organized in 1939 to preserve the church and grounds. In 1973, Union Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 2001 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-117.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
 
Location. 39° 23.276′ N, 75° 39.769′ W. Marker is in Townsend, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Union Church Road 0.1 miles east of US 13, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Townsend DE 19734, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Old Union Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
2. Old Union Methodist Church
8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scott Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Blackbird School (District No. 69) (approx. 1.3 miles away); Duncan Beard (approx. 3.8 miles away); Taylor's Bridge School (approx. 4.1 miles away); This Tree Was Living When William Penn Came to Pennsylvania (approx. 4.2 miles away); Three Welsh Members (approx. 4.2 miles away); Old St. Anne's (approx. 4.3 miles away); Former Site of the Alston and Hunn Farms (approx. 4.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Townsend.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
Stone over Door image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
3. Stone over Door
Union M. E. Church A. D. 1847
Old Union Methodist Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
4. Old Union Methodist Church Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,951 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement